April 29, 2024, 03:17:41 AM

Author Topic: No Canada, El Salvador Oct 7, Panama Oct 11.  (Read 4959 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
No Canada, El Salvador Oct 7, Panama Oct 11.
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:17:22 PM »
Rijsbergen mixes it up for Soca Warriors Friendlies.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

National Team head coach Wim Rijsbergen is sticking to his intentions of establishing a blend of promising local talent with the overseas professionals and has begun by calling up seven home-based players for the upcoming international friendlies against Nicaragua and Panama.
Rijsbergen, currently in Tobago with assistants Anton Corneal and Jan Van Deinsen scouting for further talent, recently spoke of the importance of ensuring that the best available players based abroad being involved in the development of the local pros through training and playtime.
And among those catching his eyes and warranting selection for the two friendlies are W Connection's Andre Toussaint, W Connection goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams, San Juan Jabloteh’s Kerry Baptiste and Nigel Daniel as well Connection midfielder Andrei Pacheco and Tobago United defender Dwayne Jack. World Cup defender Cyd Gray has also earned a recall. There is no place however for Caledonia AIA midfielder Densill Theobald who has been out of action for sometime nor Jabloteh midfielder Aurtis Whitley, defender Marvin Andrews and Anthony Wolfe. Goalie Kelvin Jack, LA Galaxy striker Cornell Glen and defender Brent Sancho are unavailable due to injury.
The confirmed overseas players for both matches are Coventry City duo Stern John and Chris Birchall, Southampton striker Kenwyne Jones, Swansea City defender Dennis Lawrence, Luton Town’s Carlos Edwards and New England Revolution defender Avery John. So far the TTFF is awaiting confirmation of appearance from five players including Sunderland midfielder Dwight Yorke. The former Manchester United striker has indicated his willingness to Rijsbergen to be part of the squad but his club is yet to officially release him.
“If we are playing international games then I think it’s right that we have a mixture of the local players with the overseas ones because this is about building a squad for the future competitions which obviously has South Africa 2010 at the top of the list,” Rijsbergen told TTFF Media on Wednesday.
“We have been watching all the games and talking to the coaches here. I have told guys like Densill and Silvio (Spann) that it is impossible players like them who are unattached to clubs. It’s unfair if we don’t allow the local guys who are showing promise to step in and gain the experience of international football. It’s not a guarantee that you will be called because you are playing in an outside league but then of course if we have players out there who are doing better they will get the call and when we call them we expect that they will show up to represent the country. They have to realize too that while we will try to understand the situations with their managers, we are also trying to build a better team and we will need them for matches that will be of a much lesser scale than that of the clubs. Everyone has their opinions but they need to understand too that when we arrange games to coincide with the international dates, it’s done so that it can be fair to everyone. Some guys need to understand that the people here have celebrated their achievements at the World Cup and they have been rewarded so in a way this can be payback to the country because it’s part of building for the future,” Rijsbergen added.
Fans may be curious about the omission of some players or the non-selection of others and Rijsbergen commented: “We are looking at all the players and we are trying to develop a relationship with all the clubs and coaches. If they tell me that some players are not performing then that means it’s not a guarantee you will be selected, even if you have been in the national team before.”
The two games against Nicaragua (October 7) and Panama (October 11) will be played at the Hasely Crawford Stadium kicking off at 6:30pm both dates. There are plans to play matches involving the National Under 17 and Under 20 teams as double headers. Tickets will be priced at $200 (covered stands) and $100 for uncovered. Kids in school uniform for the week-day match will be allowed in the uncovered section at no charge and for the weekend encounter kids under 12 will pay no cover charge.
News from the 27th of September 2006.

Scott Sealy is on an upswing.
By: Bob Luder (Kansas City Star).
[/size]

Kansas City Wizards and Trinidad & Tobago forward Scott Sealy has started scoring goals as team tries to make a push for the playoffs.

Thus far, Scott Sealy’s Major League Soccer season has been something akin to the Mamba at Worlds of Fun. There have been ups and downs. Actually, make that downs and ups. Fortunately for Sealy, and the Wizards, his season is at an apex. His goal in the second half last Saturday at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., salvaged a 1-1 draw with international team-mate Avery John's club the New England Revolution and an important point as the Wizards make a final push for the Eastern Conference playoffs.
It marked the fourth game out of the last five in which Sealy, a second-year forward from Trinidad & Tobago, had scored a goal and gave him the team lead for the year with eight (along with one assist). Yet ask Sealy how his season is going, and he responds with a weary look and shrug.
“I think this season has been emotionally draining,” he said.
Sealy’s numbers are quickly approaching the nine goals and two assists he put up during a stellar 2005 season. And yet, those stats didn’t seem to mean much when the Wizards opened preseason training camp back in mid-February. The club had just acquired striker Eddie Johnson from FC Dallas. They already had veteran forward Josh Wolff. All of a sudden, Wolff and Johnson, both of whom were slated to be on Bruce Arena’s U.S. World Cup squad, were talked about like they were the Wizards’ version of the Dream Team.
But that left no room for Sealy, who suddenly found himself as odd man out on the Wizards’ front line. “At the beginning of the season, there was nothing I could do right that would get me in there,” he said. “I think (then-coach) Bob Gansler had his starting lineup in his mind, and it wasn’t going to change.
“I just continued to train hard and wait for my opportunity.”
Sealy’s first opportunity came when Wolff and Johnson left early in the summer to be with the National Team for the World Cup. Wolff and Johnson returned in mid-July, but a series of minor injuries to one or the other provided Sealy with more opportunities and, this time, as he put it he “grabbed those opportunities with both hands.”
He scored the goal in a 1-0 win over FC Dallas Aug. 27 at Arrowhead Stadium. He scored the first goal in a 2-2 tie with the New York Red Bulls three days later at home. He scored just 36 seconds into a 4-1 home throttling of the Colorado Rapids Sept. 9, before his second-half heroics last Saturday in Foxborough. Until his hot foot cools off, Sealy can count on remaining in the starting lineup.
“As of late, Scotty’s made the most of his opportunities by putting the ball in the net,” said Wizards interim coach Brian Bliss. “He deserves to be in there. He’s being rewarded, and his team is being rewarded. “He’s the hot guy right now.” Sealy completed an outstanding rookie season appearing in 28 matches including 20 starts. Finished second on the team in scoring with 9 goals, setting a Wizards rookie scoring record in the process ... Led all rookies in scoring and was a finalist for MLS Rookie of the year.

College

Striker with exceptional vision who plays well with his back to the goal ... Finished his career second on the all-time list in goals (43) and points (108) at Wake Forest University.

2004: ACC Offensive player of the year ... Led Wake Forest with 17 goals and 10 assists ... All-ACC First Team selection ... NSCAA All American Second Team.

2003: Tied for the ACC lead in goals and points ... Named All-ACC Second Team.

2002: The team's third leading scorer with six goals and five assists ... Played in all 21 games with 20 starting assignments.

2001: Provided offensive spark as a freshman ... Scored nine goals, second-best on the team and the second most by any freshman in Wake Forest history.

High School/Club

Prep: Scored 55 goals and tallied 40 assists during his career at St. Mary's College (HS) in Trididad.

Club: Played in 4 games for Queens Park, racking up 11 goals and 8 assists in a short span.
Spann gets help from the skipper.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Midfielder Silvio Spann is still in England trying his best to get back to full fitness and now he’s getting some help from his National Team captain – Dwight Yorke. Spann revealed on Tuesday that Yorke has been in touch with him and is keen to help him make his entrance into English football after he also made his re-entry earlier this month at Sunderland FC. Yorke and Spann played together for the majority of the 2006 World Cup campaign before a hamstring injury forced him of the Germany Finals. Yorke also played with Spann’s father Leroy in the 1990 qualifying campaign.
“He’s always someone I looked up to. I remember the days when I was a baby and would see him with my father on the football field,” Spann said. “He knows my situation now and he’s offering advice and some assistance because he knows the works here and he has contacts and all of that. Right now I’m working daily to get back to full fitness and in the meantime trying to see what can come through with a deal here.” Spann added that he has had received word of interest from Ipswich Town and Southend.
News from the 26th of September 2006.

Yorke faces club versus country dilemma.
By: Nick Alexander (Sunderland FC).

Roy Keane will ask Dwight Yorke to miss two Trinidad and Tobago internationals early next month.
The Sunderland striker has been called into the latest Soca Warriors squad, for friendlies against Nicaragua and Panama in Trinidad.
But Black Cats boss Keane wants his former Manchester United team-mate to concentrate on life at Sunderland.
If Yorke goes, he faces two long flights and will be away from Wearside for nearly a fortnight, just at a time when he is starting to find his feet at Sunderland.
Keane said: "I've had a chat with Dwight and I'm due to speak with him again. I'll never begrudge a player the chance to play for his country, but it's getting the balance right.
"He's come to a new club here, he's looking to settle in and he's still looking for that bit of match sharpness.
"Dwight has said that it's a transitional period over there and that they are looking to use his experience. I haven't got a problem with that, but I think he's got to be fair to everyone and fair to himself.
"If he's going over there, playing two friendly matches and looking to come back and play for us, I think it's unrealistic.
"A lot of managers have to deal with this scenario. Dwight's not going to be around in the next World Cup, so he's got to be fair to himself. I'll be chatting to him and we'll see what is going to happen."
Yorke is due to leave for Trinidad directly after Sunderland's game against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday, linking up with his international team-mates in Port of Spain next Tuesday.
They play Nicaragua at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain on October 7 followed by a game against Panama four days later.
Yorke would then face a transatlantic flight - a 5,000-mile trip - arriving back in Sunderland the day before they go to Preston on October 14.
The former Manchester United striker, who played in the last World Cup in Germany, met Trinidad & Tobago coach Wim Rijsbergen last week to discuss his international future.
Rijsbergen said: "Dwight is of course trying to get back in the picture with Sunderland and he will try to help out as best as he can for the next two years.
"He was very positive and one of his goals is to play a part in the Gold Cup next year. Sooner or later he has to make a decision."
Yorke will now sit down with Keane before a decision is made about next week and his international future.
Meanwhile, according to reports coming out of Luton Town FC. Carlos' form at the World Cup and in the Championship this season has earned him an international recall. Luton Town's World Cup star Carlos Edwards will be back in international action for Trinidad and Tobago next month, after being called up for two international friendly matches against Nicaragua and Panama.
Both matches will take place on home soil and will be played at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Trinidad on October 7th (Nicaragua) and October 11th (Panama).
It will be the first time the Soca Warriors have played together since their brave exploits at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, and they are sure to receive a warm reception from their fanatical fans.
Edwards' has continued his sparkling form at the World Cup into the Championship this season, and has established himself as one of the most dangerous wingers in league football.
Despite being on international duty, Carlos will not miss any games for the Hatters, as the friendlies have been arranged to coincide with the international break.
News from the 22nd of September 2006.

Soca Warriors in live action at home.

Local fans will finally get a chance to see their “Soca Warriors” in action in the flesh since their appearance at the 2006 World Cup as the national team play hosts to two friendly internationals against Nicaragua and Panama at the Hasely Crawford Stadium next month.
This was confirmed by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation as it held its first planning committee meeting for the events on Thursday. Both games will be played at the Hasely Crawford Stadium with Nicaragua playing on the 7th and Panama on the 11th.
Originally there had been intentions of matches either against El Salvador or Canada but the Central American duo were the confirmed oppositions and will provide head coach Wim Rijsbergen with an ideal chance to work on building his team towards the 2007 Gold Cup and 2010 World Cup qualifiers.
Rijsbergen has already indicated that his team for the two friendlies will comprise a balance of the overseas pros as well as locally-based professionals. Both games will also be the last set for the senior team on home soil for 2006.
“This is all part of building the team for the future competitions,” Rijsbergen told TTFF Media this week. “We have seen what it is to play against the bigger teams and we have to develop the local players. But part of that process involves using the knowledge and the experience of the players we have in the foreign leagues with the players we will select from the local League. We will use these two games to work towards that because we have the Gold Cup next year and all this is part of getting the right team for the next World Cup,” Rijsbergen added.
Meantime, one player who will miss out of the two games is midfielder Silvio Spann. The former Perugia player is currently in England under rehab as he attempts to get back to full fitness following the hamstring injury which forced him out of the Germany World Cup.
Spann had been in training with Cardiff City but is not officially attached to a club due to not being one hundred percent fit. However, being a free agent, he does not have to wait until the new transfer window opens in January to sign a new deal.
“At the moment I’m focusing really hard on getting back fully fit,” Spann told TTFF Media, “I have been working out in England and trying to ensure that everything is fine with the injury. It’s not as bad as before but I’m still not back to full strength so I’m making sure that everything is done before I play again. There were a couple teams showing interest but obviously the injury held things back. I am aiming to negotiate something that will keep me as a player here,” he added.
In related news, one player Rijsbergen is sure to have his eyes on is Scottish based striker Jason Scotland who led First Division side St Johnstone to a convincing 3-0 win over Premier League team Dundee United on Tuesday. Scotland netted the first goal against his ex-team in the CIS Insurance Cup fixture.
Manager Owen Coyle later praised him and strike partner Steve Milne saying “We have a very good partnership up front and they showed their class. I was thrilled with the performance. We showed energy and enthusiasm right from the first minute and carried that throughout the game. When Jason scored, it put us on the front foot.” Scotland is currently the club’s topscorer with eight goals. He has three in the League behind leading marksman Colin McMenamin (six).
News from the 21st of September 2006.

Rijsbergen & UK pros discuss future roles.

National Team head coach Wim Rijsbergen arrived back in the country earlier this week from his Europe trip and is down to finalizing his squad for the two upcoming friendly internationals next month in Port of Spain.
Rijsbergen was in Berlin for the FIFA International Symposium for national coaches last week and he also stopped in England to touch base with some of this country’s players based there. Among his meetings was one with Sunderland signing Dwight Yorke as they discussed the player’s future involvement with the national team and its development towards South African 2010.
Rijsbergen also attended the Gillingham versus Swansea City Championship Division match in which he had a chance to see defenders Ian Cox, Dennis Lawrence and English-born defender Kevin Austin in action. Gillingham duo Kelvin Jack and Brent Sancho were out on rehab.
Commenting on the coaches symposium, the former Dutch international said discussions were held on possible changes to some laws relating to the game.
“It was really an evaluation of the World Cup and there were discussions on different things and possible changes to one or two of the rules, one of them  being some of the fouls and the offside rule. We had a chance to discuss matters in groups and this will now be taken back to FIFA and they will then think about it and decide if anything has to be done. There were several other talking points and the difference in opinions was also a good part of it as the overall organization of the past World Cup and the one for 2010 was also discussed,” Rijsbergen told TTFF Media on Wednesday.
On his visit to England, Rijsbergen noted that there was strong interest in the upcoming programme for the national team.
“I had a chance to see the Swansea/Gillingham match and there was some good talk with the players we have at those clubs. I also had the chance to talk to Dwight and he again indicated his intentions to help us in the near future and assist in the development of some of our younger players.
“Dwight is of course trying to get back in the picture with Sunderland and he will try to help out as best as he can for the next two years. The same goes for the some of other players we have on the outside. He was very positive and one of his goals is to play a part in the Gold Cup next year,” he told TTFF Media.
“Sooner or later he has to make a decision. He feels he can still be a part of international football and we can use his experience for this Gold Cup coming up and of course any international games which we will use to get some of the other guys ready for this level of the game in time for the competitions. This is why we will also use the other guys with international experience by mixing them with the local players. Hopefully this will be part of what’s to come in the two upcoming friendlies. This is of course the future set up for the World Cup. Dwight’s main goal is to give his best for Sunderland and for his country next two years and this could be a great help for the technical staff,” Rijsbergen said.
It was previously announced that T&T would play Canada in one of the two friendlies but there has since been a change with El Salvador now being T&T’s opponent on October 7 to be followed by the T&T versus Panama encounter on October 11.
News from the 16th of September 2006.

Theobald talks about trying times.
[/size]

National Team World Cup midfielder Densill Theobald is setting his sights on heading back out in hope of securing a long-term contract in January and has hence stayed away from signing any contracts with interested clubs in the T&T Pro League.
Theobald, back in the country after a short stint in England, was expecting to line up for Caledonia AIA in the FCB Cup on Friday but did not receive his international clearance in time. However he will stay with the club on a short term basis before heading back out to Europe at the end of the year.
Among the clubs interested in the former Malick Senior Comprehensive player is Champions’ League outfit Austria Salzburg. But Theobald was unable to visit the club in time due to a lack of visa before the transfer window closed earlier this month.
Theobald also spent one week on trial at English club Doncaster Rovers prior to the offer from Salzburg and he also has interest from a club each in Norway, Sweden and Israel.
Theobald admitted that the period following the World Cup in which he made three appearances against Sweden, England and Paraguay was a trying one for him. He explains his decision to terminate his contract with Falkirk FC.
“Definitely it was a trying period for me,” Theobald told TTFF Media. “I just want to get back on the field and start playing games. I’m craving that. Some clubs like San Juan Jabloteh and Joe Public have shown interest as well.”
“After the World Cup I had a slight injury and then I had the situation resolved with Falkirk. That was a decision I was comfortable with at the end of the day. It was a decision I also took with Russell and we both felt it was the best thing at the time. What influenced my decision at the time too was that the coach said before the World Cup that he didn’t think I would feature in the first team after the World Cup. For me that was a depressing thing to find out especially after the season when I had been trying my best to get into the starting team. I went to the World Cup and fortunately we were in good shape with the preparations and I got some decent playing time. Then to hear that I still may not feature in the Falkirk team was very disappointing. Then after all that, the  manager came and said he thinks I have a big part to play at the club. I didn’t know what to believe at the time,” said Theobald, adding that he had discussed with Latapy that the decision to leave would suit him once it seemed he would move on and get more play time.
Unfortunately with the injury and then the lack of travel documents to reach Austria in time meant Theobald would have to wait until the new year.
He also felt the article in the local media with T&T head coach Wim Rijsberen comments about his Falkirk exit was taken out of context.
“I really don’t think the national team coach would go in the public and make such a criticism because he knew all the time before under the former coach what was happening. But I have spoken to him and he knows my situation. I know he wants to be active and hopefully I will be back in the game before the end of 2006 and with something better to look forward to early next year,” Theobald added. He surely will hope to be in line for selection for the upcoming friendlies particularly the one versus Austria in Vienna on November 15.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 07:15:02 AM by Flex »

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: No Canada, El Salvador Oct 7, Panama Oct 11
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 05:23:09 PM »
RIJSBERGEN AND UK PROS DISCUSS FUTURE ROLES
By: Shaun Fuentes

It was previously announced that T&T would play Canada in one of the two friendlies but there has since been a change with El Salvador now being T&T’s opponent on October 7 to be followed by the T&T versus Panama encounter on October 11.

hmmmm ??? very interesting...ah wonder what happen to Canada....or was it a case of the TTFF just talking out of their a.. again? Hope we get to play some games dais all.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 05:31:35 PM »

hmmmm ??? very interesting...ah wonder what happen to Canada....or was it a case of the TTFF just talking out of their a.. again? Hope we get to play some games dais all.

Big Up!

Canada has not announced who they are playing Oct 11. They announced today that they will play Hungary on Nov 15.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 06:05:49 PM »
ent both these games is home games??

lard long time a good warriornation clip aint link up nah plus i tusty for natiopnal games badddddddd

morvant is when u omcin down again?
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 06:07:34 PM »
ent it was the same ting ah say when the game was supposedly announced! Ah had ah feeling dat Canada / TnT game was not going to get off.

Ah well...at least we still playing.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 07:52:30 PM »

OH NO ::)    and yall are so sursprised

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 07:55:13 PM »
i hope there'll be some friendlies in december because i coming down around that time.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 07:57:18 PM »
a december friendly or early january wud be real bess...cuz i go be home....but on a real i jus glad we actually playing some games...hope they doh bring no B squads tho
Back in Trini...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 10:16:38 PM »
The 7th bad but I dey on the 11th
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 05:13:38 AM »
The way things going, i will be glad whoever we play on the 7th and 11th.

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 05:47:01 AM »
ES will be a an easier opponent than Canada.  Hopefully we will meet in Gold Cup.

As for Canada, we have Jamaica in October and a tough match against Hungary in Budapest in November. 

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: No Canada, El Salvador Oct 7, Panama Oct 11.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 07:20:38 AM »
Anybody we play, it going and be tough.

I hope we have a good squad out with a nice mix of players!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Darkromeo

• New Warrior
  • Tru Tru warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 08:45:54 AM »
who ever they play i dey 4 sure ;) bless

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 08:54:06 AM »
who ever they play i dey 4 sure ;) bless

who ever we play boss.............is which part u from guam?
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Darkromeo

• New Warrior
  • Tru Tru warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 09:14:02 AM »
wit ah name like dat sound like u from guam  "Mohun Biswas"????????????  :rotfl: but yuh know wat ah mean nah
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 09:17:09 AM by Darkromeo »

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 11:33:31 AM »

hmmmm ??? very interesting...ah wonder what happen to Canada....or was it a case of the TTFF just talking out of their a.. again?

well cmon on now, do you even have to ask that question?!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 11:36:38 AM by supporter »
Hart for president

1]; } ?>