March 28, 2024, 02:30:44 AM

Author Topic: Yasin Abu Bakr Thread  (Read 41575 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Yasin Abu Bakr Thread
« on: June 09, 2006, 03:39:14 AM »
Bakr claims secret debt deal with PNM.
Darren Bahaw (Express).

Startling details of a secret agreement allegedly forged by the leadership of the ruling People's National Movement (PNM) to forgive a multi-million debt owed by the Jamaat-al-Muslimeen to the State in exchange for election muscle during the controversial 2001 general election were revealed yesterday.
In a 61-paragraph affidavit filed in the Port of Spain Civil Registry at the Hall of Justice, the incarcerated leader of the Jamaat, Imam Yasin Abu Bakr, 64, contended that the debt to the State had been satisfied as he and members of his organisation had fulfilled their end of the deal allegedly made with Prime Minister Patrick Manning.
The 26-page court document was filed in opposition to a lawsuit filed by Attorney General John Jeremie on February 6, which identified several properties purportedly owned by Abu Bakr and Kala Aki Bua, the interim leader of the Jamaat, to put up for sale to satisfy part of the debt which now stands at more than $32 million.
Attorneys representing Abu Bakr and Aki Bua filed the affidavit five days after the June 2 deadline and will be hoping to convince Justice Rajendra Narine to grant them permission to use it as part of their defence to a lawsuit filed by the Attorney General, claiming that the action was an abuse of process and should be dismissed. The matter comes up for hearing on June 12 and has been fixed to proceed.
Attorneys Dana Seetahal SC, Rikki Harnanan and State attorney Sean Julien are representing the Attorney General.
Judgment was entered against the Jamaat and 57 of the 114 members who took part in the attempted coup on July 27, 1990 after they had been served with notice of the proceedings on September 16, 1996 after no defence had been filed in relation to a 1994 lawsuit claiming compensation for damage for destruction to the Police Headquarters in Port of Spain.
Justice Joseph Tam subsequently assessed adequate compensation at $15 million and with three per cent interest per annum from July 27, 1990 and 12 per cent for each year the sum remained unpaid following the assessment in January, 2001.
The debt carries a daily interest rate of $6,480.30.
At the last hearing, one of Abu Bakr's attorneys, Mark Seepersad, informed the judge that he intended to argue that his clients did not owe the State any money but the judge noted that that was not an issue for him to decide.
Narine noted then that all he had to decide was whether the 11 properties identified by the State could be sold to offset part of the debt.
Attorneys Gerald Ramdeen and Lemuel Murphy are also representing the defendants.
Abu Bakr deposed to several meetings held with Manning and Culture and Gender Affairs Minister Joan Yuille-Williams at Balisier House, the PNM headquarters, during the run-up to the 2002 general election where he agreed to use his influence to reduce crime in certain hot spots, mobilise people in the "ghetto" areas to come out and vote, spent $1.2 million to ensure a high voter turn-out in marginal seats, endorse the PNM for re-elections and ensure the orderly implementation of social programmes in the targeted marginal constituencies.
In exchange, Abu Bakr said the Jamaat wanted the eight acres of land at Mucurapo, inclusion of the Mucurapo Islamic College in the Concordat to be able to access funding from Government, forgiveness of any debt owed to the State, full and final payment of money owed by the State to the Jamaat and fair treatment as any other community organisation.
Abu Bakr claims that while the Jamaat and its membership held up its end of the bargain the present Government has reneged on the deal.
He is awaiting trial on five criminal offences relating to his controversial Eid sermon and has been denied bail in prison since his arrest on November 7 last year.
He is also awaiting a retrial on a charge of conspiring to murder two expelled members of the Jamaat.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:16:19 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bakr claims secret debt deal with PNM.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 07:39:20 AM »
Bakr go start to say all kinda ting now to descredit

my pardner grow up without he fadder because of bakr and his band of c***s....leh he enjoy de jail crix oui
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 08:06:55 AM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Thank the PNM?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:14:33 PM »

THANK THE PNM?

PETER O'CONNOR
Trinidad & Tobago Newsday
Sunday, June 24 2007

In another one of his ridiculous boasting sessions, our Prime Minister Patrick Manning announced that it is “the PNM which has us where we are today.” This is so true, and so sad. One would have thought that any leader of a government which is failing so emphatically, on so many fronts, would have avoided such a ridiculous statement. However, it is the measure of how deep the PNM’s head is in the sand that they can continue to delude themselves into believing that things are not in the state of collapse which we all know to be reality.

It is not for us to wonder at the mental state of our leadership, drowning in total incompetence yet praising themselves for their pathetic failings. But we must wonder at a media which reports these statements without comment.

And where is it that “we are today,” which makes our Prime Minister boast to us? Incidents of violent crime are still much higher than when the PNM came into office, although they boast that the rate is lower than last year. However, when six persons are murdered in one weekend, we know that Trinidad is still a frightening place in which to live, and we know that it is the PNM that has brought us to this state. It was Manning’s choice, in July 1990, to dismiss the terrorist attack upon our government as a minor quarrel, and to never lift a finger to help our country in its darkest hour. It was Manning’s choice to never utter a word of condemnation against the attempted coup, even as he now struts before foreign media and declares he will never tolerate terrorism in any form.

Crime detection rates are lower than they have ever been, and convictions are just about impossible to secure. Police fail to appear in the courts in thousands of cases, and the Minister of National Security and the Attorney General do not even know until the media tells them! But when they hold a consultation on crime they boast about how much money they have spent! This is where the PNM has us today.

The Health Ministry is an ongoing horror story. The tales coming out of Sando General are almost beyond belief. When the situation was reported in all the media, the head of staff claimed he was unaware of the situation. The disasters with children at Mount Hope, the fact that the Arima hospital had an MRI machine sitting in its box for over a year, the fact that the same hospital was completed some twelve years ago, but the two surgical theatres (outfitted and paid for) have never been used, all demonstrate the alarming ineptitude of this ministry. This is where the PNM has us today.

The PNM saw us saddled with the Prime Minister’s wife as our Minister of Education. Her reign has been marked by schools falling apart, parents and children protesting, children completing school yet unable to read and write, and sex orgies, filmed by children for children, regularly taking place in secondary schools. This is where the PNM has us today.

The failure of our infrastructure, the inability to supply water, the ongoing flooding after slight showers of rain, the increasing electrical outages, and the appalling traffic gridlock on our highways and city streets, are all examples of “where the PNM has us today.” The fact that people have to line up in the rain at 3.00 am to try to acquire a passport, that it takes a full day to renew a drivers’ permit, or to donate a pint of blood, are all testimony to the utter failure of a government, awash with money, that does not have the capability to deliver any basic amenity to its people. This is where the PNM has us today.

But while Manning and his cabinet hallucinate about 2020, and believe that the construction of useless buildings, and a grand palace for the Executive President are signs of “development,” and while he can have thousands of young people kept in bondage, under the day-to-day supervision of the Muslimeen, he can fool himself that these are things of which he can be proud. Indeed, it is the PNM that has these poor people in their pitiful state today. “Great is the PNM...”, and to hell with the nation.

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 03:19:59 PM »
Guess what?  It will be the PNM for at least another 5 years if your jokey party cannot get their act together.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 03:31:10 PM »
Either way is a jokey situation down they .So your devil better than they devil .

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 05:27:15 PM »
Either way is a jokey situation down they .So your devil better than they devil .

yep

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 09:53:37 PM »

yep

bakr is a cool fellah believe it or not, hes not a racist, not an anti-unity advocate, but if man pay money, dey get their moneys worth, patrick pay de money.... in trinidad its a sad state bc all u need is money, integrity, wisdom, heart and soul, genuine goodness and intelligence is negated by bad politics on both ends...

both parties are corrupted, pnm even more so bc of their long tenure and the amount of money that was stolen from our nation, i will vote for the party who could run the nation better, the greater manager of both evils... pnm has proven to fail in management of the nation under patrick, the pnm needs another leader who has a vision.... but who cares ent, everyone making money, dats the trini mentality, as long as i eat ah food i happy, which is why our nation is the way it is...

God is de BOSS...

God is de BOSS....

yuh does real talk shit!  When Manning tief anything?  Show me de proof, better yet take yuh proof to Camini Maraj and show she so she could edify all ah we.

Yuh ever vote in T&T?

steups.  And which party has better management?

And yuh always throwing words dat PNM pay me..what f**king money dey give me.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 12:19:14 AM »

Did the UNC do a better job in government than the current PNM?  I remember World Cup Stadia and Airport and Panday fighting with the media for whatever reason....o and dole chadee.

They weren't in power for long before they shoot themselves in the foot but were they getting things done?  This is not talked about because corruption for the airport project rightly took them out of serious consideration.  It still worth discussing to see what positives they achieved.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 01:18:46 AM »
Why is it that njac never even won a seat in parlament, are they that outragous. i was a junior member as a youth and i thought they were a very solid party. to bad they never got a chance, maybe it's the 70 thing that turn ppl off, or maybe they need a new leader. the last i heard dagger was still in the leadership position, what's the deal with old fellas and power boy?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 05:51:34 AM »

Did the UNC do a better job in government than the current PNM?  I remember World Cup Stadia and Airport and Panday fighting with the media for whatever reason....o and dole chadee.

They weren't in power for long before they shoot themselves in the foot but were they getting things done?  This is not talked about because corruption for the airport project rightly took them out of serious consideration.  It still worth discussing to see what positives they achieved.

world cup stadia?  yuh mean JAck Warner corruption stadia..and old school in biche, and billions fuh dat shit ass airport?  Or apartment in london, or Duprey?  or gil, or John..or millions stolen?

talk about management..they werent in power long because they were too damn bold faced and corrupt.

Did I feel they had competent people?  YES!  Did I find that they did a good job?

Hell no!

And they are too power hungry, especially that Panday!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 12:03:59 PM »
world cup stadia?  yuh mean JAck Warner corruption stadia..and old school in biche, and billions fuh dat shit ass airport?  Or apartment in london, or Duprey?  or gil, or John..or millions stolen?

talk about management..they werent in power long because they were too damn bold faced and corrupt.

Did I feel they had competent people?  YES!  Did I find that they did a good job?

Hell no!

yes yes we all know about the bad.  I want to know what good they did...it should not be overlooked when judging the current administration.

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 03:47:48 PM »
world cup stadia? yuh mean JAck Warner corruption stadia..and old school in biche, and billions fuh dat shit ass airport? Or apartment in london, or Duprey? or gil, or John..or millions stolen?

Did I feel they had competent people? YES! Did I find that they did a good job?

Hell no!

yes yes we all know about the bad. I want to know what good they did...it should not be overlooked when judging the current administration.

whats wrong with you breddah, only edi manning the crime minister does do good... :devil: unc never do nothing for the nation, despite the fact foreign investors who have spoken to me personally and stated they never want to deal with mannning again after dealing with him once... our foreign investment could be at a much higher rate than what it is right now, our roi has dwindled with the manning admin, compared to the 6 years unc was in power, right now i just stating facts, the pnm needs a new leader and vision, a united colourless vision...

God is de BOSS......

which f**king foreign investors you talk to?  steups yuh feel i je born or what?

And the T&T credit rating is highest now dan ever before...add to de fact dat we have MORE foreign investors now dan ever before, not to mention de T&T government divesting etc.

yuh does real talk shit.

Besides no investor has to deal with manning, in fact you will find dat T&T is doing very well in the trade department.

yuh talking SHIT!

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 10:01:40 AM »
http://www.imf.org/external/np/fin/tad/exportal.aspx?memberKey1=960&date1key=2007-05-31&category=EXC  In fact what de arse de IMF and de world bank have to do with we ever increasing gdp?

steups, all dat come because DIS government chose tuh accelerate de pace of publc sector reform, including thru de revisions in the compensation system, the introduction of performance benchmarks, and the devolution of autonomy to key departments and local governments. Divestment and restructuring of several state-owned entities is crucial to improve their financial viability and efficiency in delivery of services.   BPTT, Atlantic LNG, Smelters, PCS Nitrogen etc.

his torically, trinidad always had low debt because of de oil, so dat was never  factor in e credit rating. In fact during de 80's when most of de western hemisphere was suffering from rising debt we had enough in we reserves to avoid geavy borrowing.  even when we was hitting hard times due to falling oil prices/energy crisis days.

in de 70's and 80's we were an exception to ALL other dveloping countries in dat we did not need to keep borrowing from nobody, especially IMF and world bank, if yuhknow anything about this kinda talk yuh woulda know dat 78% all we borrowing was thru commercial banks!

Even den we had a very good credit rating, is jes now at its highest level ever!!

Title:   Trinidad And Tobago LT FC Ratings Raised To 'A-', LT LC Rating Raised To 'A+'; Outlook Stable
Price:   $175.00
Publication Date:   Jul 21, 2005
Report Type:   News
Issuer:   Trinidad and Tobago (Republic of)
Excerpt:   NEW YORK (Standard & Poor's) July ##, ####--Standard & Poor's Ratings Services said today that it raised its long-term foreign currency sovereign credit rating on the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago to '##' from '###+' and its long-term local currency sovereign credit rating to '##' from 'A'. Standard & Poor's also affirmed its '###' short-term foreign and '###' short-term local currency sovereign credit ratings on the republic. The outlook on the long-term ratings was revised to stable from positive. According to Standard & Poor's credit analyst Roberto Sifon Arevalo, the upgrades reflect increased policy flexibility resulting from continuing surpluses in Trinidad and Tobago's fiscal and external accounts, the buffer against economic shocks provided by the growing Heritage and Stabilization Fund
Sector:   Structured Finance, Global Issuers, Sovereigns, Asset-Backed Securities
Word Count:   610
Format:    HTML
Free Sample:    Click Here to Download

S&P Affirms Trinidad and Tobago’s Credit Rating

The Trinidad and Tobago economy received another positive review by international rating agency, Standard
and Poor’s recently. On 6 October 2006, S&P affirmed the country’s foreign currency rating at A- with a stable
outlook.

If yuh want to launch a valid criticsm, say dat we is ah one horse town and dat de government needs to divest in something other dan non-energy, den yuh would get some pips.

odderwise we is ah tiger in ah sea ah pussy cats fella.  we really need to protect we assets and economy thru non energy investments in trute becasue anything dat disrupts dat will be disaster fuh we nation!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yasin Abu Bakr Thread
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 09:21:24 PM »
State beats Bakr in Privy Council

Jamaat al Muslimeen leader Yasin Abu Bakr yesterday lost his appeal in the Privy Council, as the State moved closer to selling off 11 properties to satisfy a $32 million debt arising from the destruction of Police Headquarters during the 1990 attempted coup.

Bakr was hoping that the Law Lords would reinstate an affidavit he filed, but the Privy Council, in a 12-page judgment, said it was irrelevant to the proceedings. “It is on this ground of irrelevance, rather than that of any inconvenience or embarrassment to the Prime Minister, that the board consider that the decision of the Court of Appeal should be affirmed,” the Privy Council stated.

As a result, when Bakr returns to court on May 13, a date will be set for the conclusion of the summons for sale order. The Privy Council, which comprised Lords Hope, Rodger, Carswell, Neuberger and Lady Hale, also ordered Bakr to pay costs, which would be more than $1 million. Bakr was represented by Geoffrey Robertson, QC, and Sadakat Kadri. Counsel for the Attorney General were James Dingemans, QC, Douglas Mendes, SC, and John Almeida.

In 1994, the State commenced proceedings against Bakr and 113 members of the Jamaat for the destruction of Police Headquarters and damage to the Red House during the attempted coup. On September 6, 1996, the State obtained judgment in default of defence for damages to be assessed. On January 15, 2001, Justice Joseph Tam assessed judgment in the sum of $15 million with interest. That sum reached $32 million in 2006.

On February 6, 2006, the Attorney General issued a summons seeking the sale of 11 properties in an effort to satisfy the judgment. On June 8, 2006, Bakr swore to an affidavit in response. The substance of his defence was that, in a series of meetings between himself and Prime Minister Patrick Manning, he claimed that Manning agreed that the judgment debt would not be enforced.

The Attorney General moved to strike out the affidavit. In the affidavit, Bakr claimed that during meetings with Manning, he was asked to mobilise young people to vote for the People’s National Movement (PNM) in marginal constituencies in 2002, and to assist in curbing the increase in crime in certain areas. In the affidavit, Bakr said he presented Manning with a shopping list of what the Jamaat wanted in exchange for assisting the Government.

He said the Jamaat had decided that before they agreed to work with the Government, they had to have an agreement on certain matters, including assurances that there would be no attempt to enforce payment of the judgment debt. Bakr claimed that Manning called the judgment for damages a “paper judgment” which would never be enforced. On December 8, 2006, Justice Rajendra Narine dismissed the AG’s application to strike out Bakr’s affidavit. The AG appealed, and on January 15, 2007, the Court of Appeal comprising Justices Allan Mendonca, Ivor Archie, and Wendell Kangaloo, threw out Bakr’s affidavit. Bakr then appealed to the Privy Council.

In the judgment, Lord Carswell said: “It is important to note that the case concerns a private law action brought by the Attorney General on behalf of the State of Trinidad and Tobago against the Jamaat for damages. If the Prime Minister made an agreement on the lines alleged in the affidavit, it could not have been made on behalf of the State.” Lord Carswell said the agreement referred to in the affidavit was on its terms designed to advance the electorial prospects of the Prime Minister’s political party, and was not binding on the State.

“The essence of the agreement between the Prime Minister and Mr Abu Bakr on behalf of the Jamaat was that certain advantages would be given to the Jamaat out of State property, in return for securing voting support for the Prime Minister’s political party,” Carswell said. “In the opinion of the board, this was corrupt within the meaning and intendment of Section 3 (of the Prevention of Corruption Act 1987) and each party to the agreement was acting in contravention of the section.” The Court of Appeal held that the agreement was illegal at common law. Carswell said the agreement was illegal from its inception.

PROPERTIES FOR SALE

Jamaat al Muslimeen compound at 1 Mucurapo Road, St James.
Bakr’s homes at Queen’s Park East, La Puerta Avenue, Diego Martin.
Several parcels of land in Marabella, Couva, Guayaguayare and Las Cuevas, belonging to Kala Akii Bua, Gary Phillips and Ahmad Islam Ali. Value of the properties is estimated at $9,581,000.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:15:40 AM by Flex »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: State beats Bakr in Privy Council
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 09:49:21 PM »
 :o
i eh realise the actual jamaat compound would be for sale too...well look trouble!
Back in Trini...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 09:59:58 PM »
:o
i eh realise the actual jamaat compound would be for sale too...well look trouble!

Believe dat when I C it.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 11:08:18 PM »
wait nah. Abu Bakr walking free since 1990?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 05:14:28 PM »
they still fukkin around with this clown.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 05:45:06 PM »

Cosign

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 06:56:39 AM »

Cosign

Cosign de cosign  ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Jamal Shabazz: 1990 coup bid calls for serious analysis
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 08:30:03 AM »
Mods before alyuh chook this in General Section...give it a few hrs here nah...is a national coach talking here, and is a serious matter.

Source Trinidad Guardian

Jamal Shabazz: 1990 coup bid calls for serious analysis
Yvonne Baboolal
Published: 2 Aug 2009

Yvonne Baboolal

Former Muslimeen insurrectionist, Jamal Shabazz, believes there should be a serious analysis of everything surrounding the July 27, 1990, attempted coup of which he was a part. Shabazz was 27 when he was “given the job” to take over Radio Trinidad that Friday afternoon, announce the attempted coup, and reassure the population that the action had nothing to do with the setting up of an Islamic fundamentalist state. The following day, Shabazz joined the Muslimeen’s Imam, Yasin Abu Bakr, and his third in command, Hasan Anyabwile, at Trinidad and Tobago Television (TTT), where they held workers hostage for six days. Last Thursday, Shabazz, 46, now a football coach, told the Sunday Guardian why he participated in the coup, and how it affected his life.

Asked to recount the taking over of Radio Trinidad, he said: “I don’t want to rehash people’s pain and trauma.” He said, however, that he had ten Muslimeen insurrectionists with him, and that two Radio Trinidad workers were injured. “We ensured that they got medical attention,” he noted, and continued: “On Saturday, I abandoned Radio Trinidad and took up residence at TTT. “I left a big note on the station’s door, stating that we had abandoned the building and there were only hostages on the compound.” Asked if the claims of involvement by politicians in the coup were true, Shabazz said: “It’s not in my place to try and tarnish anyone’s reputation, nor to take a serious matter and make a political scandal of it. July 27, 1990, is much too serious for me to do this.

“If we live to tell the story, and given the right opportunity, the nation needs to know the truth in a proper forum, like a national inquiry. “A lot of the disclosures about the Muslimeen and its connections must come from the leader. While I am getting weary of bearing the burdens of 1990, I will not break the protocol.” Asked to comment on Prime Minister Patrick Manning’s claims of an assassination plot against him by a certain organisation, Shabazz dismissed any notion of Jamaat involvement. “I think more people in the Jamaat are PNM than any other party.” He noted, however, that the Jamaat had allowed itself to be “used, abused and hoodwinked” by different political parties, even as recent as the last general election. “The Jamaat was approached by the Congress of the People, the United National Congress and the People’s National Movement, to do field work for them. “We worked with all three parties, and I dare all of them to come out and deny it,” Shabazz challenged.

Prison, persecution
Shabazz said he had faced “tremendous challenges” in his career as a football coach and community worker, because of his involvement in the coup bid. “There were people lobbying in high places against me working at a national team level.” (He is a former T&T and Guyana national football coach, and now assistant director of women’s football here.) “I had visa and travel restraints to the US, which has been partially lifted. I can now travel under specific conditions,” he said. He recalled spending 53 days in the Miami Detention Centre, after he was arrested at that country’s airport. “I had gone abroad to do a coaching course, but was charged for having a travel document I was not supposed to have. “However, God has given me the strength to rise above these obstacles, and still contribute to T&T in the field of sports,” he said.

Still unanswered
Shabazz called for a serious analysis of everything surrounding the insurrection, when asked to comment on calls for a commission of enquiry into the event which has left unanswered questions to this day. “The media have not allowed the Jamaat the opportunity to speak freely and frankly on why people, who are supposed to be sane human beings, could suddenly erupt in such an aggressive manner,” he charged. Told that he was getting an opportunity to speak freely, he began: “There were several reasons that resulted in July 27,1990. “The primary one was constant government (National Alliance for Reconstruction) harassment of the Muslimeen by putting army and police posts on the compound, despite court rulings denouncing such state actions.”

Shabazz said another reason was the “political climate” in the country at the time. “The NAR’s draconian policies presented a situation where public servants, oil workers, nurses, were protesting on the streets. “There was massive retrenchment of workers, the implementation of Value Added Tax and the taking away of Cost of Living Allowance from workers.” Asked if there was a similar situation in the country today, he replied: “It’s worse.” A third reason for the coup attempt was the persecution of the Jamaat. “Information had reached the Imam of an impending military strike on the Muslimeen to decimate the leadership. “When the politician ignores the court and uses the might of the military, then the matter becomes a military one. “Therefore, much to my regret today, these things prompted the reactions of the Muslimeen.”

Full of idealism
Shabazz, great nephew of the late economist, Lloyd Best, spent a part of his childhood in Tacarigua. “Lloyd had a deep influence on my thinking, socially,” he said. When he was 11, Shabazz’ mom took the family to Morvant. “I became so much a part of the area that Laventille is in my blood. I feel the pain of the political neglect of the people, despite their loyalty to the PNM.” By age 27, he was full of idealism, he said. “After the era of the 1970 Black Power Revolution and the the National Union of Freedom Fighters (NUFF guerrillas), I started reading writers like Malcolm X and Marcus Garvey. “I felt a great commitment to bring about social change in my country.” The commitment remains. But a coup to change things? “Personally, when I look back, I think our action could have been avoided. If similar conditions were presented, I would use my new-found mediation skills and patience to avoid rash actions.”

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamal Shabazz: 1990 coup bid calls for serious analysis
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 10:27:37 AM »
Coach or no coach, he shoulda get lock up just like the rest of them miscreants, even if he had to break smaller rock dan dat 4kr bakr in golden grove.

Whether he had a change of heart in the middle of the ting is irrelevant...to this day nobody eh pay for all the trauma dem fellahs cause people and the country.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 10:50:10 AM »
Ole dutty criminals , all ah dem. They should have been at least imprisoned for life in not executed for high treason.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 10:51:01 AM »
Coach or no coach, he shoulda get lock up just like the rest of them miscreants, even if he had to break smaller rock dan dat 4kr bakr in golden grove.

Whether he had a change of heart in the middle of the ting is irrelevant...to this day nobody eh pay for all the trauma dem fellahs cause people and the country.

And STILL causin and wil cause for generations to come.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 10:52:06 AM »
Ole dutty criminals , all ah dem. They should have been at least imprisoned for life in not executed for high treason.

ok, but what about the people who looted and burnt down the buildings? what should happen to them?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »

One man's "ole dutty criminal" is a next man "freedom fighter" which is why we leave it to the courts to decide
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 11:11:22 AM »

One man's "ole dutty criminal" is a next man "freedom fighter" which is why we leave it to the courts to decide
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 11:11:54 AM »

ok, but what about the people who looted and burnt down the buildings? what should happen to them?
Prosecute all law breakers.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »

Prosecute all law breakers.

I cool with that.

However, wasnt the muslimeen given a pardon which was upheld in the court of law? So whilst we vex that Abu and the lot show disregard for the law, we doing the same thing.

What i want to see is all the men who was behind the scenes (who ever they are) that weren't given pardons brought to justice be it which ever 'prominent' people today.

Question - was the majority of damage done to the country carried out by the muslimeen or by the people themselves?
Were the majority of people outraged, or were they in support or even happy/excited at the time?
Allyuh  ever went (or know of people who did )any get togethers and real lime and ketch real kicks/ knock cards/ had a good time during the coup, and took the thing like a big holiday?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 11:44:33 AM »
The court should have put and maybe should still put a "Gag Order"  on all them fellas especially where the press is concerned.  That interview is still packed anti-government talk. He should not be coaching nationally at any level.  And we wonder why we cyah organize a strong team.  Slackness Culture
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

1]; } ?>