March 28, 2024, 11:43:49 AM

Author Topic: Caribbean/BWIA Airlines Thread.  (Read 139007 times)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Trinidad and Tobago unveils new airline
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2007, 11:56:59 AM »

AA make you wait a whole week to go home Bitter?
And tell you that you might have to pay extra too?   :o

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2007, 12:52:40 PM »
They make me wait 2 days, tell me that i have to find my own hotel and didn't offer anything by way of compensation

I was in Boston a time, as i walk up to the counter the first thing the woman from AA tell me was "we not paying for a hotel" I like what? to find out after that the flight canceled. Them was the first words out her mouth. You feel is only Bwee ppl rude?

I doh fly AA for personal trips, only when the company insist. And I've never had a negative experience no a BWEE flight (other than from rude trinis who feel they must show they a** on the plane to impress? who?)
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2007, 03:08:56 PM »
As Moses build he Ark, Ash Wednesday always have some bachannel in Piarco airport. As a regular Carnival masquardar you should know NEVER book your return flight on Ash Wedesday....Ash Friday or Saturday should be your best bet.

People doh call ahead to find out if dey flight cancel or on time anymore ?

The airline tell allyuh to come 3 hours prior to your flight. Is not because dey wicked, 3 hours is enough time to find out if your flight cancel because of the weather and over booking. You can't get vex with the people behind dey counter when it comes to the weather, and expect them to get a hotel FREE of charge for you also.

Over booking is another story....you could be frothing by dey mouth ya still ain't getting a flight out. Why cuss and carry on? All you have to do is ask for ah refund and go home, make ah overseas call to your boss and try ya damnest to explain. Sue dey airline for loss wages and your job. 

good luck in court

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2007, 04:23:35 PM »
On the news this afternoon Caribbean Airlines made a response

2 Passengers was causing all the bachannal one to JFK and the other to Heathrow

the first passenger was going NY and reach late and the flight was already closed and they put him standby on another flight.

the second passenger was a passenger who was taken from another carrier who was put on standby to barbados. That person left this afternoon.

There is always another half of a story in the press. Look out for the media response
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2007, 05:15:20 PM »
Yield Management is an inexact science.

A good yield manager will always Oversell, especially in the airline industry because a seat on a plane is the ultimate perishable item.

If it left unsold and plane leave, yuh could never get dat seat sold again.  NEVER.  It done.

So u not just oversell, but you also try to sell your seats at the highest possible rate on that day.

Leh we say passenger X books all the time with Airline A.  Pay dey usual US$375 special corporate rate to go T&T.  Jes so happen dis time is at Carnival.  High demand time.

Passenger Y never book wit Airline A before.  Passenger book early and pay US$400 on de Travelspan "Special" and travelin same dates as Passenger X.

Passenger Z also never book wit Airline A before.  Dem book last minute and pay US$800 to go T&T fuh Carnival.  Same dates as de oddah t2.

Same Airline.  Same Seat.  Same dates. 3 different rates.

Time to come back,  flight oversold.  Of de 3, who yuh tink sure to get a seat on de return flight?

Passenger X de repeat customer who pay de lowest fare?

Passenger Y de one time booker who pay a lil more?

Or Passenger Z also a one time booker who pay de highest fare?

If yuh had to pick 2 a dem to get on de flight, which one yuh wuld leff out?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2007, 06:05:07 PM »

CA say is just two passengers yuh say...and dem was the only two that get interview in the paper   ::)
Fishy.
Cah see Express writing the story on two people account alone...not even Express.  W will see what they come back with.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
Rectal exam a must at Caribbean Airlines
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2007, 11:37:14 PM »
Rectal exam a must at Caribbean Airlines

As part of their terms of employment, Caribbean Airlines flight attendants must undergo mandatory anal examinations, or risk being dismissed.

Viewed as a draconian policy by staff, the company’s demand that flight attendants submit to the rectal procedure is just one in a series of developments that have contributed to flagging employee morale.

It has been less than one year since Caribbean Airlines took over from BWIA, but in the last month the company has seen a series of resignations among top echelons of the finance department, including treasurer Shelly Woo.

The demand that flight attendants, both male and female, submit to anal exams has ignited anger among the affected staff.

While the blood and urine tests fall in line with standard requirements for many local employers, affected Caribbean Airlines employees feel the compulsory anal exams are unreasonable.

As part of their contracts, all flight attendants must sign an “Authorisation for Release of Medical Records” in which they agree to “submit to a medical examination or test relevant to my employment and to my fitness for, and performance of, my duties.”

Reference to a rectal examination, however, is not outlined in the document.

According to a well-placed source, employees were not advised of the need for the rectal procedure prior to the physical examination, or before signing the medical records authorisation.

The flight attendants, the source added, only learnt of the requirement during the medical examination, when they were instructed to curl up in a foetal position for the procedure.

The source also said flight attendants were not informed by management of the reason for the anal examination.

More than 80 flight attendants were listed for the exams. In a recent document, Director of In-Flight Services, Patricia Ramsey, instructed her subordinates to “comply with instructions” and report for the medicals—but the message makes no mention of the special requirement.

Action condemned

“An anal exam goes beyond finding out if one is healthy to work. If that is what Caribbean Airlines is doing, I, Curtis John, condemn that type of behaviour!” thundered the president general of the Aviation, Communication and Allied Workers Union (ACAWU).

“The management of Caribbean Airlines must stop that behaviour they are carrying on with in this day and age,” he added during a telephone interview yesterday morning.

John said mandatory anal exams were never a requirement for employment as a flight attendant with an airline in Trinidad and Tobago.

“That is contrary to normal industry relations practice in Trinidad and Tobago…I am not sure why they would request that, but it is interfering with people’s democratic and constitutional rights,” he said.

While John said he could not think of any job related reason why the flight attendants should submit to an anal exam, he did speculate that it may be an intimidation tactic being used by the airline’s management.

“I told the nation come the end of September, Caribbean Airlines would get rid of flight attendants. This is one way of approaching that plan,” he said.

John also said Caribbean Airline workers were afraid to speak out on many of the issues they faced in the company, including the mandatory rectal examinations.

“The workers are in such a position they cannot divulge information between themselves and the company,” he revealed.

As a part of their employment, all Caribbean Airlines employees must sign a confidentiality agreement.

“Staff are so intimidated they are afraid to join a union or divulge information to a trade union,” he said.

“They may feel withholding information will be to their good, but in the long run they will regret not giving the information to save them from the practices being carried out by Caribbean Airlines,” John added.

He said once the flight attendants signed the contracts, they had little recourse.

“If they want to go in secret and sign a contract without seeking advice they will pay the price for it. It is sad for them, because once they have signed there is no recourse for them, because it is what they signed to.”

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Rectal exam a must at Caribbean Airlines
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2007, 06:47:20 AM »
I hear bout dis on I95.5 fm dis morning......but it was just made mention in passing....dey about to talk about it detail now....

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:06:06 AM by brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2007, 07:05:21 AM »
OK....dey now done talk to de Communications person at Caribbean Airlines......

He say....dat de flight attendants and Pilots.....have always been subjected to a medical examination including standard stuff like ears, eyes, etc etc.

Apparently, a hemorrhoids test was done, an EXTERNAL test not internal, was done.  The communications guy said that this test was always done, implying that it was being done since BWEE days. 

So he said, in response to a question, that the employees that were there from BWEE days were not the ones protesting this test, but newer employees who had the exam done for the first time were the ones who made noise. 

He said the company immediately moved to stop the EXTERNAL exams and is going to undertake a complete review of the medical tests being done on its employees.

He also said the Guardian never contacted them for Caribbean Airlines' side of the story....

There, ah sell it like ah buy it......
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:12:27 AM by brownsugar »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2007, 07:11:16 AM »
Brown Sugar thanks for that
I go have to check wid my brudda an see what he have to say
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2007, 09:01:25 AM »

I could tell from the first time I read the article they didn't contact CA....probably because they damn well knew what the answer was and it woulda kill their story.

There should be a compilation of these irresponsible half baked articles suffering from bad journalism that published at the end of the year with an explanation why it made the list....and give the authors a space to respond with what they dispute.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamaica PM flies in for Air Jamaica /CAL talks
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2009, 08:56:47 AM »
Jamaica PM flies in for Air Jamaica /CAL talks
NADALEEN SINGH
Published: 17 Dec 2009
http://guardian.co.tt/news/general/2009/12/17/jamaica-pm-flies-air-jamaica-cal-talks

Jamaican Prime Minister Bruce Golding flew into Trinidad yesterday to hold emergency talks on Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines aimed at securing the approval of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for a US$1.2 billion loan that would be a lifeline for the sinking Jamaican economy.

The IMF has insisted that Jamaica divest Air Jamaica as a conditionality of the loan. Golding is expected to announce the agreement with the IMF in a highly anticipated speech today and the surprise visit to Trinidad on eve of his address was immediately taken by Jamaican sources to mean that the merger or acquisition of Air Jamaica by Caribbean Airlines was discussed.

There was no acknowledgment of the relationship between Golding’s visit and the imminent IMF agreement in a statement put out by T&T’s Office of the Prime Minister, which said only that the talks “related to both Caribbean air carriers.” Trade and Industry Minister Mariano Browne has confirmed that a meeting to discuss Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines Ltd took place yesterday at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s. According to a release from the Office of the Prime Minister, issued at 6.02 pm, Jamaica Prime Minister Bruce Golding and a high level delegation from Jamaica met with Acting Prime Minister Dr Lenny Saith, Finance Minister Karen Tesheira and Browne. Golding left T&T following the meeting.

In a brief phone call last evening, Browne said: “The meeting did take place and the talks took place, but I cannot disclose further. Whatever is in the press release is the only information to be released.” Ian Brunton, chief executive officer, Caribbean Airlines, said he was not part of the talks and could not divulge any information. But in an interview with the Business Guardian in October, Brunton said talks about a possible merger between Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines were ongoing.

“If Air Jamaica comes—it did come—we were asked to bid on it by the government of Jamaica. We did. It appears we were not winners in that process, but it has not settled yet because the government of Jamaica has not made up its mind yet. It can still happen,” Brunton had said.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica PM flies in for Air Jamaica /CAL talks
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2009, 07:33:19 PM »
Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2009, 09:46:24 PM »
dese days everybody lookin for a bailout

Golding should approach Obama or Oprah
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2009, 08:55:14 AM »
I was doing some reading about JA and the public service salary cut. The IMF have the government balls in a vice grip. The PM promised early in the year that he would do everything in his power to maintain jobs and salaries. Then they had to access emergency funding to the tune of more than USD 1 billion. The conditions of the loan comes right out of IMF hatchetman guidebook.

Golding had to annouce the closure and merger of several public service departments and pay cuts across the board. If I recall correctly he (PM Golding) took a pay cut of 20 % and asked his Cabinet to take 10 %.

The international recession hit Jamaica really tough because their major income earners are the tourism industry and money remitted by expatriates. They were trying to hold on to AJ for a while now. It looks like they trying iron a deal with the T&T government.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2009, 09:36:43 AM »
The last thing we need is for Manning and dem to rush into an aquisition without proper due diligence. I read that Air JA just lose US$1B plus have some other ridiculous amount of debt.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2009, 09:53:18 AM »
Funny how the USA can always spend its way out of a recession and everyone else is supposed to conduct a fire sale and live in a one-room flat next to the tracks.

As for the prospects of a merger, regionally it makes sense to have 1 long-haul and one inter-island airline service. I think you want to ensure that you can move about without having to rely on someone else. I'm not sure either airline is big enough to realize efficiencies, I don't think the routes overlap.

If you think that the finances are more important than the service, then let it go,  but then you rely on outside parties to give you access to fly. They go down too, Pan Am? Eastern?

From the article though, it looks like CAL bid on Air Jamaica and lost, but Jamaica prefers T&T to run the airline rather than whoever emerged at the top of that process. The meeting was probably something along the lines of "ay Patos, give CAL some cash so they could bid more. When we get back on we feet we go buy it back! Dollar Rescue to the Rescue!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2009, 09:55:45 AM »
I was doing some reading about JA and the public service salary cut. The IMF have the government balls in a vice grip. The PM promised early in the year that he would do everything in his power to maintain jobs and salaries. Then they had to access emergency funding to the tune of more than USD 1 billion. The conditions of the loan comes right out of IMF hatchetman guidebook.

Golding had to annouce the closure and merger of several public service departments and pay cuts across the board. If I recall correctly he (PM Golding) took a pay cut of 20 % and asked his Cabinet to take 10 %.

The international recession hit Jamaica really tough because their major income earners are the tourism industry and money remitted by expatriates. They were trying to hold on to AJ for a while now. It looks like they trying iron a deal with the T&T government.

Cosignnnnnnnnnn
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2009, 10:11:57 AM »
Funny how the USA can always spend its way out of a recession and everyone else is supposed to conduct a fire sale and live in a one-room flat next to the tracks.

As for the prospects of a merger, regionally it makes sense to have 1 long-haul and one inter-island airline service. I think you want to ensure that you can move about without having to rely on someone else. I'm not sure either airline is big enough to realize efficiencies, I don't think the routes overlap.

If you think that the finances are more important than the service, then let it go,  but then you rely on outside parties to give you access to fly. They go down too, Pan Am? Eastern?

From the article though, it looks like CAL bid on Air Jamaica and lost, but Jamaica prefers T&T to run the airline rather than whoever emerged at the top of that process. The meeting was probably something along the lines of "ay Patos, give CAL some cash so they could bid more. When we get back on we feet we go buy it back! Dollar Rescue to the Rescue!
That is exactly whats going on.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2009, 10:29:01 AM »
As usual trinidad trying to bail out jamaica then dey does turn around on heap scorn on we.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »
As usual trinidad trying to bail out jamaica then dey does turn around on heap scorn on we.

ENTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
COSIGNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2009, 08:44:34 PM »
I knew the innuendos would start to fly soon.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2009, 10:14:14 PM »
dem jkans sound like dey under real pressure boy.  I hope they pull thru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2009, 11:19:51 PM »
I knew the innuendos would start to fly soon.

D gospel truth u know how we get back d mney frm d 70's and 80's d central bank in JA wuld give mona students dey allowance. Dey use 2 take dey cool time 2 issue d money.   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:58:26 AM by weary1969 »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2009, 01:16:56 AM »

What does the US have to do with anything?  I doh really have a dog in this fight but it always tickles me... the reflexive US bashing.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2009, 05:21:40 AM »
In his presentation in the House last night Rowley warned the government about wanting to saddle T&T taxpayers with a sick airline (Air Jamaica), having just rescued BWEE from being grounded permanently.  He said when T&T was looking for help with BWEE we got none and had to fix the problem ourselves.  Why should we now want to burden T&T tax payers with a potentially new headache.

Oh btw, the Parliament Channel makes for very interesting viewing some times....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2009, 06:02:13 AM »
In his presentation in the House last night Rowley warned the government about wanting to saddle T&T taxpayers with a sick airline (Air Jamaica), having just rescued BWEE from being grounded permanently.  He said when T&T was looking for help with BWEE we got none and had to fix the problem ourselves.  Why should we now want to burden T&T tax payers with a potentially new headache.

Oh btw, the Parliament Channel makes for very interesting viewing some times....

Who Rowley did expect 2 help we wit BWEE. We is d C'bb godfadder. Not dat I sayin 2 bail out Air JA. But again I say if yuh vex wit d PNM LEAVE. Doh b in d people party and opposin evry minute. Ryan poll say peeps want u as leader go up again Patos yuh go win this time and take ovah d party and save we.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2009, 07:32:20 AM »

I don't think our government should take that debt either. AJ can continue to operate with private investment. They are just more confident that the T&T government won't screw them. If anything it is endorsement of T&T's record as a partner in CARICOM.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »

Who Rowley did expect 2 help we wit BWEE. We is d C'bb godfadder. Not dat I sayin 2 bail out Air JA. But again I say if yuh vex wit d PNM LEAVE. Doh b in d people party and opposin evry minute. Ryan poll say peeps want u as leader go up again Patos yuh go win this time and take ovah d party and save we.

Nah  he should stay right dey and remind Patrick why he is an idiot....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2009, 10:28:53 AM »
ah merger would be OK wid me
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>