April 24, 2024, 10:50:36 PM

Author Topic: Son of 'Buggy' lifts Super Bowl Trophy  (Read 3028 times)

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Son of 'Buggy' lifts Super Bowl Trophy
« on: February 02, 2006, 10:19:14 PM »
T&T's Haynes lifts Super Bowl trophy
Mark Pouchet (Trinidad Express)

Tuesday, February 7th 2006

THE Haynes family was a proud and happy one last Sunday.

When time expired on Super Bowl XL, between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Seattle Seahawks at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan, USA, one member of their family was hoisting the Vince Lombardi Trophy, symbol of supremacy in the National Football League (NFL).

In an event that was watched by an estimated 90.7 million viewers nationwide (the largest Super Bowl audience since the Steelers lost to the Dallas Cowboys in 1996, which was 94.1 million according to Neilsen ratings), Verron Haynes, son of former Trinidad and Tobago footballer Ulric "Buggy" Haynes and brother of Ralston Haynes, earned a huge shiny ring after the Steelers' 21-10 defeat of the Seahawks to clinch their first Super Bowl title in 26 years and their fifth overall.

Haynes, a five-foot nine-inch 229-pound running back with four years' experience in the NFL, enjoyed more playing time in Sunday's game than in the conference final against AFC top-ranked team, the Denver Broncos, on January 22.

Massive celebrations were sparked in Pittsburgh, aka The Iron City, where the Steelers team will be greeted with a massive street parade today.

But here in T&T, "Buggy" and Ralston also had their own little celebrations to mark the momentous occasion for Verron.

"I was really proud of him and for the team," exclaimed Buggy yesterday. "I really enjoyed the game, which was a heart-breaking one for the losing team...but that's how it goes.

"When I last spoke to him, he told me they wanted to win this game for (Jerome) Bettis (the Steelers' veteran running back who retired after the game) and I was glad to see that they could achieve this win for him."

Up to press time, brother Ralston hadn't actually seen the Super Bowl as he was at work during the broadcast. But he had secured a copy of the game from a cousin to look at a delayed recording of history in the making.

And while Buggy had not spoken to Verron post-Super Bowl victory, Ralston received a call from him in the wee hours of the morning yesterday.

"He called me at 2 a.m.," he told the Express. "He was still celebrating and going with the flow. You know, he sounded very elated and happy because the team really wanted it for Bettis."

Ralston said that Verron pledged he was not going to sleep and would celebrate right through to the Pittsburgh city parade today.

"He was still in the after-glow of that victory."

Ralston said he would talk with Verron again to find out if he would be coming home for Carnival, a desire he has had for a while. But that may prove unlikely as Haynes is scheduled to proceed to this weekend's Pro Bowl in Hawaii soon after the Pittsburgh festivities.

Ralston advised that Verron's next goal will be to get back into the Steelers team as his contract expired after the Super Bowl.

"And that seems like it will go well, especially after their winning the Super Bowl," Ralston concluded.

Son of 'Buggy' set for Super Bowl
Mark Pouchet

mpouchet@trinidadexpress.com

Friday, February 3rd 2006

Pittsburgh Steelers running backs coach Dick Hoak, in his 34th season as a Steelers assistant coach, talks with running back Verron Haynes, left, before a team workout at the Pontiac Silverdome last Wednesdy in Pontiac, Michigan The Steelers are preparing to face the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL Sunday in Detroit. 

The son of former national footballer Ulric "Buggy" Haynes is likely to come off the bench to play in the Super Bowl, Sunday in Detroit.

Verron Haynes is a running back with the Pittsburgh Steelers who have thrown the form book to the wind to qualify for the finals where they will play for the coveted prize against the Seattle Seahawks.

Haynes (V) is a 5 foot nine inch, 222 lb running back who was drafted by the Steelers back in 2002.

The 26-year-old American footballer came off the bench in the Steelers' 34-17 victory over the Denver Broncos two Sundays ago in Denver.

In fact the Steelers' last three wins have all come away from home, including their first round 31-17 win against the Cincinnati Bengals and their quarterfinal 21-18 triumph versus the Indiana Colts.

Verron flew "Buggy" up for the semifinal encounter against the Broncos

"I was very proud of him," stated 'Buggy'. "It is always a nice feeling see your son do well and doing something he loves. It was really great to see him run out onto that field in front of an electric sell-out crowd."

Verron was born to "Buggy" and Harriet Pollock and attended Fatima RC School in Curepe before going away to Brooklyn to live with his mother at the age of 10.

He returned to T&T when he was 12 and attended Tunapuna Secondary for a year before he rejoined his mom.

They soon moved to Atlanta where he was registered in North Springs High School.

The story goes that the school's football coach saw him run a 100-yard dash in his junior year and encouraged him to attend the trials for the school's American football team.

"He was always athletic and I guess it helped him out in this sport," 'Buggy' reasoned. "He is the kind of child you always expect to do good, I hope that carries on throughout his career."

Verron, who also played a bit of football and was a standout in basketball, went on to win a host of accolades during his high school career before enrolling at Western Kentucky University.

He red-shirted a year, and then transferred to the University of Georgia where he gained a degree in business management.

In 2002, he was drafted in round five by the Steelers, where he has been third-down running back. Verron recently moved into second spot, behind first choice Jerome Bettis.

With this being Bettis' last season, Verron could possibly fill the number one spot from next season.

"Buggy" told the Express his son "is keyed up" for the Super Bowl.

"I'm supposed to be going up Friday or Saturday. He is always thinking about Trinidad. Hopefully, he will do good when called upon." With some luck, Verron might return to T&T for Carnival. And when his pro career is over, he hopes to come back and "give back" to Trinidad.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 07:40:04 PM by e-man »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Son of 'Buggy' set for Super Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 12:48:07 AM »
Yet another reason to support the Steelers on Sunday.

Go on wit yuh bad self Verron.  Anybody know if he is the first Trinbagonian to play in a Super Bowl?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>