April 19, 2024, 01:04:47 PM

Author Topic: Joe Public back in T&T Pro League.  (Read 10134 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Joe Public back in T&T Pro League.
« on: February 23, 2006, 07:09:43 AM »
Joe Public back in T&T Pro League.
By: Walter Alibey (Newsday).
[/size]

Joe Public Football Club footballers are back in the T&T Pro League. And yesterday the club’s owner Jack Warner said he will do all necessary to win the competition even if it means recruiting overseas players, but only in the short term.
The announcement came during a launch of the T&T Pro League at the Crowne Plaza, Port-of-Spain.
League chairman Larry Romany also revealed yesterday that the popular Sportworld National Super League will now be run by the T&T Pro League.
Warner, a FIFA vice-president currently at the centre of a World Cup ticket controversy said the sport has been boosted by the country’s qualification to the World Cup in Germany in June-July this year.
But he pointed out it was critical for a strong football league to be established locally if Trinidad and Tobago are to maintain a high level standard of football and continue to qualify for future World Cup tournaments.
Warner said he marveled at the handing out of two town-houses to national players Cyd Gray and Aurtis Whitley saying that such a luxury was not possible a year ago and stressed that the time has come to pool efforts towards a programme where football can be sustained and developed.
He said the fact that eight players from leading club CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh have played on the national team tells a lot about the role the pro-league is playing in the sport.
Warner said all must forget the past and focus on what lies ahead adding that the 2006 World Cup is coming quickly and 18 months from now qualification for the 2010 Finals in South Africa will star.
Romany said his association made a request to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) to take over the Super League in order to form a link between the two competitions. He said when this proposal was granted, the league took a decision to implement a system of promotion and demotion for 2007.
He said the top two teams from the Super League will go into the Pro League which will kick off April 8.
T&T Pro League Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Dexter Skeene described the league as a house of opportunities for many young and upcoming footballers. He said the Pro League was also committed to being the best football competition in the region. This year's tournament will now consist of W Connection, San Juan Jabloteh, Caledonia AIA Fire, North East Stars, Joe Public, Defence Force, Tobago United, United Petrotrin, Starworld Strikers and the National Super league team, possibly Superstar Rangers.
T&T Pro League takes over the Super League.
By Joel Villafana.

Come the 2006 season, the T&T Pro League will take under its wings the Semi-Pro ‘Super League’. Chairman of the T&T Pro League Larry Romany announced on Wednesday 22 February, at a media conference, that the Pro League would now be responsible for the management and running of the Super League.
Mr. Romany explained the Pro League made a proposal to the Trinidad and Tobago football federation to take over the Super League, in order for the proper management of the process of promotion and demotion between the two leagues.
“There was need to have integration between the two leagues and I am pleased to say that the proposal was approved by a special committee set up for this purpose,” said Romany.
The Pro League Chairman also stated the services of Mr. Anthony Harford of all sports promotion will be retained because he has done an excellent job and we feel the Super League should continue to be marketed as an independent, unique product.
Mr. Romany indicated there are still a few hitches to be worked out before things get rolling, but said, “The main thing is that we are now together on the same page and I think this will augur well for he development of football in T&T in the long term.”
The promotion/relegation system is expected to kick in at the end of the
2006 season—where it is being proposed the top (2) Super League teams will move up into the Pro League—with the bottom (2) Pro League teams being demoted into the Super League.
Mr. Romany assured the League will be working closely with the top 2 Super League teams and will be assisting them in attaining the necessary requirements needed to step up at the professional level.
All Sports Promotions Director Anthony Harford has welcomed the move, he told ttproleague.com, “I have absolutely no difficulty with the move—when we started the Super League, the Pro League was in transition mode, and over the last couple of years the Pro League has demonstrated that they have been able to build a successful brand, and compounded with the country’s qualification for the World Cup, we had no hesitation with this venture.”
The Super League is expected to have eight teams for the 2006 season, Mr. Harford stated that it was always the intention to start the league with ten teams and then drop to eight.
He explained the reason saying, “We don’t believe at that level, having 10 Pro League teams, that there will be enough quality teams coming forward to sustain a semi-pro league with ten teams.”
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 05:25:56 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Public back in T&T Pro League.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 07:33:09 AM »
This is good for the league. Now Joe , Jab and WC will have first class teams  :applause: :applause:

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 07:40:44 AM »
Now we will get to see Hardest mashing up the PFL once more!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 07:59:14 AM »
Jemmott and Dwarika will get they chance....

Andrews, Saunders and King also play for Joe Public.

Joe Public also love to sign Jamaicans...

http://www.socawarriors.net/joe_public.htm

So I backing Jabloteh all de way...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 08:02:52 AM »
This is  great news. Now maybe we would see more competition in the league.

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 08:09:10 AM »
All them US based college players who finish school should return home and try and play for some pro league team..... we does lost to many players who does make they VISA expire on them in de USA...

The T&T pro league will get better once we start getting some of we retired or out of contract players (Marcelle, Latapy, Rougier, Rahim, Fitzpatrick, Rojas, Nigel Henry, Richard G, Derek Phillips, Craig Demmin, Collin Phillips, Errol McFarlane, Evans Wise, Rick Titus, Irasto Knights, Terry St Louis) to come back...

Cant wait for de concacaf cup.... blow out them Jamaicans....... we have 2 teams going.....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:12:35 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

TrinInfinite

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 08:09:31 AM »
I backin Jor public, cant wait for hardest tuh mash dem up, we go see whos who now, joepublic all de way, dwarika and hardest  :beermug:

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

vibes it up

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 09:16:24 AM »
I backin Jor public, cant wait for hardest tuh mash dem up, we go see whos who now, joepublic all de way, dwarika and hardest  :beermug:

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

vibes it up

i wonder what Jack seeing in hardest and dwarika to have dem dey ?

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 09:20:18 AM »
When Jack pull Joe Public out of the then PFL, what were the reasons given? Has things gotten better JW took his club and his money out? Why do they want to get back in now? ... Always questions ... never answers   :(
Live large and prosper!

TrinInfinite

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 09:24:11 AM »
JW neva have answers anyway, so we wont know why and even if he say why he witdraw JP, it will b a real round a bout answer ::)

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 09:31:07 AM »
Is good that Joe Pulbic back in the fray.  Another good thing is that if they bring in foreign players, the crowds might quicker come out to see football.  At least it wouldn't be the same old tired faces, playing the same old tired shit...as some people would say.  But opening up the competition is a good thing.

I can't really see how joining the Super League and the PFL go improve we football though.  Things just gone back to the way it was a couple years ago.  They just change the name of the league and pay some players a pitance....but really it will just be the same as 1st Div, 2nd Div and the same promotion theory.

What going to happen when the top teams in the Super League cyah come up with the $500,000 to play in the PFL, or do they plan to scrap/lower the entrance fee to make it open to any team  ???

What about entrance to the Super League  ???  Will that come from the next lower league or yuh have to pay money to play dey too ???

Right now the SL games does have bigger crowd than the PFL games, so the PFL administration just might f**k up a good league now.  We will have to wait and see.

But the statement about how much local players come from the PFL to make the national senior team have to be a joke....WHERE ELSE DEY GO COME FROM  ??? ??? ???  The coaches doh look at nobody who not playing in the PFL.  That is why Hardest probably cyah get a recall... :-\ :devil:

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 09:33:49 AM »
doh worry all de haters and doubters who doh like de man dey call hardest, will see him now, he go rip up dem pro league man now, one setta of spanner and cap fuh days, ull see some creativity and sheer brilliance
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:36:15 AM by TrinInfinite »

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 09:35:48 AM »
... He said when this proposal was granted, the league took a decision to implement a system of promotion and demotion for 2007.He said the top two teams from the Super League will go into the Pro League which will kick off April 8.
T&T Pro League Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Dexter Skeene described the league as a house of opportunities for many young and upcoming footballers. He said the Pro League was also committed to being the best football competition in the region.

Is this the first time they are doing this promotion and relegation? I think its a good idea, it makes the league more interesting, you have to keep an eye on the top and the bottom of the table now.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:36:27 AM by Tallman »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 09:54:39 AM »
When Jack pull Joe Public out of the then PFL, what were the reasons given? Has things gotten better JW took his club and his money out? Why do they want to get back in now? ... Always questions ... never answers   :(
Eastern Lions to pull out Pro League.

By Joel Bailey - T&T Newsday.
08-Jan-2004 - It’s official! Joe Public Football Club are indeed playing their final season in the T&T Pro League. According to club chairman and owner Jack Austin Warner, Joe Public will be out of the competition at the end of the current season. “Joe Public will be playing, if accepted, in the Super League,” added the FIFA vice-president and head of CONCACAF. The club was formed in 1996 by the Warner family (Jack, wife Maureen as well as sons Daryan and Darryl) with veteran administrator Harold Taylor as co-chairman. It is based at the Lever Brothers ground in Tunapuna, which is now the site of the Dr Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence. With a stated aim of “setting the trend for establishing high standards of professionalism at club football in the Caribbean” Joe Public won the 1998 Craven A Semi-Professional Football League and were runners-up in 1997, 1999 and 2001. They also copped the 2001 FA Trophy, after being the beaten finalists in 1999 and 2000. But the club has been on a downward slide since and, bedevilled by indiscipline and lack of financial returns, have suffered to make an impact this season.
“Joe Public, over the last six years, have spent over $21 million and I don’t think that is value for money. And nothing I’ve seen in the Pro League seems to suggest that there will be an improvement,” Warner said. Commenting on the current Pro League, which have lacked an official sponsor since Warner pulled out of local football after the 2001 General Elections, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) advisor said: “I wish them well if they can improve.” “I’ve tried to get the two leagues (Pro and Super) to merge, and therefore use all the expertise that we have in a small country. I did not succeed. I also tried to see whether they can attract sponsors since I’ve left. They have not done that. “For me, I could not continue with the financial haemorrhage that has taken place with my company, my family and the association,” he said.
The Macoya-based club had a number of coaches during their stint at the highest level of local football, including Keith Look Loy, Yugoslavian Zoran Vranes, Jamaal Shabazz, Kenny Joseph, Clayton Morris, and the incumbent Ron La Forest while Richard Abraham and Joseph Sam Phillip served as managers of the club. And, among the long list of high-profile players to wear the Joe Public’s colours were national representatives Arnold Dwarika, Travis Mulraine, Nigel Pierre, Dale Saunders, Michael McComie, Lyndon Andrews, Kerwyn Jemmott, Stokely Mason, Keyeno Thomas, Adaryl John and Angus Eve as well as midfielder Kendall Velox (St Vincent) and striker McUnisa Conteh (Sierra Leone).

Like JW got his wish finally :devil:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:56:39 AM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 09:55:41 AM »
Is good that Joe Pulbic back in the fray.  Another good thing is that if they bring in foreign players, the crowds might quicker come out to see football.  At least it wouldn't be the same old tired faces, playing the same old tired shit...as some people would say.  But opening up the competition is a good thing.

I can't really see how joining the Super League and the PFL go improve we football though.  Things just gone back to the way it was a couple years ago.  They just change the name of the league and pay some players a pitance....but really it will just be the same as 1st Div, 2nd Div and the same promotion theory.

What going to happen when the top teams in the Super League cyah come up with the $500,000 to play in the PFL, or do they plan to scrap/lower the entrance fee to make it open to any team  ???

What about entrance to the Super League  ???  Will that come from the next lower league or yuh have to pay money to play dey too ???

Right now the SL games does have bigger crowd than the PFL games, so the PFL administration just might f**k up a good league now.  We will have to wait and see.

But the statement about how much local players come from the PFL to make the national senior team have to be a joke....WHERE ELSE DEY GO COME FROM  ??? ??? ???  The coaches doh look at nobody who not playing in the PFL.  That is why Hardest probably cyah get a recall... :-\ :devil:

Could you have been any more optimistic !!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 09:59:49 AM »
Ah watching to see the development of Starworld Strikers.  I think them being in the pro league is essential to SOuth football, because it allows Southern players to play at a higher level.  They have been known to make their player pool a strong inclusion of South-bred players.  That is the problem with South football now; not enough teams are playing in the top competitions.  Yuh cyar say Connection is a South team, cause their player pool is very diverse.  I'm not knocking them, but I think it's good to sort of keep the "roots" of a team alive.  That is why the National League had such a good following.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 10:12:32 AM »
Jack the spoil chile felt that the league would have buss without him. Boy was he wrong. So he has to bring back his marbles and join the game.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 10:49:50 AM »
Ah boy the final year for Tobago United in d Pro League, I think dis is what is needed though for d quality of football to improve, and it probably not going to show until probably two or three years down the road where some of the weaker teams will be relegated and stronger Super League teams move up to the Pro League.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 11:15:25 AM »
When Jack pull Joe Public out of the then PFL, what were the reasons given? Has things gotten better JW took his club and his money out? Why do they want to get back in now? ... Always questions ... never answers :(
Eastern Lions to pull out Pro League.

By Joel Bailey - T&T Newsday.
08-Jan-2004 -
“Joe Public, over the last six years, have spent over $21 million and I don’t think that is value for money. And nothing I’ve seen in the Pro League seems to suggest that there will be an improvement,” Warner said. Commenting on the current Pro League, which have lacked an official sponsor since Warner pulled out of local football after the 2001 General Elections, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) advisor said: “I wish them well if they can improve.” “I’ve tried to get the two leagues (Pro and Super) to merge, and therefore use all the expertise that we have in a small country. I did not succeed. I also tried to see whether they can attract sponsors since I’ve left. They have not done that. “For me, I could not continue with the financial haemorrhage that has taken place with my company, my family and the association,” he said.

Like JW got his wish finally :devil:

When Jack was with the Kaiser, he boasted about his now infamous predictions leading up to qualification for the WC...and he was now boldly predicting that we would beat England.  Now it seems that his prediction for joining of the leagues...made more than 2 yrs ago...would actually come to pass.

And at the risk of sounding PESSIMISTIC ....anybody could answer the following questions ?

Will the PFL continue to demand $500,000 plus the insurance and other requirements to play in the league ?
What happens when the Super League winner cannot afford the demands of 'professional' football ?
How does a club gain entrance to the Super League, will it also be by promotion from the lower leagues ?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 11:19:45 AM »
With respect to the money and insurance issue i think its a lot easier to compromise or have some sort of plan in place for smaller clubs who cannot afford the financial step up when one organization overlooking both leagues, before it was two separate entities and I sure a more hard lined approach was taken with respect to entrance into the league. PFL will want to ensure that this new system will be successful and come up with a plan accordingly, i sounding real hopeful there i know  :-\
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

fabio

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 11:23:45 AM »
who go be in charge of d team then? jack warner? ???

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 12:39:21 PM »
With respect to the money and insurance issue i think its a lot easier to compromise or have some sort of plan in place for smaller clubs who cannot afford the financial step up when one organization overlooking both leagues, before it was two separate entities and I sure a more hard lined approach was taken with respect to entrance into the league. PFL will want to ensure that this new system will be successful and come up with a plan accordingly, i sounding real hopeful there i know :-\

What ah fraid with that, is that some men done complaining that the players money too small...what go happen now, when they lower the requirements and small teams cyah make the grade ?  Look how yuh doh hear 'bout teams like Docs Khewalas again...and they wanted to make a comeback to PFL recently.

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 02:20:04 PM »
This is good for the league. Now Joe , Jab and WC will have first class teams  :applause: :applause:

i concur. i was always dreaming
 for "public" to return

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 02:23:08 PM »

i cant wait to see the new public team.

eastern lions

1]; } ?>