November 16, 2018, 09:14:03 PM

Author Topic: Kennya Cordner Thread  (Read 12602 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Kennya Cordner Thread
« on: July 14, 2006, 09:50:38 AM »
Kennya Cordner joins WPSL's Northampton.[/size]

The Northampton Laurels FC of the world ranked Women's Premier Soccer League (WPSL) announced today the signing of Trinidad and Tobago International offensive sensation Kennya "Ya Ya" Cordner. The 2005 T&T female Footballer of the Year will join T&T striker/midfielder Maylee Attin-Johnson who is currently nursing a minor hamstring injury on the Laurels roster for the remainder of the teams' 2006 season. The Laurels are currently in 3rd place of the WPSL Eastern Conference - South Division with an eye on the Eastern Conference playoffs. "Kennya's signing does add needed offensive power to the Laurels roster, she is so talented with so much room for further growth" said Laurels co-owner and General Manager Tobagonian Andy R. Salandy. Cordner will feature this coming weekend when the Laurels play Maryland Pride on Saturday July 15th, and Adirondack Lynx on Sunday July 16th at the J. Birney Crum Stadium in Allentown, PA. The WPSL is the only stand alone national women's league in North America, with stars such as Brandi Chastain, Shannon Boxx and Brazilian sensation Sissi playing in the league. Apart from Maylee and Kennya T&T have another player who happens to be Tobagonian defender Lauren Wilson (South Carolina State - NCAA Division 1), Lauren is the niece of THA tourism minister Neil Wilson. For more info about the WPSL and its teams log onto WPSL.

Related News.

Kennya Cordner already on target.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:39:42 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kennya Cordner joins WPSL's Northampton Laurels.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 01:53:05 PM »
Congrats all the best darling, expecting great things of you.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 06:50:56 PM »
represent and get the most of d experience.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 06:51:59 PM »
Ah go love to meet Maylee Attin-Johnson, that girl sweet boy.... o gome....

Kennya Cordner is a boss striker....
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 06:56:40 PM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Soca Princess Kennya Cordner Earns WPSL Team of the Week Selection
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:36:25 AM »
EASTON, PA - For the second week in a row a Northampton Laurel have received a WPSL Team of the Week selection. In week 6, star midfield playmaker Maylee Attin-Johnson (Kennesaw State University/Trinidad & Tobago WNT) earned the selection, but it was her Trinidad & Tobago WNT team mate striker Kennya Cordner (Young Harris College) who made it onto the leagues elite list.

Cordner received the selection for her performances against East Conference Mid-Atlantic division rivals Real Shore FC and Philadelphia Liberty over the weekend. She led the Laurels with 3 goals and an assist in 2 games to propel the team to the top of their division, and in sight of another Eastern Conference playoff berth.

"Kennya is an explosive player, with exceptional abilities" said Laurels Head Coach [Trinidadian] Anthony Creece, "She is a proven competitor who isn't afraid to go at defenders, she may be a small player, but she has a ton of heart" Coach Creece said.

The Laurels will head to Uniondale, NY on Friday July 6th to meet last seasons'  WPSL National Champions Long Island Fury, the game is scheduled for a 5:30pm kick-off. View the WPSL week 7 TOTW list http://www.wpsl.info/news/index.php/?cat=1&id=256

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Princess Kennya Cordner Earns WPSL Team of the Week Selection
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 11:59:51 AM »
well done 'YaYa"...allyuh know she does suck she finger??....and i dont mean to make fun of it...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kennya Cordner Thread
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 02:24:03 PM »
Just an update on the Women's side.
Check out:
www.wpsl.info
www.northamptonlaurelsfc.com

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordner comes back to key Laurels' 2-0 win over Liberty
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:07:35 AM »
Cordner comes back to key Laurels' 2-0 win over Liberty
By Gary R. Blockus (The Morning Call)

For Kennya Cordner, the Northampton Laurels 2008 season ended almost as soon as it began.

Cordner, known as ''Ya Ya'' to her teammates, spent most of the summer playing for the Trinidad and Tobago Under-20 national and senior national teams.

She returned to the U.S. just 10 days ago, and tallied the first goal of the game as the Laurels broke a scoreless tie in the second half to defeat the Philadelphia Liberty 2-0 at J. Birney Crum Stadium.

''It was great just being back with this team,'' Cordner said. ''The girls played this team before and lost 1-0 ... We did our best and came out to win.''

The Laurels ended the season 4-7-1 with the upset win over Philadelphia, which eliminated the Liberty from playoff contention. Philadelphia (4-2-5) was tied for fourth heading into the night, and a win, with a few losses by other teams, could have caused the Liberty team to climb as high as second place, which would have been a playoff spot.

Cordner eliminated that hope about a third of the way into the second half. Melissa Kornock, the team's leading goal scorer, started the play with a run down the left wing. She made a nice through pass to Tracy Fitzpatrick on the nearside, who sent the ball wide toward Cordner on the right.

Liberty goalie Annie Loway played the cross like a shot, which took her out of position as Cordner gained possession and fired a crossing shot back into the left panel.

Kornock scored her sixth goal of the season in the 80th minute, taking a feed from Chelsea Paskman on the left before rocketing a shot to the far right corner.

''I think the girls came out with determination to win,'' Laurels coach Anthony Creece said.

Laurels goalie Caitlin Corrigan, a Pennridge High School graduate who stars at Moravian College, made seven saves, several of the outstanding variety.

''I think all the girls are looking forward to their college seasons now,'' Creece said, ''and I hope this will give them some momentum toward that goal.''

Stoners rained out: Once again, it rained on the Pennsylvania Stoners parade.

The Stoners, the first-year team that captured the regular season title in the North Division of the Northeast Region of the National Premier Soccer League, were poised for the first playoff game in their history when lightning forced a postponement.

The Stoners (8-1-1) were scheduled to play the New York Athletic Club on Sunday night at J. Birney Crum Stadium in Allentown, but lightning forced a delay in the contest before game officials called for a postponement just after 9:30 p.m.

No makeup date has been set.

NYAC (4-4-2) finished in second place in the Mid-Atlantic Division of the Northeast Region.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cordner comes back to key Laurels' 2-0 win over Liberty
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 09:42:07 AM »
She actually scored 4 goals in 5 games for the Laurels this season, including the game winner in 3. She also lead the Laurels U-23 to a USASA Region 1 semi-final berth.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Kennya Cordner Thread
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 03:42:26 AM »
Cordner heads for Australian trial.
By: Shari John (T&T Guardian).

National senior women’s footballer, Kennya Cordner left for Australia yesterday, where she will try out for four professional women’s football teams.

The petite striker has had a stellar year in national colours, finishing as T&T’s top-scorer in the Senior Caribbean Football Union final round qualifying tournament, the Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Games held in Venezuela and the most recently, the Concacaf World Cup qualifying tournament which was hosted in Cancun, Mexico.

The 22-year-old will be in Australia for six weeks on the invitation of the Football Federation of Australia (FFA).

If the trial is successful, Cordner will be given the opportunity to remain Down Under until the end of the Australian football season in February. Speaking just before her departure, Cordner said she is very confident.

“I have high hopes. I will be going with a mentality to make the team and not one to just go for a trial. I am going out there to give my all, not come back home after six weeks,” she said.

Cordner described the offer as an amazing opportunity. “This type of opportunity does not come around often, so I will try my best to make the most of it.”

Cordner explained that she has improved a lot this year, particularly since her brief stint at T&T’s Sweden based professional player, Ahkeela Mollon’s former club Kvårsveden IF last year.

Mollon now plays for Sweden’s top club Djurgården. “This is a much bigger deal than my stint in Sweden and this time around, I am much better tactically and physically.”

National Under-17 team manager, Janelle James, expressed her faith in the Tobago resident, explaining that she definitely has what it takes to make it as a professional player.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:47:48 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cordner heads for Australian trial.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 08:16:22 AM »
It's sad she never graduated from college. Hope she makes the best of this.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 08:18:39 AM »
Neither did Dwight ... I like her mentality I think she will do well .. goodluck and big up :beermug: :beermug:

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 08:20:52 AM »
Neither did Dwight ... I like her mentality I think she will do well .. goodluck and big up :beermug: :beermug:

Dwight had the opportunity to make millions, women don't.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 08:59:43 AM »

ENTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 09:28:45 AM »

ENTTTTTT

Yuh sure bout that?! Ah sure Dwight spend ah couple of his millions on them women!!  :devil:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 09:39:32 AM »

ENTTTTTT

Yuh sure bout that?! Ah sure Dwight spend ah couple of his millions on them women!!  :devil:

I sure she has d opportunity 2 make milllions herself but not likely on a football pitch kickin d ball
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »
TT shudda have bout 20 footballers playing in England and Scotland and making millions,after Dwight made it and to a lesser extent Latapy there should have been a steady flow of our players to England.Our boys are as good as anybody but something is wrong with our system,what a shame those yutes missing out on millions,I hope things can change.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 10:26:45 AM »
TT shudda have bout 20 footballers playing in England and Scotland and making millions,after Dwight made it and to a lesser extent Latapy there should have been a steady flow of our players to England.Our boys are as good as anybody but something is wrong with our system,what a shame those yutes missing out on millions,I hope things can change.
No we eh good...is ah chicken or egg scenario..is the system producing crap ballers or are crap ballers entering an already crappy system

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 10:43:30 AM »

ENTTTTTT

I sure she has d opportunity 2 make milllions herself but not likely on a football pitch kickin d ball

Marta makes aprox US $55,000 per month in wages and sponsorship deals. It is possible, but u have to be good, just like any man on a pitch, but its tougher. WPS in USA right now is the league with the paper, for now. Womens football relatively young, but its growing fast. For the average woman player, don't expect the millions yet.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:46:51 AM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 10:55:12 AM »
MEP,over the years we have produced ballers to take us to within 'a hairsbreadth' of 1974 WC but we got cheated out of that,we should have qualified for 90 Italy but Gally wasn't good enough to take us there,we qualified for 2006 with a virtual pure TT team apart from Birchall and if it wan't for all the problems internally we might have qualified for SA2010.We have been Caribbean Champs more than anyone so how you can say we produce crap,I think there are other problems and I hope we can identify them and fix it.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »
MEP,over the years we have produced ballers to take us to within 'a hairsbreadth' of 1974 WC but we got cheated out of that,we should have qualified for 90 Italy but Gally wasn't good enough to take us there,we qualified for 2006 with a virtual pure TT team apart from Birchall and if it wan't for all the problems internally we might have qualified for SA2010.We have been Caribbean Champs more than anyone so how you can say we produce crap,I think there are other problems and I hope we can identify them and fix it.

The system or lack thereof is the problem. We wait to see who is "de baller" in SSFL and then they move on to the PFL hopefully and then just draft them onto a NT. Where in all this is the TTFF? Does the TTFF give out mandate or guidelines to clubs as per player development?

-Does the TTFF provide avenues for players to gain access to higher level coaching at a younger age outside of making a NT?
-Do players have an idea of the process in being identified towards making a NT?
-Are players identified at a young age by the TTFF and their development monitored?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 04:29:55 PM »

She can always go to college on her own or get some grant to do so. Was she in college and never finished?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »

She can always go to college on her own or get some grant to do so. Was she in college and never finished?

She went to Young Harris College for at least two years.

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »

There is nothing wrong with the fact that Miss Cordner is putting her schooling on hold. The female professional is a different ball of wax compared to the mens. I see nothing wrong with playing professionally now and then going back and finishing off school. If its is feasible as far as her schedule goes online courses are an option. maybe she does not know what she wants to do in school (life) and is seizing the opportunity (again nothing wrong that) .. heck I am 47 and still have no idea what i want to do....lmfao... Anyways Miss Cordner (aka  Ya Ya), do yourself and all of your mates proud as we all are routing for your success.

Cheers  19

Offline trinipepper

• New Warrior
  • addin fire to the flame ...izatrini
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »
Success is the key... change in discipline is also good... try it you can reach a long way....I am proud of you, hope you make the team.. youre a good player, with the right guidance you can make it a long way...the usa and the english league has scouts and that is where the money is at for the women's game but its not an easy access... As you can see not many islanders are in that mix...Represent in the Australian League good to go...

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »

There is nothing wrong with the fact that Miss Cordner is putting her schooling on hold. The female professional is a different ball of wax compared to the mens. I see nothing wrong with playing professionally now and then going back and finishing off school. If its is feasible as far as her schedule goes online courses are an option. maybe she does not know what she wants to do in school (life) and is seizing the opportunity (again nothing wrong that) .. heck I am 47 and still have no idea what i want to do....lmfao... Anyways Miss Cordner (aka  Ya Ya), do yourself and all of your mates proud as we all are routing for your success.

Cheers  19
The truth is that this is the best option for her because she was academically inepth ...under prepared for college and although she spent 2 years there she could not go on to a 4 year school because of her grades and lack of credits to transfer...(there were a lot of colleges interested in her after she finished her eligibility at YHC). This is a serious issue and the people who handling these players need to have a better plan in place to make sure that these players are prepared to handle the academic demands of college.
(19...this is not a put down on the player nor an attempt to discredit her , but I won't be eloquent about such a serious matter)
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 03:13:05 PM »

Cheers  19
The truth is that this is the best option for her because she was academically inepth ...under prepared for college and although she spent 2 years there she could not go on to a 4 year school because of her grades and lack of credits to transfer...(there were a lot of colleges interested in her after she finished her eligibility at YHC). This is a serious issue and the people who handling these players need to have a better plan in place to make sure that these players are prepared to handle the academic demands of college.
(19...this is not a put down on the player nor an attempt to discredit her , but I won't be eloquent about such a serious matter)

I did not want to come out and say anything, but if she had focus a little more on academics she could have gone on. Is real colleges wanted her out of JUCO. Say what, at least she just ain't give up.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordner on trial with with Brisbane Roar Women
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 05:28:21 AM »
Cordner on trial with with Brisbane Roar Women
footballqueensland.com.au

The Brisbane Roar Women will host Trinidad & Tobago international, Kennya Cordner this week as the talented striker trials for a spot with a number of Westfield W-League clubs.

The 22-year-old already boasts an impressive resume having played for Trinidad & Tobago’s national team, nicknamed the ‘Soca Princesses’, since 2004 and scoring 32 goals for her country.

Kennya, nicknamed ‘Ya Ya’ was invited to Australia to trial with four of the Westfield W-League teams in the hopes of gaining a contract with one of the clubs, with Brisbane Roar the first of these trials.

If successful, this international stint won’t be the first for Cordner who attended Young Harris College in the States before playing in Sweden with Kvårnsveden IK in the country’s top women’s football league.

Arriving in Brisbane today ahead of her two-week trial with the Roar, Cordner was confident about her prospects of gaining a position in the Westfield W-League.

“I have high hopes. I’m going into it with a mentality to make the team and not one to just go for a trial.

“I am going out there to give it my all, and hopefully do enough to get picked up by a team,” she said.

“This type of opportunity does not come around often, so I will try my best to make the most of it”.

“This is a much bigger deal than my stint in Sweden and this time around, I am much better tactically and physically”.

Cordner will be watching closely this weekend when the Roar women take on Perth Glory with fellow striker and Roar stalwart Lana Harch in fine scoring form this season and the debut of Lisa De Vanna in orange last weekend, also vying for a starting spot up front.

See the Roar women in action against Perth Glory on Saturday, 27th November, kick-off 4pm at Perry Park, gates open one hour prior to kick-off.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 07:23:24 AM »
Brisbane Roars signs Cordner.
By: Shari John (Guardian).

T&T senior team forward, Kennya Cordner has signed a professional contract with top Australian women’s football club, Brisbane Roars.

Cordner spent the last two weeks on trial at the club and signed the contract on Saturday. The speedy striker debuted for the club on Monday in the Hyundai W-League, coming on in the 77th minute and managed to impress the fans according to match reports.

Cordner said it was exciting being able to play in a new environment and she hopes to become a better player at the end of her experience in Australia. “It feels great to be given an opportunity to play away from home because opportunities like this don’t come very often,” she said.

“The quality of football here (in Australia) is much higher than that of my previous encounters, apart from national duty, and I am sure it will improve my game.

This means a whole lot for my career because not only do I have the opportunity to become a better player, but set a standard be a role model for the younger players coming up. The 22-year-old will be in Australia until the end of the Australian women’s season in February.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
good!
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel