April 18, 2024, 05:43:35 PM

Author Topic: Questions & Answers With Hannibal Najjar.  (Read 19245 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Questions & Answers With Hannibal Najjar.
« on: September 12, 2006, 03:55:29 PM »
Fortune Favours The Brave & Brave Were Our Warriors –
Questions & Answers With Hannibal Najjar.

Great Gains - All From One Commitment

Whether consciously, subconsciously or unconsciously, every decision that a person makes in life is hinged to the expected Returns on the Investment projected – “what would I get in return for the efforts that I am called upon to put in?” And these returns/rewards come in many forms, shapes, sizes, etc, and may be tangible or physical and/or intangible or, non-physical.

Against this philosophical principle/backdrop, I submit that, we can now measurably appreciate that, the motivation behind our national footballers during the course of this year’s 2006 World Cup campaign, Qualifications included, had more of a focus on the intangible-type rewards. The motivational journey was much more propelled by the desire to realize that elusive dream - qualifying for a World Cup; and by that, proving their worth to the eyes of the world. After attaining that intangible, i.e. our “dream”, the players were then adorned with the tangible, that which the Government provided - a combination of liquid cash and the less liquid, Unit Trust shares. Thrillingly, from what I was made to understand, the Warriors achieved the intangible goal without any knowledge of a forthcoming Government’s “financial gift”.

And, this is where I am exceedingly thrilled, for I am forever a proponent of people earning that which they desire – people must commit before they command or make any demands, and this is what we did throughout, and for the first time in nearly two decades.

The One Lesson Learnt

If we learn only one lesson from this entire T&T World Cup experience, it is that, heart is bigger and beats more than, talent. This truth is embellished by the performances of countries like Brasil and England in this Cup campaign – they performed miserably and WAY BELOW their potential and the world’s expectations – they seemed to be, heartless.

In the midst of this congratulatory note to the Warriors, I would beckon to every Warrior, that they do not entertain having ANYONE fragment or destroy all that was achieved in this campaign. These include those considered to be friends (so-called), others with personal agendas, and others still, stilted in mauvais langue. In the same WARRIOR-LIKE manner that you performed, you must protect what was achieved, for this must forever be treasured and uplifted as a model for future dreams and dreamers.

12 Questions of Interest & My Answers - Pass or Fail Me.

Apart from sharing the joy of our Warriors achievement with you, there were some very interesting questions that were broached my way which I believe that you would be of interest to the ardent soccer person. They are particular interest as we look fervently to building a perpetual reputation of high achievers. On this note, I ask you to join me in my responses to some of those questions that were broached my way. These questions were naturally, in regards to our football – the World Cup campaign and performance, Latapy’s playing time, T&T’s best performers, past teams’ comparative performances, bloopers, awards received, Beenakker’s achievements and performance, Jack’s contributions, future prognoses and so on.

1. On My Predictions of T&T in The World Cup:

Q1. Hannibal, certainly you would have had your predictions for the team going into the World Cup; what were they?

A1. When asked this question, I referred my friends and listeners to my already written version. I had just prepared this back in February and adjusted in April only to reflect the result of our World Cup warm-up game against Iceland.

In short, given our history and then performances in the Qualifiers (this was later confirmed by our results and performances in our warm-up games against, (Iceland, Peru, Austrian club team, Wales, Slovenia, and Czech Republic), I thought that we would perform at about a 3-4 on a scale of 10, with 10 being best. Based on my February research and postulations, (which is posted at the end of this Q&A and scripted in Italics), I estimated the following results, a 0-0 tie at best, with Sweden, a blow-out loss against England, and a two-goal loss to Paraguay, with us possibly scoring our first goal in this last game. Our warm-up games did not alter my feelings of the predicted results, but rather, confirmed them. I again confess, I thought that we would not even come close to showing in the W/Cup as well as we had – truly, all the pieces fell in place at the right time.

2. On Beenakker’s Achievements and Accomplishments.[/color]

Q2. Well Hannibal, many people believe that Beenakker did not do as much as is being made out to be; what are your thoughts?

A2. What more do we want? What better have we achieved? Where better have we performed – this is the World’s best stage? Maybe he did not achieve the kind of results we would have preferred i.e., victories in our games, but we attracted a great deal of attention and gained respect from the playing and viewing populations of the world.

One of my biggest contentions with Beenakker however, was, whether we should go with younger players that had the potential to be recruited by clubs that would subsequently help in their development, or should we be loyal to those that got us there but had no hope of improving and /or being recruited? The Technical Staff and Federation chose the latter and now we are paying the price – c’est la vie, that’s the decision that people sometimes make and the consequences we sometimes have to face!

Beenakker, in my estimation, brought the best out of our best athletes, in the best situation, and we showed the rest of the world that we could withstand the test – what more can we attest (just a little poetic rhythm and flow)! Our player pool, was, is, and will continue to be a very limited one, and save my uncertainties about Beenakker’s preparation of our attacking players and their goal-scoring skills (discussed in a later question), there is no genuine reason that we should have expected better than what we saw; there should no reason to harbour or foster any disappointment – certainly, we exceeded my expectations in the way we performed, and in the result versus England. The resultant effect of Beenakker and his Dutch entourage’s influences was a gallant performance by our World Cup first-timer, Warriors. This experience and episode in our life has brought us joy that would also help us step into the future with more acclaim, confidence and an opportunity for successfully passing on the torch.

3. On Latapy’s Playing Time:[/color]

Q3: Hannibal, what are your thoughts on Beenakker’s decision to play Latapy only once in the final game against Paraguay, and only for that limited time? Look how well he played in that period, what are your thoughts?

A3: This seems to be an item of much discussion as many persons have asked about this.

I see this as relatively simple to explain, and not knowing the “internals” of the team during that time, I excuse myself if there were some undisclosed reasons.

The reason why this question has surfaced is because of what we witnessed in our game versus Paraguay. We saw the usual crafty and intelligent play that we had grown accustomed to seeing from Latapy. His performance in the Paraguay game set our imaginations loose, just as, the usual “perfect”, hind-sight thinking does to everyone. The “brilliance” of hind-sight thinking, is in our very human nature and we are stronger and braver when we utilize it to speculate on outcomes after the fact. Isn’t it strange that, it is in the hindsight thinking domain that we become exceedingly courageous and “intelligent”? The question is a good and maybe, fair one because of what we had seen. And, really, this question about Latapy’s playing time only arose because of the good decision that was made by the Technical Staff not to play Latapy much or before.  Latapy showed well in his solo appearance and now, we and Latapy, have that memory to live with.

Granted, we love Latapy; he is everyone’s “Little Magician”, and he is likable even when he might not be at his graceful best. But there are logistical decisions at this level of play that impact a coach’s decision-making. At this, once-in-every-four-years mega platform, the world is at “war” for football’s biggest prize. At this stage, there is little room for mistakes, where, lack of speed and physical size, two of Latapy’s hugest present-day woes, provide the perfect recipe for mistake-making. Latapy himself, would love to have had this opportunity one World Cup earlier – we know, as does he, that he would have loved to have this occasion one World Cup before.

Other considerations for the decision not to play Latapy more, included, temperature, Latapy’s play, and game tactics. The sweltering heat being such a decisive factor at this World Cup, more of Latapy would have exponentially spelt, less of Latapy. And while we are at it, do cast your thoughts back to many a Qualification game where come-on contributions by Latapy only flickered in substance, at least by his standards and our expectations.

Tactically, our approach was and had to be built on, defense, defense, and more defense – that was our strategy leading into the World Cup, and this provides us with one of the reasons why Latapy was used sparingly. How else! Whence have we done well as an attacking team, or even showed to be a team that can effectively attack. Attacking frailties was our biggest problem, and if you asked me for a flaw in the Technical Staff’s preparation of the team, I might, just might, point to this component - attack. Look at our Qualifications’ results; look at the World Cup warm-up games’ results! Where were we going to muster up goals at the highest level of play in the world, when in previous, less difficult games, we were “drier” than the East Dry River.

What is the difficulty in seeing that a Latapy, on the field, would have weakened our chances to stand tall, just as we did in our three games – we stood tall indeed! This is particularly true, given what we saw in our first two games, with my tournament’s superstar, Dwight Yorke, having to confine himself to a third stopper’s role and having to seek deep inside his skills and experience banks, as a striker/attacker, to help himself and us, to effectively counteract the variety of high-quality attacking styles and players that were brought our way so repeatedly.

My belief is that the correct decision was made. My appeal and encouragement to Latapy however, is that he avoids and even, discourages any loose-talking and maligning of the Technical Staff’s altogether - it is done and the outcome has brought a tremendous and unassailable joy to the country. In the end, Latapy is (and we are), better for the very fine images he has left us all with in his debutant and, final World Cup appearance. And, that is how we want to remember this graceful, elegant, and serenely effective mid-field craftsman. His abilities will be sorely missed and sadly, there seems to be no replacement in sight. So, in the meantime, let us all agree to leave good alone!

4. On A Comparative View Of Past Teams’ Performances:[/color]

Q4. How would you compare this team's performance, skill level, and achievements with other formidable performances such as the 1973 and 1989 teams?

A4. Easy answer again - the reason, primarily because of my direct involvement in all of the teams.

In 1973, I was a player in that Premier League that harnessed and nurtured this home-grown talent that performed stunningly outstanding in Haiti, under the then coach, Englishman (and since-then, friend, Kevin Verity). I feel even more a part of that achievement, because I also played in a select (second) team that provided the final warm-up game for our then Warriors, which was played at the Oval before a very sizable crowd of supporters. In that horrendously officiated Final game against Haiti, in Haiti, T&T placed 2nd, in a time when only one (1) team advanced to the World Cup. We also annihilated world powerhouse, Mexico, 4-0 en route to that ever-talked-about final. I always believed that had we the technology then that we have today (for global television viewing), that referee would have never chanced what he did, and we would have been spared the agony of 32 years of pain and high expectations. Needless to say, my belief is that that the T&T team would have feared much more prominently than Haiti did in that 1974 World Cup, also in Germany.

With the 1989 team, I provided many years as Head Coach for the National Senior and Youth Teams, and with it, I was involved with a large number of the players that represented T&T through that World Cup campaign. At that tourney, T&T placed 3rd, in a time when two (2) teams qualified to the World Cup.

And for this 2006 Team, I was probably involved in the lives of all the players but that of Chris Birchall, when in my assignment as Head Coach and Technical Director in 2002-2003. And, why this is so, I don’t know, but here, we have witnessed first hand, T&T  placing 4th, in a time when three and one-half (3 ½) teams qualified for the World Cup.

It seems that we are always self-managing an also-ran mystique in World Cup qualification tournaments. Take for instance, at the U-17 level, our closest finishes, I believe the years to be all in the eighties, we placed 2nd when one (1) team was to qualify, then 3rd, in the immediate subsequent tournament when two (2) teams qualified, and amazingly, we placed 4th, in the immediate next, when three (3) teams qualified.

Further, hands-on crowd support figures prominently in the performances of players, and in the ‘73 era, there was a great deal of this - I would play regular League and Cup games with approximately 5, 6, and 7 thousand supporters in attendance.

In the ’89 team’s era, there were substantially fewer amounts of spectators that attended games. In the 1989 FA Cup Final match played at the Arima Stadium, a mere 200 spectators attended that game (where an estimated 100 “stormed” the premises). Worst still, that final FA Cup game was played in the August immediately preceding our November 19th encounter with the US that saw the “Sea of Red”, literally turning to, the “Sea of the Dead”.

And, in today’s era, there is, sinfully, a near-zero amount of spectators in attendance at our supposed-to-be, newly revived, and spirited, Pro-League.

And, so which is the best team?........................Whilst there should be no comparison made between the teams whatsoever, and any attempt at lowering the accomplishments of any team, relative to that of another, makes us look insensitive as it does, insensible, people still want to compare. People of every generation are magnetized to the phenomenon of comparative analysis and even when we cannot ever achieve any satisfying and true result when comparing eras of any kind, especially when eras are decades apart, people always compare, just as we do people and things in our lives. But the truth still remains, that many factors that aid and abet, and even, bless one era and in this case, team, may prove to be mitigating for others in another era.

Despite having said this, I will step out and make the following judgment - I would contend that the ‘73 team was the best in a time when our country’s football and overall support was also at their best. The players of that era plied their trade in T&T and made no money from, and for their efforts. This was not as much the case in the 1989 team, and clearly not the case whatsoever, in the 2006 team – everyone makes their living from football, and at least 85-90% ply their trade overseas.

The players in 1973, in my opinion, save and except two-to-three of the ’89 and ’06 teams, were better technically, more athletically coordinated, more purposefully driven, more deliberate, creative and effective in offensive situations, and did so with less opportunities for exposure in warm-up games, at the international level in preparation for these tournaments.

However, I do recognize that today, the speed of the game is played at a more high-paced level, and this, on a more continuous basis. This truth makes for greater difficulty in executing the skills of the game on a regular basis. I make this statement based on my findings over my many years of active involvement in the international game.

5. On Our Performance and Results:

Q5. So what did you think of performance and results of our first ever World Cup?

A5. Honestly, given the qualification path that we journeyed and the warm-up game results that we delivered, I felt, notwithstanding the not-too-bad results that I predicted (again, which were a possible 0-0 tie with Sweden, a wide-margin loss to England and a two-goal deficit loss to Paraguay, with us possibly scoring our first goal in this game) that we would have both, a torrid time, and would deliver horrid performances altogether. However, fortune does favour the brave and brave we were indeed. I wasn’t surprised about the results we achieved in out three games, for as you heard me say that I didn’t believe that we would win any of our games.

Game one against Sweden - was to be the trend-setter for us, as it seems always to be for most teams, especially new-comers or smaller nations. This first game could not have worked out better for us, a first-time World Cup team that was also the smallest country to ever qualify. We were brave, resilient, determined and committed to the cause and to each other – we performed exhilaratingly with gallantry and we were rewarded for our efforts. I would like to think that God inspired our players and our nation, and that transferred into good fortune, for there were numerous occasions where on another given day, Sweden might have had the fortune reciprocated to them with at least two-to-three of its goal-scoring opportunities converted – that was our day, and playing with ten men for almost an entire half, makes the drawn result even more memorable and certainly did set the tone for our next encounter with the mighty, England. This performance not only set the tone for our next game, but it made the world rise up for the underdog. Trinidad’s performance, and in this game, drawn 0-0, against the world’s #14 ranked Sweden made the world believers in us, as it did make us of ourselves.

The game’s best player – a tie - Dwight Yorke and Shaka Hislop.

Game two against England - we were in control of our own destiny. With the following facts and info, England were the ones under pressure coming into their encounter with little Trinidad & Tobago and its now, “Little Magicians” (not just Latapy, but all of the warriors of little T&T) recognizing what we had done against Sweden. Added to our amazing result and performance against Sweden, England had a horrible showing against a very formidable Paraguay team that saw England crawling out with a meagre 1-0 victory via the own-goal route. Further, in the minds of the English player-icons and nation, was the fact that Trinidad’s tie against Sweden was a team that England hadn’t beaten since 1964 – this fact did impact on the Englishmen’s and their Swedish-born coach’s nerves. The last and probably most significant factor that, in my opinion, was the reason behind England’s overall poor and lethargic showing was, its coach, Ericksson – he was pathetic in his overall demeanor and exuberance and seemed nonchalant in his efforts to get players of the calibre and experience that he possessed, to play behind him and the usual, Englishman’s blue-collar and coal-miner’s temperament. He was pathetically unenthusiastic and sickeningly uninspiring.

In the end, I ask that we do not continue with our cries that Crouch’s hair-pulling of Brent Sancho was any different than the million other shirt and shorts pulling, and pushing, elbowing, name-calling, and kicking that were so repeatedly seen during the World Cup. England played horribly, and we again, played with vigor and pomp and that again, brought us much love, admiration and compassion from all of Trinidad and Tobago, the CONCACAF and the World.

The game’s best player – a tie - Dwight Yorke, Brent Sancho, and Carlos Edwards.

Game three against Paraguay - it was never my opinion that we could realistically outlast Paraguay. The main reason for my apparent despair here is that, Paraguay’s style of play, quality of attacking players and achievements in the CONMEBOL Qualifications, all spelt difficulty  for us. Firstly, I believe that one of our warm-up games, like the one versus Peru, should have been played later than was played (Peru was our second warm-up about one month-plus away from the World Cup); and that, this game should have been played away from home – our Peru encounter was played at the Hasley Crawford National Stadium. Secondly, Paraguay, having beaten and tied Argentina, and, lost and tied to Brasil in their home-and-away CONMEBOL Qualifying games, it showed just how good a team they were. These performances and results for Paraguay told a “large” story about their abilities, resilience and maturity. Lastly, I felt that Paraguay had more to lose in that final game, if they were to tie with or lose to us; any such results would have put them last in Group play, and this may have had the potential of something catastrophic happening.

It is my professional opinion that, Paraguay was a more formidable team than we were, certainly during our respective Confederations’ Qualifiers as discussed – they qualified with 28 points behind Ecuador, also on 28 points, and Argentina and Brasil, respectively finishing second and first, each with 32 points.

The game’s best player – a tie - Dwight Yorke, Carlos Edwards and of course, Little Russell.

6. On The Rewards and Awards Received by The Warriors and Staff:

Q6. What are your thoughts on the rewards and awards bestowed on the team?

A6. Personally, I am always happy when, in Third World settings or countries like ours, rewards, awards and suchlike compensation are given to athletes for their services and efforts. This is more poignantly the case when their contributions are vividly seen to come on the heels of hard work, much dedication and, shown to have the interest of the whole.

Athletes seldom ever receive any such benefits, especially financial as was this time bestowed on the Warriors, for their immaculate achievements. $1, 000,000.00 for placing 4th, in the CONCACAF Qualifiers, NO WAY!; for beating 5th placed Bahrain in our 4th place play-off, NO WAY!; for having a pre-World Cup warm-up games’ record of 2-3-1 (W-T-L) and goals-for-and-against of 8-11, NO WAY!; for a World Cup game record of 0-2-1 and goals-for-and-against of 0-4, NO WAY!; for placing 29th or 30th, in the overall World Cup standing of 32 teams, NO WAY!; for a genuine Warrior-like, determination-filled, disciplined-laced, electrifying, and pride-embalmed 3-game performance, YES WAY!

Sadly, I understand that we had some parents complaining that the achievements of their sons at the World Cup (regardless if they played in any of the games or not), deserved a bigger recognition and reward that they received – amazingly!

The Government did well to exact out to the Warriors the remunerative package that they did. They must now watch out for the impact that this precedent-setting gift, as, the sporting nation and Associations will undoubtedly be equally expectant.

I prefer that the Government did not provide land as part of the package, and this they did not do – this more than money, is the property of the people of T&T and I believe that Government showed to be outstandingly dutiful in their cause.

Can and should we still give to high-achievers like Hasley Crawford and Atto Boldon such-like rewards if we hadn’t yet done so/ YES WAY! Their achievements have been most outstanding and of the highest calibre having been pronounced Champions at those mega stages of the world. Great were the Warriors achievements, and so, what is to be said of Atto’s and especially, Hasley’s accomplishments?

I guess, that my biggest contention with the rewards package is, the bestowing of the prestigious, National Merit Award on Leo Beenakker. I do not fully understand or agree with this bestowment even though I heartily congratulate and thank him and his assistants for their work.

7. On our best Performers at the World Cup:

Q7. In your opinion, who were our best performers in the Cup?

A7. Dwight Yorke was our mega performer. Without Dwight we would have been crushed. With Dwight there, the rest of the team rallied around his commitment and conviction. Dwight has always been my “blue-eyed” boy, and I made this very clear from the beginning, right from the outset at the tender age of 14, when he played at the U-17 level while I had that National team charges. He continued under my charges throughout his U-20 National Team years, and I have noticed his abilities to become T&T’s best ever contributor on the National and International scenes. I was so pleased for him and with him, that following our three games at the World Cup, I made a call to his mother from the US to congratulate her and to share my happy thoughts – over the many years I would visit her every time I visited, sweet Tobago. Dwight was superlative in the Cup, and I am so very happy that he can now rest with a gentle peace in his heart where his country is concerned, for not too long ago, he was found to be, careless and selfish.

Next on the list of strong performers, is a group of players whose contributions were exhilarating as it was good, which includes Carlos Edwards, Chris Birchel, Shaka Hislop, Brent Sancho, and Cornell Glenn (what little time he got). All however, gave tremendously and must be praised unequivocally. No one really deserves to be placed on a pedestal, for this is one time that I can honestly say that Trinidad & Tobago gave selflessly to the National cause. Our cricket team has set the tone for this and it is my hope that from here, we will climb to each successively higher level.

8. On the “boys” demeanour throughout and beyond the Cup.

Q8. No one really asked this question, but I thought it so astonishingly fitting, that I constructed it myself. The manner in which the team handled themselves throughout the entire campaign bring a great sense of joy to my heart, is can be said to be, indescribable..

A8. Leo Beenakker and his staff did a most outstanding job in keeping this group of young men together and battle-ready. Say what you might that we were somewhat lucky in our first two games not to have been beaten by wide margins, the truth is, oftentimes, people make their own luck, and I am a believer that luck is commensurate with effort.

What excited me most was that the players stayed focused on the task-at-hand, and did not allow disappointing results and or conjectures to dissway them from their belief in the coach and in themselves. There was justifiable jubilation when we tied a very good Sweden team. There was “grinta” shown in our battle with the might of England – this being a most pleasant surprise for me as, I personally thought that England’s firepower was going to be too much for us to handle. And in our game against Paraguay, we did what we could only have done against a team, whose style and quality presented an uncomfortable obstacle for us at a time when they had to salvage much pride in their final game.

Bigger than our performance in the Cup, was, our post tournament comments and citations. Was I impressed with Sylvio Spann or what?  I am so happy for my colleague and long-time college and men’s league opponent, Leroy Spann. It was so refreshing to read what he had to say about his plans for the financial compensation that he received for the team’s achievements at the Cup. We did have a win, scored a goal, we came last in group play, and 29th or thereabouts in the field of 32 teams at the Cup, but we did win the keys to every viewer’s heart worldwide that saw our performances, especially those against Sweden and England.  Seldom does it come through for the cliché, “it’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog” - we displayed fight beyond what our size would suggest.

Then, there was Kenwynne Jones’ comments that absolutely positively inspired me, and leaves the kind of impression of pride (the correct kind of pride) that will have a profound and positive impact on the younger players and generations that are to follow. He was confident as he described his experience and as he made postulations of his future plans, but particularly, he was eloquent in his humility as he was in his describing of his aspirations to play at the highest level – he appeared to have all the requirements for success in tact – spirituality, intellectually, and athletically.

It was so good to see Brent Sancho play as he did, and much was said of Shaka’s stand-in performances for Kelvin Jack, but Brent played yeoman-like as a stand-in for Marvin “dog” Andrews – congrats Brent!

As for Marvin, his faith is bewildering and resounding. His life is secured in the power and love of God (The Lord) and so, he was accepting as he was encouraging of his teammates even when his injury disallowed him from playing even one minute  – he is the type to be content with this.

Other performances of note include, undoubtedly, that of Dwight Yorke – he is now the player and the leader that I always felt that he was. I have a very soft spot for him and now, I am happy. Carlos Edwards was every bit the player I know him to be. He is every bit the gentleman that I had come to realize that he is. He is every bit of a worthy mentor for our youth that we need. Hats off to Carlos and his special family for what he has done and left us with as a promise for future things. I always enjoyed having Cornell Glenn on my field – he is as exciting and enigmatic as he explosive and destructive – I hope he stays fit for his explosiveness if not trained and harnessed well, will lead to multiple injuries.

Great efforts from others include Cyd Gray and Avery John leading the rest of the outstanding pack of Warriors.

And lastly, it was so gratifying to see Russell come on and deliver as he did – that how we want to remember him – this is what we have grown accustomed to seeing for more than 20 years – thank you Russell, and I am, as I have expressed in my feelings about Dwight, exceedingly happy for you.

All the players did us proud, very proud and we have to be beaming as we must be concerted and deliberate in our quest to keep this trend up.

9. On the future of the Warriors:

Q9. What do see happening to the current team in the future? And what of the future for us for the up-coming World Cups?[/b]

A9. Because of the ages of the players on our team the future for transfers and buyouts are not promising. That was the chance that Beenakker and the Federation had to take going into the Cup – go with the experience and salvage some pride and showing how we got there, or plan for the next Cup by exposing younger players to the world, the experience, and to clubs that would more likely invest in potential than in persons that were in their twilight.

Besides, our current less old players are not the types that have stood our beamingly over others to warrant a move to the top flight of the world’s great leagues. I do however believe that Carlos Edwards, Chris Birchel and Cornell Glenn can ascend in the not-too-distant future. I tend to like Jason Scotland but he is the type that needs much attention if he is to deliver on the physical attributes that God had blessed him with.

As for the future and our abilities to arrive on that World Cup scene again? This accomplishment is not going to be an easy task! And if we believe otherwise, then so be it! The task of qualifying is a monument to climb, a dutiful and strenuous process – probably easiest for Mexico then, the US and maybe, Costa Rica in our region, but not easy at all for us and the rest!

To better guarantee our return we must proceed with an all-out, deliberate, concerted, concentrated and well-advised approach. Put another way, more succinctly in today’s work jargon, we have to be more “intentional” and purposeful in our pursuits (for the young and up-coming programs and players) and far, far less “accidental” and nonchalant. For too long, certainly for all the life that I can remember, we, as a football fraternity, have not pursued the path of excellence by employing an approach that is proven and one that would better guarantee the results we desire. Maybe, this is a national woe, and our football woes are but a mere microcosm of what is at large. In essence, this is what we need to be doing if we are increase our chances of repeating the awesome feat of World Cup Qualification - pursue with “deliberasy” and “intentionality”, and not be casual and accidental, as we have so often shown to be; and the following recommended four-step, scope and sequence, will help the attainment of our goals – Have Desire, do Aspire, absolutely Perspire, and we will Acquire - (HN 1995).

This conversion of thought to living and behaviour, must be taught to and through our youth from here on in. the Romarios, and Rosarioes of our world, began with this commitment. We have come to see and understand this as we watched this World Cup campaign through - many players seen in this World Cup have toiled on the international and high-level circuits for many a year, and some, for many a decade.

Too many teams in the CONCACAF have benefited from Youth World Cup experience more recently and regularly than we have. We have to seek and pursue a way to help ourselves get to that stage at the youth level more regularly, and thereafter, we can better have hope in our chances to qualify at the men’s World Cup stage, every four years. But, one stumbling block to achieving this goal lies in the exodus of talent to the US colleges who, for one reason or another, do not return with the burning to give as they ought to, and as others do for their respective countries. Maybe, the achievements of the senior Warriors at this World cup, would contribute more positively and have a carry-over effect that may change their hearts – indeed, the cliché, “changed hearts changing hearts” may take effect now in our supposedly, new culture of success and, giving first before commanding!

What is also most assuredly needed to help in this turn-around of events, is a truly experienced, qualified, selfless, respecting, knowing, articulating, congenial, youth development officer, generally, one entitled, Technical Director. We have to bestow that duty on the person that possesses these traits, not someone because of other, less constructive reasons. This person has to have that vision, has to be apart of the larger whole, and be capable of including all persons without conflict and confusion so as to better ensure complete development of the entire soccer compendium.

In the end, as we have all come to know, this task is in the hands of the Federation, alias, Jack Warner, and we may expect the Government to be a significant but soft-spoken partner, but it is the Federation’s task to procure the future. As Technical Director and Head Coach, myself, back in 2002-2003, I considered my most important tasks to be, qualifying the National Team to the 2006 World Cup, and coinciding this with the simultaneous development of the youth or feeder teams. Its no secret, that one entity begets the other, and it is my opinion that, the Men’s National Team’s achievement serves as the “puller” of the youth element, while, the youth arm serves as the “pusher” of the men’s team. This pull/push dynamic serves as the prime impetus for development. And to this end, I sought to have, what I consider to be the most important, technically and tactically functional unit in all of my development plans, the Wholistic Development Committee. This Committee comprised, past and present school Principals, former Ministers of Education, current University Professors, Medical Doctors, coaches, and past student-athletes both, boy and girl. I was ex-officio in my capacity.

This committee’s responsibility was to begin with the soccer player, with the intention on making each player more appreciative of all of life’s decisions and actions. In swift time thereafter, the Committee’s next move would have been to construct a plan to incorporate the schools in this vision. Principals, Games Masters and the likes, were to figure prominently in this process. As things turned out, I had to return to be with my family in the U.S. and this led to the stalemating of this Committee.

Our future lies in our youth, our most precious resource, and unless we figure that out and lay down such a developmental foundation, we can kiss our qualification bids goodbye.

10. On the overall winner, Italy and Other Major Teams and Coaches:

Q10. Who did you pick to win it all, and which team’s performance was most surprising?

A10. From a purely personal standpoint, I wanted Brasil to successfully defend its crown.

In the end however, I thought the most complete and comprehensively focused team was the eventual winner, Italy. Italy performed with either, skill or heart, or, both, throughout every minute of every game, something that neither Brasil, England, nor Argentina, and not until later, France were able to achieve. The closest rivals to Italy in terms of attitude, performance and growth, were, Germany and Portugal, but they fell a little short in the experience department.

Top coaches appeared to be top teams’ reasons for underachieving. They failed miserably in their respective duties, making very strange selection and substitution choices and appeared to be pathetic in their leadership drive. Brasil and England were my biggest disappointments – they performed without lustre and due respect and regard for their names and countries, and more so, the opposition at the World Cup. I believe that coach, Carlos Perreira and icon, Mario Zagalo, just could not say no to the older players in their team. I believe that they and the team strolled into the World Cup not fully prepared (consider their warm-up games) and were somewhat arrogantly disrespectful of the class of the opposition at the World Cup. Additionally, they appeared to have had no decisive leadership throughout, save and except their deliberate insistence to stay with Ronaldo (which I have mixed feelings about depending on who else was on the field simultaneously), Emerson and Cafu. Two to three changes to the team would have provided the platform for a repeat of the title. Instead, they have allowed Italy to edge closer to equaling them with five titles. Personally though, I have so much admiration for Brasil as a team, and a nation of oneness - this is easily seen by the reverence and utmost respect shown for the older players by the younger ones, regardless of how “good” the latter might be. This facet of their lives, and respect for self and tradition are mega in my opinion, for continuous growth and development, and I categorically state that, as a consequence of this and their surplus of talent, no other nation have or will ever surpass them on the soccer field. In their economic and political lives, they need to remember these principles if they hope to realize their true potential.

As for England, in more ways than even with Brasil, they were the hugest disappointment for me. Given the sizeable talent pool and proven battle-hardened slate of front-line, know-how-to-win, warriors (to borrow our nickname for just a bit), the world was dealt a disappointing blow to see this team repeatedly coming up short in quality of play and attitude. They failed miserably even though they advanced to the quarter-finals by winning their group – they never showed up for a single game, except some sporadic good play in their 2-2 group-play tie with Sweden.

Sven Erickson was a disaster! He lacked energy and seemed out of it altogether. The team seemed to lack reasons to play for him; there seemed to be distance between them and him. Erickson, in my opinion, had the best chance to get the best out of a team that was ready to give of their best – they were laced with captains, veteran-winners at the highest stages, talented and skillful and youthful-enough players, and they had something to prove to those stalwart 1966 Cup-winning legends that might have been watching the game. They had the tools and deserved to be led better!

Other persons that wilted in my opinion or failed to ooze the best out of their teams, were Argentina’s and Holland’s coaches – they seemed to have their thoughts somewhere else – maybe the occasion got the better of them for they seemed to be “frozen” cerebrally.

11. On Jack Warner’s Role in our achievements?

Q11. What do you believe was Jack’s role in the achievement of the Warriors? Do you believe that we could have done it without him? Should he be recognized by the Government?

A11. Given what we have gone through and become over the past 30-35 years, we have to be gracious in our sentiments to Jack for what he has done. Without him, we would have “tail-gated” throughout the 2006 Qualifications. Many people, a large many, just do not know what Jack means to the success of our football, both in T&T and more-so, in the CONCACAF. We have to understand just how tactically gifted Jack is, how influential, how much of a conglomerate wizard he is. He is a savvy businessman and I have watched him operate from a ground zero position for many a year, toiling through the nights and day and hours. For decades, ever since I first got involved in Zonal and National coaching some 25 years ago, I was so amazed at his resolve and conviction, that I could not help but like the man. Sometimes however, I am befuddled at some of his plunging decision-making and actions, that I could find no answer that justifies any of it.

So in the end, I am happy for Jack, and he would tell you just how determined I was to bring us the glory of qualification and beyond, not just for us, but also, to see him be able to hold his head upright amongst his fellow FIFA colleagues who probably wondered about our resolve and abilities as a footballing nation.

Should Jack be recognized by Trinidad & Tobago? Say what you like or dislike about Jack Warner, any failure to recognize him would be very questionable. What he has done for football, regardless of what is alleged that he didn’t do or took away, or has done for himself, is tantamount to not recognizing other Caribbean heroes who have persevered over the years for their respective causes. Unless declared a criminal, Mr. Austin “Jack” Warner deserves the full recognition from our country, no question, no debates! Give Beenakker and not Jack?

12. On Your Future Involvement in Trinidad & Tobago’s Football.

Q12. What do you see lurking in the future for you for the development of our football? What are you currently involved in and are doing with yourself?

A.12. My interest is the development of sound minds in our youth, and that includes youth all over the world, any youth that comes my way. Last year I concluded a Masters Degree at the Lindenwood University in the area of Sports Administration (an off-shoot of their MBA Program). I started this program immediately upon my return from T&T, in April 2003, following my stay there as Technical Director and Head Coach. Today, I am pursuing another Masters, this in, Education, at the same University. I believe that learning is a beautiful and dynamic thing that is integral to teaching which includes, coaching . I enjoy sitting in a classroom as a student – it’s there new innovation is taught and new ways learnt to disseminate in order for diffusion to take place, and nothing else matters (a side note for my friends and colleagues, Dr. P. I. Gomes, Dr. David Dolly, and the established Diffusionist, Professor Everret Rogers).

I am currently in my third season of High School coaching, and 4th in teaching, where we are defending State Champions and my hands are full this season to repeat the honour. In our two previous years under my charges we have amassed a 44-5-1 record winning 8 major competitions, placing second twice and third twice. We have scored over two hundred goals and conceded some 35 goals against, 23 coming in our first year. We were honoured in the Capital City of Jefferson by Parliamentarians and Congressmen and received official Civic Awards in the process. I also function as, a soccer consultant, recruiter, a player-developer for the high-schooler, the college player and the professional, as well as, a marketer of talent. I ply these duties for the firm of, The Moberly Group LLC, and we expect to realize excellent results for our clients.

And so, I will continue my journey in these awesome endeavours everywhere I am, wherever I live and with whomever that come my way – life is good, giving and serving is better, and putting a smile on everyone that come my way and through the things that I do, is best.

From Question 1.
February Predictions Regarding the Warriors Results in the 2006 World Cup

Given the revised training and game schedules for the T&T W/Cup Team, and trusting that last minute changes would be minimal, I believe that it is a well-serving schedule. In a previously published statement, I indicated that I thought we were not going to be as prepared for Germany as we ended up being for our WC qualification games. Now, having seen this revised version, I will have to say that we can in fact be substantially more ready, especially given the gained confidences of our players from our historic achievement and improved status in the eyes of the international community. The schedule suggests that the T&T unit would be together for as good a time as Beenakker could want. It is a good schedule, and except for a desire or two, here and there of Beenakker (given the surveillances and journeys of his experienced mind), has to be pleased with this assembly of a schedule – it is set to provide the team with adequate preparation in the most important facets of the game. These facets include the physical, psychological, and team and camaraderie building. If these are achieved, the entire attitude, approach, and confidence of the team would be where Beenakker wants it. He knows the abilities out there in the opposition that await us, and therefore he has to rely on our unique traits, hunger and inner will to persevere and remain focused if we are to give a good account of ourselves.

The very job of organizing a training and game schedule/matrix such as this, is a monumental task. It is a time-consuming and mentally mind-boggling exercise. Schedules of this nature must satisfy the technical men, and this supersedes all other interests. The technical men are aiming to achieve good timing and to secure a correct sequencing of training and games. The objective here is to increase the degree of difficulty in training and in games at an increasing rate over the allotted time. The technical men know that they must give consideration to the benefits of both, training and match play. Though these are separate entities, they are entities that must complement and harmonize each other. The decision of which opposition to play and in which sequence, in order to best guarantee the kind of overall growth in the players as they systematically move to achieve peak form for their arrival in Germany, is always a crucial element.

For Beenhakker and the team, it is imperative that the results of the warm-up games get increasingly good with each encounter, and if not victorious, then at least, the encounters must be of a close kind. Already we have conquered Iceland 2-0 with a double by veteran Dwight Yorke, and soon we will duel against Peru on May 10th. Next we have an 8-game camp in England, then on to Austria on the 23rd, Wales on the 27th, Slovania on the 31st, then to the final game against the Czech Republic on June 3rd, one week before our historic first-ever World Cup game.

I know that one does not get to dictate the dates of their warm-up games especially at times like these, but I am not very comfortable with the last scheduled game, this being against the ruthless and laser-like Czech Republic.  It is scheduled for June 3rd, one week prior to our first game against Sweden. I may have chosen to stay away from this daunting and consistently ranked World #2 opponent altogether, but definitely, I would have sought to avoid such and opponent in last game. Maybe too, I would have advised against playing that game so close to our World Cup debut.

Also maybe, our warm-up game against Peru would be better served if we were to play it at a later date in our warm-up schedule, given that our last group game is Paraguay. Altogether, a strategy that begins with a game against European teams and close with the South Americans might yield more favourable results. But then again, this may be all that the organizers might have had to work with. And sometimes, even with the best scientific minds and planning, it does not guarantee better or more desirable results.

Beenakker however, is a road-warrior and a much tried, experienced coach and citizen of life, and he is someone that we should be excited to have on board. He is the one who has the secrets in his mind and the answers to how well we should fair there in Bundesliga Land. He is the one who knows better than everyone, what he achieved when qualifying, what has to be done today, what he has to work with, and what he is coming up against – no one knows that better than he!  He is the best person to predict how well we will do in these World Cup games, and how easily he sleeps at night could provide us with his answer – does anyone have access to his bedroom?

To the players and the forever-yearning country of supporters, I am exceedingly pleased that we are making the journey to Germany.  Naturally, there is that inner human sentiment that wishes I was the instrumental figure and not Beenakker - this would be so too, even if it was Tom, Dick, Harry or anyone else. I believe this desire is normal for any passionate coach, and I am not apologizing in this regard, because my thoughts and reflections are sincere, fair, and understandable!

As for my take on our fate at the World Cup, let me say that we are in an extremely tough group, contrary to some of our local pundits and soccer gurus (you have heard them pontificate), who advocated that because we have so many of our current players campaigning in Britain, it stands us in good stead.

Game 1 – Sweden: Sweden (# 14 in FIFA’s World Ranking – this and the following rankings were sourced in February), is a very difficult proposition – they are a very clinical and supremely organized team; always has been. They are a surgical, patient team and have the capacity and patience to stay with the best in the world, and can systematically carve their way through less experienced teams. They can score and are resoundingly disciplined in defense. Consider their qualifying stats – they came second in their group, tying on points with Croatia (#20 rank). They scored 30 goals and conceded 4, losing twice to Croatia (0-1), beating Bulgaria (#39 rank) twice, 3-0 and 3-0, Hungary (#70 rank) twice, 1-0 and 2-0, Iceland (#95 rank) twice, 3-1 and 2-1, and Malta (#119 rank) twice, 6-0 and 7-0. Result - should we survive the jitters of our first World Cup, first game, and play a great game, and they play below average (as we have repeatedly seen of favourites in their first game), we can earn a tie; then again, “who is me” to be talking!

Game 2 – England: As for England (#9 rank), they are as star-studded as any team is in the world today. They were runaway group winners, which included teams like Poland (#22 rank), Austria (#71 Rank), Northern Ireland (#103 rank), Wales (#72 rank), and Azebaijan (#114 rank). They scored 17 and conceded 5. They have the capacity to be ruthless and insensitive, and are very eager to rampage their way through all oppositions. They are a very explosive team that are enjoying showcasing probably their most talented team ever on paper, even surpassing their very formidable 1966 World Cup winning team. Unarguably, they boast some of the world’s most lethal players today. Result – will lose by a wide margin; the again, “who is me” to be talking!

Game 3 – Paraguay: Paraguay (ranked #30) is not to be taken lightly as they are a present-day South American power themselves, and in their brutal and unforgiving CONMEBOL Confederation, they stood tall, tying once, 0-0, and losing 1-4 to Brazil (#1 rank) and, against Argentina (#4 rank), they won 1-0, and tied 0-0. During their qualification efforts they placed 4th behind Brazil, Argentina and Ecuador (#38 rank), amassing 28 points in their 18 games, the same with Ecuador, with group winners Brazil, and 2nd placed Argentina, amassing 34 each. Paraguay scored 23 goals and conceded 23.  Result – we may score our first goal here but will go down by at least 2 goals; then again, “who is me” to be talking!

By contrast, our results against Panama (#78 rank) and Bahrain (#52 rank), those countries that we defeated 1-0 in our only away victories, were cellar-placed in their respective Confederations, probably FIFA’s two least regarded of its six Confederations. Panama’s 10-game schedule saw them finish with 8 losses and 2 ties, bringing up the rear end in our group with 2 points. They scored 4 goals and conceded 21. Bahrain on the other hand, finished with 4 points, with a 1-4-1, record and scoring 4 goals while conceding 7. Others in their group included Japan (#15 rank) and Iran (#19 rank), both of whom have qualified for the 2006 World Cup. Bahrain then went on to oust Uzbekistan (#59 rank) on an away goal in their 5th placed play-off, and that earned them the right to play T&T, whose results and battles we all know.

At the same time however, while we may not statistically measure up the our more formidable and revered group opponents, we are entitled to maintain our hope, for in our CONCACAF Confederation, we have two top-ten ranked teams in Mexico (#7), and the US (#7). Against the former we lost 1-3, and won 2-1, and the US, we lost 1-2 and 0-1, the latter playing away and down one man.  So altogether, we can take solace in our facts and stats, and harness hope and positive anticipation when considering our World Cup group challenges.

This 2006 World Cup occasion represents a very exciting moment for T&T and it has to be our intention to get to Germany fully ready if we are to find enjoyment in our role as World Cup debutants. Vitally important to this end is that, we need to be as ready attitudinally and organizationally. To aid and abet in this quest, we must persist in our shape-keeping and timeliness of rotational play, and this is particularly so in our defensive and middle thirds. Sadly though, we are lacking in creativity in the midfield and potency from the forwards. And, I am not sure if we can find our spark in these areas in time for the World Cup. Additionally, and very critical especially to us, is that our key and experienced players stay injury free. In the preparation phase, they can’t hold back but, they must be sensibly careful.

Hopefully the Federation did consider giving thought to this World Cup from two vantage-points. The first would have been to proceed with fielding the “same” team that qualified us with only very few changes to the team, or we could have opted to send a relatively new team, showcasing our future and younger stars. As it turned out, the former option was the preferred. It appears that we are after “saving face” and not seeking to  build for the future. An “old” team, as we are considered with the average age being 29-30, we would now not be able to “sell” our existing talents to scouting clubs and. The younger-player option would have definitely served us better in the long run as we gear for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. With this latter option, we would more likely outsource more of our players to larger clubs in the higher-level world class leagues, and where they may play on a regular basis, more often. Having opted for the “old bricks”, our future’s “building supplies” for our “second-story” level structure, World Cup 2010, and those further up the sky-scraper of football development, would now not be available as it would have been for the “freshly-spun, virgin olive oil” kind had we opted for the younger lads. It appears that this would set us back in our development effort; then again, “who is me!”

Now, with the younger-player option being of no consequence, and one that may not have ever been in Beenakker’s plans, are we to blame Beenakker? His interest, and maybe, deservingly so, is save face and salvage pride for himself and for us, all in the hope of making good our first entry into World Cup Football. He may be thinking ahead, wanting to seek an outcome in the up-coming World Cup that would market him better for his next coaching assignment. Is he to be blamed if this is the case? Does he not deserve to reap such a benefit?  I had felt all along that the younger-player option was always to face abortion.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 04:37:53 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Questions & Answers With Hannibal Najjar.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 04:29:05 PM »
I did try to read dah ting in de Express ah tink it was and ah bun after he answer question #4.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 04:39:53 PM »
i go hadda read this is stages yes!....
Back in Trini...

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 05:08:15 PM »
Nice piece from Hannibal Najjar here even though I took about an hour to read it.

De Express did a real bad work, this version looks better from Flex.

Is Najjar still with Superstar Rangers ?

Good read !!!!!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 06:09:26 PM by Flex »

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:04:38 PM »
Flex, you provided us with a very comprehensive response from a very respected coach. Very good work, you have some patience but love for reporting. I must say, I am very impressed.

As for Mr. Najjar, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I had the opportunity to work with you and it had been a pleassure. I look forward to seeing you in the mix sometime in the future. Thanks again!

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:42:14 PM »
Thanks Flex, but ah stop at question 6, too much tuh read dis time ah de night boi, ah go finish tomorrow. Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 11:12:09 PM »
I read about 90% of the article.....I must say my admiration for this man has grown after reading this.....

Very intellectual,....he would be an excellent candidate for TD for our U23, U20 and U17..
Warrior For Life !!

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 11:19:47 PM »
Hanibal have had issues with #14 in de past and it is believed that #14 was responsible for his firing after a national game so I'm not supprised that he fail to mention TnT all time leading goal scorer, even doh he talk for bout
10hrs,so yuh have to wonder who else get leave out becuz of bias....just my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:21:38 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 04:31:13 AM »
Hanibal have had issues with #14 in de past and it is believed that #14 was responsible for his firing after a national game so I'm not supprised that he fail to mention TnT all time leading goal scorer, even doh he talk for bout
10hrs,so yuh have to wonder who else get leave out becuz of bias....just my opinion.

Stern John is Alvin Corneal step son and Alvin Corneal have a problem with anyone other than Anton Corneal who gets the TD position, look at what is happening to Lincoln Phillips right now, who do you think causing all this turmoil. So do the math. Stern John always had an attitude problem and he and Najjar had runnings when Najjar was coach/TD. Man showing up and not wanting to train with the others talking on he cell phone whole day trying to put a spoke in Najjar wheels. Stern John had a major part to do with Najjar being fired and that's not fair, these players think they actually bigger than they really are, if you notice all de goals Stern John scored and he still gets no respect, he needs to calm down.

Stern John did great in the qualifiers but did nothing in the world cup, how can he get mentioned in a world cup preview report ?

George Joseph, Oliver Camps (yes man), Richard Gorden, Alvin Corneal, Richard Gorden (again) and Anton Corneal is our biggest problems even more than Jack Warner himself and once these men stick around T&T football we will always suffer.

How does Alvin Corneal have such a strong hold over Warner, the world may never know.... :devil:

And to know the Corneals was the men who was trying to fight Jack Warner before he became the all mighty Jack and they still around mushing Jack up.... its only a matter of time they try to do it again. Dirty trying to stop dirty.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 07:08:14 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 07:54:55 AM »
I did try to read dah ting in de Express ah tink it was and ah bun after he answer question #4.

shit! I bun after #3 ah go finish later.....

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 09:25:50 AM »
I read most of it... Took a long frigging time... The only qustion I have is... How a man go from being National coach to a high school coach???

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 11:16:58 AM »
Any questions on how he f#$#$ up so bad in 02-03 and why he turn tail and run after all the talk before? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 11:20:57 AM »
gryswalker.... That is why he now coaching high school.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 01:47:01 PM »
Now my eyes bunnin me  :rotfl: Great work :angel:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 03:41:39 PM »

Stern John is Alvin Corneal step son and Alvin Corneal have a problem with anyone other than Anton Corneal who gets the TD position, look at what is happening to Lincoln Phillips right now, who do you think causing all this turmoil. So do the math. Stern John always had an attitude problem and he and Najjar had runnings when Najjar was coach/TD. Man showing up and not wanting to train with the others talking on he cell phone whole day trying to put a spoke in Najjar wheels. Stern John had a major part to do with Najjar being fired and that's not fair, these players think they actually bigger than they really are, if you notice all de goals Stern John scored and he still gets no respect, he needs to calm down.

Stern John did great in the qualifiers but did nothing in the world cup, how can he get mentioned in a world cup preview report ?

George Joseph, Oliver Camps (yes man), Richard Gorden, Alvin Corneal, Richard Gorden (again) and Anton Corneal is our biggest problems even more than Jack Warner himself and once these men stick around T&T football we will always suffer.

How does Alvin Corneal have such a strong hold over Warner, the world may never know.... :devil:

And to know the Corneals was the men who was trying to fight Jack Warner before he became the all mighty Jack and they still around mushing Jack up.... its only a matter of time they try to do it again. Dirty trying to stop dirty.

First off all,if you cud say Stern John is Alvin Coneal stepson den I know yuh have no idea what went on wid de both Coneals and Stern I will leave it right dey,yuh wrong, yuh eh know what yuh talking bout.As for de L Phillips comment ah just have to laugh  :rotfl:
Secondly if daiz de case den we shud thank god that Stern was de reason Hanibal get fired as de coach becuz IMO he wasn't no where close to being ah good senior coach ah frigging goat at that level as far as I am concern,good at developing de youths buh cannot deal wid big men .Now you have to be delusional to think that is Stern John and only he was responsible for Najar firing.I for one was happy to see him leave becuz with him ah senior coach all now so we still dreaming bout Germany.
Stern needs to calm down?  :rotfl: :rotfl: yuh ever hear Stern boasting bout he record.... eh? yuh ever hear him come out and say this coach eh good ? de man come and play for whomever, regardless,and continue to buss de net and take he talk when he have ah bad game. All yuh really good yes, what you find is apropriate behavior ? is ah pity we cyar find another TnT striker dat score so much goals for we to compare how his behavior to #14 :rotfl:.Yuh eh see yuh only talking dohtishness when yuh say Stern needs to calm down ...for what just to please people like you ..steeeeuuupppss all yuh still eh go respeck him.... regardless .

p.s when he cuss de crowd in de oval he was refering to people like you ,de ones dat doh respect him for de goals he score..is all yuh need to calm down
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 02:57:29 AM »
First off all,if you cud say Stern John is Alvin Coneal stepson den I know yuh have no idea what went on wid de both Coneals and Stern I will leave it right dey,yuh wrong, yuh eh know what yuh talking bout.As for de L Phillips comment ah just have to laugh :rotfl:
Secondly if daiz de case den we shud thank god that Stern was de reason Hanibal get fired as de coach becuz IMO he wasn't no where close to being ah good senior coach ah frigging goat at that level as far as I am concern,good at developing de youths buh cannot deal wid big men .Now you have to be delusional to think that is Stern John and only he was responsible for Najar firing.I for one was happy to see him leave becuz with him ah senior coach all now so we still dreaming bout Germany.
Stern needs to calm down? :rotfl: :rotfl: yuh ever hear Stern boasting bout he record.... eh? yuh ever hear him come out and say this coach eh good ? de man come and play for whomever, regardless,and continue to buss de net and take he talk when he have ah bad game. All yuh really good yes, what you find is apropriate behavior ? is ah pity we cyar find another TnT striker dat score so much goals for we to compare how his behavior to #14 :rotfl:.Yuh eh see yuh only talking dohtishness when yuh say Stern needs to calm down ...for what just to please people like you ..steeeeuuupppss all yuh still eh go respeck him.... regardless .

p.s when he cuss de crowd in de oval he was refering to people like you ,de ones dat doh respect him for de goals he score..is all yuh need to calm down

Like Stern John is yuh step daddy or yuh lover, which one, how yuh backing him so. De man is an ass, bottom line, and if I was at the Oval when he did cuss and I had a bottle in my hand he woulda swollow it....

Beenhakker was de best coach we could have ever gotten to take us to de world cup, no Najjar or St Clair could have taken us, I agree with that, and show me where I say both men could have taken us.. I never say that,,,,, Najjar is very good with youths and he might make a good TD.... not sure about head coach... ?

Yuh come here hot and sweaty flapping yuh beak and backing man like they is yuh lover. Stern John have issues. If de man was scoring plently goals he woulda piss on people.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 09:50:08 AM by Flex »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 07:48:32 AM »
Good work Flex. Well thought out answers by Najjar, very diplomatic and positive.

Why people have to be so small minded asking how he end up coaching where he is coaching. It is his choice, coaching youngsters (the future) is one of the most rewarding parts of coaching. Surely if the TTFF were organized they could find a place for coaches like Najjar, DeLeon, David, LaFoucard, Lilewhite, the list goes on and on.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 09:08:08 AM by Flex »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 09:16:58 AM »
Good work Flex. Well thought out answers by Najjar, very diplomatic and positive.

Why people have to be so small minded asking how he end up coaching where he is coaching. It is his choice, coaching youngsters (the future) is one of the most rewarding parts of coaching. Surely if the TTFF were organized they could find a place for coaches like Najjar, DeLeon, David, LaFoucard, Lilewhite, the list goes on and on.

Thanks for raisiing the level of the debate SIr.... I agree. Many people only see the fruit ignoring the young plants nearby. I wonder how many realise the growing trend in football to buy young ? The emphasis couild well be on those who are involved with youth players ???? From his resume I see that Najjar is part of a youth development and placement company ....
For those who critisize him then they should also critisize Jean Lilliwhite, Trevor Spicer, Rudy roberts, gamba from Sperstar rangers, Gwen Cust, Dion la Foucade...maybe they should be more ambitious ?

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 09:48:58 AM »
Hannibal Najjar is a smart person and we should feel proud to know he is a Trini, hopefully one day he will serve us well. Who cares where he coach now, maybe he does not want to coach a big team, but developing players is a big job and he does that well...

Good read, I enjoyed it.... and good luck to him in the future, it would be nice to see him and Lincoln share duties as T&T Technical Directors, one senior men and women teams and the other junior teams, they will be unstopable.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 09:50:58 AM by Flex »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 11:28:33 AM »
To be honest ah started to read de first installment of this Q&A in de Express either last week or week before....ah goh have to sit down and take in de rest tonight....

Ah cyar stare at de screen dat LOOONNNGGG to read de damn thing and ah in work.....on de people internet....supposed to be working.....supposed to be, being the key phrase....  ;D

But from the responses so far (ignoring Berris)....it seems like ah interesting read, Ah cyar wait....

p.s. Berris how yuh does manage to turn almost EVERYTHING into a Stern John debate so?.....it boggles the mind.... ???
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »
I can't say much about Hanibal as the head coach, because he really wasn't around for too long.  His responses were insync with my opinions on most of the topics except for the part about going to the WC with a younger side.  His appreant reasoning is for youthful players to secure 'big' contracts.  That is not a surety in my opinion, and the down side to that is when the youthful and less experience getting they tail wash and only picking up balls from behind the net, what coach going to 'recognise' them and give out big contracts.

Allyuh remember too that Hanibal was the coach when the players had that strike couple years ago.  Most of the men on the team at the time said that he did not stick up for them when times got rough.  They were training without gears, medical, water, bandages...no match fees were paid, and the equipment manager and some of the staff were not being paid as well....and still the coach was siding with the administration and leave he players out to dry.  They had to bring in Dinanath Ramnarine (WIPA) to represent they cause.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 01:23:17 PM »
I can't say much about Hanibal as the head coach, because he really wasn't around for too long.  His responses were insync with my opinions on most of the topics except for the part about going to the WC with a younger side.  His appreant reasoning is for youthful players to secure 'big' contracts.  That is not a surety in my opinion, and the down side to that is when the youthful and less experience getting they tail wash and only picking up balls from behind the net, what coach going to 'recognise' them and give out big contracts.

Allyuh remember too that Hanibal was the coach when the players had that strike couple years ago.  Most of the men on the team at the time said that he did not stick up for them when times got rough.  They were training without gears, medical, water, bandages...no match fees were paid, and the equipment manager and some of the staff were not being paid as well....and still the coach was siding with the administration and leave he players out to dry.  They had to bring in Dinanath Ramnarine (WIPA) to represent they cause.

But who job is that to give players gears, medical, water, bandages etc ? shouldn't all players have their own gears and isn't the TTFF responsible for the other stuff. What do you expect Hannibal to do ? take out his personal stuff and give them ? when you go to work, dont you walk with your lunch, travel money, uniform etc ? isn't your company responsible for giving you such and not your supervisor, even if he had stick up for them would that have change anything ? in de end, the players was after the TTFF and not the coach they wanted to strike even before Hannibal came onboard.

If you look at stats, Hannibal, played 11, won 7 and lost 3 games while coaching T&T and he was coach for only 6 months. Ian Porterfield also had a good stats for T&T, played 43, won 23 and lose 12.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 09:15:11 PM »
First off all,if you cud say Stern John is Alvin Coneal stepson den I know yuh have no idea what went on wid de both Coneals and Stern I will leave it right dey,yuh wrong, yuh eh know what yuh talking bout.As for de L Phillips comment ah just have to laugh :rotfl:
Stern needs to calm down? :rotfl: :rotfl: yuh ever hear Stern boasting bout he record.... eh? yuh ever hear him come out and say this coach eh good ? de man come and play for whomever, regardless,and continue to buss de net and take he talk when he have ah bad game. All yuh really good yes, what you find is apropriate behavior ? is ah pity we cyar find another TnT striker dat score so much goals for we to compare how his behavior to #14 :rotfl:.Yuh eh see yuh only talking dohtishness when yuh say Stern needs to calm down ...for what just to please people like you ..steeeeuuupppss all yuh still eh go respeck him.... regardless .

Like Stern John is yuh step daddy or yuh lover, which one, how yuh backing him so. De man is an ass, bottom line, and if I was at the Oval when he did cuss and I had a bottle in my hand he woulda swollow it....

Beenhakker was de best coach we could have ever gotten to take us to de world cup, no Najjar or St Clair could have taken us, I agree with that, and show me where I say both men could have taken us.. I never say that,,,,, Najjar is very good with youths and he might make a good TD.... not sure about head coach... ?

Yuh come here hot and sweaty flapping yuh beak and backing man like they is yuh lover. Stern John have issues. If de man was scoring plently goals he woulda piss on people.

Sam you does just be blowing wind,I eh go tell from where yet ..hold on .First of all de cuss pass in de stadium not de oval,so yuh continue to show yuh eh know what yuh really talking bout and yes, it was you in particular he was cussing so go ahead ah hate.
''Stern have issues''  :rotfl: you know that right ? It sound like is something personal wid you and Stern wham he break yuh heart or what ? eh ? he left poor Sammy ? how you know de man have issues ? steeuuuppss.
Yuh sounding like ah jealous heartbroken biatch and only evny what de man accomplish becuz is nuttin more than that, jealousy,and as usual yuh come on here farting thru yuh mouth bout my support for #14 ,wham dat does bother yuh or what ?
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 09:18:27 PM »
To be honest ah started to read de first installment of this Q&A in de Express either last week or week before....ah goh have to sit down and take in de rest tonight....

Ah cyar stare at de screen dat LOOONNNGGG to read de damn thing and ah in work.....on de people internet....supposed to be working.....supposed to be, being the key phrase....  ;D

But from the responses so far (ignoring Berris)....it seems like ah interesting read, Ah cyar wait....

p.s. Berris how yuh does manage to turn almost EVERYTHING into a Stern John debate so?.....it boggles the mind.... ???
[/b]

Doh worry bout it becuz you eh have no mind to boggle :devil:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 04:45:28 AM »
Sam you does just be blowing wind,I eh go tell from where yet ..hold on .First of all de cuss pass in de stadium not de oval,so yuh continue to show yuh eh know what yuh really talking bout and yes, it was you in particular he was cussing so go ahead ah hate.
''Stern have issues'' :rotfl: you know that right ? It sound like is something personal wid you and Stern wham he break yuh heart or what ? eh ? he left poor Sammy ? how you know de man have issues ? steeuuuppss.
Yuh sounding like ah jealous heartbroken biatch and only evny what de man accomplish becuz is nuttin more than that, jealousy,and as usual yuh come on here farting thru yuh mouth bout my support for #14 ,wham dat does bother yuh or what ?

Who give's a rats ass if de game was in de Oval or Stadium, de point is he cus de fans and some of de people he cus was his real supporters. What an ass he made of himself, you cussing de people, but yet you coming here and telling me I have a problem with Stern when it seems nearly de whole dam stadium didn't like him. Why he cuss them, ask yuhself that...

You could support who you like and if I dont want to support Stern how does that bother you ? we have our differences. You cant vex with me because I hate his attitude. Stern John has helped us greatly in the past and that I respect him for, but that alone, nothing else.

By de way, de only biatch here is you because you is de one who bitching about Najjar and Stern in de first place. Even de other posters here have a problem with your outburst. Yuh making a good interview look bad because one man didn't like Stern and ask yuhself why...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 04:50:21 AM by Flex »

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 07:59:19 PM »
''Stern have issues'' :rotfl: you know that right ? It sound like is something personal wid you and Stern wham he break yuh heart or what ? eh ? he left poor Sammy ? how you know de man have issues ? steeuuuppss.

Who give's a rats ass if de game was in de Oval or Stadium, de point is he cus de fans and some of de people he cus was his real supporters. What an ass he made of himself, you cussing de people, but yet you coming here and telling me I have a problem with Stern when it seems nearly de whole dam stadium didn't like him. Why he cuss them, ask yuhself that...

You could support who you like and if I dont want to support Stern how does that bother you ? we have our differences. You cant vex with me because I hate his attitude. Stern John has helped us greatly in the past and that I respect him for, but that alone, nothing else.

By de way, de only biatch here is you because you is de one who bitching about Najjar and Stern in de first place. Even de other posters here have a problem with your outburst. Yuh making a good interview look bad because one man didn't like Stern and ask yuhself why...

Like you talking for everybody in de stadium,in case yuh didn't get it, he cuss ppl  like YOU,his haters, not his supporters, he din cuss de whole stadium ,just imps like you.

''My Outburst''  ??? you only bumpin yuh gum. Read my first response to this thread and show me my ''outburst'' .All I did was give MY OPINION, after reading a long long Najar interview,that he fail to mention TnT leading goal scorer.You is de biatch that jump up and start to talk thru yuh arse bout ''stepdaddy and lover'' not me.

Yow.. you cud continue hating  I will continue supporting #14...all I interested in is goals and victories for TnT ...me eh business wid de man personal life ,you on de other hand sounding like you  have axe to grind and  fighting up wid yuh insecurities and ''issues''....yuh BIG DUNCE.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 09:18:04 AM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 05:35:26 AM »
Sam, dont worry with this child berris who cant even type a complete sentence without looking foolish. He's just an attention whore wanting to hijack every thread and turn it into his crush of stern john.
Hart for president

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 07:12:21 AM »
Sam, dont worry with this child berris who cant even type a complete sentence without looking foolish. He's just an attention whore wanting to hijack every thread and turn it into his crush of stern john.

Shit Stain...wham yuh cyar leave me alone or wha ..ah done tell yuh I is not yuh frigging daddy,yuh looking in de wrong place...I feel sorry for yuh boy,ah know it hurting yuh but you eh the only man that eh know he fadda so deal wid it.Yuh becoming ah pest now man,go and look on some damn football team for him and leave me alone nah ..

p.s see if this is a ''complete sentence''...

SUPPORTER... BERRIS IS NOT YOUR REAL FATHER .....GIVE IT UP
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 07:13:29 AM »
Like you talking for everybody in de stadium,in case yuh didn't get it, he cuss ppl  like YOU,his haters, not his supporters, he din cuss de whole stadium ,just imps like you.

''My Outburst''  ??? you only bumpin yuh gum. Read my first response to this thread and show me my ''outburst'' .All I did was give MY OPINION, after reading a long long Najar interview,that he fail to mention TnT leading goal scorer.You is de biatch that jump up and start to talk thru yuh arse bout ''stepdaddy and lover'' not me.

Yow.. you cud continue hating  I will continue supporting #14...all I interested in is goals and victories for TnT ...me eh business wid de man personal life ,you on de other hand sounding like you  have axe to grind and  fighting up wid yuh insecurities and ''issues''.

1. As I said, if I was in de stadium, he woulda swollow a bottle... talk done... he cant pick and choose who he want to cus, is 25,000 in de stadium, yea right.. he just open he dam mouth like a blasted mule. Braying...

2. And all I did was give my opinion, is you is de one who start off bumping yuh gum like yuh is Stern John man.... as I said, you is de one you mentioned Stern John name first, so you is de one who bumping yuh gum and defending man in de first place.for no reason, this is a Najjar interview, how Stern come here, yuh start off defending de man, who de hell cares if Najjar didn't like him, not everybody go like him, kakahole...

3. Ok, support him, and whats your point... ::) he still ah asshole...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 07:17:12 AM by Flex »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2006, 06:35:02 PM »
Both sam and berris ease up on de cussin ting nah please....especially de muddah business.  At dis point it doh matter who start what....it jes outta hand.

Thanx.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>