May 19, 2024, 06:16:59 AM

Author Topic: Latapy: Trinidad & Tobacco.  (Read 18586 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Latapy: Trinidad & Tobacco.
« on: May 16, 2006, 11:00:29 PM »
TRINIDAD & TOBACCO
... My fags will help me get through finals.
RUSSELL LATAPY'S WORLD CUP DIARY.
By: Russell Latapy (Daily Record)

WORLD CUP COUNTDOWN.
Theo Walcott was just a baby the last time I thought I was going to play in the World Cup finals. And if he is among the youngest ever to appear in the showcase, I might be the oldest to feature in Germany next month - the oldest outfield player anyway as I'll be 38 in August. And let's face it, keepers don't count, do they.
This is definitely a chance I thought had passed me by. Remember, after four successive failures, I had retired. But here I am with the rest of the Trinidad and Tobago squad warming up for the action at our Cheshire base. I can't thank our coach Leo Beenhakker enough for coaxing me out of international retirement.
I also can't thank John Hughes at Falkirk enough for letting me away early to recharge the batteries. We've been in touch since I got back to Britain from Trinidad. I'm still finding time here to help him out with a couple of things for Falkirk next season.
But big Yogi let me go before we were officially safe from relegation and I needed the couple of weeks R 'n' R at the home I've kept on in Porto. It was another long, hard season with Falkirk but I'm doing everything to make sure I'm flying by the time the games come around.
This may surprise you, especially at my age, but the one thing I don't feel I have to do is quit the fags!
I've played at the highest level - not the World Cup but in the Champions League - for years and smoking never stopped me performing.
I smoke Marlboro Lights and can get through 10 a day in the close season or on down time - nothing like as many as Robert Prosinecki did, let's be fair.
And I wouldn't chain-smoke on the touchline in any game, never mind the World Cup.
But no, I haven't given up cigarettes for this tournament. I know what my body can and can't do and it won't be cutting out the four or five fags a day I'll smoke when away with my team that makes me play any better.
That doesn't mean I'm any less excited about or committed to making the most of this chance I've been given. And it's something everyone here is comfortable with.
The thing about cigarettes is if you're in an environment where you're out having a meal and a drink with your friends, you will obviously smoke more.
But when you're somewhere like this week's fitness camp at Carden Park, in Cheshire, it just doesn't occur to you so often. After dinner, yes, with my coffee, I'll have one then. At least I can still enjoy that little pleasure in England without having to go outside, I can't complain too much!
The point is I've always been straight with everybody on the national team about my smoking. I have the same understanding with Leo that I had at every other team I've played with.
When I'm in a team situation, around training or whatever, I don't smoke in front of the lads. Normally, when it gets to that point, I'll slip away to the side and have one in peace then come back in and join the boys.
It's not a problem for me or for them. Anyway, don't doctors say you can do most things in life as long as you do them in moderation?
But back to the football. As a coach, I would definitely think taking Walcott is a good move because he is clearly the future of English football.
Wayne Rooney's loss is a big disappointment for me. I think the best players in the world should be on its greatest stage. I'm sorry it looks like we won't be facing him and I hope he can recover soon.
You could say his absence will lift spirits within Trinidad and Tobago but I don't think that way.
For the coach, too, it isn't about studying individual opponents. It's about trying to play our own, natural game. Besides, these things often go the other way with the players coming in doing everything and more to prove they should have been picked regardless.
I've no doubt Walcott has what it takes, even if he would barely have been crawling the last time Trinidad and Tobago were this close to a World Cup.
But I reckon I can still cut it myself. I'm just happy I've been given an chance to prove as much at this late stage in my career.
I always hoped to get here but after playing in four qualifying campaigns without making it through and then retiring, I thought my chance had gone.
I'm just going to go out and enjoy every last minute of it all. Wouldn't that be the perfect way for me to quit while I'm ahead?
I thought we would make it to Italia 90. It came down to the last game, against the USA. We were on 11 points, they were on 10 and all we needed to do was not lose but we did - 1-0.
Now I don't intend to pass up this delightful surprise. I'm responsible for getting myself as fit as possible. I need to be ready to play my part but if the coach gives me that chance, I intend to go out and enjoy every last minute of it.
I'll always remember Lubo Moravcik and that one Champions League match he started for Celtic against Juventus.
Martin O'Neill usually kept him in reserve on those occasions but the one and only time he started on the biggest stage in club football, he played what must have been one of the games of his life.
Hopefully, I can show I'm physically ready, fly puff or not, then go out against England and have one of these Lubo games myself. Then, like him, I can call it a day happy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 09:52:39 AM by Flex »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy: Trinidad & Tobacco
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 11:20:52 PM »
Thanks eman if all waggonist was like you we will have great fans. AS 4 the smoking Latas it kills please stop.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 11:39:50 PM »
imagine the shape he would/could be in if he wasn't smoking

Més que un club.

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:58:50 PM »
oh gosh leave d man and he cigerettes nah!!!!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 12:38:38 AM »
Sorry, I have to agree - this is what separates great from "who?" - given a last chance at a WC, and an aging member of the team, I would sacrifice the damn cigarettes for a bit.  It's called being a professional.  Not to mention the effect that story has on some kid thinking smoking is cool. 

Ugh.  Steups...
BORN TO DO IT

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy: Trinidad & Tobacco.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 03:47:36 AM »
to each his own i guess....he is comfortable smoking an playin his game, he obviously know the medical factors surrounding his habits...but he is 37yrs and i am sure he is able to make his own decision.This is where parents come in...able to teach the kids who are reading this..that the ppl they look up to...are jus human and are entitled to faults....so ato i'm not fully in agreement wit u.

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 05:59:40 AM »
i know it might be just tiredness of reading this much in the early morning but FAGS are also cigarettes (ah hoping)???

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 06:05:35 AM »
i know it might be just tiredness of reading this much in the early morning but FAGS are also cigarettes (ah hoping

u are correct...Fags are  indeed cigarettes..in England

Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 06:08:43 AM »
Sorry, I have to agree - this is what separates great from "who?" - given a last chance at a WC, and an aging member of the team, I would sacrifice the damn cigarettes for a bit.  It's called being a professional.  Not to mention the effect that story has on some kid thinking smoking is cool. 

Ugh.  Steups...

I've personally seen 2 family members go down with lung cancer due to cigs..and though Latas is a personal hero of mine..this is not a good article to come out. ..as the senator said..think about the  effect that story has on some kid thinking smoking is coo

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 06:09:41 AM »
ok ah think ah going back tuh sleep....ah taught ah could read some thing b4 wok but tuh hell with dat...ah go read when ah reach wok

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 06:11:05 AM »
Ah trying tuh stop  :( :( :(

Is really ah nasty habit. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 07:06:13 AM »
i know it might be just tiredness of reading this much in the early morning but FAGS are also cigarettes (ah hoping

u are correct...Fags are  indeed cigarettes..in England

It's not even a coincidence...

The slang word "fag" for homosexuals was actually derived from the slang used for cigarettes....a cigarette is flaming when lit......just as many homosexuals are described as "flaming" when they are openly and obnoxiously gay......hence the word "fag" being used for homosexuals.........or maybe it's the other way around...... ;D

Fortunately, I'm not an expert on either homosexuality, or cigarette smoking, but some chick from london told me that, so if it's not true, blame her......
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 08:12:43 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 07:08:10 AM »
So let me get it straight Latas is saying that cigarettes are going to help him in the finals!!?? Hope them kids who he was signing autographs don't read this.

C'mon Latas your lungs are the combustion chambers of your body, no one on this forum is questioning  your skill on the ball but give it up for the sake of performance and the tournament.

EVERY PLAYER OWES IT TO THE TEAM TO BE AT THEIR PHYSICAL BEST AND I AM SORRY SMOKING JUST DOES NOT CUT IT

Little disappointed

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 07:47:17 AM »
I have no comment on Latas smoking. All I know is that oddly enough, many pros do. I even saw some AC Milan players smoking in the tunnel before a game once. Brazil's coach even mentioned in a recent interview that he knew that players drink and smoke, but hopefully they knew the appropriate time and place for it. And he would encourage none of it during camp. It would seem that in Europe and South America it is pretty common for players to smoke. Seems rather strange, but it is true.

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 07:59:27 AM »
the smoking bit is one thing, buh wha really take my notice was that Latas talking like he satisfied by just being at the WC, and being a bench player that want to contribute whenever called upon...
for many ah we Latas is d best talent to play for TnT and it sad to me to hear a champion is satisfied with his bench role... I would like to hear him (being my favorite footballer) saying that he doing everything to make a d starting role and help "lead" the team by on-the-pitch performance to beat their WC opponents... i aint wanna hear him say that he want to play his part... i wanna hear him say that he leading from the front.

u gots to have "d eye of a tiger" right till d end, and doh start talking bout retirement until d last game done nah... cuz if u start focusing on dat now, it appears to us fans that u concentrating about lying back and relaxing, when we think your 100% focus should be in getting TnT as far as possible on the WC stage.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 08:02:17 AM by vibetrini »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 08:00:14 AM »
He can"t quit now,it would be a kamakazee mission,what with the finals preperations,and and battling

nicotine. check d danger 

Latapy in d area Look trouble one last great game he say,some team dead if keep his word. :bringiton:

:beermug: :notworthy:              :notworthy:                     
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 08:16:01 AM by Compre »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 08:01:58 AM »
quitting smoking is stressful.  when my mother in law was pregnant with my wife, the doctors back then told her not to try quitting smoking while pregnant, cuz the stress on her would be worse for the baby than the smoke...so he just advised her to cut down.  of course that wouldn't float today, but anybody whoever successfully quit smoking wioll tell you it rough on the body and mind....more addictive than heroin and I believe that.

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 08:15:39 AM »
think about it..if he suffering withdrwal he might start to shake...and that may prove to be extra "beats" in the area  :devil:

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 08:30:45 AM »
i know it might be just tiredness of reading this much in the early morning but FAGS are also cigarettes (ah hoping)???

I have some Canadian colleagues who were more than a little surprised when I asked if anyone fancied a fag ;D

When I gave up, I got a really bad cough about a week after I quit and it lasted for about a month, not sure this would be good to have during a world cup final campaign.

Maybe Russell's getting sponsored by Marlboro Lights which is why he mentioned them ;D

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 08:36:20 AM »
He can use the patch or something.
It is his lung capacity and oxygen intake that will not be optimal from the smoking.

So scratch that as a reason to continue.

Leo should demand more from him in training....if he is pushed hard enough he may see that the smoking is affecting his game.  The man can't last 90 mins already so why not get yourself in the best shape possible for this last hoorah.  I eh know...dat sound like it cud kill the vibe in the camp or maybe is just an oddity in the camp.   Rougier killing he self to get fit while Latas talking about his favourite cigarette.
Take the good with the bad I guess   ???

This is the 2nd "strange" article I see him write.  I admire the straightforwardness......wonder whose idea it was.  It probably work in his favour to come straight out and say dis is how it is to avoid the tabloids further distorting it.  The timing of this one though.....

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 08:42:59 AM »
i started smoking cigarettes  @ 13. stopped @ 15. now i have one a year for kicks. however, the best player (CAM) on my football team (endless stamina, mad skills) is a heavy smoker. always lighting up before and after games. i is just watch the man in shock.

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 08:46:53 AM »
i started smoking cigarettes  @ 13. stopped @ 15. now i have one a year for kicks. however, the best player (CAM) on my football team (endless stamina, mad skills) is a heavy smoker. always lighting up before and after games. i is just watch the man in shock.

I guess it depends what it is he smokes. ;D

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 08:48:26 AM »
He can use the patch or something.
It is his lung capacity and oxygen intake that will not be optimal from the smoking.

So scratch that as a reason to continue.

Leo should demand more from him in training....if he is pushed hard enough he may see that the smoking is affecting his game.  The man can't last 90 mins already so why not get yourself in the best shape possible for this last hoorah.  I eh know...dat sound like it cud kill the vibe in the camp or maybe is just an oddity in the camp.   Rougier killing he self to get fit while Latas talking about his favourite cigarette.
Take the good with the bad I guess   ???

This is the 2nd "strange" article I see him write.  I admire the straightforwardness......wonder whose idea it was.  It probably work in his favour to come straight out and say dis is how it is to avoid the tabloids further distorting it.  The timing of this one though.....

Was there anyone who didn't know that Latapy was a heavy smoker ? I thought this was pretty much common knowledge.....not sure why this exerpt from his diary is causing any controversy here on the board...

Latapy may not have maintained the conditioning of some of his peers of equal age- eg. Maldini, Costa Curta, Teddy Sheringham, Dennis Bergkamp...and his party lifestyle could be the reason....or it could also be that he didn't play at their level consistently and for long enough.....or it could be plain genetics.....who knows ? Many athletes at the highest level abuse their bodies.....so he is no exception....

Truth is though, there are many who have called it a day before 38.......so all in all, he's done well.....

He's not gonna quit because he's addicted to nicotene- it's that simple....He talks as if smoking will not affect his playing shape, but a part of that might just be to appease himself because he knows he simply cannot quit...and even if he did quit, I doubt he'd transform into a dynamo in the space of less than a month....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 08:51:43 AM »
people....and ato in particular...unless you real hooked on ciggs...hear nah...there is no way...no way ..you can even talk bout quitting it...it not easy at all....we know it not good and all that...but hear meh...when yuh in it papa....god alone could help.......it hard...i sick with it...meh wife worse....but with gods blessings ...soon...i say its the worst thing ever invented in history.....don leo say he quit after the bharain game...he still smoking some kinda cigar cig.....well bot latas...good luck with that one.....I lime with latapy a night in pelican...after tnt vz  canada 2001....and de man smoke bout 7 of my cigs...he keep asking every 20 mins or so..." ras..YUh doh mind if i have another one ??..".....wha i go tell the Porquito Magico ???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 09:02:12 AM »
There is absolutely nothing positive about smoking...anything... Latas needs to quit as soon as possible or his life will be shortened.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Augi

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 09:49:27 AM »
to each his own

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 10:01:25 AM »

Ugh.  Steups...
I agree.  I understand that it is very hard to stop smoking, but he should attempt to cut down a little.  It might or might not have an immediate effect for the World Cup, but it will keep him out of an early grave.  No amount of money saves you when lung cancer calls...
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 10:03:02 AM »
"let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

EVERYBODY here has a vice, or two or three.  So Latapy likes to smoke.  So be it.  It is his life, and once he is not infringing upon the rights of others he is free to live it as he sees fit.

And please don't give me the "he is a role model" argument as as Charles Barkley once said, "If I am a bigger role model to your kids as a professional athlete (who they have never met), than you are as a parent, then you have a problem.  And that problem is not me and what I do."

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 10:04:52 AM »
Latas can't quit smoking not right now anyway, not before the Cup or during.  I will tell yuh this and I got this from a doctor, when your into the routine of working out and smoking your lungs get used to it and if you try to quit for about two weeks you will be so much more out of breath because your lungs will be trying to adjust to the no smoking.  I not saying that he is right even though he is a doctor but I tried that about three years ago and I will tell yuh that I was huffin and puffin fuh about 15 mins in a game, and at that time I was in really great shape so that is my take on this but yeah he should stop that habit anyway.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2006, 10:19:55 AM »
I might be the oldest to feature in Germany next month - the oldest outfield player anyway as I'll be 38 in August. And let's face it, keepers don't count, do they.

Ok, I'll give you that..

I also can't thank John Hughes at Falkirk enough for letting me away early to recharge the batteries. We've been in touch since I got back to Britain from Trinidad. I'm still finding time here to help him out with a couple of things for Falkirk next season.

Why de HELL is he doing Falkirk work while on T&T duty? I seriously think this is ridiculous..

The thing about cigarettes is if you're in an environment where you're out having a meal and a drink with your friends, you will obviously smoke more.

This is kind of rationale dem skettel in Celebs used to come with....Look, enough of this...I going to watch the Champions League final...steups... >:(

1]; } ?>