April 26, 2024, 11:05:40 PM

Author Topic: Shaka arrives keen to shake off FA loss.  (Read 2459 times)

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Shaka arrives keen to shake off FA loss.
« on: May 16, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »
Shaka arrives keen to shake off FA loss.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago and West Ham United goalkeeper Shaka Hislop arrived at the team camp at De Vere Carden Park eager to shake off the disappointment of Saturday’s FA Cup defeat to Liverpool  and instead focus on preparing with the “Soca Warriors” for their upcoming 2006 World Cup campaign.
The former St Mary’s College custodian was on Tuesday the final of the twenty-four players to check in at the camp which started on Sunday and he was soon to be among the squad at Monday evening’s session which went on for just under two hours in relatively cool conditions on the lush Carden park pitch.
The disappointment of the 4-3 loss to Liverpool on penalty kicks and the fatigue of a just ending season wasn’t easily hidden by Hislop as he went through a separate work out with goalkeeper coach Michael Maurice . But that along with a loud heckle from an on looker about “Stevie Gerrard’s screamer on Saturday” didn’t do much to affect Hislop’s usual high spirit as it related to the “Soca Warriors” camp.
“It was difficult to lose. I felt that we deserved more and it was especially disappointing to concede what was a wonder goal in injury time and then a scramble off the line with two minutes left in extra time,” Hislop told TTFF Media. “And then we had to lose it  on the Russian Roulette of penalty kicks.  I was proud of the performance and I am sure we at the club can all be. But there is no feeling like lifting the cup and no words to console the players after we didn’t do that,” he added.
The former T&T captain and the first choice in the 2-0 win over Iceland in February stressed he is set by all means to get ready for the World Cup under Leo Beenhakker, particularly after having to miss the 1-1 draw with Peru last Wednesday.
“I have to put it (FA Cup loss) behind me because I am back in preparations now for the World Cup and happy to be back with the boys again. Of course I was disappointed not to be there for the Peru match but my professional career dictated otherwise. I missed Latas’ send off which was disappointing considering how far back me and Russell have gone and been together since the under 10 level. It’s a relationship which  has existed  for over 25 years.
“I guess no one was thrilled with the result but I don’t think that what was relevant to what was happening at the time. It was more about coming together and shaking off some of the cobwebs and here we are now to engage in what will obviously be the main part of our preparations for  our matches at the World Cup,” Hislop ended. The team will train once on Wednesday morning before meeting with the media from midday for a one-hour session at Carden Park.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 04:42:58 PM by Flex »

1]; } ?>