May 29, 2024, 04:54:17 AM

Author Topic: Kelvin Jack leads Scots' Soca Warriors.  (Read 2020 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Kelvin Jack leads Scots' Soca Warriors.
« on: May 04, 2006, 08:16:59 AM »
Kelvin Jack leads Scots' Soca Warriors.
By: Fifaworldcup.com.

Though appealing in their own very distinct ways, it would surely be difficult to find two nations which, in criteria from culture to climate, contrast more starkly than Trinidad and Tobago and Scotland.
True, the odd planeload of Scottish honeymooners depart for the Caribbean nation to sample its sun and sand, but the return flights tend not to be packed with Trinidadians jostling to join them in a country that, for all its rugged beauty, boasts weather so unpredictable that a warm, waterproof winter coat tends to be nothing short of a year-round necessity.
"Oh, it's definitely very, very different here to back home," the Soca Warriors' goalkeeper, Kelvin Jack, acknowledged with a chuckle. "God, any further north and I'd be at the North Pole!"
OK, so Jack exaggerates just a little, but the 30-year-old Dundee goalkeeper is, nevertheless, the northernmost of T&T's Scottish contingent and, by the very nature of his role, suffers the extremities of the country's weather even more acutely than his compatriots. So how did he come to be here? And why is he just one of six Scots-based players in national coach Leo Beenhakker's provisional squad for the 2006 FIFA World Cup™?
The nations' sole similarity, their shared language, is an obvious and valid starting point, and yet it quickly becomes apparent that the relationship between the likes of Jack, Russell Latapy and Marvin Andrews and their adopted homeland cannot be characterised merely as a marriage of convenience.
"Not at all," Jack assured FIFAworldcup.com. "Honestly, I've been to many, many countries all over the world – well over 30 – and Scotland is definitely one of the most, if not the most, beautiful that I've seen. I just love the scenery here. For me, just driving about this country is a big treat because, wherever I go, I find myself gazing out of the window, just smiling and marvelling at the landscape and the beauty of the place.
"The weather is definitely something you have to get used to – there's about a 25-degree difference in temperature between here and back home - but it hasn't stopped the lads who've moved here from enjoying it. The people are a big reason for that, too, and I know that if I was to leave Scotland, there are things that I'd really miss about living here."
Jack is, in fact, soon to be out of contract with his Scottish club and, following Dundee's failure to return to the country's top tier, the indications are that he may opt for a fresh challenge in foreign climes. Should he depart, however, he will hope to do so with applause ringing in his ears; after all, in Scotland, the route to becoming a national hero is surprisingly simple.
"Absolutely, just beat England and that will be me for life," he said, laughing. "The Scottish public will definitely be big Soca Warriors fans during the World Cup, that's for sure, and I've already had a lot of people stopping me on the street to wish me luck against the English.
"The people here are great, it's such a football-mad country, and hopefully our Scottish-based players can take all the positive encouragement we've been receiving with us to Germany and use it as an inspiration."
Beenhakker's side are certainly unlikely to want for support during the FIFA World Cup, with their own colourful, exuberant fans and adopted Scottish faithful sure to be supplemented by the backing of more than a few of the thus-far unaffiliated neutrals.
The dual-island nation is, after all, the smallest country (in terms of population) ever to qualify for football's global showpiece and, with the combined might of England, Sweden and Paraguay awaiting T&T in Group B, anyone looking for a classic underdog to back need look no further.
"I think a lot of neutrals might well support us, and I would hope so - because we'd be a good choice," Jack said. "We will be the smallest country there without doubt and we're also going to Germany with a positive attitude, not just to be happy that we're there, but to do well.
"You should also know that our country is famous for its carnival and, with our fans, we will hopefully bring something a bit different – some fun and colour - to the tournament, because we will do it our way and express ourselves on and off the pitch."
For Jack, the hero of T&T's dramatic 1-0 play-off win over Bahrain, the memory of "crying like a baby" when the Soca Warriors narrowly missed out on qualifying for Italia 90 ensures that he will savour every second of his time on the game's greatest stage. The Dundee goalkeeper is also adamant that, if any of his country's illustrious opponents anticipate Beenhakker's boys proving a flimsy, novelty outfit in Germany, they should brace themselves for a rude awakening.
"I'll say this. The history of the World Cup is littered with massive upsets and, although all three of our group opponents are quality teams and will start as favourites, the beauty of football is that the underdog can always win. We're not going to Germany to be beaten four and five-nil, that's for sure.
"England, Sweden and Paraguay might have the stars, but it's still just 11 v 11 and, if we get it tactically right, which I'm sure we will, we can definitely cause an upset. Leo (Beenhakker) will be crucial in that respect and, really, I don't think we could have anyone better in charge. He'll help make sure that we do ourselves justice and, if we do that, we can all go back home with our heads held high whatever happens."

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 10:44:28 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>