March 29, 2024, 09:34:33 AM

Author Topic: Soca Warriors' merchandise on sale Monday.  (Read 19700 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Soca Warriors' merchandise on sale Monday.
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:01:09 AM »
Soca Warriors' merchandise on sale Monday.
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).
[/size]

From as early as Monday, members of the public can start collecting their official "Soca Warriors" memorabilia ahead of the national team's debut at the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany in June.
Yesterday, T&T Germany 2006 launched their official "Soca Warriors" merchandise and announced the authorised distributors as Standard Distributors Ltd, York Garments Ltd and KFC.
Patrons can purchase official caps and T-shirts bearing the Soca Warriors' shield and logo from next week, with other items, such as key chains, bottle openers, bottle coolers, travel mugs, beer mugs, handbags and cell phone cases being introduced by the end of February.
KFC will be offering Soca Warriors copybooks, visors and posters only.
"...We are not only launching a range of football-related merchandise, but memorabilia of a proud, historic moment for Trinidad and Tobago," Trinidad and Tobago senior team manager Bruce Aanansen told the gathering yesterday at the memorabilia launch at the cinema lobby of Movie Towne, Invaders Bay.
"People will wear these items or own them with pride. It becomes the way we individually connect to our national team's presence upon the hallowed football fields of the largest, most exciting sporting event on the Earth, the FIFA World Cup," said Aanansen.
Purchasers of the Soca Warriors memorabilia will also be supporting the national footballers, as a substantial percentage of earnings from sales will go directly towards the players themselves, according to Aanansen.
"It is important to note here that these distributors have agreed to contribute significant portions of the sales of these items back to the Soca Warriors," Aanansen disclosed.
"In fact, the minimum return on the sale price of items such as T-shirts and caps would be 49 per cent."
Aanensen also announced that 30 per cent of the proceeds will "go to the player's pool for the benefit of the players".
The T&T manager also warned against unlicensed entities producing items that do not bear the Soca Warriors official shield and logo, as well as that of the T&TFF, saying there have already been cases where such retailers are even using the phrase, 'part proceds go towards the Soca Warriors', adding that the Federation's legal team was looking at that situation.
"There is no relationship between the T&TFF, the Soca Wariors, and those items which are sold by any distributor other than those announced today," he stressed.
"We urge members of the public not to support the sale of fake merchandise which robs members of the national team of their hard-earned, well-deserved incentives."
In addition to the accessories launched yesterday, T&T Germany 2006 co-ordinator Peter O'Connor revealed the official replica adidas kit is soon to arrive in Trinidad and Tobago next month, giving a likely date of February 10. FIFA will also be releasing a "limited quantity" of official Germany 2006 items for retail in T&T.

Official T&T Soca Warriors merchandise can be purchased from the following outlets:

Standard Distributors (ANSA House; Queen and Henry Sts; Princes Town; Grand Bazaar; Western Main Road; Coffee St; High St; Old Blanchisseuse Rd; the Croisee; and Milford Road, Tobago) and York Garments (El Socorro; Abercromby St; Frederick St; Piarco International Airport; and Crown Point Airport).

Trinidad and Tobago "Soca Warriors" Anthony Wolfe, second from left, Cyd Gray, centre, and Silvio Spann admire the official memorabilia as the "Warrior Girls" look on following the launch of the national team's merchandise at the cinema lobby of MovieTowne yesterday. The girls are outfitted in the official national costumes, part of the T&T brand to be showcased in Germany at the World Cup in June.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Corbie chile

• meh mudda an faddah chile...
  • Jr. Warrior
  • i love being me....
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors' merchandise on sale Monday.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 04:52:08 AM »
what about us, the outside nationals? :angel:
who vex loss

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 07:53:56 AM »
why these warriror girls outfits patterned after North American Native Americans? i didn't realize we had a large Native American population in trinidad.

just showing how people fricking brainwash yes.

why not dress them like limbo dancers or pan women or anything more representative of trini culture?

ok. i done. let me go clean out mih tee pee then put on some mocassins and go hunt buffalo with mih boh and arrow now.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 07:59:36 AM »
why these warriror girls outfits patterned after North American Native Americans? i didn't realize we had a large Native American population in trinidad.

why not dress them like limbo dancers or pan women or anything more representative of trini culture?

ok. i done. let me go clean out mih tee pee then put on some mocassins and go hunt buffalo with mih boh and arrow now.

;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:09:42 AM »
But Indian costumes have been around a long time, why the fuss ? Why does carnival costumes should only be limbo dancers or pan women ? we are a mix country, and yes, they can dress like Indians, it dont have to necessary mean American Indians, maybe it looks good....

Grow up man...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:12:38 AM by Flex »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 08:11:40 AM »
sando,

please explain to me in what way american indians have anything to do with trini culture.

once again, the nation being portrayed as on of mimic men and women.

Offline Corbie chile

• Jr. Warrior
  • i love being me....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 08:16:33 AM »
sando,

please explain to me in what way american indians have anything to do with trini culture.

once again, the nation being portrayed as on of mimic men and women.
okay...before yuh pelt meh, hear meh out...

look back to our carnival costumes *yes, before de itsy-bitsy thong bikini monstrosity* and you'll realise that our 'real' masmen have been enchanting us with fancy sailors and American Indian coustumes for decades! yes, it is a soon-to-be lost art, but wire-bending comes into its own in the headpieces for these costumes...

daiis jus my two cents...stone meh an leave meh in de canal now... ;D
who vex loss

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 08:22:10 AM »
Andre, American Indian costumes have nothing to do with Trini culture, and as I said, maybe it looks good so they used it.

In Trinidad you see Indian costumes for ages now, why is it now an issue. I am sure it have many other costumes that will be used.

Dont you know the youths in T&T do not give a shit about culture anymore, so therefore Carnival isn't a cultural thing anymore for many, its a big fete...

Look at our music, it doesn't even sound like calypso anymore..... not to mention Pan, Pan is dead in T&T, our youths have no morals or love for T&T.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:26:30 AM by Flex »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 08:28:29 AM »
sando, cezzie:

i see and respect allyuh points. i know and appreciate the ole time mas of mih grandparents time. indeed, many carnival mas bands have themes totally foreign to t&t. but i think that if we are on the world stage, we need to represent trini culture to the fullest (in spite of what de worthless youths up to with they damn cable tv and sean jean). IMHO, dressing as American Indians do not do this.

Offline Corbie chile

• Jr. Warrior
  • i love being me....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 08:30:59 AM »
fair point, Andre...but what is Trini culture exactly? how can we represent that which we do not know? :angel:
who vex loss

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 08:35:15 AM »
But hold on Andre, ent we taking 3 rhythm sections to Germany.... let everyone get a piece of the pie to nah...

Cosmopolitan my friend... we are....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:39:18 AM by Flex »

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 08:50:00 AM »
who doing the marketing for these men? the Socawarriors logo is a stupid knight helment in front of a knight's shield but the official national costume is an American Indian outfit. i thought one of the purposes of a branding and marketing campaign is to communicate a consistent image and message.

Offline Corbie chile

• Jr. Warrior
  • i love being me....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 08:50:53 AM »
But hold on Andre, ent we taking 3 rhythm sections to Germany.... let everyone get a piece of the pie to nah...

Cosmopolitan my friend... we are....
ah hope ah geiin ah du-dup, tassa an quatro from dat line up! ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:54:09 AM by Corbie chile »
who vex loss

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 08:58:49 AM »
put me dong for a bottle and spoon.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 09:18:33 PM »
de man with de red cap looking like Dwight oui  ;D

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 09:43:17 PM »

Fellas this is serious thing, really why the AMERICAN INDIAN portrayal???, my friends here laughing at me, asking me what tribe I from, that aint no representation of Trini. Somebody on that marketing team need a good cut ass,  is that we going and portray to the world?? They should put some more thought into that man, it embarrasing..

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 09:57:26 PM »
I agree that the National team which is now representing Trinidad more than ever internationally should not be using Native American headdresses as representation. Although that type of costume may have been a part of carnival for years, it is just that, a small part. For international representation it is the wrong choice.

On another point: As you may be aware there is also a Native American movement that wants all sporting teams to stop using them as some kind of mascot, thinking it denigrates them in some way. Here's just one example:

http://www.main.nc.us/wncceib/jaceweaverreport.htm

"The headdress is clearly composed of many eagle feathers. Eagle feathers are sacred not only to many different tribal traditions but also to the Native American Church, which uses them as part of prayer. Eagle feathers are especially sacred because it is believed that the eagle flies the highest of any bird and thus is closest to the creator. Representations of eagle feathers would be religious in nature and the manner of display would be offensive to many Native Americans."

But that's another whole debate by itself.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 10:02:57 PM by e-man »

TrinInfinite

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 10:55:12 PM »

i agree  :beermug: im a nationalist in every sense of de word

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 11:30:42 PM »
It does really make you ask what dem fellas thinking.....But it look like them not thinking...You need someone with an international understanding..Dem acting like they making thing for Trinidad alone.steeeeuppps.  >:(
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Corbie chile

• Jr. Warrior
  • i love being me....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 04:15:40 AM »
I agree that the National team which is now representing Trinidad more than ever internationally should not be using Native American headdresses as representation. Although that type of costume may have been a part of carnival for years, it is just that, a small part. For international representation it is the wrong choice.

On another point: As you may be aware there is also a Native American movement that wants all sporting teams to stop using them as some kind of mascot, thinking it denigrates them in some way. Here's just one example:

http://www.main.nc.us/wncceib/jaceweaverreport.htm

"The headdress is clearly composed of many eagle feathers. Eagle feathers are sacred not only to many different tribal traditions but also to the Native American Church, which uses them as part of prayer. Eagle feathers are especially sacred because it is believed that the eagle flies the highest of any bird and thus is closest to the creator. Representations of eagle feathers would be religious in nature and the manner of display would be offensive to many Native Americans."

But that's another whole debate by itself.
okay e-man...i like the way you put this across...and because of that, i'm prepared to relinquish my attachment to the 'old-time' carnival sentimentality in this instance... :-*
who vex loss

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 07:17:33 AM »

Fellas this is serious thing, really why the AMERICAN INDIAN portrayal???, my friends here laughing at me, asking me what tribe I from, that aint no representation of Trini. Somebody on that marketing team need a good cut ass,  is that we going and portray to the world?? They should put some more thought into that man, it embarrasing..

yuh feel carib iz just ah beer or what.

trini had tribes too pardner. america was not the only people with natives

yuh tink arawak iz just chiken people too ent
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 07:25:27 AM »
Why alyuh doe just dress back and watch the girls and relax.

We only studying how we go look, if we should put Chutney in we name,how we go jump up in the stands, what kinda music we showcasing to the world, how we need some pan on we uniform......yadda yadda..... and we losing the plot.

We have to showcase to the world how to play football!

Thats it! FOOTBALL get it.

Nobody studying indian feather when yuh side gettin wash 4-0 in the first half.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 07:30:20 AM »

Fellas this is serious thing, really why the AMERICAN INDIAN portrayal???, my friends here laughing at me, asking me what tribe I from, that aint no representation of Trini. Somebody on that marketing team need a good cut ass,  is that we going and portray to the world?? They should put some more thought into that man, it embarrasing..

yuh feel carib iz just ah beer or what.

trini had tribes too pardner. america was not the only people with natives

yuh tink arawak iz just chiken people too ent

American Indian and Caribs and Arawaks are completely different. Show me a Carib with eagle feathes in they hair and Arawaks were very peaceful, not warriors.

Morvant i understand your reasoning, and ah not sure if you serious or  kicksin, but ah hope is the latter.   :beermug:

But the gyal stilll look good in she lil outfit though ;D ;D

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2006, 07:37:29 AM »
Why alyuh doe just dress back and watch the girls and relax.

We only studying how we go look, if we should put Chutney in we name,how we go jump up in the stands, what kinda music we showcasing to the world, how we need some pan on we uniform......yadda yadda..... and we losing the plot.

We have to showcase to the world how to play football!

Thats it! FOOTBALL get it.

Nobody studying indian feather when yuh side gettin wash 4-0 in the first half.

Toches ah fell yuh dey,  I just feel a lill stronger about the whole thing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 07:41:51 AM by College »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2006, 07:38:04 AM »
nah but seriously I think they use the indian headress ting because it is more appealing to the eye and it not offending any of the various ethnic groups in TT.Think about it we accustommed to that kinda mas and dress Carnival time, it lil warriorish too.

What pray tell is our native dress?

It cant be a indian sari and some among us will be vex that skin exposed.
It cyar be a Washerwoman slave garb like yuh modelling for Best Village, we move away from that.
It cyar be a Carib getup because those natural colours doe cut it on TV and man will want to know what tribe from the Amazon we come from.
people doe dress like no Chinee, Syrian or any other ethnic minority group
down here.

So after yuh look good and hard........see who yuh could offend with the least amount of backlash and what would be the least resistance.

Put two BEST TING in a Apache Kit and have they TOTOTS showing  ;D

All problem solve.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 07:54:13 AM »
Nothing wrong with dem woman and dem!! What alyuh want we tuh wear? what is our culture?

limbo clothes?.........GOPIO go get vex!

shiv shakti clothes?........ORISHAS go get vex!

I like wat dem girls have, and if dey pass close enough, some small wine go pass!!

We getting to hyper for too much ah shit, if is not one ting is de next!!

We need to relax ourselves and love up de football, cause its football we come to play!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 08:00:10 AM »
I agree ,the gyul look good, the costume looks great, the lil red whit and black, I could do without the feathers though, it look too much like American thing and I is a short man, so when ah tiefing meh lil wine, all them damn feathers go be right in meh face ;D ;D

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 08:15:52 AM »
I guess yuh eh playing Tribe this year then?

truetrini

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 08:24:06 AM »
lol..allyuh killing meh here with dis shit talk.

culture?

Anything we create around carnival is we culture.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2006, 09:40:25 AM »
Aye ppl talking about what we are accustomed too,but this is not about what we are accustomed too,it's about who and what we are as a people,it's all about identity,we have to portray the the things that make us different and stand out against the rest of the world.

I will always have to refer to Jamaica,this is what make them who they are,look at the uniform they wore at the last WC ppl up here still wear and buy it,look at the design on it,it relates to them,same music,lifestyle,the way they talk,any where they go it's the same,plus they are together and look out for each other.

I'm not saying they are better than us but why can't we have our own identity,it's a stupid mentality we have that foreign is better,i will not be surprised if one day some foreign country take over here with this cosmopolitan shit ppl talking about.

1]; } ?>