March 28, 2024, 11:52:20 AM

Author Topic: Parreira not taking S==t from South Africa  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Parreira not taking S==t from South Africa
« on: September 12, 2006, 09:35:53 AM »

...and all yuh think we have it bad, imagine they hosting de cup:rotfl: Check this out

TOUGH-talking national soccer team coach Carlos Alberto Parreira launched an extraordinary attack on the South African Football Association (Safa) yesterday that left his new employers with red faces.

The ink had hardly dried on the outspoken Brazilian's contract when Parreira showed he was not afraid to tell the media -- in front of Safa vice-president Chief Mwelo Nonkonyana and CEO Raymond Hack -- that he would never tolerate the kind of interference that is believed to have led to the departure of previous Bafana Bafana coaches.

"The moment I feel that I am not happy, I will say 'thank you very much, bye-bye'," a frank Parreira said, with Nonkonyana and Hack quietly looking on.

"I never accept interference. If there is, I walk. They (Safa) have had 13 coaches in 14 years! That is not a very good record for a football association. It is not a good record at all."

The many men who have steered the Bafana ship include incumbent Pitso Mosimane, Ted Dumitru, Stuart Baxter, April "Styles" Phumo, Ephraim "Shakes" Mashaba, Kenneth "Conti" Kubheka, Jomo Sono, Carlos Queiroz, Trott Moloto, Philippé Troussier, Clive Barker, Augusto Palacios and Stanley "Screamer" Tshabalala.

Parreira continued the offensive and said he was astounded when he found out that the nation's youth structures had been allowed to crumble into dust over the past few years.

"When they told me that there are no youth leagues here, I could not believe it. How can a country that wants to be a powerhouse not have proper development structures?

"The picture we have is not the best possible. Where are we going to find the players to build the national team for the 2010 World Cup if we do not have the proper youth structures?"

The Brazilian's observation contradicted years of misleading information from Safa that claimed the youth structures were in excellent condition.

Parreira -- who revealed he did not have any conditions attached to his contract with Safa -- said he was disturbed by the intense debate that has surrounded his R1,8m-a-month salary.

"The fact is, I did not come here for the money. After spending 40 years of my life as a coach at the top level, it would not have made any difference to me financially if I came here or not.

"It was because SA is the country that will host the next World Cup on African soil for the first time. And if I feel at any point that (my salary) is a problem, I am ready to leave right away."

The Brazilian then turned his attention to perennial Bafana stayaways Benni McCarthy and Quinton Fortune and said he would get to the bottom of the two English-based players' tendency to turn down call-ups.

"For the World Cup, all good players have to be considered to play. I think that the country will benefit from Benni's skill if he is willing to play. (So) I will not take any position on him until I have spoken to him."

The Premier Soccer League (PSL) was not spared either. Parreira said the current rules that allow five foreign players to be fielded at the same time would undermine all efforts to rebuild the national team. "Maybe, instead of playing five foreigners in the PSL, we need to allow just three to give South African players a chance to play. How can local players be expected to develop if they cannot play?"

Relevant Links

Southern Africa
Soccer
South Africa

Parreira warned that the resuscitation of SA's football would be no easy task and that the nation would have to exercise extreme patience during these growing pains.

"Patience will be the key word because there will definitely be ups and downs along the way. There will be traps, there will be bad moments, but the focus should be 2010. There is lot of work ahead and it is going to be a huge challenge."

But he added that the period between now and 2010 should be enough to build a decent team if all the shortcomings were resolved.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Parreira not taking S==t from South Africa
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 09:44:15 AM »
When yuh big yuh could talk so............... dat goes for any profession

Cause yuh know yuh could always get ah wukk somewhey

Even man without big name could get ah wukk elsewhere

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/5316744.stm
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 09:54:45 AM »
When yuh big yuh could talk so............... dat goes for any profession

Cause yuh know yuh could always get ah wukk somewhey

Even man without big name could get ah wukk elsewhere

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/5316744.stm

Damn right  :beermug:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 10:50:46 AM »
April "Styles" Phumo
Ephraim "Shakes" Mashaba,
Stanley "Screamer" Tshabalala.

I eh think I ever hear of a coach with them kinda names eh

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 10:56:33 AM »
Remind meh exactly of de speech Beenie did give when he was first appointed. 

Any interference and I walk.

Matter of fact..in addition to dat it have

No youth structure

Debate about he salary

Close yuh eye and yuh could substitute T&T fuh SA

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 11:05:23 AM »

No youth structure

Debate about he salary

took the words out of my mouth on this one Palos.
Even worse is that a coach can point out our shortcomings with no responsibility to change them ....

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 11:08:45 AM »

No youth structure

Debate about he salary

Even worse is that a coach can point out our shortcomings with no responsibility to change them ....

But Jai....every day you point out our football shortcomings (and rightfully so) yet you have no responsibility for changing them.  The man was hired to coach the National football team, not to reform the TTFF.  Doesn't mean he cannot point out the obstacles that hinder him from doing his job properly. 

All other National coaches, local or foreign, have done the same I might add without the responsibility to change those shortcomings.  What's the difference now?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 11:15:01 AM »

No youth structure

Debate about he salary

Jai...you like to beat a dead horse. Well said palos. Go ahead Jai..keep grinding that axe  :-\

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 11:18:39 AM »
It is really shocking to see where the Bafana Bafana are right now.  That federation is in shambles, afte rprobably being the top African siade for a while.  Whey boy!  But they have the right man in charge.  Just let de man get down to his work.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 11:25:29 AM »

No youth structure

Debate about he salary

But Jai....every day you point out our football shortcomings (and rightfully so) yet you have no responsibility for changing them.  The man was hired to coach the National football team, not to reform the TTFF.  Doesn't mean he cannot point out the obstacles that hinder him from doing his job properly. 

All other National coaches, local or foreign, have done the same I might add without the responsibility to change those shortcomings.  What's the difference now?

When  I read that money whch could be sent on increasing pensioners income going into football I must ask what is going on ! maybe there are those who could sit by and say nothing but I cant. Where does the national coach begin ? What has he done so far ? Even if he is only suppsed to work with players who he deems workable or trainable is he at least doing that ? is there a group that he is woking with locally to bring them up to nternational standards or close to it ?
is he being paid his salary while Rome is burning ?

As far as i know every national coach before Beenhakker had had to work to improve the local players, has that now changed or has just not yet begun ?
I f you have more info on those matters kindly inform me as my concern is that we are being taken for a ride and I am not seeing anything to convince me otherwise.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 12:11:44 PM »
When  I read that money whch could be sent on increasing pensioners income going into football I must ask what is going on ! maybe there are those who could sit by and say nothing but I cant. Where does the national coach begin ? What has he done so far ? Even if he is only suppsed to work with players who he deems workable or trainable is he at least doing that ? is there a group that he is woking with locally to bring them up to nternational standards or close to it ?
is he being paid his salary while Rome is burning ?

As far as i know every national coach before Beenhakker had had to work to improve the local players, has that now changed or has just not yet begun ?
I f you have more info on those matters kindly inform me as my concern is that we are being taken for a ride and I am not seeing anything to convince me otherwise.

Nothing I could say will convince you otherwise.  You already have your mind made up so we'll agree to disagree on this.

Respeck.

1]; } ?>