April 23, 2024, 08:54:40 PM

Author Topic: Shaka banks on positive way forward for T&T football.  (Read 4893 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Shaka banks on positive way forward for T&T football.
« on: July 03, 2006, 03:07:36 PM »
Evans Wise hands out his wealth.
By: Walter Alibey (Newsday).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Evans Wise has said he will give ten percent of the money received from Government for his World Cup exploits and another ten percent of his monthly salary to a Dibe Long Circular church, the Dibe community and to charity.
Wise who played left midfield for the Soca Warriors at the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany gave this promise to the community on Saturday when he spent some time with the young footballers in the district.
Although the Germany-based footballers did not reveal how much the money will amount to, he gave the assurance that it will be “a significant amount.”
Wise told reporters at the Long Circular Road Community Centre that he has already set aside the money that he will distribute.
He said he has always wanted to give back to the community where he grew up and felt it was the ideal time for him to do so.
Wise who plays for German Third Division club Waldhof Mannhein said he felt privileged to be a role model in the community.
“I remember going to church when I was a little boy and the role it played in my life was tremendous,” Wise said.
He said he also goes to a church in Germany when he gets the time, because it is where he gets his blessings from daily.
The talented left-footed former St Anthony College stand-out was among 24 players who received $750,000 in Unit Trust Corporation units and $250,000 in cash as well as the Chaconia Gold Medal from the government for their performances.
Trinidad and Tobago drew 0-0 with Sweden in their opening Group “B” match at the World Cup and produced equally impressive performances in their other two matches against England and Paraguay which they both lost 2-0.
Meanwhile Wise revealed that his performance at the World Cup has opened the door for offers from many clubs in Europe and elsewhere.
He said that there have been offers from first and second division clubs in Germany as well as teams in Greece and the United States. He said that his only problem is that he has another year remaining on his contract at Waldhof Mannhein and will have to complete it before he can move on.
News from the 08th of July 2006.

Saddlers snap up Clayton Ince.
By: Walsall FC.
[/size]

The Saddlers (Walsall FC) have completed the signing of giant Trinidad & Tobago International goalkeeper, Clayton Ince from Coventry City. Ince, who celebrates his 34th Birthday next week, has spent the summer at the World Cup where he was an unused substitute and puts pen to paper at Bescot Stadium following a successful trial spell.
He first arrived in the English game back in September 1999 when Crewe Alexandra snapped him up from T&T club Defence Force and he went on to make 137 appearances in all competitions for Dario Gradi's side, whilst also having a spell on loan at Dundee in 2000.
His next move took him to Coventry City last summer, but after making just four starts during 2005/06, he was allowed to link-up with the Saddlers on a free transfer despite having a year left to run on his Sky Blues contract.
A tall and agile 'keeper, who is a fine shot-stopper, he has been named Caribbean Goalkeeper of the Year three times and has 63 caps to his name. "Clayton is athletic and will bring a real physical presence to the team," said manager, Richard Money. "His experience is going to be vital to us; he has just returned from the World Cup and has played a lot of games at Championship level throughout his career.
"We have been searching for a goalkeeper for most of the summer, so I am delighted that we have finally been able to secure someone of Clayton's calibre."
News from the 06th of July 2006.

FC Dallas signs World Cup goalkeeper Shaka Hislop.
FC Dallas Media Relations.
[/size]

FRISCO, Texas - FC Dallas announced today the signing of Trinidad & Tobago 2006 World Cup starting goalkeeper Shaka Hislop. Hislop joins FC Dallas from English Premier League club West Ham United, with which he played 25 games during the recently completed 2005-2006 season including in the FA Cup Final in May, 2006.
"This is an exciting new challenge for me," said Hislop. "I went to school in the United States and have a lot of respect for soccer in the country. I look forward to bringing my experience to a great organization and help FC Dallas win championships in America."
Hislop has had a tremendous summer to date. In May, he led West Ham to the Football Association Cup (FA Cup) final against Liverpool. Having tied 3-3 in regulation, Liverpool pulled out the victory by a 3-1 margin in penalty kicks. A month later, Hislop was in goal for his country at the 2006 World Cup in Germany. On June 10, Hislop's made numerous game-saving stops to give Trinidad a historic shutout against a powerful Sweden side. Five days later, he started against England, keeping a clean sheet for 83 minutes before falling 2-0.
Hislop was born in London and moved to Trinidad with his family when he was two years old. From 1988-1992 he attended Howard University in Washington D.C., playing goalkeeper all four years for the Bisons. In his freshman year, Howard advanced to the NCAA Division 1 College Cup final, losing 1-0 to Indiana. He graduated in May 1992 with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering.
Having an English passport, Hislop was offered an opportunity to play professionally in England. After college, he was drafted by the Baltimore Blast, a professional indoor soccer team. In an exhibition game against Aston Villa in Birmingham, he was spotted by a scout from Reading FC. He signed and made his professional debut with Reading in the English Second Division against West Bromwich Albion on September 9, 1992 and helped the team get promoted to the First Division following the 1993-1994 season. In his third season, he led the club to a second place finish, narrowly missing out promotion to the English Premier League (EPL).
Following his success at Reading, he was transferred to Newcastle United of the EPL on August 10, 1995 for 1.575 million pounds, then an English record for a goalkeeper. He went on to play 126 games over three years with Newcastle and then signed with West Ham United for the 1998-1999 season. After four seasons with West Ham, Hislop was signed by Portsmouth of the First Division for the 2001-2002 season, where he was coached by current FC Dallas goalkeeping coach Alan Knight. Hislop helped the team gain promotion to the top flight after his first season, and kept the team in the Premiership for his next two campaigns.
After a trial at Crystal Palace, Hislop re-signed with West Ham - which had just been promoted to the Premier League - on July 29, 2005. He played 25 games for West Ham during the past season, including seven games during the run to the FA Cup final.
On the international front, Hislop made his first international appearance for England's U-21 team, playing against Switzerland in March 1998 as one of three overage players allotted to each team. He was also called in to an England 'B' game against Chile on February 10, 1998, though he did not see action. Having never played a FIFA sanctioned game for England, Hislop made his international debut with Trinidad & Tobago on March 28, 1999.
In April 2005, Hislop was recognized as the recipient of the Professional Footballers Association (PFA) Special Merit Award for his continued involvement with the "Show Racism The Red Card" campaign, which he helped start in 1996 as a way to keep racism away from soccer.
Hislop, will occupy the teams fourth senior international slot will join the team pending visa approval once the International Transfer Window opens on July 15. His full name is Neil Shaka Hislop. He is married and the couple has four daughters.

Shaka Hislop Professional Soccer Club History

1992-1995 Reading (ENG)
1995-1998 Newcastle United (ENG)
1998-2002 West Ham United (ENG)
2002-2005 Portsmouth (ENG)
2005-2006 West Ham United (ENG)
News from the 04th of July 2006.

Shaka banks on positive way forward for T&T football.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Goalkeeper Shaka Hislop wants his teammates and every member of the team staff that represented Trinidad and Tobago at the 2006 World Cup Finals to take with them every bit of experience as the country looks towards the way forward in football.
Hislop was speaking after experiencing all the euphoria following the team’s appearance and return from Germany.
Although admitting that as a professional, he was somewhat disappointed with not being able to attain better results, his gut feeling will forever remain one of pride and satisfaction to have represented so well on the world stage.
“My initial feelings as a player was some disappointment. You never like to lose and regardless of who you are playing with or against, so initially the last couple of games brought some disappointment,” Hislop told TTFF Media.
“But now that we have woken on a brand new morning I can look back with a lot of pride as a Trinidad and Tobagonian. I feel proud of how we competed on what is the world’s football highest stage. We certainly left an impression in Germany on and off the pitch.
He also recalled hearing the national anthem before the first fixture against Sweden as his proudest moment.
“I think it was hearing the anthem before the Sweden game. I’m sure I speak for a lot of fans. I spoke to a few friends there afterwards and I think that one moment summed it up. It lay a lot of ghosts to rest, as it were, to realize that Trinidad and Tobago were really here and about to compete. For me it was a dream come true as it was a for a lot of fans  in T&T and those who made the journey. It all of a sudden became real. Bahrain and the qualification were behind us. Never to be forgotten and now we were here and hearing our anthem,” Hislop added with a beam of pride.
And the West Ham goalie, still to decide where he will continue his club career, now has the future of the T&T game in sight.
“For the guys here the way forward is to those very guys who have some  years left in them. I say to them and all of us don’t forget not only what we achieved but the disappointment we felt…. realise how magnificent this campaign was as but take this with you not only on national football but certainly at club level. Don’t underestimate what this tiny country has achieved, don’t underestimate what you have achieved and go on to build on that. If we do that and do it successfully and we can all understand our role  not just in short term but also in long term (then) it should leave Trinidad and Tobago football in good stead. We must not let this momentum die. Don’t wait for 2010 to adore and acknowledge the national team. Let’s keep it going,” Hislop ended.
Giving credit where it was due to Dutchman Leo Beenhakker and his assistants, Hislop  believes also that the experience of the players and support staff members should be capitalized on as the country now looks towards 2010.
Jack signs up with Gillingham.
By: Shaun Fuentes.

National team goalkeeper Kelvin Jack has become the first player to sign a new contract following this country’s appearance at the 2006 World Cup Finals.
Jack put pen to paper on Monday as he agreed to a new two-year deal with English League One club Gillingham where he will now join Soca Warriors teammates Brent Sancho and Ian Cox.
The 30-year-old former CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh ‘keeper was a free agent after seeing out his contract with Scottish club Dundee before the Germany experience and is now looking forward to playing on English soil.
“I’m delighted to have signed this deal with Gillingham,” Jack told TTFF Media on Monday. “Their ambitions interest me a lot and they want to get straight back into the Championship Division where they rightly belong and I am really looking forward to being part of that drive to help them realize this ambition.”
Jack had been weighing up other offers even before he appeared in T&T’s final match against Paraguay before deciding to sign up.
“There were some other clubs who showed interest but Gillingham came up with a concrete and decent offer and I felt I could go that direction especially as they showed a willingness to commit. And now of course being able to join Brent and Coxy is also a chance for us to form a formidable barrier and help the club push for promotion,” Jack added.
He is expected to go right into being the number one at Gillingham following the departures of Jason Brown and Paul Crichton. Among the other T&T players likely to be weighing up new offers include Carlos Edwards, Sancho, Chris Birchall, Aurtis Whitley, Shaka Hislop and Dwight Yorke among others.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:20:20 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shaka banks on positive way forward for T&T football.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 05:37:30 PM »
congrats to jack on a new contract
hopefully he can continue to improve

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 05:42:40 PM »
Shaka meh boy although it was the short version of the anthem hearing it was so amazing.

Jack better improve he young so he is to be better in 2010
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 05:46:15 PM »
Shaka meh boy although it was the short version of the anthem hearing it was so amazing.

Jack will be 34 in 2010

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 06:01:27 PM »

Jack will be 34 in 2010

well he shud reach his peek by den
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 06:29:29 PM »
34 is not old 4 a keper remember Zoff, Shilton and Shaka
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 07:01:25 PM »
34 is not old 4 a keper remember Zoff, Shilton and Shaka
Well lets hope so in his case

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 07:48:03 AM »
Gilingham is ok, but still would have liked to see him play in the champion league...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 08:29:09 AM »
Gilingham is ok, but still would have liked to see him play in the champion league...

my taughts exactly
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 02:44:50 PM »

Jack "Im Really Forward To It."
Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Kelvin Jack is delighted to have joined the Gills.
By Gillingham FC

The 30-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international goalkeeper signed a two-year deal on Monday and is now looking forward to the new season: "I'm delighted to have signed this deal with Gillingham," Jack told the TTFF Media. "Their ambitions interest me a lot and they want to get straight back into the Championship, where they rightly belong.  I am really looking forward to being part of that drive to help them realize this ambition."

Jack revealed he had received several offers during the World Cup but felt a move to Priestfield was the best option: "There were some other clubs who showed interest but Gillingham came up with a concrete and decent offer. I felt I could go that direction especially as they showed a willingness to commit. Now, of course, being able to join Brent and Coxy is also a chance for us to form a formidable barrier and help the club push for promotion."

Sign up to our SMS service and get 100% official breaking news and goal alerts on your mobile!

All materials on this website © Gillingham Football Club & FL Interactive.

Photographs courtesy of Empics, Action Images,
Allsport and Keith Slater ©

Part of the Official Football Sites network
All rights reserved save as per website Terms of Use. Privacy Statement.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>