April 19, 2024, 11:22:23 PM

Author Topic: Quow to FSU.  (Read 10348 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Quow to FSU.
« on: August 30, 2006, 08:55:19 PM »
Renny Quow eyeing 2008 Olympics.
By: Kwame Laurence (Guardian).

The newly-crowned men's 400 metres world junior champion is determined to be part of the Trinidad and Tobago team at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and has already set himself a specific goal. "I expect to make it through every round, and when the final comes, we shall see."
Quow, who turns 19 tomorrow will be just 20 when he faces the starter at the 2008 Beijing Games. However, the Morvant-born, Darrell Spring, Tobago, resident is a superb competitor.
At the 2005 Sagicor National Open Track and Field Championships, Quow made it absolutely clear that reputations do not intimidate him. He held his own against the seniors, finishing second to Damion Barry in a then personal best 45.82 seconds. Among the athletes Quow beat to the line was 44-point quarter-miler Ato Modibo.
There was another stunning performance from the former Scarborough Secondary student, at the 2006 World Junior Championships, in Beijing, China, last week. Up against Martyn Rooney in the championship race, he was not fazed by the 45.35 that appeared next to the British runner's name in the Personal Best column, on the start list.
Quow ran his own race, starting slowly but turning on the heat on the back straight to take control. At the end of the one-lap trip, Rooney was a spent force, while Quow had enough gas left in his tank to propel him past the finish line in 45.74 seconds, a new national junior record.
Quow's ascent to the top of the podium at the Chaoyang Sports Centre in Beijing actually began at St Andrew's Anglican, in Calder Hall, Tobago.
"I started running about seven years ago. When I came across to Tobago, I met Damon Douglas at St Andrew's, and we became friends. He showed me how to run the 100, and then I started the 400. I never used to finish the event, so he told me 'when you start something, you must finish'."
Following his introduction to the 400 by Douglas, Quow was discovered by the coach of the Zenith, Tobago, track and field club.
"Gerard Franklyn found me and told me 'you have talent.' He asked me if I would like to train with a club.
From there, there was no turning back for the young athlete. At Zenith, Quow is coached by the Franklyn brothers--Gerard on the track and Wade in the gym.
The quarter-miler says the support of his parents, Rupert and Rena Quow, has also helped him become the quality athlete he is today.
"Hard work and a lot of encouragement are responsible for my success--¦my parents, coaches and friends pushing me and telling me I could do it. Gerard developed me in training, turning me into who I am today."
The global under-20 one-lap champion, however, does not neglect to acknowledge his maker.
"I want to thank God. Without Him I would surely not be here today.
"I don't really have idols in the sport," he continues. "I mostly believe in myself. I look at the older people and say 'if they could do it'..."
Quow took note of Darrel Brown's 100m success at the 2002 World Junior Championships, in Kingston, Jamaica. And four years later, he has joined the T&T sprint star on the short list of T&T athletes who have won world junior titles. The others are 1992 double sprint champion Ato Boldon and Rhonda Watkins, the latest member of the club following her long jump triumph in Beijing last Saturday.
Another local athlete whose performances have caught Quow's eye is retired quarter-miler Ian Morris, the national record holder in the 400m at 44.21 seconds.
"I expect to run 44 sometime. I will get there, but I'm not really rushing it. I'm looking to beat Morris' national record, and I'm also looking forward to great performances. I don't know which one as yet, but I want to do something big at a Worlds or Olympics."
Quow's path to global senior glory includes a stop at Florida State University (FSU). The Maryland RC (Belmont) past pupil is expected to take up a track scholarship at FSU, next January.
"I chose Florida State because they told me everything I need to hear. The coach even came to Tobago to see me train. They showed that they're really interested in me. "Next year," he continues, "I expect to run faster times, and I also plan to study hard."

And then, in 2008, it's back to Beijing for Quow, and an opportunity to test the Olympic waters.
News from August 17th 2006.

Quow win in Beijing.
By: Kwame WIlliams.

Keston Bledman was unsuccessful in his bid to capture T&T’s first medal at the IAAF World Junior Track and Field Championships yesterday in Beijing, China.
Competing in the final of the men’s 100 metres, the Simplex sprinter clocked 10.47 seconds to finish seventh.
Great Britain’s Harry Aikines-Aryeetey copped the title in 10.37 seconds, with Canada’s Justyn Warner bagging the silver medal (10.39) and Yohan Blake of Jamaica getting the bronze (10.42).
Bledman found things easy in Tuesday’s qualifying rounds, first winning his preliminary heat (10.59), then coming second (10.52) in semifinal heat No. 3.
However in the championship race, the going was a lot tougher, as Bledman came to discover.
Carifta Games and CAC Junior Championships quartermile king Renny Quow looks to be one of the favourites heading into today’s 400m final, after winning his semifinal heat in fine style.
The lad from Tobago took 46.18 seconds to complete the event, holding off USA’s Justin Oliver (46.22) and Grant Baker of Great Britain (46.85) in the process.

He also won his opening round heat on Tuesday.

Jamaal James missed out on a place in the men’s 800m final, when he came seventh in his semifinal heat. The Carifta two-lap champion posted a time of one minute, 51.78 seconds.
Today, Memphis Pioneers sprinter Kervin Morgan will make his World Juniors debut when the 200m competition gets started. Both he and Bledman are T&T’s representatives in the event.

Men's 800m semifinal

Heat 1

1. Kivuna Jackson, Mumbwa KEN 1:48.56

2. González, Andy CUB 1:48.85

3. Schembera, Robin GER 1:49.41

4. Brewer, James GBR 1:49.53

5. Adar, Jimmy UGA 1:49.69

6. Lastennet, Jeff FRA 1:50.30

7. James, Jamaal TRI 1:50.42

8. Pöllänen, Tor SWE 1:51.78

Men's 400m semifinal

Heat 2

1. Quow, Renny TRI 46.18 Q

2. Oliver, Justin USA 46.22 Q

3. Baker, Grant GBR 46.85

4. Borlee, Kevin BEL 46.95

5. Isaiah, Victor NGR 46.98

6. Martín, Aitor ESP 47.35

7. Bubner, Alex AUS 47.43

8. Al-Rawahi Mohamed, Salim OMA 47.74

Men's 100m final

1. Aikines-Aryeetey, Harry GBR 10.37

2. Warner, Justyn CAN 10.39

3. Blake, Yohan JAM 10.42

4. Rose, Remaldo JAM 10.43

5. Liang, Jiahong CHN 10.43

6. Bennett-Jackson, Wade GBR 10.45

7. Bledman, Keston TRI 10.47

8. Metu, Obinna NGR 10.50.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 10:04:11 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: Quow to FSU
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 11:17:16 PM »
Good choice by him.  FSU just won the NCAA title this year, it's close to home and the weather isn't ridiculous.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 05:03:47 AM »
Good choice by him.  FSU just won the NCAA title this year, it's close to home and the weather isn't ridiculous.

Ato you sound like you have a new career budding there boy .... not many people can say they know so much about placing young promising athletes.
Have you ever thought of following on John´s smith idea and start your own track unit ... You certainly can handle speed intelligently !

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:48:41 AM »
Not a bad idea there Ato. All you have learnt in your yrs can be used to build our own rep in Trini.

Have you even thought about it?
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 08:18:40 AM »
I don't know if I have patience for that.  In the future for sure.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 08:27:51 AM »
45.74 i wonder how good quow may get by 2008 . He may go under 45....  Look at how well
kellyann improved had she not gotten  injured this year in the NCAA finals  she MAY have won THE 100 AND 200 M. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 08:05:16 AM »
dont sleep on it Ato ...you are a trailblazer ...first to double at the junior worlds, can never be erased . so many sub 10's and 20's ..also can never be erased ... etc.
The jamaican coaches  have earned their reputations and are now consulted on scholarships etc.by top universities.
You have more going for you than they when they started...you are already world famous for your achievements ...you are still young...ESPN wants you to do colour commentary...if you dont do this now you may regret it ...
Why am I trying to make up your mind  ??? ???..you are perfectly capable of doing that if what I said before is true ....
maybe i need my head examined

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 08:33:51 AM »
Trust me I ent sleeping on it but at the same time I being stretched in a bunch of directions between offers in the US and tryin to do stuff in Trinidad...there are a bunch of big big things about to happen locally that I have been asked to be a part of - the least of which is planning a 2009 Caribbean Games (finally!)  which we would host.

SO yes the TV thing can't miss because the demand is there and the US commentators they have, have been getting on people's nerves.

BORN TO DO IT

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 09:42:22 AM »
Trust me I ent sleeping on it but at the same time I being stretched in a bunch of directions between offers in the US and tryin to do stuff in Trinidad...there are a bunch of big big things about to happen locally that I have been asked to be a part of - the least of which is planning a 2009 Caribbean Games (finally!)  which we would host.

SO yes the TV thing can't miss because the demand is there and the US commentators they have, have been getting on people's nerves.

Good news. let me also add that some years ago I spoke with the then sports minister of Jamaica about a caribbean circuit for our world class athletes...she agreed wholeheartely admitting that caribbean athlees were the stars at major world track events...she is now Prime minister of jamaica !
run wid it !

Offline Jo Pile

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Quow to FSU.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 02:34:52 PM »
The word is he is going to kansas city kansas community college where myself, damien,fana ,kirk went. I Personally dont think that the right fit him. There is Arizona and south west chirstian way better programmes. me, barry nor kirk never improved on our times our two years there, come on now do u think we all wasnt trying to get better. The falicities are in a mess i dont recomend that Quow go there, there are at lest 3 better ju co he can go to.
University of Alabama Roll Tide Roll.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 07:54:52 PM »
This is the latest so I guess FSU ent happening.  I thought he had good grades?

http://www.thetobagonews.com/index.pl/article?id=9879766
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 10:28:04 AM »
damm i was hoping quow went fsu. well he would have to do alot of work to run 44.2  in time for the olympics.. ;D cause he say he wantto break ian morris record

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 12:58:41 AM »
44.2 ent no joke nuh.  Trust me.  44.2 is going to be there for a long time unless these 400m runners get serious.  45.00 ent 44.21 It's one of those times that on paper don't seem that hot when u look at WAriner and MJ for example running 43's - until u realize all the men who never run that.  Put it this way - Jamaica, who has a much better history and recent past of 400m runners than us, don't have a NR faster than that.

I wish them the best.  That is a great time.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 07:38:32 AM »
boy is tha a good progam he in btw ... i neva  heard about that school yet.... a next one down the drain it seems oh gosh i was hoping he ghet into USF....

Anyway Pilar McShine is at usf

http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/c-track/mtt/mcshine_pilar00.html

and another sprinter from trinidad dey also

http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/c-track/mtt/massiah_dana00.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 07:44:02 AM by triniman »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 04:58:46 PM »
I have never heard of that program Quow in now.

P.S. is FSU you mean right , cuz USF is a totally different school...
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 11:52:07 AM »
I have never heard of that program Quow in now.

P.S. is FSU you mean right , cuz USF is a totally different school...

oh yes FSU my error

1]; } ?>