March 28, 2024, 10:33:56 AM

Author Topic: FIFA in New Jack Fray: Rowley calls for investigation into Under-17 World Cup  (Read 7954 times)

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA in New Jack Fray.
By: Anna Ramdass (Express).
[/size]

Rowley calls on football body to investigate local Under-17 World Cup $348m spending.
Housing Minister Dr Keith Rowley is calling on FIFA to investigate the role of Jack Warner, one of its vice-presidents, in the more than doubling of the cost of four stadia that were built when Trinidad and Tobago hosted the Under-17 World Cup four years ago.
Warner, at Sunday's UNC rally, questioned why Rowley had been pointing fingers at him and, in response, the Housing Minister held a press conference at the Housing Development Corporation (HDC) to link the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation's Special Advisor to what he charged were inflated stadia costs.
Rowley reminded the media that in October 1995 the then PNM Cabinet had agreed to support the hosting of the FIFA Under-17 World Cup by building four stadia at the cost of $165 million.
However, elections were held later that year and the UNC came into power.
According to Rowley, in 1999 the UNC Cabinet revised the $165 million to $348 million with the cost increases being attributed to what Rowley described as interior fittings, bleachers, fixed spectator seatings, playing fields, flood lighting and score boards all of which, according to him, had been anticipated in the initial costing.
He said according to Cabinet notes, FIFA was to be the project manager for this project and funding was to be provided by Fincor.
He added that under the development programme for the fiscal year 1999, $102 million was allocated in the budget for the project.
"Somewhere in the mix out of the blue that procedure was abandoned...the next thing you know the project was being done by another group of financiers, Fincor was nowhere in the programme," said Rowley.
He said at a Parliament sitting the matter was raised and then Sports Minister Manohar Ramsaran was questioned about the award of the contract and the financiers.
Ramsaran had responded that the Government would not be funding the construction of the stadia and that a consortium of Concacaf, Royal Merchant Bank, Guardian Life, and Barbados Mutual Life Assurance Society known as RGM Ltd was doing so.
Rowley made reference to a web which saw FIFA initially being featured prominently in Cabinet notes as the project manager only for a change that saw the contract being then put in the hands of Concacaf.
"It was illegal and improper for the Government to award any contract without tender to FIFA or Concacaf," the Minister charged.
He argued that the contracts had been awarded in a very strange manner to the point where the Trinidad and Tobago Contractors Association sent a letter to then Prime Minister Basdeo Panday expressing their concerns.
The question Rowley put to FIFA was what specific services the organisation and if, in fact, it had ever been involved as a contractor.
He said FIFA also had to tell the country whether it had been made aware of Concacaf's advancing itself in the project as well as how much that organisation was paid and for what services provided.
He also raised concern on Concacaf and asked whether or not it is the Concacaf or some local umbrella company.
These questions were being raised, Rowley said, because FIFA has shown an interest in ethics and was very much featured in the Government's business.
He added that if FIFA was terminated from the deal and the contract ended up with Concacaf, FIFA must also answer how that deal had been terminated.
"The reason why I raise all of this, is that huge sums of money was involved," said Rowley.
"He (Warner) is telling the country without batting an eyelid that he put $17 million to fund the national team...why is he so generous? Where this money come from?" he asked.
Rowley disclosed that the Government was still paying for a loan of $4 million a month on this project even as there remained still unanswered questions.
"I am taking the opportunity to call on FIFA to broaden their investigation in Trinidad and Tobago to answer all these questions where the agency has been featured prominently in Government business and for the benefit of the public to tell us the facts on this matter," he challenged.
Far from being content to leave the matter to FIFA, however, Rowley insisted that the PNM would ensure the questions be answered before the UNC "comes near the corridors of power". However, he was bringing via the media and was willing to supply the international organisation with the pertinent documentation.
Warner, for his part, told the Daily Express that he did not have to answer to Rowley and asked his own question: "Why did he wait four years to make this announcement?"
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 03:15:55 AM by Flex »
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Auburn Trini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
"Why did he wait four years to make this announcement?"
Is political slandering... is easy now since Jack seein real heat in the football community....
So now they givin him heat from all sides.... national politics and sport...
maybe he deserve it....really I ent know... but it sound like ah Trump card to hang de Jack!!

truetrini

hahahaha....I ask dem same questions years now.. And all kinda dotish man say de UNC build dem stadia fuh we>

Lord have mercy...!

I do however question de timing ah de queries...where de fok was Rowley fuh de last 4-6 years?

dtruth does offend

hahahaha....I ask dem same questions years now.. And all kinda dotish man say de UNC build dem stadia fuh we>

Lord have mercy...!

I do however question de timing ah de queries...where de fok was Rowley fuh de last 4-6 years?

jah, me aint know is all that drama taking place dey. i honestly did not know!!
that embarrassing man
or gorsh, and look when it happen
when we heading to germany and everybody know who we is

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Lord have mercy...!

Timing is everything in politics oui. Right now the UNC in turmoil so Rowley trying tuh hit them ah double wammie.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Chaulkdust where are you when we need yuh lyrics? am I wrong?

Is this not sad that during the time of our greatest football triumph, we are  bombarded with hordes of  vile stories , allegations  of corruption? we must destroy those who seek to do good; at what price must  political desires, infiltrate the national good? Could we not keep the focus on our impending virginal experience on  the world stage? Could we not expend our energies on improving our collective lot : through athletic endeavours, social improvments and an overall respect for life and a person's character?

Now considering these allegations are stemming from a political source, the alterior motives maybe questioned as to why raise an investigation at this time? HOWEVER WHEN THE LEADER OF THE SAID OPPOSITION MAKES OUTLANDISH STAEMENTS AS 'HE SLEPT WITH THE DEVIL TO GAIN POLITICAL POWER AND NOW HE WANTS TO SLEEP WITH THE DEVIL'S FATHER' yuh eh see  is time we really consider  the viability of a party whose leader is bent on personal POWER and whose party had as much corruption as any other:' consider the AIRPORT fiasco and now this!!!!!!!

Sometimes it eh hard to pay from yuh own pocket when  what is coming out of yuh pocket was  acquired in ways that makes it easy to give away!!!! So if yuh rob from Peter to pay  Paul, yuh eh find that Jack must now get he own jacket if he getting blows?

The sad part of all tihs is  yuh go see come election time how people does  vote through sympathy or well 'time tuh give somebody else ah chance' leh we see if he go do better nah? or he cyar be any worse than what we have now so what ?
Yes Chaulkdust yuh eh wrong!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 01:21:46 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Ish and Jack and all the Airport people go be in the same cell block. Yuh know dem politician eh go let dem slide. Is pressha cause UNC name have to drag through the mud.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

TrinInfinite

rowley is abig thief heself, dey should investigate his ass also

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation

They did.

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I agree with the timing of rowley in this instance. Now we all know them men aint going to jail -see airport fiasco- they might lose some money or get slap on the wrist. If this issue was brought up 4 years ago it would have not received the attention that it would receive now...so as they say..you give a man enough rope to hand himself- which i think is in the process of happening. On the other hand, my belief is - nuttin gona happen to jack....

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
I agree with the timing of rowley in this instance. Now we all know them men aint going to jail -see airport fiasco- they might lose some money or get slap on the wrist. If this issue was brought up 4 years ago it would have not received the attention that it would receive now...so as they say..you give a man enough rope to hand himself- which i think is in the process of happening. On the other hand, my belief is - nuttin gona happen to jack....
This was in fact in the news 6/7 years ago. The then opposition PNM raised questions, but all to no avail.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Brokeback Infinite is you boy?  Doh study Rowley, they investigate him already and he was clean. 

I think the timing of this is a bit suspect and opportunisitic, but who can blame them when it was raised a few years ago and no action was taken then? 

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation

Doh study Rowley, they investigate him already and he was clean

???

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
if that is the case..how come they ent having an inquiry bout July 27..and what bout all the money they thief in the late 70's-early 80's.
btw ah would like to know how many calypsonians singing bout crime, kidnappings and the general well being of the country?..steups
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
We're acting as if this is new. Its well known the Jack benefitted financially from the U17 WC in 2001.We also already knew that there was overspending. PNM people on the other hand shouldn't get too excited about this since they are now planning to construct a stadium that we don't need or even want for that matter. UNC is ISH and JACK, PNM is Emile Elias. I say deal with all of them. Rowley is one of the better politicians we have in this country but I think he's been caught in matrix on this one.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What is wrong with the timing. The man simply tell FIFA since you investigating the tief abou the ticket fiasco also look into the 2001 stadia. He forgot to include Nov 19th as he always boost that he has his ticket from that faithful day as he could not get in.

We all know that nothing happen to Jack but the man would be a Poor Politician if he did not bring it up now.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ah know plenty of allyuh fellas outside T&T and probably ain't get the full story yet....

Yes, the PNM did raise concerns about the building contracts for the stadia four years ago....Jack brambooz he way outta that one too...

Yes, they did investigate Rowley for contracts with some THA works.  And as man say, he come out clean.

But what make Rowley come forth with this seemingly new investigation, is because Jack try to score political points on the platform in a UNC Rallly last Sunday.  Jack start to call Rowley name in all kinda bacchanal about selling land and thing.  That is why Rowley called the press conference and hence a renewed call for the investigation about the stadia.  Read the first paragraph in the article again.

Is just a smoke screen Warner throwing...trying to rile up the supporters, but he barking up the wrong tree with Rowley.  I ain't holding no brief for the man, but Rowley is a man who does cover he tracks at all times...he does make sure he get ALL de files on an issue before he bring it to the fore.  The man say he have all the documents concerning the contracts for the stadia.

One thing he also mentioned at the press conference (but did not go into details), which I was saying in other posts as well...is what implications will all this scenario have on the TTFF...because Jack is officially an 'advisor' to the TTFF, but he name on all the major documents signing on behalf of the Administration.  When FIFA start to question the administration and find faults with the running of the organisation, particularly allowing Jack to orchestrate all kinda madman deals...we warriors could be banned until a re-elected admin put in place.

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
UNC was very corrupted and Jack Warner in de right party, because he love corruption and bribe..

Ah styill eh voting for Manning though....

We need a new party in T&T and a dougla should run it... any suggestion allyuh ?.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>