March 29, 2024, 06:56:10 AM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 892002 times)

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FORWARD
« Reply #4770 on: October 08, 2011, 12:28:18 AM »
Wenger need tuh subscribe to this thread. 
:rotfl:
Breds, when I went to the Swansea game I try to tell him but Security move real dread!
Victoria concordia crescit

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: October 10, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »
Walcott’s not bad, everyone just expected more
by Michael Cox

http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/opinions/walcotts-not-bad-everyone-just-expected-more/

When you constantly hear about how wonderful something is, and then you finally see it for yourself, it’s bound to be underwhelming.

Nowhere is this truer than in football, a pastime so enjoyable partly because of the surprise element, the unpredictability. Think back to your favourite ever goal, and it’s probably not the best goal you’ve ever seen, it’s about the context. You probably saw it live (at the game, or on television), and it was so great because you weren’t expecting it.

This isn’t my favourite goal, but here’s an example. I remember Federico Macheda’s debut goal for Manchester United, in a 3-2 win over Aston Villa in 2009. I was watching the game in a pub with a friend, and when Macheda came off the bench in a desperate attempt for United to get a goal, while 2-1 down in a crucial game in the Premier League run-in, we both agreed that we’d never heard of him before.

At 2-2, in the third minute of injury time, Macheda picked the ball up, turned his marker, and curled the ball into the net from the edge of the box. We certainly weren’t expecting that – indeed, considering we hadn’t heard of the player until 10 minutes beforehand, we couldn’t have remotely guessed it might happen. It was a brilliant goal, a brilliant moment, and when later meeting up with another friend – who, crucially, hadn’t seen the game – we described it in great detail.

When he finally saw the goal that night on Match Of The Day 2, he was a little disappointed. We’d gone on about the goal so much, that he was expecting the greatest goal he’d ever seen, when in reality it was a good, if not sensational, strike. His impression of the goal was entirely influenced by the hype he’d heard before he’d even seen it.

For that one goal, read the entire career of Theo Walcott. Unless you were one of the few who saw his early season appearances for Southampton in 2005/06, you probably hadn’t seen him play when he was, ludicrously, included in England’s 2006 World Cup squad by Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Remember hearing the news? Walcott? How good must he be to be in the World Cup squad despite never playing a Premier League game? Fairly sensational, you’d have thought. That night, a radio pundit reasoned that even if he didn’t play a single minute at the World Cup, it wouldn’t be a problem – he was going to be a superstar, and would be getting valuable experience of a major tournament by being in the squad. Like Ronaldo in 1994. Yes, Ronaldo. We’ve got the next Ronaldo on our hands – oh, assuming we don’t get to see him play. How can any player possibly live up to that?

Since 2006, many have been waiting for the next Ronaldo. We’re never going to get that from Walcott, but we do have a player that has proved rather useful for Arsenal over the past two seasons. In a team renowned for their tendency to pass without going anywhere, Walcott provides a direct option on the flank. He makes forward runs, stretches the play, and creates gaps for others to exploit. His relationship with Robin van Persie, Arsenal’s key player, is excellent – Walcott’s last seven assists have been for the Dutchman. Walcott has his faults – his decision-making is often poor, he remains inconsistent, and without his pace he’d be a fairly limited player… yet he fulfils a very useful role.

I wish I hadn’t told my friend so much about Macheda’s goal, and Walcott will wish he wasn’t thrust into the limelight so early. First impressions are important – and in football, an entire player’s career can be judged in relation to an unrealistic early expectation.
Michael Cox is the editor of Zonalmarking.net

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: October 14, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »
here come sunderland, no slouch of a team and desperate for wins, we need to man up in this gam and take no effin prisoners! :pissedoff:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: October 15, 2011, 09:22:50 PM »
Here's hoping Jenks can step up. We need him to now. Hope Sagna was schooling him because nobody on the side has a better work ethic than Bac.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: October 16, 2011, 05:13:51 AM »
Rosicky at Dortmund & CR was a pick up and run at opposition type of player. Once defenders were committed he would dish little passes for his team mates. In other words he was never a really creative passer of the ball (over distance). In truth he was never a goal scorer, so its not like he could contribute consistently in this department. His injuries looks to have weighed heavily on his mental strength.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: October 16, 2011, 07:34:54 AM »
Yorke on Sky Sports mangling Szczesny name.

Score is 1-1. Typical Arsenal game, play all over Sunderland, only score 1, then Sunderland come into the game. Szczesny get string up by a fantastic free kick. The back line, once again looks shaky.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:40:36 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: October 16, 2011, 07:52:51 AM »
I guess my intrigue with Arsenal right now is to see how much better they can get ... I maintain my stance that right now until Wilshire comes back .. Rosicky is the creative element missing in the midfield in place of Ramsey! Walcott used to give us something on the right flank speed and width .. he's gone missing :( .. I liked our possession players are beginning to identify themselves.  Song- enforcer , Arteta - organiser , Rosicky - creativity.

Our forward line is the same and the fact that Walcott is struggling is killing us.
Defensively it's starting to come together .. Jenkinson actually makes the runs that walcott needs to make and he is actually a very decent crosser of the ball ... but he needs to not make those mistakes defensively .. he's shaky . Theoretically we can improve those areas by pushing Kos to rightback when Vermalean comes back and sitting Walcott and trying Ox ......
The possession is starting to return  ... come on boys lets finish this team off!

Oh yeah and Scez best goalie in England!!!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:54:42 AM by Ngozi »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: October 16, 2011, 07:58:57 AM »
Rosicky in this 2nd half has been running at players. Arteta has been invisible though.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: October 16, 2011, 08:10:59 AM »
Van Persie to the rescue again.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: October 16, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »
Simply amazing RVP............. :applause:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: October 16, 2011, 08:25:32 AM »
I don't know where the ref get 5 minutes of extra time eh. But Arsenal squeak through a win.
Steve Bruce must have a moving company on speed dial...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: October 16, 2011, 08:26:58 AM »
RVP master class  :applause:
Arshavin should be given props. Prozac work today  ;D
Song was very solid
Did Walcott even play today?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: October 16, 2011, 08:53:55 AM »
RVP master class  :applause:
Arshavin should be given props. Prozac work today  ;D
Song was very solid
Did Walcott even play today?

RVP is too much!!! He strives on pressure!!
Arsharvin did really well I liked the hustle ... I actually thought subbing Gibbs was a good move by Arsene  Santos did well.
Walcott only plays well when we are on top ... in tough games he goes missing  basically he's a pussy.
He actually did better when he switched to the left and when we scored!
Also I've observed that he isnt running into the space anymore he's dropping off so he can get it to run at the man and Richardson was reading him all day and matching him for pace.

Song is the best def mid in the league!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: October 16, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »
Thought Arshavin and Rosicky both looked very good today. Rosicky looked like it was 2006 again. As for RvP well what can I say other than he shoulda score 4. Song is a top class defensive midfielder (or is he a box to box midfielder now?). Mertesacker looks more aggressive than in the past few games and is fitting in nicely. Theo continues to frustrate. Gervinho as well. Jenks is actually a decent attacking fullback but didn't have much defensive work to do today. Koscielny had a shaky moment or 2 but walked back into the team without many problems. I think Gibbs got injured, but Santos looked better anyway. The man have some technique boy. I don't think the win was as close as the scoreline says. Sunderland were on top later in the 1st half but Arsenal wasted a LOT of chances earlier in the first half and in most of the second. I hope we're back in business now.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:31:57 AM by Dansteel - The Iceman »

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: October 16, 2011, 06:30:04 PM »
Thought Arshavin and Rosicky both looked very good today. Rosicky looked like it was 2006 again. As for RvP well what can I say other than he shoulda score 4. Song is a top class defensive midfielder (or is he a box to box midfielder now?). Mertesacker looks more aggressive than in the past few games and is fitting in nicely. Theo continues to frustrate. Gervinho as well. Jenks is actually a decent attacking fullback but didn't have much defensive work to do today. Koscielny had a shaky moment or 2 but walked back into the team without many problems. I think Gibbs got injured, but Santos looked better anyway. The man have some technique boy. I don't think the win was as close as the scoreline says. Sunderland were on top later in the 1st half but Arsenal wasted a LOT of chances earlier in the first half and in most of the second. I hope we're back in business now.

I wouldnt say we back in bsuiness yet... but yuh could slowly see the team starting to gell and get it's identity lemme put it this way Manu not hitting we 8 again that team is def not this team!!!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4785 on: October 16, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »
I wouldnt say we back in bsuiness yet... but yuh could slowly see the team starting to gell and get it's identity lemme put it this way Manu not hitting we 8 again that team is def not this team!!!

That team that get blow out from Man U was the weakest team I ever see Arsenal field and I been following them since Wrighty joined from Palace. We not in full flight yet is true. We need to not be so dependent on RvP for goals. The rest of men need to step up. Give Ox some defensive training and let him challenge Theo for his spot because the man frustrating the hell outta me. And where the hell is Park?!? He pullin a Tevez or what? Man scoring goals like it goin outta style for South Korea but no sight of him for the club.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #4786 on: October 16, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »

That team that get blow out from Man U was the weakest team I ever see Arsenal field and I been following them since Wrighty joined from Palace. We not in full flight yet is true. We need to not be so dependent on RvP for goals. The rest of men need to step up. Give Ox some defensive training and let him challenge Theo for his spot because the man frustrating the hell outta me. And where the hell is Park?!? He pullin a Tevez or what? Man scoring goals like it goin outta style for South Korea but no sight of him for the club.

Guys like Chamberlain and Park will get their chance in due time. I think Wenger just assimilating men slowly and trying to find a balance between new players and old. The starting eleven already had Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Arteta, and Gervinho. That's four new men. Add Santos and Benayoun in the second half that's a squad where half your players are new to playing together, and in most cases new to the premier league. Good news is the depth is there.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: October 17, 2011, 02:07:19 AM »
I thought Arsenal looked distinctly average short on confidence once Sunderland scored and who did Everton sent down instead of Arteta.  Long season by Arsenals standards.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: October 17, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »
How many of Arsenal's attacks were broken up by Sunderland fouls yesterday? I was just reading an article about how it seemed a part of their defensive strategy since Arsenal's free kicks aren't that dangerous.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: October 17, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »
In retrospect I think Arsenal's let down yesterday was distinctly our wing play of which Walcott was an absolute flop! Gervinho created  Van P's goal and his effort and persistence will see him coming into his own ... but Walcott jeeez. I think he might get rested vs Marseille.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: October 17, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
And cue the braying...

Arsène Wenger admits 'half the Arsenal dressing room wanted to leave'

• 'Players go to Manchester City because they pay much better'
• Wenger believes Arsenal can still finish in the top four

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/18/arsene-wenger-arsenal-dressing-room

Arsène Wenger believes Arsenal are steadily recovering their poise after a desperate summer, which saw "half the dressing room wanting to leave". Despite a traumatic start to the campaign the Arsenal manager remains confident his team have the time and ability to reclaim a place in the Premier League's top four.

The 2-1 victory over Sunderland on Sunday restored Arsenal to the top half of the table, only six points off fourth-placed Newcastle, with a Champions League group game at Marseille to come on Wednesday. Wenger conceded the top two, Manchester City and Manchester United, are too far away to catch and suggested players have joined the current league leaders less for the chance to win trophies but rather more for the salaries City are prepared to offer.

Wenger, who lost Gaël Clichy and Samir Nasri to the Etihad Stadium this summer, was asked to reflect on comments made by his former midfielder Emmanuel Petit last week in which he suggested sales were "killing" the club.

"No, it's not that [players have to leave to win titles]," said Wenger on the French radio station RTL. "The problem isn't that. Frankly, if you compare what Manchester City have won in the past and what Arsenal have won, then you don't go to Manchester City to win titles. Players go to Manchester City because they pay much better than Arsenal.

"They are a force clearly, because they have exceptional financial clout, so it's not surprising what they've done. Look at Paris Saint-Germain. They have more money than anyone else in France and they're top of the league. There's always a financial logic behind who ends up being successful in any league. If Barcelona or Real Madrid paid three times less than Malaga, players would go to Malaga. That's always the case. It's as simple as that. So when a player has the choice between two clubs who have the same ambitions, if he can earn three times as much at one club, he'll go there. That's logical."

That last response was given in direct relation to a question posed on Nasri's defection, with the France international having joined Cesc Fábregas in leaving the Emirates over the close season. "It was a very difficult summer because half the dressing room wanted to leave," said Wenger. "You're preparing for a season where you don't know who's going to come in, the players who are staying are asking themselves what's going on at the club, you've got a pre-season tour of Asia. It was extraordinarily difficult. What saved us is that we're a club that are extremely solid and united. Other clubs would surely have gone to pieces in those circumstances.

"What people forget is that we lost three key players because we've also lost [Jack] Wilshere. Three who were important in our midfield. Nasri, Fábregas and Wilshere have all been lost and they were the basis of our midfield last season. We've had to reconstruct our midfield entirely because Wilshere won't be back until January. Still, we've disappointed this season so far, given what's expected of us, but I think we're on the up again. The problem is you can only climb the table slowly. We're not too far away in terms of points from fourth place. We're too far away [12 and 10 points] from the top two."

Arsenal are yet to secure Robin van Persie on new terms at the Emirates. The current captain is into the final two years of his current deal, prompting fears of a repeat of the Nasri scenario.

"For me being professional means that right up until the last day you are at a club you give 100% to that club," added Wenger. "Today, two days before we play at Marseille, I'm not asking myself whether Van Persie is going to extend his contract in 18 months' time. For me what is important is that he plays well for us on Wednesday. After that the next match. That's how I think. He's scored 28 goals in 34games, so they're exceptional statistics. He's got a contract for another 18 months and he's a man who is attached to our club. I'm not especially thinking about losing him."
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:08:58 PM by Dansteel - The Iceman »

giggsy11

« Reply #4791 on: October 18, 2011, 06:36:55 AM »
When will Wenger actually invest in some decent wingers instead of trying tuh get blood from a stone in the form of Walcott and co?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: October 18, 2011, 06:44:13 AM »
When will Wenger actually invest in some decent wingers instead of trying tuh get blood from a stone in the form of Walcott and co?

Thought that was the point of Gervinho? Ox and Ryo as well, young as they are.

giggsy11

« Reply #4793 on: October 18, 2011, 06:50:02 AM »

[/quot

Oh,ho, I didnt realize Gervinho was a winger. I thought he was a forward.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: October 18, 2011, 07:02:12 AM »
What would you do if you had the fastest man in the EPL? There's nothing out there as fast as Walcott he's infuriating though!!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: October 18, 2011, 07:12:29 AM »

Oh,ho, I didnt realize Gervinho was a winger. I thought he was a forward.

Maybe a wide forward. He spent most of his time at Lille playing on the flanks. Not a pure winger but who on Arsenal they gonna cross to with the striker dropping into midfield?

giggsy11

« Reply #4796 on: October 18, 2011, 07:37:20 AM »
What would you do if you had the fastest man in the EPL? There's nothing out there as fast as Walcott he's infuriating though!!

I guess Wenger and Capello were thinking something similar; stick him on the wing since he appears clueless in the role of striker. I really don't envy you with having to deal with Arshavin and Walcott. I can see Walcott becoming the next SWP.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: October 18, 2011, 07:57:27 AM »

Put him upfront as a striker, or give him an extended run wide left (where he looked his best) and if it does not work out, well its time to move on.
Wingers and wide players need to get service, but they also need to be very smart in the timing of their movement. Pires was not the quickest, but he could beat both ways, deliver a perfect pass & his finishing was deadly. Walcott has added very little to his game since age 16, that alone shows he lacks something.
                                              Thomas Paine

giggsy11

« Reply #4798 on: October 18, 2011, 08:05:06 AM »

Put him upfront as a striker, or give him an extended run wide left (where he looked his best) and if it does not work out, well its time to move on.
Wingers and wide players need to get service, but they also need to be very smart in the timing of their movement. Pires was not the quickest, but he could beat both ways, deliver a perfect pass & his finishing was deadly. Walcott has added very little to his game since age 16, that alone shows he lacks something.

I don't think Wenger has any plans of playing him as a striker anytime soon.  I read an interview where Wenger stated that  'Walcott will continue to play on the wing because he doesn't feel he is ready to play as a striker'. He also said that 'Walcott still young and in due time he will eventually move to play as a striker'. Hmmm,  sounds like Walcott will be his pet/long term project. 

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: October 18, 2011, 01:52:42 PM »

Observer I hear ya but I would never put him upfront now!  Imagine your team under pressure and you as a striker is that extra second of rest or relief and you pass to him and he either miscontrol or get body off the ball despite having all the speed in the world.
The only viable option until he wake up from this little spell he in is to play him on the left.
Van Persie as thin as he is plays a decent post up game and he sees the game on both sides Walcott is tunnel vision right through.
if he was smarter he would be able to anticipate and start his runs sooner and time them better.
lord I hope he doh end up like Shawn Wright Phillip ... hate players like that.
But I think they need to bench him!!

1]; } ?>