March 28, 2024, 11:41:06 AM

Author Topic: Ames wins tournament  (Read 11101 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Ames wins tournament
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2006, 09:46:36 PM »
As long as everyone  keeps tying  the man back to Trinidad, ah very good with that. So  skeptics read this and feel proud for ah Trini nah:

Calgarian sharpshooter ( yuh know the Canadian press have tuh get  they props)

Ames makes Sawgrass look easy
By DOUG FERGUSON

Canadian Stephen Ames reacts after hitting an eagle putt on the 16th green Sunday March 26, 2006, during the final round of the The Players Championship golf tournament in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. Ames finished 14 under par for the tourament win. (AP Photo/Stephen Morton)
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - An embarrassing loss to Tiger Woods is in the past. A trip to the Masters might not be in his future.

All that mattered to Calgary's Stephen Ames was playing the best round of his life to overwhelm the best players in golf Sunday in The Players Championship.

A month after making fun of Woods, Ames won like him.

He hit impeccable iron shots to build a big lead on the treacherous TPC at Sawgrass, then let everyone collapse in a series of wrecks around him. When he had fired at his last flag, Ames had a 5-under 67 - the best round of a demanding final round - and won by six shots over two-time U.S. Open champion Retief Goosen.

"This is big," Ames said. "This is characterized as the fifth major. I beat the top players in the world."

He finished at 14-under 274, earned $1.44 million US from the richest purse on the PGA Tour, and earned an unlikely trip to the Masters in two weeks.

Whether he goes remains to be seen.

Ames' wife, Jodi, is recovering from lung cancer. His sons, ages nine and six, are starting their two-week spring break and Ames has a vacation planned in Trinidad, the country where he was born.

"I had no plans of playing at Augusta," he said. "My priorities have always been family first. If it comes down to that, it's probably going to be a two-week vacation. . . . I'd rather go on vacation, to be truthful."
The way he played on a sun-baked afternoon on Sawgrass, he might be a force at the Masters.

It was the second-toughest Sunday at The Players Championship, yet Ames made it feel like a practice round. He showed no nerves and said he felt none. His 67 from the final group was the best score by two shots.

The only blip was a double bogey on the 10th hole, when mud on his ball caused his approach to plug into a bunker, and it took him two shots to get out. His lead was cut in half to two strokes, and with the terror of the back nine awaiting, it was set up for another dramatic finish.

Instead, Ames poured it on with magnificent shots, starting with a three-iron into 15 feet on the par-5 11th to set up a two-putt birdie. Then came an eight-iron on the par-3 13th that caught the ridge and rolled to two feet for birdie. He took only 12 putts on the back nine, including a 25-footer for eagle from just off the green at No. 16.

"I think I did that this week, put myself in another gear," Ames said. "It was a matter of seeing the shot and hitting the shot and not worrying about it because . . . nobody was close to me to worry about it."

Ames has seen that kind of golf before.

He faced Woods in the first round of the Match Play Championship, and riled him by saying that anything could happen, "especially where he's hitting the ball." Woods turned it into the shortest match in 18-hole history, 9 and 8, a score that became Ames' nickname the last month.

No more.

He's now The Players champion, with a performance his peers won't soon forget.

"What am I going to do, sit down and cry about it?" Ames said of that loss. "He's the No. 1 player in the world, and he played exceptionally well for . . . was it nine or 10 holes? That was it."

Woods was never part of the equation. He twice made double bogey from the fairway and shot 75 to tie for 22nd, 15 shots out of the lead.

"That's golf," Woods said. "Each week is so different. Stephen didn't really play all that well when he played against me in the Match Play. The great thing about this game is it starts over the very next week."

Mike Weir of Bright's Grove, Ont., struggled to a 79 and finished in a tie for 22nd.

He was like almost all those who had a chance to win The Players Championship.

Ames played with Vijay Singh, who shot 41 on the front, didn't make a birdie until the 11th hole and finished with a 77.

In front of him was Weir and Sergio Garcia, whose three-putt bogey and double bogey into the water led to a 78. Ernie Els got within three shots of the lead until he found water on the 16th and 17th holes and settled for a 71.

"It was pretty close at one stage, but he played awesome," Goosen said. "He ran away with it at the end. We all probably thought 9 under would be a good score."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Golf/PGA/2006/03/26/1506668-cp.html

THIS GETTING LIKE ANOTHER POST FOR GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 10:03:01 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2006, 10:04:10 PM »
I wonder if d Gov't gonna do anything? I mean is not a major but is the biggest tourney outside of one. At least a public congratulatory is in order.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2006, 10:42:49 PM »
Life is good.
 Stern score.
Mih boy Ames win ah big tournament again.
Rain go help WI draw ah test match .
Ah going home on Thursday..

An all de men dat talking about Ames eh Trinidadian......... take ah finger.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2006, 11:12:28 PM »
The man is T&T. Ah do care what nobody say!  An my take is that it should be used as inspiration for the Warriors in the WC.  One any day if every thing falls right and we follow the plan we could beat ENG, SWE, and PAR.  Go Warriors, take soome inspiration.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2006, 11:47:29 PM »
Football forum...

And he no longer represents T&T on the big stage.

I'm not even a fan of golf..never heard of the man, but all weekend all I'm hearing referenced when the highlights come up is Stephen Ames and "Trinidad and Tobago".  That's all the representation the man owes TnT...that's all that we can ask for.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2006, 11:57:07 PM »
...where as most major golf tournaments when listing players put there country next to there name and he chose canada,whether dual citizenship or not one could say yes he's trini but the fact is on an international stage the only thing the fans will remember and say is "that canadian is pretty good".

You need to check your facts...or listen to a more diverse range of broadcasts, b/c as I said, all I keep hearing was his name and Trinidad and Tobago...then again, I duz only watch ESPN, lol

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2006, 11:59:57 PM »
So we let get dis saga pinto, de man enter a country as a Canadian Citizen but he representing T&T in a tournament?  How is dat possible and how he slighting we?

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2006, 12:07:05 AM »
Gimme a frigging break, I maintain what I said but I eh bothering to post about it again as allyuh disagree with me. I have my personal reasons for saying what I said about him from knowing his family, and it not worth arguing with me about as I eh taking allyuh on (and you don't have to take me on either).

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2006, 12:10:43 AM »
Gimme a frigging break, I maintain what I said but I eh bothering to post about it again as allyuh disagree with me. I have my personal reasons for saying what I said about him from knowing his family, and it not worth arguing with me about as I eh taking allyuh on (and you don't have to take me on either).
All that matters is that TnT getting some positive publicity out of this...Ames' motives aside, that can't be such a bad thing, no?

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2006, 12:15:13 AM »
Why is dis dotish post on de football forum?  Dis is de right place to collect wood though...Palos done embarrass allyuh ass...de haters ah there with. You done collect yuh 2x4...now go home!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2006, 05:37:09 AM »
brilliant ames...brilliant....this is huge......i once attended a golf clinic he put on...mama...if allyuh see da man hit a golf ball....fade ..draw...anything....well done son(of the soil)
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2006, 08:50:16 AM »

This man represent T&T on the golfing stage for real years.

You cah imagine the pride watching some big tournament in Scotland and I just watching the ticker tape whole time just waiting to see the man name and WE flag.  Didn't matter how he was doing.

Where allyuh was all them years before he get citizenship in Canada?

A man has a Canadian wife and chirren born there...he living there.  That sound like a citizen to me.  He is making a positive contribution to Canada and they grant him citizenship so he can carry on his business and live his life without undue problems.
That change anything about where he come from, where his heart is....where the rest of his family is and the contributions he has made and continue to make to T&T?

My impressions are that it was a legal matter and the man heart is clearly still at home.  That is good enough for me.  He has never denied us and the fact that he learnt his golf during his formative years in T&T is something to be damn proud of.
He has to be considered for national recognition just as any other son of the soil.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »
"I'd rather go on vacation, to be truthful,'' he said. "I have no plans of playing Augusta. My kids have come down for spring break and we had plans to go somewhere else. My priorities have always been my family first. (Augusta) wasn't on my schedule.''

He also said he would discuss matters with his wife Jodi and sons Justin, 9, and Ryan, 6, and was open to their ideas. His family made it as far as Orlando yesterday, flying from their Calgary home, and they were to hook up last night on their way to Trinidad, where Ames was born and, despite his obtaining Canadian citizenship in 2003, his heart's allegiance remains.

FULL STORY HERE
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
And what about Stephen Ames isnt it
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2006, 09:25:42 AM »
worth mentioning that he won a big tournament yesterday? Come on Trinbago feel proud. Realise that for a small nation we blaze a mighty trail.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: And what about Stephen Ames isnt it
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2006, 09:29:47 AM »
Even the naysayers have to concede...an gih de man he props

Yuh know fuh ah lil insignificant country of lil over a millionpeople... full ah banana bendin factories  :D...some of our citizens really do defy the odds of achievement on a global stage

big up to ames and bovell and yorke and lara and ato etc etc etc  :beermug:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2006, 09:44:26 AM »
worth mentioning that he won a big tournament yesterday? Come on Trinbago feel proud. Realise that for a small nation we blaze a mighty trail.

BIG UP STEPHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Augi

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2006, 09:48:16 AM »
Must mention Tiger Woods was in that tournament, Stephen cut his arse also.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2006, 09:49:11 AM »
de man is a f**kin canadian who gave a f**k???
warmonga..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2006, 09:57:51 AM »
yu proud of this?  maybe  you is a canadian.
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sports1.html
Black Lives Matter..

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2006, 09:59:19 AM »
But wait nah, ent Latas have his Scotish Citizenship?  So how come he representin TNT now? ;D

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2006, 10:00:13 AM »

Yuh livin up to yuh screen name today boy.......as soon as dey merge the thread with de original one ah go blaze fire in yuh azz  :devil:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2006, 10:00:59 AM »

why we cyar feel proud...ent you is Jamaican ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »

You should read the express story to get a better view. golf is not like football and cricket where you repesent a team. It is an individual sport and you have to fight as an individual to make the grade. Ames had tremendous visa problems everytime he tried to enter the US tournaments which are the big ones. He only took canadian citizenship to be elgible to take part in the tournaments and would not be winning anything today if he was not allowed to enter aganst the big guys.
If you listened to the commentary you would have hard the commentator referring to him as a Trinidadian. you should be proud . Until the road has been cleared for others, those who labour in the fields have to resort to all sorts of ground breaking measures.
Those who follow golf know that Ames is as trinidadian as they come ...even foreighners know this ..
Well done ames...you have finally tamed the tiger !

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2006, 10:29:04 AM »

Yes I am proud of him. At least he still talks like a Trinbagonian. And, more importantly, he gives back. now run along you little asshole.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2006, 05:28:22 AM »
Yeah and if the man 4cup dey quick to pull ah Ben Johnson treatment; yuh go see how quick dey  go dismiss that Canadian idol.

All the time Ben winning  he is mister Canadian ; as soon as he 4cup he is Jamacian.

1]; } ?>