March 29, 2024, 02:47:25 AM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 891920 times)

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FORWARD
« Reply #4740 on: October 03, 2011, 03:16:49 AM »
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! Period

I was there and spurs fans were singing aweful shite about wenger.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

You love the cheeky chants the supporters of english clubs come up with to show love or hate from the terraces.
Its a double edged sword so don't be shocked and amoral about it. This is my view after being in the crowd and hearing all the chants.

Not one racist chant, awesome. Two chants one each directed at opposition player and manager. The rest of the dozen or more chants were for arsenal support, RvP and Cheesey. The rest were chants at tottenhams lack of premier league titles, us winning the league at white hart lane in 1971 and 2004, that north london is ours, tottenham is a shit hole etc.

What was sung to adebayor was hateful spiteful and regretable. Many better things to have taunted him for.

"It should have been you! It should have been you! Shot in Angola, it should have been you!

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: October 03, 2011, 07:30:38 AM »
Agree with you on AOC but I guess Wenger still believes in Arshavin, besides Jenkinson needed cover and judging from AOC's performance on Wednesday he was never going to provide it.

Yeah but I thought that's what the Yossi sub was supposed to address... Arshavin should be seeing nothing but ah practice bib and some cones.

Hard luck dey Sagna.... such an innocuous (seeming) play.

You're right. I was confusing AA and Benayoun. Arshavin was on for Gervinho. The point I was TRYING to make was that AOC could have come on for Gervinho but Le Boss clearly prefers Arshavin. Undeservingly, as you pointed out.

And now we have 4 fit defenders out of 10, and 3 are backups. Sigh!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:40:44 AM by Dansteel - The Iceman »
Victoria concordia crescit

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: October 03, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »
Arsenal and Spurs 'disappointed' by chants

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-and-spurs-disappointed-by-chants

Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur have issued the following joint statement expressing their “disappointment” at some of the chants by fans during yesterday’s North London derby:

“Both clubs were extremely disappointed to hear the chants from supporters at yesterday's game. Neither club tolerates foul language, racist chanting, homophobic chanting or any anti-social behaviour from its supporters.

"We shall be working closely with each other to identify the individuals involved.”

Arsenal for Everyone
We do not tolerate discrimination of any sort at the Club, on the pitch or in the stands. If you experience any form of discrimination at Emirates Stadium, please report this by texting 67777 or contact a Matchday Steward.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: October 03, 2011, 11:04:56 AM »
This is getting ridiculous!!!!

Arsenal keeper Szczesny pulls out of Poland squad

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/9876610

LONDON, Oct 3 (Reuters) - The injury-curse blighting Arsenal's season struck again on Monday when goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny pulled out of the Poland squad for two upcoming friendlies against South Korea and Belarus with a bad back.
Szczesny, 21, who has played six time for Poland, was due to meet up with his international team mates this week but the official Polish FA website (www.pzpn.pl) said in a statement that coach Franciszek Smuda had called up Genk goalkeeper Grzegorz Sandomierski as his replacement.
Szczesny, 21, was in the Arsenal team beaten 2-1 by arch-rivals Tottenham Hotspur in the North London derby on Sunday, coming in for some criticism for conceding Tottenham's 73rd minute winner when he allowed Kyle Walker's long-range shot to elude his grasp.
Szczesny will now join his Arsenal team mates Laurent Koscielny, Thomas Vermaelen, Johan Djourou, Abou Diaby and Jack Wilshere on the sidelines as well as Bacary Sagna who suffered a broken leg against Spurs on Sunday.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will be hoping that all but Wilshere and Sagna, who face five and three months out respectively, will be back for Arsenal's next League match at home to Sunderland in two weeks' time.
Poland, who co-host Euro 2012 with Ukraine next summer, have qualified automatically for the finals and are travelling to South Korea for a friendly on Friday before an away match in Belarus on Oct. 11.
Attacking midfielder Ludovic Obraniak of Lille is also out of the squad with an injury and has been replaced by Janusz Gol of Legia Warsaw. (Reporting by Mike Collett, editing by Justin Palmer)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: October 03, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »
Every season Arsenal seems to have the longest injury list...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: October 03, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »
I know. Something has to be wrong. No team could be this unlucky.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: October 04, 2011, 01:16:17 AM »
Thought I would throw my 15 cents in there about the situation .... the chant to Adebayor is wrong and no man should be subjected to that .. plain talk.
Unfortunately for us to maintain our levels the young players are not going to be given time to grow up and be sheltered ... the cream comes to the fore .. always.

Coquerine has come back good ... from the man united fiasco .... and playing well  ...     I've been told that he can play wingback as well if need be so he can provide some cover for Sagna (get well soon) .... I'm seeing the lil signs off pieces of the puzzle coming together.

Some players need to be pulled from the firing line .. Ramsey being one  of them and Walcott being the other. Walcott did nothing and he didn't want the ball  a major disappointment .... Ramsey on the other hand wanted the ball but couldnt deliver ... I like the kid he doesnt give up but he's not quite there yet.

Gibbs is growing up  ... Mertsaker believe it or not is improving coming to grips with the pace of the game
Song has always been and remains one of my favorite players.

Right now Arsenal needs a spark that the older players are not giving ... Arsharvin is a shadow of himself and should remain on the sidelines .. if we're going to die then lets die with youth .. release Ryo and  Ox  ... right now our attacking mid is non existent and no one is linking with Van Persie who is looking more and more frustrated... and right fully so.  Gervinho is working hard and he keeps working it will come I don't think he is doing that badly .... The middle three one of two things has to happen you either bring coquerine in with song and push Arteta to the attacking midfield role or bring in Rosicky for Ramsey ... truth is he is the only player on this team that creates openings for the forwards regardless of what people say.Ox has scored in his last two games and doesnt look as lost as walcott curently does bring him in. Jenkinson looks a little short on confidence but he didnt do as badly as people thought ... I mean he was facing Bale one of the faster players in the league we can cut him a little slack ... The injuries will clear up and we will get better ... no sense in being a fan if yuh only there for the highs and not the lows  .. knock on wood Gibbs and Van P are staying healthy so far!!!
Other than maybe man city and man united..... which team could survive with this much players injured out?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:23:42 PM by Ngozi »

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: October 04, 2011, 07:15:22 AM »
I know. Something has to be wrong. No team could be this unlucky.

all dem men can't be made of glass... they should look at the training.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: October 04, 2011, 07:20:18 AM »
Other than maybe man city and man united..... which team could survive with this much players injured out?

Many would argue that Arsenal hasn't "survived" ... unless you're point was to say that they've haven't survived but yuh couldn't reasonably expect them to.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: October 04, 2011, 07:27:09 AM »
Ngozi I like your sense of perspective but it real tough boy! This injury crisis season after season is just crippling. 1 starter at centre back and 2 left backs battling for top spot and then is all backups and makeshift! Plus the only 2 midfielders with strength on the ball (Diaby and Wilshere) are chronically injured.

Positionally I agree with you except for Arteta as attacking mid. I don't think he would play well there. Might be worth a try though. Nothing else seems to be working.

I watched Song's postgame interview on Arsenal.com and he was talking like he has lost his patience. I also read Pat Rice blow out the squad after the game. It was real annoying watching an Arsenal side playing inside itself lose narrowly to a Tottenham side playing near the limit of its abilities. Even with our injury record Arsenal had no right losing that game. None whatsoever.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:09:10 PM by Dansteel - The Iceman »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: October 04, 2011, 07:43:34 AM »

Many would argue that Arsenal hasn't "survived" ... unless you're point was to say that they've haven't survived but yuh couldn't reasonably expect them to.
I thought that was his point. Personally I think the injury thing is only part of the story. This team lacking something. A string of substandard performances to me indicates there is something wrong with the players on the pitch.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: October 04, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »
I know it's a regrettable statement but the team lacking a go to man in the midfield someone who makes the team tick Man City has  Silva who floats and now Nasri , Tottenham has Modric, Man united has Nani and Anderson, Chelsea lampard, liverpool gerrard etc ..... We don't ... we have the best defensive mid in the business Song and good organiser in Arteta but we don't have the link, the spark that starts the offense .. in short we don't have 'Fabregas' ... the closest thing we have is Rosicky and he is in and out of the team  :(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:21:07 PM by Ngozi »

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: October 04, 2011, 01:25:01 PM »

Nah  my point is based on the fact that yes they are struggling but it aint about your position at the beginning of the season it's your position and the end. It aint over till it's over

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: October 06, 2011, 07:38:40 AM »
tell ya what, an underpar arsenal was only defeated by a spurs team playing hard almost to the limit of thier potential. and there in lies the difference.

arsenal are not clicking, flowing, making the runs, clinical, ruthless, hungry and slow.

we are not playing the arsenal way

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: October 06, 2011, 07:46:13 AM »
tell ya what, an underpar arsenal was only defeated by a spurs team playing hard almost to the limit of thier potential. and there in lies the difference.

Doens't matter what you're capable of doing if you're not doing it. 

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: October 06, 2011, 08:40:09 AM »

Doens't matter what you're capable of doing if you're not doing it. 
Agreed. The question is: "why aren't they?" Something seriously wrong with this side and I'm getting worried. They losing too many games to inferior teams.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: October 06, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »
I now seeing Ox score a hattrick for England U-21 against Iceland.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: October 06, 2011, 06:21:55 PM »
Iceland U21s 0 England U21s 3: match report

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/8811433/Iceland-U21s-0-England-U21s-3-match-report.html

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain scored a hat-trick as England’s perfect start to their latest European Under-21 Championship campaign continued with an easy win in Iceland on Thursday night.

The Arsenal winger ran riot in Reykjavik, scoring a quickfire first-half double before completing his treble shortly after the break.

The win maintained England’s 100 per cent start to their latest qualifying campaign, further banishing memories of the summer’s dismal finals in Denmark ahead of Monday’s trip to Norway. The only negatives were hamstring injuries to Nathan Delfouneso and Martyn Waghorn, who both limped off and appear doubtful for the next game.

This match was expected to be the first real test for Stuart Pearce’s new-look side, who routed Group Eight whipping boys Azerbaijan 6-0 in their opening qualifier last month.

Iceland had beaten England in their last meeting and had also reached this summer’s finals, but it soon became clear their current crop of youngsters was not up to that standard.

The visitors quickly assumed control and could easily have gone ahead three times in the opening 10 minutes. The returning Martin Kelly was denied by a fine save from Arnar Darri Petursson from Henri Lansbury’s corner.

Lansbury then released Marvin Sordell down the right but the Watford striker made a hash of his finish on his full debut. Kelly then narrowly failed to get his foot on another Lansbury corner but it was not long before England were in front as Oxlade-Chamberlain struck.

He pounced on a loose ball, raced goalward and coolly slotted home across the goalkeeper, who then gifted the 18-year-old his second three minutes later. Petursson spilt Delfouneso’s cross straight at the feet of Oxlade-Chamberlain, who passed the ball into the empty net.

England killed the contest within five minutes of the restart after more brilliance from the precocious Oxlade-Chamberlain. He easily beat two men before unleashing a cross-cum-shot from the tightest of angles which Petursson helped into the net.

Waghorn appeared to pull his hamstring on the hour mark and was carried off to be replaced by Josh McEachran.

Oxlade-Chamberlain was withdrawn for the final eight minutes, with Everton midfielder Ross Barkley coming on.

Iceland: A Petursson, K Jonsson (Steindorsson 54), Eyjolfsson, Laxdal, Snorrason, Valdimarsson, Sigurbjornsson, R Sigurjonsson, Margeirsson, Sverrisson (Hannesson 57), Johannsson.
Subs: AT Magnusson, Gudjonsson,H Magnusson, Thorarinsson, A Sigurjonsson.
Booked: Steindorsson, Valdimarsson.

England: Butland, Flanagan, Briggs, Dawson, Kelly, Oxlade-Chamberlain (Barkley 82), Rodwell, Henderson, Lansbury, Sordell, Delfouneso (Waghorn 24, McEachran 63).
Subs: Amos, Smith, Baker, Lowe.
Booked: Kelly.

Referee: C Turpin (France).

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: October 06, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
The kid scoring for fun it's criminal to leave him on the bench with ramsey and walcott playing that level of shit!!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: October 07, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »
The kid scoring for fun it's criminal to leave him on the bench with ramsey and walcott playing that level of shit!!
Cyah really see how Ramsey comes into it for him, unless you want to pull RVP back there and put someone else to strike with AOC on the wing. A member here was saying take off Ramsey and play RVP there with Theo going up front and AOC on the wing. Similar, in concept if not in quality, to the Rooney/Chicharito/Nani triangle United have.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: October 07, 2011, 08:18:24 AM »
By the way, Ramsey has, according to OPTA, created more goalscoring chances than any other Arsenal player this season (15) and has 3 assists out of 9. So he's not all bad.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: October 07, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »
By the way, Ramsey has, according to OPTA, created more goalscoring chances than any other Arsenal player this season (15) and has 3 assists out of 9. So he's not all bad.

If you compare how many chances he's created relative to his counterparts (on other teams) in the same role then it becomes more meaningful. 

Also meaningful is if you take the ratio of chances created by him relative to chances created by his other teammates, and compare that to the same ratio for his counterparts (on other teams) in the same role, relative to their team mates...

Those two statistics will give you a better sense of whether he's under or overperforming (in the creativity department)...and even that might only reveal the difference between how different teams are set up to attack. 

If he's occupies one of the main creative roles in the Arsenal line up it's pretty obvious that he would have created more goal scoring opportunities than his teammates....

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: October 07, 2011, 09:15:14 AM »

If you compare how many chances he's created relative to his counterparts (on other teams) in the same role then it becomes more meaningful. 

Also meaningful is if you take the ratio of chances created by him relative to chances created by his other teammates, and compare that to the same ratio for his counterparts (on other teams) in the same role, relative to their team mates...

Those two statistics will give you a better sense of whether he's under or overperforming (in the creativity department)...and even that might only reveal the difference between how different teams are set up to attack. 

If he's occupies one of the main creative roles in the Arsenal line up it's pretty obvious that he would have created more goal scoring opportunities than his teammates....
All very good points. I was just highlighting something I read that I thought was interesting. He has impressed me only in patches this season. Other times he has been tootoo. I think he genuinely has more ability than Wilshere even but if you can't do it when you need to...

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: October 07, 2011, 09:16:23 AM »
By the way, South Korea v Poland friendly ended 2-2. Park Ju Yung scored both S. Korea goals. On Fabianski.  :banginghead:

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: October 07, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »

Excellent points but creating chances can be multiplied if he can't link the attack with the midfield more effectively.... he has been given that creative role and though I dont question his work ethic he's very ineffective ... miscontrolling,  poorly weighted passes , poor shooting I don't rate him!!

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: October 07, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
Cyah really see how Ramsey comes into it for him, unless you want to pull RVP back there and put someone else to strike with AOC on the wing. A member here was saying take off Ramsey and play RVP there with Theo going up front and AOC on the wing. Similar, in concept if not in quality, to the Rooney/Chicharito/Nani triangle United have.

The truth is I would either do the midfield like this   Coquerine and Song as the two defensive mids and give Arteta the attacking role or Arteta and Song the two defensive mids and give Rosicky the attacking mid role and put AOC up top with Gervinho and RVP ..... Van Persie is our best scoring option no way I'm moving him from that role ..... it simply means the other players in their roles need to step up ... I fear if we don't improve he will leave  :( and I wouldnt blame him. If we had done better last season we wouldnt have lost our two key mids and now we're probably gonna lose Hazard to  Real madrid as well although in retrospect I'm not certain he would be a great fit for arsenal ... he's like an expensive luxury we need someone for that attacking mid role  .. who plays like Gourcouff or a similar type player .. I don't think Mata would have been a good fit in this team either.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:29:40 AM by Ngozi »

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #4766 on: October 07, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »

The truth is I would either do the midfield like this   Coquerine and Song as the two defensive mids and give Arteta the attacking role or Arteta and Song the two defensive mids and give Rosicky the attacking mid role and put AOC up top with Gervinho and RVP ..... Van Persie is our best scoring option no way I'm moving him from that role ..... it simply means the other players in their roles need to step up ...

Some time ago I would have been with you on the Rosicky call but I am starting to lose faith in him. He has a lot better technique than Ramsey and you see it in his turns and first touch, but he is missing something that I can't quite put a finger on in terms of creativity. I almost feel like Rosicky has looked better when playing on the wing than in the middle. I like the idea of Arteta and Song holding with RVP sitting behind the main striker. But if not RVP, I would put a mobile player like Benayoun, Chamberlain or even Gervinho behind the striker. Most times Ramsey gets the ball under pressure you can expect a backwards pass, those other men that I name have more ability to get out of a tight situation and cause the opposition defense a little more panic. Rosicky has it too and I would love to see the man get back to where we know he could be. But of late I find him either too inconsistent or lacking in terms of final product.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:10:34 PM by dwn »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: October 07, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »
Rosicky is one of those players who has been injured too much and just doesn't have it anymore.  He plays well within himself probably because his body can't do the things his mind wants to do.  He's a genuis baller but kinda burnt out I think - never fully fit and always struggling to find back form - players like that are always playing catch up because it always takes a while to get back to form after injury, and of course there's the risk of getting injured again while you're doing so.... little mozart was his nickname in the Dortmund days because of his ability to Orchestrate but I think his best days are way behind him...Kinda reminds me of Aimar - loads of talent but always in the rehab room.  It's take a toll after a while.  Watch Aimar play for Benfica now - real technique, ball sense for days...but can't really elevate himself physically to play at the level that separates good players from proper game changers. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:34:54 PM by kicker »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: October 07, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
The truth is I would either do the midfield like this   Coquerine and Song as the two defensive mids and give Arteta the attacking role or Arteta and Song the two defensive mids and give Rosicky the attacking mid role and put AOC up top with Gervinho and RVP ..... Van Persie is our best scoring option no way I'm moving him from that role ..... it simply means the other players in their roles need to step up ... I fear if we don't improve he will leave  :( and I wouldnt blame him. If we had done better last season we wouldnt have lost our two key mids and now we're probably gonna lose Hazard to  Real madrid as well although in retrospect I'm not certain he would be a great fit for arsenal ... he's like an expensive luxury we need someone for that attacking mid role  .. who plays like Gourcouff or a similar type player .. I don't think Mata would have been a good fit in this team either.
My thought was a Song/Arteta double pivot (Like the Pirlo/Ambrosini of AC Milan or Alonso/Mascherano at Liverpool) with RvP or Arshavin operating as a #10. Always thought of Arteta as more of a deep lying playmaker (a regista as the Italians call it). Walcott or Chamakh as a centre forward with Gervinho and Chamberlain on the wings to provide pace and trickery and force defences back. Of course this would involve an improvement in finishing from Walcott but would give the #10 much more room to operate. The modular player would be Arteta where more running could be provided by Diaby/Wilshere or more defensive steel by Coquelin/Frimpong.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: October 07, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »
Wenger need tuh subscribe to this thread. 

1]; } ?>