Tue, Jun


FC Santa Rosa’s Big Cannons could not defend itself from a red-hot Guaya United in Sunday’s League One challenge at the Guayaguayaye Recreation Ground. The leaders continued their winning ways with a 2-0 triumph in front their home fans and opened up a nine-points advantage on the defending champions who have now sunk to fifth on the 12-team standings.

The Big Cannons were beaming with confidence following the return of striker Keron Clarke from national duty, but at the end of the 90 minutes Clarke had just the yellow card to show for his team as the Big Cannons went silent. The home team, which started on 19 points, instead raced to 22 points after Shaquille Ferrier broke the deadlock in the 85th minute before they confirmed the victory with an 87th minute item from Beville Joseph.

The defeat resulted in a deafening silence from the Big Cannons who have been stuck on 13 points for the past two matches while Defence Force, the University of T&T and Queen’s Park have leapfrogged them in second, third and fourth positions respectively.

The Army Coast Guard Combination came from behind to beat WASA 3-2 in the feature match of a double header at the Ato Boldon Stadium Couva on Sunday to receive the three points that pushed them to 18 after eight games. WASA got off to a perfect start when Michael Lee Celestine fired them in front in the 19th minute. And they were sailing at 2-0 in the 26th when Dwight Crichlow had the Army goalie beaten for a second time in the game.

However WASA had little time to celebrate their second goal when Corey Rivers pulled one back in the 27th minute to send his team to the dressing room trailing by one (2-1). Seven minutes after the resumption Dexter Thornhill levelled the scores for the Defence Force, who scored again in the 89th to seal the win.

Meanwhile the opening match at the Couva venue saw UTT and Cunupia FC sharing the points in a tame 1-1 draw. The Central team got the opener early from Michael Darko but Isaiah Mejias equalised later for the UTT, moving them to third on the table with a superior goal-difference to The Parkites, as Queen’s Park CC are now affectionately called.

At the training field of the Hasely Crawford Stadium the Parkites got a single goal from Kevaughn John in the 25th to prevail over Siparia Spurs 1-0, while at the Canaan Bon Accord Recreation Ground in Tobago, the home team 1976 Phoenix got its first victory of the season, by edging Club Sando Moruga 2-1 to move to 10th with six points.

After three drawn matches, Phoenix thought they were in for another defeat when Kyle Morgan gave the visitors the lead in the 11th minute. But goals from Leandro Williams in the 14th and a penalty from James Thomas on the stroke of injury time handed them maximum points.

In another game Bethel FC and Police played to a goalless draw at the Montgomery Recreation Ground in Tobago.

Next Super League Matches

Super League Results

Super League Top Scorers