March 28, 2024, 05:16:07 AM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 891629 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FORWARD
« Reply #6210 on: May 30, 2015, 11:48:03 AM »
Can they sustain this 1-0 lead ... or will there be drama?
Hell of a goal by Sanchez

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: May 30, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »
That's it for Villa 3-0

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: May 30, 2015, 12:30:28 PM »
Sanchez is about 1.5x the next best Arsenal player.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: May 30, 2015, 06:47:46 PM »

Like yuh doh watch Santi Carzola or wha hoss?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: May 30, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »
Congrats to the Gunners on the forum on a second consecutive FA Cup win, and record 12th overall. Start submitting design suggestions on a Wenger statue.

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: June 09, 2015, 11:59:31 AM »

Like yuh doh watch Santi Carzola or wha hoss?

Sanchez, Cazorla, Koscielny. Then everybody else on that side. Ozil has to do better.
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: June 29, 2015, 11:25:57 AM »
Cech's first interview
Arsenal.com

Petr Cech became Arsenal's first signing of the transfer window when he joined the club from Chelsea on Monday afternoon.

Below is a full transcript:

Petr, welcome to Arsenal. How does it feel to have signed for the club?

It is exciting. I first came to the Premier League a long time ago and I still love playing in the Premier League and the challenges it poses with the great players and great teams you have to face every week. Arsenal are a team that challenge for the top and definitely matches my ambitions and personal motivation. I believe at this time of my career I have made a really good choice and will have the success that I hope to have.

What is about Arsenal that made you want to join the club?

I would say the approach. In the first meeting we had, I spoke to the manager, Arsène Wenger, and obviously it was a big difference because I am as hungry as ever and have the same motivation and commitment to win trophies as I had 10 or 15 years ago and as a kid. Having spoken to him, I believe I will find a team that wants to be successful and wants to challenge the best in Europe. It is an exciting project for me.

Having spent 11 successful years at Chelsea, it must have been a tough decision to leave?
It was probably the hardest decision for me to go, but last year I realised that I am not in a phase of my career when I would sit on the bench. I want to be playing, I want to have a chance to compete for my position in the team and I want to be useful for the team and do the usual stuff on the pitch week in, week out. I hope I will have that possibility to compete for my place here at Arsenal and I hope that I can bring something a little extra to the team that can help.

You’re obviously hugely experienced in the Premier League. You know the Premier League very well and you know London very well. Do you think that will be a big advantage for you?
Well I believe that the Premier League is the best league in the world and having played in the Premier League for such a long time, it is to my advantage and I know what to expect. This year I will be at a different club but I think it can be a big advantage for me that I’m settled, I know what to expect in almost every ground in England with the style that is played. It is a great challenge to be playing against the best players in the world and I always wanted to play in the Premier League and be a part of this league. To have an opportunity to continue in a team that has the motivation to challenge for the title and challenge the best teams was a challenge for me and I have to say that once I spoke to Arsène Wenger about the ambitions and motivations this club has, my decision was clear because I wanted to be a part of it.

How influential was Arsène Wenger in your decision to join Arsenal?

I had a good chat with him and it was the first time after the club approached me that I could speak to him in private for such a long time. He made me believe that this was the right step and that this is the club with a lot of ambition. I have a lot of personal motivation and ambition and the club definitely matches it. It is an exciting time for me, it is a project where Arsenal fans and the club have been waiting for the Premier League title and this is a chance for me to bring my experience and my little extra to the team and we can possibly achieve that.

Have you spoken to Tomas Rosicky about the club much and if so, what has he told you about it?

Yes, we have spoken - obviously we had time together with the national team but at the time I did not know what would happen. But he seems happy always and he loves playing for Arsenal. He was excited about the idea that this could happen. He told me a lot of good things and he was one of the reasons why I decided to give it a go and meet with Arsenal. Then the discussions went on and here we are today! I am really happy it happened that way.

You have played against Arsenal many times over the course of your career. What are your biggest memories from playing at Highbury and Emirates Stadium?

The first time I played at Highbury I was actually surprised about the size of the stadium because I thought it was a bit bigger! When you were on the pitch it seemed quite close and narrow. The first time I played, we conceded a goal when Thierry Henry shot a quick free-kick and we were caught by surprise. But in the end we got an important 2-2 draw which would later allow us to win the title, so that was my first memory. Then the club moved to Emirates Stadium and it is always nice to play there because of the beautiful pitches there every single year. You as a visitor you know it is going to be a tough task to play against technical Arsenal sides and it was always a big test for us but we seemed to have success in recent years. Hopefully that will change now!

You have a chance to prove that because your first competitive game could be against Chelsea…
I think the script couldn’t have been written in a better way for the fans because this will be one of the days [that is] very exciting and very strange at the same time. I have to say, having been with Chelsea for 11 years and having so much success and great memories, I guess it will be a very strange feeling to be on the other side. Once you’re on the pitch, you play for your team and you want to win. During the year you can play against friends, you can play against big friends and close friends but once you are on the pitch, this friendship goes away and you just focus on winning the game.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: June 30, 2015, 11:21:31 PM »
Barely saw him play this past season but hopefully Cech still has the goods. Welcome to the good guys!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: September 12, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
Real strange start to the season. Creating plenty, well balanced, experienced defence but horrible finishing. Today we should have scored much more than 2 goals.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: October 11, 2015, 02:23:11 AM »
Such a magnificent performance. Why can't we play like that all the time? Theo is becoming a fantastic striker.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 02:24:52 AM by Dansteel - The Iceman »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: October 22, 2015, 01:06:06 AM »
Cech man of the match but we gave as good as we got. Better even. Well done Gunners. A point in Munich and we're back in business!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: November 04, 2015, 03:00:01 PM »
The Gunners are being ripped apart methodically by Bayern. 4-0 in the 57th min.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: November 07, 2015, 04:38:11 AM »
Robert Pires: Wenger wants the title this year and Arsenal can do it
By Sachin Nakrani, The Guardian

The 42-year-old is training with the club’s first team and believes they have what it takes to end their 12-season wait for the Premier League crown

Robert Pires is standing in a basement car park at London’s ExCel. It is a typically autumnal afternoon and as the brisk air takes hold in cavernous surroundings, the former Arsenal winger could be forgiven for breaking out in a huff and expressing his desire to be somewhere else, especially when he has to constantly redo one of the PR commitments he is here to carry out because of the interrupting roar of cars overhead. But he remains cool, focused and professional throughout. As anyone who watched him play could testify, it’s classic Pires.

Nine years have passed since his final appearance for Arsenal and it is striking how little the Frenchman has changed since the days when he was a captivating, creative force in a team that touched invincibility. The face has aged but the hair is still jet black and generous, while above perfectly kept stubble remains those recognisably dark eyes. Dressed in a black jacket, white shirt and jeans, the 42-year-old also appears as slim as he was at his peak. It is like Pires has never been away which, to an extent, he hasn’t.

There were spells at Villarreal, Aston Villa and, somewhat bizarrely, FC Goa in India after Pires left Arsenal in May 2006, but his heart always remained at the club where he won two Premier League titles, three FA Cups, was voted Football Writers’ player of the year and went through an entire league campaign unbeaten. Having returned to England after retirement, Pires now regularly trains with Arsenal’s first team at their London Colney base. Preparing for Sunday’s north London derby, Alexis Sánchez and co could not ask for a better reminder of the levels of excellence they are meant to be reaching.

“Arsène [Wenger] said to me ‘If you want to come, you can’ and so every morning I am training with the first team,” says Pires. “For me, it’s very interesting. I hope it’s also interesting for the players. I talk a long time to them. I don’t know if I give them some tips and advice but I have a good experience for the guys to learn from.”

Pires’s routine visits to the training ground also allow him to stay fit as he enters middle age and the obvious question to ask is if he is still able to hold his own with Arsenal’s current superstars. “I don’t know, you have to ask them,” he replies. “But the technique … you never lose it. You lose speed, that’s normal, but the technique you never lose.” Cue a devilish smile from the man with the classically Gallic accent.

I am speaking with Pires in the back of a silver people-carrier that has been supplied by one of Arsenal’s corporate sponsors and that Pires, in his role as club ambassador, is here to promote. As the vehicle glides around the car park and beyond, what should be a routine interview suddenly feels like a surreal mix of Football Focus and the A-Team. But ultimately it is not difficult to remain focused on the task ahead given Pires is in such engaging form, no more so than when he is assessing Arsenal’s title credentials. It has been a strange season for the team, with them joint top of the Premier League but, after their 5-1 humbling at Bayern Munich in midweek, in real danger of failing to qualify for the Champions League knockout stages for the first time in 16 seasons. Having watched and worked with them, however, Pires is adamant that the class of 2015-16 are the real deal.

“Arsenal have started the season well. Actually, since the game against Man United [when Arsenal won 3-0 at the start of October] they are doing very well,” he says. “They have a lot of ingredients to win the title, because when you see the name in the paper the quality is there. The quality is very good. Of course, the Champions League is very important, but I prefer to see Arsenal win the Premier League this season and I know this is the objective for Arsène Wenger and all the players. It is also important for the fans. So yes, this team can win the Premier League.”

Pires cites Petr Cech as being particularly key to Arsenal’s chances of becoming champions for the first time since he and the rest of the Invincibles did so in 2004 – “He is very important because he has already won the title with Chelsea” – but it is his praise for another of the team’s defensively minded players that truly catches the attention. It comes as the Frenchman explains his choices for an Ultimate XI made up of Arsenal players he featured alongside and/or has seen in the flesh. There are some obvious names in there, such as David Seaman, Tony Adams, Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira and, from the current side, Sánchez and Santi Cazorla. But who is that at the base of midfield? Francis Coquelin.

“I love this guy because he has very good spirit and he loves fighting,” says Pires. “He’s French but he has an English mentality, and in this position you need that. In my time we had Ray Parlour, and Coquelin is the same. He’s a very good balance between defence and attack. He is important for the team. Imagine for 10 seconds Vieira and Coquelin together in midfield, in this moment or 10 years ago. That would be fantastic.”

When speaking about Arsenal’s Ultimate XI in Pires’s company it is difficult not to come back to his time at the club having arrived there from Marseille in 2000. It’s somewhat forgotten now that Pires struggled during his first season in north London but, having settled at a new club in a new country, the winger soon soared, helping Arsenal achieve the double in 2002 and complete that most memorable of seasons two years later. “That was a special team and we showed that by being unbeaten and, most importantly, winning the title,” he reflects.

Pires picks out Dennis Bergkamp as the best player he featured alongside during his time at Arsenal – “he was the maestro” – and his goal at Villa in March 2002, when Pires left George Boateng for dead with one touch before lobbing Peter Schmeichel with another, as his own best individual moment for the club. And then there is the effusive praise for Wenger, the man who brought Pires to London and continues to welcome him back into the fold. “He is the same guy from when I joined 15 years ago,” says Pires. “He’s passionate, he loves football, he loves Arsenal and he loves the guys at the club.

“He loves talking to them, especially when they are a little bit tired or a little bit down, and is very good at lifting them up. That communication is important between manager and player and Arsène never forgets that.”

Looking ahead to Tottenham’s visit to the Emirates on Sunday, Pires agrees that this could be the most intriguing north London derby for some time given the encouraging form of both teams but is backing his old side to record what would be their sixth successive league victory since the bad-tempered defeat at Chelsea in mid-September. This is also another moment for Pires to reflect on the past and, in particular, his excellent record against Arsenal’s most bitter rivals.

“I scored eight goals in 12 games against Spurs,” he says, with the assurance of a man reciting his own phone number. “I’m proud of this achievement because I know this rivalry is very important for the Arsenal fans – when you score eight times against Spurs you are an idol for them.

“And I know the Spurs fans hate me,” Pires adds with yet another devilish smile. “I know this and it is a good sensation.”

Robert Pires’s ultimate Arsenal XI

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: December 05, 2015, 11:21:51 AM »
 :wavetowel:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: December 06, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »
Is the 2nd place trophy bigger than the 4th place one?  ::)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:05:25 PM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6225 on: December 21, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »
Is not often a big game lives up to the hype.

That Toure goal... wow.

He went from invisible to beast mode all of a sudden at the end of the game. If only he could do that to start.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: December 21, 2015, 04:07:26 PM »
That Toure goal... wow.

The sequence leading up to the goal is what make it a beauty.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: December 21, 2015, 04:15:09 PM »
Allyuh bigging up YaYa on de Arsenal thread. Hope Dansteel eh send ah inter-continental pox on allyuh house.

I thought Ramsey was lacking at a couple pivotal moments. But of course dem fellas frighten to call that shot.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: December 21, 2015, 05:52:43 PM »
Allyuh bigging up YaYa on de Arsenal thread. Hope Dansteel eh send ah inter-continental pox on allyuh house.

I thought Ramsey was lacking at a couple pivotal moments. But of course dem fellas frighten to call that shot.

Walcott goal was leading until Toure. That was on another level. I wonder if he will go home and tell the wife he miskick the ball...  ;D

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: January 05, 2016, 09:49:46 PM »
Happy New Year fellas! Keep up the good work! Yaya goal was fantastic. Glad he lost though!

Implosion against Southampton was horrible but still, top of the table, for now. Keep it up Arsenal! :applause:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: February 14, 2016, 08:02:39 AM »
That was a hell of a game.

Leicester is the real deal. We'll see if they can hold on.

Great spirit from arsenal. I thought they had the fight in them since the Chelsea loss, but now they getting weapons back. They still missing cazorla though.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: February 14, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »
That was a hell of a game.

Leicester is the real deal. We'll see if they can hold on.

Great spirit from arsenal. I thought they had the fight in them since the Chelsea loss, but now they getting weapons back. They still missing cazorla though.

Alexis was awful today. Still  :wavetowel:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: April 05, 2016, 04:02:46 PM »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: April 06, 2016, 09:05:14 AM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: April 09, 2016, 10:08:40 PM »
Yet again another 2 points squandered? Time for Wenger's (read Arsenal's) press officer to draft a stock explanation.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: April 17, 2016, 10:53:52 AM »
Pathetic! Pathétique!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: April 17, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »
No wonder I am not a coach. I can't put my finger on this team. They play some of the most attractive football and then "pooof"!!!!

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: April 17, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »
Wenger's faith in Ramsey and Walcott will keep us from winning a title. Iwobi tracking back and breaking up plays but bring him on for Ramsey and put him on the rightside. Wellbeck playing central but tracking back, its ok to bring on Giroud but Waltcott? Then put Walcott on the right next to useless Ramsey. Any surprise which side the goal come from, when Baloise about to shoot who slowly jogging back into the picture, Ramsey(16). Where Walcott? No where to be found. Walcott and Ramsey for Iwobi and Elneny cost us another 2 points.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: April 17, 2016, 01:07:25 PM »
Them just blight.

It have no good reason for that goal to score. When Bolassie cut inside, Coquelin was right with him with Gabriel covering behind, all Bolassie could do it take a hopeful shot, and he manage to take the perfect shot to get the goal.

That is not bad defense, or men not running back, that is blight. You could argue that Gabriel moved out of the way and should have blocked it, which might be the real point. Arsenal men just don't have that next level of grit to throw their body in front of those things.

I actually don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. It doesn't fit thier philosophy because when you do that, you lose the calmness and control Wenger wants.

You could also argue that with the possession they had, they could have closed up shop and played keep-away, but that is not in their DNA either. Maybe you just can't play that style in the EPL.

1]; } ?>