May 28, 2024, 05:40:49 AM

Author Topic: Russell Latapy still young at heart.  (Read 8633 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Russell Latapy still young at heart.
« on: March 29, 2006, 08:03:43 AM »
Dwight says no intimidation for Soca Warriors.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

With less than three months before Trinidad and Tobago’s opening 2006 World Cup match against Sweden, National Senior Football Team captain Dwight Yorke has voiced his opinion that the “Soca Warriors” will be going there with  fifty-fifty chances as the other teams in Group B.
Yorke, who has recently been in England fine tuning himself with Manchester United, said recently that T&T will go to this year’s World Cup to prove that they are more than just first time outsiders as they face first round opponents England, Paraguay and Sweden.
“Realistically we are going there to compete. We have a fifty-fifty  chance like everybody else . We have been in situations where we were perhaps the better team and didn’t get the results. It’s eleven versus eleven and we will be going to Germany with that mentality,” Yorke told TTFF Media.
The Sydney FC winning captain is expected here in early May to take part in the team’s farewell international friendly against Peru on May 10 as well as other activities such as the nationwide roadshow and is keen to see the Leo Beenhakker coached team continue making strides.
“Whoever the manager brings in we have to ensure that they are welcomed and you can see the guys are very enthusiastic. I think we have to go their as a group to make sure we can compete with the very best. To get a victory like we did in our last game against Iceland away from home was very rewarding. These games are selected through management staff and based on the teams that we are likely to come up against in Germany. This is a good test for us. So far things seem to be going in the right direction and hopefully we can kick it off again the next time we are together (against Peru),” Yorke added.
The 34-year-old former Aston Villa star also made a call on the country to take inspiration out of the team’s achievements and the fact that as a result of it, the country is being recognized worldwide on a timely basis since qualifying. As a result, Yorke say’s his life has enjoyed a positive effect.
“Life has been great since qualification, not that my life has been that bad before. If there was anything missing from it,  this is now like putting the icing on the cake. At the World Cup at 34, you think you are coming to the twilight of your career which I am but to be leading the Trinidad and Tobago team to the World Cup is the best thing possible that could have happened to me,” Yorke said.
“I think the people of Trinidad and Tobago should have a lot of faith and encouragement from the team. We want to thank everyone from the country who has supported us through good and bad times and everyone who has been instrumental in the team’s success.”
And when asked what he expects of them both at home and in Germany come June, the skipper replied: “I would like to think there will be a Carnival like atmosphere. Every opportunity there is for Trinidad and Tobago people to party they will grab it. We will be there in numbers for sure.”
Assistant coach Wim Rijsbergen arrived back in the country last week and Beenhakker is expected here next week as the build up intensifies to the Peru encounter and the remaining preparation schedule which includes matches away to Slovenia, Wales and Czech Republic.
T&T U-21s begin CAC quest.
By Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 21 footballer will begin their quest to put the country on another world stage in July as they go after a spot in the 2006 CAC Games in Colombia from Friday against Dominica.
T&T will take on the Dominicans from 4pm at the Larry Gomes Stadium in the first of the round-robin series from which the top nation on points will join four other Caribbean qualified teams at the CAC Games.
The local team, under coach Ron La Forest, has been in training for a lengthy period, having matches against Kansas City Wizards and Chicago Fire as well as local  teams Joe Public, San Juan Jabloteh and W Connection under their belts.
The team can boast of the presence of nippy midfielder Kevon Neaves who arrived from University of South Florida and is raring to go after making his T&T senior debut against Iceland last month.
“My aim really is to try and help this team get to the CAC Games, The experience with the senior team was a great one because I got to play the game at a much higher level and the pace of it was really something of a learning experience for me. I’m certain I can use this for the benefit of other teams like the Under 21s and I am really looking forward to the future,” Neaves told TTFF Media.
La Forest says he expects the team to play a good, compact style of football, pointing out that that the squad was a well balanced one with quick players and players fitting well into position.
“The guys are a confident bunch bit obviously we know what work has to be done and we intend to take none of these teams lightly,” he said.
Some of the player expected to perform for T&T include US-based defender Makan Hislop and skilful midfielder Hayden Tinto while former Queen’s Royal College player Jason Devenish, now at University of South Florida, is keen to impress in national colours.  Former Naparima College defender Ancil Farrier, another US-based player out of Southern Connecticut University is also in the mix with the experienced Carlon Murray of CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh, Kendall Jagdeosingh of Neal and Massy Caledonia AIA and striker Shane Calderon all in the squad.
Four teams from the Central American home-and-away series qualification, which also begins this month, will also progress to the CAC Games which takes place during July 16-29.
The Caribbean and Central American qualified teams will be joined by Mexico, Venezuela and the host, Colombia at the 2006 CAC Games.

T&T squad.

Goalkeepers
Thorne Holder (Joe Public), Kerwyn Beckles (W Connection).

Defenders
Akile Edwards (Defence Force), Carlon Murray (San Juan Jabloteh), Ancil Farrier (Southern Connecticut University), Marcelle Francois (Young Harris College), Makan Hislop (University of South Carolina), Yohance Marshall (University of South Florida).

Midfielder
Hayden Tinto (Caledonia AIA Fire), Josimar Belgrave (Superstar Rangers), Kevon Neaves (University of South Florida), Clevon George (Young Harris College), Jason Devenish (University of South Florida).

Forwards
Kendall Jagdeosingh (Caledonia AIA Fire), Shane Calderon (W Connection), Abiola Sandy (Bowling Green University), Judah Hernandez (Caledonia AIA Fire), Keston Alexander (Joe Public).

CAC Games Qualifying Fixtures

Caribbean Zone.

Group 1

Waterford, St. Michaels BARBADOS; National Stadium
16.04.2006: BARBADOS – PUERTO RICO (19:00)
18.04.2006: ARUBA – PUERTO RICO (19:00)
20.04.2006: BARBADOS – ARUBA (19:00)

Group 2

Malabar, TRINIDAD & TOBAGO; Larry Gomes Stadium
31.03.2006: TRINIDAD & TOBAGO – DOMINICA (16:00)
02.04.2006: HAITI – DOMINICA (16:00)
04.04.2006: TRINIDAD & TOBAGO – HAITI (16:00)

Group 3

Willemstad, Curcaco NETHERLANDS ANTILLES; Stadion Ergilio Hato
29.03.2006: NETHERLANDS ANTILLES – US VIRGIN ISLANDS (20:00)
31.03.2006: US VIRGIN ISLANDS – ST. LUCIA (20:00)
02.04.2006: NETHERLANDS ANTILLES – ST. LUCIA (20:00)

Group 4
La Habana, CUBA; Estadio Pedro Marrero
12.04.2006: ANTIGUA & BARBUDA – ST. VINCENT & THE GRENADINES (16:00)
14.04.2006: CUBA – ANTIGUA & BARBUDA (16:30)
16.04.2006: CUBA – ST. VINCENT & THE GRENADINES (16:30)

Group 5

Paramaribo, SURINAM; Andre Kamperveen Stadium
05.04.2006: SURINAM – DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (20:00)
07.04.2006: DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – JAMAICA (20:00)
09.04.2006: SURINAM – JAMAICA (17:00)

Central American Zone

Series 1

29.03.2006: Mazatenango, GUATEMALA; Estadio Carlos Salazar Hijo (20:00)
GUATEMALA – COSTA RICA
12.04.2006: San José, COSTA RICA; Estadio Ricardo Saprissa (16:00)
COSTA RICA – GUATEMALA

Series 2

02.04.2006: Dangriga, BELIZE; Carl Ramos Stadium (15:00)
BELIZE – EL SALVADOR
05.04.2006: San Salvador, EL SALVADOR; Estadio Cuscatlan (19:00)
EL SALVADOR – BELIZE

Series 3

05.04.2006: Tegucigalpa, HONDURAS; Estadio Tiburcio Carias Andino (19:00)
HONDURAS – NICARAGUA
09.04.2006: Diriamba, NICARAGUA; Estadio Cacique Diriangén (15:00)
NICARAGUA – HONDURAS

Playoff Series

TBD: TBD, PANAMA;
PANAMA – BEST SERIES RUNNER-UP
TBD: TBD;
BEST SERIES RUNNER-UP – PANAMA
News from the 30th of March 2006.

Russell Latapy still young at heart.
By FIFAworldcup.com.
[/size]

Russell Latapy, the long-serving 'little magician' in Trinidad and Tobago's midfield, has announced that he will retire from international football following the Caribbean nation's first FIFA World Cup™ finals appearance this June in Germany.
It is no surprise really. Thirty-eight in April, Latapy - still considered by some in Trinidad and Tobago to be their best ever footballer - does not exactly have that same old spring in his step. But what he has lost in speed, he more than makes up for with his deft reading of the game.
"Of course, I'm no young pup," said Latapy – known as 'Stompy' or 'Latas' to his legions of fans on both sides of the Atlantic. "It is a bit unrealistic in my lifetime to come back for a fourth and fifth World Cup qualification."
Though he will most likely be the oldest outfield player at the finals in Germany, Latapy, who is now player-coach with Scottish club Falkirk, is still a highly effective presence in the middle of the park. He even picked up the 2005 Scottish First Division Player of the Year award for the role he played in his club's promotion to the top flight.
Less of the foraging runner he was in his younger days, his vision in the middle of the park has him ranking among the most important members of both his club and national teams. Some even claim the Trinidadian to be the most gifted playmaker in the Scottish game.
John Hughes, Latapy's manager at Falkirk, has nothing but praise for his number ten. "Some of the things he does are just amazing," said Hughes, whose side look like surviving the drop in their first season back in the Premier League. "I take great delight in watching it.
"When Russell has got the right head on and he has got the desire he is a fantastic player. It's just the way he controls it and passes the ball, he doesn't need to break his stride." Gordon Strachan, manager of champions-elect Celtic, echoed this view of Latapy, saying: "He's an excellent player."
As Falkirk's player-coach, Latapy has been splitting his duties on both sides of the touchline of late. And although he expects T&T's finals debut to be his Trinidadian swansong, he has made it clear that the Soca Warriors are not going along merely to make up the numbers.
"We are not going as tourists to the finals, we've told ourselves that," said the dreadlocked Latapy, who has been named T&T's footballer of the year on four occasions, the first time when he was only 16. And though Germany 2006 will be his first and last appearance on the world's biggest stage, the team’s Cinderella qualification hinged - quite profoundly - on the player's decision to come out of retirement.

Russell's return.
When T&T were struggling early on in the final round of CONCACAF qualifying, it was clear something was not quite clicking. But a fateful August phone call from old pal and former Manchester United hero Dwight Yorke brought the old boy home for one last try.
"I was in the side that lost to the USA (in 1989) that put us out of the race for Italia 90. Now that we're so close again, I want to do my bit to see if we can qualify. Playing at a World Cup would be crowning glory in my career," Latapy remarked on his return.
In addition to his wonderful dribbling ability, the diminutive Latapy has tremendous creative powers as well. It showed in the run-up to Germany as he sprayed passes all over the park, releasing the strikers and putting the team constantly on the attack. He scored the winner in his first match back against Guatemala – the Central American side the Soca Warriors eventually edged past to set up a play-off with Bahrain.
"If you have two or three players on the pitch of the calibre of Latapy, you will win games," head coach Leo Beenhakker said of the playmaker when he came back to the fold. "We were struggling to create chances before he came into the team," T&T's all-time top scorer Stern John told FIFAworldcup.com. "Russell can not only create chances, but he can score too."
After stints in Portugal with first Porto - where he became the first Trinidadian to play in a UEFA Champions League match - and then Boavista, Latapy moved on to Scotland for spells with Hibernian, Rangers and Dundee United before settling in as player, and eventually player-coach, with Falkirk.
With 64 caps and 28 goals for his country, he will not be the only old head in the line-up for new boys Trinidad come kick-off time in Germany. The core of the team comprises players over 30 years of age. Yorke, Stern John, Marvin Andrews, Avery John, Dennis Lawrence and Shaka Hislop are all in their 30s - and hoping to be able to keep up with the young ones on the big stage.
At 37, one wonders whether the little magician can conjure up a few new tricks for T&T this June when they square off against Sweden, England and Paraguay in a tricky Group B.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 03:56:04 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Russell Latapy still young at heart.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 09:49:36 AM »
Nice article on Latas, always love readin about him

Sorry to hear he will retire right after the World Cup...but it was to be expected I guess...it will take a big big player to wear that #10 jersey again

Trust meh in Germany ppl will never guess this man is 37 when he splitting defences  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 10:04:54 AM »
Nice read ...here is to Latas and his past/ present and future contributions   :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 11:41:53 AM »
still smokin like he young lol
na ah playin russel is ma boy an i wish him de best i jus so happy da he finally have de chance to play in a wc

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 11:47:46 AM »
To Latas.  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 02:44:24 PM »
FOR those of us who grew up in the 80's (Children of the 80's as we are called) Russell Latapy is the Greatest Footballer must of all  has ever knew. WE have been hearing about Latapy since we were learning how to read and write..

Here's to an outstanding carrer :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Hats off to the Little Magician  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 02:55:15 PM »
de man is ah true warrior.he go weave some magic in germany.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 02:56:54 PM »
yea growing up in d 80s, latas was definitely the man on d futbol scene... u could pick he out immediately as he always d centre of the gameplan and u could see opposition players shying away almost. He use to chain up fellas and had a wicked bullet from distance.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 04:06:16 PM »
long live the king....abracadabra

LATAPY

ee  ooh  eay....check de danger...ooo.... latapy inna de area
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline ZURITRESS

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 04:54:58 PM »
yes 80's= latapy and the sad thing about that era is the amount of football talent from that era that didn't get the chance of the big stage. but here's to the king    :beermug: long may he be remembered

Isaachunt

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 05:36:11 PM »
 Russel still have something to offer. i believe age is how young you feel

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 06:11:43 PM »
80's my foot

i see nuff magic in de 19's and 20's tuh say that.

de man take 3 generations on and beat all ah dem and score
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 06:20:49 PM »
He eh no little magician..............de man is FLIPMODE MERLIN!! Dat is a boss!!!

Was expected............so all de best....make de last dance yuh best.........and hope we could get somebody tuh fill dem shoes.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 09:09:52 PM »
 :'( I'm sorry that he's retiring.  If only he could lose about 10 years from his age.... but that's life.
I hope that we could at least reach the second round and he scores a goal or two. 
That's the least he could go out with. :'(
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 09:35:51 PM »
De man is ah boss....i would always remember when he set up Kerry Jameson for that wicked shot against Guatemala in  1989.......

Vibes It Up Latas!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 11:13:41 AM »
this is a beautiful article, even though there are many errors in it.

Latapy for President!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

1]; } ?>