April 26, 2024, 09:27:18 AM

Author Topic: Life After Germany with Shaka Hislop.  (Read 3756 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Life After Germany with Shaka Hislop.
« on: September 18, 2006, 04:30:44 PM »
Life After Germany with Shaka Hislop.
By: Shaun Fuentes.

Trinidad and Tobago's US-based goalkeeper Shaka Hislop recently took the time to share his views on matters relating to himself as a professional footballer and life after the 2006 World Cup.
Hislop, who spent almost all of his professional playing days in England is now attached to Dallas FC in the American MLS, says that he is still motivated as a player despite realizing that he is now heading towards a different path in his football career.
“I’ve found myself focusing more on my long term aspirations,” Hislop told TTFF Media as he chatted with TTFF Media on the weekend. So do these aspirations include working in T&T football at some point or you will continue to ply the trade on the outside ? “In the past I turned down the country of my birth, as a player, to represent the country I call home. Some things will never change.”

Life with Shaka after the Germany Experience

1. How has life changed for you after the World Cup, the feelings, the way you approach training and the game. What’s  state of mind going into games now?
That’s tough to say, I’d like to think that not a lot has changed in that respect, but playing in the World Cup will always be what I remember most about my career. My motivations in these, the latter stages of my career have always been about proving myself against the younger and up and coming players- that will certainly remain.

2. Do you wake up with a different look on life or what you set out to do for the day ahead?
No, not really! I’ve found myself focusing more on my long term aspirations though!

3. Would you tell any footballer or aspiring national that this definitely is an experience of a lifetime for a professional?
I can’t stress that enough. The only reason I continued to play at the international level at this age is because I couldn’t help but feel that despite my relative success something was still missing. It seemed a pipe-dream for so long but I just couldn’t stop chasing it.

4.Do you miss England? What about it?
England was home for so long. My four daughters were born there. England will always hold some very special memories for me, both personal and professional. I wouldn’t say that I miss it but I do look forward to going back, and visiting.

5.What’s different about living in the USA? How do you compare the football settings and the approach to the game to that of the UK?
We certainly spend a lot more time traveling. The settings are similar in a lot of ways. The approach differs a little though. But it’s probably exactly what you would expect for a young league, coupled with the fact that ‘soccer’ can’t be described as a “traditional US sport”.

6. Do you walk around with a weight of expectancy at Dallas or do you feel more relaxed now as a person and player. Does going there at this age and with the World Cup behind you have a part to play in that?
I am very relaxed in both respects.  I feel I’ve realized a lot of my professional ambitions and that plays a big part in my approach. I’m still determined to do well, I certainly want to go out on a high…I’m trying to make it a habit.

7.What can local fans anticipate from Shaka in the future, let’s say two, five or eight years down the road.
I really wish I knew. I’d like to be involved in T&T football in some capacity. I’m not sure how. I’ll have to wait and see what presents itself.

8.Coaching or administration in T&T football?
I’ve always had an appreciation for the importance of the administrative side to football. Coaching will certainly be a way to continue to test my wits against the best in the game…we’ll see.

9.You are no stranger to US football, having attend Howard University there. We have had Lincoln Phillips involved with the US Association in the past and now we have Stephen Hart coaching the Canada’s Men’s team now, Brian Haynes at Dallas and others. If ever the US Soccer authorities were to approach you to get involved with them, would you consider it? USA before T&T?
Trinbagonians will always come back to T&T if the right opportunity presents itself. Like the others you mentioned I’m sure, I am also no different in that respect. In the past I turned down the country of my birth, as a player, to represent the country I call home. Some things will never change.

10.Have you let anything behind in the UK or is everything now with you in the US. How has the transition been for your family.
Everything is here with me. The transition has been difficult but exciting.

11. Is it somewhat a bit of dismay that not more of our players have gone on to benefit at the club level after the World Cup. Is this a surprise to you? What you think may be the reason. A matter of England not wanting to give us the right respect?
It didn’t come as any surprise to me. For a long time now clubs have stopped using international tournaments to scout and sign players. That process is a long process. Understandably so when you consider the amounts of money that are at stake nowadays.

12. What would you have to say to our players now in England or those aspiring to get there? Should we also consider other European Leagues. Are you one who thinks that the South American league is unsuitable for our players? Is the language difference a factor?
The players in England should remain there and be patient. They’ve certainly made people sit up and take notice - now people want to see how they handle the long term pressures of professional football. I certainly couldn’t comment on our suitability to South American football, I really have no experience of it at all. But I do believe that we will continue to do our football proud throughout Europe in the future.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 05:57:19 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Life After Germany with Shaka Hislop
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 09:33:46 PM »
Nice article Big up to Shaka.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Life After Germany with Shaka Hislop.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 07:50:15 AM »
Shaka de diplomat - love it.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 09:00:47 AM »
I like how he answered the giving back to T&T's football. I wonder what are some of the similarities in the MLS and the EPL. Seeing that the U.S. is closer than England we'd do well to learn from them and improve on our own PFL.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 12:50:46 AM »
We've produced some pros that have played at the highest level, and my hope is that in the next 10 years one of the Big Three--Yorke, Latas, or Shaka will take the helm.  Might sound like wishful thinking, but that is the trend at the international level nowadays.  Somehow goalkeepers seem to "see" the game well and often translate into good coaches.  Hopefully, Shaka will makt the transition into coaching; I think he could bring a lot to the table.

1]; } ?>