March 28, 2024, 03:38:39 PM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke Official Thread  (Read 94901 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke Official Thread
« on: March 05, 2006, 10:37:04 PM »
Dwight Yorke truly made me proud
Letter to the Trinidad Express

The performance of Trinidad and Tobago football captain in the inaugural Australian A League football in Sydney over the weekend was truly outstanding.

Dwight Yorke was awarded the Joe Marston Medal as man of the match, not only for setting up the only and winning goal but for his general all-round play, leading his Sydney FC team throughout the match and particularly in the second half. His performance was all the more meritorious for him having flown to England and back during this past week to play and also star for T&T in the friendly played there.

Mr Yorke then spoke to the crowd of nearly 42,000 fans, a record for football in Sydney, in a most eloquent and pleasant manner that would bring pride and honour to all in T&T in much the same way that Brian Lara didwhen the Windies toured here late last year.

Together these two outstanding sportsmen have brought great notice and appreciation of what our little country can do and maybe there will be more of the same with the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne starting next week.

As Trinidad & Tobago's Honorary Consul-General in Australia for 25 years and also a national representative in track some 50 years ago these performances and subsequent actions made me more proud and pleased than usual.

Mike Agostini
Sydney, Australia

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:52:48 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke truly made me proud
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 08:20:14 AM »
he made the front page of the papers in sydney.

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
Yorke in front
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 09:30:31 AM »
A certain former national player say that Yorke should start in the fgorward position for trinidad and tobago, Does any one agree with him?

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke in front
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 11:28:38 AM »
A certain former national player say that Yorke should start in the fgorward position for trinidad and tobago, Does any one agree with him?

I agree, because that is where Dwight Yorke is most deadly, just check his record  as a striker, but then again the final decision is down to the coach based on his tactics, and the shape and formation that he intends to use for the upcoming games.

Beenie experimenting right now with 4 defenders, 5 midfielders and a lone striker.
Dwight is being used as a midfielder in the hole just in front of Birchall and it is working for the team, since we are now scoring and not conceding.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke in front
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »

With the continued emergence of Whitley, Carlos and now Samuel, I would agree with that if Latas still had 90 minutes in him at international level. As we don't, I think Yorke will see more of the ball and have a  greater influence on the national team game playing in midfield and pushing forward from deep where his runs are harder to pick up. He will score more goals that way too. He is the soul of the side now and has to be continually involved...I doh really feel that happening in the forward line given our personell...to move him to forward will cost us to much in the engine room. Yorke, Whitley and Birchall is an increasingly improving combination of creativity, technique, strength, and tenacity in the center of the park.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 12:40:12 PM »
Good post deh FILHO  :applause: :applause:

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 02:17:22 PM »
he made the front page of the papers in sydney.

Like Yorke see an old Manchester ghost!

:rotfl:

well done yorke
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 12:44:26 AM »

It is really nice to sea one of our own Trinbago youth performing at a high level, wherever he is, and being lauded for it.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 12:54:39 AM »
Yorke is superb in his midfield/withdrawn attacker role and I hope he stays there

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
When in need, Yorke will play for country
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 09:29:04 AM »
When in need, Yorke will play for country.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago captain Dwight Yorke has insisted that he has a great understanding with the T&T Football Federation but he will give more of his time to Sunderland FC and will switch the focus to his country only when it is absolutely necessary.
Yorke who turned 35 this month , was talking to reporters in Sunderland as he commented on his absence for the “Soca Warriors” who went down 4-1 to Austria in Vienna on Wednesday. He pulled out of the squad forcing coach Wim Rijsbergen to replace him with T&T-based midfielder Kerry Baptiste, who was less than starting material and was only used late in the match with it already out of T&T’s reach.
“We are in a situation [at Sunderland] where we have to start winning matches on a more regular basis. It is nice to play for your country, but I feel I have to give my full concentration to Sunderland,” Yorke was quoted as saying on the club’s official website.
"It is more important I am here helping the team prepare for the weekend than going to Austria for what is only a friendly. I have a great understanding with the T&T FA (TTFF) and they know my situation here.
"I am not saying it is over for me, but they know there will be times when I will not make myself available.
Rijsbergen was asked about Yorke's absence in Vienna on the eve of the friendly and though admitting that he would have liked the player to be there, he did say that Yorke would join the squad under the basis that it has no massive effect on his status with Sunderland, citing the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2007 as one of the events likely to see the skipper in action for his country.

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Last goodbye for hero Yorke.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 09:03:57 AM »
Last goodbye for hero Yorke.
By: Ian Law (Sunderland Echo).
[/size]

Trinidad & Tobago hope Sunderland midfielder Dwight Yorke will come out of international retirement so that his countrymen can give him a proper farewell. Yorke called time on his T&T career for a second time in March so that he could concentrate on helping Sunderland back to the Premiership.
The 35-year-old had previously retired in 2001, only to make a comeback and take part in last summer's World Cup finals.
Now Concacaf – the region's version of Uefa ­– hope to make a special award to Yorke, the most famous player in the history of Caribbean football.
T&T spokesman Shaun Fuentes told the Echo: "Concacaf want to honour Dwight for his contribution, not just to Trinidad but to his clubs and to all of football in this region.
"It was felt that we should ask Dwight to come back one last time and go out with a bang.
"The Concacaf president Mr Jack Warner has tried to make contact, but Dwight has not responded yet.
"It would be special if he could come back for a big farewell.
"Dwight is still a massive influence here, even though he made his decision to retire from international football."
Yorke won 59 official international caps but played in more than 100 T&T games that weren't recognised by Fifa as competitive matches.
He led a rebellion by T&T players over a row about World Cup payments and has not played for his country since the conflict blew up in October, when he scored in a 5-0 friendly win over St Vincent and the Grenadines.
The Soca Warriors host the inaugural Digicel Shield at the end of this month, also involving Cuba and Haiti and Mexico's Olympic team.
They then head for America to compete in the Concacaf Gold Cup from June 6, facing USA, El Salvador and Guatemala in the initial group stage.
"I am quite hopeful that Dwight will come back and appear in the Digicel Shield and perhaps the start of the Gold Cup," said Fuentes.
"Every young footballer in Trinidad dreams of following Dwight into the Premiership and he has made them believe their dreams can come true."
Sunderland winger Carlos Edwards is also in the Soca Warriors' squad for the Digicel Shield and Gold Cup.
He was troubled again by his shoulder injury in the Black Cats' rousing end to the season at Luton earlier this month, but Fuentes said: "Carlos has made himself available.
"The national team is already in training and Carlos has not reported yet, but we are sure he will soon be with us.
"It is great for Trinidad football to have Dwight, Carlos and Stern John back in the Premiership with Sunderland and we are all now following the club with special interest."
Meanwhile, Yorke has warned fans not to raise their hopes too high for next season. "It has been a magnificent first season for the gaffer and expectations are now very hight for next year.
"I think we all have to take a bit of a step back and just realise what the boss has managed to do in such a short space of time.
"We have to realise that promotion was achieved very quickly, so I hope that doesn't send expectations through the roof.
"We have a lot of building to do and, as the gaffer says, we have not achieved anything other than promotion so far.
"We want to be a force in the Premiership, but that will take time, hard work and a fair number of new faces.
"The boss has laid the foundations, now we have to build on them. Too many teams go into the Premiership then come back down straight away.
"We don't want to do that. We want to stay there and become a real force."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keane dampens Yorke ambitions
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 06:17:30 AM »
Keane dampens Yorke ambitions.
By: Dan Quarrell (Setanta Sports).

Sunderland manager Roy Keane has urged Dwight Yorke to quell speculation that he is set to make an international return. The veteran midfielder retired from Trinidad and Tobago duty after the 2006 World Cup and Keane has warned Yorke not to jeopardise his club prospects for a fresh spell with his country.

Asked if Yorke would be returning to international duty, Keane told the Daily Star on Sunday: "No, he won't be, although I know he bloody played a few weeks ago.

"He keeps making these guest appearances,” he added.

The 36-year-old had indicated he was prepared to come out of international retirement to help his country’s bid to reach the 2010 World Cup finals but Keane was unimpressed by this suggestion.

"Maybe if he's not playing many games for us there's a chance of him going to play for them and I wouldn't be so critical," Keane added.

"I think Yorkie retired after the 2006 World Cup. It was Yorkie's decision to retire and hopefully he will stick with it. I'll discuss it with him in the next few days."

Meanwhile, Keane has confirmed that Ross Wallace and Liam Miller have been removed from the transfer list after making positive impacts during pre-season.

"I've taken them off that," said Keane. "Ross has come back and looked pretty sharp, following on from how well he was doing towards the back end of last season.

"Liam has kept his head down like a good professional and been doing things properly and I take note of that. If you do that, there won't be an issue. Last year is history and you have to move on."
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:15:12 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keane dampens Yorke ambitions
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 06:27:04 AM »

The boss has spoken
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 06:59:26 AM »

The boss has spoken

but it wouldn't be the first time Keane had to back track on something he said to the media - he likes to shoot off his mouth. 
It's up to Yorke to decide if he wants to play for T&T, not Keane.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 07:03:32 AM by arrow »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 07:46:15 AM »
Somebody need to hit Roy Keane and hard cuff behind he head and shut him up. Bring by Patrick Vieri as he was de only man during his Arsenal days who had Keane under manners.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 07:54:08 AM »
Like Keane want Trinis start tuh hate him or what?
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 08:02:55 AM »
Keane just vex dat when hewas dat age he couldn't make he national team. What hegoin and do tief he passport. He needs 2 shut up b4 we bombard Sunderland site and pound he TNT style
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 08:19:22 AM »
I ain't really see anything wrong with what Keane has intimated.

Objectively speaking, without bias, it's Sunderland who paying is wages. Many players retire from int'l football citing concentrating on club football as a major reason and even those that don't, create a legitimate expectation in their club's mind that that would be a result.

Clubs then might start to make more concrete plans around that player and we don't even know if that was the basis upon which Sunderland granted (a rather generous IMO) one year extension to Dwight.

These clubs need certainty with respect to their players commitments over a season.

Yes, players are allowed to play for their national teams and that is always paramount, but when you have a man choosing selective retirement, coming out when he pleases, it does create uncertainty for a club planning for their season.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:34:51 AM by FLi ! »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »
Since he unretire for d n time during d off season u have time 2 put your house n order. We all know d blacklist nonesense cause he and Lawerence 2 call it quits now d list gone everybody back so Keane need 2 take a chill pill
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini boi

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 09:17:11 AM »

Objectively speaking, without bias, it's Sunderland who paying is wages. Many players retire from int'l football citing concentrating on club football as a major reason and even those that don't create a legitimate expectation in their club's mind that that would be a result.

Clubs then might start to make more concrete plans around that player and we don't even know if that was the basis upon which Sunderland granted (a rather generous IMO) one year extension to Dwight.

These clubs need certainty with respect to their players commitments over a season.

Yes, players are allowed to play for their national teams and that is always paramount, but when you have a man choosing selective retirement, coming out when he pleases, it does create uncertainty for a club planning for their season.

Something like what Brett Favre doing to Green Bay, haha :devil:

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 09:28:22 AM »
It boils down to as i've always said these guys want to control/dictate what they should or should do for administrations,i wonder what's in the contract these guys does sign?do they read before they sign or not?i like what does go on here one Minuit people supporting Roy Keane because it's to fight JW,now the shoes on the other foot everybody want to kill him because he is taking a stand,yes Roy Keane might be a big mouth but most times he stands on principle,Yorke and them getting away with what they are doing because Jack is the one encourageing them to come out of retirement so he can use them,in the real world things don't work like that is big men you playing with,that's why i admire Latapy he retire and that's it he moving on in life.

Sometimes we have to try and understand where these guys are coming from,with all the friend he and Dwight is when it comes to business there is a fine line,i wonder if he does have problems with players from other countries like he has with ours and the TTFF?may be he find T&T players affecting his plans,it's always something going on or wrong with somebody,so far he has never had all his T&T players healthy at any time and mind you they have to be paid,some how through no fault of theirs they are fit for T&T again who foots the bill,he needs those players just as much as T&T does.

I personally hate when clubs don't want to release players for international games but at the same time i understand when they do because the reasoning on both sides are logical,the players concerned are always caught in no man's land because it's not their decision to make weather they stay or go.

Just want to add this while i'm here,i hope people taking notice of how many of our young inexperienced players who at times we found should not be on a T&T team being reviewed for contracts/trials etc etc,all because of the exposure/chance they got they/we are able to reap the benefits today,although i'm against blacklisting players but it did allow a set of players who otherwise would not have been seen to come forward,as bad as some might want to say they are but we have to give some credit to Maturana and Corneal for hanging in there and working with what ever they had.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:45:53 AM by Coop's »

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 09:39:16 AM »
that's why i admire Latapy he retire and that's it he moving on in life.

Entirely agreed. To be honest, what comes to mind with all this retiring, and unretiring is a man lacking focus and more importantly a lack of options outside of playing football.

Latas already has the player/manager thing going and is making moves into management soon.

Shaka doing his commentary with ESPN

Ato has his commentary contract with CBS still as well.

Lara also doing his thing and concentrating on life outside of first class cricket.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 09:59:43 AM »

Objectively speaking, without bias, it's Sunderland who paying is wages. Many players retire from int'l football citing concentrating on club football as a major reason and even those that don't, create a legitimate expectation in their club's mind that that would be a result.

That is nonsense.

Yorke isn't stringing Sunderland along in anyway as "selective retirement" implies... you'd swear Yorke treating retirement like a conga line...jumping in and out when he feels like it.  Yorke 'retired' due to political reasons some years back then reconsidered during the Germany campaign.  When Sunderland signed Yorke he was an international player and they knew there'd be obligations to country that they'd have to deal with... so spare me this "Sunderland paying salary" bullshit.

If Yorke want's to represent his country then that is his choice.  Keane needs to shut his ass... especially given the supporting role he played in Ireland's international demise under his tenure as was captain.  He is publicly grousing... as he always does... because it is clear he has issues with the TTFF and has had to endure conflicts involving Edwards and Jones as a result.  I'm sure he's not thrilled at the prospect of losing yet another key player for parts of the season.  His priorities are rightly with the club, but Yorke's priorities don't have to be his priorities, as any rational person would note.  Trinidad and Tobago has a heckuva lot more to do with Dwight Yorke being the player he's been than Sunderland has, if he want to continue to give back to his country then that is his right and he shouldn't have to suffer public criticism from his manager for having exercised that right.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:00:58 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 10:22:25 AM »
I told you all Keane was a twat in the other thread, but no one believed me

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 10:25:33 AM »

That is nonsense.

Yorke isn't stringing Sunderland along in anyway as "selective retirement" implies... you'd swear Yorke treating retirement like a conga line...jumping in and out when he feels like it. Yorke 'retired' due to political reasons some years back then reconsidered during the Germany campaign.  When Sunderland signed Yorke he was an international player and they knew there'd be obligations to country that they'd have to deal with... so spare me this "Sunderland paying salary" bullshit.

Trinidad and Tobago has a heckuva lot more to do with Dwight Yorke being the player he's been than Sunderland has

But it's blatantly clear that's exactly what he doing. Choosing, which teams he wants to play against, when he wants to join up with the team. And as for political reasons, you think Yorke is the first int'l player to retire for political reasons? STEUPS pls. And he ain't the first Trini either to retire for political reasons. Latas retired with dwight in that same campaign, came back for the 2006 campaign, retired after that in a fitting game at the HSL and we haven't heard a peep from him again with respect to any coming out of retirement.

Shaka retired again for political reasons in the 90s, came back, retired after WC Germany, had his nice retirement game and that's it as well, no speculation as to will I,  won't I. punto final.

I find your second comment laughable; although Sunderland might not have had a lot to do with his progress as a player; arriving at the stadium of light in his waning years, surely the vast majority of credit for Dwight Yorke's success as a player has to be given to Aston Villa and Manchester United, not Trinidad and Tobago

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 10:31:10 AM »
U cyah compare Lara and Shaka wit Yorke. Dem fellas have a life plan Yorke eh have none

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 10:33:55 AM »
U cyah compare Lara and Shaka wit Yorke. Dem fellas have a life plan Yorke eh have none

well weary, that's my point exactly.

Should Sunderland suffer and should other players who may potentially lose a spot suffer because Yorkie think he coulda play football his whole life ?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 10:41:52 AM »
Keane know dat and he sign him so dis is d consequences he playin 4 d SW 2 day and he not playin 4 d SW 2morrow.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 10:44:52 AM »
Regardless if a player has a history of coming in and out of retirement, his club coach has no right to tell him he should not play for his country.....you think if it was an English player (instead of Yorke) Keane would have said all this shit bout this player not playing for England...steupse
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 10:49:18 AM by Sando prince »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 10:49:40 AM »
It doh matter how much friggin times Yorke retire and un-retire no one should have the power from stopping any player from his country in a major thing like World Cup qualifying matches,ah say nobody and ah mean nofactingbody.That is the way football going in our timesyuh doh own them bcoz yuh pay them.

1]; } ?>