March 28, 2024, 12:52:57 PM

Author Topic: Brian Lara Stadium  (Read 55971 times)

socafighter

Re: Brian Lara: Why I'm helping build a cricket stadium in Rwanda
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2014, 12:21:27 PM »

Keep up the great work Mr Lara ... :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2014, 09:41:45 AM »
Well done to the Prince of Port Of Spain

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »
Stive on Fatima Boy
Stive on.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

socafighter

Lara assists Rwandan cricket West Indies legend helping to build cricket ground
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2014, 07:11:18 AM »
Lara assists Rwandan cricket
West Indies legend helping to build cricket ground

Story Created: Sep 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM ECT
Express

West Indies batting legend Brian Lara is now helping to develop cricket in Rwanda.

This year marked not only the 20th year since Lara first held the Test match batting world record after scoring 375, but it is also two decades since the Rwandan genocide, and Lara is now assisting in developing a ground for budding cricketers in that African country.

The former West Indies captain explained his involvement in the project in a column in Britain’s Spectator newspaper.

He wrote: “Every evening when I turned on the TV (in 1994) there were images of the genocide in Rwanda, and the contrast with my own feelings of euphoria haunted me.

It wasn’t until 2009 that I actually visited Rwanda, but when I did I knew I had to help in some way, and hearing the story of a young cricketer called Audifax Byiringiro helped me start to realise what I should do.”

He wrote of Byiringiro: “In April 1994, as I was gearing up for my golden summer, Audifax Byiringiro was a six-month-old baby in Rwanda. Audifax and his family—his mother, father and three siblings—sought refuge from the violence as nearly a million Tutsis were killed by their Hutu countrymen. For more than a month they faced death daily at rebel road blocks as they fled from the brutality, but by June his father and three siblings had been murdered and only he and his mother remained.

One day in the same month, on a field in a school in Kigali, 2,500 Rwandans were abandoned by UN peacekeepers and attacked by local militia with machetes, grenades and guns. The massacre took just a few hours, and by nightfall all but 50 were dead.”

Today, the scene of that bloodshed is the site where a 14-year-old Audifax played his first cricket game. The sport had been brought to the country by Rwandans returning from exile in Kenya and Uganda.

Lara first met the young Rwandan there on his first to the country in 2009.

“I was struck then by the way that cricket had changed Audifax’s life,” Lara wrote in his piece. “He spent hours honing his skills with bat and ball before and after school, and it gave him focus and discipline. Over the next few years, he became a fixture in the national team, and in 2011 he was even asked by a cricket club in Cornwall to be their overseas professional for the season, although his visa request was turned down. He now coaches in schools, orphanages and universities across the country, sharing his love of cricket with Rwandan boys and girls from all different backgrounds while excelling in his own studies (his most recent exam results were the highest in the country).”

Lara added that, “in 2011, I and a group of cricketing evangelists from England formed the Rwanda Cricket Stadium Foundation (www.rcsf.org.uk), in partnership with the MCC Foundation, to build a high-quality permanent home for Rwandan cricket....Once built, the new ground will provide a place for the national team to train, for schoolchildren to be coached, for people who have never seen the game before to become hooked, the same way both Audifax and I did. There will be accommodation for visitors from around Rwanda and touring teams from abroad to stay.”

According to the piece, the Foundation is more than halfway towards its target of raising £600,000 to lay two wickets and build a small pavilion.

Yesterday, to aid with fundraising, Lara was due to lead an Invitational XI against a Warwickshire CCC 1990s XI, led by former skipper Tim Munton at Wormsley,
England.

socafighter

Nice to see , news about Lara  :applause: :applause: :applause:

socafighter

The Brian Lara Stadium can be useful!
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2014, 07:40:16 AM »
The Brian Lara Stadium can be useful!

Alvin Corneal
Published: Guardian
Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Let me begin by saying that building a cricket stadium with the magnitude of the one which is present, but unfinished, is not a project that I would have endorsed at any time. An International cricket stadium is not needed in T&T, regardless of where it is built. Maybe twenty years ago, the project may have sounded like a great idea as many exciting cricket matches were played locally and fans gave excellent support to these matches.

We also had the opportunity to host two Test matches annually, plus some high profile regional matches where the great West Indian Cricketers represented their countries with pride and an absolute desire to show the world that they are the best in the region. Foreign teams also played against the national teams in every country and sometimes two four day matches against T&T.

The main venue for our International cricket was and still is the Queen’s Park Oval and despite the absence of Test matches here in the recent past, the choice for any other match will be the Oval. Because it is in the Centre of the Capital city, it has adequate transport system to travel in and out of the city, where the major hotels for tourists who visit to attend matches, are mostly walking distance from the Oval.

So regardless of what the venue cost the people of this country in my opinion, was a decision which was not given sufficient thought. This huge edifice was given the name “Brian Lara Stadium”, the ideal tribute to the world’s record holder with highest scores in Test cricket and first class cricket. But the debate which seem to occupy the attention of almost every one for different reasons, remains an image of a wanton waste of money, which could have been used for sport in a much methodical manner.

It makes no sense looking back at the financial investment gone bad, does not change the abysmal state of affairs where the ground which was supposed to be completed some years ago, is now the subject of criticism from, both sides of the parliamentary benches. I have even heard that the local cricket authority would like to have the North/South Classic match played at the incomplete venue when the Queen’s Park and Guaracara Park are ready for play, with only pitch preparation needing a few days before the competition starts.

What about T&T’s Sports Academy?

With all this emphasis placed upon the funding of our Elite athletes annually so that they can achieve their goals when the big international events come around. Preparing athletes for the future does not necessarily mean placing money in their hands without knowing their needs in terms of all aspects of their development and progress. I strongly recommend to the persons responsible for making these decisions, that this venue be turned into the country’s oven for bringing our promising athletes from the various sporting disciplines into a high performance center for the major sports of Football, cricket, Track and field, Swimming, Netball, Cycling, Field hockey, Volleyball, Basketball, Table tennis and Tennis just to name a few.

The clientele for entry into this pristine institution must be carefully screened in their early teens, where coaches of quality can observe potential in their early stages.  They must also be made to understand that their education is an integral part of their preparation, hence the reason why they should be attending academic classes for a portion of the time of day, with the same seriousness which they will approach their sporting discipline. There is sufficient space for the addition of a few tennis courts, a volleyball centre which can serve for basketball, netball and other indoor sports, while the practical venues for Track and field can be held at the nearby Manny Ramjohn Stadium.

Our new cycling track and swimming pool can serve its purpose, while the top portion of the stadium can be changed into classrooms where these potential stars can make academic intelligence be a part of their success. So please desist from the negatives and criticism from the politicians and for one moment in time, get your act together and let us give Brian Lara a venue for which he can be proud.

socafighter

Moonilal: $189m more to complete facility...Brian Lara Stadium...
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2014, 07:10:15 AM »
T&T to pay off stadium loan in 2019
...as Govt looks to pursue claims against contractors of $497m Lara Stadium

By in parliament \\\\\ Ria Taitt Political Editor
Story Created: Sep 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM ECT
Express

The Trinidad and Tobago taxpayer has to pay $67 million annually until September 2019 to repay the $497.3 million loan taken in 2009 to construct the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba.

This was revealed by Minister of Sport Rupert Griffith as he responded to questions from Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal, during yesterday’s meeting of the Standing Finance Committee at Tower D, International Waterfront Centre, Port of Spain.

Moonilal later revealed, in response to questions from Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley, Government was “keeping its eye on the legal clock”, with respect to pursuing claims against contractors who are liable for some of the construction defects at the facility, which is still to be opened.

Saying he was under the impression the money for the Brian Lara Stadium had come from the Consolidated Fund (directly from the Treasury), Moonilal stated: “ I am seeing a massive loan here (in the Draft Estimates of Expenditure 2015) of $67 million to be spent every year.... My ten-week-old child have to pay a loan for the Brian Lara Stadium?” he asked.

The questions provoked an uproar from the Opposition bench and committee chairman Wade Mark had to threaten to invoke the Standing Orders to keep members in line.

“You may not like what is being asked, but each member has a right to ask a question.... When you ask questions on the Opposition bench, the Government does not like it; and when the Government asks, the Opposition doesn’t like it.... But I have to protect everyone,” Mark said as he appealed to Opposition members to allow Griffith to answer the question.

Rowley later asked whether the ministry had paid attention to the liability of contractors for the litany of shortcomings outlined by Moonilal outlined and whe­ther Government was keeping its eye on the matter being statute-barred.

Moonilal said he wanted to assure Rowley UDeCOTT’s technical people were working side by side with its legal team on the issue of contract administration and liability.

“We also have the issue of arbitration and the possibility that we may have to arbitrate over some of

those matters,” he said. “We are keeping our eyes on the legal clock ...on the issues of liability (of contractors), and we are working with contractors so that we can come to a legal solution,” he said.

Moonilal: $189m more to complete facility
Story Created: Sep 25, 2014 at 10:23 PM ECT
Express
Rowley later asked Moonilal whether any technical assessment was done to bring the stadium to a state of completion and what date was it likely to be brought into use.
Moonilal, who said the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT), which falls under his portfolio, had responsibility for the stadium, added the Government had engaged professional people to do an assessment of the facility and what was required to complete it.
Moonilal said the report, which was done a year ago, estimated it would cost $189 million to complete the facility, which requires roofing work, “massive infrastructure work because the stadium was built in the canefield” and extensive drainage work.
He said he was quite prepared to share the professional report on the stadium with Rowley, as well as the report on Las Alturas.

socafighter

Re: Moonilal: $189m more to complete facility...Brian Lara Stadium...
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2014, 07:15:43 AM »
TTCB encouraged by Moonilal comments
Story Created: Sep 27, 2014 at 9:35 PM ECT
Express

The Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board is heartened by recent statements concerning the Brian Lara Stadium at Toruba by Minister of Housing Dr Roodal Moonilal.

Originally scheduled to be completed in time for the ICC World Cricket Cup in 2007 when it was staged for the first time in the Caribbean, the stadium was originally estimated to cost $500 million but which has now escalated to over one billion.

President of the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board of Control (TTCB), Azim Bassarath, said on Thursday that Moonilal should be complimented for his “brave and courageous” statements.

Speaking to the Chaguanas Chamber of Commerce recently, the minister spoke of the intention to have the facility completed and that it could cost in the vicinity of another $130 million before the first ball is bowled.

“The statement of intent by Dr Moonilal is sweet music to our ears. We have been clamouring for the completion of the Brian Lara Stadium for many years, so we are quite happy to hear that it could soon be opened to the public of Trinidad and Tobago,” said Bassarath.

The Brian Lara Stadium was conceptualised as a state of the art cricket facility which will be used for both training purposes for elite cricketers and also to stage matches. However the project has been stymied over the years as the existing infrastructure has been left to the mercy of the elements.

Bassarath and the TTCB has been a keen advocate for the completion of the stadium because he believes that cricket seriously needs an international standard venue in the south of the country.

Currently all regional and international matches must be played at the famed Queen’s Park Oval in Port of Spain which is privately owned by the Queen’s Park Cricket Club and represents a huge cost factor for the TTCB and the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) every cricket season.

Bassarath said on Thursday that he hopes that a request by the TTCB for a tour of the facility with UDecott, the state company tasked with its construction, will be possible in the near future.

“We are optimistic that we can go on a tour of the stadium to assess what needs to be done and identify possible problems going forward. We can also provide whatever technical advice is needed,” said Bassarath.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Stadium to be named after Brian Lara.
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2015, 02:32:08 AM »
Sancho visits site for Lara recreation ground.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Minister of Sport Brent Sancho visited the Brian Lara Recreation Ground yesterday in an effort to understand the scope of construction being undertaken by the Sports Company of T&T.

Accompanied by West Indies legend Brian Lara, Minister Sancho viewed drawings and was updated by contractors on the progress at the Ground, which when completed will feature a 500-seat pavilion with change rooms and storage areas, car park, cricket nets, an outdoor basketball court and a children's play park.

Lara concurred with Minister Sancho about the facility's potential to earn revenue with the installation of concession stands and advertising boards.

The Sport Minister is very keen on exploring income-generating opportunities for regional recreation grounds across the country, which will serve as a boost to the community's business prospects as well as contribute to the country's sport tourism product.

Minister Sancho indicated that he was grateful to have input from Lara and is of the view that elite athletes should be consulted when facilities are being built, as their experiences of competing at international venues was invaluable to the development of the local sporting infrastructure.

As such, the former West Indies captain pointed out that in his view, the outfield and pitch at the Ground were of a high enough quality to permit warm-up, practice and training sessions for visiting regional and international teams as well as community level interventions for football and cricket.

The contractor on the project CG Construction estimated a 14-week timeline for completion of the Ground.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2015, 06:30:28 AM »
Just for clarity... that article have to do with the grounds in santa cruz... I'm not even sure Lara still lending his name to the tarouba fiasco.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2015, 06:26:59 PM »
I think this is the ground in Santa Cruz. Anytime I hear, read or see anything about the Lara in Torouba, I does feel sick.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:29:06 PM by Deeks »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2015, 04:54:05 AM »
I think this is the ground in Santa Cruz. Anytime I hear, read or see anything about the Lara in Torouba, I does feel sick.

As Weary would say: Co sign.

Lara Recreation Ground and BL Stadium different entities.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2015, 02:48:23 AM »
Sancho laments state of Lara stadium
Sport Minister endorses ‘Prince of Port of Spain’ to head WICB
By Sue-Ann Wayow (Express)

Sport Minister Brent Sancho said although the controversial stadium in Tarouba was not yet under his ministry it was disappointing to know it has not yet been completed and in use.

Speaking to the media on Wednesday, during a tour of the National Cycling Velodrome in Couva, Sancho said: “It is a disappointment when you look at the amount of money spent and it is just sitting there. I would hope that at some point some sort of salvaging can be done.

‘’I want to see proper usage. I want to see it become an income generator for the country... I want to see less taxpayers dollars being spent and even if it is spent it is an investment and this investment can grow into monies being earned,” he added.

The stadium, which began under the previous government, is now under the purview of the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (UDeCOTT). Sancho also noted that sport was tarnished and the best people to have administrative roles would be ex-players because they understood the system.

“Sports has such a tainted name to it now because when you look at all the infighting that is happening in administration and all the different bacchanal it leaves a tainted name and people sometimes wonder why corporate Trinidad (and Tobago) does not want to get involved. When you open the back pages, it is always some sort of controversy and we need to move away from that,” continued Sancho.

He said cricket icon Brian Lara would be best suited to lead the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).

Asked if he would be supportive of Lara, should he be given the responsibility of leading the regional board, Sancho said: “I would definitely support him. Brian would have played all over the world... he would understand what an athlete needs and I think this is a lot of what we have been missing,” contends Sancho.

‘’We need people at the helm that understand what athletes need and administrators are just a supplement or medium to get the best out of our athletes. We have to step aside and do what is necessary for them to continue to move forward,” he added.

And Sancho says he continues to support the West Indies cricket team although he admitted at not being happy with the team’s selection for the match against India, which the Caribbean side lost yesterday.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Brian Lara Stadium
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2015, 04:42:00 AM »
Smith promises decision on Brian Lara Stadium
T&T Guardian Reports.

Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs Darryl Smith is enthusiastic about T&T’s chances at the coming Olympic Games in Rio de Janiero, Brazil next year as well as having the “Soca Warriors” qualify for the World Cup in 2018. 

Contacted yesterday, Smith said he was really pleased with the work of national football coach Stephen Hart and felt that the country has a great chance of qualifying for the World Cup for yet another time. He is also eyeing a number of medals at the Olympics and is as optimistic as T&T Olympic Committee (TTOC) president Brian Lewis, who expressed the belief that T&T will win ten or more Olympic gold medals.

Smith, who is known for his hard working nature at the Diego Martin Regional Corporation, has promised that a decision will be made on the incomplete Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba before his term of office came to an end.

He did not visit the Brian Lara Stadium during his tour of the sporting facilities but said he will have to do so very soon.

“I have never been to the Brian Lara Stadium and it is only when I go there then I will know what has to be done. I will have to get the engineers and all the necessary people with me before that visit,” Smith said.

Smith said life at his ministry was now returning to a state of normalcy following the stint of the previous government and said all will be done to ensure that athletes get the required assistance they need to perform at the top level. 

He told the Guardian his aim now was to clean up sports in T&T and get corporate citizens to support it once again. 

Only recently Smith made a tour of the new Aquatic Centre and Tennis Facility in Tacarigua and the Cycledrome in Couva to determine their state of readiness for competition ahead of the Olympics. However he said a lot still needed to be done before the facilities can be opened officially for action.

“I really need to get the athletes inside those facilities as soon as possible so work will continue at a pace to try and achieve this,” Smith said. He added that tenders for a maintenance contractor will be sent out soon before the completion of the facilities as it was equally important to keep them well kept.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2015, 05:47:18 PM »

LIFE FOR TAROUBA*

Rowley vows cricket will be played at Brian Lara Stadium

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151031/news/life-for-tarouba

THE mothballed Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba will be completed and cricket will be played there.

This was the dramatic assurance given by Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley at Piggott's Corner, Belmont, during a post-budget national public meeting on Friday night.

The Tarouba facility, named in honour of the historic achievements of cricketing icon Brian Charles Lara and which has long been mired in controversy, will be brought to fruition.

The stadium was to be one of the venues for the Cricket World Cup 2007 but was plagued by delays and cost overruns and became one of the main projects probed by the Uff Commission of Enquiry into the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT), first called for by Rowley, then a PNM back-bencher.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2015, 05:47:53 PM »
I know Deeks will be happy after reading the above article. Brian Lara stadium will be completed

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2015, 06:08:21 PM »
I know Deeks will be happy after reading the above article. Brian Lara stadium will be completed

Yes, finally South will have a stadium of international standard where test matches can be played. Take the Rapid Rail to Sando for a test match for once in your life.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2015, 06:18:11 PM »

Yes, finally South will have a stadium of international standard where test matches can be played. Take the Rapid Rail to Sando for a test match for once in your life.

Well I consider Torouba in Central and not South but I understand your point. Also the rapid rail should have a trini-train stop at the Lara stadium because the Sando stop will not be close to Torouba.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2015, 08:33:37 PM »

Sando why you consider Tarouba as being in Central. On the map is just a few miles northeast of Sando.

Well I consider Torouba in Central and not South but I understand your point. Also the rapid rail should have a trini-train stop at the Lara stadium because the Sando stop will not be close to Torouba.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Deeks Torouba like Gasparillo and Claxton Bay is part of the Pointe-a-Pierre voting constituency which is considered one of the Central constituencies in Trini

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2016, 02:58:09 AM »
Work finally re-starts at Tarouba Stadium.
By Vinode Mamchan (Guardian).

Sports in Southern Trinidad got a shot in the arm on Sunday when work re-started at the Tarouba Stadium. Whilst officials of UDeCOTT were visiting the controversial venue, clean up exercises were on the way at what was supposed to be the pride of South in terms of Sporting arenas.

The facility which started in 2002 was shelved by the People’s Partnership Government, as they spoke of poor construction and movement of the land that the Stadium was constructed on.

The facility which was to bear the name of the legendary Brian Lara, was supposed to be finished in time for the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup in the Caribbean. There were three warm-up matches carded for the venue and at the time the six cricket pitches were constructed but the stands and players area were not ready.

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley recently announced that TT$90M will be spent in an effort to refurbish the venue to have it ready for sports soon. On Sunday officials heard from media personalities on what is required to get the facility up to world standard in terms of communications. Guardian Media’s Vinode Mamchan and a host of visitors from ESPN on the invitation of Baldath Mahabir of the T&T Cricket Board (TTCB) visited the venue and held discussions with UDeCOTT officials.

According to Mahabir, if the ground is completed it will put T&T in a better position to bid for internationals matches. “When this facility is finished, it will put us in a better position to bid for international matches because the facility will be owned by the government and we would not have to fork out the amount of money that has to be paid to Queen’s Park for renting the venue. When you put it in this context it makes it easier for the country to bid for matches when the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) hosts international teams.”

Mahabir also added that cricket fans in South Trinidad has been denied top level cricket because no matches can be hosted at Guaracara Park anymore. “Due to health and safety concerns we are not able to host matches at Guaracara Park and fans from the vast southern area has suffered the consequences. Once this facility is up and running, they will be able to get top level cricket played in their backyard.

SSCL opens onThursday

The Secondary Schools’ Cricket League opening ceremony and Super Sixes tournament takes place this Thursday at the Fatima College grounds, Mucurapo Road, Port of Spain starting at 8.30 am.

The format for the day’s proceedings is a “walk pass” followed by a cheerleading competition and Super Sixes tournament. This year marks a special occasion as the Secondary Schools’ Cricket League and PowerGen celebrate this milestone in the annals of cricket history with the theme, “The Power of 20 – Celebrating 20 years of promoting youth development through sports and education.”

This year marks 20 years of Sponsorship by the Power Generation Company of Trinidad and Tobago (PowerGen). The cheerleading Competition is expected to be keenly contested between teams from the East, South and Central Zones of the SSCL. There would also be moko jumbies and a dance item by students of the Barataria South Secondary School to commemorate this special occasion.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2016, 11:30:30 PM »
For all that money spent, allyuh don't think that could have been a better looking stadium?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2016, 08:47:56 AM »

Work starts at Brian Lara Stadium*

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160119/news/work-starts-at-brian-lara-stadium

CLEAN-UP work has begun on the controversial, moth-balled Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba.
And refurbishment work, expected to cost $90 million, is to begin next month, says Noel Garcia, chairman of the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT).

Garcia told the Express on Monday that the clean-up work started last week.
“We have finalised all of the planning work. We have divided the work into packages. That is one of the objectives, asking small contractors to tender. All the packaging works are going out to tender, it starts sometime soon, by next week.”
He said no one contractor will be given the award to repair the entire stadium. Small contractors would focus on areas including electrical, landscaping, fencing, plumbing, air-conditioning, and elevators.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2016, 09:28:58 PM »

Deadline set*

Regional cricket at Lara Stadium by year’s end

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160219/sports/deadline-set

THE BRIAN Lara Stadium in Tarouba is set to host opening round matches in the West Indies Premier Cricket League (PCL) Four-Day Tournament in the 2016-2017 season which gets under way in November-December. And the Minister of Sport, Darryl Smith, says this gives his ministry a target to have the stadium completed and ready by that time.

President of the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) Azim Bassarath, made the announcement as he spoke on Thursday at a function, organised jointly by the TTCB and the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs, to honour Jyd Goolie and Kirstan Kallicharan, members of the ICC Under-19 World Cup-winning West Indies team in Bangladesh.

Bassarath made the declaration just 24 hours after the TTCB executive heard an encouraging presentation from the ministry’s team tasked with having the facility ready, nearly a decade after it had been started and originally intended to host matches in the 2007 World Cup.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2016, 09:58:41 PM »
Clean-up at Tarouba stadium almost complete*

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160406/news/clean-up-at-tarouba-stadium-almost-complete

TAROUBA

WHILE Trinidad and Tobago celebrated the arrival of the women West Indies cricket players yesterday, Sport Minister Darryl Smith said the country had another reason to celebrate.

That reason is the progression of the Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Tarouba.
Smith told the Express yesterday clean-up operations which began in February were almost completed and soon tenders would be sent out for repairs and refurbishment.

The clean-up works would have included removing water-logged carpets, clearing of bush and old material and equipment, and moving electrical wires.
Smith said since the mothballed stadium that began under the Patrick Manning-led administration was so deteriorated, extensive clean-up operations needed to be done.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2017, 04:02:49 AM »
Lara to feature at Tarouba Stadium opening
By CLINT CHAN TACK (NEWSDAY).

FORMER West Indies captain Brian Lara and other international cricketers could grace the opening of the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba. Sports Minister Daryl Smith dropped this hint when he spoke at the post-Cabinet news conference at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann’s yesterday.

Smith reiterated the Government’s and his personal commitment to Trinidad and Tobago’s elite athletes and announced the staging of two major sporting events in the twin-island republic later this year.

Smith said work on the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba is continuing apace and Lara has been, “very, very happy with the work so far.” As someone who has played in some of the world’s greatest cricket arenas, Smith said Lara has been “bringing new ideas” for the Stadium which was conceptualised over a decade ago.

He said there is an opening date for the Stadium and Lara is interested in having certain persons, including his “international icons from around the world” attending the opening. Smith said this would have to be approved by Cabinet.

Indicating that the outfield at the Stadium is “beautiful” and work is taking place on the pitch, Smith said in the coming weeks, “Brian and a couple other high schools and UWI” will be testing the pitch. He added everyone is excited that T&T will soon have “a world class cricket facility.” Indicating the Elite Athlete Programme is a key part of the National Sporting Policy which is being fleshed out, Smith said the Ministry recently issued a statement in which it spoke about $24 million being allocated to this programme.

“NAAA (National Association of Athletics Administrations of TT) athletes got over 70 percent of that money,” he stated. Smith said he has an open door policy and works closely with all athletes.

He reiterated that he and the Government are, “all about the athletes first and the young people of T&T.” He added, “What we have been doing is tightening up as regards to the loopholes that occurred in the last four five years.” Smith announced that on March 26, the TT Hockey Federation will host the International Hockey Federation World League Round Two. He said this tournament will bring between 500 and 700 athletes and fans to this country. Smith listed Chile, Japan, Switzerland, Russia, USA and Barbados as some of the countries that will be competing alongside hosts T&T.

He said the astro turf at the National Hockey Centre in Tacarigua will be upgraded for the tournament. Smith also said the existing turf, which has about two years life left in it, will be given to the Petrotrin Sports Club in Pointe-a-Pierre. Smith announced that in June and July, this country will host the Central American and Caribbean Swimming Championships (CCCAN) for the first time.

Indicating this tournament will involve approximately 1,000 athletes, Smith said for the first time there will be swimming, diving, water polo and synchronised swimming taking place in one competition in T&T.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2017, 03:39:18 PM »
No disrespect to Ato, Brian, Crawfie, Larry, Manny,  York, Jean and soon to be Keshorn. But I think the Govt should try to sell naming rights of all the major sporting facilities in the country. Put statutes and memorial plaques in front of the stadiums. But try to make more money for these stadiums. Carnival fetes go a long way. Football don't draw big crowds as it used too do.  We have 9 major sporting facilities to maintain. Naming rights could go a long way to help  defray the costs.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:44:19 PM by Deeks »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2017, 05:43:32 AM »
Lara is happy with his Tarouba stadium
...he is involved in its completion, says Sports Minister
By Ria Taitt Multimedia Desk

Brian Lara is happy with the work being done on the Brian Lara Tarouba Stadium.

The cricketing legend had once stated that he regretted having his name attached to the Stadium which had been mired previously in controversy and plagued by delays and cost overturns under the Manning administration.

UDeCOTT's original management of the project had been scrutinised and criticised by the Uff Commission of Enquiry in 2009-2010.

The project was untouched during the five years of the People's Partnership, but Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley, noting that hundreds of millions had already been spent on it, committed his Government to completing the project.

Yesterday speaking at yesterday's post Cabinet news conference at the Diplomatic Centre, Smith gave an update on the project which began in 2006.

“You may be seeing soon, in the next few weeks Brian himself and a couple of high schools and UWI just testing the pitch,” he said.

“Work is continuing...they are working on the pitch now,.. Mr Lara has been very very happy with the work so far and we have involved him in the whole process for the first time...Because I don't think there is anybody in the region and probably the world, who has played in the best facilities across the globe so he is bringing new ideas because the design dated back a few years”.

The Minister said Government was also talking to Lara about the opening of the Stadium as well. “He has some ideas for the opening and a date that we can have the opening where him could have certain persons, international icons, who can come,” he said.

“We in the Government are excited along with the public at having for the first time a world class cricket facility,” Smith said.

Some of the chairs at the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba that have since been replaced. Photo: DEXTER PHILIP

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2017, 01:53:42 AM »
Spanking new Lara stadium to open in May.

The impressive Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba is set to officially open in May of this year, according to Minister of Sport Darryl Smith.

Smith led the media on a tour of the facility yesterday and the stadium looks in “tip top” condition. The impressive facility which has been used as a political tool for many years is finally going to open for business in May and this prompted Smith to remark: “Was this so difficult?” In obvious reference to the 10-year delay in opening the facility.

Originally this facility was due to be completed in 2007 to host warm-up games for the World Cup that was staged in the Caribbean. The construction was stopped by the Patrick Manning administration after it was clear it would not have been ready for the 2007 event.

Manning lost the subsequent general elections and the facility was ignored under the People’s Partnership government.

Smith said: “We have lost a generation because of the politics that has been played out with this stadium. Today we all feel a sense of pride as we see clips of Brian Lara breaking the world record, imagine how many records and special moments we could have had at this venue in the last 10 years.

“When the PNM came into power we promised to get this facility completed and under my watch, I have done that and well within budget. We set aside $90M for the renovation and completion and we have delivered at a cost of $86, 356,723,08. This stadium was 90 per cent complete but after being ignored it deteriorated and we had to spend the sum I called to finish it.”

Smith said this was phase one of the project and he was meeting with cabinet to get approval to finish the next phase which was the Brian Lara Academy.

“Remember initially this was to be called the Brian Lara Academy however we have had a slight change with the Stadium being completed first and now we move on to the Academy. Brian Lara has been integrally involved in advising what is best and we were looking to house young cricketers here in camps from UTT but he wanted that changed, as he wanted primary schools cricketers involved and this is what we are going to do,” he said.

The T&T Cricket Board (TTCB) has been working closely with the government on this project and very soon consultant Manohar Ramsaran the former minister of Sport, will communicate with the International Cricket Council (ICC) to get their approval for the venue.

Then and only then, the facility will be able to host international matches.

As far as the popular Caribbean Premier League (CPL) was concerned, minister Smith said: “We would love to have the CPL here but it is all up to the ground be totally ready for that level of cricket. Everything is up to world standard here, the only thing is that the pitch needs some work and this will be done right away to get it up to the standard where we want it to be.”

Up until the wee hours of the morning yesterday Pooran and Amzad Ogeer Maintenance was working to make the site top notch and they came in for high praise from Udecott officials.

Sports Minister Darryl Smith looks at the view from the Minister Box at the Brian Lara Stadium,Torouba during the tour yesterday. PHOTO: RISHI RAGOONATH

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2017, 01:59:26 AM »
CPL matches unsure for new Lara Stadium

While the government of T&T would love to stage matches in the 2017 Caribbean Premier League at the Brian Lara Stadium, no one can say if that will be the case.

Minister of Sport Darryl Smith speaking to the media on Wednesday at the Tarouba facility said: “At this point in time we don’t have a pitch that is ready for action.

“We have everything else but the pitch has to get some work and until we can get that in top shape, we can’t say for sure if the CPL matches will be played here.

“We would love to stage the CPL matches here because we have a world class venue.”

Ian Telfer from Udecott said that officials of CPL had visited the venue earlier and they are very impressed with what they have seen.

“The CPL officials have been here and they like what they see and in fact they said to us that this is the best venue they have seen in the Caribbean.”

Guardian Media spoke to Damien O’Donohue the CEO of CPL, Damien O’Donohue and he confirmed that they visited the venue two weeks ago.

“We were there on the weekend and while we like the venue and would love to play cricket there, we are not sure if it will be ready for action in time for us to consider using it for the CPL.

“The venue looks really good, there is ample parking space and fans I think would love it there but we need to have it 100 per cent ready to even think of getting the games there.

“However, we are in talks with the government and we are looking to play matches there once it is ready for cricket.”

The Irishman added that they are also in contact with Queen’s Park Cricket Club (QPCC), where they normally stage the matches.

“We are also in contact with Queen’s Park, so we will see how it go but I can tell you that there is no better place than Trinidad to play cricket and we are happy to have options down there.”

Brian Lara Stadium at night

1]; } ?>