March 28, 2024, 05:18:33 AM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke Official Thread  (Read 94890 times)

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke Official Thread
« Reply #330 on: November 15, 2017, 11:59:23 AM »
Dwight is so delusional yes...Haha

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #331 on: December 02, 2017, 05:10:26 AM »
Yorke slams ‘None’ response to stadium repairs.
By Jelani Beckles (Newsday).

Yorke saddened by stadium woes

Former national football team captain Dwight Yorke has expressed shock over the response from Tobago Sports Secretary Jomo Pitt to a question posed to him last Thursday about short term plans to fix infrastructural problems at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet, Tobago.

Yorke, currently in Thailand as a FIFA legend, accompanying FIFA president Gianni Infantino for the opening of the FA Thailand High Performance Training Centre, said he received a copy of the video being circulated, on Monday, which showed Pitt stating, “My response to the question posed: none,” as he offered no explanation as to why he could not provide an answer about any plans to address the current shortfalls at the stadium.

“To be quite honest, I was shocked at the response and I am disappointed that it’s been allowed to get to this point where access to lights, and proper gym and track facilities are not readily available,” Yorke stated.

Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Darryl Smith said the process has begun to renovate the Dwight Yorke Stadium. “When we came into office all the stadia were in disrepair. They were never maintained or upgraded and that is the problem that we have had in Trinidad and Tobago,” Smith said.

Smith said since the budget was presented, on October 2, work started on the facility. “The week of the budget, when the final budget was approved, we took $5 million to do some work with the Dwight Yorke Stadium. The same week the budget was approved, we had a team from UDECOTT on the ground meeting with THA (Tobago House of Assembly) at the facility. I want to take a note to Cabinet within the next few weeks to get that job started so we could finally fix Dwight Yorke Stadium and keep it at a level.” Smith said all other sporting facilities in TT will also be upgraded.

Yorke said the Dwight Yorke Stadium is the top facility in Tobago and many athletes depend on it. “The stadium, as we all know, is the premier facility for sport on the island and it is the only real facility for young athletes and footballers to train. This has been going on for some time, in terms of the conditions being unsuitable for these athletes and footballers to use, and it’s disappointing that we are still at that point; so much so that athletes are now refusing to even go to the venue and are now forced to train in foreign countries”, Yorke said.

The Dubai-based former Manchester United striker said he expected Pitt to offer a far better response. “What to me was also very disappointing is that the individual, who was put there in a position to represent in the best interest of the people of Tobago, responded in a manner that was totally surprising. I think we all expected something better and the least Jomo could have done was speak out a bit and explain exactly what the situation is at the moment. Tell us where we are at in terms of the current scenario and where we can expect to go from here with regards to the stadium. But instead of doing that, he took the easy way out,”Yorke added.

Yorke said Tobagonian Paralympic athlete Akeem Stewart is suffering due to the inadequate facilities at the stadium.

“Look at young Akeem Stewart for instance... a gold medallist, who we should be ensuring receives everything he needs, and instead he’s left having to go elsewhere to train.” The former Sunderland man, who is currently an international sports ambassador for this country, said he was hopeful that the problem will be alleviated during the upcoming year.

RELATED NEWS

Pitt: Why not help us Yorke?
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

Jomo Pitt, the Secretary of Sports and Youth Affairs at the Tobago House of Assembly (THA), has called on legendary Trinidad and Tobago footballer Dwight Yorke to contribute to the state of sport in the sister isle.

On Thursday, Yorke, in a statement issued to the media, expressed his displeasure with Pitt’s response to a question posed to him at a THA session on November 23.

Pitt’s curt reply to a question by THA Minority Leader Watson Duke on the short term plan for improving the state of the Dwight Yorke Stadium created a stir.

Yorke, who was in Thailand along with FIFA president Gianni Infantino for the opening of the FA Thailand High Performance Training Centre, said in his statement, “I was shocked at (Pitt’s lack of) response and I am disappointed that it’s been allowed to get to this point where access to lights, and proper gym and track facilities are not readily available.”

Asked yesterday if he and/or the THA will be willing to meet with Yorke to deal with the improvement of the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Pitt replied, “We’ll be more interested in Dwight Yorke making a contribution to Tobago as opposed to facilities. We’re more interested in (enhancing) programmes and sports development as opposed to (improving) facilities – which has been sadly lacking from our international athletes, including Dwight Yorke.”

The THA sports secretary added, “I’m interested in sports development.

From what I (have) read, he’s in Thailand doing something for FIFA. If we could get that kind of similar commitment in Tobago, it’ll be much appreciated.”

About Yorke’s statement on Thursday, Pitt said, “It’s very unfortunate that Mr Yorke has voiced an opinion on something without getting the full gist of the story.”

Pitt noted, “It’s general knowledge that the Stadium does not fall under the ambit of the Assembly. It falls under the ambit of the Ministry of Sport.

“It’s quite unfortunate that he made those comments without having the information or contacting us to get the information,” Pitt added. “I’m disappointed in the statement that he made.”

Yorke also commented on the situation of Paralympic gold medallist and world record holder Akeem Stewart who has bemoaned the lack of adequate facilities to train in Tobago.

Pitt said, “We’ve provided some facilities at the gym because we’ve made short-term arrangements for our athletes in Tobago. The question (at the THA) was referring to the short-term plans for the refurbishment of the Stadium, which we really can’t do.

What we did is (provide) alternative arrangements for athletes to use other facilities, while the Dwight Yorke Stadium is being repaired, if and when it will be repaired.

“As it pertains to Akeem, like all our elite athletes, whether in Trinidad or Tobago (they) have to go overseas because of the resources, the coaching, things of that nature. Akeem wouldn’t be the first and I guess wouldn’t be the last to leave these shores,” Pitt said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 02, 2017, 09:31:25 AM »
Asked yesterday if he and/or the THA will be willing to meet with Yorke to deal with the improvement of the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Pitt replied, “We’ll be more interested in Dwight Yorke making a contribution to Tobago as opposed to facilities. We’re more interested in (enhancing) programmes and sports development as opposed to (improving) facilities – which has been sadly lacking from our international athletes, including Dwight Yorke.”

I think I dreamt somebody said the following, but long time ah begging Yorke to do some more, but like his time is more valuable for others  :
Wha is mine is mine,  what's TT's is mine, allyuh fix meh stadium. I have been all over the world for Fifa and Man U, it's my job. I can't come to Tobago if allyuh cyah pay meh. Like socawarriors an dem, Ah send some balls and jersey an ting, allyuh eh get it ? I give Katie all meh millions, ah couldna let dat pass.   

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 02, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
Who bringing any world class, high performance, elite programme to a shitty facility?

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 02, 2017, 05:03:35 PM »
Who bringing any world class, high performance, elite programme to a shitty facility?
Don't think anybody requesting a world class, high performance, elite programme doh ! How about some give back, a little giving of oneself and affording personal time can have some long lasting effects, especially from high profile world class, high performance experienced, elite ex-athletes. Sometimes more than years of coaching.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 02, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »
So delusional....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago's 2002 World Cup failure down to Dwight Yorke - Simoes
« Reply #336 on: December 12, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago's 2002 World Cup failure down to Dwight Yorke - Simoes
ESPN Staff

Former Trinidad and Tobago coach Rene Simoes has told ESPN Brasil that he excluded Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy from his squad in 2001 because the pair drank heavily the evening before a training session.

Simoes caused a shock when he announced that Yorke, then at Manchester United, and Latapy, at Scottish club Hibernian, had been axed from his squad in June that year.

Ahead of a key World Cup qualifier against Jamaica, Simoes told reporters the duo had failed to attend a training session -- and 16 years later he revealed the details behind his decision and said he felt failure to reach the 2002 tournament had been down to Yorke.

He recalled: "I coached Dwight Yorke in only one game, a friendly, and he played really well that day.

"However, he failed to show up for the training session after that, and unfortunately we had to kick him out of the squad.

"That was a real shame, because he was playing good football for Trinidad's national team and the country was counting on him to take them to their first World Cup.

"Someone came to me and said that they [Yorke and Latapy] had had a lot to drink and that's why they didn't show up for training.

"That left me without a choice -- I had to kick them out."

Simoes said Yorke was "a fantastic player" but had "made a huge mistake."

And he added: "For me, that was the main reason for Trinidad not making it to the 2002 World Cup. After that, I left the national team and they started the project that led them to the 2006 World Cup."

Yorke and Latapy returned to the Trinidad and Tobago squad after Simoes left, having apologised.

Yorke captained his country at the 2006 World Cup in Germany, but they went out in the group stage after defeats to England and Paraguay.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 13, 2017, 02:17:13 AM »

"Someone came to me and said that they [Yorke and Latapy] had had a lot to drink and that's why they didn't show up for training.

Was that the only option available to Simões? Was it the best option? Were there "better" options? Was it an option in the "national interest" (... national team, right?)?

Thoughts?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 13, 2017, 10:55:31 AM »

Was that the only option available to Simões? Was it the best option? Were there "better" options? Was it an option in the "national interest" (... national team, right?)?

Thoughts?

Sometimes good or bad, coaches have to make decisions in the best interest of the team not the individual. As hard as the decision was at the time, I agreed with the coach. Dwight needed a clout upside his f—king head that year.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:51:16 PM by Deeks »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #339 on: December 13, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »
In all fairness Yorke and Latas had that problem more than once with the Nat. team.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke has coaching session with Manchester United Reserves
« Reply #340 on: January 27, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »
Dwight Yorke has coaching session with Manchester United Reserves
By Adam Marshall (manutd.com)

Manchester United legend Dwight Yorke has spent some time training and working with the club's Reserves, ahead of Monday's Premier League 2 game at Old Trafford against Tottenham Hotspur (kick-off 19:00 GMT, entry is free).

Reds coach Ricky Sbragia discussed the positive impact the 46-year-old had at the Aon Training Complex and hopes more sessions can be arranged again with the ex-striker.

"I'd met Yorkie before and know he's an icon," Sbragia told MUTV. "I met him at Sunderland when I took over for a short spell. He came in and worked with us.

"He was fantastic here at United. He came in and watched what we did and talked about young players, before we let him do a session - eight versus eight and one-on-one all over the pitch. He then did some shooting demonstrations and was talking about scoring goals all his life.

"He was saying how good he was at that level and how nobody was better than Dwight Yorke - Coley [Andy Cole] didn't get a mention! No, seriously, he was fantastic. Later, he had 10 minutes with the players and I hope we can repeat that. He has come in and it lets us see things differently.

"Dwight has been all over the world, worked with a few clubs and he's played international football for Trinidad & Tobago. He gave players a different voice to listen to. He spoke to them for about 10 minutes and it was fantastic. I discussed his visit with the players the next morning and I asked what they had learned from it. I hope he can come in and do it again. Maybe we can have a q-and-a session with him as it's important and it was nice of him to do it."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #341 on: February 19, 2018, 02:42:53 AM »
Yorke sued by Neval for $.25m.
By Joel Julien (Guardian).

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke was served legal documents before his Seas the Moment fete in Tobago on Saturday, as current Chutney Soca Monarch Neval Chatelal has sued him in an effort to recover $250,000 which was lent to Yorke last year.

Chatelal has been pleading unsuccessfully since May last year with Yorke to pay him back the $250,000, according to documents filed in the San Fernando High Court on Thursday.

In the court documents, which have been obtained by the T&T Guardian, Chatelal said following the fete Yorke held in Tobago last March, known as Island Vibe, Yorke approached him to borrow some money.

Yorke, 46, said he needed the money because he was in “financial difficulty and unable to meet certain debts,” Chatelal stated in the court documents.

Among those that Yorke owed were the caterers who also took legal action but the matter was eventually settled out-of-court.

According to the court documents filed by Chatelal, Yorke stated he was “unable to secure a lender and desperately needed to pay service providers for his Island Vibe all-inclusive party which did not net a profit.”

Yorke said that “approaching the bank was not a viable consideration, as the time for approval from his bank would place him in an embarrassing situation with the persons and companies to which he was indebted after the event,” the court documents stated. Chatelal agreed to lend Yorke the $250,000.

Yorke, in turn, agreed to repay the $250,000 and $50,000 in interest after two months.

On March 7, last year Chatelal deposited the $250,000 into the Dwight Yorke Foundation Account held at Republic Bank.

After the two months passed when Yorke was allegedly supposed to repay all the money, Chatelal contacted him.

A series of WhatsApp messages between Yorke and Chatelal was produced as supporting evidence in the court documents.

Eventually, on December 20, Chatelal received the $50,000 interest from Yorke. Chatelal agreed to give Yorke some more time to pay off the debt in full.

After some more back and forth with Yorke and not getting the money owed Chatelal sought legal recourse.

Chatelal is being represented by former attorney general Senior Counsel Anand Ramlogan.

A pre-action protocol letter was sent to Yorke on January 15 where he was “invited to amicably settle the matter.”

There was no response to the pre-actionv protocol letter. The pre-action protocol time period expired on February 12.

The lawsuit was filed at the San Fernando High Court a few days after the time expired. The matter has been listed before Justice Ricky Rahim.

Yorke’s fete Seas The Moment was held at the Pigeon Point Heritage Park on Saturday with Ian “Bunji Garlin” Alvarez, second place in this year’s Road March competition Iwer George and Soca Monarch Aaron “Voice” St Louis among the performers.

While Bunji was performing at Seas The Moment, Road March winner Machel Montano was also in Tobago performing at the Call To Paradise fete held at the Magdalena Grand Beach and Golf Resort.

Montano had previously taken legal action against Yorke for falsely advertising that he was to perform at one of Yorke’s fetes. In 2016, Montano eventually dropped the lawsuit.

An injunction was granted to Montano to prevent Yorke from further using his name to promote the party.

In 1998 the Manchester United football club paid Aston Villa a transfer fee of £12.6 million for Yorke.

He was the club’s most expensive signing at the time. Yorke retired from football in 2009. Since then Yorke has faced some financial woes.

It was reported in British media last year that Yorke had put his six-bedroom mansion in Cheshire up for sale for £2.25 million.

According to reports, Yorke’s company assets showed a 73 per cent decline on the previous year and taking bank overdraft fees and loans into account, it had net assets of just £2.

Last year, a bankruptcy petition against Yorke was dropped.

Yorke was not present at a hearing at the Bankruptcy and Companies Court in London when the petition was formally dismissed by the court officials.

The registrar was told the amount owed by Yorke had fallen below the £5,000 threshold creditors can petition for a debtor to be made bankrupt.

His creditor was not named in court. Yorke could not be reached for comment last night.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 22, 2018, 07:55:12 PM »
Heard he pay off de guy

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #343 on: February 24, 2018, 04:57:27 AM »
NEVAL CHATELAL'S OPEN LETTER TO DWIGHT YORKE WILL HAVE YOU WANTING MORE.

Dear Dwight,

Firstly, thank you for doing the right thing and paying back your debt, the interest and legal fees. Persons who know me well, can attest to how many hours I put into my craft and I was certainly not ready to part with the monetary fruits of my hard work that easily.

I understand that I may be forgettable to a man of your renown. I also tend to forget things from time to time, but, though they may be few, I won't forget the times we met. I won't forget the circumstances and how urgently you needed a loan with terms you outlined and the promises you made. I do not wish to see your name and image being dragged for yet another time in the public domain so I will not release the photos of our first meeting at 'Island Vibe - 2017'.

It was my mistake to not record the meeting we had in Trinidad where you asked for more time due to your financial situation. My intuition told me that I was being played and strung along. Your recent statements in the press about not being broke confirmed that I was toyed with.

Your statements also revealed an apparent delay tactic that I fell for: "What would possess people to think that I spent all my money?...let them continue thinking that, they might just leave me alone then", you said.

I truly believed you were experiencing financial problems. That is why I exercised great compassion and patience with the time extensions. If you hadn't been evasive and disrespectful in your communications with me, I would have given you two years even to pay back the amount.

I will not release screenshots of our conversations where you pleaded for more time after missing deadlines set by your very own self. I will not show the conversations that were dismissive toward me and what I interpreted as bordering on contemptuous.

I loaned you the money in good faith because of the tremendous respect I have and still have for you and your legacy. I am a fan and supporter of your works great and small, and I believe in your vision for Tobago and culture. I had and still have no desire to bring your public image into disrepute. I did not wish to become embroiled in the predictable controversy that such a lawsuit would prompt. You, however, gave me no other choice by mockingly agreeing to legal recourse.

I am not hurt or stressed. I am not trying to be petty or cynical either. I hope we have both learned from our mistakes and that we make better decisions when it comes to our finances. Thank you again for not delaying in doing the right thing. Thank you to SC Anand Ramlogan and the team of lawyers at Freedom Law Chambers and thank you in advance to the public for being gentle people, acknowledging that we are human and we make mistakes from time to time.

If it means anything to you, I forgave you the instant you repaid what was owed. May we all recover peacefully from this event and start the healing process. I wish you success and victory in your future endeavors and I am always here to lend a helping hand. Jai ho!!!

Sincerly,
Neval Chatelal"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke’s secret to success for Rashford
« Reply #344 on: February 28, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »
Yorke’s secret to success for Rashford
By Mark Froggatt (manutd.com)

Dwight Yorke has revealed one of the secrets of his success at Manchester United was to regularly watch video highlights of his goals at home, in a bid to boost his form and self-belief.

That sounds hard to believe for a player who permanently had a smile on his face and appeared to ooze confidence, yet the Trinidad and Tobago legend regularly utilised the technique throughout his four seasons as a Red, in which he scored 66 goals in 152 appearances, winning six major trophies.

During a fascinating episode of 'Table Football', which is available to watch now on United’s YouTube channel, Yorke speaks insightfully about the approach and offers his personal advice for the club’s current no.19, Marcus Rashford.

“Strikers often say instinctive goals are better,” Dwight tells Marcus. “You just let it happen, let it rip and when it goes in it's magnificent. The instinct of being a centre-forward is important and that's the position I'm sure you’ll end up in. It all comes from the instinct of being in the position at the right time and anticipating the move. You seem to have the lot: I can see all of the types of goals you are scoring, which makes it even more impressive at this early stage of your career.

“There was one magnificent goal from outside the box for England, when I thought 'wow, we've got somebody here who can score goals and not just one type of goal'. It's good to have that range. We all recognise the no.9 who just gets tap-ins, but you've got all of it and now you've added free-kicks to your repertoire as well, it's even more impressive.

“This is still an early stage in your career and, if I was you, from past experiences, I would just have a collection of my goals and I’d keep reminding yourself of the things you can do, especially if you have a little period where you aren't scoring. Have a selection of goals and get a feelgood factor about yourself.

“Even if you go through a drought, which everyone goes through, just go back and watch those goals. It gives you that buzz and a massive buzz. It puts that smile back on your face.

“It makes you think 'damn I can do this stuff!' That is what I used to do and, trust me, it works. That would be my advice. Just go back, remind yourself and look at the goals that you've scored, from the tap-ins to the wonder strikes. I would put a collection of them together, just for your private use.”

In the same conversation with Yorke and another former Reds striker Danny Webber, Rashford identifies his 2016 FA Cup goal against West Ham at Upton Park as a personal favourite.

“I liked West Ham away, it was a good game,” Marcus explains.

“It was an instinctive goal. I prefer those ones when you are not thinking about it too much and you're just doing the action. The goal against [Manchester] City was a mad rush of blood. I would say for the quality of the goal, West Ham was better. But against City, the feeling you get is mad.”

Elsewhere in the strikers’ episode of 'Table Football', the trio of United forwards select their ideal strike partners from any era, choose between the two iconic Ronaldos of modern football, name the toughest opposition defenders they've faced and describe the best way to score a goal.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lTCP-FUYPho" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lTCP-FUYPho</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 01, 2018, 01:19:25 PM »
Dwight Yorke wants the Sunderland job and describes Chris Coleman's tenure as 'miserable failure'
By Sean McCormick (The Chronicle)

Former Sunderland star Dwight Yorke has thrown his hat in the ring to be considered for the club’s vacant managerial position.

The former Manchester United forward spent three seasons on Wearside as a player and recently applied for the role in November.

Wales boss Chris Coleman was preferred to the Trinidadian on that occasion but after the Black Cats were relegated to League One Coleman was relieved from his duties.

And Yorke didn’t hold back on Coleman’s tenure at the club, claiming he ‘failed miserably’ at the Stadium of Light, labelling their relegation as ‘unacceptable’.

“I have tried to get it before. I got a call back and it was like a courtesy call saying we got your CV but they went for Chris,” Yorke told Dubai Eye FM.

“I can’t knock the appointment of Chris because of what he had done with Wales but I still believe for all of the experience of what he has done, he had 25 games to turn that football club around.

“He failed miserably. For someone of his experience and knowhow and what he was supposed to bring to that football club, I know Chris and I like Chris, but that is a massive, massive disappointment not keeping Sunderland in the Championship.

“Getting relegated to Division One? That is unacceptable.

“Chris is a nice guy and I am sure he will get another job in England because everybody will vouch for him and say what a fantastic manager he is, but if that was me I wouldn’t get another job.”

The club is set to change ownership with a consortium led by former Eastleigh owner Stewart Donald taking the reins, subject to EFL approval.

The new owners are said to have their own manager in mind, but Yorke has thrown his hat into the ring.

The 46-year-old believes he has the ‘mentality’ and ‘philosophy’ to guide Sunderland back to the Championship and even said he would resign from the club if he failed to do so.

“It has been a merry-go-round for years and years now. Nobody is giving young managers a chance to come through,” Yorke added.

“I love that job. If I was to get that job in Division One and I don’t get them promoted I shouldn’t be at the football club.

“I think that is as fair as you can possibly be. I don’t want a four year contract or any of that business, I want to be rewarded for my achievements.

“I am prepared to take that risk, a risk I feel I can overcome. I just need to be given a chance to bring in the people around me to work with the football club.

“I am just concerned about getting the results for this football club to get it back into the Championship and advancing from there.

“But ultimately, if I was given that chance with that team with my mentality, my philosophy, I am sure I would get that football club back in the Championship - without a doubt.”

Former Sunderland manager Mick McCarthy, Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder, ex-Sunderland forward Kevin Phillips and Wigan gaffer Paul Cook currently lead the betting to be named new Black Cats boss.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 07, 2018, 08:01:28 AM »
Dwight, how yuh feel about Gerrard's new gig?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
When Dwight Yorke signed for Manchester United
« Reply #347 on: August 21, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »
When Dwight Yorke signed for Manchester United
By Adam Marshall (manutd.com)

As the transfer deadline loomed in the summer of 1998, Manchester United were running out of time to land another striker. Alex Ferguson, the knighthood would follow a year later, already had Andy Cole, Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on his books. But he wanted another type of centre-forward.

Patrick Kluivert was viewed as the top target for the Reds. The Dutchman had only been with AC Milan for a season but word was out he was on the market. Instead, he was reunited with a certain Louis van Gaal, his former Ajax boss, at Barcelona in a deal worth around £8.75 million. As ever, there was speculation that one of the aforementioned United forwards could be a makeweight in any bid for a new man.

”I do not want any cast-offs at this club,” retaliated Aston Villa boss John Gregory, when Dwight Yorke was earmarked by Ferguson. “If players are not good enough for Manchester United, then they are not good enough for Villa.” Indeed, Gregory had no intention of allowing the Trinidad & Tobago international to leave. Famously, his response to being told by his star man that he wanted to go was: “If I had a gun, I would have shot him.”

The comment made for back-page headlines and Villa were playing hardball. With good reason as Yorke was tied to a long-term contract – I remember speaking to him the day he signed it when working at ClubCall. It was in the days of car phones and it wasn’t easy to pin him down but, when I did, he seemed relaxed and chilled - just as he has been every time I've been lucky enough to work with him here at United.

So an impasse was reached, even if Yorke was desperate to join United. Pierre van Hooijdonk had caused controversy by effectively going on strike at Nottingham Forest as he agitated for a transfer but the Villa man was not keen to follow suit.

“It is very flattering when a club of United’s stature come out publicly and say they want you,” he stressed. “That doesn’t usually happen. I firmly believe it would be the right move for me and, maybe if I had taken the same approach as van Hooijdonk has with Forest, then I would have made it happen already. But that is not my style and it won’t ever be. I would have liked to have joined United in the summer. Chances like this only come along once and I had asked the boss and the Villa board for their understanding.”

He started the season with Villa, playing against Everton, and time was running out to conclude a deal. It would take a record fee of £12.6 million to convince the Midlanders to do business and many observers at the time felt it was a case of overpaying for somebody unproven at the top level in Europe. But Yorke had shown his potential and had the X-factor Ferguson was looking for. A bubbly character who would lift any dressing room, his work at Villa Park had not gone unnoticed.

I recall one live TV match against Newcastle United, when he scored a hat-trick in a 4-3 defeat, that showcased his striking ability and also a cheeky Panenka penalty past David Seaman, of all people. To put this moment of impudence into perspective, it sealed European football for his club at the end of the 1997/98 campaign and took some confidence.

A vital piece in the jigsaw had arrived at Old Trafford and would go on to enjoy the most amazing of debut seasons. And maybe that is why Dwight Yorke was the perfect fit for Ferguson’s Manchester United.

He always played with a smile on his face and did not seem affected by nerves or any pressure considering the price-tag on his head. With Cole, Sheringham and Solskjaer already at the club, he would have backed himself to get into the team and start repaying that fee.

The opinions in this story are personal to the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United Football Club.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 28, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »
The Rangers in Scotland appointment?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 28, 2018, 06:24:14 PM »

Yep!

Some guys have all the luck?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 28, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »

Yep!

Some guys have all the luck?
Have to start somewhere. Dwight was not taking that lol.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #351 on: September 26, 2018, 12:48:24 AM »
Yorke makes appearances at FIFA events in London.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

FORMER NATIONAL captain, striker and assistant coach Dwight Yorke spent the weekend in London, England rubbing shoulders and engaging in discussions with the best of the best at the FIFA Football Conference and Best FIFA Football awards.

Seventy days after the 2018 FIFA World Cup final, coaches and technical experts from nearly 200 member associations and all confederations gathered at the FIFA Football Conference in London to analyse the latest footballing trends and tactics showcased at this summer’s showpiece event in Russia.

Yorke was invited to be part of a FIFA panel for one of several forums at the mega event. Also featuring were the likes of Dennis Lawrence, current TT coach and Yorke’s former teammate, and ex-TT assistant coach Sol Campbell.

For the first time, coaches and technical experts of all member associations were invited to gather at a single post-FIFA World Cup football conference to analyse and discuss key learnings and experiences from this summer’s FIFA World Cup.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said: “For the first time, the national team coaches and technical directors from nearly 200 member associations gathered in one room and I can only be honoured about it, as FIFA president and as football fan. This event fully reflects our philosophy of placing football and key representatives from across the game – including players, coaches and technical experts – at the heart of our activities.”

During the conference, the head of FIFA’s Technical Study Group (TSG) and coaching legend, Carlos Alberto Parreira, along with FIFA’s Chief Technical Development Officer Marco van Basten shared their insights across four key areas, including a comparative goal analysis from the 2010, 2014 and 2018 editions of the FIFA World Cup, set plays, an analysis on some of the four FIFA World Cup semi-finalist teams and the role of the playmaker at the FIFA World Cup. The full TSG report on the 2018 FIFA World Cup is due to be published on October 16.

France’s path to FIFA World Cup glory also took centrestage during the live interview with Les Bleus coach Didier Deschamps. Yorke is currently a member of FIFA’s development committee.

“The days spent in London for the conference was full of in-debt analysis of everything that took place at the World Cup in Russia and a lot of detailed discussion. A lot of us got some time to catch up because as you know, the football family is a so massive and there is always so much happening. I thought it was a great event by FIFA to have all the coaches from the different countries gather in one location. There was a wealth of knowledge, experience and top personalities all together for a couple days which could only serve the game well,” Yorke said.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 14, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »
WATCH: Former Captain, Dwight Yorke, calls for a serious reassessment of local football

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dzhlkAwaRms" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dzhlkAwaRms</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 15, 2018, 05:49:23 AM »
Something is not right: Dwight Yorke addresses the state of local football
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

FORMER NATIONAL football team striker and captain Dwight Yorke has called for greater passion to be shown by all parties involved, particularly players, in TT football.

Yorke made this comment during an interview,on Tuesday evening, at One Woodbrook Place, Woodbrook, where he was part of the launch of a three-year-long partnership between his former club Manchester United and Chivas Regal.

The 47-year-old Yorke, responding to a question about the lack of notable players, over the past five to ten years, at the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL), said, “We had to work extremely hard as individuals (and) as a team to earn the right to be called a Russell Latapy or a Shaka Hislop. That didn’t come easy.”

He continued, “I haven’t really been involved in Trinidad and Tobago football so it’s very difficult to pass judgement on those circumstances. What I do know is that we haven’t been able to produce. We had a period of time when we had Kenwyne Jones, Stern John, Russell Latapy, Dwight Yorke playing in all these wonderful leagues. What have we got now? That, in itself, sends a clear message that something is not right.

“Whether the structure is right from the colleges league, which used to be a big thing, and then the transition to the national team or Under-20s, they need to look at that. The people who are running the football need to seriously consider that.”

The former Aston Villa, Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers, Birmingham City, Sydney FC and Sunderland player stressed, “You need to show passion in what you’re doing. The passion is no longer there. Where is the love of the game gone? We used to love the game that we play, and then everything else comes with it. Whether it’s the opposite now that people are attracted to other things and not prepared to put the work in, I don’t know.”

From 1989-2009, Yorke made 74 international appearances and netted 19 goals. He also had a brief time as an assistant coach, under Latapy, in 2009.

Asked about his view on the current state of TT football, Yorke, who was dubbed as “The Smiling Assassin” during his playing days, replied, “It’s there for everyone to see. It’s not been a smooth transition, it’s been a very difficult one.

“We’ve got involved with the professional league that hasn’t been worked out the way everyone expected it to work out. You just look at the results that we have provided at the moment, it’s not great. The qualification (at all levels) has been a struggle.”

Yorke called on the stakeholders of local football to “step back, look at things and try to go in a different direction, and try to get the important thing which is the support from the Government and the Ministry of Sport. I think that is very vital.”

He commented, “Of course, with the sponsorship, people always say money is essential but equally, performance brings money. So, there is a combination.”

Yorke said, “Since 2006, maybe the best time in Trinidad and Tobago football, we haven’t been able to relive those moments. Latapy has been able to produce us to a level where we were (close) to qualifying for the (second round) of the Under-20s. The senior team, what we have achieved under Dennis (Lawrence), he’s fighting and trying his hardest, but there is been no major progress.”

Asked if he’s willing to help TT football from an administrative level, Yorke responded, “I’m not really one to say no. If you ask me, the first thing I’ll give you is my opinion. I feel that I’ve earned the right in football. I’ve been out there, seeing what it takes to be top of my profession and I’ve worked now behind the (administrative) side of thing to see what’s going on.”

But he admitted, “The truth is I’ve never been asked.”

Finally, Yorke was asked about his take on the VAR (Video Assistant Referees) system.

“I think VAR is a good thing,” he said. “It (has) its challenges, they haven’t gotten it to perfection yet but, I feel it is a good thing.

“We see some big calls being made, some mistakes being made. For me, it’s a way forward. Football is a billion-dollar industry and teams can lose their status by wrong decisions. I’m all for it. I feel with time given and the improvement of technology, I’ll be happy for VAR.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #354 on: February 27, 2019, 02:59:43 AM »
Jose Mourinho: The inside story of how his Man United tenure unravelled
By Rob Dawson - Manchester United correspondent

Jose Mourinho's reign began to unravel in earnest over the summer, but an atmosphere of fear and paranoia had already set in long before. Such was the shadow he cast over Manchester United that it began to affect even the most innocuous of matters, even those far from the pitch.

When a member of his backroom unknowingly agreed to a blind date with a media personality, the meeting was swiftly moved from Manchester city centre to a rural Cheshire pub out of fear they would be spotted and Mourinho would find out. When the United employee sat down, his conversation starter was: "I could be sacked for being here."

There was no second date.

In the end, the appointment of Mourinho, one that looked certain to rescue United from the post-Fergie doldrums in May 2016, gradually became so toxic that Ed Woodward and the Glazers were forced to act.

The tension over transfers

In May, Dwight Yorke gave an interview suggesting United would have won the Premier League title with Pep Guardiola in charge. On reading his comments, Mourinho tried to get Yorke removed from his role as club ambassador. The club declined.

It was far from the only disagreement between club bosses and their manager, with the most bruising confrontations being fought over transfers.

Mourinho believed his team over-performed to finish second last season and stressed the importance of increased investment over the summer. He informed Woodward and the recruitment department of the positions he believed needed strengthening and the club's scouts, video analysts and data experts worked on narrowing down the list of targets. But in meetings, usually over Skype, Mourinho is said to have frustrated other members of the staff by demanding players never previously mentioned.

Even in July, and having spent £50 million on Brazilian midfielder Fred, his assessment was that it would be a "difficult" season. It would get worse as the club continued to struggle in signing a central defender. Dismayed at the price quoted by Leicester City for Harry Maguire, Mourinho questioned why none of United's 52 scouts had noticed him playing well for Hull City just a year earlier.

But it wasn't just transfer spending that caused conflict. At one point during the club's preseason U.S. tour, Mourinho pulled English journalists out of a news conference to explain why he would be happy for Anthony Martial -- who had let it be known he'd been unsettled by Alexis Sanchez's arrival in January -- to be sold just days after the club has insisted privately the Frenchman was not for sale.

Already at this time, the hierarchy and Mourinho were no longer on the same page and for the players it became more and more difficult to escape the cloud of negativity.

For their part, United have been quick to stress that Mourinho has been supported in the transfer market to the tune of £400m spent on 11 players -- all, according to sources close to the club, Mourinho's choices. Mourinho, meanwhile, has argued consistently that United have failed to keep up with the "financial and strategic" support offered to his key rivals at Liverpool and Manchester City.

In particular, Woodward was forced to tell Mourinho they would not push the boat out to sign Jerome Boateng from Bayern Munich because of fears over his injury record. It was pointed out that the last two players Bayern had moved on to Old Trafford, Owen Hargreaves and Bastian Schweinsteiger, had not proved to be value for money. As it became apparent to Mourinho he would not get the new centre-back he wanted during the transfer window, he was overheard on the phone in the lobby of the team hotel in Miami during the preseason tour of the United States saying "everything is s---."

It summed up his mood throughout the entire trip that began the tailspin toward the sack.

A "high maintenance" employee

Mourinho oversaw United's worst start to a season in nearly 30 years, but it wasn't just results that had made his position untenable by the end -- it was also his attitude toward colleagues and his squad.

Offered the chance to talk up Paul Pogba after he won the World Cup at his first news conference at UCLA, the 55-year-old declined, instead choosing to say the midfielder must "understand" why his form had improved in Russia. Asked at the same news conference whether he believed his team were capable of challenging Manchester City for the title, he refused to answer.

Even from the start of his time at the club, there was always a nagging feeling that Mourinho didn't want to be there. United was meant to be his dream job but the cool, charismatic coach who showed up at Chelsea in 2004 was not the man who arrived at Old Trafford in 2016.

At his first meeting with journalists as United boss in a Shanghai hotel room, United's press officer told the group of 10 reporters he did not have much time before training.

"We are finished?" Mourinho said as he got up to leave. He had not yet fielded a question and it was assumed he was joking. He wasn't, and the laughter in the room quickly turned to confusion. Mourinho had to be ushered to re-take his seat.

One television reporter took a different approach to his first interview with the new manager in the summer of 2016. A family member had recently played Mourinho's body double in an advert and the journalist thought mentioning the coincidence would be a good ice breaker. It wasn't; the story didn't even prompt Mourinho to look up from his phone.

The interview was short and frosty, just like so many of his appearances in front of the cameras. In one sit-down with Sky Sports, he even sat with his phone on his knee to make sure it didn't extend beyond the agreed 10 minutes.

Mourinho cut an isolated figure in Manchester and was often spotted sitting alone in the restaurant at the Lowry Hotel in Salford, his home in the city for two-and-a-half years. It was fitting that his last act at the Lowry on Tuesday afternoon was to have lunch, spending most of his time on his phone.

Right from the start Mourinho would make regular trips back to London by train to see his family but wanted it known he was still committed to the job. During his first season he made sure a story was leaked to local newspaper the Manchester Evening News that despite spending time in the capital, he had not missed a single training session at Carrington.

However, much to his annoyance he wasn't in control of everything that seeped out.

After deciding to spring a surprise with his team selection for the derby against Manchester City in December 2017 by picking Romelu Lukaku, Marcus Rashford and Martial, he was furious to discover the team had leaked on social media 24 hours before kick-off. United lost 2-1 and Mourinho was convinced that one of the reasons was that Guardiola had got wind of his plan. Mourinho demanded staff discover the source of the leak -- the member of staff on the blind date even quizzed his companion about the subject -- but it remained elusive.

As recently as the 2-2 draw with Chelsea in October, his teams were still being published on Twitter the day before the game, often sending Mourinho into a rage before a ball had been kicked.

There were plenty of light moments with players, staff and fans -- he watched part of a reserve team game with disabled fans in September, and would often be seen joking with players in favour along with former assistant Rui Faria -- but club employees routinely found him difficult to deal with, privately commenting he was "high maintenance."

Ahead of the FA Cup semifinal against Tottenham in April, he refused to choose between two hotel options, the Wembley Hilton and The Landmark in Marylebone. He was told both had pros and cons, which were spelled out to him. He shrugged his shoulders, told staff to choose but was unhappy once in the Hilton because his favourite meeting room was being used by Microsoft.

According to sources, United even tried to accommodate Mourinho whenever they could and cancelled a series of sponsor events ahead of the Europa League final in Stockholm at his request despite spending thousands of pounds to fly a number of high-profile executives and their guests to Sweden.

These issues weren't just related to members of staff. Mourinho's most high-profile feud at United was with record signing Pogba, stripped of the vice captaincy in September, but at different times during his reign the squad had been puzzled by his treatment of Luke Shaw and Martial. Telling a news conference that Shaw had used "his body with my brain" after a positive performance in his first game in four months caused particular bewilderment within an unhappy dressing room.

Mourinho just didn't fit

As well as disappointing results, a poor record in the transfer market and a style of football that failed to excite supporters, there was an overriding feeling that by the end Mourinho thought he was bigger than the club and his tenure had to end. By September, and despite agreeing a contract extension with Mourinho in January following his public flirtation with Paris Saint-Germain, the club were refusing to offer any cast-iron guarantees about his future.

Speculation linking Zinedine Zidane to Old Trafford -- most of which generated in Spain -- was knocked down after the dismal 3-1 defeat at West Ham, but questions about Mourinho in general were treated with more open-ended answers. Without the concrete backing Mourinho wanted, his agent, Jorge Mendes, was forced to step in by releasing a rare statement insisting that everything was fine.

It was telling that following Mourinho's sacking on Tuesday morning, sources close to the club made it clear that both the caretaker manager and the next permanent boss would be leaders who could unite the players behind them and re-connect supporters to the club.

Sources told ESPN FC that the players were "shocked" when they were informed of the decision by Woodward at Carrington on Tuesday morning but that the general feeling was one of "relief."

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 28, 2019, 04:41:21 AM »
He really has regressed as a manager since Chelsea... Almost depressing to watch

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 28, 2019, 09:03:52 AM »
He really has regressed as a manager since Chelsea... Almost depressing to watch

Just had a chat about JM with a former youth player from Vitória Setúbal (now ~ 50). Setúbal is Mou's hometown. The person is from Setúbal also.  He ranted about what he respected about JM as a tactician. Had even more to say about him as a person ("He's changed. I don't like what he has become as a person.")

This is not someone who has worked with JM but someone who follows the game. (I forgot to ask him how he would regard JM taking over Portugal's NT).

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 28, 2019, 09:39:47 AM »
:rotfl:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 30, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »
So Yorke ex-teammate is Man U manager. If Yorke still want to manage why he doh go and help a small club? With his profile I sure he could get something but yuh hadda start small.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Treble Icons: Dwight Yorke
« Reply #359 on: May 22, 2019, 02:11:45 PM »
Treble Icons: Dwight Yorke
By Adam Higgins (manutd.com)

Few Manchester United players can claim to have enjoyed a debut season quite like Dwight Yorke, who had a huge impact during the iconic 1998/99 campaign following his arrival from Aston Villa.

The former Trinidad and Tobago international will be back at Old Trafford on Sunday for the Treble Reunion match, which will raise vital funds for the Manchester United Foundation to support children in the local area.

Tickets are still available to buy.

LET’S HEAR FROM THE MAN HIMSELF

“When I embarked on my journey to play football, I knew I was going to do something but I didn’t think it was going to be as big as this [winning the Treble]. This [Treble Reunion] match will bring back the memories of a lifetime. A unique bunch of players will be able to celebrate probably the greatest achievement in the history of Manchester United Football Club.”

THE STORY OF YORKE IN 1998/99

Alex Ferguson secured the services of Yorke from top-flight rivals Aston Villa as the transfer deadline loomed in August 1998 and, in doing so, recruited a vital piece in the jigsaw. With Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham already on the books, there was fierce competition in the striking department but Yorkie would go on to enjoy a magnificent debut campaign.

He was a key player in our unprecedented Treble success, ending the campaign with 29 goals in all competitions. Forming a hugely effective partnership with Coley, the no.19 introduced himself to Old Trafford with a brace on his home debut against Charlton and went on to net 18 times in the Premier League to earn the division’s Player of the Season award as its leading scorer. His outstanding efforts also earned him a place in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year.

Yorkie was also the joint-top scorer in the Champions League, netting seven crucial goals during our journey to glory at the Nou Camp. He contributed four during the group stage – including a brace in the thrilling 3-3 draw away at Barcelona. The frontman also notched a double in the 2-0 win over Inter Milan in the quarter-final first leg at Old Trafford before coming up with a crucial goal in the 3-2 win at Juventus in the semi-final second leg.

DWIGHT’S OUTSTANDING MOMENT

There were many individual moments of brilliance to choose from, but we have gone for Yorkie’s brilliant brace against Chelsea in the FA Cup quarter-final replay. After the original tie finished goalless at Old Trafford, the striker sealed a memorable 2-0 victory at Stamford Bridge with a close-range finish early on and sumptuous finish from outside the box in the second half.

EXPERT INSIGHT AND OPINION

His former strike partner Andy Cole:
“When we started playing together, it was like meeting a special woman and falling in love. Everything felt right, we never had a cross word.”

Former United captain and team-mate Roy Keane:
“Dwight Yorke had a big personality in the dressing room.”

Former United boss Sir Alex Ferguson:
“Dwight Yorke gave an immediate response. He was fantastic from day one. It normally takes some time, particularly if they come from abroad to settle in, but he was an exception.”

WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE TREBLE SEASON?

Dwight played his part in helping the Reds retain the Premier League trophy in 1999/2000, contributing 22 goals in all competitions. But limited appearances in the two subsequent seasons led to his departure in 2002 to Blackburn Rovers, where he rejoined his old United strike partner Andy Cole.

After two years at Ewood Park, he had one season at his former club Aston Villa’s fierce rivals Birmingham City before moving to Australia to spend a year with Sydney FC in the A-League. In the summer of 2006, Yorke moved back to England to sign for Sunderland, who were managed by his former United team-mate Roy Keane, where he spent three seasons before announcing his retirement in September 2009.

He then spent a period as assistant manager of the Trinidad and Tobago national team, before becoming a television pundit and later a club ambassador at United.

A LEGENDARY ILLUSTRATION

Thanks to United fan and Old Trafford season-ticket holder Stanley Chow for his portrait of Dwight Yorke. To see more of his ‘Treble Winners’ collection, visit www.thestanleychowprintshop.com.

1]; } ?>