April 25, 2024, 04:14:09 AM

Author Topic: Brian Lara Stadium  (Read 56978 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brian Lara Stadium costing more than the Airport to build.
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »
I hope the press writes and calypsoians sing about this corruption to.. like they did with the Piarco Airport under Panday.

..........like Sugar Aloes and Cro Cro....those masters of the artform??... ::) ::)
Their best work are political songs during non-PNM years.

ENTTTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009, 01:15:11 AM »

A bit disturbing that we are hearing about all this borrowing after the fact.
You would think it would be a burning issue BEFORE the decision was made.

Here it was people thought we just wasting extra money we currently have from Gas revenue.  The debt we hearing about was already presented in the last budget?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Lara is a lucky man yes.
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2009, 04:58:51 AM »
He have a facility in his name in Santa Cruz, the Brian Lara promenade and the Brian Lara Stadium. He more improtant than de PM....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Lara is a lucky man yes.
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 05:10:38 AM »
He have a facility in his name in Santa Cruz, the Brian Lara promenade and the Brian Lara Stadium. He more improtant than de PM....

You got dat right!  ;D
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 05:36:50 PM »
nothing aint going on in santa cruz except for the project/facility that they rebuilding for bout 5 years now,he should give something back to santa cruz that facility is NOT for the santa cruz people.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 10:21:10 PM »
nothing aint going on in santa cruz except for the project/facility that they rebuilding for bout 5 years now,he should give something back to santa cruz that facility is NOT for the santa cruz people.
[/quote]

Who is the facility for?

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 05:36:20 PM »
for who have money,all the little football in the evening done,the night cricket/football/basketball the people will have to pay to use & attend this facility,but we love Lara still so when ever it get done we will fine money :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 01:57:04 PM »

We always go overboard with this stupidness.  A man run one good race he get the highest award, name  a plane after him, a stadium, every damn thing. Then when the next man come.. what?  We go erase he name?

Steuups!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 06:17:23 AM »
UDECOTT IN 'DOGFIGHT'
By NALINEE SEELAL Thursday, June 10 2010

Udecott is demanding that contractor Hafeez Karamath Ltd (HKL) remove ferocious pitbulls from the $885 million Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba where they stand guard round-the-clock, along with their handlers, blocking sub-contractors and Udecott employees from completing construction and outfitting work at the overdue sports facility.

Sources revealed HKL had the unmuzzled dogs placed at the stadium on May 21, following a fallout with Udecott over final payment for work on the project, which includes a cricket academy named after retired star batsman Brian Lara.

HKL was awarded the contract to build the stadium, which was originally scheduled to be completed by 2007 in time for the ICC Cricket World Cup. Its cost estimates have ballooned and the final figure may be an estimated $1 billion.

In his Report of the Commission of Inquiry into Udecott and the construction sector, commission chairman John Uff recommended that HKL be fired and that there be a full review of all contracts for the Tarouba stadium. Uff labelled the behind-scheduled project as “nothing short of scandalous”, “ a national disaster”, a “national disgrace,” and said it raised “serious alarm”.

Just two months after Uff handed over his report to President George Maxwell Richards, which was tabled in Parliament on April 6, Udecott is now in a dogfight with HKL over access to the site and disputed payments.

In a strongly worded letter sent yesterday to Udecott chief legal officer Brandon Primus, project manager for the Tarouba stadium Gerard Niles complained about the presence of the pitbulls, as wells as German mastiffs, which he said were hampering progress at the site.

In his letter he said, “I take this opportunity to alert you to recent events that may have financial and legal repercussions to Udecott. Last Friday, at 10 am, Mervyn Tyrel, a worker employed with McEnearney Business Machines, was startled by one of the dogs on the main level while walking toward the southern side of the stadium.”

“On Sunday, at 7.30 am, WSO Williams, an officer employed with Safety and Security Limited, while on foot-patrol was attacked by one of the dogs on the southern side of the main level. The dog jumped on the security officer’s chest before being called off by its handler.”

Niles called on Primus to address this urgent situation.

In response to Niles’ claims, HKL managing director Ellis Karamath yesterday said he had a security-dog detail assigned to the site to protect expensive equipment at the site.

“What we have been doing is securing what we have put into the stadium to ensure there is no pilfering or theft. That is the main reason because everything that Udecott’s consultants specified on that stadium had to be imported, so if I have to replace anything, it requires me going abroad which will be an added cost to me and the employer, which I am trying to avoid,” Karamath said. He denied Niles had been denied access to the facility but said there are some restrictions to some levels because of an electronic security system which he assured would be disclosed to the client, the Sportts Company of Trinidad and Tobago.

“I am categorically denying the project manager is being denied access to any part of the stadium. What we indicated to Udecott was that the doors carry a special security system which could only be handed over to the end-user, which is the Sportts Company, so therefore nobody has access to it.”

Karamath confirmed HKL did still have outstanding payments due to it by Udecott.

“We have been requesting final accounts from Udecott for the past year, and up to today this matter has not been resolved,” he said.

The dispute between Udecott and HKL over access to the sports facility is detailed in other correspondence between Niles and Primus. The bone of contention may stem from Udecott’s delay in paying HKL, as Karamath indicates. On April 29, Niles informed Primus that he had received a letter from HKL about the final payment. He disclosed that HKL had stopped work at the stadium on April 26.

“HKL’s action is not in accordance with the contract. This work stoppage is contractually premature and debatably without cause,” Niles wrote in a letter to Primus.

Then on April 30, Niles, wrote to Primus again indicating his employees were being refused access to the suite level of the stadium. Niles said he called HKL’s project director Raouf Ali but got no response. He said he went to the suite level where he met one of HKL’s supervisors, accompanied by a member of the security detail.

“I asked him to open the doors. He told me that Mr Raouf Ali instructed him...to close all doors and not allow anyone into the facility,” Niles wrote. He recommended to Primus that four baton security personnel be added to Safety and Security Limited’s present contingent, and also said these officers should be placed on the club, suite, service levels and the media tower.

“If contention with HKL escalates, we may need a further six security officers. The charge-out rate for these officers is $25 plus VAT per hour,” Niles told Primus.

Newsday learnt that on that same day (April 30), HKL was ordered to hand over a copy of all keys, with a tag indicating door or gate assignment, to Udecott by 9 am on May 3.

Sources said HKL was instructed that it would not be permitted to have canine patrols on the facility at any time, but may have a security presence to protect its works if so desired. Udecott’s chief construction engineer Hayden Paul gave the order that Udecott would employ security personnel to provide access to the building structure to any of its contractors, including HKL, as directed by Niles.

Minister of Planning, Economic, Social Restructuring and Gender Affairs Mary King, the line minister for Udecott, said she was unaware of the development since she was overseas since Saturday on a previously-arranged engagement. She would not disclose where she was and what was the event but said it had been arranged before she was asked by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to serve as a government minister and senator.

King was due to return last night and assured she would look into the matter.

“I will be asking for a full report on the incident,” she told Newsday.

King said she had been examining Udecott’s records and projects, including the Tarouba stadium. Commenting briefly on the presence of pitbulls and German mastiffs at the site, King said the country has good dog handlers, and she believed the security and access issue can be resolved.

Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs Anil Roberts, who the Tarouba stadium is expected to be handed over to, yesterday said he too did not know about the problems Udecott has been having to access facility but said he will be visiting the site soon.

“We are in the process of selecting engineers to give us a complete report on the status of the Tarouba stadium with regards to safety, quality of work, and possible timeframe and cost for completion,” Roberts said.

“When we get that report, we will then be able to make informed decisions on the Tarouba stadium.”

Udecott’s public relations co-ordinator Roxanne Stapleton-Whyms, when contacted, said a Udecott team was sent to the stadium yesterday “to get to the bottom of this matter”.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 08:05:31 AM »
I sure Lara must be fedup of hearing he name associated to this stadium
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010, 08:09:28 AM »

Some UNC did say he should have ask 4 he name 2 b remove. He eh go do dat dey should do it 4 him. While dey at it d 1 in S/Cruz as well.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 10:15:19 AM »

I was thinking the same blasted thing.

And is not the BL Stadium, it is the Tarouba Sports complex. The BL stadium is only the cricket stadium (if I am not mistaken).

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 10:18:40 AM »

I was thinking the same blasted thing.

And is not the BL Stadium, it is the Tarouba Sports complex. The BL stadium is only the cricket stadium (if I am not mistaken).

VB

Move 2 d head of d class

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Lara Stadium now budgeted at $1.07b
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 05:46:28 AM »
Lara Stadium now budgeted at $1.07b
T&T Guardian Reports.

The controversial Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba which is yet to be completed has now reached a budget of $1.07 billion. This was disclosed by Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs, Anil Roberts at a media conference held at his head office, Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday. Roberts first noted that the Brian Lara Stadium, in Tarouba is under Udecott which is under the Ministry of Planning so the Ministry of Sports and its Minister  have no standing on that project whatsoever .

But information is that the cost has reached $1.07 billion and its still not outfitted. There are also still questions about the steel work and the wells and so on so if you want more details you have to contact the Udecott board and the Ministry of Planning. However, the sad thing is the former Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs in his wisdom on November 19, 2009 he and the Cabinet of T&T under the Prime Minister Patrick Manning took out a loan from First Citizens Bank for $497 million at 6.5 per cent interest for the completion of the Brian Lara Stadium.

There are reports from Hafeez Karamath Limited that they have not been paid so we don't know where that money went, or if it was paid or not. What is known is that in the last seven months this Ministry which has no control over that project has had to pay loan repayments of $64 million. Asked if he was concerned about the situation Roberts said it concerned him even before they made the first payment.

He added, “If you can remember I was an advisor in the Sports Ministry back in 2002 until January  under Minister Boynes. I sat with him, I advised him and went with details to tell him don’t do it. I said it was madness it was ridiculous and was not the way to go. This was being done all at a cost of $850 million but now it has reached $1.8 billion and the cricket stadium is not finish. 

On completion of the venue, Roberts said Udecott and the Ministry of Planning will hand it over to the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs. “We will have the impossible task of trying to make it financially viable which it will never be. “I don’t see cricket generating that much kind of revenue. When you look at the QP Oval and T&T not even hosting a Test Match this year or over the next two years you ask how are we going to do it.

“We can hardly even fill Guaracara Park so we will be taking ideas from the population. We have in the new structure in the Sport Company of T&T an executive manager of business implementation of business management who will have to try sports tourism and develop a plan to try and mitigate the loss. But once again it will be an impossible task.” The stadiums we have already cost about 1.8 million to maintain a month. So maintenance alone may be close to $400,000 a month. To generate that revenue is going to be a burden on the tax payers.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lara Stadium now budgeted at $1.07b
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »
To generate that revenue is going to be a burden on the tax payers.

Then sell it to a private club.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »
This stadium was to be done in time for the World Cup 2007 . Now World Cup 2011 reach and the stadium eh finish yet  ??? This is real  :bs:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 04:44:06 PM »
Patos let the ball drop on he foot for this one.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
Patos let the ball drop on he foot for this one.

He head u mean knock of d 1% of brain power he had.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »
nah is pp fault!!
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »

I wonder which private club in T&T could purchase it?
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »

Patrick's!!!!!!

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
This project was a failure from the start when you consider we cant even fill Gauracara Park,it was too grand a project for such a small country.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2011, 04:37:07 PM »
This project was a failure from the start when you consider we cant even fill Gauracara Park,it was too grand a project for such a small country.

I don't think it was a necessity, but South do not have an international cricket stadium and Patos wanted to build one for South. North has the Oval, why can't South have something comparable. but Patos things always have to be over the top. This stadium was not going to tbe bigger than the oval in terms of seating capacity. Why all the problems and delays. What was so grand about the project. Well maybe the kickbacks was the problem. The contractor has to answer also. Patos never put his foot down to resolve this fiasco. Especially since it was supposed to be used for the WC warm-up matches.  That is his problem.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2011, 01:01:28 PM »

what's that big conglomerate again ??? ...oh yes ...Warner Bros !!  :rotfl:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Hunt: No Brian Lara Stadium, its Tarouba Sporting Complex.
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2011, 07:36:11 AM »
Tarouba stadium falling apart
...Udecott starts remedial works today
Published: Mon, 2011-02-07 18:29
Radhica Sookraj (Guardian).

As a matter of priority, newly-installed chairman of the Urban Development Corporation (Udecott) Jearlean John is planning to investigate whether contractors are still liable to repair infrastructural defects in the construction of the $1 billion Brian Lara stadium. Sources who spoke with the Guardian yesterday revealed that parts of the stadium, which had not been officially handed over to the Government as yet were falling apart. The media tower was leaking badly and some the seats in the pavilion were broken.

An insider source who works at the site said water was gathering in the gym and the VIP lounge and the roof covering the multi-purpose building was built so high that it could not provide shelter for the 15,000 people who are expected to be accommodated. “The seat infrastructure was supposed to be imported, but they built it here and now it is falling apart...The grounds of the stadium are in good condition but the actual building is getting dilapidated,” the source said. Residents of Tarouba, who live on the outskirts of the stadium, said it was frustrating to see the massive cost overruns at the facility, which is located on 180 acres of land.

Gasparillo resident John Charles said: “It is time that the stadium be put to use...It supposed to be open already but if the place falling apart, the contractor has to be held liable.” The stadium was designed by Hellmuth, Obalat & Kassabum, a US architectural firm. The complex was designed to include an aquatic centre, Olympic-size cycling velodrome, indoor gymnasium, school for training of athletes, a large car park, new roads, the Brian Lara Stadium and a cricket academy.

Yesterday, only a few security guards hired by contractor Hafeez Karamath and Company, as well as Udecott security personnel, were seen milling about on the compound. Media workers were not allowed on the premises but evidence of the stained, mossy roof could be spotted from the highway. Last Thursday, Minister of Planning, Economic, Social Restructuring and Gender Affairs Mary King said the final cost for the stadium was put at more than $1 billion, and due to errors on the structure of the stadium that needed to be fixed, the stadium could not be handed over to the Ministry of Sport.

She indicated that the new Udecott board, headed by John, which was approved by Cabinet last Thursday, would soon be addressing final structural repairs to the controversial Tarouba stadium as a matter of priority. Contacted yesterday, John said she would be looking at the existing contracts to determine whether contractors were still liable for defects at the building. “I expect to start work today...The board was appointed on Friday and next Friday, we will attend a board meeting,” she said.

“The issues at the stadium will be the first thing on the agenda,” John said. “We are doing our investigations to determine the scope of the remedial works. “There is a liability period and most likely there will be provisions for defects. I am hoping that we are still in the warranty period, but if that liability period is over we will have to go out and tender.” Asked whether the contractors will face any penalties for poor work, John said she would have to investigate before determining whether the contractor could be held accountable for defects. She said although she was chairman of Udecott for eight months under the PNM, she did not have all the facts.

“When I go to work tomorrow, I will sit down and deal with all the hard issues, which I am familiar with, and we are going to move swiftly to take all the action that is required to get the stadium open,” John said.
The stadium was expected to be completed since 2007 to host matches during the 2007 Cricket World Cup. Sources said several contractors who carried out work at the Tarouba Stadium were still owed lucrative sums of money, including Hafeez Karamath and Company.

The stained, leaking roof of the Brian Lara Stadium. PHOTOS: RISHI RAGOONATH
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 05:06:38 AM »
$1.1B to finish Lara Stadium
By RICHARDSON DHALAI Wednesday, June 8 2011

HOUSING and the Environment Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal yesterday described as “a headache” the incomplete Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba, construction of which started under the last PNM government, and to date has cost taxpayers a massive $900 million, with final cost to complete put at $1.1 billion.

He led a delegation comprising his ministry’s technocrats and engineers, officials from the project’s facilitator the Urban Development Corporation (Udecott) led by its chairman Jearlean John, officials from the Shanghai Construction Group — which is building the stadium and a team of journalists, to the stadium site.

As Moonilal and the team went to the dressing room, they were greeted by the stench of wet carpet as rainwater had soaked the flooring.

Moonilal said the tour revealed a number of problems and issues with the stadium’s infrastructure including inadequate pavilion shelter, flooded drains and unkept grounds. He said a note will be taken to Cabinet to determine the way forward for the stalled facility.

“This (project) began at $357 million and now it is over $900 million dollars. From what we saw this morning, it would take some significant resources to continue this project,” Moonilal said.

“The Brian Lara stadium is a headache at this time because to go forward, we will have to expend enormous resources, if you park it up, you have wasted enormous resources. So that is the decision we have to make,” Moonilal said.

On the tour, reporters witnessed clogged drains, moss and mildew-covered stairs and weeds overtaking the play field and surrounding area. Loose electrical wiring hung from the ceiling while there were several major cracks in the glass window panes ringing the VIP section.

Moonilal pointed out that the stadium had been the subject of the Professor John Uff-led Commission of Inquiry and noted that one of the reasons for the escalating cost was the, “over design”, of the facility.

“We will have to make a report from today and take to Cabinet for a decision on what we do with this and whether or not we move to the completion of this,” he said, adding, “There are some significant resources, it might be over $100 million or more...the final cost at this stage is about $1.1 billion.”

Asked whether this or successive governments would be able to recoup the $1.1 billion it will cost to complete this stadium, Moonilal said, “I don’t think in my lifetime it will.”

Asked whether anyone is going to be held accountable for this massive expenditure of State funds on a project that cannot seem to be completed, Moonilal said Attorney General Anand Ramlogan is looking into the matter. “We have further investigations based on the Uff Commission of Inquiry...so one never knows how that would go.”

“The big question for us now is, do we park it up and leave it as an eyesore for all to see in Tarouba? Or do we try and finish it and have some type of utility value regarding the staging of international sporting events? The expenditure of a major amount of money to complete this project is something Cabinet has to consider,” Moonilal said.

This stadium, the brain child of former prime minister and now suspended San Fernando East MP Patrick Manning, was conceptualised as part of a larger sporting facility with construction starting in 2006. Five years and close to $1 billion later, the stadium is nowhere near completion.

It was projected that construction would have been completed in time to hold a an international Twenty20 cricket match in the run up to the ICC 2006 Cricket World Cup staged in the Caribbean.

On an April 15, 2008 tour of the stadium, then Udecott executive chairman Calder Hart confidently predicted that this stadium would be completed by July 2008. Hart who oversaw the expenditure of billions of taxpayers’ dollars while in charge of Udecott, subsequently resigned and later fled the country in the run up to the May 24, 2010 General Election.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 06:35:47 AM »
smh. Monumental waste .

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 07:26:50 AM »
Any thoughts from Lara about the Stadium that bears his name...?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 08:07:37 AM »
Any thoughts from Lara about the Stadium that bears his name...?

Lara is 2much of a diplomat 2 comment about this disaster that carries his name.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »
I hope the press writes and calypsoians sing about this corruption to.. like they did with the Piarco Airport under Panday.

..........like Sugar Aloes and Cro Cro....those masters of the artform??... ::) ::)
Their best work are political songs during non-PNM years.

Joh Gol, that's not true. PNM got it good when they were in power. Go and research all them kaiso from Sparrow, Chalkie, Valentino, Stalin, Shorty, Luta and many more. Aloes and Cro-Cro are very partisan. But that is their choice. You don't have to support them.

1]; } ?>