April 18, 2024, 04:36:40 PM

Author Topic: The In Memory Of Thread  (Read 165182 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The In Memory Of Thread (Foreign)
« Reply #720 on: January 14, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/hgR_yXoAnRU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/hgR_yXoAnRU</a>

Roberto Cabañas
April 11, 1961 - January 9, 2017

L'ancien attaquant paraguayen Roberto Cabanas est mort
Le Monde

Le Paraguayen Roberto Cabanas, ex-attaquant vedette de Boca Junior, du New York Cosmos mais également de Brest et Lyon, est mort lundi 9 janvier des suites d’un infarctus à l’âge de 55 ans, a annoncé son frère Valerio à la radio ABC.

« Je vous confirme le décès de mon frère, qui a subi une attaque cardiaque, a-t-il expliqué, révélant, ému, la soudaineté de sa disparition. Il n’avait même pas mal à la tête, on n’a pas eu le temps de se dire quoi que ce soit. »

Formé à Cerro Porteno, le grand club paraguayen, « la Panthère » a côtoyé ensuite brièvement à New York (1980-1984) et à Boca (1991-1993 et 1994-1995) les stars mondiales Pelé et Diego Maradona.

GRAND ARTISAN DE LA REMONTÉE DE BREST EN PREMIÈRE DIVISION

Joueur de 1978 à 2000 avant de se reconvertir comme agent, Cabanas a également évolué en France de 1988 à 1991. A Brest, d’abord, de 1988 à 1990, où il contribue à la remontée du club en première division, inscrivant 21 buts en 33 matchs de championnat et trois lors des barrages d’accession contre Strasbourg. La saison suivante, il contribue au maintien du club en première division, puis part à Lyon où il jouera une saison.

Auteur de 11 buts en 28 sélections de 1979 à 1993, il a également remporté la Copa America en 1979 avec les Guaranis et disputé le Mondial 1986 au Mexique.

Joueur talentueux doté d’une grande finesse technique et d’une belle vision du jeu, il était passé maître dans les buts en reprise de volée, rebaptisées « cabanuelas » en Amérique.

Il a également porté les couleurs de l’America de Cali de 1984 à 1987, à une époque où les liens étaient serrés entre le club colombien et les trafiquants de drogue qui tentaient de contrôler le pays.

La dépouille de l’idole paraguayenne sera inhumée à Pilar, la ville où il est né, à 300 kilomètres au sud d’Asuncion.

Commemorative plaque presented by Robert Harrison, Paraguayan Football Federation in Pilar, the place of birth of Roberto Cabañas.

Roberto Cabañas and the Beautiful Game
By Paul Gardner, Soccer America.

From the happiest of thoughts and memories about Roberto Cabanas to total bewilderment and sadness ... all it took was a few days. The memories started with a brilliant goal scored by Arsenal’s French striker Olivier Giroud. His version of what has become known as a scorpion kick. A truly wonderful goal -- I can assume that most of you will have seen it, will have been amazed at Giroud’s skilfullness and smoothness as he turned a not very good pass to him into a superbly exciting goal.

Giroud was moving swiftly toward goal, the ball came in from his left, but it was a couple of feet behind him -- yet he was able to play it forward with the heel of his trailing leg, making solid contact, sort of hooking the ball forward over his own head to send it -- at speed -- crashing off the underside of the crossbar and into the net.

A breath-taking scorpion goal, a sudden flash of soccer brilliance defying even the wildest expectations ... pulled off with such ease and control. And that was when, inevitably, my thoughts turned to Roberto Cabanas and the extraordinary scorpion goal that he scored for the Cosmos back in 1983. The only scorpion goal that I have ever seen, I do believe, performed live, right before my own disbelieving eyes. I don’t think we called them scorpion kicks in those days -- that term was associated a little later with the flamboyant Colombian goalkeeper Rene Higuita.

Cabanas’ goal had the same origin as Giroud’s -- a ball that came in behind him. Giroud was running purposefully into the penalty area, fully aware of what was happening, glancing to his left where he could see Alexis Sanchez preparing to cross the ball. Even though Giroud had to break his running rhythm, had to stutter step, he was always in control, looking back to see the ball make contact with his left heel, to direct it on goal. And all in -- what, maybe 2 or 3 seconds.

Cabanas played soccer rather differently than Giroud. For sure -- after all, Giroud is a 30-year-old veteran, Cabanas was s 22-year-old wonder-kid overflowing with a blinding talent that had you convinced you were watching the next Maradona. At age 22 Cabanas did not have, could not have, the almost intellectual coolness of Giroud. But he had abundant youthful energy, the  supple movement of his gymnast’s body ... and he had that secret, inborn, well of knowledge that gives all the great players their greatness, the instinct that breeds, suddenly, miraculously, their magic moments.

Like Giroud, Cabanas saw a headed cross coming (from teammate Angelo DiBernardo). Unlike Giroud, Cabanas completely misjudged the path of the ball, diving as though to head it, but far too early. While still airborne, some three feet off the ground, Cabanas, now unable to see the ball -- even his elastic body couldn’t twist that much -- still managed a mid-air contortion that enabled him to get his heel on to the ball and slam it forcefully into the goal.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/Mmqx-3pFwx4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/Mmqx-3pFwx4</a>

Exciting beyond any telling of it -- another of those short, sharp sporting moments, just a few seconds that challenge reality and bring on the wondrous beauty of the impossible. Utterly unforgettable.

And then, little more than a week after the Giroud goal, came another moment that challenged reality. A horrible harsh moment announcing the death of Roberto Cabanas. Just 55, dead of a heart attack. A sudden unexpected death, without any advance warning of trouble.

Watching Cabanas play was always a tonic for me -- the bubbling boyish enthusiasm that sparkled in everything he did, the constant promise of something daring, something different, or like the scorpion kick, something outrageous.

A game with Cabanas on the field was always a game that was likely to give us soccer with a smile. Off the field, only once did I encounter Cabanas not looking happy -- after a famous incident when Giorgio Chinaglia had punched Cesar Romero -- the other young Paraguayan on the Cosmos -- in the face during a practice session. Something Giorgio never explained, something Cabanas said he didn’t understand.

Actually, it would have made more sense had it been Cabanas who Giorgio punched. Because there was a goalscorer’s rivalry between the two. Chinaglia was the Cosmos goalscorer without any doubt -- 193 goals in 213 games is a phenomenal total. Yet Chinaglia was getting along in years, and here was this young super-talented kid -- that same year of the scorpion goal, Cabanas had scored 25 goals to Chinaglia’s 18, and had won the NASL’s top scorer and MVP awards.

Years later, when the NASL and the Cosmos had disappeared, I summoned up the courage to ask Chinaglia whether he had ever felt threatened by Cabanas’s goalscoring feats. He didn’t answer. Not in words. Instead, I got a look of withering scorn, telling me, I think, that I was an idiot to imagine that he would be scared of a 22-year old kid.

I was surprised, disappointed really, that Cabanas didn’t go on to become a world-class star. He played for eight different clubs, including America de Cali and Boca Juniors. Always a fan favorite, always a goalscorer. He had his World Cup moment in 1986 when he scored twice, enabling Paraguay to tie Belgium, and ensuring passage to the next round. But the breakthrough to super-stardom never happened.

My memory of Cabanas is of the sturdiest sort, of a smiling young man who gave me (and no doubt a mass of others) immense pleasure whenever I saw him play, and who helped me to understand that there are mysterious dimensions to soccer that will never be understood by those who insist on analyzing the hell out of it with their accursed charts and diagrams and schemes and formations.

Thank you Roberto for giving us the magic, the joy -- and of course the beauty -- that are so important to the beautiful game.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:50:13 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 14, 2017, 04:14:54 PM »
Extremely good player. Thanks for those Cosmos memories. Was always a Diplomats fan, though. RIP?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 14, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »
RIP T&T Football
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:53:59 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #723 on: January 18, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »

Farewell to Graham Taylor and condolences to his family on his passing at age 72. Taylor was the manager who signed Dwight Yorke at Aston Villa. Taylor also worked as a technical consultant to the Trinidad and Tobago Men's Senior Team in 2004 under head coach Bertille St Clair. He is also a former England manager.

"Taylor recognizes that time is of essence and has already stated his plans of establishing relationships with the UK-based players upon his return to England and he is already in possession of videos of the country’s recent matches," Taylor told TTFA Media back in late 2004.

“It just so happens that such a high percentage of the footballers that represent the country are playing professionally in the UK and by having my input now is a step we have taken in trying to get Trinidad and Tobago to the next World Cup.

"We will be able to discuss certain views and strategies during this tenure. I am already in possession of tapes of some of the recent matches so I have an idea of how the team is playing and particularly the UK-based players. ,” Taylor added.

And for those who may be pressing the panic button or questioning the team�s chances based on recent performances (in 2004), Taylor had the following to tell them.

“�What I have found in my many years in football is that sometimes when you win you never play as well as you thought you may have but when you lose you never play as badly as everybody tells you.

“There are four more games coming up before the first match against the US. If we are to be honest, if you are a fan looking at the six teams in the group then you probably are going to back the States, Mexico and maybe Costa Rica. Then we have to look at Panama and Guatemala which I will find out more about. But what is important is seeing how we can get a result against all the favourites at home because realistically it is going to be difficult to go into places like the States and Mexico and get a result.

“As much as playing these games and getting ready is good, the most important thing is to try and arrive at the World Cup qualifying phase with the right squad and the right method of play. That is the whole object is to get to the World Cup out of this final qualifying group.,” Taylor stated (TTFA Media).

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:12:15 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamaican legend Delapenha passes away
« Reply #724 on: January 28, 2017, 11:40:50 AM »
Jamaican legend Delapenha passes away
CONCACAF.com

Retired Jamaican footballer Lloyd Lindbergh "Lindy" Delapenha passed away Thursday at 89-years-old.

Delapenha will be remembered for being the first Jamaica-born player to compete professionally in Europe and England. He was also the first Caribbean player to win the English League title, helping Portsmouth to top honors as a right winger in the 1948/49 and 1949/50 seasons.

In April 1950, he transferred to Middlesbrough, where his career thrived in a more advanced position. Delapenha played on the wing or inside-forward was Boro's leading scorer in the 1951/52, 1953/54 and 1955/56 seasons.

With Middlesbrough, he netted 93 goals in 270 appearances.

In England, Delapenha also played for Mansfield Town, Hereford United and Burton Albion.

After retiring from professional football in 1960, Delapenha went into sports broadcasting in Jamaica.

NOTES: Former England international John Barnes is the highest-ever scoring Jamaican-born player in England with 155 goals from 1981-99. Ricardo Fuller, however, has scored the most goals while playing in England of any Jamaica international, tallying 110 from 2001-16.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The In Memory of Thread (Red, White, & Black)
« Reply #725 on: January 28, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »
Guys, Forumites from NY, Baltimore, DC, Curepe, St. Joseph, Point and Chaguanas. I want to inform the passing of Keith "Gozay" McLean in NY. He was from Curepe. Played for Puna Sec, Chelsea from St.Joseph CYO youth league and Malvern in the 80s. Uncle was "Dads" McLean who was a pretty good Colts and Malvern player. God's Blessings to him.

Munroe "BeeBee" Jobe final breadth was at  Howard U. hospital. He was originally from Point, but between Chaguanas and Maryland/DC. Former Belmont and Progressive player. Played for TT ALL Stars and Cherner football clubs in DC. Was an ordained Baptist Bishop. The year now start and two gone already. Gozay was 58 and BeeBee  was about 61. Take care of yourselves Forumites. DOC was quite familiar with these two gentlemen, Having played with and against them in the summer tournaments. God Bless!!!!!

Condolences to the respective families.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #726 on: January 31, 2017, 03:31:50 AM »
Tony Gouveia, a football genius, has died.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Amidst all the excitement regarding our football future Tony Gouveia, a former national coach has passed on at the age of 88.

He was head coach of Paragon in the great days of the Port-of-Spain Football League (PoSFL) and in 1964 the club won every title that was at stake in football.

He was ill for a short time and died at the Mt Hope Hospital on Sunday morning very peacefully.

He was a general secretary of the T&T cricket board in the late sixties, and many will know him as the coach who was instrumental in the upbringing of Everard “Gally” Cummings from early football career straight into our national team.

A gentleman of the highest standards and maybe the most inspirational and demanding of all national coaches during his era. Those who knew Tony as well as I did, will have vouched for his stringent request for absolute discipline and deportment on and off the field from his players, and had the ultimate desire to guide the destiny of anyone with whom he came in contact.

The former St Mary’s stand-out, was also a student of the great game and followed it by attending the World Cup finals in Mexico and the USA and he also attended the Olympic Games in his effort to become the perfect analysis.

Those who believe that this stalwart of the Fifties and Seventies would have left us bemoaning the poor quality of our football administration, should desist from the thought.

Tony, who grew up in Port-of-Spain, but later migrated to Barataria, was a fighter to the end and the results of his work would be evidence of the great contribution he has made during his long and illustrious career.

My friends, this country has lost yet another technical genius in our football history. He has left his son Chris, a former Fatima college winger, with the natural talent of a player, but an individual with the spiritual and academic strength to lead many of the current football bosses into the right direction.

He was the father of seven children, two boys and five girls.

Thank you Tony for being among us as a friend, advisor, and great sporting contributor in almost every aspect of sport, whether it be player, coach, or administrator.

His funeral will take place on Friday at 10 am at the St Theresa’s Roman Catholic Church, 6th Avenue, Malick Barataria.

Can we all just whisper a prayer for such a competent legend for sport in the country? May he rest in peace as we send condolences to his bereaved family. R.I.P My friend.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 31, 2017, 07:40:42 AM »
RIP. Mr. Gouveia.God Bless.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 31, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »
Condolences to Chris (and family) on the loss of his dad.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #729 on: February 05, 2017, 06:41:53 AM »
Gally’s tribute to his coach, mentor and friend.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Former national football coach Anthony Rudolph Gouveia, who passed at the age of 88 at Mt Hope Hospital on Sunday after being ill for a short time, was laid to rest on Friday, but not before Everald “Gally” Cummings, one of his players, said his final goodbye during the funeral service at the St Theresa’s Roman Catholic Church on 6th Avenue, Malick, Barataria.

In his tribute to Tony he wrote: “I have known Mr Tony Gouveia since aged 14 as a youngster living at the corner of Dundonald Street and Melville Lane, a stone throw from the Queen’s Park Savannah. We had our community football team and some of our older players were members of the Paragon Sports Club—First Division team coached by Govie. On evenings after school, we all went to Queen’s Park Savannah (QPS) for our regular football practice with our community football team. I didn’t know that Govie was already enquiring about me through my older brother Philbert, who at the time was playing for Paragon’s Senior Team. I was then given a scholarship to Paragon Sports Club by Govie and started playing for the second division team in the POSFL at aged 14.

“Govie practically took me over as his son and that was so until his passing. I remember the early morning training sessions at 5 am at the QPS. And the 6 pm training sessions at the club house in Cocorite. We loved our coach so much that we ran from Dundonald Street to the training at the club house in Cocorite. In 1964 at age 15, under Govie’s coaching and leadership we won POSFL first division and all other trophies in Trinidad including the national title. In 1965 I was selected to the Trinidad and Tobago senior national team at 16.

“He was instrumental in my transfer to Fatima College, winning their first ever Inter-Col championship, also in 1965. In 1967 I signed a professional contract to play for the Atlanta Chiefs Soccer Club in the inauguration of the NASL. All these achievements were under his guidance. Govie was a coach, parent, advisor, friend, financier, teacher.

“He was always very positive even in the midst of negatives. He always talked to me about not compromising my principles, keeping my integrity intact, to be disciplined and show commitment at the highest level. He taught me that there was no substitute for hard work. These are values I hold steadfastly and which I imbued as a coach and which helped me in shaping our famous Strike Squad and contributing to moulding some of our outstanding national players like Yorke, Latapy, Brian Williams and others. It was Govie’s model that shaped me as a coach as well.

“I have played under the leadership of many coaches at national, international and professional levels, but I have never met a coach like him. He went beyond the call of duty for his players and gave his all to make them their best self. Govie’s legacy will always live on and I was blessed to have him play this major role in my life. I am eternally grateful to him and I will always keep his memories etched in my heart. May God bless your soul until we meet again! I love you coach, mentor and friend.”

Gouveia was a former St Mary’s stand-out, a student of the great game and he followed it by attending the World Cup finals in Mexico and the USA and he also attended an Olympic Games in his effort to become the perfect analysis.

Gouveia, who grew up in Port-of-Spain, but later moved to Barataria, was a fighter to the end and the results of his work would be evidence of the great contribution he has made during his long and illustrious career.

He leaves to mourn his wife of 62 years Carol, and seven children—Christopher, Michael, Denyse, Patrice, Julie-Ann, Rhonda and Marisol, together with seven grandchildren.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: The In Memory Of Thread
« Reply #730 on: February 12, 2017, 05:50:02 AM »
Football family mourns Abiela's passing.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

The T&T Football Association yesterday expressed deepest condolences to the family of Abiela Adams who was found murdered in Courland, Tobago.

Adams was a member of the National Under 15 Women's team and a bright prospect for the National Women's your team programme. She was first selected to the National Under 15 Team last year and journeyed to the CONCACAF Under 15 Women's Championship at Disney, Orlando where she represented the country with pride at that tournament.

TTFA President David John-Williams expressed condolences to the family of Abiela, saying "We are deeply saddened by the news of young Abiela's passing. Our deepest sympathies go out to her family and we pray that God will grant her family and her closed ones the much needed comfort and peace during this time."

"The TTFA will make every effort to support the family in this difficult time. Her death comes at a time when women's football in our country is heading in the right direction. We are all shocked at losing a bright prospect like her," the TTFA President said.

The T&T Under 15 head coach at the time of the CONCACAF championship, Marlon Charles, expressed dismay and shock on hearing the news of her death. "When you hear news like this it reflects on home because as someone you have coached, these players become part of you. You think about it as a father, as a parent, as a coach, you reflect on how she would have encountered everything she had to go through. This is really a traumatic situation that has hit us really hard in the football fraternity," Charles explained.

"She had great potential to go on to play for other national teams and would have been part of the upcoming screening for the national under 17 women's team. She journeyed over from Tobago for the Under 15 screening last year and made the final selection and turned out to be one our better players and I am certain she would have been back for the Under 17s. These are dreams a young lady surely would have had and it has been taken away,"he added.

Under 15 national team manager Ricarda Nelson said the players from that team have been left devastated by the news. "It's heartbreaking. You still cannot understand how the mother or family feels right now. What could a young girl like Abiela do to deserve what happened to her. We really need to deal with what is happening in our society today," Nelson said.

"All my players right now are in tears, crying because they were all close. I could hear the screams while on the phone with some of the parents this morning. I am a mother and you have to ask how do you deal with something like this," Nelson said.

RELATED NEWS

THA takes action on crime.
By KINNESHA GEORGE (Newsday)

The murder of school girl, 15-year old student, Abiela Adams, has prompted not only outrage among Tobago leaders, but also renewed focus on how to treat with increasing homicides and security in general on the sister isle.

Chief Secretary, Kelvin Charles, is to meet with the Tobago Executive of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service tomorrow to address the issue. In a release issued by his office yesterday, Charles sought to assure the Tobago population that security is a top priority.

“The Tobago House of Assembly is committed to working with the TTPS and relevant civil society agencies to find solutions to the challenges of crime on the island,” the THA release said. “The Chief Secretary assures the public that security of citizens is a top priority and that the THA is prepared to do what it has to, in order to protect Tobagonians.

With this in mind, the THA has been strategising and developing initiatives to deal with the challenges, and the public will be informed.” The Signal Hill Secondary School Form Three student went missing last week. Her body was discovered yesterday.

Charles’ media release yesterday said that the recent murders on the island, as well as crime in general, demand the attention and cooperation of all members of the public, leaders and protectors.

Going further to express condolences to loved ones of those who have lost someone to violence, including Adams, the release added, “All loss of any life is painful to society and loved ones. We all have a role to play in resolving this growing problem.” In this regard, the release reminded the public to come forward and report to the police any information related to crime, reminding that there are also anonymous ways to report a crime. I the release, the THA urged the public to use all avenues to relate any such information.

Other political leaders in Tobago, in addition to being outraged by the demise of the student, were critical of the People’s National Movement (PNM) in dealing with the crime situation on the island. THA minority leader Watson Duke told Sunday Newsday that he is continuing his call to the Chief Secretary and Prime Minister to enact a serious crime plan for the island.

“This is Tobago’s darkest hour and it is the most hopeless hour when the Chief Secretary just throws his hand in the air and says he has no crime plan and he would work with Crime stoppers to stop crime.” Duke said. “The Prime Minister keeps ‘jamming still’ even though our country is being ripped apart by crime against humanity, it is indeed sad.” Duke called on all countrymen to not lose faith, as he noted that ‘hope is not lost.’ “We are prepared to deal with crime head on, Duke said. “We are prepared to create community policing to work with the Community Comfort patrols to ensure that every child, every family and every village is protected, none will be left behind.

Very soon and after thorough consultation, we would announce a crime march in Tobago and that would be the beginning of the end of this false PNM THA administration, who is only intent was to win and now that they have won they don’t care, but we would ensure that the voice of the minority or the majority is heard through us in that Chamber,” Duke said.

Meanwhile, Political Leader of the Tobago Forwards, Christlyn Moore said she was overwhelmed by the situation.

“First of all my condolences to the family,” she said. “I cannot comprehend what that mother must be going through to learn that the child that she nurtured for 15 years has been taken from her and not by accident but by the hand and the desire of a criminal.” Moore added, “That is the most heart-breaking thing, and my very being goes out to that family and the community of right thinking people share in their grief.” Moore said this brings into stark reality what has been said for the past few months.

“The crime situation is completely out of control and it has spilled over into Tobago. We are now on the 11th of February, we have met the amount of murders that we ended 2016 with in Tobago, we are now at that number on the 11th of February, 2017.” “We are in crisis.” she declared. “If there was ever a time to sound an alarm, that time is now.

Crime in Tobago is going to become a factor, a larger factor even if all other things are done right in Tobago.”

Minister, coach send condolences to slain footballer's family.
By Keith Clement (Guardian).

Tobago's latest murder touched the national football community on Saturday with the news that national under-15 player Abiela Adams was found murdered.

Adams, a defender with the Signal Hill Secondary School team never returned to her Mary's Hill, Tobago home after leaving with a friend last Friday evening.

News of the discovery of her body sent shockwaves throughout the country.

A release from the ministry stated: "On behalf of the management and staff of the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs and the Sports Company of T&T, the Honourable Darryl Smith extends condolences to the Adams family as well as her teammates and classmates on their tragic loss.

"Abiela was described as a player with 'great potential' by Under-15 head coach Marlon Charles, who most recently led team T&T to the 2016 CONCACAF Girls Under-15 Championships in Orlando, Florida, USA."

Minister Smith went further in his words of sympathy, saying: "As a father of three daughters, I cannot imagine the grief Abiela's family must be going through and I pray for their healing and in the long term, for justice.

Pour all your sorrow into supporting each other, as teammates do on the field of play.

"As the Minister responsible for Sport, I will continue to advocate for and create opportunities for the inclusion and full participation of young persons, particularly women and girls in sport, as Abiela was in both football and cricket.

"T&T, we all need to protect our women and girls. The current state of affairs cannot continue."

"The Ministry urges citizens to pay urgent attention to their safety at all times, to use the numerous channels available to alert the police to any criminal activity you observe and to make every effort to protect women and girls in situations of potential danger."

Abiela Adams...found murdered yesterday Photo by:Walter Alibey

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:44:25 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 21, 2017, 05:38:46 AM »
Ugo Ehiogu: Former England defender dies after suffering cardiac arrest
BBC Sport

Former England and Aston Villa defender Ugo Ehiogu has died at the age of 44 after suffering a cardiac arrest at Tottenham's training centre on Thursday.

A Spurs statement said Ehiogu died in hospital in the early hours of Friday.

Ehiogu, who was Spurs' Under-23s coach, was capped four times by England.

"Words cannot express the shock and sadness that we all feel at the club," said Tottenham's head of coaching and development John McDermott.

"Ugo's immense presence will be irreplaceable."

Ehiogu made over 200 appearances for Aston Villa between 1991 and 2000 and then spent seven years at Middlesbrough.

He won the League Cup with Villa in 1994 and 1996, and also with Boro in 2004.

The centre-back also played for West Brom, Leeds, Rangers and Sheffield United, before retiring in 2009. He began coaching at Tottenham in 2014.

Ehiogu was a co-founder of music label Dirty Hit, which has British indie band The 1975 on its books.

He married his wife, Gemma, in 2005. He had two children - son Obi Jackson and daughter Jodie.

Villa will hold a minute's applause before their Championship match against Birmingham City on Sunday, with both sets of players to wear black armbands.

Meanwhile, Spurs' reserve team game at Manchester United on Monday has been postponed.

And all of the club's weekend academy matches have also been called off.

'A tremendous person'

"I can't fathom he's no longer here," former Middlesbrough goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, who won the League Cup with Ehiogu, told BBC Radio 5 live.

He added: "He was a tremendous person, a tremendous character, a dedicated footballer and dedicated to his family. He was a great guy to be around, so full of life and so enthusiastic.

"As a centre-back, I rate him right up there. He suffered from injuries throughout his career, but with more consistency he could have added to his England caps.

"He was very much a family man and it's such a shame to leave such a young family behind."

Former Aston Villa team-mate Andy Townsend told BBC Radio 5 live: "He was a defender every team would like to have at the back. It's a life that is so tragically cut short and so sad.

"He was on the training field with the academy boys and would have stayed active. I saw him recently and he was a picture of health, which is why this come as such a huge shock."

'One of our heroes'

Middlesbrough bought Ehiogu for a then club record fee of £8m in 2000 and he became a mainstay of the defence alongside Gareth Southgate as Steve McClaren's side won the League Cup.

"Ugo was one of our heroes at Cardiff when the club won its only ever major trophy, "said Boro chairman Steve Gibson.

"Ugo and Gareth Southgate were the rock on which Steve McClaren brought the club its best period in its history. He wasn't just a good footballer, he was a great man.

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce, who played for Manchester United in the 1994 League Cup final, added: "I had so much admiration for him as a fellow centre-half.

"He was uncompromising, quick and gave his all every single week - he was a great defender. All the football world will be saddened."

Football Association chairman Greg Clarke said: "A hugely popular figure across English football but particularly at Aston Villa and Middlesbrough, he was also close to many at Wembley and St George's Park through his England connections - both as a player and as a coach."

Tributes on social media

Ex-Spurs midfielder Jermaine Jenas tweeted: "Gutted is an understatement. An aspiring coach and all round top guy. My thoughts and prayers are with your family."

Former England women and Arsenal Ladies forward Kelly Smith on Twitter: "RIP my friend Ugo Ehiogu, gone too soon. A wonderful, caring man."

Ex-Blackburn, Chelsea and Celtic striker Chris Sutton‏ posted: "Really upsetting news about Ugo Ehiogu. Football has lost a great player and a great man. Thoughts go out to his family. RIP Ugo."

Denise Lewis, Great Britain's Olympic heptathlon gold medallist in 2000, tweeted: "Another sad day for sport with the death of Ugo Ehiogu. RIP."

Former Manchester City striker Paul Dickov said: "Devastating news about Ugo Ehiogu this morning. Rock of a player and a rock of a person. Thoughts and prayers to all family and friends."

Ex-Aston Villa goalkeeper Mark Bosnich tweeted: "RIP Ugo Ehiogu. Tremendous player and an even better man. Words can't do justice to how sad I am."

Former England defender Rio Ferdinand‏ tweeted: "Can't believe the news that Ugo Ehiogu has passed away. Calm & warming vibe when in his company. My heart goes out to his family."

Ex-England defender Sol Campbell‏ described Ehiogu as "one of my East London mates of old" and "a true defender". "My heart goes out to his family. I just can't believe it," he added.

British former world heavyweight boxing champion Frank Bruno tweeted: "Ugo Ehiogu RIP, terrible shock. Shame he did not get more England caps and at 44 such a young age. Great servant for Aston Villa and Spurs youth team."

Jamie Oborne, who co-founded Dirty Hit with Ehiogu ni 2009, tweeted: "Gutted to hear that my friend Ugo has tragically passed away. I will always treasure the memories of our chats about love, life, hopes and dreams. Feel very blessed to have had you in my life. Love to Gemma and the little man. Such a sad day."

A beast on the field, a gentle soul off it'

BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy:

He was a very unassuming, gentle soul to deal with - very softly spoken. On the field he was an absolute beast, a colossus, an animal.

Gordon Cowans, a former midfielder at Aston Villa, and Ron Atkinson, his manager at the time, often tell the story of Ugo Ehiogu's first tackle at Villa.

In a pre-season game at Witney Town in Oxfordshire, he went into this tackle and Cowans, in the dugout with Atkinson, turned to him and said: "Did you see that?" He was such a strong defender, they knew they'd bought an absolute diamond for £40,000.

Atkinson knew him at Sheffield Wednesday and when he moved to Villa in 1991, he went after Ugo.

In his first game - Norwich City at home - he had a shocker. They lost 3-2 and Atkinson joked with Ugo that he was the player of the month - but he took it well.

For the next nine years, he was a tremendous centre-back alongside Gareth Southgate - a mixture of elegance, technical ability and strong, aggressive defending from Ehiogu.

He was a bit unlucky with injuries - he only played four times for England. It was a good era of England centre-backs and there's no doubt he would've played more if not.

He was still playing less than a decade ago, which shows how fit he was.

Ehiogu was from the school of hard knocks. When he was trying to make his way in the game, he wrote to about 10 top clubs looking for a chance but got nowhere - other than at West Brom, where Atkinson liked the look of him.

So Ugo's career was a triumph of perseverance as well as undoubted talent and ability to look after himself physically.

He was a role model to a lot of the young players he'd been coaching at Tottenham because he could say he didn't have a gilded passage, like so many in academies nowadays.

Ehiogu had to work for everything he got, as an international and a Premier League defender.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cheick Tiote dies at the age of 30 after collapsing during training in China
Sky Sports

Former Newcastle midfielder Cheick Tiote has died at the age of 30 after collapsing during a training session in China.

Ivory Coast international Tiote moved to China in February to play for second division side Beijing Enterprises and he was training with his club when he collapsed.

He was taken to hospital but it has now been confirmed that he passed away after emergency treatment.

Tiote arrived at Newcastle in 2010 from FC Twente and played seven seasons for the club, the first six of those in the Premier League.

But Tiote would only make one Championship appearance in his seventh season at St James' Park and he made the move to China last year.

Tiote's representative Emanuele Palladino said: "It is with deep sadness that I confirm that my client Cheick Tiote sadly passed away earlier today after collapsing in training with his club Beijing Enterprises.

"We cannot say any more at the moment and we request that his family's privacy be respected at this difficult time."

"We ask for all your prayers."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 05, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »
R.I.P Cheik Ismaël Tioté

June 21, 1986 - June 5, 2017

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_xK0NpvuYFw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_xK0NpvuYFw</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: June 15, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 20, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »
NSCAA Mourns the Passing of Tony DiCicco
NSCAA

Tony DiCicco, a beloved member of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America since 1981 and longtime Director of the NSCAA Goalkeeping Academy, passed away on Monday at the age of 68 and leaves an indelible legacy that will live on in our Association for generations to come.

The NSCAA joins the coaching and soccer community in mourning the loss of one of the game’s most selfless leaders and in paying tribute to his many contributions as a player, coach, administrator, broadcaster and educator over a lifetime spent sharing his love for the game.

“Tony’s passing is an incredible loss to our game. We have lost a friend. He adored his wife and sons and our thoughts are with them. He’s touched so many people’s lives,” said NSCAA CEO Lynn Berling-Manuel. “As Director of the NSCAA Goalkeeper Academy, he taught hundreds of coaches who will always be in his debt. And he will be revered by players across the spectrum -- from nine-year-olds who had their first soccer camp experience with him to national team stars who played in World Cups for him. There will not soon be another like him.”

DiCicco, who is a past member of the NSCAA Board of Directors and acted in an advisory role for both U.S. Soccer and FIFA, received the NSCAA Honorary All-American award in 1999 and was honored with the NSCAA Women’s Committee Award of Excellence in 2008. He was inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame in 2012 and the NSCAA Hall of Fame in 2016.

“We’ve lost a true legend. Tony has contributed to every facet of the game in the United States,” said NSCAA President Charlie Slagle. “He will be sorely missed.”

DiCicco’s coaching philosophy and expertise is woven throughout the NSCAA Coaching Academy curriculum and was delivered to countless coaches annually through the NSCAA Convention, NSCAA courses across the country and other available NSCAA resources.

“The loss of a legend like Tony will be personal, in different ways, for so many,” said NSCAA Director of Coaching Education Ian Barker. “For me, of all the people I have interacted with working at the NSCAA, Tony DiCicco stood out as someone who gave of his time to people when there was little obviously in it for him. A man of his experiences and accomplishments always considered other people important and he was always sharing his passion and wisdom of the game. We shall miss the colleague and we will miss the man even more.”

In a coaching career celebrated most poignantly by the athletes who played for him in addition to the many accolades he compiled, DiCicco is the winningest national team coach in U.S. Soccer history with a 105-8-8 record as manager of the United States Women’s National Team from 1994-1999.

“Tony DiCicco is one of the finest men I have ever known and he was a giant of the game,” said Hank Steinbrecher, former Secretary General of U.S. Soccer. “His impact goes beyond our sport. It goes to changing the culture of American sports in terms of women playing team sports. Tony was always an extremely strong advocate for the women’s game.”

He led the United States to the first gold medal in women’s soccer at the 1996 Summer Olympics and three years later lifted the 1999 FIFA Women’s World Cup trophy in a watershed moment for women’s sports in this country. Both feats stand today as the only time a host country has won the gold medal in women’s soccer or the FIFA Women’s World Cup.

“He was a tremendous friend, father and coach,” said former U.S. WNT member Brandi Chastain. “He gave everything and asked nothing except your best effort done with passion, integrity and love. He was a kind soul and a gentle walker of the earth. He laughed hard, with others and at himself, and was never apologetic about loving someone or something openly. Being a coach is a great gift and Tony embraced that moniker with gratitude and love.”

After stepping away from the national team to spend time with his wife, Diane, and four sons, DiCicco returned to U.S. Soccer as head coach of the U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team in 2008 and led the squad to the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup title. The run improved his record at FIFA tournaments to 18-2-3 and saw him become the first coach to win each of FIFA’s top three competitions in the women’s game, in addition to a third-place finish at the 1995 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

"First and foremost, Tony was a great guy," said former U.S. WNT member Shannon MacMillan. "He absolutely loved every minute that he was out there coaching. He truly enjoyed the opportunities that he had. He was a coach that had a great knack for coaching women. Personally, he challenged me and pushed me on a daily basis. I'm forever grateful to him. He will be sorely missed, but never forgotten."

DiCicco is the only individual to serve as head coach of the U.S. WNT at multiple World Cups and he also served as the goalkeeper coach for the U.S. WNT from 1990-1994, highlighted by his role in contributing to the U.S. capturing the first FIFA Women’s World Cup in 1991. During that time, he also served as a goalkeeper coach for the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team.

His impact on the sport extends well beyond the international level as DiCicco also proved instrumental in the foundations of women’s soccer as a professional sport in the United States. He acted as Commissioner of Women’s United Soccer Association from 2000-2003, led the Boston Breakers for all three seasons in Women’s Professional Soccer from 2009-2011 and served as a consultant for the Houston Dash in the National Women’s Soccer League.

In addition, DiCicco was actively involved in coaching youth and amateurs throughout his lifetime in U.S. Youth Soccer, the Olympic Development Program, adidas ESP Program and Connecticut Soccer League. Dating back to 1982, he founded SoccerPlus Goalkeeper School and would later found SoccerPlus FieldPlayer Academy, FSASoccerPlus Football Club and SoccerPlus CT Reds of the Women’s Premier Soccer League, coaching the latter to the USASA U-23 National Championship in 2007.

Himself a three-sport athlete at Wethersfield High School (Conn.) and Springfield College (Mass.) before a professional career in the American Soccer League with the Connecticut Wildcats and Rhode Island Oceaneers, DiCicco would continue giving back to the game within the school setting. He started soccer programs at Bellow Falls Middle School (Vt.) and South Catholic High School (Conn.), and he coached men’s soccer at Central Connecticut State.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 20, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
RIP. Condolences!

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #738 on: June 20, 2017, 11:58:15 PM »
Omg  Damn!!  :( sorry to hear. When i last saw him i wondered what was wrong with him, he looked sick. A man with good integrity and he touched many lives in the World of the beautiful game and there will not be another like him in US Soccer. Enjoyed his lectures. SIP Tony.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1nZ0CD5Wq6Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1nZ0CD5Wq6Q</a>
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:35:29 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cyrille Regis, former West Brom and England striker, dies aged 59
« Reply #742 on: January 15, 2018, 07:16:30 AM »
Cyrille Regis, former West Brom and England striker, dies aged 59
Press Association (theguardian.com)

The former West Bromwich Albion and England striker Cyrille Regis has died aged 59, the Professional Footballers’ Association has announced.

Regis, who died following a cardiac arrest on Sunday, won five caps for England between 1982 and 1987, having been one of the stars of the Baggies team between 1977 and 1984. He scored 112 goals in 297 appearances for Albion before moving on to Coventry, winning the FA Cup with the Sky Blues in 1987. He was appointed an MBE in 2008.

The Professional Footballers’ Association announced the news on Monday morning and wrote in a tweet from its official account: “A true gentleman and legend, he will be deeply missed. Our sympathies to his family and friends.”

The Hawthorns club also released a statement on its website, which read: “West Bromwich Albion are today deeply saddened and shocked to confirm that one of our greatest players, Cyrille Regis, has passed away.. He was the iconic figurehead of the club’s legendary ‘Three Degrees’ team of the late 1970s, was taken ill late last night. Cyrille lit up the Hawthorns with his thrilling brand of forward play.

“He also became one of the great symbols of the fight against racism in Britain as a pioneer for black footballers across this nation and beyond. Cyrille is survived by two children Robert and Michelle and three grandchildren Jayda, Renée and Riley. The club will be making further announcements about its plans to celebrate the life of one of Albion’s all-time greats in due course.”

His widow, Julia, said: “Cyrille and I were soulmates, he was the perfect man for me and we had a wonderful life together. He was a beautiful man and a wonderful husband, father, grandfather, brother and uncle.

“Losing him has turned my whole world upside down. It is a void that will never be filled. I have been moved by the many messages of support and condolences I have received and the kind things people have said about Cyrille as a person and a professional.

“He came into football the hard way and never lost his passion for the game. He was a role model for so many because he always treated everyone he met with kindness and respect.”

Regis was born in French Guiana in February 1958 but moved to London with his family at the age of five. He did not come through the youth ranks with a professional club and was instead spotted playing Sunday morning football by the chairman of the Surrey non-league club Molesey.

West Brom signed him for £5,000 in May 1977 and he made a spectacular start, scoring twice in a League Cup tie against Rotherham in September of that year. Along with Laurie Cunningham and Brendon Batson, who joined Albion in 1978, the trio of black players were nicknamed “The Three Degrees”.

He was voted the PFA Young Player of the Year for 1978. Regis represented England at under-21 level and won his first senior cap in February 1982 against Northern Ireland. His final cap came against Turkey in October 1987.

After his stint at Coventry he also played for Aston Villa, Wolves, Wycombe and Chester before ending his playing career in 1996. He worked as an agent for the Stellar Group after his retirement from the game, and the agency’s chief executive, Jonathan Barnett, released a statement on Monday morning.

“Cyrille was a wonderful person to work with and his death has left everyone in the company and the players he represented with a great sense of sadness,” Barnett said. “Our deepest condolences go out to Julia and all of Cyrille’s family and close friends. He was a role model to his young clients and a genuinely lovely man.”

The statement from Stellar also praised Regis for his “passion, determination and integrity, especially in the way he would champion the careers of up and coming players”.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 15, 2018, 08:20:38 AM »
Just read that. Wow! RIP big man. He played with Dwight at when Dwight just arrived at Villa. Think he helped Dwight adjust to the English scene. Heart attack at 59. Man oh man!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:12:56 PM by Deeks »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 16, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »
Honduran Soccer Star Juan Carlos Garcia Immortalized
Telesur

Juan Carlos Garcia Barahona
March 8, 1988 - January 8, 2018

Honduras-born soccer star Juan Carlos Garcia, who died Monday after losing a three-year battle with leukemia, is being immortalized in a statue in the Plaza Mundialista of the General Francisco Morazan Stadium.

Garcia, who died aged 29, shot to fame in 2013 when he scored his first international goal – a bicycle kick – to equalize in a 2-1 home win against the United States in the World Cup qualifying.

It was the first time in 24 years that the United States had lost their first game of a World Cup qualification campaign. 

Garcia later made an appearance at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil as Honduras exited in the group stage, replacing Izaguirre at half time in a 1–2 defeat to Ecuador in Curitiba.

Garcia, who also played for Wigan in the United Kingdom, made his debut for Honduras in a July 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup match against Grenada, coming on as a sub for Carlos Palacios.

The new statue, in the city of San Pedro Sula, is one of four sculptures at the stadium featuring Hondurans who have played in world championships.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/R8mnlOK3C_c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/R8mnlOK3C_c</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HHHIzSslODg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HHHIzSslODg</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 16, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
RIP. Wow! So young!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 30, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 17, 2018, 11:14:53 AM »
In Memoriam

Alyssa Alhadeff, victim of the shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

May 1, 2003 - February 14, 2018

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 17, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
RIP! Young Lady. God Bless!

:frustrated: >:( :banginghead:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 27, 2018, 12:43:28 PM »
Show Racism the Red Card Honorary President, Shaka Hislop, comments on the death of Cyrille Regis
theredcard.org

As the game bids farewell to one of its greatest players, ambassadors and advocates, I cannot help but recall the couple of occasions that I met Cyrille Regis. He stood at 6 feet tall, a few inches shorter than I am or how I grew up imagining him to be. What was exactly how I had always imagined was his quiet command of all around him. His smile brought people in, and though you always felt welcomed like family, people revered him. And that is what I remember. That is how I always felt about him, the man that I thought so much to me in my mid-teens.

My impressions and understanding of Cyrille are far different to most in the UK. I, shaped by my upbringing in Trinidad and Tobago, and as all teens should, had this idealistic view of the world. Cyrille was an idol to me because he looked so much like me. I was totally unaware of much of what Cyrille had to endure in an effort to earn a living doing something that I was able to take for granted. The few black faces we saw on our screens was simply reflective of the few black faces that made up a part of British society...or so I thought.

It wasn’t until I went to university in the US that I began to truly appreciate the role of race and racism in society. It wasn’t until I arrived in the UK that I began to understand their roles in sport. And now all of a sudden Cyrille Regis meant so much more to me.

The accolades that have poured in since his passing are all fully deserved, and yet he was so much more to so many more. I think that’s because Cyrille Regis gave hope not just to footballers, or athletes, or athletes of colour. Cyrille Regis gave us all hope that doing right always wins, that no hurdle is too high. Cyrille made us believe in ourselves. In Cyrille I recognized that the struggle is so much bigger than ourselves, yet it is always worth it.

Regardless of who you are, your station in life, we all owe Cyrille Regis a debt of gratitude, whether you recognize that or willingly dismiss it. On meeting Cyrille I immediately recognized exactly how much I owed him, and knew that I’d never be able to repay him. My only hope is to one day pay it forward.

1]; } ?>