April 25, 2024, 01:48:39 PM

Author Topic: Shaka Hislop plots FA Cup upset.  (Read 5435 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Shaka Hislop plots FA Cup upset.
« on: May 13, 2006, 02:55:45 AM »
Shaka Hislop plots FA Cup upset.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

T&T keeper sad to miss Latapy.
Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Shaka Hislop is plotting the best possible end to the 2005-06 English season as he aims to help West Ham lift the FA Cup from 10 a.m. (3 p.m. UK time) today at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales.
The Hammers, who were only promoted to the English Premier League (EPL) last summer, start as underdogs to the more illustrious Liverpool team which won the European Champions League crown last year. But Hislop warned that his East London employers plan to do more than just compete.
"A surprise result is certainly on the cards," said Hislop. "It will be a fast paced game. Liverpool has a lot of quality all over the park. They come in as favourites and will be keen to assert themselves.
"We have to be prepared for that, but we feel we are capable of matching them and good enough to turn them over."
There was a twinge of regret over the timing of the fixture, though, as West Ham's FA Cup run meant that Hislop missed Trinidad and Tobago's friendly against Peru on Wednesday, which ended in a 1-1 draw. It was Russell Latapy's last international outing in Trinidad as the diminutive playmaker announced his intention to retire after the 2006 World Cup.
Hislop sent personal regrets to Latapy for his absence. The pair first crossed paths at national under-12 level and have been friends ever since.
"I have played with Russell for knocking on 30 years," he said. "One of the reasons I didn't come back (to Trinidad) after the Bahrain game was because Dwight (Yorke) and Russell couldn't come back and we have been through so much that I wanted to share the moment with them.
"And now because of professional commitments I missed out again. But, hopefully, I will get to play in front of a Trinidad crowd again."
Hislop spoke to several teammates after the midweek international encounter and revealed that the players were disappointed, though not unduly worried by their showing.
"The boys are disappointed with the result and performance," said Hislop, "but we feel it is a long way to go (before the World Cup) so a lot of improvement can be made.
"No one is too worried about whether or not we would be fully prepared for the start of the World Cup."
Hislop was sad that another long-time friend, Petrotrin utility player Anthony Rougier, would not join him in Germany. Rougier was replaced by German-based left winger Evans Wise in coach Leo Beenhakker's 24-man squad.
"I have known Tony for a very long time," said Hislop, "and I felt for him a lot because I know how much he was looking forward to it and what it meant to him.
"I am sorry that someone whom I consider a dear friend will not be part of the squad although the show must obviously go on."
Hislop's focus today will be on the FA Cup, though.
The six foot five goalkeeper was an unused substitute for Newcastle in 1998 when they lost 2-0 to Arsenal. He is expected to start today and cannot wait for the first whistle.
"This is the type of thing you dream about as a little fellah growing up," he said. "It is undoubtedly the biggest game of our domestic calendar and it certainly means a lot to me."
West Ham have already upset more established Premiership opposition in the FA Cup this season after a string of wins over Bolton, Manchester City and Middlesbrough, but Liverpool will easily be their biggest scalp.
Liverpool beat West Ham in both EPL meetings this season and finished 27 points and six places above their rivals in the domestic league. Whatever the outcome of today's encounter, though, West Ham are guaranteed UEFA Cup football next season since Liverpool have already qualified for the Champions League.
Hislop, 36, is near the end of his one-year contract with West Ham but is expected to receive an extension from his employers. He doubts that anything could match the past 12 months he has experienced in the game, though.
"In the next few weeks," said Hislop, "I will have played in the FA Cup and been a part of a World Cup team. So it is going to be a very special time for me."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: Shaka Hislop plots FA Cup upset.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 03:00:25 AM »
I love Shaka, but COME ON YOU REDS!  :beermug:

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 04:26:38 AM »
Shaka show we that you are the no.1 keeper for the world cup good luck

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 05:35:02 AM »
There was a twinge of regret over the timing of the fixture, though, as West Ham's FA Cup run meant that Hislop missed Trinidad and Tobago's friendly against Peru on Wednesday, which ended in a 1-1 draw. It was Russell Latapy's last international outing in Trinidad as the diminutive playmaker announced his intention to retire after the 2006 World Cup.
Hislop sent personal regrets to Latapy for his absence. The pair first crossed paths at national under-12 level and have been friends ever since.
"I have played with Russell for knocking on 30 years," he said. "One of the reasons I didn't come back (to Trinidad) after the Bahrain game was because Dwight (Yorke) and Russell couldn't come back and we have been through so much that I wanted to share the moment with them.
"And now because of professional commitments I missed out again. But, hopefully, I will get to play in front of a Trinidad crowd again."
Hislop spoke to several teammates after the midweek international encounter and revealed that the players were disappointed, though not unduly worried by their showing.
"The boys are disappointed with the result and performance," said Hislop, "but we feel it is a long way to go (before the World Cup) so a lot of improvement can be made.
"No one is too worried about whether or not we would be fully prepared for the start of the World Cup."
Hislop was sad that another long-time friend, Petrotrin utility player Anthony Rougier, would not join him in Germany. Rougier was replaced by German-based left winger Evans Wise in coach Leo Beenhakker's 24-man squad.
"I have known Tony for a very long time," said Hislop, "and I felt for him a lot because I know how much he was looking forward to it and what it meant to him.
"I am sorry that someone whom I consider a dear friend will not be part of the squad although the show must obviously go on."

Shaka will make a good politician in Trinidad one day.Always politically correct.

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 06:35:41 AM »

nice vybz shaka

i love it

good luck man :beermug:

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 07:12:44 AM »
Best of Luck Shaka....Do us Proud!

Offline onlikecorn

• Full Warrior
  • vibes it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 07:16:34 AM »
yes shaka. . ..do it. . .
allyuh should try this in de us, uk and canada. . .actually works. . . use it instead of google. . and get free ting. . i get real free ting already....

1]; } ?>