April 25, 2024, 02:57:57 PM

Author Topic: Stadium work forces off CFU U16 football opening.  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Stadium work forces off CFU U16 football opening.
« on: August 08, 2006, 07:52:11 PM »
Stadium work forces off CFU U16 opener.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

The opening of the 2006 Caribbean Football Union Under 16 Youth Cup faces the possibility of being pushed back from August 14 due to the late unavailability of the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
Originally, an opening ceremony for the 28-nation tournament and an opening fixture between this country and Aruba was carded but CFU President Jack Warner learnt on Sunday from the Stadium officials that the venue was now unavailable despite the fact that the application for use on that day was made since January this year.
“I am mortified to discover that, as of yesterday, the playfield was not in the required state of readiness and worse, it will not achieve that condition in time for the opening event on August 14th, 2006,” a concerned Warner wrote in a letter to Roger Boynes, Minister of Sport on Monday.
“Quite apart from having to undertake the complex and time-consuming task of reshuffling our fixtures matrix at cripplingly short notice, Trinidad and Tobago is now faced with the ignominy of having to apologise to officials and teams of participating countries; conjuring up reasons why our flagship facility will not be available until the semi-final stage of competition.
“This situation is both unbelievable and unacceptable, rendered more so by coming on the heels of such noble and public promises on the part of your Ministry and the Government about partnering in the process of developing football, with a view to conquering the various challenges facing us en route to South Africa 2010.
“We are nonplussed by the schedule stadium management approved for re-grassing a 20-foot wide swath on the eastern side of the field, which simply cannot be fast-tracked. To the uninformed observer, that decision reeks of disdain for the Under-16 tournament, almost as if the Caribbean Youth Football Cup either didn't exist or had been postponed to later in the year. It is hardly the message we wish to send to our youth at large and, on the local level, several hopefuls for our next World Cup Team.”
While the CFU awaits a formal response, the tournament’s marketing committee is in the process of shifting the opening match to another venue, possible the Larry Gomes Stadium but without an opening ceremony which had already been specially choreographed to mark the appearance of the various nations including Mexico, Guatemala, Canada, Panama and El Salvador.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: Stadium work forces off CFU U16 football opening.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 08:17:25 PM »
and the same old  :bs: continues ...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 08:25:54 PM »
two words

SOCA MONARCH
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 08:53:46 PM »
buh wait didn dey have games there after soca monarch and followed by welcome back for the team? i'm sure at that point some one of the organizers couldah see that the surface was in need of repair and couldah make so other plans...but that 2 ez.ENT!

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 05:33:30 AM »
I watching the highlights of the PFL games and ALL the pitches in a mess. And is rainy season so I really doh understand how hard it is to get some grass to grow back. Is it hat we have PFL games and then super league games playing in the same stadium so it have no rest to ''catch'' back between matches?

I for one remember how when I was in college my teammates used to complain about a lil piece of uncut grass or the ball not rolling smoothly on fields that look immaculate to me. So I coudl only imagine what them youths from Mexico, canada and the States probly saying when they come out for this CFU tournament. (well actually more like what their coaches and parents saying about how their child will get injured because the ground bumpy and patchy)
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>