March 28, 2024, 03:16:55 AM

Author Topic: Mike Berry: Enjoy the euphoria.  (Read 5680 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Mike Berry: Enjoy the euphoria.
« on: January 18, 2006, 05:22:49 AM »
Enjoy the euphoria...says TTFF’s Mike Berry.
By: Jovan Ravello (Guardian).
[/size]

Characteristically busy in the weeks following his appointment as T&T Football Federation’s Consultant for International Affairs, Mike Berry got around to speaking to the ARENA about his new responsibility to T&T football.
Berry’s expertise will be used in a supportive role with particular reference to the logistics in connection with friendly games, base camps, scouting, media relations and publicity leading up to and including the World Cup in the UK and Europe.
The Englishman is particularly concerned that T&T has failed to capitilised on the euphoria which qualifying for the Germany World Cup has provided and wants to ensure that that is changed.
“It is with great sadness that I keep reading and hearing all the negative nonsense being spouted,” Berry mused, “at a time when we should be using this phenomenal achievement as a vehicle to inspire the youth of the country to follow in the footsteps of the heroic squad of players who have striven so hard to provide their country with glory and honour.”
He suggested that the Government, Opposition, the press and the corporate sector should be united in their stance to create an ongoing feeling of euphoria, “which we all tasted so briefly when our heroes returned home in November.”
“In my opinion, the nation should be proud that the Soca Warriors will be competing on the same stage as the biggest countries in the world.
“I can still remember to this day, the fantastic feeling as a young boy when my dad took me to see England play in the World Cup in 1966 and I never forget it.
“Young Trinidadians from every part of the nation will get that same feeling in June and indeed on May 10, when we play Peru in the Hasely Crawford Stadium when I hope we will see the biggest send-off party T&T has every witnessed.
“In fact I am sure it will make the triumphant return last November seem like a Sunday stroll around the Savannah.
“We are very fortunate to have qualified so let’s enjoy every moment and support the boys and indeed everyone who played a part in this glorious achievement not least the fans who have been nothing short of outstanding at every qualifier.”
Berry who is responsible for the careers of Carlos Edwards, Hector Sam, Kelvin Jack and Clayton Ince, to name a few suggested that the success has been derailed by the negativity and sniping at FIFA vice-president Austin Jack Warner.
“Mr Warner is a man who has been pilloried and criticised in abundance in the last few weeks, which is unfortunate. He was truly the driving force throughout the World Cup campaign and has lived and breathed every moment from match one to the final whistle in Bahrain.
“I can tell you, as someone who has witnessed all these key players close up that his personal vision and incredible belief made sure that all the decisive moves were made at the crucial times,” Berry said.
“He was the only one who supported (ex-national coach) Bertille St Clair to the hilt when everybody was calling for his head.
“He also was the one to terminate the arrangement after bad licks in Guatemala and then after great deliberation and consultation, made the decision to appoint Leo and continued to fund and support the World Cup quest with an unrivalled passion at every stage.
“I have been fortunate to meet many great men in my life, particularly in football, and I rank him (Warner) very high on that list but more importantly the quality that strikes me is that he is a passionate Trini who adores his country and its culture.
“He is also a massive figure in World Football and is both influential and respected despite his sniping detractors.”
Berry continued to relate his personal experience with Warner as testament to his dedication to the cause.
“During the World Cup campaign his charismatic personality has had a most positive effect on the team management and players alike and his motivational skills in the dressing room and with the genuine fans on the terraces can only be admired.
“There is no doubting he is a “football man tuh de bone” and the players love him so say what you like about him, he was the catalyst that brought glory to T&T and the nation should be truly proud of him.
“One thing is for sure there are and will be many people — who have contributed zero to the campaign other than barbed criticism and negative remarks and who were conspicuous by their absence prior to qualification — crawling out of the woodwork to jump on the bandwagon.
“It is a sobering thought that we only have less than six months to enjoy the World Cup experience and to give the youths of T&T a feeling of pride like never before,” Berry lamented.
“After all, we have spent more than 15 years bemoaning the fact that we missed out against the USA so let’s not waste time and squeeze every moment of enjoyment out of the next six months and you will remember them for the rest of your lives.”
Berry said he was delighted to be given the chance to work with Warner, The T&TFF, Leo (Beenhakker), Wim (Risjbergen), Bruce (Aanensen) and of course our World Cup Heroes the Soca Warriors.
“After some seven years of working closely in T&T with all levels of football and also representing many of the Soca Warriors, it is a great pleasure for me to provide my services and support at this most exciting period in the history of T&T football,” the registered FIFA agent said.
He gave special praise to the 300-400 fans who followed the team to Bahrain and provided support for the team. “I will never forget that. It was really appreciated by Leo and the team.
“I would also mention three key players in particular who I will enjoy working with,” Berry continued. “Firstly, Leo Beenhakker who should be praised for such a great job in such a short time. We are fortunate to have such an experienced and well respected coach taking us to Germany. We should not forget his assistant Wim Risjbergen who played in both the 1974 and 1978 World Cup finals for Holland and who brings such attention to detail and professionalism to his coaching role.
“My good friend Bruce Aanensen, who was thrown right in at the deep end in his new role as team manager, should be commended for his cool professional approach to a pressurised job which he carries out with such good humour and style.”

Mike Berry.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Berry: Enjoy the euphoria.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 06:10:11 AM »
I wonder if they smell of shit on his nose affects him ?

by the way I not wearing a shirt saying we cumin that would be too much jokes from other countries
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 06:17:31 AM »

by the way I not wearing a shirt saying we cumin that would be too much jokes from other countries

Yuh read mih mind pardner.
Man doh think before dey put ting of jersey or wha ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 09:04:43 AM »
I wonder if they smell of shit on his nose affects him ?

I wearing that.

When gyul see me and hear meh accent they does melt, so just imagine if I combine that with something like that shirt that say "we cumin"

Dem gurls go be sayin......when Trini? I want to help you....(even the ones in dey redneck accent tuh boot).

GERMANY WE CUMIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 09:16:19 AM »
Well cumin is another name for geera so I hope the man who wanted "soca chutney warriors" is happy.

Seriously though that jersey is so poorly conceived it is not even funny.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 01:58:04 PM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 09:23:27 AM »
just when you thought you saw the worst........

we "cum" -in ?

jeez !!!!!!!

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 09:31:21 AM »
Was that photo in the papers? Lord have mercy...

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 09:33:04 AM »
I buying that one for sure

That shirt is real kicks

Sam I go buy one for you but I go have to print an extra word on it for you.

Cumin "Quick"

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 11:34:28 AM »
How about " Just cum "
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 11:44:57 AM »
i think the shirt is a testament to the virility and sexual prowess of trini man (well me anyway).

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »
count me too ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior