April 18, 2024, 09:03:26 PM

Author Topic: Kerron Clement: I love my country, but ...  (Read 18042 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Kerron Clement: I love my country, but ...
« on: March 17, 2005, 03:56:04 AM »
Kerron Clement: I love my country, but ...  :-\
Kwame Laurence klaurence@trinidadexpress.com.

Kerron Clement is not guilty of treason....
At last weekend's NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships, in Arkansas, the Trinidad and Tobago-born American athlete clocked 44.57 seconds to break Michael Johnson's 400 metres world indoor record. That performance has made the 19-year-old University of Florida (UF) student the talk of the town.
"Why has Clement chosen the US over T&T?" is the question on the lips of many, here in Trinidad and Tobago.
Clement has responded. The U.S. citizen says he loves the country of his birth, but had to make the choice that would allow him to maximise his potential, on the track.
"I still love my country. I would never say that I don't, because I do. But the U.S. has great athletes in every event, the hurdles, the 400, the 100 ... and I want to train with the best in the world.
"The trials in the US," he continued, "is like a simulation of the Olympics or the World Championships ... you get a feel of where you stand against world class athletes. The U.S. is where I'm going to be living, I guess, for the rest of my life. But I would like to come back home one day, and run on the track there."
Clement told the Express that reversing his decision to compete for the United States, and not T&T, in not an option.
"I gave up my T&T citizenship."
Clement said he was thrilled when he realised he had broken Johnson's world record.
"My initial thought was 'I've made history'. I was very, very overwhelmed. I was filled with excitement. I knew I could run under 45, but I didn't know I could break the world record. I was hoping to run a 44.90 ... I'm just very, very, very thankful. I want to thank God, my parents Gordian and Claudette Clement and my coach Mike Holloway ... and my high school coach as well, Michael Mosely."
Clement won the World Junior Championship men's 400m hurdles title, in a US uniform, in Grosseto, Italy, last year. In the final, he clocked a personal best 48.51 seconds. This season, Clement plans to dive under 48 seconds.
"Considering I broke the world record in the 400, I would have to say I'll be focusing on both the 400 and the 400 hurdles. But my specialty is the 400 hurdles. I came to the University of Florida to run the 400 hurdles, so I'll be focusing more on that event for the collegiate outdoor season and for the Worlds in Finland this summer. My goal is to run in the 47-range."
Clement said that breaking Kevin Young's 46.78 seconds 400m hurdles world record is not one of his short-term goals.
"A world record in the 400 hurdles? That's kind of pushing it. I'm just going to take one step at a time, and whatever happens happens. I won't say I'm going to break the record. I don't want to put any limitations on myself, nor do I want to disappoint myself."
Sponsorship offers have come Clement's way since his world record run, in Arkansas.
"There have been offers, but I'm waiting until I've finished my outdoor season to make a decision, and to sign with whichever company offers me the most."
But though he intends to sign with one of the sports equipment giants at the end of the collegiate outdoor season, the Petit Valley lad is still planning to complete his Business Administr-ation degree, at UF.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kerron Clement: I love my country, but ...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 06:14:32 AM »
De mere fact dat he give up he T&T citizenship, sends a loud and strong message. Mind you, he can reclaim his citizenship if he wants to. All de reasons he has listed fuh wanting tuh run fuh de US are lame.

He is not entirely tuh blame neither are his parents. In T&T, patriotism is not someting dat is encouraged or instillled into de people.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 06:28:54 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 09:51:07 AM »
This article raises the competing tension that some athletes encounter: at one spectrum theer is the innate sense of patriotism/ nationalism and even pride to compete for one's country; at the other end is the reality of economics, development, personal fulfilment, accessibility to resources.

On a larger sacle one could think of the  luring of our national athletes as a form of imprialism, exploitation, economic 'bullying' poorer nations are constantly seeing their athletes opting for the 'greener pastures' of nations who could buy/steal these athletes sense of heritage, national identity and pride for a nation of birth.

The need or desire to represent one's country is overshadowed by the wanton exploitation of these colleges which offer scholarships and monetry and other rewards  to the athletes. Soon the athlete feels compelled to repay to honour and to be at the mercy of the 'hands who feeds" The cry of "what has my contry doen for me should be replaced for what I can do fo rmy country."

The desire to escape the improvish background and the lack of  world class facilities cannot be denied but I do have a difficult time in seeing how a person could lose that sense of "HERITAGE" and Natitional identity.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:21:34 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 12:04:07 PM »
Tallman, dis is such a serious point.  My son had to say de pledge of allegiance out in de courtyard before dey went to class in de morning line by line.  He was not even six years old as yet when we was in California.  Some days, dey sang de anthem.  I didn't grow up so in T&T.  Some of the old timers in T&T said this was not the case in the older days.  Our National Anthem was recited often and everyone sang O' Trinidad.  How many people on dis forum even know dat song?  Yuh does see people walking around and talking and laughing when dey play we anthem in public venues.  Is sad to see.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 04:45:01 PM »
Tallman, dis is such a serious point.  My son had to say de pledge of allegiance out in de courtyard before dey went to class in de morning line by line.  He was not even six years old as yet when we was in California.  Some days, dey sang de anthem.  I didn't grow up so in T&T.  Some of the old timers in T&T said this was not the case in the older days.  Our National Anthem was recited often and everyone sang O' Trinidad.  How many people on dis forum even know dat song?  Yuh does see people walking around and talking and laughing when dey play we anthem in public venues.  Is sad to see.

Nah man i went newtown boys and right thorugh is pledge... anthem... motto, watchwords, the works right through. every monday morning for de least
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 02:59:54 AM »
Ah didn't realize Newtown did all dat.  Ah know allyuh didn't do Oh Trinidad. 

Allyuh had to recite or sing otherwise is licks in allyuh arse from Mr. Pollard and Mr. Marcelle.  None other than de Spalksman used to take afternoon lessons with Mr. Marcelle in de afternoons.  Dat's where I first met him.  Jokey from small was dat boy Anil.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 10:03:12 PM by Savannah boy »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
We looking for horn !
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 03:38:49 AM »
We looking for horn !
By: Anil Roberts - T&T Guardian.

We lost the bride the day before the wedding! When is love simply not enough? Long ago, it was felt that love could conquer all. Deep-rooted problems within a relationship could be overcome, suppressed, or covered up by the passions and emotions involved in love. Patriotism is the direct result of love. However, patriotism must be fuelled by mutual respect, avenues for advancement and appreciation.
Countless studies have shown that economic or financial problems have led to the break up of many a marriage. Some may argue that the absolute worst time to break up is the day before the wedding. The embarrassment to the groom may do irreparable harm to his self-esteem, emotional stability and outlook on life.
Conversely, a groom who suffers through this traumatic period, regroups and moves on, will be that much stronger due to this experience.
After a 17-year relationship, Trinidad and Tobago got “horned” by the USA. Just as we were about to consummate our union with Kerron Clement last year, a beautiful wealthy, appreciative, intelligent super model stole him away from us. This left us with egg on our face, contemplating the ingestion of gramoxone.
To make matters worse, just as we were becoming immune to the initial sting of the break-up, the “hornerman” receives another affirmation of Love, openly for the world to see.
Before the World Junior Championship last year in Grosseto, Italy, promising athlete Kerron Clement made the decision to forego his citizenship of T&T in favour of the USA. He then went on to win World Junior Championship Gold in the 400-metre hurdles in a personal best time of 48.51 seconds.
He immediately draped himself with the American flag and strutted proudly around the Olimpico Stadium, while we, at home in T&T were forced to view his success with mixed emotions. We were all happy for the young man, but were upset that the flag which he displayed to the world was not ours.
Less than one year later comes an even more painful reminder of what we lost. Kerron Clement, running for the University of Florida at the NCAA division one indoor Track and Field Championships in Arkansas, blazed around the track. He dismantled the field and destroyed the world indoor record of 44.63, set by the great Michael Johnson, way back in 1995 (when Kerron was only nine years old, and beginning to think about taking his Common Entrance Exam the following year) in a new world record time (subject to ratification by the IAAF) of 44.57 seconds.
To add salt to our gaping wound, we must realise that this event is not even his pet event. He is a 400 m hurdler. Therefore, possibilities now exist for a series of very rare double gold efforts for his adopted homeland.
How were we able to lose this promising young athlete on the cusp of super-stardom. Clement is quoted as saying, “I love the country of my birth, but had to make the choice that would maximise my potential on the track. I still love my country. I would never say that I don’t because I do. But the US has great athletes in every event…… and I want to train with the best in the world.”
This statement is a strong indictment on the state of track and field in this country. A country that has produced individual Olympic medallists such as Hasely Crawford, Ato Boldon and Macdonald Bailey.
The fact of the matter is that we simply ignore certain events because we do not have a history of international success in them. Even at our national championships we are unable to completely fill one heat in the 400m hurdles.
Many of the runners who take part simply do so because they believe that they have no chance in other more competitive events. They in no way believe that they were born hurdlers. The technique displayed by the athletes in this event is simply woeful. This is a direct result of a lack of emphasis on the part of coaches to attempt to develop genetically suited athletes in this “fringe” event.
There is and never has been any furore surrounding the winner of the 400m hurdles in T&T. There is no glory, there is no media attention, there is simply no recognition for athletes competing in these events, which include field events and long distance events. Though it must be said that Cleopatra Borel and Candace Scott are bringing some much needed attention to the throwing events.
How many people know that Cleavon Dillon jumped a wind assisted 8.09 metres as a junior?
The problem is further exacerbated by the absence of necessary equipment and facilities to train for these events. Hurdles are in shortage across the country. Four out of the five stadia have not been equipped with facilities for the field events.
Coaches are, therefore, forced to convert athletes who are better suited for these “specialty” events into competitors in the more traditional track events. There is also an element of laziness at work here. How many decathletes have we produced over the years?
The training for a decathlete is very complex, time-consuming and expensive. We, therefore, shy away from competing in this event rather than fighting to break barriers and force the administrators to take notice.
Other than the 100, 200 and 400-metre events, competition in T&T is non-existent. Pilar Mc Shine only gets a good race when the young Antiguan athlete Janil Williams comes to town. Pilar simply blows away the field at will and will have to venture overseas in search of competition.
Who is going to pay for these travels? Why do we place so much added pressure on parents to support their children, emotionally and financially, in preparation to bring glory to all of us? So do not be shocked when another promising athlete is forced into the open arms of the USA. As Shadow put it best, “We looking for horn!”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 03:23:27 PM »
everyday was anthem and pledge for we in primary school

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 02:51:33 PM »

Keron Clement
From the Trinidad Guardian
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 11:00:54 PM by dcs »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 01:07:58 PM »

Nah man i went newtown boys and right thorugh is pledge... anthem... motto, watchwords, the works right through. every monday morning for de least

This pledge thing is not country-wide though. I grew up in south and NEVER even knew T&T had ah pledge 'til my wife(from Diego) ask me bout saying de pledge.

We do need to find a way to insstill more patriotism in de youths and dem doh.

Clement coulda be like Ato and Crawfie,Lara et al, immortalized in ah Kaiso,  now he just go be another American Olympian who may or may not be remembered after a while.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 03:42:43 PM »
If you all knew what has come to light about the man, you would just let him go.  Trust me.  Let him go. Is ok.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 05:55:27 PM »
If you all knew what has come to light about the man, you would just let him go.  Trust me.  Let him go. Is ok.

Don't be like that Ato....spill the beans.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 12:04:04 AM »
I dont care if I had to train without shoes I would never want to represent anyone other than Trinidad and Tobago...

So I eh go support his desicion... plain and simple.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 08:28:35 AM »

Don't be like that Ato....spill the beans.

Sanya Richards (from Ja) moved to the USA at  about 13years of age she was suppose to run for JA in the world junior but changed her mind like clement . The question is has Kerron clement ever been back to TNT since he moved  plus he seem to be very americanized(i heard him talk)i know Sanya Richards is  but she give back JA. Recently at a meet there she donated spikes to the elementary school whcih she attended . let wait and see if Kerrin does the same thing?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 10:40:13 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 04:58:14 PM »

whappen...he's ah maccomereman or what? ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »

whappen...he's ah maccomereman or what? ;D

It seem so
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 08:39:22 PM »
Let it go nah oh gorsh u know ah cyar say. :rotfl:
BORN TO DO IT

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 01:52:50 PM »
ppl do wat dey have to do.

Merlene Ottey ran for Slovenia last Olympics ... after representing JA forever.
Milt Ottey, born in JA but raised in Canada represented Canada in for his entire career (high jumpiing).

Does that mean dey give up on their country of birth?  I do not think so.

Everybody have reasons an it easy to find fault when yuh looking in.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 04:38:34 PM »
I think the man made  a practical decision.

You know how many Trini athletes would love to be in his shoes.

Loving your country and not wanting to get screwed are two completely different things.

See Dazel Jules, Alvin Daniel, Desilva, Patrick Guy, Ruthwyn Purhtwie etc.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 05:17:43 PM »
I think the man made  a practical decision.

You know how many Trini athletes would love to be in his shoes.

Loving your country and not wanting to get screwed are two completely different things.

See Dazel Jules, Alvin Daniel, Desilva, Patrick Guy, Ruthwyn Purhtwie etc.

Peace,
VB

i kinda confused about yuh post..in what way is clement situation related to dazel, alvin,neil, patrick delice, robert guy, etc.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 06:08:30 PM »
same shyt dem tell me when i went fuh my citizenship

give up my passport

hahahahahah :rotfl:

meh foot

kerron yuh iz ah sellout dan

fire fuh u

yuh should be banned from ever eatin ah palau 4 de rest ah yuh life
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 07:03:58 PM »
Doh call men who never made it all the way as having been screwed by their country.  NONSENSE.  Not Daniel!  Who screwed Neil DeSilva?  He was picked on every team and either didn't make finals or got injured.  Ian Morris went thru that and more and made 2 consecutive 400m Olympic finals in the same event.  Hasley Crawford ring a bell?  He had it way worse. 

The only thing I can point to is the lack of funding, which many went thru, in all honesty. I am glad me cussing and carrying on changed that.  Who vex lorse.  Clement, obviously would not have had to deal with that, and while I have to respect a man's choice, whatever it is, it bothered me to hear him say in 2005 he "always wanted to run with the best - the USA." 

"Best at what?" is the question.  This week, they are the best at having their athletes test positive for testosterone.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 07:08:54 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 07:09:42 PM »
De mere fact dat he give up he T&T citizenship, sends a loud and strong message. Mind you, he can reclaim his citizenship if he wants to. All de reasons he has listed fuh wanting tuh run fuh de US are lame.

He is not entirely tuh blame neither are his parents. In T&T, patriotism is not someting dat is encouraged or instillled into de people.

The fact is that Hasley, Ato, Ed roberts, Mottley etc. all trained with the best. I love my country ????  which country ?
I say forget about this USA athlete who has made his choice. he prefers to be another us star rather than the biggest T&T star ....that´s his choice. he now has more potential money earning opportunities and more than 250 million people to support him. he does not need us and we certainly have no hold on him now.
After  dumping T&T he must take us for fools too !!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 08:37:34 PM »
I hope ppl forget about kerron clement..it is obvious he not on TNT so stop de fight down.  Local newspapers need to stop referring to him as Trinidad born Us athlete..he is American and leave it at that.

Guys like Alvin daniel, Patrick delice and neil de silva were not screwed.  They were affected by lack of money like any other athlete.  Alvin case was a lil worse because he was injury prone.  However there are numerous examples of athletes who weathered the storm and did their absolute best for our country.  The two most notable examples I personally know are long jumper Wendell Williams and quartermiler Ian Morris.  For example Wendell was an athlete who spent his own money to represent Trinidad because the local officials did not have money to pay for airfare yet ah million officials attending the games.

My point is support the people who love TNT and stop running down man who eh give ah shit.  Just because Kerron have some talent don't mean he is a good ambassador for our country.  Let him wear the red, white and blue...those colours look good on him.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »
I hope ppl forget about kerron clement..it is obvious he not on TNT so stop de fight down.  Local newspapers need to stop referring to him as Trinidad born Us athlete..he is American and leave it at that.

Guys like Alvin daniel, Patrick delice and neil de silva were not screwed.  They were affected by lack of money like any other athlete.  Alvin case was a lil worse because he was injury prone.  However there are numerous examples of athletes who weathered the storm and did their absolute best for our country.  The two most notable examples I personally know are long jumper Wendell Williams and quartermiler Ian Morris.  For example Wendell was an athlete who spent his own money to represent Trinidad because the local officials did not have money to pay for airfare yet ah million officials attending the games.

My point is support the people who love TNT and stop running down man who eh give ah shit.  Just because Kerron have some talent don't mean he is a good ambassador for our country.  Let him wear the red, white and blue...those colours look good on him.

AMEN brother ...especially the part about referring to him as the Trinidad born US athlete ... I  hate that !

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 07:25:34 PM »

Forged from the love of Liberty
In the fire of hope and prayer
with boundless faith in our destiny
we solemnly declare
Side by side we stand
Islands of the blue Caribbean sea
this our native land
we pledge our lives to thee
Here every creed and race find an equal place
and may God bless our nation
Here every creed and race find an equal place
and may God bless our nation

My daughter leave Trinidad 18 years ago and she could still sing it!!
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2006, 07:01:55 AM »

wuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Kerron Clement stewpsss...

"I love my country, but..."...........but WHAT?

Yeah, I love my girlfriend buh I bull ah next ting cuz she prettier, she go forgive meh right?

stewpsssssssssssssss.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 07:05:38 AM by Jefferz »

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2006, 03:39:01 PM »

Yeah, I love my girlfriend buh I bull ah next ting cuz she prettier, she go forgive meh right?

stewpsssssssssssssss.

y not jeffez? ah mean if yuh oman full of understandin den she wud know dat we as men can seperate de physical from de emotional. simple tings man  :)
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2006, 07:33:26 PM »

stewpsssssssssssssss.

y not jeffez? ah mean if yuh oman full of understandin den she wud know dat we as men can seperate de physical from de emotional. simple tings man  :)

hmmm prolly cuz shes meh gyul cuz ah doh want no body else physically.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 04:19:18 AM »
So no congrats ?

1]; } ?>