March 28, 2024, 06:13:41 PM

Author Topic: Beenhakker: In Football 2+2 is not always 4  (Read 9098 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Beenhakker: In Football 2+2 is not always 4
« on: March 18, 2006, 12:00:01 PM »
Beenhakker: "In Football 2+2 is not always 4"
By: Alexander Laux (Hamburger Abendblatt).

Rotenburg - Worldwide journeyman: Leo Beenhakker coaches World Cup side T&T. The Caribbean country is especially fired-up for the match versus England.

Abendblatt: Mr. Beenhakker, your team is considered a rank outsider...

Beenhakker:[/color] ... We certainly aren't the favorite for the title. But we should also be respected. 196 countries wanted to get to the World Cup, and we belong to the group of 32. My players have the same ambitions and dreams as all the others: To execute good matches and to be successful. Besides: I am able to field predominantly professional players from England and Scottland.

Abendblatt: In your group you face Sweden, England, and Paraguay. What would you consider a success?

Beenhakker:[/color] Our dream is to surprise these opponents. In football two and two don't always add up to four. Sometimes five. No one can be sure, not even the big sides. In football you always have a chance. It's that simple.

Abendblatt: What would a point against England unleash in the former British colony?

Beenhakker:[/color] The general concensus in Trinidad is: It doesn't matter what else we do, the main thing is to beat England. After our qualification we had three months of carnival. If we don't lose against England we would well have carnival for a whole year.

Abendblatt: Is your squad set? Lately you have been doing a lot of tests.

Beenhakker:[/color] Potentially we may add four, five new players. The phenomena after our qualification was, that we got a lot of mail from players who had a grandmother in Trinidad.

Abendblatt: Theoretically, you could meet Germany in the group of 16. As with Holland in 1990...

Beenhakker:[/color] ...yeah, I've already spoken to Jürgen about that.

Abendblatt: Do you still remember the World Cup of 1990?

Beenhakker:[/color] No. Yes, of course I remember. I was coaching at Amsterdam, and took over three weeks before the tournament. But it brought no joy. It was a good lesson for me how not to play in the World Cup.

Adendblatt: Is working with Trinidad now different?

Beenhakker:[/color] The difference is not that great. It's football! The pressure may be great on the favorites, but that is a superficial difference. Within the teams everything it's always the same: every player wants to profile himself, wants to be a star, wants to win.

Abendblatt: Trinidad stuttered its way through qualification. What did you change once you arrived?

Beenhakker: In general the problem in the "small" countries is playing football together [as a team]. So we attempted to establish a discipline, an organization, and coordination amongst the players. Also we changed the offensive philosophy. Everyone wanted to attack enthusiastically.

Abendblatt: What excites you personally about coaching an "underdog"?

Beenhakker:[/color] I've heard this question a lot. It has never been my motivation in the past 40 years, to only work with big sides. My life, my love is football. If I train a U-17 selection tomorrow, I will be happy. It is always the task to create a team out of a cadre of 20 people with different personalities and abilities.

Abendblatt: How long do you want to coach in Trinidad?

Beenhakker:[/color] As long as I have fun doing it. That's the thing. I don't tell myself that I should quit at a certain age.

Abendblatt: Why are there so many Dutch coaches in the World Cup?

Beenhakker:[/color] Because we're good! Seriously, we are proud that there are about 80 Dutch coaches working around the world today. Maybe it has something to do with our philosophy. We always want to play football proactively, to take initiative, and have the match in hand, in combination with organization and discipline. Exemplary was how Guus Hiddink created a first class team out of South Korea in 2002.

Abendblatt: Who are your favorites for 2006?

Beenhakker:[/color] From a talent standpoint, Brasil. England has an outside chance. And Germany, naturally. I don't know what's going on there at the moment. I now heard that Ms. Merkel [German chancellor] is going to choose the squad. That's not bad. If she does that well she could help me, too. ... But really, Germany has very good players.

Abendblatt: You are an experienced coach. Germany is trying it with a rookie. Is that a big risk?

Beenhakker:[/color] Van Basten was a also a novice, but he played a superior qualification. It's not only about Klinsmann. The whole country is a little nervous. The most important thing is that first game. If they can handle the pressure and win, they will be a major candidate for the title. I'm sure of that.

Abendblatt: Do you commute between Europe and the Caribbean?

Beenhakker:[/color] No, I live and work in Trinidad. But I know what you're getting at. The German federation acknowledged the fact that Klinsmann would travel between California and Germany to begin with. So what's the problem? If he had beaten Italy 4 to1, no one would be talking. That's how opportunistic football is. Everything is oriented around the last result. One should look beyond that.

(translation: e-man, original German here)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 03:54:14 PM by e-man »

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Beenie interview: Hamburger AbendBlatt
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 12:07:01 PM »
nice nice                       thank god we fired bertille  nuff sed lol

live in tnt? hmmm   (isn't he in holland?)    ;D

TrinInfinite

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 12:10:36 PM »
nice nice thank god we fired bertille nuff sed lol

live in tnt? hmmm (isn't he in holland?) ;D

dats a very immature comment to make small man, bertille served his purpose, u should neva spit on ur own people, he did well for us wit wat he had, no need tuh lash out at de man

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 12:13:54 PM »
If we don't lose against England we would well have carnival for a whole year.

hedging yuh bets dey man Beenie

Beenhakker: From a talent standpoint, Brasil. England has an outside chance.

what yuh really think beenie tink going and happen at the world cup?

ah find he coulda call holland name too man.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 12:17:50 PM »
i think holland can beat england, ah think england is being higly overrated for the world cup, when dey not dat special atall, take away rooney and england hopes and dreams gone

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 12:23:19 PM »
doh dig no horrors SM, is a mistake any of us coulda make....very good and responsible statement TI...we need to show all the love in the world to Bertille from bringing us to the final stage (cuz many bigger names failed in the past to do even that).

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 12:28:21 PM »
If we don't lose against England we would well have carnival for a whole year.

hedging yuh bets dey man Beenie

Beenhakker: From a talent standpoint, Brasil. England has an outside chance.

what yuh really think beenie tink going and happen at the world cup?

ah find he coulda call holland name too man.

He did big up van Basten's effort as first time national coach.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 01:06:12 PM »
bsc is ah good coach man.i also feel he gave de job 100%.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 01:16:02 PM »
sorry fellaz..... is just i thought that he was the worst possible man fuh d job  buh he tried but clearly his methods were terrible

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 01:45:06 PM »
Nice interview ....... the man talking bout carnival and saying WE. Nice
 :beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline dotless007

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 01:56:12 PM »
good interview. is beenie livin intrinidad though?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 02:03:15 PM »
Beenie LIVING in Hotel Rooms till WC dun
yeah.villa capri and copacabana.lol.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline bill

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 02:11:42 PM »
Beenhakker: Potentially we may add four, five new players. The phenomena after our qualification was, that we got a lot of mail from players who had a grandmother in Trinidad.

Whats this about??.. I thought he was done looking??

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Beenhakker: In Football 2+2 is not always 4
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 03:16:21 PM »
Brilliant, just brilliant!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 03:29:27 PM »
sorry fellaz..... is just i thought that he was the worst possible man fuh d job  buh he tried but clearly his methods were terrible

He was good enough to carry us through to the HEX(barely) but not any further.

I actually think he brought back a level of discipline back into the team that was lacking for a real long time.
He wasn't able but at least the players on the squad play hard for him....let sleeping dogs lie.

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 03:47:30 PM »
 :applause:
nice interview

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 04:22:24 PM »
Anybody know if nuts man Jumbo and the man who does blow de conch going Germany ?
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006, 04:56:21 PM »
nice nice                       thank god we fired bertille  nuff sed lol

at lot of times i have issues with small mag language, usually when he talking to RF  ;) but me aint see nothing wrong with this statement.
we all know had Jack not stepped in and replaced Bertille we would not be going to Germany.
I know them Bago boys on the forum aint go like the statement though, they dont like when people talk bout bout Coach.

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2006, 05:42:03 PM »
Thanks eman... nice read

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
No team is safe against another.
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 06:50:33 PM »
This is nearly the same interview as above, but has more story and a few other quotes:

No team is safe against another.
by Stephan Jeschke (Rotenburger Rundschau)

Leo Beenhakker, coach of World Cup participant Trinidad & Tobago: "In football 2+2 is not always 4"

He received his accolades when he coached "the royal ones" from Real Madrid from 1986 to 1989, earning the Spanish title three times in a row and in 1989 won the European Cup title as well.  As national coach he was knocked out with his Dutch team against Germany in the group of 16 at the 1990 World Cup in Italy. In Germany this summer Leo Beenhakker will be coach for a second time for a national team at the championship. Ecstatically, the people of Trinidad & Tobago celebrated the 1:0 win over Bahrain at the end of last year, which meant qualification. After Cuba (1938), Haiti (1974) and Jaimaica (1998) it has only been the forth time that a Caribbean state was able to qualify for the World Cup.

It didn't look that way when the 63 year old Dutchman took over the football regiment from the two island state off the Venezuelan coast in the spring of 2005. At that time merely a single point had been booked after three games. How did Beenhakker manage to get his team back on the road to success? "The problem in a small country like Trinidad & Tobago is not that each footballer is not a good player on their own.  The more difficult thing is to bring out the cohesiveness, the discipline and the coordination to play as single team.  For each indivudual to know what his task is as well as the task of the one playing in front, behind and next to him."

On paper Trinidad & Tobago probably has the weakest squad of the 32 World Cup participants.  The team is predominantly made up of players from the second and third leagues in England and Scotland.  The only two stars: On one hand the already 34 year old ex-striker from ManU, Dwight Yorke, that currently plays for FC Sydney coached by Pierre Littbarski. On the other hand, Stern John, five years younger, who earns his keep at Coventry City and who with 64 goals in 91 internationals belongs to the top goal scorers in the world.

With all due respect to reality, Beenhakker does not want to constrain his team offhandedly to the role of rank outsiders. "196 teams tried to get to Germany. And we are one of the 32 countries that made it. It's always the same: The players want to be stars and to win in such a tournament. So it makes no difference if you are coach of a small or large nation." The latter always being under pressure, while the underdogs don't have anything to lose and are able to hope for a surprise. "We have the right to want the same thing as all the other teams. No one is safe against another and in football two and two is not always four," explains Beenhakker with the experience of 40 years of coaching. He would, however, be disappointed to leave Germany without a single point. "It is my desire to beat one of the big teams."

Where does the Dutchman get his confidence? "It is nice to see when the players are together two or three days before a qualification match and kept improving. Imagine what will happen when we are together for four weeks straight!"

In the opening round the team will meet Paraguay, Sweden and England. The island-footballers have hardly any experience with European football. Before the recent 2:0 victory against Iceland they had only faced Northern Ireland in the last 50 games. The result: 0:3 - and that "even though the game was more like a break in the Northirish's Caribbean pub crawl," as someone from the capital, Port-of-Spain, comments in hindsight.

But that was in 2004 and thus before Beenhakkers time. Before Trinidad & Tobago take up their training quarters in Rotenburg on the 4th of June, they will face the Czech Republic in Prague. Other tests are Peru on May 10 followed by Wales and Slovenia.

Beenhakker didn't have to deliberate long to take the job in Trinidad & Tobago. "My life and love was and is football. And if were to train a youth team tomorrow: It is always about taking eleven players - each with their own character, their own personality - and bringing them together to work successfully."

Beenhakkers compatriot Guus Hiddink succeeded in bringing South Korea to the semifinal in 2002 - although as host nation with home advantage, but still completely surprising the experts. Hiddink is also back in Germany this time as coach of the Australian national team, that is at the world cup for the first time in 32 years.

Along with Beenhakker, Hiddink, Dick Advocaat (South Korea) and Marco van Basten (Netherlands) there will be four Dutchmen standing on the edge of the pitch as coaches of participating nations. Armenia, Estonia, Aruba and Gambia did not qualify but are also coached by the Dutch. Another 93 are abroad busy as co- or youth coaches. Or as coaches of club teams. The best known: Frank Rijkaard (FC Barcelona) and Ronald Koemann (Benefica Lisbon). Leo Beenhakker has an explanation for why the "Orange" are sought after so conspicuously world wide. He makes the same point as Jan Reeker, director of the Dutch professional coaches association, who sees the circumstance as based on the fact that Holland was once a seafaring nation. "Wherever we go we accept what life brings us, quickly become accustomed to the culture and learn the local language." And they are used to improvising, because with the exception of a few teams like Ajax, Feyenoord Rotterdam or PSV Eindhoven, the clubs of the Dutch premiere league are rather financially underpriveledged. The coaches are forced to make the best of the situation and optimize with the players and means at their disposal.

A look at the neighboring country: When asked by a journalist how to help German football, he retorted with a counter question if he had an hour free for the answer. Next to Brasil ("unbelievable players") and England, the German selection is one of his favorites for the title. ("Every time when a tournament takes place the Germans are diffucult opponents").

Beenhakker doesn't believe the current discussion over the controversy surrounding Jürgen Klinsmann is worth shouting from the roof tops. "Why is it a problem that he has his residence in California? When he was contracted by the DFB they agreed to those terms. If Klinsmann has beaten Italy 4-1, nothing would be wrong. Football is opportunistic like that."

How does Beenhakker view the World Cup as Dutchman, 32 years after the 1:2 loss in the final versus Germany, still felt traumatically by his countrymen? Beenhakker waves the question aside: "Oh, in the meantime I've fought so many matches against Germans and honestly congratulated them after winning. This topic is really done. Enough already."

(translation e-man. aleman original aqui)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 08:10:17 PM by e-man »

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2006, 07:50:44 PM »
Beenhakker: "In Football 2+2 is not always 4"
By: Alexander Laux (Hamburger Abendblatt).

Beenhakker:[/color] The general concensus in Trinidad is: It doesn't matter what else we do, the main thing is to beat England. After our qualification we had three months of carnival. If we don't lose against England we would well have carnival for a whole year.
Nice! ;D
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2006, 09:40:39 PM »
Thanks e-man, good articles there

I didn't know Beenie living in T&T

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 06:35:04 AM »
i believe comments about corneal's appointment have been raised b4 now it make sense to hire him so that when   beenie leaves there can be some level of continuity as i was assuming he was leaving after the world cup but.............

Abendblatt: How long do you want to coach in Trinidad?

Beenhakker: As long as I have fun doing it. That's the thing. I don't tell myself that I should quit at a certain age.

this puts a new spin on things was that just a political correct answer
cause if we could keep bennie 4 atleast 2 more years with the talent that i know we can  produce and his rep
we would b  a fix on the international scene and a force to reckon with
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2006, 08:03:15 AM »
Trini ifinite i have questions for you was bertile exposed to teh same team as bennie di? and if bertile was coaching the team and not fired then do you think that we would be where we at today?  ??? ::)
All American

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2006, 08:40:36 AM »
great interview dere

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 09:59:46 PM »
Coolio, my translation made it into the Express. Most likely thanks to Flex for posting it in the news section.  ;D ;D

Prost!  :beermug:  :beermug:

Beenhakker hypes Warriors' World Cup chances
(Express)

Wednesday, March 22nd 2006

Trinidad and Tobago captain Dwight Yorke is tackled by Darren Fletcher as he trains with English Premiership club Manchester United in Manchester, England last weekend. Looking on are Wales and United veteran Ryan Giggs, left, and England winger Kieren Richardson. Since leading Sydney FC to the inaugural Australian A-League title earlier this month, Yorke has been training with his former club to keep fit for T&Ts participation in the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany in June.

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Leo Beenhakker says his team's chances at the World Cup in June will be as good as any other team in the competition.

"We certainly aren't the favourite for the title. But we should also be respected...196 countries wanted to get to the World Cup, and we belong to the group of 32," the Dutch national said in a recent interview.

"My players have the same ambitions and dreams as all the others-to execute good matches and to be successful. Besides, I am able to field predominantly professional players from England and Scotland."

T&T became the second English-speaking Caribbean team to qualify for the World Cup in Germany when they beat Bahrain in a home-and-away playoff last November.

In the subsequent World Cup draw in December, T&T were grouped with Sweden, Paraguay and England in Group B.

Beenhakker said despite the quality of T&T's opponents, his team would be looking to cause a few upsets, especially against England.

"Our dream is to surprise these opponents. In football, two and two don't always add up to four. Sometimes, five," Beenhakker quipped.

"No one can be sure, not even the big sides. In football you always have a chance. It's that simple."

He added: "The general consensus in Trinidad is: it doesn't matter what else we do, the main thing is to beat England. After our qualification we had three months of Carnival. If we don't lose against England we would well have Carnival for a whole year."

Beenhakker arrived to coach T&T after the team seemed in danger of missing out on the World Cup when they went without a win in their first three matches of the CONCACAF qualifying final round last March.

The team then proceeded to win their next match against Panama and also went on to upset giants Mexico in their final match.

"In general, the problem in the 'small' countries is playing football together [as a team]," Beenhakker explained.

"So we attempted to establish a discipline, an organisation, and coordination amongst the players. Also we changed the offensive philosophy. Everyone wanted to attack enthusiastically."

Beenhakker, who has coached the likes of Dutch giants Ajax Amsterdam and Spanish powerhouse Real Madrid, said there was not much difference in coaching a small country like T&T.

"The difference is not that great. It's football. The pressure may be great on the favourites, but that is a superficial difference," Beenhakker noted.

"Within the teams, everything is always the same: every player wants to profile himself, wants to be a star, wants to win."

The World Cup kicks off on June 9.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 12:02:19 AM by E-man »

1]; } ?>