April 24, 2024, 02:55:03 PM

Author Topic: Beckenbauer issues 2010 warning  (Read 5003 times)

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Beckenbauer issues 2010 warning
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:55:54 AM »
bbc.co.uk

Beckenbauer issues 2010 warning 

Beckenbauer's claims are likely to infuriate many South Africans
Franz Beckenbauer believes organisers of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa are facing serious problems.
"The organisation for the World Cup in South Africa is beset by big problems," the German legend claimed.

"But these are not South African problems - these are African problems.

"People are working against rather than with each other," said the Kaiser, chairman of the 2006 World Cup organising committee.

But Beckenbauer ruled out the possibility of Germany taking over the 2010 tournament if the mounting problems proved too much for South Africa.

"There are emergency solutions, but Germany is not one of them, there are enough other solutions," added the 61-year-old in comments likely to infuriate South Africans.

Beckenbauer's claims come just days after Fifa president announced that he would travel to South Africa to urge lawmakers to speed up building work.

Blatter said he would meet President Thabo Mbeki and "explain the value of the World Cup" to the country's parliament.

The Fifa chief also advised South Africans not to take up offers of help from British, French, German, or other experts involved in organising previous World Cups.

I heard it mentioned before, that if they do not get their act together, USA is a candidate for hosting it, ...

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Beckenbauer issues 2010 warning
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 11:04:19 AM »
i want the 2010 world cup to be in south africa.....it will mean alot to the people,  not just south africa but the whole of africa. with all the havoc going on in certain countries,  this world cup could be the solution for stopping everything.

The Fifa chief also advised South Africans not to take up offers of help from British, French, German, or other experts involved in organising previous World Cups.

i think that this is stupid.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 11:24:13 AM »
usa...i doh mind at all.....sorry

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 11:31:50 AM »
usa...i doh mind at all.....sorry

You could see dat shot coming ah mile away!!!!!!!   :devil: :devil: :devil:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 11:46:34 AM »
I wonder if this story is just sensationalism. But then again its coming from BBC.

This would be a massive embarrassment for SA and Africa as a whole. But I'm sure they will get things done. I don't know why Blatter would advise against them seeking technical assistance from other countries. My feeling is most of these big sporting events have problems. We need to know just what are problems and identify solutions to them.
The comments are too vague. The article just says that the project is beset with problems. What are the problems ? Furthermore, who are these entities who are not coorperating ?

I wouldn't read too much into it at this point. We need more information.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 11:55:09 AM »
This article is really to vague and I would say the media is just stirring things up as they tend to do. There have been some details on south african news outlets on the problems, but hopefully they can be overcome. Germany had plenty of bad press too with security, tickets, etc, etc, leading up to the Cup. So far nothing special that South African's should take offense at I don't believe.

Blatter probably doesn't want other Europeans involved so he can quietly take all the kickbacks, etc. for himself without them seeing and exposing him. Maybe he'll suggest Jack as a "special advisor" instead :devil:

Offline rowdy

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 12:48:44 PM »

I just saw this reverse article, but do not ask me what "sid" is  ???

FIFA asks DFB for assistance for the WC 2010
The WC 2010 does not take place in Germany again, but at least in the organization of the tournament in South Africa German knowledge is to be used.

Horst R. Schmidt, Vize of the organisation committee of the WC 2006, should come to the aid of the hosts of the first African WC on request of the FIFA. According to sid information there was a discussion between the FIFA, the South African organizing committee and Schmidt last Saturday.
[...]
With the call for assistance of the German organisation committee, FIFA president Joseph S. Blatter indirectly confirms reports of sid, who had referred to discrepancies between the beautiful plans and the reality in South Africa already right after the WC. These reports were officially disclaimed by the FIFA at that time. Now Blatter criticized to see neither shovel nor pickaxe in South Africa.

http://www.gmx.net/de/themen/sport/fussball/international/2940976.html

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 03:25:30 PM »
The major copncenr seems to be the pace of preparations.  Germany seemed to be ready way ahead, even ahead of Japan and Korea.  Then, the logistics have to be on point.  This is the World's greatest event, so it has to be right, so that haters of the game cyar get nothing to bad mouth about.  I say they should use all technical expertise possible.  Maybe Beckenbauer want ah wok, so he using the news a way to say to the South Africans "Hire meh as ah consultant for 2010."   There could be some personal business agendas attached to that statement.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 04:37:11 PM »
South Africa will get it right.  FIFA recognizes a need for the African Continent to host a successfull World Cup.

Anyone wanting the USA to host the World Cup obviously did not experience the World Cup in 1994.  It was the worst.  I remember walking to the games and the average American in the streets was clueless as to what was going on.  I remember my neighbor not knowing the tournament was being held in the US.  There was no vibes.  I said that before experienceing Germany and after experiencing a World Cup in a football crazy country, I validated what I thought.  The US can host the World Cup with all of the logistics involved (stadiums, transportations, accomodations, etc.) in the last minute but Americans will never get football (Soccer).

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline DrHerbalist

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 07:18:22 PM »
it appears to me that they are always trying to de-stablize an African country,,,,what do you think?????

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 07:58:09 PM »
I remember reading a similar article I believe on FIFA website right before they had the ceremony in Berlin I believe to officially hand the reigns over to South Africa, where Beckenbauer was basically saying that SouthAfrica was not prepared to host the World Cup and Germany was willing to host it again (I might be wrong, but thats what I believe I read).  Honestly, if they aint ready to host I doh give ah shit if is Trinidad or South Africa, I had  time in Germany and spent some good money, so I want everything to be in place.  Either they get their act together or the pass it on the somebody ho could handle it.  As for the good ole USA, hell no.  That will set football back another 10 years.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 11:34:57 PM »
What exactly does Becks mean by its not a S. African problem but rather a African problem.. I'd say sounds like discrimination and border-line racism to me.  If its in Africa chances are....... what it might not be well organised?  To much Violence? what de f**k dis dude talking about?
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 04:34:14 AM »
sad to say but they are not ready .....I work with a couple of south africans and the stories they tell me about transport etc and the stadiums. They believe they are way behind and need to really buck up to organize in time
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

1]; } ?>