April 19, 2024, 12:00:01 PM

Author Topic: Brown joins Powell camp.  (Read 6728 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brown joins Powell camp.
« on: August 27, 2006, 08:57:45 AM »
Brown joins Powell camp.
Coaches form strategic alliance.

Kwame Laurence (Express).

Trinidad and Tobago sprinter Darrel Brown has joined the Jamaica-based MVP Track Club, and will train with 100 metres world record holder Asafa Powell.

Henry Rolle, who coached Brown to World Championship 100m silver back in 2003, told the Sunday Express he is confident the decision to switch the 21-year-old track star's training base from Auburn, Alabama to Kingston, Jamaica is the best one.

"I was asked to work with Darrel, and I told him I would guide him to a point where I felt I could not take him any further, and then I would send him to the place that is best for him.

"I don't have an ego," the Bahamian coach continued, "and regardless of public perception, I know when I can';t reach an individual."

Rolle will continue to coach Brown's close friend and compatriot, Marc Burns.

"I still feel I can reach Marc. He has had ups and downs this year, but that's because he had a personal situation that affected him. But that's now behind him, and next year Marc will be back on track."

Rolle, who is employed full-time by Auburn University, has enjoyed a successful career, coaching 12 Olympians, five World Championship medallists and nine Commonwealth Games medallists. He also had the satisfaction, this year, of seeing his charges capture the NCAA Outdoor Championship women's team title.

Rolle said that while many top coaches were keen to work with Brown, MVP's Jamaican coach Stephen Francis is the one he believes can help the T&T sprint star maximise his potential.

"I know Francis and I have full respect for him. He and (another Jamaican) Glen Mills are the only coaches I felt comfortable with. Francis has a contract to work exclusively with Nike athletes, and since Darrel is contracted to Nike, Francis was the obvious choice.

"And I know Francis as a person," the Auburn University coach continued, "and I believe he runs a clean slate."

Rolle said he will be working very closely with Francis in the future.

"Francis will act as an advisor from now on. He will help me. And when I can't travel to meets, all my athletes will be taken care of. You need people in your corner you can trust."

Rolle was Brown's coach when he set the 100m world junior record of 10.01 seconds, in 2003.

Before leaving Trinidad to work with Rolle, Brown was coached by the late Nestor "Tom" Brown, at Phoenix Athletic Club.

"Tom did a great job with Darrel," Rolle declared. "Many times I wished he were alive and I could have called on him. If he were alive after Darrel turned pro, I would have highly recommended that Darrel return home. Francis and Mills have proved that you can do it outside of the USA."

Rolle said he is satisfied with the progress made by both Brown and Burns while in his charge.

"Regardless of what I have and have not accomplished, I feel good. Both are better than when they first came. If I have not put them in a better situation, helping them to be better young men and role models, then I have failed completely. I feel I have put them in a better situation.

"I want to thank those in the NAAA and the media in Trinidad and Tobago," Rolle continued, "who supported me. And I also want to thank those who didn't."

Both Brown and Burns will have new management next season. They have both been managed by John Regis, at Stellar Athletics, but will not renew their Stellar contracts.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 09:59:19 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brown joins Powell camp
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 10:28:48 AM »
but burns did not make the switch wha kind ah slackness is that
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 11:34:13 AM »
Well, it's out now... I am surprised that Burns isn't going too....but its the adidas vs nike thing....Nike is making sure their contracted coaches only coach NIKE athletes, and Burns is adidas.  Not training together may be good, it may not.  Being next to Asafa every day has to help.  I hope he can handle being in Jamaica.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 02:18:10 PM »
Well, it's out now... I am surprised that Burns isn't going too....but its the adidas vs nike thing....Nike is making sure their contracted coaches only coach NIKE athletes, and Burns is adidas.  Not training together may be good, it may not.  Being next to Asafa every day has to help.  I hope he can handle being in Jamaica.

oh well as juniors they were training apart so it should be good but i think burns should move ... Ato greene is gone from SMITH  camp so encourage burns to move there. Who coaches alyson felix or lauryn williams ? he should move to their camp

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 02:32:04 PM »

it is just like trinidad ah hear

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 12:09:43 AM »
The joke is that I told my manager months ago that Burns and Brown were a package and would go to MVP together.  Looks not to be so, now.  My coach has been high on Burns since he was a juniour.  If only that he would learn to start properly I would want him to go to LA, but Maurice is still there, just injured this year (makes no diff anyhow, he won't be around long, and is no longer a factor).  The best starter in the world is in that camp as well now - WORLD INDOOR CHAMP Leonard Scott, and also new American record holder at 110 HH, Dominique Arnold.

LA ent for everyone though.  Very high cost of living and lots to get caught up in - wine women and song-wise.  Alabama is a lot "closer" to TnT for someone who has never lived out of Trinidad (which he has not).

I hear Jamaica is way worse than living here, but I don't know personally.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 03:57:06 AM »
Ato,

I dont know, as its years since I left Jam, but I imagine its more different than worse.

Food is different and petty crime may be worse. However, kidnapping etc, is almost non-existent and he will probably have an experience similar to a UWI student.

Trinis tend to be well treated in Jamaica, so there is no problem there.

The good part is that he may have less distractions, though Kingston is NOT  a small city and it is possible for him to still get caught up in the w(h)ine and dining life there like Bolt.

However, knowing Franno, it will NOT be permitted.

In any case, he will be there only half a year, as the rest will be in Italy at their Euro base and on the circuit, and he will be home plenty times for holidays.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 09:29:43 PM »
Ato brown & burns has remained stagnant for the last 2 years they  should be running 9.8's by now.........I wonder how good he will get under franco........ Imagine if brown was fit at the 2004 olympics would he have won gold?

Offline Tillamawnin

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 06:44:27 PM »

it is just like trinidad ah hear

With one exception. T&T citizens can feel at home in Jamaica.
There is nothing better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.

Malcolm X

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brown joins Powell camp.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 11:54:03 PM »
Brown winning gold in Athens? Based on what?  That was a race that would have required 9.84 to win, he hadn't broken 10.00 at that point.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 06:24:29 PM »
Brown winning gold in Athens? Based on what?  That was a race that would have required 9.84 to win, he hadn't broken 10.00 at that point.

Speculation that was asafa break out year and brown had ran a few good races also and he won the silver medalist at the worlds in 2003..

Ok Ato at the 2003 world championship  remember brown running 10.01 in the semi shuting down at 85-90 meters. Powell that same year had a PB of 10.03 which i think he ran at the championships  before he got the  second  false start an was eliminated but both were capable of going under 10 in that year. So come 2004 yuh boy brown got injured in a race in which they say you false start  and win :devil:.

so yuh neva know

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 12:09:45 AM »
They wanted their bloodsport, and they got it.  "Ato's funeral" ended up being the funeral for the 3/4 of the 4x100m.  I was supposed to run the 200 - they say I ducking the young boys.  So I got in.

The video on my site for all to see.  Maybe if that was the only time in my career I had that start u might say false start. LOL.  Hardly.  Video doh lie.  If u see smoke before I move it could never be a false start.  That is why they hush with that so fast.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Jo Pile

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 02:28:12 PM »
thats was a fantastic start ato, and I know d brown is goin to do well in jamaica working with Asafa could only help. As for me I hope under watchful eyes of Harvey Glance my new coach i would be running fast come next year.
University of Alabama Roll Tide Roll.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 06:04:54 PM »
Yes I think JAMAICA and this change of camps will be great for Darrel as well, and if it doesn't make him world class then at least we will know that it's over.  If he can't succeed and realize potential there, it wont happen anywhere, because Simpson has turned into a gold medal threat for '08 and I never thought her to be of that caliber.

Good for us!
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Jo Pile

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 06:06:53 PM »
Yes ato well said i second that.
University of Alabama Roll Tide Roll.

1]; } ?>