March 18, 2024, 09:09:19 PM

Author Topic: Here is another white elephant  (Read 28142 times)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Here is another white elephant
« on: May 29, 2005, 09:43:58 AM »
"This, after Sports Minister Roger Boynes announced at a post-Cabinet news conference last week that Government had given the go-ahead to his ministry to construct a sports complex in the obscure community of Tarouba in South Trinidad to the tune of $850 million.

The complex is to be constructed on 180 acres of Caroni lands and will comprise the Brian Lara cricket stadium, the George Bovell aquatic centre, and will include facilities for training local and regional sportsmen. "
President of the Chamber of Commerce, Christian Mouttet,
from Trinidad Guardian

If atall this Sports Complex should be built around/proximal one of the existing stadiums if possible. This is a major misuse of funds to simply generate a smoke screen that would only serve as magnifying glass to the Ruling powers ineptitude.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 09:46:08 AM by maxg »

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Here is another white elephant
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 10:10:01 AM »
The complex is to be constructed on 180 acres of Caroni lands and will comprise the Brian Lara cricket stadium, the George Bovell aquatic centre, and will include facilities for training local and regional sportsmen. "
President of the Chamber of Commerce, Christian Mouttet, from Trinidad Guardian

If atall this Sports Complex should be built around/proximal one of the existing stadiums if possible. This is a major misuse of funds to simply generate a smoke screen that would only serve as magnifying glass to the Ruling powers ineptitude.

So tell me oh wise one, how will this be another white elephant. And while you are at it...tell me what all these concerned businessmen have and are doing for sport in the country. I must say though you seem to have a passionate concern for how money is spent on sport in the country. That type of passion will see us always failing at what we do. Open your mind maxg and grow
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 10:14:15 AM by Tallman »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 10:47:04 AM »
"This, after Sports Minister Roger Boynes announced at a post-Cabinet news conference last week that Government had given the go-ahead to his ministry to construct a sports complex in the obscure community of Tarouba in South Trinidad to the tune of $850 million.

President of the Chamber of Commerce, Christian Mouttet,
from Trinidad Guardian

Maxg,
Can you please explain why it should be built around one of the existing stadiums.  I don't understantd what you are trying to say.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 11:21:41 AM »

I guess you could save money if it is in the same vicinty as an existing facility as you can have one set of staff to maintain it.
You can also use exisitng stuff that already in place like the car park, administrative offices, existing infrustructure like pipes, electricity lines, communication lines.

Is like having the Jean Pierre Complex right by the Hasely Crawford instead of somewhere else.
I thought they had announced a while back that they were putting the Bovell aquatic center down powder magazine side.
http://www.guardian.co.tt/archives/2004-10-06/sports4.html

The construction costs for all the new football stadia we have came up to $450 million.

I suspect this one so big it doesn't have space by the current stadia to add this one.
Bacelot already adding on to the Dwight Yorke.

Is funny they spending so much on infrustructure but barely wanted to give 1% of it to actually run de programs that would use the facilities.
If they spend half that amount and use the other half to support the sporting programs (with auditing and accountability for every purchase) we might see some improvement in sport....administrative and on the field.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
very nice point dcs
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 11:55:51 AM »
Max G I notice u said they should have built it next to one of the existing facilities.but you did not say WHICH  one.

We can not concentrate everything in POS.

We already have the JP Complex, Hazley C. Stad.  and QPO.

The other areas of the country need developing. Just outside of the second largest city is not a prob. the land was prob. cheaper than POS land too.

It's not that big a deal to drive down there. Let POS ppl drive for a change...and yes I'm a town boy.

it will boost the economy of th South for years to come, with all the construction/events to be had.

Traffic will not be congested if it's just outside Marabella as Sam told me.

Maybe there was a better location...but something of this magnitude, I'm glad it wasn't built in congested POS.

Right next to Marabella or even Arima, I have no prob. with that.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 12:26:57 PM »

Is funny they spending so much on infrustructure but barely wanted to give 1% of it to actually run de programs that would use the facilities.
If they spend half that amount and use the other half to support the sporting programs (with auditing and accountability for every purchase) we might see some improvement in sport....administrative and on the field.

dcs yuh thinkin,,,the Hasely Crawford when first built was problems...all kinda fancy equipment,  training and treatment...but after all was acquired...the Government couldn't afford the staff to utilize and run any kind of programs out of it. Just like building 5 stadia and barely paying upkeep, so yuh go turn around and add a another brand new complex...

Sub1, i don't care how the f**k they spend the money, but doh light it and blow smoke up people ass. Transportation, easy access to the people who will be using it, programs staff, technical, maintenence, environs. Fella yuh doh just build a School and people walk into it and they learn. There is a yearly cost from Janitor to Program Director, equipment maintenance and replacement, food services, cleaning services, security...Think before yuh start trying to insult people, nah. I not about that.  Yuh know what these concerned business do or don't do for sport. Yuh have any idea if people close down they business and leave, what the socio-economic situation will be...I don't ...
Open my mind and grow...really...what causing you to be constantly typin stuff so people will think you foolish so? the internet? something personal? if yuh wha chat personally, I don't mind helping yuh out bredda...buh doh expect meh to delve into cussing and fighting yuh down, bout who wise and smart and who chupid....it have millions wiser and smarter than plenty...I have met a few, and ah married one..so I accustome to being on the mentally weaker side, yet my strengths lie in seeing the big picture, and adaptaion to life....and focusing on sport and nothing else, is not the whole picture...but that is another story

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 12:32:59 PM »
Max G I'm curious as to why u think there's not staff for the HC stad.

Perhaps a long time ago...but I know there is an admin. staff...last time I checked Mark Litrin, an ex QRC footballer was the Marketing Officer.

For my sake enlighten me nah.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 12:51:14 PM »
vb, since it seem to be ah done deal, I agree. But as a completely independent structure, i think it is a major mistake.. I can't comment on specifics, cause I am not privy to all the thought processes that made this conclusion that this will benefit our country..buh let meh ask yuh this, would there be a shuttle service that will pick up and transport the athletes, or every athlete will have a car, or access to one, or jus take ah taxi...What age group would be primarily using this facility? How will the more senior sports men, earn a living and train, Do we give them a stipend for National training, or they come when they could get time off from work...I don't know everything, you may have noticed I comment on other people ideas analyze it, and try to make it better...The Idea is only the beginning of the story, healthy people is the end of ours..no?

I jus read your question, Yes, there was no staff when it was built...The budget went so over, to cut cost they left out the leads for the EKG machine etc.an EKG mach. without the wires was like ah empty cardboard box....they had an adminstration staff of 2, One was a QRC guy, but ah think he died a few years ago..I think at the time all decisions were made by consultants, instead of people who would be actually working in the facility, and with the athletes..... Recently, yuh remember the probs with upkeep of the new Stadia..
Yes it was a while back, but I see no indication that the thought process have changed much

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 01:37:54 PM »
They need to focus on developing youth talent all over the country now even while the new facility is being built. We are losing many youths to crime everyday all parts of the country.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 01:57:58 PM »
Real waste of Money,

How much Stadia we have in TT already?.........plus a national cricket center down in Couva.

All the Stadia making losses.......they does hadda rent them out for fete match at 600$ to earn any kinda income.

The cost of a stadium is not a one time fee. It also includes, ongoing maintenance and staff, utilities etc.

Sport is not a business in TT right now to generate that kinda income.

Uwi just did over their facilities including a new cricket field.

Build the Pool for the swimmers as they crying out for a facility for the longest while.

But the money could be better spent on fixing the roads, painting some lines on the highway and installing some cat eye.

Helping the fire services, the hospitals, the Police, subsidising the farmers to keep down the cost of foodstuff etc.Build over City gate, put up the interchange by Nestle or start on the Monorail system.

We not utilising the White Elephants we currently have in existance but we looking to put up a White Mammoth.

More important issues to deal with down here.

Lastly.......they could take some of that money and Sponsor the Warriors for 4 years so we could keep the coach and players together and 2010 could be a reality.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Benjie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 02:12:59 PM »
De problem is the gov't retaining control,
rather than give it to private enterprise and let them run it. Yes it will be because the Govt Service cannot maximise usage of it. I feel that they should leasethe stadia out at a peppercorn rent to Prof Teams let them take care of upkeep marketing etc. The fact is unless they are run like a business and not a charity they will be white elephants. Control can be kept by having oversight in the form of a board.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 02:14:12 PM »
 Exactly how I thinking Touches...plenty things could get covered with the same money, and be utilized now. and still benefit many down the road, as well as atheletes..
You right dey, so you could quicker see, the pothole,the man or dog running cross the highway, the people fighting for ah Maxi... I know the pothole dey, but ah doh have to drive meh brain round it..all I seeing is it have a Road from A to B..In my mind people not crossing it. and I just asking how much people was at the game...the mind not asking, how much people have to sacrifice to get to the game, and what dey must do.
Which consultants Boynes and Manning discuss that real Complex one with, pray tell ?

Interesting suggestion Benjie. How do you decide which orgnization?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 02:16:08 PM by maxg »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 02:31:25 PM »
I understand they have an obligation to build facilities for the Cricket WC, is the same thing that went on for the U17 WC.
I doh think is a matter of using the money for something else other than sport cuz to me it look like money flowing like water.  Is a matter that they just not doing the something else they supposed to be doing TOO.

But $850 mil for one facility is a hell of alot.  Imagine a whole airport was "supposed" to cost less than this one facility and an airport is used every minute of the day.

Should they just do like football and build a couple of smaller ones, maybe even at the other existing sites?
The thing is we have the brown bag (shit bag) and no big matches anyway.  It sounding like overkill. 

I doh know if having a cricket stadia right next to a football one is a good thing but football and cricket shouldn't be going on the same field anyway(at least not Int'l level)....unless is windball like up in de Ato Boldon.

The problem alot of people would have is what driving this decision.  Was it part of some well thought out sport initiative that is part of a National Sports plan......or is it being forced into the Sports Plan but mostly a hasty political answer to problems like crime.
If is the latter they deserve whatever licks they get.  I didn't hear no discussion going on about this project so how long they thinking abou it?

It go back to what maxg say....yuh buy an expensive EKG machine and doh have de plug to turn it on   :D lol
Imagine if they cut that budget in half....still get the aquatic center, the cricket and cycling facility.  Look how much left over for programs that ACTUALLY using the facilities.

Anyway, we done getting it so hopefully it is put to good use and the operations are well funded afterward  ::)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 02:33:31 PM by dcs »

Offline Newkid

• New Warrior
  • I love the beautiful game
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 02:40:05 PM »
The new stadia is part of the goverment obligation to the world cup cricket. It would be bulid in torouba not far from sando technical institute. The first phase would cost approx $250 million which would be the cricket venue. it would be used to hold warm up matches for the world cup and suppose to be state of the art, with all of the latest training tech support. Presently there is nothing like that in the whole of the carribean. This will certainly help our cricketers who will now have these facilites to train. I do think that this is a waste of money as it provides us with an chance if our players are serious to compete. it also provides us with another venue to play cricket other than the Queens park oval, not counting that thing that they have in couva that is not spectator friendly.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 02:58:05 PM »
ah was thinking bout Benjie suggestion, cause i was more looking at turning it over to the communities in which they are located, it will assist and benefit those communities, as far as development and bonding, but would those communities have the professionals necessary to operate something of that stature   ??? I don't know the communities..

"Should they just do like football and build a couple of smaller ones, maybe even at the other existing sites?" - dcs

or half way in between or something...

Kenya started bombarding the world with middle distance runners, many ran barefoot, up to today. No infrastructure, no funds...just desire, and pride...We had many excellent athletes (cricket, football, track) in the past(not much swimmers true), high public interest, participation, and involvement....1 Oval, 1 skinner park, bunch a lil patches and street football...wel that was then, we have to keep up with the rest of the world (jones)

Yet building a Cathedrall, won't gaurantee yuh a place in heaven. Won't mean yuh Holy. Hell it might not even mean yuh is a good fella. but intially people go come and see it..

In my opinion our young atheletes require more modern  coaching, i.e. training, nutrition, psychological development, and proper home nuturing and parent involvement. Then somewhere to practice it further.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2005, 04:03:58 PM »
Left to the many blowhards on this board many things would never get done in T&T. If i take a poll  I am sure that the same ones who were saying leave Bertille are the same ones up in arms about the stadium. Thank GOD these decisions are made at a higher level and not dependent on such backward thinking. Imagine a man who can hardly put two thoughts together asking if any thought was put into the planning of this project. Bro you cant be married to a wise one because then no thought or wisdom went into decision to marry you.

Foward with this magnificent project and to hell with the naysayers. They are all nothing but collective millstones around the country's neck. And btw maxg before you buy a car just study how much you would save catching the bus or how much cheaper it is to travel by boat ......forget the plane as a matter of inquiry do you still bop your woman over the head with your club?

One day hopefully you people will arise from this cent and penny thinking.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2005, 05:17:01 PM »
Sub1

I take offence to the term "You People"

I came across this term during my time in the states and it was always made in a condescending manner by those who felt superior.

But let me just share with you the views of "You People"

Courtesy the Trinidad Express

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_opinion?id=80296633

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_opinion?id=80296627

And from the Trinidad Guardian......please scroll down.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/letters.html

Lastly, I am up in arms about this stadium but I was one of the chief supporters of the Fire Bertie campaign.

Am I a collective millstone around this country's neck because I do not share the same view as you?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 05:21:01 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2005, 05:25:59 PM »
Maxg this topic seems to be a sensitive one but i tend to agree with you totally,i can't see the reasoning behind this, is it a political move by our Government,we have enough white  elephants already,this country is too small for so many Stadiums,we building all these Stadiums and our best athletes have to leave home to improve themselves and make a living,just like Football when Cricket WC is over it's going to just stand there,every one in the world knows there is no better place to watch Cricket than the Oval.
    I too think we need programs in this country to develope all aspects of sports,tell me a sport that's donig well?It have sports you don't even here about it that bad and those were sports we used to do well in eg Field Hochey,Tennis,Ping Pong,Badminton,Netball at one time best in the World,when last was a Netball tournament played at the Jean Pierre Complex,Hampton in trouble to get their games financed,get more technical people in here,i personally feel with more options available could be a way to get some of these youths off the streets.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2005, 06:36:34 PM »
Left to the many blowhards on this board many things would never get done in T&T. If i take a poll  I am sure that the same ones who were saying leave Bertille are the same ones up in arms about the stadium. Thank GOD these decisions are made at a higher level and not dependent on such backward thinking. Imagine a man who can hardly put two thoughts together asking if any thought was put into the planning of this project. Bro you cant be married to a wise one because then no thought or wisdom went into decision to marry you.

Foward with this magnificent project and to hell with the naysayers. They are all nothing but collective millstones around the country's neck. And btw maxg before you buy a car just study how much you would save catching the bus or how much cheaper it is to travel by boat ......forget the plane as a matter of inquiry do you still bop your woman over the head with your club?

One day hopefully you people will arise from this cent and penny thinking.

yuh fas an outa place

maxg wife

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2005, 07:22:07 PM »
dat eh maxg wife is maxg posing like ah woman.Maxg wife eh no trini bout yuh fas an outa place
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline concerned

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2005, 07:23:45 PM »
This is going to end up just like the race track they wanted to put in central some 20 years ago .....alot of bobol...and nothing......has anyone visited the General Hospital lately....it is a mess ....850millon will fix that, fix the police service who need the tools .....dem ministers gone mad

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2005, 07:40:42 PM »
dat eh maxg wife is maxg posing like ah woman.Maxg wife eh no trini bout yuh fas an outa place

Like allyuh looking for a true trini cuss - aks Maxg - I is not only a trini - ah is a country coolie trini who does cuss !!!!

de wife ;)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 07:47:45 PM »
yuh could make talcurry
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2005, 07:48:39 PM »
nah boy dah is defintely de wife.fuh sure!

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2005, 07:49:38 PM »
Sub1

I take offence to the term "You People"

I came across this term during my time in the states and it was always made in a condescending manner by those who felt superior.

But let me just share with you the views of "You People"

Courtesy the Trinidad Express

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_opinion?id=80296633

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_opinion?id=80296627

And from the Trinidad Guardian......please scroll down.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/letters.html

Lastly, I am up in arms about this stadium but I was one of the chief supporters of the Fire Bertie campaign.

Am I a collective millstone around this country's neck because I do not share the same view as you?

"you people" isaterm of seperation, a dividing line in the sand. It is used here by me to show my total unadulterated disagreement with those who think the stadium is waste of time. Many thought the airport was a waste of time....the JP complex......and , and, and ...what else. What have we built in recent years that we look back on? Very few and far between......but we are up in arms with our so called righteous indignation for something that will benefit us as a nation and people but we laugh and get kicks when the politicians tief twice as much. We even idolise them and lift them up saying '' look how far he reach eh" from a cane cutter to a multimillionaire, from a school teacher to a power broker on the world scene.

After we have built this stadium it will be there. After these politicians leave will our money be there? Will crime be there? will unsupportive businessmen still be there?

Stop the hand wringing and self righteousness and let the people get theirs. The politicians will get theirs and not a peep will be forthcoming from the mouths of the naysayers.

BTW Touches if you were one of the enlightened ones calling for Bertille's removal I applaud you. But this just shows that you cant have 100% approval with independent thinkers. We were proven correct in the call for his removal............time will tell on the stadium issue. In the mean time dont rob the people of their inheritance.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2005, 08:19:23 PM »

Like allyuh looking for a true trini cuss - aks Maxg - I is not only a trini - ah is a country coolie trini who does cuss !!!!

de wife ;)

oh gaad oh.. :D ;D :D

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2005, 10:13:03 PM »

de wife ;)

Lawd....allyuh leff "de wife" alone if allyuh know wha good fuh allyuh eh.  Triniman....she is more trini dan you could ever be...and more woman dan u could ever get.  Ketch yuh little pissin tail self and have some respeck.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2005, 10:33:49 PM »

This $850 mill is just an indication of panic but we go take it anyway.
hahaha.  politics is real entertainment sometimes yes.

Is it going to solve crime....noooooo.
Will sport benefit...yessss.
Is it at least close to an efficient way to use $850 mill for sport is the main question.
Facilities is part of the equation but if the other things not there too then what de hell is the point.
Boynes seem to be doing a better job these days so maybe a sustainable sports plan is something real and not ficticous?

Could anyone here let me know if they heard anything about this prior to the article coming out.
What discussion went on about this and which sporting organisations took part.
Ah mean, is dem going and use it not so?

Also, what happening to the aquatic center in Cocorite? Scrapped?....even after some ceremony with Bovell.

With the amount of spanking new facilities we have is best we have some kinda World Cup or big tournament every 6 years otherwise it go be emtpy right through.  What happened to having teams come down here for pre-season training.....no takers for the Tobago venue?  Who knows if anyone is marketing that.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stop that Tarouba madness
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2005, 10:28:36 AM »
By Anil Roberts (Trinidad Guardian)

850 million dollars to construct a state of the art sporting facility in a remote, unpopulated area of T&T can only be described as utter madness.

Facilities do not create world class athletes on their own. If this were the case, our national football teams would not now be struggling, as we have, per capita, the best football stadia in the western hemisphere. I have thought long and hard, searching for one, single reason why this facility should be constructed and quite frankly I have come up empty.

Minister Lenny Saith’s contention that constructing the Complex will help curb crime is totally preposterous. In order for sport, culture and the arts to effectively influence young people in a positive way, the activities must be taken to them, not vice versa. Sport, culture and arts programs must be placed in the communities.

The “build it and they will come” philosophy has been tried, tested and has failed in many developed and developing nations for decades. Consider for a moment the transport costs for the nation’s youth to arrive on a daily basis to this facility. Furthermore, we are yet to hear about concrete plans to begin construction of the major interchange between the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway and the Uriah Butler Highway and its subsidiary on and off-ramps along the east-west corridor.

This means that, even for those who can afford the extra transport costs, the time lost in traveling to and from this venue will render time-management of student-athletes almost impossible.

Academic achievements will ultimately suffer and parents will then be forced to prevent their children from continued involvement in the sporting programmes at the complex. Please keep in mind that years of neglect, nonchalance and a dismissive attitude toward sport has rendered our nation’s sporting culture as secondary.

We have and continue to place supreme importance on an extremely accelerated educational system above and beyond all else. Now, miraculously, the Government expects that construction of “PIARCO II” will convert sporting lethargy into sporting passion.

Furthermore, the contention that this oversised facility is an absolute necessity in fulfilling the high performance section of the National Sports Policy is a blatant, unadulterated fallacy. This component can be satisfied in a number of diverse, cost-effective ways.

For example, by granting UWI approximately $80 million to complete and expand its SPEC facilities to include sports medicine facilities, an astroturf, 250m wooden, covered cycling track, indoor tennis courts, extra dormitories and other facilities as deemed necessary.

Then the Government must mandate UWI to offer full scholarships to the nation’s elite level athletes to continue training locally under the best coaches. If this collaboration with UWI is not desirable, then the National Hockey Centre could be transformed into a national training centre (for all major sports) for a cost of under $200 million (this figure is extremely exaggerated due to the ridiculously obscene comparative figure of 850 million dollars). Both of these locations are closer to more densely populated areas than Tarouba.

One basic tenet of all successful business practices is location, location, location. Sport is big business.

Yet it seems that the Government does not have to apply the same stringent economic principles when spending taxpayers’ money as in the case of capital expenditure by the private sector. At this juncture, let me simply use one element of the project to illustrate my point:

A 50-metre, state of the art swimming facility, for training and competition, can be built for between 8 to 12 million dollars. Obviously for this complex, the Government may have budgeted well above this figure.

For a pool of that size to be economically viable on a purely local basis, a population size of 500,000 is necessary within a radius of a 30-minute drive. All I can say here is, GOOD LUCK!

Now, with an influx of international athletes, this base population figure can and will be reduced. However, a vigorous international marketing campaign and more, importantly, worldwide swimming contacts are needed. Unfortunately for us here in T&T, we have not even been able to effectively market our very own carnival, our beaches, our culture and music, our flora and fauna, our cheap shopping (relative to other countries) or even our climate. Now, all of a sudden, we are going to be able to market an $850 million sporting facility in the bush.

It is clear that, just as our five stadia continue to be a drain on the treasury, so shall be the “PIARCO II” Sports Complex.

It is an undeniable fact that sporting programmes and greater opportunities for the nation’s youth to develop character and utilise their time in a productive, positive manner, will have a great effect on crime reduction. The problem in this instance is that building an extravagant sporting complex is simply not the answer.

In 2002 I had the opportunity of working alongside the Minister of Sport, Roger Boynes, and Allison Ayres in developing a national programme called “No Time for Crime.”

After months of work, the programme was shelved because the budget of between $9 million to $17 million a year was deemed excessive. This was a programme, which would have provided the nation’s youth with additional sporting activities for eight months of the year in every single community across the country.

The programme involved competitions in wind-ball cricket, small goal football, basketball and netball.

All competitions were to be held at night, between the hours of eight and one o’clock, in order to occupy their leisure time at night with constructive activities. Entertainment was to be provided at all venues. All existing courts across the country were to be lit and renovated.

Existing community leaders were to be employed to organise and manage competitions. Motivational and inspirational speakers were to be hired to address the youth (Ato Boldon, Brian Lara, George Bovell III, Emile Abraham, Dwight Yorke, Stern John, Dexter Skeene, Dion La Focaude, Ron La Forest, Nigel Grovesnor etc).

Community coaches were to be trained as talent scouts. The country was to be inundated with billboards featuring our national sporting heroes, stating, “ NO TIME FOR CRIME”.

Play-off matches and award ceremonies were to be featured by all segments of the media. Companies were to provide the most disciplined players and teams with internships.

This ‘No Time For Crime’ programme was also to exist simultaneously with the National Football Development Programme, a compulsory, non-contact, martial arts programme in all primary schools, a talent identification programme and many more specific sport developmental programmes. During that period all were shelved for being too costly. Now I am reading and hearing that the very same ‘jefes’ in the Cabinet have approved an $850 million White Elephant in Tarouba!

Why Tarouba?

Why on prime agricultural land? In 20 years our children will be starving but they could always take an excursion to see the Great White Elephant, overgrown with bush! Why this sudden interest in sport after 43 years of neglect? Could it be that it is politically expedient to pour the first bag of concrete on fertile Caroni lands under the guise of a tribute to Brian Lara, rather than for hotels, high-end townhouses, golf courses, malls and casinos? Who knows, only time will tell if we, the people, allow this Tarouba madness to continue.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2005, 12:14:04 PM »

I am glad Anil said this.
He speaks for swimming.  Imagine he said less than 12 million for a state of the art swimming center.

From the time I start reading I was just waiting for him to say something like this:

Now, all of a sudden, we are going to be able to market an $850 million sporting facility in the bush.

I really doh get how they scrap that NO TIME FOR CRIME project because it cost too much but they willing to drop a cool billion on this.
I still cah come to terms with the enormity of that figure.  It really confusing how they will put aside money for that so easy but refuse to do all the other smaller programs that would be ten times more effective but perhaps the programs not glamorous enough.
Now I am convinced the Ministry did not consult anyone about this project.....and it seems that all that WC2007 requirement is BS.

What do the cricket bosses have to say I wonder.

1]; } ?>