April 18, 2024, 01:10:02 PM

Author Topic: T&T's white Warrior.  (Read 22854 times)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
T&T's white Warrior.
« on: April 21, 2006, 08:43:09 AM »
T&T's white Warrior.
By: FIFAworldcup.com.
[/size]

Germany 2006 will be a whirl of firsts for midfielder Chris Birchall. The first white player to line up for Trinidad and Tobago in the tiny Caribbean country's first finals, English-born 'Chrissy' will also be the first-ever Port Vale player to kick a ball at a FIFA World Cupâ„¢.
Named in Leo Beenhakker's provisional finals squad on 13 April, Birchall is virtually assured a spot in Germany this June. Having long since given up on dreams of playing for the country of his birth, England, the 21-year-old midfielder has somehow found his way on to the world's biggest stage with Trinidad and Tobago. And in a dramatic twist, he will get the chance to play against his beloved England this summer when the two sides meet in Group B.
Birchall's story is not the most straightforward or conventional but, as they say in his native land, it is a funny old game. In the warm-up before a Port Vale match against Wrexham in April last year, Birchall, who plays in the third tier of the English league pyramid, was approached by towering opposition centre-back Dennis Lawrence. Upon being asked to confirm his mother's birthplace, the winger's hesitant response to the unusual query was "Port of Spain, Trinidad". Big Dennis flashed a smile, walked away, and the rest is history.
After the match, the T&T centre-back put Birchall in touch with his country's football authorities and before long he found himself on a plane for Central America and FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Panama and Mexico – a long way from home in all senses for this softly-spoken Staffordshire native.
Stories of a local lad flying the flag for Port Vale in the international arena immediately saturated the newspaper columns back home. Only once had the club – who enjoy the support of pop star Robbie Williams – been able to claim a FIFA World Cup player as one of their own. And when Robbie Earle lined up for Jamaica at France 98, he had already long made the move from Vale Park to Wimbledon.
Happily Birchall's arrival in the T&T squad coincided with the hiring of Leo Beenhakker as head coach, in place of the struggling Bertille St Clair. The former Real Madrid, Ajax and Netherlands coach saw a spark in the young Englishman and immediately made him a first-team regular in a move that helped turn around the team's poor start to the final qualifying round in the North, Central American and Caribbean Zone.
Though a number of the Soca Warriors are British-born – including goalkeeper Shaka Hislop – Birchall stands out for his fair hair and pale complexion. But with eight straight starts and two goals, notably a 30-yard stunner in the decisive play-off against Bahrain, Birchall has settled quickly into the fold.

Just one of the Warriors.
Despite some initial worries, Birchall was accepted with open arms. "That was one of the main things I was worried about, but everything has been fine," said Birchall, whose Trinidad-born mother Jenny was flown out as a guest of honour by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) for a qualifier against Mexico. "Not only was I a white guy playing for Trinidad and Tobago but I was also from England – so that is why it has been so great the way I have been accepted. I have been to the local nightclubs and met a lot of the local people."
And when prodded about the prospect of playing in front of mammoth crowds against some of the planet's finest players – including England – at the finals, Birchall is simply moved by the enormity of it all. "I still can't believe it," said the winger, who plays in a more central role for Trinidad. "Me playing on the biggest stage against the best players in the world.
"In particular, I can't wait for the England game. I still want England to do well – if they don't knock us out. I think they have one of the best squads they have ever had and with the players they've got they could go far."
With the help of veteran coach Beenhakker, Birchall is keen on his adoptive country's chances of getting out of a tough Group B, alongside the English, Sweden and Paraguay. "I don't think anyone expected us to qualify in the first place," Birchall said.
"I think even the lads were a bit surprised but Beenhakker is not the kind of guy who is going to go anywhere just to make up the numbers. He has brought a lot of confidence to the team, so who knows? Nine times out of ten you would expect England and Sweden to get through but if we can get a point from England or Sweden then who knows what will happen?"
The energetic youngster will be expected to do the ball-winning work behind the experienced trio of Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy and Stern John when the finals kick off on 9 June. But whatever his role, the giant arenas of Germany and the unrivalled atmosphere of a FIFA World Cup promise an experience to savour for Staffordshire's favourite Soca Warrior.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 08:45:40 AM by Flex »
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline dotless007

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T's white Warrior.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 09:41:27 AM »
 :applause: nice read

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 09:53:46 AM »
Way to go Brich...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 09:54:59 AM »
I'll be cheering on de White boi but ah wonder if he go sell out of sell guns when he see we crushing England

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 10:14:36 AM »
Nice to see so many of our players getting profiled on Fifa World Cup's Front page... first Stern, then Lawrence, then Latapy, now Birchall... I hope that this is indicative of the good things that are about to happen.
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline ladywarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 10:23:14 AM »
 I'm so proud of Birchall and the connection he has made with the players and the country. His story is one of the things that is right with T&T.
The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 10:28:43 AM »
Nice Read fuh real. GO Birchie the whole of T&T support you man, you ain't no waggonist you come and helped us when we were in a hole but now is your time to shine. BLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 10:30:36 AM »
All the best Birchall. Now go jam a goal in England ass.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 10:52:21 AM »
these fricking journalists who love to focus on the fact that birchall white getting real sickening.

i wonder if chinese league star player kum yung ho turned out to have trini roots and was drafted by the SW if they would make such a fuss.

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 11:22:29 AM »
Go Soca Warriors! It doesn't matter whether, white, black, red, sapodilla brown or yellow! It doesn't matter what the media plays up or who they play down! Once all man jack sees himself as a Soca Warrior and truly understands and appreciates that they take with them out on the field in Germany the love and pride of all Trinis, I good.

But I wonder what was really going on in Birchall's head when broached with the prospect of playing for Trini when we were clearly struggling and there was no guarantee that we would make it to the big stage? What really made him to decide to play for a country that he had never visited and had no real connection with? Clearly Trini meant something for his mother but what could it really have meant to him then. I wonder what does Trini mean to him now.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 11:25:06 AM »
The mid field line up has come a long way from that opening game against USA

WAY TO GO BIRCHIE. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YUH BUSSIN SHOT ON ENGLAND

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 11:33:15 AM »
Do yu think Birchall  would stand to sign with a club in the EPL? With two expansion clubs coming up to the ELP, would one of those be a good fit for "me mum"?

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 11:51:31 AM »
does anyone call him "Chrissy"   ??? ??? ???

nice read though.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 12:06:59 PM »
Go Soca Warriors! It doesn't matter whether, white, black, red, sapodilla brown or yellow! It doesn't matter what the media plays up or who they play down! Once all man jack sees himself as a Soca Warrior and truly understands and appreciates that they take with them out on the field in Germany the love and pride of all Trinis, I good.

I agree wit yuh. It really doh matter,,,maybe if was ah local white fellah like a stollmeyer grandson or someting there might not be any articles at all
but all these articles seem to be alluding to 'if it wasnt for this english fellah, T&T would never get close to the world cup'

On the other hand, if it wasnt for that wicked scorcher Birchie blaze on Bahrain.......................
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 12:20:12 PM »
...  Exactly!

I say let them paint it however they want to, once our boys go out there and give a good account of themselves they will be doing us proud and nobody can take that away from us.

Offline BahJon

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 01:24:43 PM »
Andre I agree with you 100%

The story heading I think is inappropriate, especilly with all the Racism talk in Fifa now...

In light of that same talk why yuh think they can't put a more positive spin on it and show that how he was embraced is representative of our once touted attribute of being cosmopolitan...or is that now played out...????
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 01:28:03 PM by BahJon »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 01:33:28 PM »
I agree with the notion that given the focus on anti racism discourse, that there continue to be a perpetuation of this myth  of white supremacy even in its most subtle representations. This type of reporting of  Mr. Bichall's ethnicity is not the core of  the team's success nor his personal triumphs.

Do these writers make a big deal  when black players chose to represent European countries like France , Holland, England and even Germany ?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 04:28:02 PM »
I agree with the notion that given the focus on anti racism discourse, that there continue to be a perpetuation of this myth  of white supremacy even in its most subtle representations. This type of reporting of  Mr. Bichall's ethnicity is not the core of  the team's success nor his personal triumphs.

Do these writers make a big deal  when black players chose to represent European countries like France , Holland, England and even Germany ?

YES...especially when they were not the norm. Black players seem almost commonplace in many parts of Europe now, but many still get a lot of attention (positive and negative) because of their skin color. I have watched more than a few specials on Assamoah being the first black man to represent Germany and there has been a lot written about the different ethnicities that made up the Champion French team in 1998. Anybody with different physical features in a high profile profession like football will get special attention...Up to today you can read tonnes about Dida trying to be the first black goalkeeping to start for Brazil since Barbosa in 1950. Barbosa was unfairly blamed for the 1-2 loss to Uruguay in the Maracana in the 1950 final and since then, even the multicultural Brazilians have never started a black goalie in a WC..it is a big story in Brazil....Wiat and see...the first time a black man plays for Argentina, it will not go unnoticed...

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 06:02:49 PM »

YES...especially when they were not the norm. Black players seem almost commonplace in many parts of Europe now, but many still get a lot of attention (positive and negative) because of their skin color. I have watched more than a few specials on Assamoah being the first black man to represent Germany and there has been a lot written about the different ethnicities that made up the Champion French team in 1998. Anybody with different physical features in a high profile profession like football will get special attention...Up to today you can read tonnes about Dida trying to be the first black goalkeeping to start for Brazil since Barbosa in 1950. Barbosa was unfairly blamed for the 1-2 loss to Uruguay in the Maracana in the 1950 final and since then, even the multicultural Brazilians have never started a black goalie in a WC..it is a big story in Brazil....Wiat and see...the first time a black man plays for Argentina, it will not go unnoticed...

i waiting fuh dat dey...

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 06:04:28 PM »
I am so fed up with the whole Birchall story already. I am fed up with the stereotypical babble, making us look like some poor ass ghetto in the caribbean. If any journalist out there really wanted to do a profile on TT, all they have to do is a google search, and link up to the many, many sites that explain what we're all about.

They talk about cricket-mad islands. Sorry, but where? I am sorry, but I am a girl, and all we played in school was football. Why don't they talk about the vibrant schools football league in TT, that has produced some of the most gifted players from the caribbean? Why don't they talk about the fact that we once hosted the U-17 World Cup? Why don't they talk about the fact that there are more stadia and football fields than beaches in TT? Why don't they talk about the fact that more youth leave our shores on football scholarships and club contracts every year than any other island? Oh gorm, make an effort and do some research nah!

They want to talk about thank god for the world cup giving us something to be happy about, and like we're so badly off that we need it. Why not talk about the fact that TT is the number one supplier of natural gas to the US? Why not talk about the fact that some of the largest production plants in the western hemisphere(outside of the US & Canada) are located in TT? Why not talk about the fact that TT has a literacy rate of 98%, not even england has that! Why not talk about the fact that the finance sector of TT either owns or runs most of the banking across the caribbean, and increasingly south american region?

In a way, I cannot wait for the world cup to actually start, so we can get on with the business of FOOTBALL, and let them talk about that for a change. ::)
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2006, 06:26:06 PM »
I am so fed up with the whole Birchall story already. I am fed up with the stereotypical babble, making us look like some poor ass ghetto in the caribbean. If any journalist out there really wanted to do a profile on TT, all they have to do is a google search, and link up to the many, many sites that explain what we're all about.

They talk about cricket-mad islands. Sorry, but where? I am sorry, but I am a girl, and all we played in school was football. Why don't they talk about the vibrant schools football league in TT, that has produced some of the most gifted players from the caribbean? Why don't they talk about the fact that we once hosted the U-17 World Cup? Why don't they talk about the fact that there are more stadia and football fields than beaches in TT? Why don't they talk about the fact that more youth leave our shores on football scholarships and club contracts every year than any other island? Oh gorm, make an effort and do some research nah!

They want to talk about thank god for the world cup giving us something to be happy about, and like we're so badly off that we need it. Why not talk about the fact that TT is the number one supplier of natural gas to the US? Why not talk about the fact that some of the largest production plants in the western hemisphere(outside of the US & Canada) are located in TT? Why not talk about the fact that TT has a literacy rate of 98%, not even england has that! Why not talk about the fact that the finance sector of TT either owns or runs most of the banking across the caribbean, and increasingly south american region?

In a way, I cannot wait for the world cup to actually start, so we can get on with the business of FOOTBALL, and let them talk about that for a change. ::)

WOW!!!.....I hear yuh sister...Yuh need to send this directly to them.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 07:27:17 PM »

nice...when yuh right, yuh right

but there is a time and a place for everything. you cannot expect much from a fluffy special interest football piece. I wouldn't read most football editorials to learn about the economical and cultural state of the world at large. And you cannot wait for foreigners to publicize the good of your own nation. your questions should not be 'why they doh write it'..it shoud be 'why we not writing it'.

Bless

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 07:35:03 PM »
Trust me boss, if I had an outlet I would definitely write an article or two. But I am not a journalist. And even if I were to write an article, one thing I learned living out here is that the "white man" (sorry to be non-PC) doesn't want to hear about any "third world" country living or doing better than them. They all think that we're poor, half-literate simpletons, farming somewhere, playing cricket on the beach, and the best thing to happen to us is that we've come on a plane to the "1st world!. Steups! ::)
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 08:25:43 PM »
Trust me boss, if I had an outlet I would definitely write an article or two. But I am not a journalist. And even if I were to write an article, one thing I learned living out here is that the "white man" (sorry to be non-PC) doesn't want to hear about any "third world" country living or doing better than them. They all think that we're poor, half-literate simpletons, farming somewhere, playing cricket on the beach, and the best thing to happen to us is that we've come on a plane to the "1st world!. Steups! ::)

didn't mean it as though the onus was on you. i was talking of the collective 'we'..as in we the people of T&T. you have a pretty narrow view of the 'white man', yet you expect people to have an enlightened view of us. "They all think that we're poor......"...sorry, they don't all think anything. Generalizations are a key ingredient of most bias. In a way, you're doing the same thing as the people you criticize by making them all out to be the same. Also, your defeatist tone is surprising, given your earlier posts.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2006, 12:26:38 AM »

didn't mean it as though the onus was on you. i was talking of the collective 'we'..as in we the people of T&T. you have a pretty narrow view of the 'white man', yet you expect people to have an enlightened view of us. "They all think that we're poor......"...sorry, they don't all think anything. Generalizations are a key ingredient of most bias. In a way, you're doing the same thing as the people you criticize by making them all out to be the same. Also, your defeatist tone is surprising, given your earlier posts.

quite frankly they are all ignorant and stereo-typical.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2006, 04:32:01 AM »

that's actually a stereotypical comment.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 04:34:00 AM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2006, 06:55:53 AM »

that's actually a stereotypical comment.

I was being sarcastic that was my aim bredda...

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2006, 07:56:02 AM »

One of the reasons I started writing for the World Cup Blog is because I wanted to present a view of T&T football - as seen by a Trini. I wrote about Birchall back in March (you can check it out here. This is a quote from the piece:

"Yes, but - he’s white. And? So are more than 60,000 people in Trinidad. The islands of T&T are hugely diverse, in both ethnic and religious terms. Our ancestors come from Africa, Asia and Europe. Our indigenous peoples - the many tribes who made up the Amerindians - survive today.

Trinidad and Tobago is a place of many complexities. Chris Birchall is a young man of many talents. Both have much to prove in June."

(UPDATE: Check the blog later for my followup on this piece, inspired by the discussions here)

Alot of people are ignorant, but not all of them are. Journalists are making an effort - I've been contacted by sites like svenskafans.com (Swedish) and people from all around the world - the latest, a Dutch reporter based in Brazil - who are doing their best to do research. Some of the topics you've mentioned - like the SSFL and our athletes' prowess around the world - are topics I've touched on and am going to do in greater detail in the coming weeks. You also have to give credit to writers like Flex, Shaun Fuentes, Kwame Laurence and Lasana for their amazing contributions to sports writing in Trinidad. Liburd is regularly syndicated in the UK press, and Laurence's writing has appeared in magazines like Caribbean Beat. We're doing our best, and it is an uphill struggle, but it's important to militate against the stereotypes. Don't fight yourself down r.e. writing - you'd be surprised how many people out there DO want to hear about us. If you need help or want to find out more about possible resources, just PM me. In the meanwhile, I might contact you for some quotes for an upcoming piece  :)

Keep good.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 06:24:12 PM by stacy-marie »
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2006, 08:00:07 AM »

but there is a time and a place for everything. you cannot expect much from a fluffy special interest football piece. I wouldn't read most football editorials to learn about the economical and cultural state of the world at large. And you cannot wait for foreigners to publicize the good of your own nation. your questions should not be 'why they doh write it'..it shoud be 'why we not writing it'.

Bless

True, but only to an extent. There is a huge amount of football writing out there that does just that - discuss the economic and cultural state of the world. Check out anything by Simon Kuper, and there's a decent book by Franklin Foer called How Football Explains the World. And if I even finish my dissertation then you could read that too  ;)

I totally agree with the last part though - we have to write our own stories. And we are.
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2006, 11:55:17 AM »

Bless

True, but only to an extent. There is a huge amount of football writing out there that does just that - discuss the economic and cultural state of the world. Check out anything by Simon Kuper, and there's a decent book by Franklin Foer called How Football Explains the World. And if I even finish my dissertation then you could read that too  ;)

I totally agree with the last part though - we have to write our own stories. And we are.

well said. My point was that there are different levels of journalism and we can't expect too much from the fluff. Thanks for the recommendation....I will check it out. Right now I am reading a book called "FUTEBOL..soccer the Brazilian Way" by Alex Bellos. I think many would enjoy this....it is an interesting look at the soul of Brazilian society and makes a few surprising 'revelations' about the influence football has had on Brazilians, and vice versa.

respect

1]; } ?>