March 28, 2024, 06:42:03 AM

Author Topic: Warren Archibald  (Read 37589 times)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: Warren Archibald
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2006, 09:14:31 AM »
Every single thing your friend said about Archibald is true. In Haiti, we believe that he was the greatest football player from Trinidad. He also distinguished himself in what was back then the US major league. I was quite surprised to find out that the present trini generation knows almost nothing about the guy.

Archibald was pretty much like Hugo Sanchez, one who would always find a way to score (even with his hands!). We even had a carnival song that said : 'Archibald, look what you did to Mexico / Mexicans will stop bragging...'

I am glad your friend told you how Haitians in general feel about that great former footballer and how the TnT national team is viewed in Haiti.

SUPA, as a Pointman ;D and die hard Civic Centre fan and who has seen Warren 'Laga" Archibald play I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that he was absolutely FANTASTIC. Incredible ball control and vision...just fantastic. I even have Haitian pardners who sing his praises. Ah even bounce up ah old man from Honduras who after he find out ah from Trini couldn't talking about Archie. De man was boss!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 09:17:34 AM »
Is Warren Archibald still alive.... just curious

Yes, he is alive and well. Ah lime wit him in Germany. He does talk passionately about football.

In Dusseldorf airport on de way back to T&T

In Kaiserlautern before de game against Paraguay

In Kaiserlautern before de game against Paraguay. Posing with Philbert Jones (Strike Squad) and some members from the 73 Squad (Selris Figaro, Steve David, Tony Douglas etc.)

Tallman de man holding the flag is Wilfred" bound to score" Cave.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 09:27:16 AM by Pointman »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2006, 09:22:48 AM »
Is Warren Archibald still alive.... just curious
;D very much alive ;D Archie cyar dead ;)

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2006, 03:04:04 PM »
Every single thing your friend said about Archibald is true. In Haiti, we believe that he was the greatest football player from Trinidad. He also distinguished himself in what was back then the US major league. I was quite surprised to find out that the present trini generation knows almost nothing about the guy.

Archibald was pretty much like Hugo Sanchez, one who would always find a way to score (even with his hands!). We even had a carnival song that said : 'Archibald, look what you did to Mexico / Mexicans will stop bragging...'

I am glad your friend told you how Haitians in general feel about that great former footballer and how the TnT national team is viewed in Haiti.

SUPA, as a Pointman ;D and die hard Civic Centre fan and who has seen Warren 'Laga" Archibald play I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that he was absolutely FANTASTIC. Incredible ball control and vision...just fantastic. I even have Haitian pardners who sing his praises. Ah even bounce up ah old man from Honduras who after he find out ah from Trini couldn't talking about Archie. De man was boss!!!

Pointman, wid de opportunities available tuh dis generation of T&T players, like scouts etc, yuh think Archibald wid ah make T&T proud by playing in ah top league, like EPL and La Liga?
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2006, 03:42:14 PM »

Pointman, wid de opportunities available tuh dis generation of T&T players, like scouts etc, yuh think Archibald wid ah make T&T proud by playing in ah top league, like EPL and La Liga?

Absolutely!! he did play professionally( I believe here in the US...calling Tallman). He had as much skill if not more than our current players and he had incredible pace with the ball on his feet. The EPL wouldna know what to do with him. He didn't play with his back to the goal, he would run right at defenders and leave dem out. Let Coops enlightening yuh some more. Coops actually played against him.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2006, 04:05:31 PM »
Absolutely!! he did play professionally( I believe here in the US...calling Tallman). He had as much skill if not more than our current players and he had incredible pace with the ball on his feet. The EPL wouldna know what to do with him. He didn't play with his back to the goal, he would run right at defenders and leave dem out. Let Coops enlightening yuh some more. Coops actually played against him.

Yes, he played in de NASL for 9 seasons with Rochester Lancers, Miami Toros, Washington Darts and New York Generals. He was the MVP in de NASL in 1973 and made the All-League First team that year. He  (along with Steve David) is also listed as an honourable mention for the All Time NASL MVP. In 1970, 1971 and 1974 he made the NASL All-League Second teams.

He is 25th (Leroy DeLeon is number 26) on the NASL's top all-time goalscorers list with 58 goals in 162 games. He is 48th on the NASL's top all-time assist leaders with 39 assists.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2006, 04:10:09 PM »

Yes, he played in de NASL for 9 seasons with Rochester Lancers, Miami Toros, Washington Darts and New York Generals. He was the MVP in de NASL in 1973 and made the All-League First team that year. He  (along with Steve David) is also listed as an honourable mention for the All Time NASL MVP. In 1970, 1971 and 1974 he made the NASL All-League Second teams.

He is 25th (Leroy DeLeon is number 26) on the NASL's top all-time goalscorers list with 58 goals in 162 games. He is 48th on the NASL's top all-time assist leaders with 39 assists.

Thank you Tallman

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »

Thank you Tallman

I forgot to add that he also played in Mexico (Club San Luis) and Haiti (Victory).

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2006, 05:16:16 PM »
Archibald,Gally, de Leon,Steve David, Rondon and Lincoln all could have played in top leagues in Europe if given the opportunity. Look at the players they were rubbing shoulders with in the 70's on NASL all-star teams.
Neesken's, Beckenbauer,Carlos Alberto,George Best, Pele etc. True enough these players were semi retired but our players were around the same age also and producing on the field . :beermug:

http://home.att.net/~nasl/all-stars.htm

http://home.att.net/~nasl/leaders.htm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 10:40:19 PM by takenoprisoners »

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2006, 07:45:03 PM »
Archibald,Gally, de Leon,Steve David, Rondon and Lincoln all could have played in top leagues in Europe if given the opportunity. Look at the players they were rubbing shoulders with in the 70's on NASL all-star teams.
Neesken's, Beckenbauer,Carlos Alberto,George Best, Pele etc. True enough these players were semi retired but our players were around the same age also and producing on the field . :beermug:

http://home.att.net/~nasl/all-stars.htm

... :applause: :applause: :applause:  FUH REAL !!!
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2006, 07:51:13 PM »
Thanks to everybody for all de information on Mr Archibald, I learnt a lot from you all about him. If only ah cud ah see ah tape on him, dat would really be great. Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2006, 09:55:08 AM »

Thank you Tallman

I forgot to add that he also played in Mexico (Club San Luis) and Haiti (Victory).

Oops! I was going to keep that piece of info to myself. Growing up as a kid, I saw the guy scored several times against my favorite team, Violette AC. The guy was just as popular as Emmanuel Sanon in Haiti and he was not considered a foreigner.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:59:02 AM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 10:58:51 PM »
Archibald with the Toros at 0:15 (vs Rowdies in 1975)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qf_m2hNJf-k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Qf_m2hNJf-k</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 09:23:39 AM »

I swear Facenda would make even Chess sound like an epic sporting spectacle.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2010, 11:31:33 AM »
I feel e-man wukkin in ah CIA field office oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2010, 11:57:07 AM »
That was the Era - Steve David - Warren Archibald -dont forget Leroy Deleon

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 08:25:25 AM »

Can't really blame the fans now a days for not knowing anything about Archibald and company if they themselves couldn't careless.

I called this guy no less that 10 times trying to link up with him, I didn't even get a call back.

They have to understand that this site is not to benefit us here financially, but its an encyclopedia for T&T football where everyone can enjoy for free for generations to come.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »
This may not be the best post for this is just that since it have so much Point men on here i'll give it a try,does anyone know anything about Keith Douglas,this guy played with Defence Force one year and was such an influence in my career as a player,he left DF and i never heard about him again just he still living in Point,if anyone have any contacts for him please PM me,ph,email,address etc it will be greatly apprecaited.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 12:49:03 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qf_m2hNJf-k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Qf_m2hNJf-k</a>

BTW that #19 is Selris Figaro at 1:14 and 1:25

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 01:17:35 PM »
Great player was Warren Archibald and is true...Haitains think very highly of him.

Interesting that while Latas and Leonson are considered the best T&T footballers by this jamaican generation, Tony Douglas was considered the best ever by many yardies of the previous generation.

Anybody with thoughts on Tony Douglas?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 01:20:08 PM »
Great player was Warren Archibald and is true...Haitains think very highly of him.

Interesting that while Latas and Leonson are considered the best T&T footballers by this jamaican generation, Tony Douglas was considered the best ever by many yardies of the previous generation.

who de fck is tony douglas?

i feeling like a football baby asking this
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »

http://www.ttfootballhistory.com/taxonomy/term/197

St. Benedict's, PFCC, LA Aztecs, SJ Earthquakes, Utah Golden Spikers, California Sunshine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2010, 01:47:09 PM »

If I not mistaken, he was a member of that T&T 73 team as well.

De jamaicans used to call him "trini" Douglas
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2010, 02:30:14 PM »

Is ah family of ballers. Neville (father), Monty, Tony, Keith...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »

If I not mistaken, he was a member of that T&T 73 team as well.

De jamaicans used to call him "trini" Douglas

And in south known as Crapaud  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2010, 04:42:17 PM »

Breds, you don't have to raise your blood pressure to ask a simple question if you don't know who Tony Douglas is.
         I think we Trinis miss out on Tony because from Benedicts he attended a technical school in Jamaica for some years,as a matter of fact Jamaicans knew him more than us,i never played against Tony but the little i saw of him he was the workhorse Midfielder on that team that went to Haiti (ball winner).
          Don't worry you are not a Football baby,this forum is here to help peeps like you,no question is shytty.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2010, 07:49:15 PM »
Daiz a classic reply Coop's. Real classic allrong reply wit' good humour. Yuh real come dong like a smoot' operator dey.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 08:30:34 AM »

Breds, you don't have to raise your blood pressure to ask a simple question if you don't know who Tony Douglas is.
         I think we Trinis miss out on Tony because from Benedicts he attended a technical school in Jamaica for some years,as a matter of fact Jamaicans knew him more than us,i never played against Tony but the little i saw of him he was the workhorse Midfielder on that team that went to Haiti (ball winner).
          Don't worry you are not a Football baby,this forum is here to help peeps like you,no question is shytty.

nah my blood pressure ent raise... i say it more in ah "but wha de hell... how i never hear dat name before" kinda way...

than a "who de fck is ricardo fuller" kinda way
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2010, 09:47:07 AM »

nah my blood pressure ent raise... i say it more in ah "but wha de hell... how i never hear dat name before" kinda way...

than a "who de fck is ricardo fuller" kinda way

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »

I used to watch them guys play on a regular every Sunday during football season. Tony and the rest of the Douglas family(Monty, Mello) was straight dope!! It was a joy to watch dem mash up dem town teams like Malvern and TESCA and the rest. Then dem fellas became muslims and one setta schism start taking place in the team.

1]; } ?>