March 28, 2024, 05:23:49 AM

Author Topic: Shaka moves to Dallas FC  (Read 27701 times)

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: Shaka moves to Dallas FC
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 12:40:36 PM »
Goog move.  He's now in the twilight of his career and will be considered a big name in the league.  I bet he's probably in the upper echelon of pay bracket.  They couldn't stop saying that de man was a Howard grad and final four participant twice.  Dallas is also a good area to springboard his coching career too. Texas youth soccer is one of the best in the in the country.

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 12:43:29 PM »
An interesting move indeed. MLS teams are dominated by US keepers so it is nice to see Shaka breaking the barriers. Actually, Dallas is the only team that currently has a non-US keeper on its roster!

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 12:43:50 PM »
Conrats Shaka... I think yuh making a good move... Also Shaka have a degree in business (I think). I believe he will be able to make more money when his playing days are over in the US>
I thinks its Engineering.

Yes it is Engineering, Shaka is very intelligent and would do well whatever he chooses to do. I am glad he will be payed well in Dallas but this MLS is like a retirement league, ah hear Beckham coming over here too to set up a soccer school

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: shaka press conference live here
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2006, 12:44:20 PM »
good move shaka!!! I speculate that he prob went to reuinte with his goalkeeping coach...plus i am sure the money good...

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2006, 12:47:44 PM »
at 38 yuh have nothing to do but retire soon...at least he could prob play till he 40 now!! I for one glad he here...

Offline ladywarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2006, 01:01:42 PM »
Allyuh getting tie up oui.  Dallas means not just regular playing time, but more importantly a paycheck every month for the next couple years, AND a comfortable lifestyle for his family.

Shaka not dotish.  He knows his career is winding down, and wants to make the money as long as is possible.  Also, family-wise, it is a great move as he and his wife are very familiar with the US ad have loads of friends here.

So look at the big picture for once, fellas.  All is not football and quality of league, family is also important as is career longevity.

Great move Shaka.  Very smart.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2006, 01:03:12 PM »
THe MLS is a shit league, and yes its a league where once big stars go to play our their days, make some change in an easy league.
The MLS is for men who cant make it in the EPL anymore, who here think Shaka cant make it in the EPL anymore??
From FA Cup Final, outstanding game(s) in the World Cup and your next move is the MLS!!!!
nah nah nah
I doubt the MLS could pay him more than he could make with a contract extension in England gettign paid on pounds.  And from what I hear he is very comfortable with his family life in England.

and not to mention I am very vexed that we dont have a frigging team here in Florida to allow me to see we boys play.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2006, 01:28:27 PM »
good move shaka!!! I speculate that he prob went to reuinte with his goalkeeping coach...plus i am sure the money good...

yuh feel shaka hurting for money after all these years in the EPL?
yuh feel he making more than he could get in pounds from and EPL team?

allyuh saints men is tears yes

truetrini

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2006, 01:44:22 PM »

heh heh heh   tell dem Mr MC

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2006, 02:01:20 PM »
so this move to the MLS mean that Shaka retirement immenent then?

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2006, 02:02:20 PM »

I could be wrong but I dont think he meant that Shaka needs a big pay check. He may not be making more than in England but duscam just said the money good not better or worse.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2006, 02:32:56 PM »
So now we dont have a single player in d Prem  :-[

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2006, 03:08:09 PM »
If Jack wasn't in such a big hurry to rush and sign for a club that have no respect for Sancho, Shaka coulda probly put a good word in for him and he coulda be second string at West Ham...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2006, 03:08:52 PM »
MLS is where big footballers go to die
an elephant graveyard

:rotfl: :rotfl:

sad but true  ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline TTFAn

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2006, 03:15:10 PM »
Anybody knows what date he is likely to line up for the team? Would be a reason to go watch an MLS game and were mih Warrior Nation T-shirt when they come to town

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2006, 03:16:43 PM »
Anybody knows what date he is likely to line up for the team? Would be a reason to go watch an MLS game and were mih Warrior Nation T-shirt when they come to town

he wont be dere for a next 2-3 weeks, but from then expect him to be playing lots...ah got this from the press conf.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2006, 03:21:41 PM »
Hopefully I could get to see him play live if Dallas play Toronto in the MLS next season.
well yes

Offline Eh!

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2006, 04:16:51 PM »
Allyuh aware Shaka have badges and workin on more?  The FA sponsors the courses for all registered players interested in taking them and he has been making use of this.  The States also expedites Green Card proceedings for pro athletes. Two words to sum up his motivation for the move  'Coach & Camps'  Shaka eh dotish, the States have real football money floatin around and while I'm sure he will try to have a tremedous time savin for Dallas, he looking toward the football after life right now and linin up he ducks.  He resume impressive enough at this point.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2006, 04:29:04 PM »
Plenty ppl saying Shaka make ah bad move but I am sure Shaka gave it a lot of thought and he did what is the best for himself and his family.  Some of allyuh does come down on players like you are actually in their shoes and know 100% of the facts.  True I find it very strange he left the EPL to go the MLS but Shaka knows what's his goals are and me must respect his choice.  Generally speaking, there is much more to life than playing in the EPL especially when yuh is 37 yrs old.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2006, 04:30:39 PM »
Plenty ppl saying Shaka make ah bad move but I am sure Shaka gave it a lot of thought and he did what is the best for himself and his family.  Some of allyuh does come down on players like you are actually in their shoes and know 100% of the facts.  True I find it very strange he left the EPL to go the MLS but Shaka knows what's his goals are and me must respect his choice.  Generally speaking, there is much more to life than playing in the EPL especially when yuh is 37 yrs old.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:  Very well said!

Respeck.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2006, 05:25:31 PM »
World Cup 'keeper Hislop joins FC Dallas
By Steve Hunt / MLSnet.com Staff 

• FC Dallas press release >
FRISCO, Texas -- In a signing expected to be perhaps the crowning touch on making FC Dallas an MLS Cup contender, the club Wednesday announced the acquisition of Trinidad & Tobago goalkeeper Shaka Hislop. Hislop, who will likely join in the team in a few weeks, is expected to compete for the Hoops' No. 1 goalkeeper spot currently held by Dario Sala.

"As we all know, championship teams are built on two primary things: character and depth," said FC Dallas president and general manager Michael Hitchcock. "Today with the addition of Shaka Hislop, a world-class goalkeeper, we are complementing a great team that we feel will compete for championships. By adding depth at a key position, this is going to get us closer to becoming that championship team for our fans."

Hislop, 37, is most recently known for his outstanding performance between the posts for Trinidad & Tobago in the World Cup. Taking hold of the opportunity when starter Kelvin Jack was injured, Hislop started the first two matches for the Soca Warriors -- who provided one of the big stories of the cup in their scoreless draw with Sweden in the opening round. T&T allowed just four goals, although they were eliminated after the group stage.

"We started out at the beginning of this season and talked a lot about quality players," said FC Dallas head coach Colin Clarke. "Now we have the chance to add another great one to FC Dallas. The thing that Shaka brings to us is depth, experience and leadership. He's going to be out there fighting for a place with everybody else."

The 6-foot-4 Hislop also kept a clean sheet for the opening 83 minutes of Trinidad & Tobago's second match, which ended in a 2-0 loss to England. He was last with West Ham United of the English Premier League, helping lead them to last May's FA Cup Final against Liverpool. Hislop is clearly looking forward to his next challenge -- playing in MLS.

"I am very excited about joining FC Dallas at a time when they are leading the Western Conference," he said. "They are a very exciting club, a club with a fantastic roster that is surrounded by people with a tremendous soccer history. It's a new and exciting challenge and it comes at a great time in my career."

With Hislop's signing, the Hoops now have four 'keepers on their roster: Ray Burse, a third-round pick in the 2006 Super Draft who has played well for the FCD reserves, 11-year MLS veteran Jeff Cassar, who has been injured for most of the season and Sala, who has played all 16 games in goal and has two clean sheets while allowing only 1.35 goals per game.

Even with such an impressive soccer pedigree, Hislop knows he will have to work for playing time just like the rest of the FCD roster.

"I've never asked for guarantees or had to ask coaches or managers about their expectations of me," he said. "I am looking forward to competing for the starting job with Dario and Jeff, who are fantastic and accomplished goalkeepers in their own right. I'm sure that I can help bring the best out of them and they will certainly see the same from me."

His signing reunites him with Alan Knight, FCD's current goalkeeping coach and a longtime standout 'keeper in the EPL. Hislop worked with Knight for three seasons while with Portsmouth, the same team where Knight and Clarke were teammates.

"I'm looking forward to it (working with Knight again)," Hislop said. "I had three very successful years with Alan down at Portsmouth. Before we came together, I think in 10 previous seasons, Portsmouth finished above 13th once. Professionally, it was a very successful three years. Personally, I have a lot of respect for Alan."

Another major factor in his signing was the great leadership he will likely bring to the team.

"I come with a lot of experience and plan to share that," he said. "I think that (leadership) is one of my stronger points at this stage in my career. I'm a good leader and can direct on the pitch most importantly. These are the things that I'm sure Colin (Clarke) is looking for me to bring to the team. It's a strong roster and just needs a little push. I intend to bring that."

Clarke knows that adding Hislop to the roster instantly makes them a better team, which should pay dividends in the playoffs.

"When we knew he was available, we jumped at the chance to bring him here," Clarke said. "Last year in the playoffs, I thought our goalkeeping was lacking when we needed it most."

The FCD head coach also feels that Hislop's signing adds further depth to his already deep roster.

"We knew at the start of this season that we were going to need a very deep squad to get through this season and we're adding another quality player," Clarke said. "Our goalkeeper situation now becomes to me, one of the best in the league.

"I feel that with the 'keepers we have with this club that we have built a very strong club from the back to goalkeeper all the way through to a championship."

Steve Hunt is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2006, 05:32:51 PM »
HISLOP LANDS LEADING ROLE IN DALLAS

Shaka Hislop will return to America to finish his career after signing for FC Dallas from West Ham.

The 37-year-old graduated from Howard University, Washington, in 1992 and played for Baltimore Blast before joining Reading and spending 14 years in English football.

Hislop recently starred for Trinidad and Tobago during a World Cup campaign which saw them have a chance of qualifying for the knockout stages before defeat to Paraguay ended their hopes.

"This is an exciting new challenge for me," said Hislop, whose move is subject to visa approval.

"I went to school in the United States and have a lot of respect for soccer in the country. I look forward to bringing my experience to a great organisation and help FC Dallas win championships in America."

Hislop had two spells at West Ham and also played for Newcastle and Portsmouth.

Although he was expected to spend most of last season on the bench, injury to Roy Carroll meant Hislop helped the Hammers reach the FA Cup final, where they lost to Liverpool on penalties.

Meanwhile, Preston right-back Tyrone Mears is set to complete his move to Upton Park.

The 23-year-old travelled to London on Monday to agree personal terms and Preston have confirmed he was due at Upton Park today to undergo a medical.

The Hammers turned their attention to Mears after attempts to sign England full-back Luke Young from Charlton fell through over the weekend.

Preston revealed they had turned down two bids from Charlton before agreeing a fee with West Ham manager Alan Pardew.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2006, 05:49:03 PM »
Good Talk.

People here talking about money and football. This move is not really about either. It is about a man winding down his career at 37 and deciding that lifestyle is the most important factor.

Zidane is retiring from all football except fetematches after this world cup. He is only 34.

Get some prespective people.
TnT Patriot

Offline ladywarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2006, 05:51:37 PM »
 Yeah for Shaka! A true family man that is never afraid to make a change for the right reasons. What's more important that family and a secure gig?
I will travel to see him play and we will welcome him with big cheers!
I have been a Shaka "groupie" since St Marys and not ashamed to admit it. They didn't even make a Hislop T & T jersey for the World Cup! His wife made her own! I bet you Dallas will make me one?
The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2006, 06:12:02 PM »
he's 37 years old. Good for him that he found a starting job in a league that is no-pressure, and where his wife and family can be comfortable. Shaka has proved it all in england already. Look forward to seeing your matches on TV Shaka.
Hart for president

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2006, 06:48:58 PM »
Conrats Shaka... I think yuh making a good move... Also Shaka have a degree in business (I think). I believe he will be able to make more money when his playing days are over in the US>

Shaka's degree is in Mechanical Engineering.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2006, 06:50:35 PM »
Allyuh aware Shaka have badges and workin on more?  The FA sponsors the courses for all registered players interested in taking them and he has been making use of this.  The States also expedites Green Card proceedings for pro athletes. Two words to sum up his motivation for the move  'Coach & Camps'  Shaka eh dotish, the States have real football money floatin around and while I'm sure he will try to have a tremedous time savin for Dallas, he looking toward the football after life right now and linin up he ducks.  He resume impressive enough at this point.

VERY WELL SAID!!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2006, 06:59:16 PM »
Yeah we don't know all the possible reasons he had to consider before he made his decision but he has proven to be level headed and a family man.

At any rate, I Live in Dallas so good for me. Ah sure mus be Brian haynes hook that up. ;D
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2006, 07:28:41 PM »

Shaka knows exactly WHAT he's doing, why he's doing it, and all the critics out there need to understand that when a man makes a decision in life, he makes one that at that time he feels is best for him and/or his family.  I wouldn't be surprised if the man setting himself up to get his coaching career going after his playing days are done.

1]; } ?>