April 24, 2024, 03:30:02 AM

Author Topic: Brian Lara Thread  (Read 30750 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Brian Lara Thread
« on: September 07, 2006, 02:29:25 PM »
'Lara' to get the axe.
By: Mark Pouchet (Express).

No play will be possible at the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba for the warm-up matches of the International Cricket Council (ICC) West Indies Cricket World Cup (CWC) 2007.
But ICC WI CWC Local Organising Committee (LOC) CEO Anand Daniel stated that this country will still host those matches which will be shifted to either the National Cricket Centre in Balmain, Couva or the UWI ground in St Augustine.
With ICC and Global Cricket Corporation (GCC) inspectors, headed by ICC CWC's venue development director Don Lockerbie, bearing down on Tarouba for thorough and decisive inspections today, from 8:45 a.m., the "Lara", part of the PNM's planned $850 million elite sports complex at Tarouba, is likely to receive the thumbs down from the ICC inspectors.
"The Brian Lara Stadium is unlikely to be ready enough to be handed over to the ICC by November 30," Daniel admitted. "The ICC inspectors are coming with their construction experts and they know from the weather patterns and from the comparison with other regional venues that we are several months behind and so, it is very unlikely that we will be able to catch up, if not impossible."
On Tuesday, Lockerbie reported that the rain had been "devastating" to the progress of the construction of the Stadium, and that the ground was in danger of losing its status as a pre-tournament venue.

The threat is now reality.

The bane of the completion of the project, which is being overseen by the Urban Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago (UdeCoTT), has been inclement weather and a prolonged delay in the delivery of steel.
The LOC thought they had made up for the continued postponement with their first contingency plan-the use of temporary seating to be provided by France-based GL Events. But the insurmountable delays at the project site in Tarouba have meant that, although the pitch and outfield are ready, no foundation has been laid for the temporary seating to be supplied by the French company that has provided such facilities for Olympic and World Cup events in the past.
"Any kind of temporary structure needs a structure, a foundation to be laid on, "Daniel explained, "and that base is unlikely to be finished. Also, we should have placed the orders for those (temporary seatings) now because they will take a few months to arrive. But with the deadline for ordering equipment coming at the end of September, the rain has played havoc and it won't make any sense now."
However, their second alternative plan, which Daniel said was accepted with "satisfaction" by Lockerbie and company, will see the warm-up matches, to include Pakistan, South Africa, Canada and Scotland in January and February next year, shifted to the NCC and the UWI Ground.
"He (Lockerbie) is very comfortable with our contingency and strategy," Daniel explained. "I think if we didn't have an alternative that the CWC would have realised there was a bigger problem and we would have been in some trouble."
But is the LOC disappointed that the Brian Lara Stadium will not be an ICC WI CWC 2007 warm-up match venue?
"No, it's not a disappointment," Daniel said. "We have always felt it would be difficult to finish in time given the rain and the other delays. Of course it's a disappointment for the country but the positive thing is that it will be easy to move those matches to the other venues and so, we will still be able to host them here."
After visiting Tarouba, the ICC inspectors will travel to the tournament venue, Queen's Park Oval, at 2 p.m., before touching down at the other two T&T practice venues-the NCC in Couva and the UWI Ground in St Augustine. Those venues have already received the "thumbs up" from the ICC officials. The next stop for Lockerbie and company is Antigua.
The assessment team toured Barbados on Monday and were in Grenada on Tuesday. They will be in Jamaica to visit Sabina Park on September 13. They will also complete an inspection of the Greenfield Stadium project in Trelawny, in the country's north-west, on September 14.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:48:51 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: 'Lara' to get the axe.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »
Good.  We should have nutting to do wit CWC.  Leh dem hold dey CWC elsewhere.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 04:30:12 PM »

And why is this ???

I ask foolishly.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 06:02:04 PM »

And why is this ???

I ask foolishly.

Jes my opinion.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 10:14:19 AM »
How much money eventually went into that before it was halted?

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 02:54:37 PM »
from what I hear, the work will continue, and more than likely it will be ready for the actual matches but not for the warm-ups.
the playing pitch is down, but it is the stands not done.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
'Lara the greatest among his peers"
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 02:56:31 PM »

Having to name one "great" batsman from among three contemporary favourites is a tricky task at any time. Yet a high-profile panel of former greats stuck its collective neck out and picked Brian Lara over Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar for his ability to dominate attacks consistently and over a period of time.

The panel - John Wright, Ian Chappell, Tony Greig and Ravi Shastri - had gathered for Cricinfo's fortnightly discussion The Round Table, hosted by Sanjay Manjrekar. Saturday's discussion, part of the new audio service, Cricinfo Talk, was debating the question, How good is the modern batsman?

The issue was discussed under the canvas of four trends: One, the fact that the 2006 Champions Trophy has served up only one score in excess of 300; two, that perhaps this was the golden age of batting pitches; three, that techniques were not being tested enough; and four, that averages belied sheer batting talent.

All four panelists immediately identified the change in the nature of Indian pitches during the Champions Trophy. While the prolonged monsoon yielded an under-prepared pitch in the earlier games at Mumbai's Brabourne Stadium, the last few matches at the other venues had ball dominate bat for an altogether un-Indian reason - bounce and carry.

Wright, the former New Zealand opener and India coach, noted how pitches today were marketed differently, and how curators were attempting to suit various conditions. Chappell and Shastri singled out Daljit Singh, the curator of the PCA Stadium in Mohali, for praise for his effective work on a pitch that "produced an even contest, and good matches" and was "the best" in India.

Shastri highlighted how the Mohali pitch had exposed India's batsmen - with bounce and carry, and some lateral movement - against Australia and how, as a result of a lack of sixes, India were forced to push for the ones and twos but failed to do so in the manner that Australia did.

Another factor raised was that of the one bouncer per over rule, which Shastri favoured. "It's a good rule, because it gives the bowler a chance to dictate terms and leave that doubt in the batsman's mind," he said. Noted Wright, "The front-foot play was diminished considerably. Batsmen needed to rely more on technical expertise, such as balance and shot control. Survival on flatter pitches is easier, but we saw with the bounce and movement than many batsmen struggled. It was quite unlike Indian conditions."

Greig summed it up - "It's simple: the pitches play up, the batsmen struggle" - while commenting on how batsmen weaned on flat pitches were suddenly finding unpredictable surfaces tough to handle. All four experts agreed that the Champions Trophy had exposed certain modern day batsmen.

In 2006, there have been 12 batsmen who averaged over 50, around three times the number of even a decade ago. So how does this square with the notion of declining quality? The consensus was that batsmen in the contemporary era were up against weaker bowling as against batsmen till the mid-1990s. Chappell was quick to point out that he would have included Mark Taylor and Michael Slater as the opening pair in an all-time Australian XI over Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer, for their ability to dominate quality bowling attacks. He gave the example of Hayden, whose average soon after he debuted at the international level was in the 20s and who couldn't progress beyond a certain level. On his phenomenal return, notably in the series against India in 2001, Hayden averaged in the 60s and Chappell noted how this could have been because of the difference in bowling quality.

"Teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh have diluted the bowling," said Chappell. "If you look back at the '90s, you had a more formidable bowling attack going up against batsmen. You had Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis operating in tandem, Allan Donald was there, Australia, as they've almost always done, had a formidable attack, and even West Indies had Curtley Ambrose and Courtney Walsh. Today, that's not the case, as the pace just isn't there."

Pace brought up the issue of helmets. It was argued that today's batsmen relied too much on safety precautions. Wright, having played just a small amount of his cricket without a helmet, pointed to successful batsman like Gary Sobers, Greg Chappell and Viv Richards, who not only scored runs against very fast bowlers while batting without helmets, but also dominated attacks.

Chappell was emphatic: "I didn't ever honestly think that a bowler was going to bowl to hit me. We backed our instincts and our skills. The only way I ever thought I'd get hit on the head was by my own mistake, if I'd top-edge a hook back onto my skull." Greig stressed on how the batsman's courage was not being tested enough, and that certain aspects of batting had gone astray.

So how does one identify greatness? It's a feel that one gets from watching a batsman, was the consensus, and the statistics usually back it up. Shastri pointed out that while technique and ability were definite criteria, what mattered most was consistency.

The panelists were asked to name their greats, and the common names from the past included the two Richards, Garry Sobers, Graeme Pollock, for their ability to score consistently throughout their careers.

And so to Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting. The panel's choice was clear, Lara over Ponting. Sunday's face-off just got more interesting.

Jamie Alter in Mumbai

November 4, 2006
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Re: 'Lara the greatest among his peers"
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 03:04:02 PM »
I remeber some game agaisnt australia in the caridbbean a couple of years ago when they worked lara over good wiht bounces and nuff balls tot he body.
lara stuck it out and made i cant remeber if ti was 50 plus or he went on to make 100.
all i remeber was it was a real gutsy performance..and i relaised lara was maturing alot as a team player.
captain.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

TrinInfinite

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 04:03:59 PM »
lara has always been de bess, its de wicb and selectors and former captains bc of jealousy kept him down and out of the team....

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 04:18:22 PM »
lara has always been de bess, its de wicb and selectors and former captains bc of jealousy kept him down and out of the team....
strong sentiments...i agree lara been one of the greatest cricketing players and minds ever...but still didnt help that he wasnt mature enough for the role that was required by him. Furthermore it didnt help our Cricketing Board is de worst ever...dem cant get nuttin right.
Nuttin better dan watching lara bat and dominate any bowling attack....
Back in Trini...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 12:50:13 PM »
See that 157 he make against australia in the caribbean standing up with walsh to save that test?? That was the best innings ever. Lara on fire is a thrill to watch. His placement sets him above others.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 01:56:05 PM »
The score was actually 153.  ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 05:26:09 PM »
153 N.O. TO BE EXACT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 09:12:23 PM »
He deserve a extra boundary for the cover drive he hit to win it doh!!!  ;D
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
Lara upbeat ahead of Aus clash..
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 10:06:40 PM »
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/287250.html

The West Indies captain Brian Lara says his team will not crumble when they face the defending champions Australia in the opening match of the World Cup Super Eights in Antigua on Tuesday.

Both teams have had confident starts to the tournament, winning all three opening games, and they set up a mouth-watering opening to the second stage. Lara intends to fight fire with fire when the two sides meet at the new Sir Vivian Richards Stadium.

"I know it is a different class of opponents in the game on Tuesday, but we've played well against Australia in the recent past and we expect to do well if we play to our strengths," Lara said. West Indies beat Australia in the group phase of the Champions Trophy and also upstaged them in one match in the DLF Cup in Kuala Lumpur. Australia, though, did not stumble in the finals of both those tournaments.

However, Lara felt West Indies, buoyed by home support, were a better side now. "We are very consistent," he said. "We're building to the point where we want to get on to the bigger games, the Australians, the South Africans, the biggest teams in the tournament. So far we've performed really well. I'm proud of the guys."

The Australia captain Ricky Ponting was equally upbeat ahead of the clash. "The West Indies are a very dangerous team, they are on home soil, they should know these conditions very well and they have great crowd support from all over the Caribbean," Ponting said. "But it starts now. Every step you take in this tournament becomes more and more exciting."

© AFP
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lara upbeat ahead of Aus clash..
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 05:39:46 AM »
Why Lara looking like he just wake up stale drunk?
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 07:31:11 AM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 08:02:41 AM »
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 08:10:06 AM »
This is it boy ,this coulda be the finals oui !!Man I wish Sarwan was as dynamic as he was in the last world cup ,he could lead us rite tru them ,the last WC Pakistan had to hit him in the head ,and send him to hospital to stop him .He came back and still almost did it .

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 09:28:13 AM »

Rat, dais de man GAME face ;)
I go hate to see he angry face!
we all know that he gets his BAT to do his talking.

Go WI
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Brian Lara Thread
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 12:33:25 PM »
Brian Lara: My favourite things [/size]

Brian Lara is not here as a player this summer, but a fascinating new exhibition shows off the memorabilia that contributed to his unforgettable career. The former West Indies captain talked to Angus Fraser about bats, balls and jackets

THE INDEPENDENT

Published:Saturday, June 2007

England's bowlers are not missing Brian Lara, who retired from international cricket during the World Cup. England supporters, though, have the opportunity to remain on familiar terms with him in one sense, and to look closely at the bats with which he broke records and the memorabilia he has collected during his remarkable career at a wonderful exhibition at Lord's.

"These items have not exactly been collected by myself," Lara admitted as he gave me a personal tour of the exhibition. "When I walk away from scoring 375, of course I am going to take that bat out of my cricket bag and put it away. This, after all, is my world record bat. I have also got bats from other players. We would exchange a few things at the end of a series. Sometimes I swap bats with a player, sometimes a bit of kit, sometimes someone just gave me a bat with a message on it. Here I have bats with messages signed by Sachin [Tendulkar], Haydos [Matthew Hayden], Graeme Smith, Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff.

"I have accumulated a lot over the years, and visitors who come to see me in the Caribbean like to see them. They are normally on show in my house. My whole family knew the significance of Lord's from an early age, so to occupy some real estate here is a huge thrill."

It would be easy to believe that Lara's greatness was all down to natural talent. In fact, he worked as hard as any cricketer, and the curator at the Lord's museum became aware of his attention to detail as we looked around. Hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the colourful display is a huge circular construction with cricket balls hanging down from it. Each ball depicts where Lara scored runs during his world record total of 400. The balls signifying fours hang slightly lower than those showing ones and twos and the sixes even lower still.

There was a small empty rectangular area in the middle of it all to indicate where the pitch was and, after close inspection, Lara told them they had got it the wrong way round - that the pitch should be pointing in a different direction. He knew exactly where he scored his runs, where the sixes and fours had been hit, and what the wagon wheel should look like.

There is one innings, Lara's first Test hundred, that is not represented because he cannot find the bat with which he scored 277 against Australia in 1993. Lara would love to know where it is and get it back. I asked him whether he had a memento of the feat? He said: "Yes, my daughter." Lara's daughter, Sydney, is named after the venue where he announced himself as a great player as a 23-year-old.

There are two reasons why Lara agreed to the exhibition. First, to show it off. Second, to make people aware of the foundation set up in memory of his parents, the Pearl and Bunty Lara Foundation.

"The foundation is in my parents' name," he explained. "It is about six years old and it is fuelled by the characteristics of my parents really. My dad was outstanding with myself and my brothers and sisters. There were 11 of us and he had to provide for us all. My mother was less enthusiastic about cricket, she was more into caring. She was known as one of the mothers of the village I grew up in. She would invite any young kid into our house for food or anything she could offer.

"They were tremendous in our upbringing. It is just something we want to do to maintain their legacy. Over the years we have reached out to quite a few people. We have given money to cancer societies in Trinidad and to homes for the underprivileged."

The Brian Lara exhibition is open to those attending matches at Lord's, price £3, and to those who go on organised tours. To book, e-mail tours@mcc.org.uk.

The Jacket signed by Nelson Mandela

This jacket signed by Nelson Mandela is another of my most prized possessions. I was lucky enough to go and see him and I could not leave without getting something signed. I did not have anything so I took off the suit jacket I was wearing and asked him if he would sign it. I did not mind not being able to wear my Hugo Boss suit again.

I was aware of Nelson Mandela through my parents in the Seventies when I was a kid. He was a revered figure. I had a very good understanding of what he stood for as a child. The rebel tours by West Indian sides in the late Seventies and Eighties were also a significant part of my understanding of what was happening in South Africa. I sat with Mr Mandela for an hour and it was probably the best hour of my life, in terms of meeting him and being in his company. He is an amazing man.

The 366 Ball

The ball Lara hit to score his record-breaking 366th run in 1994, signed by the England bowlers who bowled at him that day)
When Lara pulled Chris Lewis for four to break Sir Garfield Sobers' world record score, a party like never before broke out at the Antigua Recreation Ground. Hundreds of spectators climbed over fences and ran on to the pitch as they rushed to congratulate their hero. Lara kissed the pitch, Sobers made his way to the middle - it took 10 to 15 minutes for the umpires, Darrell Hair and Steve Bucknor, to clear the ground.

With the playing area devoid of spectators, the umpires looked at each other, then the players, and asked: "Who has got the ball?" The square-leg fielder ran to the boundary and, amazingly, found the ball resting against the boundary rope.

At the end of the West Indian innings, I went into the umpires' room and asked if I could have the ball to give to Brian. They said they were going to use it as a spare. I told them it was a piece of cricket history. After signing it myself and then getting Andrew Caddick, Philip Tufnell, Graeme Hick and Lewis to sign it, I presented Lara with the ball at the end of the Test. Lara did not remember me giving him the ball but, after I had reminded him, he told the curator to "make sure the Fraser signature is showing when it is on display so that people can see that I smashed him about".

The 501 Helmet

The exhibition was being completed when I met Lara and he asked the curator what was to be put in one of the empty, clear Perspex containers . The curator told Lara that the signed blue helmet he wore when he scored 501 [for Warwickshire against Durham in 1994] would be placed in the box.

Lara did not seem overly pleased with the idea, suggesting that it would be better if the box contained things he wore while scoring 375 against England. Lara said that he was briefly returning to Trinidad and would bring back the shirt, boots and thigh guard he wore. His reaction left me in doubt as to which innings gave him the most pride.

The 28 Ball

On 14 December 2003 Robin Petersen, an unremarkable left-arm spinner, ran up to bowl the penultimate over of the third day's play for South Africa. Graeme Smith, the captain, attempting to lure Lara into a false shot, kept the field up at the Wanderers Ground in Johannesburg. It was too good an opportunity for Lara, who was unbeaten on 150, and he proceeded to smash the over for 28, breaking the world record for the number of runs scored in an over of Test cricket. Petersen presented Lara with the ball, signed by himself, at the end of the Test.

The first ball was cut to the cover-point boundary for four, the second and third struck mightily over long-on for six, the fourth and fifth smashed back over the bowler's head for four and the sixth deftly cut to the third-man boundary.

Graeme Smith brought on Petersen just before the close and after I hit the first ball for four he brought in mid-on. Then I hit the next ball for six and he brought in deep square-leg. I thought: "What was going on?" This was the last over of the day. He was trying to lure me and I suppose he would have settled for going for 10 to 15 runs to get me out. But it proved to be quite an expensive gamble.
Overseas Personality of the Year award from the 1994 BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards

Brian Lara won the award after breaking cricket's two most prestigious world records in a remarkable seven-week period. At the Antigua Recreation Ground on 18 April 1994 Lara passed Sir Garfield Sobers' world record Test score of 365, and then at Edgbaston on 6 June he broke Hanif Mohammad's record for the highest individual score - 499. Lara's unbeaten 501 came off 427 balls, containing 62 fours and 10 sixes.

In terms of recognition, the BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year award means most to me. It is a prized possession, especially when you look at the past winners. The likes of Muhammad Ali, Sir Garfield Sobers, and Michael Jordan before me and Tiger Woods since make it very, very special. These are awesome sportsmen to be considered on a par with.

The 375 Bat

On 12 April 2004, 10 years after initially breaking Sir Garfield Sobers' world record for the highest individual score in Test cricket, Lara reclaimed his throne from Matthew Hayden (who had made 380 for Australia v Zimbabwe in October 2003) with a brilliant unbeaten 400 against England. But it is the innings of 375 in 1994 of which he is proudest.

Of all my personal stuff the thing that means most to me is the bat that I scored 375 with in Antigua. I would not say that I had a favourite
bat. Obviously each of the bats I broke records with mean a lot but when you play at international level you keep getting the best from your manufacturer.

They all have a slightly different shape and weight. The one thing they must have is a very good, a very light pick-up - I must not feel much in my hands. Generally most of the bats that I use are not heavy. The grip is a very important factor as well. I use two rubbers.

I liked the Gray Nicholls scoop when I first started. I was a teenager. Gordon Greenidge and Jeffrey Dujon used to use them. It was the style, the in-thing, the new bat back in the late 1980s.

I would modify my bats slightly when they arrived. The early bats I got from Gray Nicholls had a spongy material underneath the rubber, and because of that I used one rubber. With my MRF bats, though, there is just a handle with thread wrapped around it and I would put two rubbers on them.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:39:57 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brian Lara: My Favorite Things
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 01:48:09 PM »
I use two rubbers.
Better safe dan sorry.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 01:18:38 PM »
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 06:41:23 PM »
When not used according to manufacture specifications
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Lara interested in WICB Presidency
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 12:26:31 AM »
http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/story/842589.html

Former West Indies captain Brian Lara is open to standing for the post of WICB president in future. Although Lara's expression of interest has come too late for the WICB elections scheduled this Saturday, his decision could still spell hope for Caribbean fans who have grown tired of the failures of the administration and the widening divide with its players.

Lara, one of the leading batsmen of his generation, said Azim Bassarath, Trinidad & Tobago Cricket Board president, had asked him whether he would have any interest in running for the WICB presidency. Currently doing commentary during the World Cup, Lara said what strengthened his resolve was the growing lack of faith in West Indies cricket from the outside world.

"Mr Bassarath had suggested that I should get involved and he and his board would seriously consider supporting me," Lara told the Trinidad Guardian. "I am here in Australia with most of the top administrators and players, and even they appear to be concerned at the state of our cricket. The way they speak is like they have little faith in our future. I am ready to get involved."

Lara has never been shy of taking on the administration. One of West Indies' greatest-ever players, Lara was involved in bitter disputes with the WICB during his days as a player and as captain. Lara brought a strong individuality to his batting, yet as captain he was never as successful - West Indies won only 10 of 47 Tests with him in charge, and 59 out of 125 ODIs. Yet with his batting Lara could united the Caribbean like no one else, and the possibility of him returning as an administrator could come as a happy move for the supporters of Caribbean cricket.

"If you are a West Indian, and understand what cricket means to us, you have to feel that we could do a lot better than we are currently doing," Lara said. "We have had so many talented young men coming up and suddenly, they just disappear off the scene, while our cricket continues to decline. Nobody appears to care about them."

Lara's criticism of the current WICB administration, led by Dave Cameron, had become increasingly vocal. Last November, speaking to ESPNcricinfo in Sydney, Lara said that West Indies' pullout from the India tour was a watershed moment. He said communication was missing between the administrators and players and without that trust West Indies cricket would face a lot of problems while continuing to languish at the bottom of the ICC rankings. Currently West Indies occupy the No. 8 spot in both Tests and ODIs.

Lara said he would always remain biased towards the players. "There's so much cricket being played now where players can make a living outside the West Indies under different administration. Yes maybe that could be a difference, but the ultimate thing is you're playing for the West Indies, you want to play for the West Indies, you love the West Indies. And I would love one day where guys are playing for West Indies and money not being an issue because they're making so much money outside of that.

"But that can only happen if you have the relationships with the board and all the stakeholders. There's no trust, everybody wants their piece of the pie and that's it. Unfortunately until we have better relationships, West Indies cricket is going to be very problematic."

Despite being in control for two years and once again a favourite to retain the presidency, Cameron has lost some original supporters, such as the TTCB. In the previous elections held in 2013, the T&T board led by Bassarath had supported Cameron. But this time it has opted to ally behind Joel Garner, the former West Indies fast bowler, who has cast his hat into the ring representing the Barbados Cricket Association.

Bassarath said the reason he approached Lara was because he was the "ideal person" for the job. "I believe that Brian would be an ideal person to lead West Indies cricket and, as a matter of fact, I approached him a few months ago about such a possibility," he said. "But unfortunately, he is too late for us to nominate him for the elections which will take place on Saturday. The constitution of the WICB does not allow us to nominate him at this late stage, since nominations closed one month before the elections.

"The presence of someone as great as Lara on the West Indies board can give us so much credibility and stature in the eyes of the rest of the world. It's a pity he is unable to be part of this year's process."
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: Lara interested in WICB Presidency
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »
de way de west indies team constituted, any prez ketchin' real horrors. instead of just one paceman aiming bouncers at your head is every nation. good luck dey mr lara.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lara interested in WICB Presidency
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »
Glutton for punishment!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brian Lara Thread
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 03:12:02 PM »
Brian Lara and Dwight Yorke to feature in CPL charity match

http://www.oneindia.com/sports/cricket/brian-lara-dwight-yorke-to-feature-cpl-charity-match-1794618.html

Basseterre (St. Kitts), July 2: Batting legend Brian Lara and outstanding former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke, will highlight the Caribbean Premier League charity match at Warner here. Lara, a former West Indies captain, will joined by Yorke, who won a historic three trophies in a season in 1999 with United, in the game which will be played between a Prime Minister of St Kitts and Nevis XI and the Sir Vivian Richards XI here on Thursday, reports CMC.

The game will also feature a plethora of former West Indies and international players, with Ian Bishop, Stuart Williams and Daren Ganga, along with Australian Damien Martyn and Englishman Darren Gough set to participate. Top West Indies women's batsman, Stafanie Taylor, will also be in action.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brian Lara Thread
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »

Brian Lara to stage clinic on eve of CPL final

West Indies batting legend Brian Lara will host a clinic here for thousands of children, ahead of the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) final later this month.

The former West Indies captain, a CPL Twenty20 ambassador, will stage the event on July 25 - the eve of the grand final at Queen’s Park Oval, reports CMC.

"Passing on my skills and experience to youngsters is something that has always been really important to me and I’m excited about this chance to work with all these talented kids in my home town," said Lara.

"CPL is all about inspiring West Indians of all ages to get excited about cricket again, and I hope events like this will help us find our next generation of cricketing legends."

Lara is considered by many as the finest batsman of the contemporary era, gathering 11 953 runs from 131 Tests at an average of 52. His career aggregate is the most by a West Indies batsman.

He scored 34 centuries and still holds the world records for the highest ever score in first-class cricket and the highest individual Test score in a Test innings.

Damien O’Donohoe, the CPL’s chief executive, said he was thrilled by the idea.

"Brian is a living legend and it’s going to be amazing to see the positive impact his masterclass will have on the local kids who will attend," O’Donohoe said.

"This year’s CPL has seen thousands of children entertained and inspired by the best cricketers from the West Indies and across the world. The CPL players have attended schools across the region, speaking to the children about what it takes to make it to the top of whatever profession they choose.

"Brian’s masterclass will be the perfect way to sign off this programme of events with the children of Trinidad and, fingers crossed, we may even identify the next Brian Lara while bringing the biggest party in sport to the Queen’s Park Oval."

The CPL bowled off on June 20 in Barbados and is currently ongoing.

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cricket/brian-lara-to-stage-clinic-on-eve-of-cpl-final_1626148.html

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brian Lara Thread
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 03:15:31 PM »

1]; } ?>