April 25, 2024, 08:17:46 PM

Author Topic: Jabloteh unimpressive. Hot striker Wolfe struggles.  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jabloteh unimpressive. Hot striker Wolfe struggles.
« on: August 14, 2006, 05:12:17 AM »
Jabloteh unimpressive. Hot striker Wolfe struggles.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).
[/size]

It seems Anthony Wolfe forgot to return with something important from his recent trip to Japan on national duty with the Trinidad and Tobago senior football team - his scoring touch. Just over two weeks ago, Wolfe left for Japan as the 'hot' striker in the local professional football league, scoring 12 goals in 15 matches, his last coming in a 1-1 draw with W Connection at the end of July.
But on his return to action for Jabloteh on Saturday against Starworld Strikers, Wolfe's sharpness abandoned him. From four clear chances, the Sangre Grande-based striker had nothing to show except maybe a slightly embarrassed look on his face. Still, it was Wolfe's pace, coupled with a rash moment from Dexter Franklin, Starworld's rasta-haired stopper, which provided the defining moment of an otherwise dull match.
Penalty!! Wolfe, was outpacing Franklin at the time, when an unconcerned shove earned the Starworld defender an early trip to the showers and also brought about the elusive goal which Jabloteh struggled to find themselves.
From the spot-kick, midfielder Kerry Baptiste drilled his shot high over Marvin Phillip's head in the 81st minute, giving Jabloteh the only goal of a dull game and temporarily placing them back in top position of the T&T Pro League.
Still, Terry Fenwick, Jabloteh's English coach, must surely have anticipated more than a 1-0 victory when fielding his strongest team in four matches against a Starworld Strikers team humbled 5-1 by Defence Force recently.
Jabloteh had backed their seven 'stars' who were on national duty in Japan, but got little inspiration came from the bunch who included Wolfe, Aurtis Whitley, Cyd Gray, Keyeno Thomas, Kerry Baptiste, Trent Noel and goalkeeper Daurance Williams. The exception was left wing-back Cyd Gray who did provided his usual hustle and bustle up the Starworld Strikers right flank.
But Gray is best known for winning the ball, not scoring goals. However, he did produce a powerful angled shot which Phillip held comfortably, and later re-directed a cross from Nigel Daniel across the face of Starworld's goal.
However, it was Wolfe's lack of production that was most evident on the night. Phillip must have bet he was going to be scored upon when Wolfe cut inside his marker half hour into the match and lined up his shot. But with keeper Phillip scrambling, Wolfe drilled his shot wide.
Seven minutes later, Wolfe had another excellent opportunity to score. Under pressure from Whitley, Franklin failed to head away a cross towards goal, giving Wolfe a clear shot at goalkeeper Phillip. Wolfe volleyed, but again his effort went wide. Even so, it looked as if Wolfe must score when outpacing Starworld's defenders and picking up a through ball near the end of the first half. However, this time, Phillip raced out of goal and stopped Wolfe's low shot with his legs.
Starworld for the most part barely looked dangerous, although skipper Marc Borde's skimming shot created a fleeting moment of panic as it whizzed just past the foot of Jabloteh's goal. Substitute Jamaal Ayres also had a couple half chance, but also lacked the composure to trouble Jabloteh's goal.
Finally, Wolfe's afternoon of bad shooting day was completed when he collected another through pass in the 89th minute, but found the body of goalkeeper Phillip in the way. However, by the time Wolfe missed his fourth, T&T's national coach Wim Rijsbergen had seen enough and had already left the stands from which he and his Dutch assistant were looking on.
Jadeosingh most outstanding in June/July.
By: Joel Villafana.

San Juan Jabloteh’s Terry Fenwick was voted ‘Coach of the Month (June/July), while Caledonia AIA Fire’s Kendall Jagdeosingh  was voted ‘Player of the Month (June/July). This is Terry Fenwick’s 2nd straight award for coach of the month.
Jabloteh currently lie 3rd on the standings just two points off the leaders Joe Public, but during the period June 3rd to July 29th Jabloteh led the table for the most part and gained the most points. Caledonia’s Kendall Jagdeosingh has scored 6 goals so far netting four (4) during the month of June and July—his good form also saw him receive his first ever national senior call up and he made the trip to Japan with the ‘Soca Warriors’ and came on as a second half substitute in the game against the Japanese. Jagdeosingh edged out Jabloteh’s Anthony.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 10:35:55 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

TrinInfinite

It is great to see Wim watching and analyzing Pro League Games!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 09:10:36 AM »
I like the fact that Wim is in Trinidad watching the pro league games and seeing what our locals are doing. He is their and will see all of our locals, I think this is an advantage to us bc we dont have people recommending only, he can see our players and make a judgement with his own two eyes instead. I hope he attends all matches and gets an assesment of all the teams, also joe public is on top, so I would hope he takes in their games also, instead of just jabloteh games, we need the other players to make the national team also that are performing on the other teams, I find too many jabloteh players are making the team and other players are being left off.

All in all I am happy Wim is in trinidad, I hope he is there year round and stays the entire month to evaluate the players and teams, in prep for mexico. :beermug:

vibes it up

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: It is great to see Wim watching and analyzing Pro League Games!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 09:16:24 AM »
I like the fact that Wim is in Trinidad watching the pro league games and seeing what our locals are doing. He is their and will see all of our locals, I think this is an advantage to us bc we dont have people recommending only, he can see our players and make a judgement with his own two eyes instead. I hope he attends all matches and gets an assesment of all the teams, also joe public is on top, so I would hope he takes in their games also, instead of just jabloteh games, we need the other players to make the national team also that are performing on the other teams, I find too many jabloteh players are making the team and other players are being left off.

All in all I am happy Wim is in trinidad, I hope he is there year round and stays the entire month to evaluate the players and teams, in prep for mexico. :beermug:

vibes it up

FIRST TIME I AGREE WIT ONE A UR POST IN A WHILE

yea man whip i hope u give everyteam in d pro league get a good look from whim and his staff

now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

TrinInfinite

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 09:21:52 AM »

vibes it up

FIRST TIME I AGREE WIT ONE A UR POST IN A WHILE

yea man whip i hope u give everyteam in d pro league get a good look from whim and his staff

ah know yuh sour about the stern thread bredda  ;D small ting, de whip will do well bc he is more involved in the football than beenhakker, whip taking the iniative to stay and watch de local ball :beermug:

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:29:55 AM »
Good post. Let him find some new , young talent himself.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 10:17:58 AM »
Watching is ah start; working with them players is the next step.

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=19905.0

1]; } ?>