March 28, 2024, 05:52:29 PM

Author Topic: Justin Hoyte Thread  (Read 21405 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Justin Hoyte Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2018, 07:31:29 PM »
:applause:

Merited.

I would like to see Justin coach in the US or Canada after he hangs up his boots.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2018, 08:15:34 PM »

Merited.

I would like to see Justin coach in the US or Canada after he hangs up his boots.

Why?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2018, 08:46:10 PM »
Deeks, the signing of these players is sort of an "arms race". Acquire them discreetly,  get them to the battlefield asap, possibly before others could acquire their services and announce your intention to dominate or expand one's possibilities with them.

Enthusiasm can lead to errors. Sorry for Ahmed that it happened, but as has been pointed out, the BFA's "visa issue" is vetting/navigating player eligibility.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2018, 08:53:47 PM »

Merited.

Why?

Because he has a better chance of acquiring a meaningful position as a change agent in the US or Canada than he would in England. And, I think he is a thoughtful player with something to offer. Having been in the US and understanding the conditions, I think his background in the English game combined with that appreciation of North America could make him a marketable commodity.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:14:31 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2018, 11:37:00 PM »
Congrats to Hoyte, MLS contracts are hard to come by. Think he's too old to represent us in the GC? I mean he's an experienced defender playing consistently at a higher level than most of our players.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2018, 11:47:19 PM »

Merited.

Why?

Because he has a better chance of acquiring a meaningful position as a change agent in the US or Canada than he would in England. And, I think he is a thoughtful player with something to offer. Having been in the US and understanding the conditions, I think his background in the English game combined with that appreciation of North America could make him a marketable commodity.

Yes I tend to think along the same linse about his upbringing and experience in England where I would argue he would have a more natural instinct for the game. Bringing that to the US as a coac, havng played here and having made connections (not to mention the respect the English have in Football) should give him an advantage.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Arsenal to FC Cincinnati: Justin Hoyte's adventure continues
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2019, 07:47:57 PM »
Arsenal to FC Cincinnati: Justin Hoyte's adventure continues
By Adam Bate (skysports.com)

Justin Hoyte is enjoying his adventure with MLS newcomers FC Cincinnati. Adam Bate caught up with the former Arsenal defender to look back on memories of the Invincibles and ahead to an exciting new challenge.

It was a tough introduction to Major League Soccer for expansion team FC Cincinnati as they were beaten 4-1 away to Seattle Sounders on the opening weekend of the season. It doesn't get any easier either as they travel to Atlanta United to take on the champions on Sunday, but for one veteran defender this is the return to the big time that he craved.

Justin Hoyte made 68 appearances for Arsenal early in his career, even featuring in their famed 'Invincible' season. He last played in the Premier League for Gareth Southgate's Middlesbrough in 2009 and went on to represent Dagenham and Redbridge in League Two before embarking upon this American adventure. The decision has been vindicated.

"I made an amazing choice to come out here and I am really enjoying it," Hoyte tells Sky Sports. "Getting back in a top league is a major achievement and it's something I wanted to do. I am lucky enough to be part of something big here. Playing in front of 25,000 to 30,000 is like being back in the Premier League really. For me, it's perfect. It was a great decision."

Hoyte is into his third year with FC Cincinnati but it's very different this time around with the team joining MLS. "There is more interest from all around the world," he explains. "We could sense that last year and it is only growing now with the facilities and everything else. MLS just means more support and more people coming together to get behind us.

"There is a major buzz, not just inside the club but in the whole city. This is what Cincinnati has been waiting for since the club was formed and the franchise was built."

The 34-year-old Londoner, who is also a Trinidad and Tobago international, has thrown himself into life in Ohio. "You just have to be open to it," he says. "I have really got into NFL - I go to watch the Bengals whenever I can - and I watch the NBA too. I watch the Premier League in the morning and then on the nights it's NFL and NBA. It works out perfectly."

So do the days of playing alongside Thierry Henry and the rest feel like a long time ago now? "It was a long time ago but I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was an Arsenal fan and I still am. I'm a boyhood fan who achieved my dream of playing for the first team so I will always look back on it fondly. Even now people ask me about Arsenal and what it was like."

Hoyte's one appearances for the Invincibles came as a late substitute for Robert Pires in a 3-0 win away to Birmingham but there were plenty of highlights. He won the Community Shield, played in a win over Tottenham, made 10 appearances in the Champions League, and even scored a Premier League goal for the club against Charlton in January 2007.

Henry led the celebrations after that one, but there are lots of names that Hoyte can drop to his younger team-mates if he were so inclined. "Some of the younger ones don't know them all because they weren't the big, big names like Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi," he says. "But lots of them ask me what it was like at Arsenal and in the Premier League."

He adds: "It's kind of strange because I was the youngster in the team back then and now I'm the experienced player. I think I'm the third oldest on the team. You have to try to become that role model who can help the young players and pass something on."

They will need that experience this season. On the pitch, it's Hoyte's versatility that is important, playing in the full-back positions or as part of a back three. "That's my role now, really, to be used in different positions," he explains. "I just want to help the team any way I can." Off the pitch, the challenge will be to ensure that everyone enjoys the ride.

"I think we just need to focus on getting the mentality right in the group and enjoying the experience the best that we can," he says. "In America, the main goal is to get to the play-offs and, being a new team, that's what you want to do. People aren't saying we are going to get to the play-offs but I do think we are capable of shocking a few teams."

As for Hoyte, he just wants this journey to continue. "The ambition is to enjoy it, take it all in and play as many games as possible," he adds. "My ultimate goal is to stay here for as long as I can. As long as they want me in Cincinnati, I will look to stay. As long as my body tells me I can carry on I will carry on because I still love this game."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Hoyte is living his American dream
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »
Justin Hoyte is living his American dream
By Charlie Hatch (fccincinnati.com)

Justin Hoyte has a tendency to make debuts in difficult circumstances.

On April 9, 2017, Hoyte started for FC Cincinnati at the Bethlehem Steel in his first USL appearance. It was a promising display that saw the left back buccaneering forward into opposing territory and creating attacking opportunities.

That lasted 12 minutes.

Hoyte injured his hamstring, was substituted and the visitors’ backline essentially collapsed 10 minutes later when center back Austin Berry was shown a red card. FCC lost, 2-0.

On April 13, 2019, Hoyte started for FC Cincinnati at LAFC. It was another promising display – this time at right back. The 34-year-old fullback joined attacking possessions and defended well. Despite another 2-0 loss, the performances from Hoyte and the team as a whole were positive and something to build on.

“It was great,” he said after his MLS debut. “Having been here for three seasons now, it’s a great feeling, obviously. When I first came on trial, the long-term ambition of the club was to get into MLS and that was also my ambition to get to MLS, and try to get to MLS with Cincinnati.

“That’s what I’ve done. It was a great achievement and one I’ve really enjoyed.”

Hoyte made his second appearance this season Saturday night at Red Bull Arena, where the Orange and Blue lost 1-0 to the New York Red Bulls. But once again, Hoyte produced a solid performance. And with the club in the midst of a three-game, eight-day tour that crosses the country, there’s a chance the English defender can see more minutes moving forward.

It’s an amazing achievement, especially for someone whose career started in 2002. But it’s even more impressive considering Hoyte’s career and time with Cincinnati began with a phone call.

Looking for another chance

Earlier in his career, Hoyte played for Arsenal’s “Invincibles” – the only club in English Premier League history to finish a season unbeaten. Eventually, he became a regular starter in the world’s best soccer league.

But that was in the past.

After playing with Dagenham and Redbridge, an English club that was relegated to the fifth-tier National League after the 2015-16 season, Hoyte was contemplating his options.

“It was a decision of what do I do,” Hoyte said. “I was stuck between being finished playing or do I continue?”

He kept playing.

Hoyte submitted his resume to multiple clubs, including teams in Major League Soccer. Nothing materialized, which eventually led him to Ireland. There, he trialed with Bray Wanderers, but it fell through.

Then he received a call from Alan Koch at FC Cincinnati.

“If I’m honest, I didn’t know too much (about FCC),” Hoyte said. “I just knew it was a new franchise that was building something special. I looked at the stadium and what they were doing around the club.

“When I first came here, I spoke to a few people, looked at the stadium and looked at the training facility where we trained, spoke to the manager and spoke to the staff. It was great what they were saying.

“The future project of what the club was doing really interested me and it was why I wanted to be a part of it. They gave me an opportunity to come on trial and I just took it, grabbed it and I’m going to keep on going until the journey finishes.”

A week after the call with Koch, Hoyte went on trial. He signed a contract on March 29, 2017.

Climbing the soccer ladder in the States

FC Cincinnati’s rise as a third-tier soccer club into an MLS franchise in four seasons is a remarkable phenomenon, and the layers feel limitless.

But what’s often overlooked most during the club’s rise is the rise of the players themselves.

When Hoyte was offered a trialist opportunity, he was looking for a career revival in the same way FCC originals Corben Bone and Jimmy McLaughlin were.

Most of the players Cincinnati recruited in the team’s first two seasons were former MLS players who had some experience in USL. Offering Hoyte – a former Premier League defender – an opportunity in 2017 a was massive move for the club. Once he signed, Koch called his new player a “major addition.”

But it was an equally large opportunity for Hoyte, too.

Back at a club, he needed match fitness again. He also needed to acclimate to a new country and moving an ocean away from his family.

It didn’t help that the hamstring injury he picked up in his team debut kept him sidelined until May 31 (when FCC beat Louisville City FC in the 2017 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup).

“Having that time out of being in football for so many years and trying to battle mentally, you find out a lot about yourself, Hoyte said. “You find out a lot of the people who stick with you in the tough times and who stick with you through the strong times.”

During his two seasons with Cincinnati in the USL, Hoyte made 47 appearances, which included 44 starts, two goals and four assists.

When the club had its 23-game unbeaten streak in league play last season, the Englishman was a mainstay at right back and deserved a chance to join FC Cincinnati in MLS.

“It’s an awesome story,” Koch said of the defender. “I think those are amazing football stories when you have a guy that’s had a fantastic career and was obviously getting a little bit older and had gone down the leagues in England, but wanted to explore other opportunities and reached out to a lot of different groups and no one was really that willing to take a gamble on him.

“To be fair to Justin, he had to take a gamble on himself. He came out on trial, impressed us on that trial and he’s grown and he’s just continued to improve. It’s a beautiful story.”

After Hoyte made his MLS debut against LAFC, Koch offered more praise for his fullback. In the same game that Frankie Amaya made his second MLS appearance as a teenager, Hoyte was making his league debut as a 34-year-old who’s climbed from the lower tiers of English football to first-tier American soccer.

It was his 350th professional appearance.

“We’re worried about the development of young players, but he’s an older guy who’s got his game back and continues to grow,” Koch said.

Although Hoyte has only played twice through nine matches, he’s been an integral part of FC Cincinnati’s plans this season.

He’s a leader on and off the field – an example of how a professional can handle himself, face adversity and create opportunities to grow.

“He’s a role model for our entire group, not just for your young players, but for all the players and how you deal with adversity in this game,” Koch said. “For him to be playing at this high of level at this point in his career is a testament to who is he as a person and who he is as a player.”

Moving forward, Hoyte said the most important objective this season is proving his quality and getting minutes on the field. Because he’s played both outside back positions and worked as a center back during preseason matches, Hoyte is a utility man who consistently delivers solid performances.

He’s now the third-longest serving player at FC Cincinnati and the only one still on the roster who joined in 2017. Not bad for someone who contemplated retirement three seasons ago.

“It’s just gone uphill, really,” Hoyte said. “I knew once I got an opportunity to come to America, I was going to take it. I did. That’s all I ever wanted.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Was Sunday the end for Hoyte at FC Cincinnati?
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2019, 07:44:28 PM »
Was Sunday the end for Hoyte at FC Cincinnati?
By Rob Peirce (cincinnatisoccertalk.com)

FC Cincinnati right back Justin Hoyte posted what appears to be a goodbye message on his social media account before Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Orlando City SC in the club’s home finale.

Was it a final goodbye?

“We’ll see, we’ll see,” Hoyte said while taking a break from signing autographs after the game at Nippert Stadium.  “We’ll see how things work.”

Hoyte was named to the 18-man matchday roster as a possible substitute on Sunday but was not called into the game by coach Ron Jans. He has not played since starting against Vancouver on Aug. 3. If indeed it was Hoyte’s last time dressed in orange and blue, it ends a three-year run with the club.

He said the message was “just because of the memories we’ve had knowing that it would be my last game at the stadium. It was just to say thank you for the memories we’ve had and just the support they’ve shown me but shown everyone at the club who have been through the good times and bad times.”

Hoyte’s career started in his native London. He made one appearance with the 2003-2004 Arsenal side that went through the Premier League undefeated. With stops at Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Millwall in England’s upper flights, he made 25 appearances with League Two side Dagenham & Redbridge in 2015-2016 before coming across the pond as a trialist with FC Cincinnati to start the 2017 USL season.

“Coming here on trial was never easy because what I’ve done in the past, you’re thinking you come in on trial, you don’t know what you’re in for,” Hoyte said. “I’m just happy it all worked out. I thanked the club and the general manager and the staff for giving me the opportunity first and foremost. A lot of teams said no, and Cincinnati was the one that choose me and gave me the opportunity.

“It’s been a good time. From coming on trial now to playing in the MLS is where I wanted to be and where I wanted to play. I’ve loved every minute of it, whether we’ve won or lost.”

Hoyte made his first start in the third match of the 2017 season at Bethlehem Steel but left with an injury in the 14th minute. As he recalled Sunday, he found himself wondering what was next.

“I didn’t know what I was in for,” Hoyte said. “I thought it was going to be a hard time for me, but the medical staff did wonders and I wasn’t out for too long. And I think after that time I played nearly every game really from there on. It was just up to me to keep fit and keep healthy.”

Hoyte scored two goals in the 2017 season — an equalizer in the 45th minute on June 10 against the Charlotte Independence and the game-winner in the 86th minute in a 4-3 victory at Toronto FC II on Oct. 14. He also played a critical role in the club’s U.S. Open Cup run that year.

Hoyte was a mainstay on the back line in 2018 with 28 appearances, helping FC Cincinnati to a then-unprecedented USL run and regular-season championship. Though he didn’t log any goals last year, he was always known on social media to be open on the right.

He did convert a penalty kick against Nashville SC to help FC Cincinnati advance in last year’s USL quarterfinal round — one of his top memories.

“Every moment is a great one, from the first time I made my debut to winning against Nashville, taking that penalty,” Hoyte said. “That was a great moment. I was dying to score, dying to perform well. I wanted to give back a goal to the fans. Putting away that PK in the playoffs, I think that will probably be the memory that will stick with me with the celebrations after (advancing in the shootout). And obviously winning the trophy with the USL team — winning the title, which was something fantastic.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thank You, Justin
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2019, 05:06:47 AM »
Thank You, Justin
By Charlie Hatch (fccincinnati.com)

To Justin,

A lot’s been written about how you got to FC Cincinnati, but how you got to the Queen City is rarely mentioned.

By the time you arrived as a trialist, you arrived with a more impressive playing pedigree than any player to wear the Orange and Blue shirt. You were once one of Arsenal’s young, promising players, and an English Premier League regular. That is truly a remarkable achievement.

And yet you never mention it.

Many players have represented FCC, but none have been classier. From the moment you signed until now, when your time playing for club has finished, you’ve been respectful, hard-working and appreciative.

We’re appreciative we got to see you play.

Through three seasons, you went from a hamstring injury in your first start at Bethlehem Steel into becoming an MLS regular who played across the FCC backline. While you didn’t play every match, you provided consistency and enjoyment with every appearance.

No outside back has ever been as beloved. When you sprinted up the sideline, you brought fans to their feet. And when the ball was on the other side of the field, supporters made sure to tell your teammates you’re still open.

You came to FC Cincinnati because they were the only American club offering you an opportunity. But once you got here, you became a first-choice player on the field and a better representative of the team off it.

People often talk about the growth of young Frankie Amaya, FCC’s youngest player. But what people don’t know – or don’t talk about – is you’re his biggest fan and going through a career renaissance yourself. Please take pride in that.

In three seasons, we hope Cincinnati has become home. We hope you’ve been as proud to wear the team shirt as we’ve been fortunate to watch you play in it. Don’t consider this a goodbye. It’s only a thank you and hopefully, until next time. Everyone in Orange and Blue can’t wait to see you again soon.

Thank you for taking the chance to move across the world to play for us, because you believed in yourself and you believed in this club.

In your final interview at Nippert Stadium, you mentioned how proud you were to earn the 2018 USL Supporters’ Shield, but then quickly said it’ll be forgotten when more trophies are won. You’re wrong.

There may be future trophies and future players winning them, but there will only be one Justin Hoyte, and we’re grateful he spent so much time playing for us and making us proud.

Thank you, Justin.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Hoyte's road to Miami
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2020, 07:54:53 AM »
From Arsenal history maker to competing with Beckham - Justin Hoyte's road to Miami
By Charles Watts (gosl.com)

Former Gunners defender Justin Hoyte talks to Goal about joining Miami Beach Club de Futbol and having David Beckham's new franchise on his doorstep.

It’s been close to 17 years since Justin Hoyte came off the bench during Arsenal’s 6-1 win against Southampton at Highbury to make his senior debut for the club he grew up supporting.

To this day, Hoyte still looks back on that night as the most special of his long career. It was a night when all his hard work came to fruition, but also the night his parents’ sacrifices were rewarded.

His father, watching from the stands, lost his watch during the excitement of seeing his son jog out onto the pitch to join the likes of Thierry Henry, Robert Pires and Patrick Vieira as they closed out a game which would be the first of Arsenal’s historic 49-match unbeaten run.

“That was so special for me,” Hoyte told Goal .

“My mum lived on the same road as Highbury when I grew up, my dad used to travel everywhere with me getting me to games as a kid. So getting on that field, to make it to the first team, it was something special.

“I did have to buy dad a new watch though.”

Hoyte was just 19 when he replaced Jermaine Pennant for the final few minutes of that game against Southampton. Now aged 35, he is approaching the twilight days of a career which has seen him play for the likes of Middlesbrough, Millwall and FC Cincinnati along the way.

But he’s not ready to hang up his boots yet, with the former Gunners defender having just made the move to Miami Beach Club de Futbol in South Florida.

It’s a club that is just getting started and - for Hoyte - it’s an opportunity to share experiences and continue to develop ahead of the next stage of his career.

“It’s another opportunity for me, a challenging one,” he said. “It’s a new team that is starting up in the lower leagues, so it’s something to grow and develop.

“I’m doing work not just on the field, but off the field as well, which is something I want to do when I retire. I can play here and also work on the business side, help build a club and develop the brand, that’s what drew me to this team.”

Hoyte added: “When you’ve been playing for so long, you don’t really get to see the business side of the game. But when you get to actually be involved in the building of a club from scratch, it’s crazy.

“I don’t know exactly what I’m going to do yet when I retire. Sometimes I want to be a coach, sometimes I want to be a manager, a scout, a technical director. I just don’t yet, so at the moment I’m trying to do everything to see what I like the most.

“I’m going to play for as long as I can, but whenever I finish training I’ll be helping out doing different bits to help the club grow and to get the name out there.

“It’s different, it brings you out of your comfort zone of just being a player. It keeps you going, keeps your mind active all the time.”

Miami Beach Club de Futbol has just become a new member of the United Premier Soccer League (UPSL) which is the equivalent to non-league in England. But, with Italian investment behind it, the club has ambitions of joining the United Soccer League, a professional structure which sits just below Major League Soccer in the U.S.

It is an interesting time in Miami when it comes to football, with David Beckham’s new Inter Miami franchise ready to begin its first ever season in MLS, once the coronavirus-enforced suspension is out of the way.

Having such illustrious neighbours on their doorstep could be seen as a negative for those trying to get a relatively new and small club off the ground, but Hoyte is looking at things from a different perspective.

“I’ve not seen David yet, but hopefully I will meet up with him one day because he knows how they built the club so it will be interesting to see how they’ve done it,” said Hoyte.

“I think having Inter Miami in MLS is a great thing, not just for him - but for all the other teams in Miami and the kids who want to go on and become a player themselves.

“A few years ago, no-one would really think about football in Miami but now you see footballs everywhere.

“It will help us because those kids will want to get into Beckham’s team, but not everyone can get into that team, so where else can they go? We have to make sure they know there are other teams out there.”

The new UPSL season was due to get underway this month, but the start date has now pushed back until April at the earliest - with all fixtures suspended amid the coronavirus crisis.

When it does get underway, it will be Hoyte’s third campaign in the States, having left England in 2017 to join FC Cincinnati.

And it will be a far cry from his days at Arsenal, where he made 55 appearances in all competitions having progressed through the youth ranks before being given his opportunity by Arsene Wenger in the first team.

Having made his debut at the end of the 2002-03 season, Hoyte - who was a striker when he was first spotted by Arsenal as a nine-year-old while playing for Sunday League team Redbridge United - was a constant presence around the senior squad during the 2003-04 'Invincibles' campaign.

He only made one league appearance in that title-winning campaign, but still felt like he played his part in the historic success.

“Even training with that group every week was a great experience,” he said. “Being an Arsenal supporter you dream of those things and then when it actually happens, you think ‘wow, I’m really here now’.

“It was all about learning for me, just seeing how they did things on a day-to-day basis, how they trained and applied themselves.

“Even though I only played one game in that season, I was still part of the training group every week. It was amazing.”

Hoyte added: “[Dennis] Bergkamp was unbelievable, just a great player who saw everything before anyone else.

“[Patrick] Vieira was the leader who led by example. He looked after everybody, whether it be the first-team players, the youth-team players or all the staff members. He looked after them and made sure they were well.

“For me, that was the sort of leader it took to make that sort of run. You needed someone like that for everyone else to look up to.”

Hoyte’s most successful season at Arsenal came in 2006-07, the first following the move from Highbury to Emirates Stadium.

The defender made 36 appearances in all competitions and scored his only goal for the club.

It came on January 2, 2007, during a 4-0 win against Charlton when he raced onto a Thierry Henry pass before rolling a calm finish past Scott Carson from a tight angle.

For Hoyte, it was a special moment and it’s one that ensured his name will forever be etched into the Arsenal history books as he became the first English player to score for the Gunners at their new home.

“It’s an unbelievable thing to have,” he said. “As an Arsenal fan, you have hopes of making the first team, hopes of scoring for the club. But having that record also is something that can never be taken away from me.

“It’s something that has gone into history, it will be there forever so, for me, it’s something I can say to my kids and my family, 'look what I achieved'.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2020, 08:13:59 AM »
Ex-Arsenal defender Justin Hoyte on the future of the MLS, its soccer pyramid and being a resident in Beckham-land
By Jordan Davies (The Sun)

OVER THE POND, in the land of the American dream and celebrity soccer, livelihoods and careers are about to be crushed.

The MLS, renowned across the globe for attracting the biggest names since its inception in 1994, has not been immune from the devastating fight against coronavirus.

On March 12, the league was suspended immediately for a minimum of 30 days, before extending that to mid-May just a week later.

And as that deadline inches closer, Justin Hoyte – now a Miami resident – has eagerly observed the reaction time of both the league and the country.

The former Arsenal defender has built another life in the US, spending two years at FC Cincinnati before taking a step down to the UPSL this year with Miami Beach CF as a player-coach.

He feels the MLS will survive the economic effects of the pandemic – and, in fact, come out stronger as the call for soccer in a country once dominated by other sports grows daily.

But in getting his first taste of life in the boardroom of a club in the American Conference, where life-changing decisions are made, he fears for the rest of the soccer pyramid.

Hoyte, 35, said: “It’s scary as no one knows what’s happening next.

“Will certain players be able to stay? What about our players out on loan for instance – what happens with their loan agreement? If clubs don’t want to buy them what happens?

“We will be expecting funds for those players and have planned around that but that could now be cancelled.

“It is a horrible and unthinkable time for players who are on short term contracts. If the season is called off come June are you still going to be paid or even be at the club?

“This situation has never happened to anyone in sport so no one knows how to handle the situation. It is a guessing game.

“At the end of the day a lot of clubs in these divisions may not be able to survive. It is not something that will be fixed overnight and to make the money back will be impossible.”

'SPORT IS LIFE OVER HERE'
Unlike the Premier League and English football, US-based players in the top flight are contracted to the MLS governing body, rather than individual clubs.

Designed to cut costs for individual franchises, who are then able to attract separate multi-million investors who become MLS shareholders, the sport is no stranger to profitability.

Hoyte said: “Sport is life here for most people. It is on 24/7.

“You wake up early in the morning to watch the Premier League, and then you spend the rest of the day watching baseball, basketball and NFL.

“Sure, people will be nervous being in a packed stadium again but once it is up and running the sport will carry on growing. The hope is it will once again trickle down to the lower leagues.”

At present there is no clause being discussed by Major League Soccer to allow player salaries to be reduced in case of an event like a pandemic.

But Hoyte – who has close ties with players still in the MLS – reveals that there are serious question marks over the country's premier division and whether they will continue to pay out.

He explained: “I don’t think the league is too sure what to do, and clubs and players are in limbo land.

“They don’t know what is next, they may get paid this month but what about next month?

“The authorities need to decide soon whether players are taking cuts or not, or getting cut themselves, but that could take weeks.

“As far as I know no one has taken a pay cut as of now. The league has stopped and they got paid last month, but whether that continues is up in the air.

“They have to keep fit and active right now and if the league starts up again in the next month or so then they will be expected to be ready.”

It could not come at a worse time; the MLS announced in February that a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) had been negotiated, which would include raising the investment for transfers and wages.

And it could also not come at a worse time for David Beckham, whose new side Inter Miami CF have seen their debut season – now scheduled to finish in December – interrupted.

That has not Beckham-mania taking over Miami, however.

Hoyte laughs: “Miami is more than just the luxury lifestyle and fast cars and beaches, but you can see why movie stars and sports legends love it here.

“Beckham is the talk of the place right now. He is on every billboard and sign.

“I have seen so many people wearing the jerseys and hats and people will ask: ‘Oh isn’t that Beckham’s team?’.

“He has had such an impact in a short space of time and once he gets his stadium done then it will be a huge thing for soccer not just in Miami but the whole country.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Hoyte joins Cincinnati Soccer Talk as co-host, analyst
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2021, 06:00:56 PM »
Justin Hoyte joins Cincinnati Soccer Talk as co-host, analyst
By Cincinnati Soccer Talk

It’s still uncertain when the 2021 MLS season will begin or when FC Cincinnati’s new West End stadium will open. But one certain thing is when those things happen, Cincinnati Soccer Talk will be ready.

CST announces today the addition of former FC Cincinnati right back Justin Hoyte as a co-host and analyst. Hoyte reunites with 2018 teammate Michael Lahoud and becomes the third former club employee to join CST.

Hoyte earned his way onto FC Cincinnati’s roster as a trialist in 2017, playing three seasons for the Orange and Blue. He was integral to the club’s run to the U.S. Open Cup semifinal that year and had 28 appearances in 2018, helping the team lift the Supporters Shield trophy.

Before coming to Cincinnati, Hoyte’s began his career in his native London, making an appearance for the 2003-2004 Arsenal side that went through the Premier League unbeaten. He also made stops at Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Millwall and Dagenham & Redbridge.

“During my time with FC Cincinnati I’ve always had a special connection with the fans and I’ve always admired what the guys at Cincy Soccer Talk were doing to connect the fans with all things going on with FC Cincinnati and the rest of the soccer world,” Hoyte said. “So I feel like joining the team will be a great opportunity to share my knowledge, experience and passion for not only the game of soccer but the chance to reconnect with the amazing fans of FC Cincinnati again.

“I’m extremely excited to join the Cincy Soccer Talk team as it’s something I am passionate about, and when it comes to soccer it’s something I can talk about all day long every day of the week. I look forward to joining the great team that Cincy Soccer Talk already has as well as joining former teammate and good friend Mike Lahoud as a fellow analyst.”

CST founder Nick Seuberling points to the addition of Hoyte as another step in CST’s progression.

“One of my goals over the past couple of years was to bring on people who had experience playing or coaching soccer at a very high level,” Seuberling said. “We’ve done that with Coach Brad Gough, D.J. Switzer and Michael Lahoud. Now we’re adding Justin Hoyte, someone who has experience not just playing in MLS and USL, but the Premier League in England. It doesn’t get much higher than that. Can’t wait for him to get started with us.” Seuberling said.

Hoyte is currently back home in England with his family but will be returning soon to the States to resume his season for the Palm Beach Stars of the UPSL who are currently competing in the UPSL Division 1 playoff. Once his season wraps up you can expect to see Hoyte hop into the podcast rotation, featuring in a number of our programs.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2021, 04:36:00 PM »
Ex Arsenal defender Justin Hoyte on Viera, Ashley Cole and The Invincibles
By Dan George (gunnerstown.com)

Two first half hattricks from Jermaine Pennant and Robert Pires, leading Southampton 6-1 and the clock strikes to the 89th minute of Southampton’s miserable visit to Highbury in May of 2003. The Arsenal faithful arise to applaud the efforts of hattrick hero Pennant as he leaves the field of play to be replaced by a young right back named Justin Hoyte.

Following 368 club appearances resulting in a Premier League and FA Cup, the Trinidad and Tobago international sat down to reflect upon an exciting career, specifically the part at Arsene Wenger’s invincible Arsenal. A boyhood Arsenal fan himself, Hoyte describes making his Arsenal debut as an “amazing experience”

“To get an appearance in that game was something you always dreamed of. That was one goal I always wanted to achieve and achieved, playing for my boyhood team. That’s just amazing, I mean I can’t think of anything better than that. Even though my dad’s a Man United fan it’s still crazy I was able to achieve my goal to play for Arsenal”.

Hoyte speaks many times throughout about his love for Arsenal and he says that dates right back to his early childhood.

“I remember me and my best mate Jerome we got on the train and went down to Highbury and we were following the team bus with our flags, scarves and Arsenal shirts. My mum used to live on the same road as Highbury and when Arsenal used to win things, go on the bus and parade around Islington, I used to be one of the fans chasing after the bus.”

Over the years, Arsenal have seen promoting youth as one of their priorities and their Academy as a key asset to the football club. Just a few to mention include Cesc Fabregas, Jack Wilshere and more recently, Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith-Rowe. More specifically however, surrounding his debut and the build up to it, Hoyte says he doesn’t remember much about the actual tie but more the pre match and anticipation.

“To be honest I don’t remember much of it I just remember being on the bus with some of the players- Ashley Cole, Jermaine Pennant and just going in with them, talking to them about the experience, going up the marble stairs. I remember trying to find my dad in the crowd and he said he lost his watch jumping up when I actually got on but it was great, that experience will stay with me forever.”

Arsenal football club have been the home of some iconic players over the years, the likes of Thierry Henry, Patrick Viera and Dennis Bergkamp starred for the Gunners. Hoyte was an up and coming player during the invincible season as his debut only took place the campaign just prior to the unbeaten glory.

Hoyte was within this environment daily, despite only making one Premier League appearance and two league cup appearances that campaign, the right back was training with the first team.

“It was the hardest time for me as a player to break into that team, you see what these players have achieved, you see what they have done in the game, after that, you see what they’ve done for Arsenal, the way they changed Arsenal. It’s so hard to replace them, even if you get one game in that team, you know if the other player is fit then he’s going to play. So to replace a player like Lauren or to even knock him off his pedestal, it’s the hardest thing possible. So for me it was to learn from them day to day in training, take little bits from them, learn their personality and what they do and learn that winning mentality”.

With all the stars in and around the training ground, Hoyte feels some regret that he didn’t stake more of a claim and push for his place in that team. With world class competition in front of him however, that wasn’t the easiest of tasks.

“It was hard for me to break in and to bring out my own personality, because I’m looking at those players and for me still as a huge Arsenal fan like flipping hell I’m here with Henry, Viera, Ashley Cole, Lauren and I should have been like right I’m in this team, let me stay here, I was still in awe of some of the players. But it was amazing what the players did and it was hard to knock them off.”

As a young player within the side, and such a high pressured setting, Hoyte pays tribute to two players in particular that he took inspiration from. First, the Invincible captain and current Crystal Palace manager Patrick Viera. The Midfielder played 34,410 minutes for the north London club. Over 397 appearances scoring 32 goals and 44 assists throughout his time in the capital. Viera’s trophy record speaks for itself also winning three League titles, five FA cups, a Champions League with Inter Milan alongside the World Cup and European Championship with the French national team. Those are just a few highlights to mention in Viera’s trophy cabinet.

“He would treat you the same no matter if you were in the first team or an up and coming player, a reserve team player training with the first team or in the academy training with the first team. He really took you in and showed you how it was to be an Arsenal player. He looked after everybody, spoke the same, with respect and everyone looked up at him as he was the boss, never arrogant and his personality spoke for itself. He really looked after everybody on that training field. I really looked at that and him as a key role model. He changed the way that I approached my career really”.

Being a fullback as well as Hoyte, the other name he mentions was none other than Ashley Cole. The English Left back also had a very decorated career however a fair measure of his success came after a controversial move to London rivals Chelsea where he went on to win the lucrative Champions League trophy, a Premier League trophy, the Europa League and four FA Cups.

Cole did also taste success with Arsenal, winning Two League titles and three FA cups in N5. The left back’s move to SW however sparked fierce controversy after he came up through the Arsenal academy before moving to one of their biggest rivals. Cole was however a member of the Arsenal invincible squad and left a lasting impression on Hoyte in particular during his time there. When asked who acted as a mentor as such to him at Arsenal, one name leaves his lips without hesitation.

“Ashley Cole for me was the one person I always looked at, as I was going through the academy even as I was playing my first few games, he took me under his wing and I got to learn from him and he kind of had a similar experience to me, going out on loan before coming back to play at Arsenal on a regular basis. I didn’t reach the heights that he did but I still got to play alongside him and actually learn how he operates and how he plays the game and it was great to have him. For me he was my key role model”.

Being a young player with such talent ahead of him however, it would be a monumental challenge for anyone coming in to even get close to pushing for the first team, bearing in mind this Arsenal side were pushing for league titles at the time and fighting for all competitions, only the youngsters with the very best attitude would stand a chance.

“One of the first things I remember was Pat Rice saying to me you just need to go over and not be shy and pretend you’re not an academy kid. You need to go and show these players that you actually deserve to be here, you need to walk, train and run like them and they will take to you. If you go over like flipping hell, im with the top players here and I don’t deserve to be here, then you wont be. Go out there and put your own personal stamp on things and you be who you are then you will definitely deserve it. It’s a bit of arrogance but that is what Arsenal was at the time”.

Of course, the Invincibles cannot be mentioned without referring to the mastermind and professor behind the great achievements, Arséne Charles Ernest Wenger. Wenger was the ultimate manager, winning three League titles, Seven FA Cups and seven English Super cups with Arsenal. The Frenchman stole all the headlines in September of 2002 claiming that “It’s not impossible to go through a whole season unbeaten” before following through and guiding his side to an iconic 49 games unbeaten.

Wenger was incredibly passionate about promoting youth throughout his tenure at Arsenal, having an influence on some of the biggest Premier League stars as they came through. Cesc Fabregas, Robin Van Perise, Abou Diaby and Ashley Cole were just a few to mention from that generation of whom he gave chances to impress and express themselves at Highbury. All of these players have sung the praises of their manager through their careers and Hoyte is no exception.

“Training with Wenger, he didn’t say too much but when he spoke to you he spoke with respect, told you exactly what he wanted and he told you to play like you were playing with your friends in the park. When you play with your friends you play with freedom, excitement, joy and a smile on your face. If you take that into training or a game then you play in the same way. If you go into the game without these characteristics however, you won’t play to your best and perform.

He also bought you into the team for a reason. They’ve picked you for your qualities and if you bring that into every game and training session then you’ll go far.

It was great to have him as a mentor, as a trainer and as a coach. His attention to detail was second to none and you can see why Arsenal achieved such great things. He was a great coach for me and one person that helped me in my career.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2022, 01:57:03 PM »
Families in Football: Justin and Gavin Hoyte
By Dale Ventham (lastwordonsports.com)

Welcome to Last Word on Football’s ‘Families in Football’ series. Over the next few weeks, we take a look at siblings, cousins and even parents and children that have played the beautiful game. Some have played cup finals together while others have been on opposing sides. Today, we focus on brothers Justin and Gavin Hoyte.

Justin Hoyte

Defender Justin Hoyte came through the Arsenal academy after joining as a nine-year-old and worked his way into the first team under Arsene Wenger. The right-back signed a professional deal and made his debut as a late substitute in a 6-1 win over Southampton a year later.

Justin played in the 2004 Community Shield victory over Manchester United and made his first Gunners start in a 4-1 win away to Norwich City.

Hoyte was linked with a move away from north London to Ipswich Town but Wenger wanted to keep the full-back in the Premier League. Instead, he joined Sunderland on loan and scored one goal from 31 appearances, which came against rivals Newcastle United.

Upon his return to Arsenal, Justin netted his first Gunners goal in a 4-0 win over Charlton Athletic. He ended the season with 36 appearances but a League Cup final defeat to Chelsea.

Hoyte moved to Middlesbrough in 2008 but was unable to help the club avoid relegation from the Premier League. Despite that, the defender stayed at the Riverside Stadium for five seasons before returning to London to join Millwall.

This was where his career in England began to peter out, making just a handful of appearances for the Lions and Dagenham & Redbridge before moving to the United Soccer League, where he spent two seasons with FC Cincinnati.

Despite making 58 appearances for England at various youth levels, Justin represented Trinidad and Tobago at senior level. He earned 18 caps and came as runner up in the 2014 Caribbean Cup.

Gavin Hoyte

Similarly to his older brother, defender Gavin Hoyte was also part of the Arsenal academy, although his stay in north London wouldn’t last as long.

He made his first-team competitive debut in a 6-0 League Cup win over Sheffield United. The defender also played against Wigan Athletic and Burnley in the same competition before making his Premier League debut against Manchester City.

That would be his fourth and final appearance for the Gunners before spending time away on loan at Watford, Brighton & Hove Albion, Lincoln City and AFC Wimbledon.

He finally left north London and joined Dagenham & Redbridge in League Two, where he made 77 appearances over two seasons, before moving to Gillingham in League One.

The defender spent one season in Kent before turning out for Barnet, although injury limited his game time. From there, Gavin dropped into non-league and played for Eastleigh, and Dagenham again and Maidstone United, where he still plays.

Like his older brother, Gavin represented England at youth levels, finishing as runner up in the UEFA European U17 Championship and UEFA European U19 Championship before playing three times at senior level for Trinidad and Tobago.

Games Played Together and Against

Justin and Gavin Hoyte have played just two times together, with both matches ending in defeat for Trinidad and Tobago. They have never been on opposing sides.

Interesting Facts

Justin and Gavin Hoyte are the sons of British sprinters Wendy Hoyte and Les Hoyte (who was born in Trinidad and Tobago). Their uncle, Trevor Hoyte, reached the 200m final at the 1978 Commonwealth Games and their cousin, Chris Clarke, is also an elite sprinter.

Justin made one league appearance in Arsenal’s 2003/04 Premier League-winning season, which was not enough to qualify him for a medal.

On his first start for Arsenal, Justin conceded a penalty in the Gunners’ 4-1 win over Norwich. His first Arsenal goal against Charlton was the first scored by an Englishman for the club at the new Emirates Stadium.

1]; } ?>