April 25, 2024, 11:17:15 AM

Author Topic: English sprinter wants to run for Trinidad.  (Read 10906 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
English sprinter wants to run for Trinidad.
« on: June 01, 2005, 06:05:40 AM »
T&T Newsday Reports.

Mark Findlay, 27, who on Sunday ran 10.25 seconds to beat Olympic champion Marlon Devonish in the 100 metres final at the UK Inter-Counties Championships, has stated his intention to run competitively for Trindad and Tobago — the birthplace of his parents.
Londoner Findlay, has opted to run for Trinidad after finishing a two-year doping ban, clocked 10.25 seconds to edge a photo finish with the Athens relay winner. Christian Malcolm, one of Devonish’s team-mates in Britain’s glorious 4x100m team, could only manage third place.
"I came down to do two runs and go home," said Findlay, who exceeded his expectations.
"The first two rounds went well, so I thought, ‘What have I got to lose by hanging around for the final?’ I am ecstatic," stated Findlay, the former European Under 23 champion said. "I was stupid and naive," Dindlay said as he spoke about his doping. "I’ve a few friends in hospitals and I took some medication for a men’s problem which I won’t go into. The steroid was in my body and I accept that."
He asserts with conviction that he was not intent on cheating.
"I got these tatoos done while I was banned," he held out his left arm which showed the tattooed words: "All honour to those who fall and rise again" and "Only God can judge me."
As a teenager Findlay used his paper round money to build a gym in his garage because he could not afford sport centre fees.
"I got out of East London, because the lifestyle of friends and companions was not going to steer me in the right direction. It was either get out of it, or stay there and waste my life." He has done that, but now intends to run for Trinidad, where his parents are from.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: English sprinter wants to run for Trinidad.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 08:29:20 AM »
After he tested positive for the steriods he got a good beat down from the British (fans/media) and then he was totally ignored. He complained to the media on how the British fans were not supportive of him.  So he is a bitter guy, no wonder he wants to run for Trinidad now.  He will be a good candiddate for the 4 x 100 relay (Burns,Brown, Findlay,Harper or Alexander).

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 01:22:08 PM »
Isn't something that a man should find comfort in his home? in this case  ancestral heritage and ethnic shelter is providing a sense of comfort for the 'troubled'

For those like Findlay who grew up in a place unlike their parents, it is challenging to uncover and unpack the polarization whcih is faced by bi-cultural  identity crisis. The challenges of trying to fit in  and to adore or be lke everyone else without having to be  an outcast due to  pigmentation or to  having an accent.

I also believe that we ought to consider a ttimes what it means to be human and to know that the biggest thing we could do is to forgive. If Findlay has the talent, the aptitute and the desire to represent TNT, then that opportunity to vindicate himself   should be afforded him.

We have lost Kerwin Jemmot to the USA maybe we could reclaim one from the lons of our soil back in our fold.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 02:01:50 PM »
Isn't something that a man should find comfort in his home? in this case  ancestral heritage and ethnic shelter is providing a sense of comfort for the 'troubled'

For those like Findlay who grew up in a place unlike their parents, it is challenging to uncover and unpack the polarization whcih is faced by bi-cultural  identity crisis. The challenges of trying to fit in  and to adore or be lke everyone else without having to be  an outcast due to  pigmentation or to  having an accent.

I also believe that we ought to consider a ttimes what it means to be human and to know that the biggest thing we could do is to forgive. If Findlay has the talent, the aptitute and the desire to represent TNT, then that opportunity to vindicate himself   should be afforded him.

We have lost Kerwin Jemmot to the USA maybe we could reclaim one from the lons of our soil back in our fold.

Mr. Findlay only considered us because the british turn their backs on him.  He represented England at the European youth championships, he did not think about us (he did an interview where he talked about being proud to represent his country). I am not saying don't forgive him(although that is not our job..it is England's) but it funny how some people only think about us when things are bad.  U never know, Kerron Clement might do the same (I hope not).

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 08:52:05 PM »
Jemmot should learn form the Ben Johnson and Mrion Jones fiasco; se ho wquickly the adopted country can turn  thier back on you and satr referring to the place of your birth as  your country after yuh choose tuh represent them.

If he messess up once see how long before the US media eat  he up and TNT with it.

jusme

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 01:24:08 PM »

Hardest gone to the states now?  for what?  he not eligible to play for them.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 02:07:05 PM »

Hardest gone to the states now?  for what?  he not eligible to play for them.

AlbertaTrini getting tie up. Ah tink he mean Kerron Clement.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 01:47:15 PM »
I stand corrected. Thanks Tallman that is whom I meant.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 03:13:48 PM »

Just make sure and test him before every race.
Cah come here to disgrace the flag and we probably slack about testing them ting for weself.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 08:43:12 PM »
  He will be a good candiddate for the 4 x 100 relay (Burns,Brown, Findlay,Harper or Alexander).

I was thinking the same thing.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 08:05:28 AM »
  He will be a good candiddate for the 4 x 100 relay (Burns,Brown, Findlay,Harper or Alexander).

I was thinking the same thing.

That comment was made b4 the national chanmpionships.....he had some good times last year and earlier this year but since then he running 10.5 so he has to come a lot better than that now.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 09:29:52 AM »
Is this guy still around
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 05:35:07 PM »
T&T Newsday Reports.

Mark Findlay, 27, who on Sunday ran 10.25 seconds to beat Olympic champion Marlon Devonish in the 100 metres final at the UK Inter-Counties Championships, has stated his intention to run competitively for Trindad and Tobago — the birthplace of his parents.
Londoner Findlay, has opted to run for Trinidad after finishing a two-year doping ban, clocked 10.25 seconds to edge a photo finish with the Athens relay winner. Christian Malcolm, one of Devonish’s team-mates in Britain’s glorious 4x100m team, could only manage third place.
"I came down to do two runs and go home," said Findlay, who exceeded his expectations.
"The first two rounds went well, so I thought, ‘What have I got to lose by hanging around for the final?’ I am ecstatic," stated Findlay, the former European Under 23 champion said. "I was stupid and naive," Dindlay said as he spoke about his doping. "I’ve a few friends in hospitals and I took some medication for a men’s problem which I won’t go into. The steroid was in my body and I accept that."
He asserts with conviction that he was not intent on cheating.
"I got these tatoos done while I was banned," he held out his left arm which showed the tattooed words: "All honour to those who fall and rise again" and "Only God can judge me."
As a teenager Findlay used his paper round money to build a gym in his garage because he could not afford sport centre fees.
"I got out of East London, because the lifestyle of friends and companions was not going to steer me in the right direction. It was either get out of it, or stay there and waste my life." He has done that, but now intends to run for Trinidad, where his parents are from.

maybe coach Ato could help him run some sub 10s :beermug:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 06:14:50 PM »
I remember Anil Roberts saying we doh want him back and real ponging him on Spalk...I dunno - that is a real conundrum for me.  Do u exclude all athletes who have ever been banned for steroids and are now eligible? Because Lord knows your competition is not going to do that - i.e USA etc?

What say you?  Set an example or put the best team on the track that is eligible?
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 07:06:09 PM »
I remember Anil Roberts saying we doh want him back and real ponging him on Spalk...I dunno - that is a real conundrum for me.  Do u exclude all athletes who have ever been banned for steroids and are now eligible? Because Lord knows your competition is not going to do that - i.e USA etc?

What say you?  Set an example or put the best team on the track that is eligible?

Evaluate ex- offenders carefully on a case by case basis.

BTW, you will be running a business, so what do you mean by competition? Like Franno,  you should be looking regionally, even if your base of athletes are Saudi and Trini.
Your name will carry weight all over the Caribbean and you will be able to relate to them easier than American coaches.
However, being US based, you will also attrcat US athletes. Face it, you will be competeing even against HSI!!!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 11:10:39 PM »
That's Like Eminem competing with 50 cent....it's all under the same umbrella - Aftermath!
BORN TO DO IT

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 10:44:45 AM »
what ever became of the is athlete?

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
  • Who the cap fit, let them wear it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 04:04:51 PM »
Whilst I doh endorse cheating, I believe all have sinned and fell short of the glory of god. It is not our place to judge ah man heart (tho is is our nature). I say, if de man cutting de times, then he should be considered.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 10:33:12 PM »
Who Anil eh pound till d buy him steups
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 06:28:54 AM »
on the doping talk- isn't that the same as the dwain chambers story that he cannot run for the UK now? if that's the case- how come the young man wants to run for T & T - is it because the UK has banned him?
do we test often enough here? we have a good rep now for drug-free athletes. we have to maintain that rep in this sorry world.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 01:48:43 PM »
As someone mentioned ..we should not be judge jury and executioner,,,the problem is though ..we bringing in ah drug cheat .... will he repeat his feat ? Can he make the team ? What happens if he tests positive again ?
What happens if Britain suddenly wants him ? will he still want us ?
My gut feeling says ....leave him alone .

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 11:56:48 PM »
I am conflicted but here is the truth. USA has put several people on its olympic team who have served drug bans already (Damu Cherry e.g) so by taking such a stance we put ourselves at a disadvantage....
BORN TO DO IT

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 07:47:24 AM »
I guess the real question then is does the T & T olympic commttee have a policy? if so what is it?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 08:44:45 AM »
I guess the real question then is does the T & T olympic commttee have a policy? if so what is it?

I agree ....it matters if we have no policy .... how do we decide ...follow the US is not an option in my book ,,,,they are world leaders in cheating ... I no longer see US athletes as superheroes .....
It seems just a matter of time before they are exposed ......  We should keep far from any policy which exposes us to redicule .

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
  • Who the cap fit, let them wear it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 10:54:57 AM »
Jai leh we eh start dat ting bout biggest cheats.

I hear personally Jamaicans saying Ato used to cheat, de same ones now defending Asafa and Bolt. I hear Trinis saying dem Jamaicans cheating, de same ones dat now defending Richard and used to defend Ato. And vice versa for dem Americans who willing to call Bolt and Asafa cheats but will defend Gay and MJ to death. Who does cheat? Who doh cheat? Me eh judging, tho I have my suspicions.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 09:59:40 AM »
He just squeezed into the 100m final at the Olympic trials...

1]; } ?>