March 28, 2024, 11:29:32 AM

Author Topic: SSFL players  (Read 22196 times)

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: SSFL players
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2006, 11:34:06 AM »
Fatima's Ronnie Simmons my all time favorite
other names
grimes eldo
sampson benedicts
yorke
clausel

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 11:41:59 AM »
I can go back to the days of Gamaldo- Holly Carrington- I kick against them from Trinity.
 But as most of the present Forumites are the 80/90 generation.

Ian Clauzel, Marvin Raebern. Kamu Laird- a little wild but with a good coach , would be in the T&T team today- one midfielder who aint fraid no body.
 The reason Intercol players of yesteryears were of a higher standard is simply because they played in the First division with Malvern, Maple, Colts. shamrock,etc and after leaving school fitted in to the big clubs.

Gally was special as he was playing against big men when he attended Richmond Street Anglican Primary school.
 Not that school was a football machine .

That is where we need to get backto and the Community leagues. Like the mangue, Poor house, Etc.

...Poor house !!! lawd yuh bring back memories dey dread ...ah remember man use to geh beat round de flag pole that was actually on de field.Side like US Banns,Bangladesh,Limchoy's Unique)  Man like Monte Clarke,Jappa( from belmont with Ron and Len LA) Quao and he brothers....
Injunchile yuh bring back some good memories dey ...thx
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 11:56:04 AM »
I will make mih lil small contribution b4 this topic become real heated...this topic comes up every 3 months.

I watch SSFL..well CFL (good old Wrangler Colleges Football League) from 1985 - 1996. (Only saw a few games in 1985....Sando Tech and Arima games mostly)...so from the little I remember from 1985..Latas, Leonson Lewis, and Timothy Haynes on de list.

From 1986-1996..talking about players that dominated games and made significant contribution to their teams success..hence no evans wise and several other crowd pleasers.

TOP 5
1) Dwight Yorke
2) Anthony Sherwood
3) Ivan Sampson
4) Colvin Hutchinson
5) Shaka Hislop

Sheldon Bennett, Nigel Neverson, Colin Osbourne, Sean DeSouza, Arnold Dwarika, Glen Benjamin, Roger Guiseppi, Colin Rocke, Martin Jordan, Jeremy Shortt, Brent Bennett, Mickey Trotman, Jerren Nixon, David Austin, David Grimmes,Avery John.

P.S. I am a little biased to the south because I saw endless south games but saw enough Big 7 and national intercol games so my opinion is not that biased.

For example Sean DeSouza was a great player but he played for Point Fortin so he wasn't in the limelight very much.

I have seen some of the younger guys (after 1996) that have been mentioned and they are nothing compared to these guys.

Men will say i real bias when I mention the name Daryl Edwards because 99% of the men on this forum never heard of him except if they went to school in the south around 86, 87...he was one hell of a player that disappeared after school.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 12:08:19 PM by real madness »

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 12:02:05 PM »
Sherwood
Yorke
Glen
Glasgow
Dwarikah
Cornwall
Edwards
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 12:09:10 PM »
Ah curious ...Any ah dem names we throwing out there are any of them formites ? and if so all yuh come out and identify yuhself and take yuh props nah man  :beermug:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 12:39:01 PM »
Ian 'de dread dribbler' Clauzel..... Dwight Yorke..... Colvin Hutchinson...Jerren Nixon.....Cobo from de beetham :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 12:48:44 PM »
Skill men in SSFL

We had...Raeburn, beat and speed.
Then Wise was a boss.
Miguel Mitchell
Dwarika
Darrin Lewis
Glasgow
They had a man from st Anthnys with a big Fro name Ezeb
Chesley Walters
Hector Sam...yes nuttin coulda touch he for QRC.
Sherwood
The Moze brothers except the last one.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Marky NYC

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 01:02:35 PM »
Jerol Forbes
Gorian Highley
Leon 'Police' BrownKenwyne Jones
Carlos Edwards
Hayden Tinto

How I forgot that name......big big big player!! Yes, I think Marco living england now.

Kingman

I use to play with Marco for our Village we grew up togother, he is in Ohio now I believe he got a scholarship in Ohio while his cuz Ansil Elcock was playing for Columbus, and thats where he fell off

Other players:

Addi Reaque (St Augustine) anyone know where he is now??
and Around the same time with Addi there use to be a guy they use to call Red Man had a wicked left foot.

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 01:15:35 PM »
I forgot Randy from Gustine

its a pity nobody from the central zone gettin ratings.......central zone is like Conference in England
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 01:28:50 PM »

Addae Rique currently plays with Tobago United.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »
my faves - 66-71  :cheers:
Gally, Archie, Sadaphal, Sheldon Gomes, Nancoo, Sheppy, Springer, Barrow,Bain,Husbands,Polydor, Rondon, Wayne Lewis, La bros

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2006, 02:18:57 PM »
Arima senior com. Denzel Garcia,Bien Trotman,Shawn Lee and meh self Jason Matson ;D     Mayaro Composite Collin Samuell and Wolfe.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2006, 02:40:44 PM »

Tallman, did'nt he use to play with w-connection and then left and come on a scholarship with some division 2 school in Florida?

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2006, 02:41:26 PM »
I've been watching SSFL from 94 - 02.
Went to school in the north but lived central/south so i saw both zones.

Tigers - Rahim, Edwards, Stewart, Rodriguez, Jermaine, Cooper, Clarence, Benito, Jones
Royalians - Elcock (death), Suite, Gaston, Campbell, Edwards
Compre - Glen, Johnson, Williams (GK)
Malick - Westfield Brothers, Tinto, Fabien garcia, Jorsling, Amstrong
Fatima - Sealy, Gibbons, Thomas, Aberdeen
Saints - Tiger, Cambridge, Zane, Camacho, Sealy, Nigee, Cabralis, Abraham Twins, Norman, Barret, Lee, Del Pino

Eldo - Abede, Kwame, Devin, Cupid, Manswell, Pamponette, O'Brien

Benedicts - Benjamin, Blacks, Spann, Hunte, Davis, Toussaint, Blackman, Jordan, Bristol, Ricardo(GK)
Naps - McKnight, Joseph, Forbes, De Leon, Fabien, Peters
P Town - Pacheco, Logan, Noriega, Samaroo, Moko,Sherwood, Lewis

Real good list them players suppose to be doin big tings right now....

I would add Trimm and the left footer Neeves and even George. from the tigers.. when all of them was on the team , it was death.
and Trinity really had Benito... yuh call more saints men than everybody so i guess yuh went CIC.

I happy tho yuh give Fatima Gibbons and Sealy cause thats where they start and not at the Tigers...

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2006, 02:55:15 PM »

Tallman, did'nt he use to play with w-connection and then left and come on a scholarship with some division 2 school in Florida?

I eh know if he ever played for W-Connection but he did attend Missouri Baptist University and then went to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville but then left after his junior year and went to play for the St. Louis Steamers in the MISL; then he suffered a hip injury.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2006, 03:59:43 PM »
I only saw the CFL in the 80 (1980-85). Was at the historic N. Zone intercol final between fatima and JOhn D back in 79.

Ronnie Simmons
Sean Ramdoo
Wayne Sheppard
Sean Roberts
Graeme Rodriguez
Downie the GK (in his first year..GREAT..in his second very medicore)These are all Fatima men.

Non Fatima....a QRC defender who make the national side with Simmons when both were still in From VI.

Colin Rocke...CIC
Leonson Lewis..naps
Clint Marcelle...Mucurapo
Dexter Sandy...QRC
Applwhite...a GK from QRC
Remy....St. Augustine
Garth Pollanais ...St. Aug.
Marvin Faustin ...Hutson Charles...both from Mucurapo..if I remember right.

There were also some good Indian keepers from St. Aug and Naps in those days...but just can't remember the names.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2006, 05:19:41 PM »
My last year for seeing CFL was in 1986 and without rehashing some of the men on the list I will call the big teams back then:
80's Osmond Downer Football Academy (Green Machine) - Grayee (Nickname is all dat is needed)
El Do Blue Thunder - Mouse (Bound to score)
Arima - Kerry Jamerson, Dexter Lee Truly special players
1985 T&T Under 19 Team Sando Tech - Latas and Faustin (ah have to call dem men again)
86 CIC - Kona Hislop

Ah realize many man on this board did not see these players in secondary school but they brought fear into yuh heart when yuh thought about going up against them.

From how men talk ah woulda like to see de Malick and St Anthony Teams.  Ah have ah breds does swear on Dwarika performance.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2006, 07:28:58 PM »

Tigers - Rahim, Edwards, Stewart, Rodriguez, Jermaine, Cooper, Clarence, Benito, Jones
Saints - Tiger, Cambridge, Zane, Camacho, Sealy, Nigee, Cabralis, Abraham Twins, Norman, Barret, Lee, Del Pino

Benedicts - Benjamin, Blacks, Spann, Hunte, Davis, Toussaint, Blackman, Jordan, Bristol, Ricardo(GK)

I would add Trimm and the left footer Neeves and even George. from the tigers.. when all of them was on the team , it was death.
and Trinity really had Benito... yuh call more saints men than everybody so i guess yuh went CIC.

I happy tho yuh give Fatima Gibbons and Sealy cause thats where they start and not at the Tigers...

But he give Rodriguez to St Athony's...If it's Dion Rodriguez he talkin' about- he started at Fatima too.....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2006, 07:35:42 PM »
Palos  dat is real solid names dey.But how come nobody call Tom Phillip de Tranquil boy who make the national team while still going Tranquil dat was Roderick Warner favorite son.
Also did any one player draw more crowd dan Ian Clauzel ? 10,000 for a league game against Fatima and 18,000 in ah North Intercol final against JohnD.Ah was'nt around for Sando Tech with Latapy,leoson and Faustin    
   And ah know is true de Mucurapo team was good with Dubbison and dem men but Clauzel drew de crowds.

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2006, 09:05:20 PM »

elcock
jorstling
glenn

them three was death

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2006, 10:00:19 PM »
Palos  dat is real solid names dey.But how come nobody call Tom Phillip de Tranquil boy who make the national team while still going Tranquil dat was Roderick Warner favorite son.
Also did any one player draw more crowd dan Ian Clauzel ? 10,000 for a league game against Fatima and 18,000 in ah North Intercol final against JohnD.Ah was'nt around for Sando Tech with Latapy,leoson and Faustin    
   And ah know is true de Mucurapo team was good with Dubbison and dem men but Clauzel drew de crowds.

Fuh real.  Winston "Tom" Phillip was one of he most dominant players in the history of Colleges League Football.  His exploits in Colleges League never quite translated the same way when he moved on to a higher level like POSFL or National team football, but he was a giant in schoolboy football in trute.

Great call dey royal!

As fuh Moose (Clauzel)....yeah he drew the crowds fuh real.  To the best of my knowledge, he was the first Colleges footballer with dreads.  Dat was jes a part of his attraction.  In addition, the senior secondary schools had just entered the colleges league...previously fairly dominated by the likes of CIC, QRC, & Fatima in the North and Pres and Naps in the South (I eh goin back to Benedicts days here).

The "roots players" (as the players with non traditional schools were referred to) would in thoise times play for Belmont and Tranquil and both teams were quite a force to be reckoned with.

But when Mucurapo especially burst on the scene....with Ian "Moose" Clauzel....de dread dribbler as de star of dey show...it was seen as a battle between de "common, little man" and de prestige schools.  Didn't matter that Garnet Craig for Fatima came from similarly humble beginnings as the likes of Caluzel....it was Fatima prestige bourgeoisee school against Mucurapo..the school of "everyman".

But Mucurapo was much more than Clauzel.  They had an array of players that to this day I believe was surpassed only by 5 colleges teams in T&T history for me.

The best of them by far was the extraordinary St Benedicts team of the 60's with De Leon. Archibald, David etc.

Den yuh had de all conquering Signal Hill teams....Yorke, Wendell Moore, Hutchinson, etc.

De Sando Tech teams wit Latas, Leonson and Faustin

Another Sando Tech team wit Leroy Spann, Peter Mitchell etc

And the all conquering St Anthony's team spearheaded by Kenwyne Jones

We have had many dominant colleges league teams like the same Mucurapo and they had Clauzel, Wendell "Tractor" Belgrave, Emerson Dubisson (a truly wonderful player), Eric and Denzil White and Clayton Morris

Den yuh had in dat same year....de outstanding John D team with Alan Peru Anderson, Garfield De Silva, John Castellano, Peter Loobie etc.

Prior to dat, yuh had de Belmont team of Brian Big Bird Bown and Gary Plucky Evelyn

De Tranquil team wit Carlyle Andrews (one a de most elegant defenders T&T produce), Tom Phillip and Keith Weekes

Yuh also had de Malick teams of Dwarika etc

De El Dorado team with Stern John

De Arima team with Kerry Jamerson and Mutty Haynes

De St Augustine team wit Garth POollonais, Jerren Nion etc

But for me....de top 4 are those I noted above.

Finally....there is one BIG BIG PLAYER I omitted from my list.  A player I feel to this day had he been called to the Strike Squad and played in tandem with a midfield of himself, David Nakhid / Kerry Jamerson, Russell Latapy, & Hutson Charles, we would have made our WC debut in Italy 1990 and not Germany 2006.

I am speaking of the one and only VERRON SKINNER from Trinity.  A COLOSSAL PLAYER!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 10:13:45 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2006, 10:03:29 PM »
Sheldon Bennette was my horse. I neva sw Brent. The 85 Sando Tech team with Latas and co.

I respected Shaka and Kona because they carry that CIC team
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2006, 11:16:34 PM »
Alyuh might cuss meh for this one, but as a Fatima man who wasn't big on SSFL I can only mention Fatima men from my generation-94 to 99

Oni Thomas
Aberdeen(N)
Steve Sealy
Daryl Roberts
Yohann Banfield

Any Fatima men who was dey might agree with me :-\

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2006, 11:17:11 PM »
YES DREAD !!!!! TOM PHILLIP was pure trouble one ah de best goal scorers ever in college ranks.He broke  his foot against Belmont in de intercol semis and had to watch Alvin Edwards(Clarke) 'Rabbi'Weeks,Rudy,
Patrick 'jappa' Federick,younger brother of speedy and deadly striker Steven'JAPPA' Federick from Belmont who play along side with Ron and Len La and Wayne Lewis.Tom sit down in de oval pavillion,with he foot in ah cast, an watch Trnquil give Presentation 5-0 in de island wide final.
In dah same oval against Barbados he attempt ah flick bout 4ft from de goal and miss and never play for TnT again,we lost de game.
But Tom was ah joy to watch, ah exciting player who use to destroy defenders at will...big big big player !!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 12:00:16 AM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2006, 11:52:17 PM »
CiC had ah ah goal scoring machine,de man use to score hattrick at will.. Luciano Woodley he wasn't no flashy dribbler but cudda put de ball in de back ah de net.Man like Frankie Stone and de Nancoo brothers and  Keith Lookloy in de back had cic dominating de league,they had ah bad keeper too,ah cyar remember he name right now(all yuh help meh nah,ah think is Lester or Nestor I eh sure) Belmont's Len La Forest slap one up in the V from bout 40yrds and he went for it, geh he fingertips on it but cuddn't keep it out and dey loss de final in de oval ...he cry like ah baby.
Speaking bout keepers Yashim Khan,from Tranquil  was also ah boss big big keeper,stop 2 ah Lucino Woodley penalties already.That same Tranquil team had ah Kaiser like defender and captain name Brian Rigbsy real smooth but de man from dah team that was one ah de sickest midfielders was Michael Whiley.Then later on yuh had man like Dereck Lewis and Chinnas from Trinity,keeper use to duck when Chinnas crank up.......
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 11:58:03 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2006, 07:57:39 AM »

I eh know if he ever played for W-Connection but he did attend Missouri Baptist University and then went to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville but then left after his junior year and went to play for the St. Louis Steamers in the MISL; then he suffered a hip injury.

Tallest, if this is the player you talking about, then yes....he did play with W-Connection for 2 season I think before having a HUGE fall out with boss John Williams and Stuart Charles. It was then that he went on the scholarship. While on the scholarship he won 2 conference titles which earned him trips to the NCAA tournament. He was also an All-American... In any event, he was a solid SSFL player.

Kingman
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 08:02:28 AM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2006, 09:06:41 AM »

But he give Rodriguez to St Athony's...If it's Dion Rodriguez he talkin' about- he started at Fatima too.....

The Rodriguez I was talking about was Marcus Rodriguez who played right wing for St. Anthony's.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2006, 09:08:59 AM »

The Rodriguez I was talking about was Marcus Rodriguez who played right wing for St. Anthony's.

cool scene  :beermug:
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2006, 10:09:48 AM »
My Favorite ssfl players. 

Mickey Trotman (Arima snr comp)
Arnold Dwarika (Malick)
Jerren Nixon (st Augustine)
Keston Wright (fatima / st augustine)
Dwight Yorke (signal hill)
sterling Smith (QRC)