April 20, 2024, 12:08:10 AM

Author Topic: Build that rail.  (Read 52427 times)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Contract for billion-dollar rail system by September.
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2008, 09:20:04 AM »
This ia ha old thread, I just wanted to know if this ever materialized.

The last thing I heard just this week, was that it was put on hold because there were too many questions surrounding the bidding process that need to be answered.....

whattt..since when?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Contract for billion-dollar rail system by September.
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2008, 11:18:53 AM »
pre-election rhetoric

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Rapid Rail may go underground
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »
Rapid Rail may go underground
By ANDRE BAGOO Thursday, February 12 2009

THE GOVERNMENT may take the billion-dollar Rapid Rail project underground by constructing tunnels for the proposed railway beneath Port-of-Spain, akin to subway systems in metropolitan centres like New York and London, project sources disclosed this week.

French consultants working for the TriniTrain Consortium arrived in the country three months ago and are currently investigating the possibility of taking the $7billion rail system underground as a way of avoiding restrictions of land availability in the southeast section of Port-of-Spain where the Northern Range meets the Caroni Swamp, forming a virtual bottleneck into and out of the city.

Next year, the consultants are expected to submit a final report detailing data collected from their investigation, route information as well as a preliminary design to the National Infrastructure Development Company (NIDCO), the state company charged with implementing the ambitious rail project.

“An overland system would require us to acquire land, and to build the rail tracks on elevated platforms, that could be expensive,” one source told Newsday. “We are looking at taking it underground, beneath the utilities, as an alternative. The only land acquisition that would be required would then be land for entrances and exits, air ducts and emergency tunnels.”

Asked how such an underground system will deal with flooding, the source said, “there are ways to deal with that.”

“Many people may have ruled underground out because of the coastal soil conditions, but that is not so,” the source added.

Newsday also understands that the Government has briefed TriniTrain, asking them to examine the possibility of extending the reach of the rail system, which consultants say may not be a form of light railway, but a full-fledged rail system with sections tapering off into light rail/tram services in less populous areas.

Originally, the rail system has been planned to be a 72-mile stretch of rail, including one limb across the East-West corridor from Westmoorings to Sangre Grande, and another limb extending North-South from El Socorro to San Fernando.

But the Ministry of Works and Transport is adamant that the rail service should not only serve already existing distributions of populations, but also spread into uninhabited areas, the idea being to encourage development.

Consultants have also been given extended briefs to include designs not only for railway stops, but also designs for urban spaces surrounding planned stations, which may include park areas and walkways. Very little information has been released about the Rapid Rail project since the Government signed a $453million contract for the first phase of the project, involving the design and development, with consortium TriniTrain on April 11, 2008. But behind the scenes, officials working for the consortium, which comprises Bouygues Travaux Publics SA, Alstom Transport SA, and RATP Développement SA, have been quietly conducting site-visits across Trinidad with a view to ascertaining a possible route for the railway as well as the appropriate number of stops required.

They are understood to have encountered several difficulties with regard to information gathering, with maps and plans provided by local bodies and setting out water and electric utilities turning out to be outdated.

One Canadian consultant, who visited the country before Christmas last year, also privately complained that, in the consultant’s view, the rapid rail project would be too expensive and not cost effective. But other consultants differed on this issue.

The total rapid rail project is estimated to cost more than $7billion. At one stage, the estimated cost was stated at $15billion. The second phase of the project, expected to begin next year, involves design and construction while a third phase, expected in 2012, will see the start of operations and maintenance.

Send t
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Rapid Rail may go underground
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2009, 07:42:43 PM »
hmmmmm look ting
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2009, 07:47:28 PM »
cyar wuk.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2009, 07:55:54 PM »
cyar wuk.

why not?

it go be real wicked to take ah subway to maracas an ting

man jumpin turnstile in talparo go be normal
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »
Under what ground ??? Next thing he buy 3rd hand train and people get stick under ground....dat is riot right dere. Look one of dey speedo boats on dry land already.

steupse!!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2009, 11:38:28 PM »
like dem didnt see the flood port of spain had?  Want to see wat kind of draining system them have

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2009, 11:52:22 PM »
It would be nice to have the rapid rail, but honestly, I can't see that being underground. The EW corridor is a sea level. Flooding go destroy that subway. We already deficient in maintenace. from POS to ElSocoro  it will have to go in the air and probably on surface after that. But underground!!!! Boy oh boy!!!!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2009, 11:54:41 PM »
It would be nice to have the rapid rail, but honestly, I can't see that being underground. The EW corridor is a sea level. Flooding go destroy that subway. We already deficient in maintenace. from POS to ElSocoro  it will have to go in the air and probably on surface after that. But underground!!!! Boy oh boy!!!!

Dem cant even maintain the roads to Maracas Bay or La Brea Pitch Lake and them want to put underground tracks. one big steups

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2009, 03:52:51 PM »
like dem didnt see the flood port of spain had?  Want to see wat kind of draining system them have
yes sir
post man

buh wait, the government tinkin way ahead of us all man :o
they go use the subway tunnels as the storm drains :devil: :devil:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:55:04 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2009, 05:15:08 PM »
Westcoast,
                   Good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I would really like for them to build a rapid Transit. But up in the air. I ainst nothing on the ground and underground

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »
Westcoast,
                   Good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I would really like for them to build a rapid Transit. But up in the air. I ainst nothing on the ground and underground
yeah maybe something like this
but that will be more costly than at street level and I think street level good enough...
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2009, 05:38:38 PM »
WestCoast,
                       That can work in TT. It would not hamper vehicular traffic. With the surface rail you have to worry about level crossings at Morvant, Croisee, Aranguez, Mt Lambert, Champ Fleur, St. Joseph etc. Would they go under the level crossings? I just don't trust them people back home with maintenance. Check out this BRT in one of the Chinese city.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=738686

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »
Steups they want to dig tunnels in swamp lol.
Just put some elevated tracks nah man.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »
WestCoast,
                       That can work in TT. It would not hamper vehicular traffic. With the surface rail you have to worry about level crossings at Morvant, Croisee, Aranguez, Mt Lambert, Champ Fleur, St. Joseph etc. Would they go under the level crossings? I just don't trust them people back home with maintenance. Check out this BRT in one of the Chinese city.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=738686

Yeah, I would prefer that Elevated priority bus ruote as you can use the buses off the elevated portions
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:37:07 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2009, 06:00:58 PM »
You know the Chinese just sign an agreement with the Saudis to build a rapid rail from Jeddah to Mecca and Medina.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2009, 08:04:45 AM »
No way that could happen. With the flooding that goes on. Another thing no one recognised, IT TOO DAMN HOT FOR ANYTHING LIKE TO GO UNDER GROUND. Anybody ever travel the NY Subway in summer? Pure pressure. ;D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2009, 08:11:26 AM »
just use the blimp to pull bull.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2009, 09:59:44 AM »

<wipes away tears>

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
yes sir
post man

buh wait, the government tinkin way ahead of us all man :o
they go use the subway tunnels as the storm drains :devil: :devil:

:rotfl:

With all that money they claim to had to believe they afford to fight crime.  If there was more cops than bad man you think there will be high crime rates.  Recruit and pay them cops right outta primary school.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2009, 09:13:50 PM »
Anybody ever travel the NY Subway in summer? Pure pressure. ;D

De Worse!!!  Even at 2 am

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2009, 07:01:08 PM »

<wipes away tears>

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Not you alone girl....ah lord aye....ah love dis site.... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2009, 07:33:13 PM »
NY subway is not the only model to pattern your subway after. They could come to DC and check it out. It have A/C. It doh be hot in the summer in DC. As a matter of fact when they have could red days in the summer, the DC metro is one of the better place to be. But Elevated rails for TT. No underground. Them tunnel going to be gigantic sewer pipes in the rainy season.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2009, 07:46:09 PM »
trini subway will be like the NY subways in the eighties ,after a while  :o Death Wish style.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2009, 07:49:05 PM »
I really hope not.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »
A little girl cant even get the bus in broad daylight ,imagine late night underground ha.Not to mention the amount of ppl who will get pushed  ,just yesterday rite in the GT two girls get pushed ,they hold the man girls ok.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:58:32 PM by Quagmire »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »

I know d man 2 b at d helm of dat project.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2009, 09:21:06 PM »
I heard the the proposed rail system is going to be  put on hold. It is a pity, because I think we need some kind of rail service because we have limited space to build more roads. The reason I resurrected this post is because I just read where Dubai(have money to burn) just open their metro. This part runs above ground. It would be nice if we can build something close to that.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=367984&page=30

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2009, 11:35:21 PM »
I heard the the proposed rail system is going to be  put on hold. It is a pity, because I think we need some kind of rail service because we have limited space to build more roads. The reason I resurrected this post is because I just read where Dubai(have money to burn) just open their metro. This part runs above ground. It would be nice if we can build something close to that.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=367984&page=30

Cosignnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>