April 20, 2024, 05:57:17 AM

Author Topic: English Premier League (EPL) Thread  (Read 258414 times)

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2013/14 English Premier League Thread.
« Reply #1320 on: December 28, 2013, 11:45:41 AM »
Why Tottenham didn't bring Chris Hughton back? Anyone know if they consider him?

Bring him back to ensure relegation????

Malky Makay should have been given at least a season he had the right plan and right ideas but a Tun Tun for an owner

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: December 28, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »
Why Tottenham didn't bring Chris Hughton back? Anyone know if they consider him?

Malky Makay should have been given at least a season he had the right plan and right ideas but a Tun Tun for an owner

Makay might end up at West Brom before long.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: December 28, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »

Nah, With the quality of players at Tottenham, I am sure he will prosper. Looking at Norwich against Man United this morning, it's amazing what he can do with that bunch of laborers. Norwich build up and creativity to enter the penalty area was superb. They even forced Man united to settle for arbitrary crosses into the box.

Really like this guy. Reminds me of Martinez.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: January 06, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
This AVB sacking did not rest on man management issues.

I don't think anyone said it did.  there is the possiblity however, that it may have played an inderect role as it would have the consequence of affecting team performance.  Despite that high defensive line he loves and how it exposes the defense, the lack of scoring was glaring.

:rotfl: You certainly spent some opinion dangling on that speculative ledge.

Well his interpersonal skills and general man management off the pitch is questionable.  At Chelsea he polarized himself by ostracizing Nico who was one of the players everyone on the team loved as well as Alex even banning them from attending the Christmas party.  After that his fate was sealed because not only was his tactics not suited to the personnel on the pitch but he was a total asshole off it.  This ensured that the players would not give their all for him which naturally affects results.  Don't know what happened at Spurs but I find it hard to understand their poor play and goal ratio.  I doh ever feel sorry fuh millionaires that get fired nah lol.  He will get another job at lower level clubs for sure if he decide to take it, but that big club scenes dead now.  He might be on the shelf like DiMateo for a bit.  Imagine if they offer DiMateo the job and he rights the ship (for a second time).  Not only would that give RDM much more credibility and clout to attract big jobs but it would totally relegate AVB to the role of posturer and would likely destroy whatever shred of benefit his time at Porto helped to achieve.

There has been a lot of discussion in England on AVB's sacking ... and several parties at the center of AVB's coaching hierarchy attest to there having being a prominent level of harmony in the squad. The disgruntled exception mentioned being a Togolese baller named Emmanuel Adebayor. His contribution didn't rise to an untenable level of creating dressing room chaos.

Spot on regarding there being a tactical/results concern. Some have stated that even a less polarizing loss would have kept him in the job.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:25:33 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 06, 2014, 03:55:35 PM »
asy why yuh ignore the most key sentence fella? "Don't know what happened at Spurs but I find it hard to understand their poor play and goal ratio."

This whole scenes rell funny because despite the (-1) attrotious goal differential they are only 2 points removed from a champions league spot.  Outside of that they aren't in a bad position and was not in any real jeapordy of not being able to compete for a top 4 finish at the time of AVBs dismissal.  Levy is ah asshole doh so I hope they sink to about 9th place so they doh even get Europa as a consolation lol

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: January 06, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
asy why yuh ignore the most key sentence fella? "Don't know what happened at Spurs but I find it hard to understand their poor play and goal ratio."

This whole scenes rell funny because despite the (-1) attrotious goal differential they are only 2 points removed from a champions league spot.  Outside of that they aren't in a bad position and was not in any real jeapordy of not being able to compete for a top 4 finish at the time of AVBs dismissal.  Levy is ah asshole doh so I hope they sink to about 9th place so they doh even get Europa as a consolation lol

Pardna, I eh ignore nutten.:beermug: Like yuh eh make out that sentence is highlighted in my post. And, I highlighted it in its entirety because it pointed back to you musing about man management and personnel discontent as a contributing factor to "their poor play and goal ratio".

Detaching or underlining the phrase isn't gehhin to what you were communicating in full.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:04:45 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 07, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »

Pardna, I eh ignore nutten.:beermug: Like yuh eh make out that sentence is highlighted in my post. And, I highlighted it in its entirety because it pointed back to you musing about man management and personnel discontent as a contributing factor to "their poor play and goal ratio".

Detaching or underlining the phrase isn't gehhin to what you were communicating in full.

Nah I was talking about what happened while he was with my team.  That is why I concluded that by saying "don't know....."  And I didn't connect it to Spurs because had I wanted to do that my statement would have more likely been "I sure is dat wha causing their poor play and goal ratio."  Instead I elected to show that it is confusing to me why it was happening there.  You can infer a direct connection but my wording completely negates that thought. 

Meh 5 year Jr. Sec education (as some disrespectful suckas here does class St. Anthony's) does come een handy from time to time lol

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: January 07, 2014, 12:00:28 PM »
Yuh couldna gone to school wid Dutty.  :devil:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Who needs a striker?
« Reply #1328 on: January 07, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: January 09, 2014, 12:47:31 AM »
Someone's up late writing Big Sam's resignation.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: January 12, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »
Roberto Martinez ..........Everton playin some nice ball, and showin dey self to be contenders dis season..............seems like he finally found a good fit after Swansea .........to come from fightin relegation one season with one side to being in contention for a CL spot or even challengin for d prem is a hell of a feet............incredible  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

edit: makes one wonder even harder bout moyes though
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:21:37 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: January 12, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »
Roberto Martinez ..........Everton playin some nice ball, and showin dey self to be contenders dis season..............seems like he finally found a good fit after Swansea .........to come from fightin relegation one season with one side to being in contention for a CL spot or even challengin for d prem is a hell of a feet............incredible  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

edit: makes one wonder even harder bout moyes though

How does that make one wonder about Moyes?  Did Moyes have Lukaku scoring goals for him last season?  James McCarthy solidifying the defense (14th starts so far) Gareth Barry bossing the midfield (15 starts so far)?  A threatening wing player like Deulofeu?

All credit to Martinez, he's more of an attack-minded manager, but it's never as simple as comparing last season's performances against this (true for both Everton and United).  Martinez has the right players to fit his system, but without Lukaku on loan their next highest scorer is Seamus Coleman in defense.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 12, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »
nah bakes mih point is..................while everton held their own through moyes 11 or so years they were never really "up there" and even if yuh want to argue personnel, moyes had freedom to build he team same way.
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: January 12, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »
nah bakes mih point is..................while everton held their own through moyes 11 or so years they were never really "up there" and even if yuh want to argue personnel, moyes had freedom to build he team same way.

How could your point be about them never really being "up there" when is Moyes yuh specifically talking about?  That is a veiled, if not direct shot at his achievements compared to Martinez'.  As for him having the "freedom to build he team same way," where you get that from?  Allyuh now start to watch Everton or what?  Moyes was always working with little, yuh can't have freedom to build if yuh doh have money to buy.  Here's Everton's gross outlay in the transfer market the last five years under Moyes:

2008/09- €25.076.000
2009/10- €23.300.000
2010/11- €1.700.000
2011/12- €7.200.000
2012/13- €21.650.000

This season under Martinez they've already spent €31.800.000, and that's just half a season, not counting any activity to come here in January.

So in one summer they've spent more money for Martinez than they've spent in the last 5 years under Moyes.  I always like to read these criticism of Moyes, it just shows how unfamiliar people are with the job he did keeping Everton competitive against stacked odds.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: January 12, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »
Martinez is a boss.   I hope some of that acumen rubs off on our boy DL.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: January 12, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »

How could your point be about them never really being "up there" when is Moyes yuh specifically talking about?  That is a veiled, if not direct shot at his achievements compared to Martinez'.  As for him having the "freedom to build he team same way," where you get that from?  Allyuh now start to watch Everton or what?  Moyes was always working with little, yuh can't have freedom to build if yuh doh have money to buy.  Here's Everton's gross outlay in the transfer market the last five years under Moyes:

2008/09- €25.076.000
2009/10- €23.300.000
2010/11- €1.700.000
2011/12- €7.200.000
2012/13- €21.650.000

This season under Martinez they've already spent €31.800.000, and that's just half a season, not counting any activity to come here in January.

So in one summer they've spent more money for Martinez than they've spent in the last 5 years under Moyes.  I always like to read these criticism of Moyes, it just shows how unfamiliar people are with the job he did keeping Everton competitive against stacked odds.

ok.....so....everton has new owners\investors then, that came in after moyes and giving martinez more resources ??? ......and I am not trying to belittle d man achievements but the difference is amazing....really really amazing
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: January 12, 2014, 07:49:09 PM »
ok.....so....everton has new owners\investors then, that came in after moyes and giving martinez more resources ??? ......and I am not trying to belittle d man achievements but the difference is amazing....really really amazing

Same owners... they just wasn't serious about spending money to improve the club.  These jokers thought getting Donovan was a coup.  I have tremendous respect for Moyes, separate from anything he's doing at United.  The man is a good tactical manager, but he knew he never had the horses for a title run, so he relied on a solide defense and a cautious approach in attack.  He still hasn't abandoned that policy, maybe due to personality... maybe because he recognizes the lack of quality in the squad.  I dunno, I'll leave that to those who have expertise in dem kinda things.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: January 12, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »

Same owners... they just wasn't serious about spending money to improve the club.  These jokers thought getting Donovan was a coup.  I have tremendous respect for Moyes, separate from anything he's doing at United.  The man is a good tactical manager, but he knew he never had the horses for a title run, so he relied on a solide defense and a cautious approach in attack.  He still hasn't abandoned that policy, maybe due to personality... maybe because he recognizes the lack of quality in the squad.  I dunno, I'll leave that to those who have expertise in dem kinda things.

ah ok cool............tanks for the info........maybe we'll see what he really has once he builds his own team at Man U
I pity the fool....

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: January 18, 2014, 08:19:23 AM »
This Sunderland - Southampton game turned into a good contest.
Gotta love the relegation threat to up the intensity of a match.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: January 18, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »
I think Moyes is quite limited sadly; I'd love him to succeed, but it proves the cautionary tale about letting managers picking their own successors - being a Grand National-winning horse doesn't qualify you to design tracks.

Big clubs seem to need either bigger egos than the players or strict discipline, so that the manager remains the top-dog in the dressing room. Not sure Moyes has either.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: January 18, 2014, 08:31:42 AM »
How does Wes Brown not even get a foul call against him on that tackle?
That was a yellow card for sure.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: January 18, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »
Did anyone see Cardiff equalizer today and city 4th goal?

Quality.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: January 30, 2014, 06:41:10 AM »
Revealed! PL’s Top 10 highest paid players: Rooney's new deal to make him no.1?

http://talksport.com/football/revealed-pls-top-10-highest-paid-players-rooneys-new-deal-make-him-no1-14012877518

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: January 30, 2014, 12:20:20 PM »

http://talksport.com/football/revealed-pls-top-10-highest-paid-players-rooneys-new-deal-make-him-no1-14012877518

How much of that money do they actually get or are those numbers only taxable?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: January 30, 2014, 12:27:44 PM »

Usually, it's 50% tax, but there are ways to mitigate some of the tax bills.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Swansea have decided to fire manager Michael Laudrup
« Reply #1345 on: February 04, 2014, 02:02:09 PM »
Swansea have decided to fire manager Michael Laudrup
Sky Sports

Manager Michael Laudrup has been sacked by Swansea after defeat to West Ham on Saturday left the club just two points clear of the drop zone.

A club statement read: "Swansea City and manager Michael Laudrup have tonight parted company.

"Garry Monk will take up the reigns as head coach alongside current first team coach Alan Curtis for the foreseeable future.

"The club will be making no further comment at this stage, but will endeavour to keep our supporters updated with any future development."

Chairman Huw Jenkins added: "It is a decision we have taken reluctantly.

"But it's a decision made in the best interests of Swansea City Football Club and our supporters. It is the first time in nearly 10 years that the club has parted with a manager in this way, but we had to remove the constant uncertainty surrounding the club and Michael's long-term future with us.

"I had a meeting with Michael today in a final attempt to support him and establish a way to improve the work of the backroom team to secure the results we need over the final 14 Premier League games.

"However, after thinking long and hard about the best way forward, I felt it was unlikely we would achieve a stable environment at the club to allow us to get back to basics and produce the performance levels that have served Swansea City so well over the last few years.

"Now we need to put that uncertainty behind us and move forward as a united football club on all fronts, while placing on record our gratitude to Michael for the work he has done over the last 18 months and wish him well for the future.''

"I hope all our supporters can fully understand how difficult this period has been for us and I would urge everyone connected to the football club to get behind Garry Monk, the staff and players.''

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: February 04, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »

A lot is made up of "Image Rights" etc., although it puts them in the 50% tax bracket the reality is somewhat different as most will be Ltd companies and won't pay anything like that with various other ways of dodging tax, sorry meant to say reducing tax bill.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: February 04, 2014, 07:07:57 PM »
Sacking Laudrup is craziness.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: February 05, 2014, 03:15:11 AM »

Agreed, he looked the business...

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: February 05, 2014, 08:15:58 AM »

Apparently he and the board fell out before the season started. I don't think it is a performance issue. Man 5 best players injured. There must be recognition of that.
Victoria concordia crescit

1]; } ?>