April 28, 2024, 10:55:16 AM

Author Topic: Four clubs want in on Pro League.  (Read 10035 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Four clubs want in on Pro League.
« on: February 01, 2006, 12:47:57 PM »
Four clubs want in on Pro League.
By Joel Villafana (ttproleague.com).

At least four clubs are expressing interest in competing in this years T&T Pro League. The League’s CEO Dexter Skeene confirmed the defending Super League and Knockout champions Joe Public, Mayaro Spurs, Point Fortin Civic Center and Starworld Strikers have all expressed interest.
Mr. Skeene said discussions are ongoing with the four clubs.
“We have received written request from Mayaro Spurs and Point Fortin Civic Center, while talks are taking place between the League and Joe Public,” Skeene added “Starworld Strikers have already signaled their intentions to rejoin the League after they opted out 2 seasons ago for personal reasons and since then their owner has been in dialogue with us.”
Skeene however, indicated, “At the board level it was decided that we are very happy with a maximum of eight clubs, however if we are to add any club at this moment, the maximum we will be willing to reach is ten clubs.”
“This will allow us the chance to continue to run the League in an efficient manner and it will also ensure the quality of football will be maintained at a very high level, ended Skeene.”
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 03:08:54 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Four clubs want in on Pro League
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 12:54:20 PM »
8 teams is not enough for a bonafide league.

bring in the South teams & public man.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 12:58:01 PM »
Yuh right.  How many times they go play each other.  You need to have at least ten teams.  Fifteen is a good league, but we might not have enough parity to have so many teams.  Bring back my boys Starworld Strikers.  ALi make ah big mistake in withdrawing them from the league in the first place.  He feel things does happen overnight and lose patience. 

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 01:00:12 PM »
What is the use of more teams if some of them not good enough to win a game.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 01:11:25 PM »
let the 4 of them play a mini round robin tournament top two get to go.

Is there relegation and promotion in the leagues in Trini? or are the leagues completely separate?

if two left how many would be left back in the league they move from?

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 01:29:44 PM »
 This would be great for the league...As long as they could get the right sponsorship...we will create a high standard league...Them new teams might bring out crowds like intercol

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 01:39:06 PM »
Scotland is bigger than us and they can't even find enough players to have a viable league with 12 teams for the SPL. At least half of that league poor.
To have 10 teams in T&T seems to be ideal....but they need more incentive so there should be at least a relegation and promotion battle involving the super league. There need to be more risk involved in losing game. Tobago United lost majority of their games and I believe they are still in the league.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 01:51:04 PM »

is only tobago utd. who can't win. must be travel problems.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 01:58:56 PM »
10 Sound good, but I not sure if there is a relegation/promotion type system between the pro league and super league. I think that would be something to look at.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »
“Starworld Strikers have already signaled their intentions to rejoin the League after they opted out 2 seasons ago for personal reasons .......”

i wanna know how a club does have personal problems  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 02:51:55 PM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 02:54:56 PM »

What yuh mean, jet lag?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Four clubs want in on Pro League.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 03:13:58 PM »
yeah skeene talking  about the quality of the league and tobago united eh win a game since. steeps at leat 12 teams will be good.
I also think the super league should have an under 19 and under 17 competition
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 03:18:59 PM »
I want to know how a team could have personal problems too oui  :rotfl:

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 04:09:45 PM »

I'm sure they had the relegation system before.

I don't think all the teams in the Super League could live up to the requirements(financial and otherwise) of the Pro League so having a promotion system might be a farse if you have to go all the way to 3rd,4th place finishers who eligible.

Tobago United should definitely be under review.
Yuh would think the sole team from Tobago would want to represent a lil better.  :-\

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 04:15:16 PM »
Tobago United Loosing because they want to loose.

They owner have a dream that he want only Tobago Youth on his team but most of tobago done lock off football.

By not beefing up his team they are loosing but he is thinking long term so we will see how it go.

The top super league teams will hold their own in the Pro league.

Lack of competition in the legue is not because of lack of players, is because of lack of money from the teams to attract the good players.

It have plenty players in TnT but men not on football because the money is small.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 05:01:23 PM »
Tobago United Loosing because they want to loose.

They owner have a dream that he want only Tobago Youth on his team but most of tobago done lock off football.

By not beefing up his team they are loosing but he is thinking long term so we will see how it go.

that sound like the thinking some of the Basque teams in Spain have - Basque only team.

didn't Joe Public withdraw from the PFL at some point because the PFL board fall out with Jack Warner?

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 05:10:43 PM »
Ten teams sounds about right. If you want to increase our talent pool each team should  include two or three of the better players from other carribbean countries.Each team should be allowed no more then five foreign players.This will help develop not only our players but some carribbean players as well.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 05:20:33 PM »
Each team should be allowed no more then five foreign players.This will help develop not only our players but some carribbean players as well.

Are we allowed to restrict the number of players from Barbados, Jamaica, Belize and Guyana or would they not be counted for the foreign quota?

We have the CSM part of Caribbean Single Market and Economy up and running so I doh think they should count.

I would say have an unlimited number of players from Caricom countries....it will work out better for us to have a strong league and our players could more than compete with the best from the Caribbean.

Offline breezers

• Hero Warrior
  • he who rise against poor ppl shal perish in d end
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 06:29:43 PM »
Yeah being ah deep south man...,Point man tuh be exact.., ah represented both Civic and Starworld, so it go be nice if both teams are accepted into de league yuh noe. Well public was on dey own scene,but as far as I'm concerned dey shoulda never leave de pro league(politrics), so it go be nice tuh welcome back de Eastern Lions.Ah doh noe too much ah bout Spurs, but ah familiar with de name, but once all de teams could handle dey business, in terms of handling dey players(Public excluded of course), I wuh all ah dem tuh get een.
Soca Warriors, Holland And Barcelona,
BIG BIG TEAMS!!!!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 06:30:10 PM »

What yuh mean, jet lag?
:rotfl:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 09:44:57 PM »
a nice 10 league team is going to be good

solid south representation

nice reps along d east west

and tobago due a win by now

world cup coming up an i sure we go get a break out player dat none on d board aint kno bout
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 07:15:45 AM »

Is there relegation and promotion in the leagues in Trini? or are the leagues completely separate?

I agree wit hthe idea of the playoffs.. although I doubt that will happen..

With respect to the relegation and promotion ..I have a suggestion tell me what you guys think..

Teams deserve to be promoted etc.. however not all have the type of money to play in the highest league.. How about a change in sponsorship or they give up the right for sponsorship when the team is relegated?? Let the companies like BP etc commit to a slot eg; W-Connection slot 2, CL finincial #1 and so on so the teams that are regelated not only lose playing in the highest level but their sponsorship..

I know it may have some kinks but it may can work... eh?

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »

I agree wit hthe idea of the playoffs.. although I doubt that will happen..

With respect to the relegation and promotion ..I have a suggestion tell me what you guys think..

Teams deserve to be promoted etc.. however not all have the type of money to play in the highest league.. How about a change in sponsorship or they give up the right for sponsorship when the team is relegated?? Let the companies like BP etc commit to a slot eg; W-Connection slot 2, CL finincial #1 and so on so the teams that are regelated not only lose playing in the highest level but their sponsorship..

I know it may have some kinks but it may can work... eh?

It sound like a good idea.  One of the kinks go be for example, when a rum shop and a grocery from Point WANT to sponsor CIVIC, but they getting a spot from a big corporate sponsor, that may or may not clash with the brand of the 'local' (home town) sponsor.

A next thing ah mentioned in a previous thread, was to have some equity in the league, they might consider a draft system for players...like NBA and MLS.  Winning team get last pick.  Last place team get first pick in the draft.  That might open the floor so we wouldn't see Jabloteh and Connection dominating the league year after year.  Allyuh remember how it was in the 80's and early 90's when the Army used to dominate ?

Them teams under consideration would bring out the big crowds because they community based...
StarWorld - Sando
PFCC - Point
Spurs - Mayaro
Public - Eastern corridor
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 02:41:06 PM »
 I really hope Civic could come in and show the talent it have in point.....The Army slack....If half the footballers that in the army actually play PFL they would have a good squad

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006, 09:55:25 AM »

What yuh mean, jet lag?
could also be time difference :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 09:59:36 AM »
dis is very good, dis could mean hardest back in the pro league once more 2 prove his worth  ;D :beermug:

1]; } ?>