April 24, 2024, 05:56:43 PM

Author Topic: Schools vs Country ...SSFL vow to keep players.  (Read 11200 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Schools vs Country ...SSFL vow to keep players.
« on: August 31, 2006, 02:33:18 AM »
SSFL vow to keep players.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Azaad Khan, Secondary Schools' Football League (SSFL) general secretary, yesterday vowed to resist any move by Trinidad and Tobago national youth team coach Anton Corneal to withdraw players from the schoolboy competition.
Corneal, an assistant senior coach and head coach of the national youth teams, told the Express that he felt his team had a better chance of qualifying for the 2007 Korea Under-17 World Cup if his players stayed away from this year's schools league.
Corneal led the under-16 team to third place at the recently concluded 2006 Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Youth Tournament, held in Trinidad and Tobago, and should coach the team into the final qualifying round next April.
Corneal referred to the SSFL competition as a "big, bad wolf" and claimed that it was having a negative impact on recent national youth teams. He pointed to the failures of former under-17 coaches like Nigel Grosvenor and Ron La Forest in the Caribbean qualifying rounds over the last six years.
"I am thinking of withdrawing our players this year so we can have proper preparation without being hindered," said Corneal. "I am not against the colleges' league but, when we are talking about qualifying for a World Cup, we have to put things into perspective."
However Khan, who is also CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh Sports Club CEO, warned that school principals would refuse any demand to stop players from playing.
He insisted that Corneal's claims were baseless, particularly because the schools' league will finish six months before the final Under-17 World Cup qualifying phase.
"Nowhere in the world, including the US where Corneal came from, do you take players and ban them from a league," said Khan. "According to FIFA rules, national teams take players away five days before a game. So how can he justify taking students (eight months before a tournament)?
"We have already spoken to principals in the league and no way are they going to release them like Corneal wants. The (national qualifying) tournament is in April and any coach who is capable and competent will not see that as an obstacle."
St Anthony's College coach and ex-national youth coach Grosvenor also disagreed with the idea of withdrawing schoolboys.
Corneal used Grosvenor's failure to take the national under-17 squad into the Concacaf phase, two years ago, to highlight the problems posed by the schools' league. But Grosvenor insisted that his circumstances were different.
"In my case, the tournament was in October-November so that was much closer to the schools competition," said the St Anthony's College coach. "If the tournament was during the year, I would go along with what he was saying because I had a problem since the guys were physically tired.
"But when secondary schools finishes in October and their next tournament is in April, they have time to recuperate and they will not be short of match practice because they will be playing in a competition."
George Hislop, a retired magistrate and former chairman of the SSFL disciplinary committee, urged the TTFF to reconsider and argued that schools competition was an important part of the students' holistic development.
"In terms of education, they have no right to go in any school and to take any boy out of his classes," said Hislop, "and I see classes to extend to extra curricular activities as well. The Ministry of Education should take a stand and not permit anybody to interfere with a boy's life in school."
Hislop, father of national World Cup goalkeeper Shaka Hislop, said the majority of the Soca Warriors represented their schools and many referred to their SSFL days as the happiest in their career.
He also noted that the Portugal 1991 Under-20 squad, which was the first English-speaking Caribbean team to qualify for a Fifa tournament, relied heavily on the schools' league for resources.
"It is one time in the boys' life that stays with them forever," he said. "(Alvin and Anton) Corneal played school football and enjoyed it and I think it is damn foolishness to stop these boys from experiencing that. I think they are just playing up to (Fifa vice-president Jack) Warner to have people believing that playing international football is more important than anything else."
Khan said the SSFL were trying to improve their standards by shrinking the number of competing teams as well as improving the level of coaching. He countered that Corneal's problems were largely of his own making and slammed the coach for selecting an under-par team and not paying enough attention to the various youth competitions.
"The aim of the school league is to project talent," said Khan. "We show you the talent and it is your job to harness that. We have accepted that there are flaws in the league but sometimes people like to use the league as a scapegoat for their own deficiencies. Corneal is with the national senior team and wants to coach all the youth teams himself too. That is not done anywhere in the world. His track record and what he was doing in the States to me does not qualify him for that job."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 02:54:04 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Schools vs Country ...SSFL vow to keep players.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 10:41:22 AM »
Azaad Khan has my full support with his decisions and what he has to say here,are we blaming the players for the failures we had with those Youth teams in the past,Grosvenor and Ron Laforest just not ready to coach at that level,Bertil took those same players and qualified for a WC,these Coaches we have at home just messing up good players and finding all kind of excuses when they don't do well.I have listened to Ron Laforest after a game with any team he coaches and is the same comments he makes,i would like Flex to get an interview with Ron.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 10:45:30 AM »
Coop they may figure out yuh identity soon you know ;D yeah flex yuh should get one with Ron i would like to hear what he has to say.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 10:50:50 AM »
Azaad Khan is a boss !! good reply, put all ah them in they dam place, from Jack straight down to Anton. Khan dont work for de TTFF so he eh have to worry about kissing Jack ass. Unless Jack decide to come up with some plan to kill de SSFL and then bring it back under de TTFF rules and make Anton coach all de SSFL teams too. Anton want to coach every team in T&T so why not make him coach all de SSFL teams too...  :rotfl:

A man with no track record leading we entire youth program ......  :rotfl:  is like a deaf dog walking a blind man.

De SSFL does develop many players because we have no youth programs in T&T. Only in T&T.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 12:28:58 PM »
In the US the game of Soccer is all about participation,once you want to play this game they find a place for you to play,no child is left behind,it have Soccer for all kind of handicape people even those in wheelchairs,opportunity to play the game is getting less and less in our  country,where are the Minor/Youth leagues,imagine we don't have a Sand Soccer team(always behind). 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 04:53:11 PM by Coop's »

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 10:57:48 AM »
Was it a under 19 world cup that we qualified for with Bertile as opposed to a U17 world Cup that we are trying to qualify for now? When we qualified, did we get quite a few goals in we tail? I remember 5 in one game.
Have the the other teams in the region (CONCACAF) changed their approach to preparation ie. Haiti?
Are we just satisfied to qualify and go and pack up the defense so as not to get a whole set of goals or do we want to able  to qualify and play a more expansive game?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 01:02:35 PM by dombasil »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 11:29:13 AM »
In the US the game of Soccer is all about participation,once you want to play this game they find a place for you to play,no child is left behind,it have Soccer for all kind of handicape people even those in wheelchairs,opportunity to play the game is getting less and less in our  country,where are the Minor/Youth leagues,imagine we don't have a Sand Soccer team(always behind). 

Playin devil's advocate here.  What sand soccer team did we have in your day Coop's?  When we did play all dis football "back in de day" as you imply....what did we ever do internationally where it counts?  How did that translate into on field international success? 

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 01:27:05 PM »

Playin devil's advocate here.  What sand soccer team did we have in your day Coop's?  When we did play all dis football "back in de day" as you imply....what did we ever do internationally where it counts?  How did that translate into on field international success? 

I never said we had a Sand Soccer team in my day,what i said was everybody used to play Sand Soccer although it was not called,it was always the thing to do when we go to the Beach,why you think them players from Mayaro,Tobago etc so strong is the Beach,play Soccer against guys from Toco,Manzanilla,Las Cuevas,Blanchisseuse(Tinto) on the Beach and see something,the thing is we will never pay attention to those guys.This international attention being brought to Sand Soccer only just started(somebody wants to make some money)because that's what they are doing here,it's a money making thing it's the US.   

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 01:51:10 PM »
Was it a under 19 world cup that we qualified for with Bertile as opposed to a U17 world Cup that we are trying to qualify for now? When we qualified, did we get quite a few goals in we tail? I remember 5 in one game.
Have the the other teams in the region (CONCACAF) changed their approach to preparation ie. Haiti?
Are we just satisfied to qualify and go and pack up the defense so as not to get a whole set of goals or do we want to able  to qualify and play a more expansive game?

The question is not about qualifying for the WC,it's being said here that the Colleges league is no good,they don't produce any players,bann players from playing there so that they can train with the national team.
      The thing is we did qualify for a Youth WC which means the players were good enough,Coaches are the ones to improve these players, we have been getting bye on natural talent for too long,it did not work in the past and it will not work today.How many teams have changed their approach to the game in the region,everybody talk about Haiti but their Coach is local.
        Again i will say our problem is coaching and i agree with your last paragraph.     

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 02:25:36 PM »

The question is not about qualifying for the WC,it's being said here that the Colleges league is no good,they don't produce any players,bann players from playing there so that they can train with the national team.
      The thing is we did qualify for a Youth WC which means the players were good enough,Coaches are the ones to improve these players, we have been getting bye on natural talent for too long,it did not work in the past and it will not work today.How many teams have changed their approach to the game in the region,everybody talk about Haiti but their Coach is local.

I agree that coaching is a major part of our problem.  Not the only problem...but a major problem.  However, I also put it to you that coaching at the SSFL level, BY DEFINITION, cannot possibly properly develop players.  Season start in September....done in November.  80% of the teams finish play in October.  Players play a MINIMUM of 3 games per week.  Even if preseason takes place in July as some claim....what kind of preparation can they have for playing 3 times a week competitively and then done?  What sort of recovery time do players have between matches.  Last season Fatima played 5 matches in 7 days.  They're by no means the only team to have done that over the years. 

How is that beneficial?

How does that aid long term development?

Add to that,coaching IN GENERAL regardless of the level is sub standard to today's criteria...it is exponentially so at the SSFL level.

You used Ron La Forest as an example earlier.  Yet it can be argued that the same Ron La Forest was in charge of the all conquering St Anthony's team not so long ago.  He was an abysmal failure with the Under 21 team.  So....did he suddenly turn bad coach?  Or was he a bad coach all along and it was the U 21 team that was a shitty team?  Is the SSFL league so bad it could allow a shitty coach to be successful?  Fluke? 

So tell me again..how does the SSFL as it exists benefit football development in T&T?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 06:28:31 PM »

I agree that coaching is a major part of our problem.  Not the only problem...but a major problem.  However, I also put it to you that coaching at the SSFL level, BY DEFINITION, cannot possibly properly develop players.  Season start in September....done in November.  80% of the teams finish play in October.  Players play a MINIMUM of 3 games per week.  Even if preseason takes place in July as some claim....what kind of preparation can they have for playing 3 times a week competitively and then done?  What sort of recovery time do players have between matches.  Last season Fatima played 5 matches in 7 days.  They're by no means the only team to have done that over the years. 

How is that beneficial?

How does that aid long term development?

Add to that,coaching IN GENERAL regardless of the level is sub standard to today's criteria...it is exponentially so at the SSFL level.

You used Ron La Forest as an example earlier.  Yet it can be argued that the same Ron La Forest was in charge of the all conquering St Anthony's team not so long ago.  He was an abysmal failure with the Under 21 team.  So....did he suddenly turn bad coach?  Or was he a bad coach all along and it was the U 21 team that was a shitty team?  Is the SSFL league so bad it could allow a shitty coach to be successful?  Fluke? 

So tell me again..how does the SSFL as it exists benefit football development in T&T?

take away the ssfl (everything else stay the same) what kind of football any of the youths have?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 07:20:54 PM »
take away the ssfl (everything else stay the same) what kind of football any of the youths have?

Dat question make it seem like we youths doh play any other kinda organized football.  U eh serious wit dah question right bounty?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 08:02:07 PM »
so which league, or program or organisation could boast of producing more t&t national players under the agew of 18 than ssfl?
I not sayin they all good, but how many players you know limin whole year and only training during ssfl season? that is the problem, theyt need more structure for the rest of the year.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 08:07:26 PM »

Dat question make it seem like we youths doh play any other kinda organized football.  U eh serious wit dah question right bounty?
Not to sould like ah back ing the other side but Bounty Killer have a point there........ I from Bago and I know apart from SSFL it aint have nothing else doing. So what youth leagues it have in Trini(apart from PFL which has what 10 teams)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 08:46:36 PM »
so which league, or program or organisation could boast of producing more t&t national players under the agew of 18 than ssfl?
I not sayin they all good, but how many players you know limin whole year and only training during ssfl season? that is the problem, theyt need more structure for the rest of the year.

Breds...ah go tell yuh...if SSFL producin National players after a 2 month season....dem should share dey secret wit leagues de world over.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 08:53:32 PM »

Not to sould like ah back ing the other side but Bounty Killer have a point there........ I from Bago and I know apart from SSFL it aint have nothing else doing. So what youth leagues it have in Trini(apart from PFL which has what 10 teams)

Bertille stop coachin outside a SSFL season?  Pargee used to do a ting back in de day.  Terry Williams as far as I know does try he best.  Hell, even Granno used to have action goin on outside SSFL season.  I eh bin home fuh a while so me eh know wha goin on dese days.

What Jean Lilywhite (now DATS an example of a producer of talent) and dem does be doin year round?  La Foucade?  Alvin Corneal coachin school does do nutting year round?  It have plenty more throughout de island.

Not to mention all de various leagues it have dat might be off de T&T media map but certainly exist at varying age group levels.  To me....DEM is de one's who PRODUCE we players....NOT SSFL.  But hey..is jes my opinion and I've been wrong many times before and ah probably wrong dis time too.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 08:58:11 PM »
I hear yuh, yuh know palos...and I not saying is ssfl alone make national players into who they are eg - anybody livin round bourg mulatresse in the 90's could tell yuh Jason scotland was a man running and keepin fit year round...and it pay off fuh him.  but what I saying is that is no reason for men like anton to knock the league or try to break up one of the few good things in place for the youths.
nfl does get most of its players from a college league that run for only a few months per year...same with NBA.  B ut I doubt Michael Jordan and dem fellaz hang up dey socks after march madness.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 09:04:24 PM »

Bertille stop coachin outside a SSFL season?  Pargee used to do a ting back in de day.  Terry Williams as far as I know does try he best.  Hell, even Granno used to have action goin on outside SSFL season.  I eh bin home fuh a while so me eh know wha goin on dese days.

What Jean Lilywhite (now DATS an example of a producer of talent) and dem does be doin year round?  La Foucade?  Alvin Corneal coachin school does do nutting year round?  It have plenty more throughout de island.

Not to mention all de various leagues it have dat might be off de T&T media map but certainly exist at varying age group levels.  To me....DEM is de one's who PRODUCE we players....NOT SSFL.  But hey..is jes my opinion and I've been wrong many times before and ah probably wrong dis time too.

agreed, but what about best players from north meeting best players from tobago, meet south...and improving their skills.  what kind of crowd a Alcons vs Lillywhite schools going and draw?  so how they going and get the money to travel and get more exposed?

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 09:09:21 PM »

Ok I agree with you that SSFL do produce nothing but part from going coaching school on a Sat. morning that is it. No youth leagues or competions. Remember Bertill used to take little trips to orher Islands but them was few and far between.

Is there any competion between the various coaching schools ?? On a regular basis(not the republic Cup once a year) Might be a good idea.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 09:14:18 PM »
Ah bounty killer ah see we thinking and typing the same thing at the same time. Strange how nobody in authority could think the same way as we......and they getting paid to do it  ;)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 09:37:46 PM »
agreed, but what about best players from north meeting best players from tobago, meet south...and improving their skills.  what kind of crowd a Alcons vs Lillywhite schools going and draw?  so how they going and get the money to travel and get more exposed?

Breds.....in my opinion...SSFL definitely has it's place.  As I've said repeatedly...it's a SHOWCASE LEAGUE. It fulfills that purpose and it does that well.

What I have taken issue with is that many are saying that the SSFL has and is DEVELOPING our National players and to me, that is a falsehood....especially post St Benedict's of the 60's days.  St Benedict's then was like an ACADEMY.  That doesn't happen anymore in our football with the VERY RARE exception.

I also said that the SSFL, as it exists, is actually a detriment to the DEVELOPMENT (there's that word again) of our elite (i.e. National) youth players.  Playing minimum 3 games a week, plus Big 4, plus Intercol means you have burnt out players by the time the finals of each competition comes around.  

If I understand Anton Corneal correctly, we are going to be preparing for the CONCACAF U 17 WC qualifiers.  He wants the National players preparing together for that tournament.  I have to assume that Mr. Corneal has practice matches, particular preparation in terms of nutrition, psychological assessments, desired fitness levels, the system the team is to play etc all worked out.  The goal of all this is to build a cohesive unit that operates as a TEAM.  Isn't this the direction we all have been clamoring for on this site?

If this assumption is accurate (and he must have these plans in place or why else would he want to take the players out the SSFL), what benefit will these National players derive in playing in the SSFL?  They will be exposed to different coaching methods (because they all don't play for the same school), and the coaching IN GENERAL is suspect at the SSFL level to say the least, they will be burnt out at the end of it all and for what?  School pride?  Bragging rights?  Isn't the CONCACAF U 17 qualifying the bigger picture?  Isn't WC 2010/14 an even bigger picture?  

People sayin Colleges League finishing in November and there is enough time before the CONCACAF U 17 WC qualifying tournament.  Look how long it took our Soca Warriors senior team to make the break through and qualify for the World Cup.  When they finally got together to prepare for the World Cup, there were 6 weeks to go before the first game.  The vast majority of our players were coming from PROFESSIONAL CLUBS.  They had already achieved a certain level of conditioning, YET, we hear that even that was not enough and some players still weren't at the optimum fitness level they should have been at...even after being with PROFESSIONAL CLUBS.  Yet we want to cut back on our junior team's preparation, who don't have the same exposure to professionalism and fitness levels at this time, FOR WHAT?

I am saying...is either we serious about this football thing or we not.  If we serious, we have to make some sacrifices.  We cannot continue to make the same mistakes over and over again and expect different results each time.  That is the definition of INSANITY.  Instead of looking at what Corneal saying for what it is and looking at how we can fix it to the benefit of ALL, we choose instead to focus on the negative, get defensive, and hurl insults and accusations.  

If the "stars" don't play this season in SSFL....that just means there are other players who would otherwise have not gotten an opportunity.  Sometimes you unravel diamonds that way.  

Case in point....way back in the day....Clive Pantin, then principal of Fatima College made a very unpopular decision.  He decided that Fatima was not going to partake in the Colleges League because of the transfer system where players would just get transferred to play football and not based on academic criteria.  Fatima was banned from the League for 2 years.  During that time, Fatima formed the "House League" as a way to keep their students active and interested in sport.  After all, Mr. Pantin was a former National footballer himself so he knew & appreciated the improtance of sport in the curriculum.  Stewart House, Archbishop House, Corcoran House etc.  There was a Midday League in the quad.  

Out of those in house leagues, were discovered DIAMONDS.  Players who otherwise would have been missed to play for Fatima but instead just played for fun.  Some of the DIAMONDS were Garnet Craig, Lester Moore etc.  Fatima never DEVELOPED Garnet Craig (no disrespect to then coach the late Mr. Kenny Roberts).  Garnet Craig was a footballer with Blackpool in the Eastern League long before anybody at school knew he was playin football.  One day somebody read in the paper the local club scores and saw the name G Craig as a goalscorer and asked Garnet if that was him.  That was how Garnet Craig came to play for Fatima.  Mucurapo never PRODUCE Ian Clauzel or Eric White or Wendell Belgrave.  Dem fellas REPRESENT de school....and that is the distinction I have been making.

Anton Corneal in my opinion sayin if we want to truly prepare PROPERLY for this tournament, let's do everything in our power to do so.  If we content to continue the way we have...no problem.  Jes doh complain when we get we ass cut in regional and international competition.

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 09:40:13 PM »
fact is most children go to school, repping yuh school is a must...bragging rights and all.

But there is no way that SSFL producing any players..dem players already have dey skills.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »
fact is most children go to school, repping yuh school is a must...bragging rights and all.

But there is no way that SSFL producing any players..dem players already have dey skills.

This is the thing.
 This league degenerate over the years because of its all inclusive nature.
 Now every kid on de block want to play in de SSFL because that is the only way they get recognised.
So the youth who playing SAND FOOTBALL in MAYARO, Bacolet, Moruga etc that cyar get in a school or he just don't want to but decide to fish with he uncle or go to Bp trade school just fall outside of the radar.
We can't afford that kinda loss we too damn small to allow that to happen.
In the mean time the schools have these other kids and setting them up as big football stars and when they go to play as a SSFL unit against school teams in Jamaica they getting level licks.
And mind you this is single schools in Jamaica not a whole league team.

This SSFL as we know it now in my opinion is a major impediment to football development.
Especially worst since QRC ketching dey ass to win it. ;D ;D ;D
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 07:52:42 AM »
cool, cool...I feelin it tt & palos and fish.  I will go on the assumption that after anton take dem men out the ssfl he will at least have dem boyz training once a week and playing competitive opposition in between.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 11:53:10 AM »

What about the youth leagues...zonal.

W Connection U-20 etc etc.

Superstar Rangers

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 12:13:18 PM »
Palos...my sentiments exactly......then people want to know how Haiti play like that in the U16....is years and years of preparation...living together, eating, training all in one camp for years...and they gettin results. Personally I don't think Haiti have anything over we in talent level. Its just that they took the time to recognize the talented ones and mold them properly over a long period of time.

Some here want to know here why we cyah beat ah team like Haiti..and in the same breath want to prepare out teams in a couple weeks to beat teams like Haiti......INSANITY I say !!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 05:34:16 PM »

Superstar Rangers

Thank you dcs... I reading this thread and I real real shame!!

I playing organized football since u-12 for Barataria Ball players..... and Is real games in de East Zone we playing right through.... certainly more than de little 6 games I mighta play for Fatima at u-14 etc... is only when yuh reach intercol level yuh getting ah lil 14 games a season... which still didnt compare to the amount of football i play in de east zone...

Season was from June-November... game every weekend.... and most times 2 game... cuz i playing at 2 age groups... e.g u-14 AND u-16....

Allyuh men who bawling is only Intercol it have to develop players... allyuh was "House Men" or what?? Mammy used to keep allyuh inside to play scrabble or wha? Doh talk dat shite at all....
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2006, 06:27:31 PM »

Superstar Rangers

Thank you dcs... I reading this thread and I real real shame!!

I playing organized football since u-12 for Barataria Ball players..... and Is real games in de East Zone we playing right through.... certainly more than de little 6 games I mighta play for Fatima at u-14 etc... is only when yuh reach intercol level yuh getting ah lil 14 games a season... which still didnt compare to the amount of football i play in de east zone...

Season was from June-November... game every weekend.... and most times 2 game... cuz i playing at 2 age groups... e.g u-14 AND u-16....

Allyuh men who bawling is only Intercol it have to develop players... allyuh was "House Men" or what?? Mammy used to keep allyuh inside to play scrabble or wha? Doh talk dat shite at all....
Thanks for this I was asking men to tell us what other youths leagues it have going on. As I said in Bago we didn't really have them ting. It was BSC coaching school on a Sat and that was it.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2006, 06:48:01 PM »
khan need tuh cool down ah lil bit, de whip has to be apart of it and van d also, must be behind de scenes saying lewwe put them in camp and train dem, anton is de mouthpiece but the real brains is de whip and van d, i dont see anything wrong with having them prepare on the national team as long as dey preparing, de ttff reputation is making this harder for dem to access players, dey need tuh build a rep first and reorganize and do succesful ventures b4 man respect dem..

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2006, 06:14:18 AM »
By Garth Wattley.
09-Jan-2000 - Thirty-six years old, how does it feel? From Leroy De Leon to Arnold Dwarika, schoolboy football has experienced a world of change in its time. In three decades, the Colleges Football League has experienced more than a difference in its style of play.
The name is no longer the same. The CFL is now the SSFL - Secondary Schools Football League.
The change in designation has had wider implications for the league.
What began as a contest among six schools has become a truly nationwide series of competitions involving some 27 teams playing in the championship division. The gloried but very exclusive contests of the early 20th century are long gone.
In their place is a structure that allows tiny Toco the opportunity to topple once mighty QRC and the folks across the sea in Tobago to gain the type of national recognition not afforded them in other spheres.
But in 36 years, has all change been good change?
And as the 20th century begins to fade from memory, what will be the legacy of the SSFL in Trinidad and Tobago? Is expansion a significant part of that legacy?
Former Fatima College principal Clive Pantin answers in the affirmative.
"They brought a new perspective to the league," he says of the secondary schools and senior comprehensives that arrived in the 1970s and 80s.
"The expansion," he adds, "has given more young men the ability to shine, to do things. In a smaller league they would never have got the opportunity."
And where indeed would national football have been in the last two decades had John Donaldson Technical Institute not introduced Clayton Morris, Tranquillity Secondary Russell Latapy, Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive Hutson Charles and Clint Marcelle, Signal Hill Dwight Yorke, Arima Senior Comprehensive Kerry Jamerson, St Augustine Senior Comprehensive Jerren Nixon and El Dorado Senior Comprehensive Stern John.
The CFL/SSFL is where they all got their start. It is from there they developed the competitive instincts. These were the type of players who gave the national youth teams of the 1980s and 1990s in particular such an exciting flavour.
But change has not come without a price.
Quantity has not, in many cases, improved quality.
Hear current SSFL president Roy Jagroopsingh.
"Now in south, apart from St Benedict's, Naparima and Princes Town, the quality is sub-standard. That is why I favour six quality teams in the league."
To reduce from 27 to six teams seems drastic.
But Jagroopsingh is not alone in believing that smaller is better.
"With a very narrow league of eight teams," notes former national youth coach Keith LookLoy, "if you wanted to play Intercol, you had to get into one of those teams. Nowadays anybody can play."
The lack of fire on the field has also cooled some of the fervour in the stands.
The 1999 Intercol semi-finals and finals held at Skinner Park reportedly grossed $.1 million. But those were isolated instances.
The crowds for the Intercol contests played in the North and East combined in 1999 would have been hard-pressed to match the 18,000 that the John Donaldson/Mucurapo North Intercol final of 1978 drew to the Queen's Park Oval. The estimated 20,000 that saw San Fernando Technical and Arima play the 1985 Intercol final at the National Stadium would not have fitted into the Park.
There is no one answer for this. But a significant factor is star quality…rather the lack of it. "Skill does not come with commitment," notes former national skipper turned commentator Sedley Joseph.
"In my opinion, it seems there were a lot more skilful individuals in the '60s, '70s and '80s than we see now."
Joseph will get no argument from former Maple player Andy Ganteaume. Ganteaume watched and played his football in an era when a five-forward line-up - not five defenders - was the norm, when offence was the best defence.
"In every team," he says, "you had at least two forwards who could lash the ball. There were not many dull moments. But it is so regimented now.
"When these different systems came in, players lost their individuality."
The problem is not unique to these parts.
Argentina's 1986 World Cup winning coach Carlos Bilardo and former heroes Pele and Johan Cruyff have also lamented the lack of emphasis on technique in the world game.
But in the T&T context, at youth level, the problem is more acute.
"Although we have more clinics, I don't think people are spending as much time on the technical aspect of the game."
This from a current SSFL coach, Malick's Ken Franco.
LookLoy, himself once attached to Malick, is more pointed.
"Nobody," he says, "wants to invest time in the unglamorous work of training Under-14 boys."
Naparima coach and ex-St Benedict's star Jan Steadman is even more blunt.
"The tail is wagging the dog in football and everything here," he declares. "The people who are coaching the football don’t have a clue about the build-up. Everybody wants to be a star coach. Everybody wants to go into a system when the guys can't even trap! They don't know the game."
The effect of such negligence is seen first hand by people like professional coach, Jamal Shabazz.
Many are the schoolboy stars that he has seen who have lost their way in the more technically demanding arena of club soccer.
"Coaches have gone overboard in wanting to win the Secondary Schools Football league and totally miss the point," he says.
"A lot of times," he adds, "coaches are hoodwinking themselves. We should be thinking about developing players."
National coach Bertille St Clair is also concerned about the quality of coaching at the schools level. His counter has been to bring some of the youth squads - the national Under-23s in particular - under his direct supervision. He also suggests organizing a coaching network among the SSFL's various zones.
But one thing St Clair cannot coach is spirit.
And that perhaps is the greatest indictment of the modern era, its lack of passion.
"Our game was not as much a self-centered game as now," observes Ian Jeffers, QRC captain in 1966 and 1967.
"Players now focus on their game much more," he adds.
With the several scholarship and professional opportunities now available, such a narrower focus is understandable, he concedes.
But Jeffers and his contemporaries played at a time when player power meant taking responsibility on the field.
"We were just more involved in the game as players," he says.
"We used to pick our own teams. Now the coach seems to be the centre of the team."
Taking charge also sometimes meant taking a hit.
"Take a hit for the team," was a CIC slogan back in 1970 when Luciano Woodley played.
"People did not play for themselves, they played for their school. Every player gave 100 percent - plus!" he says.
"I don't know if when they opened up the football to all the schools whether that Intercol rivalry started to die," muses former CIC player of the '64 vintage, Richard De Souza.
"But the whole meaning of wearing a blue and white jersey is not the same."
Both Woodley and De Souza have worked with the players of he present time. And the latter recalled with amazement a case of one of his charges coming to an Intercol team meeting wearing the sky blue shirt of another school!
That would have been sacrilege in the time of the legendary Pa Aleong and Joffre Chambers. They were coaches who inculcated in their numerous pupils both technique and a love of the game.
The late Roderick Warner was another passionate man.
Ask Keith Weekes.
"I don't think I have passed under a coach who could have motivated players like him," says the man who played for Warner's Tranquillity sides of eh early '70s.
"He could psyche you up for a game."
A taskmaster at times, Warner could also be the father figure.
"He was into your life," says Weekes. "He would always give you money to go home, help you buy your boots and even come and talk to your parents to get you to play."
Colourful Roderick is gone now, and so too are many of his breed.
But is it necessary to bring back the old days?
Perhaps the answer lies in learning new ways to suit the new age.
"We have depended on the Colleges League to develop our players ad it has got us nowhere," declares Shabazz. "A whole new approach is needed."
Harsh words perhaps, but in the cold light of the approaching new dawn, necessary ones.
Because once there are goalposts up, the schoolboys will be at play. And the fans will go to see them, confident that from beneath the muck, the highest class will rise again.

Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>