April 27, 2024, 06:05:29 PM

Author Topic: Darrin Lewis is Super League Player of the Year.  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Darrin Lewis is Super League Player of the Year.
« on: March 29, 2006, 06:14:09 AM »
Changes in store for 2006 Super League.
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).
[/size]

In an effort to "completely professionalise the game" of football in Trinidad and Tobago, the National Super League is in the process of restructuring the format to make it more compatible with the T&T Pro League. The impending moves of two Super League teams-double 2005 titleists Joe Public and long-standing club Superstar Rangers-to the Pro League seems to have created even more excitement among the smaller clubs, as the Super League pushes to create a more professional environment for smaller clubs.
All Sport Promotions marketing director Tony Harford, whose company organises the Super League, gave a progress update for the new season, when the League held its awards function at the VIP Lounge of the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Monday night.
In 2005, a year Harford described as having "considerable challenges" for the League, venturing "principally, how do we market a Super League when our national team is doing so well..." as one of the main areas that posed challenges.
Despite such an issue at the heart of major concerns coming into the new season-compounded by the fact they are without a title sponsor this year-Harford has expressed optimism that the league will be able to thrive and grow this year.
So much so, they have increased the prize money for the 2006 League winners from $75,000 to $100,000, the original target they had set at their initial launch two years ago.
Last year's title sponsors Sportworld, though, have maintained ties with the League, which is also looking for additional funding.
And the Super League is also altering the structure to one similar to the Pro League and has now made it mandatory for the top two teams to be promoted to the Pro League.
Rangers advanced to the Pro League after Super League runners-up Crab Connection declined to move up.
Other changes being introduced in this year's competition include a Big Four competition, which will be played at the end of the first round, and the Super League is going to have a youth league as well.
Harford also took the opportunity to pay tribute to match supervisor Douglas James, who has been associated with All Sport for ten years also as a referee and technical director.
He also gave special mention to veteran official Richard Piper, as well as the referees' body and the match commissioners who served the League in 2005.
At Monday's awards function, Joe Public received their trophies and cash prize for winning the League competition as well as the Knockout, which carried a purse of $20,000.
Runners-up Crab Connection got $42,000 for their efforts.
WASA Clean and White striker Darrin Lewis earned the Player of the Year accolade, after being named as one of the Five Players of the Year, along with Maraval Youth Academy goalkeeper Akintunde Felicien, Caroni FC defender Alvin Xavier, Crab Connection midfielder Marvin Oliver and teammate, striker Marlon Warner. This year the Super League will begin in July, to facilitate clubs needing time to conform to the new criteria required by the League, including newcomers Defence Force and House of Dread.

Super League awards:

Knockout:

1. Joe Public
2. WASA Clean and White

League:

1. Joe Public
2. Crab Connection
3. WASA Clean and White
4. Superstar Rangers

Five Players of the Year:

Akintunde Felicien (goalkeeper, Maraval Youth Academy), Alvin Xavier (defender, Plipdeco Caroni FC), Marvin Oliver (midfielder, Crab Connection), Darrin Lewis (forward, WASA Clean and White), Marlon Warner (forward, Crab Connection)

Player of the Year:

Darrin Lewis (WASA Clean and White).
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Isaachunt

Re: Darrin Lewis is Super League Player of the Year.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 07:00:11 AM »
 Darrin Lewis didn't play with Connecticut....I think he played with Rahim...I not sure..He really go low boy

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 07:18:27 AM »
Nice to see the super league bring a youth league
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 07:20:10 AM »
Yes he played with Raihm at UCONN, he never impress me though, saw him a few times even for MetroStars and he didn't have that special something a forward needs, yuh know we players they does fraid to shoot de ball... he look weak on de ball,,,,,, but for UCONN he look ok...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 07:56:20 AM »
Yes he played with Raihm at UCONN, he never impress me though, saw him a few times even for MetroStars and he didn't have that special something a forward needs, yuh know we players they does fraid to shoot de ball... he look weak on de ball,,,,,, but for UCONN he look ok...

MADNESS!!

Darren real hot from long time. I Doh think he is an out and out striker though he is more an attacking midfielder. I remember ah time he play against Fatima probably like in 93 and we last stopper name Earl the Pearl decide he eh taking no more beat from Darren and break he foot yes.
He had get a call up to a 2nd division side in Englad after school but he had break he metatarsal bone and dcided to go college instead.

congrats to him though he is a natural

Més que un club.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 08:00:49 AM »
School football is different bro.... look at Rahim, he shine in UCONN, same with Lewis, but after that ZERO !!!!!!!!! take it how you like.... Lewis cant even make a PFL or A League team now.... and he shining in de super league.... come on !!!

Coulda and woulda cant do much for yuh.... one beats dont make a player....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 08:28:22 AM »
if i remember correctly, darren was actually supposed to go fifth in the mls draft...but then he said prior to the draft essentially the mls is a shit league and he dont want to play here he want to play in europe. after that no coach really wanted him and so he played for the a league and was doing pretty well...so it was never about the football but about the appearance that he was hard to work with. I think he is a very good football player score some of the best goals i ever see.....

dtruth does offend

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »
if i remember correctly, darren was actually supposed to go fifth in the mls draft...but then he said prior to the draft essentially the mls is a shit league and he dont want to play here he want to play in europe. after that no coach really wanted him and so he played for the a league and was doing pretty well...so it was never about the football but about the appearance that he was hard to work with. I think he is a very good football player score some of the best goals i ever see.....

dais y he playing super league football now
yea, ah remember he man
d man was good
but college and pro is 2 different level
ah tink he did even sign ah pro contract with ah a league team yuh know

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 08:44:22 AM »

i bet he kicking he self now
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 09:04:26 AM »
last time I talk to him he really was not on football

he had a child with a girl living in Europ and that was his main focus
when he came back he was was working for TSTT then WASA draft him in

Més que un club.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 09:31:14 AM »
this fella was a very good player i haven't seen him in a long time but he coulda dribble pass, control he used to do it all.  Drop back in the midfield create.  the man was a boss.  That was a while ago though hard to believe he lose it and can't make a pfl team.

Isn't his dad a former national legend ??

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 09:34:17 AM »
There is a lot more about Darrin that we don't know,i'm a good friend of his Dad and from what i know this guy has been through some rough times in his career,he finally decided to give his education a priority after realizing there might not be a future,i don't think Football was a major thing for him,is just that he is from a Footballing family.

Isaachunt

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 10:52:05 AM »
Darrin Lewis just get hype up. He just realize quicker than Rahim that he not that good. Rahim take a trip halfway around the world to realize that belong in Trinidad scraping to start on Jabloteh. The Light is coming thru the Darkness now

1]; } ?>