April 26, 2024, 07:55:18 PM

Author Topic: Leonsen Lewis: Pro League on the rise.  (Read 13664 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Leonsen Lewis: Pro League on the rise.
« on: September 22, 2006, 05:47:49 AM »
Leonsen Lewis: Pro League on the rise.
By: Vinod Narwani (ttproleague).
[/size]

Former Trinidad and Tobago striker Leonson Lewis is satisfied with the standard of football at the Pro League level. He told ‘TT Pro League Media’ the 10 teams vying for supremacy this season have put up a good showing thus far. "The standard definitely seems to be improving," said Lewis.
"It seems that the CEO of the T&T Pro League (Dexter Skeene) has done a lot to see a rise at both the senior and youth level. As the years go by, the league would only get better."
Lewis did not spare football analysts and coaches who continuously bring down TT-based professionals and lifting up the foreign-based players.
He used the example of the 1989 Strike Squad, which he represented, as being loaded with talent and making the entire nation proud.
"First of all, I think it is ridiculous that a coach would only want foreign-based players. We had no foreign-based players in 1989 and look how close we got to the World Cup. Added to that, all the players that eventually ended up getting foreign contracts first plied their trade here in Trinidad and Tobago.
The former speedy striker believes, coaches try to find an easy way out, thinking they will just get foreign-based players to make their jobs easier.
But he says, "It does not make their jobs any easier because, regardless of the player, it’s the job of the coach to coach the players and tell them how they want them to play."
"I am very disappointed when coaches only look for foreign-based players because we have some of the most talented players in the Pro League such as Aurtis Whitley (CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh), Andre Toussaint (Vibe CT 105 W Connection) and others."
Lewis, who played professionally in Portugal, is currently an assistant coach, at W Connection, and led the Savonnetta Boys’ Under-14 side to victory in this year’s youth league.
Having scrutinized all the youth teams in the competition, the ex-national player felt this country’s football is in good hands.
He said it is an enjoyable experience working with the youngsters who are enthusiastic to make it to the top.
"I have a good bunch of players at W Connection and I have already earmarked some guys for the 2014 World Cup campaign. I have about four to five players that I will be coaching again next year, with the intention of grooming them for when their time comes to represent Trinidad and Tobago at the international level."
Touching on T&T’s chances for the next World Cup in South Africa, Lewis said new coach Wim Rijsbergen needs to take a different approach to that of Leo Beenhakker.
He said: "I was satisfied that we reached to Germany, but I didn’t like the way we played at the World Cup. The preparation games before the tournament didn’t please me either… it was too defensive."
"I don’t think that the system that we played portrayed the best of our footballing talent, and I hope that Rijsbergen turns out to be a more attacking and better offensive coach than Beenhakker."
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 05:49:56 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Leonsen Lewis: Pro League on the rise.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 07:36:45 AM »
Well Leonson jump on the 'Beenhaker too defensive' bandwagon  :-\ Can't agree with that one. Beenie was more defensive in the latter WC qualifiers when he started packing a 5 man midfield and playing Stern alone up top (after the US away loss). He reverted to a more attacking formation in the 2nd leg do or die Bahrain..and those are the same attacking formations he used against England and Paraguay.

You could criticize him for not playing Latas enough, but the players he brough into games instead of Latas were all attacking in nature (Jones, Wise and Glenn)..If Beenie was so defensive, he would have started pakced the middle every game and played one man up top. He would have locked up shop against England well before the 80th minute when it looked like we could get a tie..he didn't.

Paradoxically, the most atacking formation in the WC (Brazil), played the most boring 'defensive' football. Furthermore, three of the four WC semifinalists (France, Italy and Portugal) and both finalists, played with a  packed 5 man midfield..2 defensive midield destroyers and 1 forward.

Beenie was not defensive..T&T just defended alot because our opposition was  a little better than us for the most part. Also, Latas does not light up every game he plays. There is not telling if he would have changed anything against England or Sweden (I have seen him completely shut down by lesser teams like the US and Costs Rica). But go ahead..blame Beenie for many things, blame him for not playing Latas enough..that is fair...but being defensive? Time to get over it. All the attack and talent T&T has had over the years and cannot make a note on the World Stage. All of a sudden we should have played a different type of football than what got us to the WC...steups. T&T was just not good enough to attack the teams we played against with any consistency. I tink we woulda colleck some rotted cutass if we tried to play to open anyway. Not even the WC finalists were that naive. Where did out so called T&T football taeke us in previos WCs...oh yeah..nowhere :-[

Doh study it Loenson..you still my favorite. Respect for bigging up the league and the T&T youths. I want you and Latas to take the reins of the senior team for WC 2014. Leonson Lewis..BIG BIG Player

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 07:42:56 AM by Filho »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 08:46:44 AM »
Well Leonson jump on the 'Beenhaker too defensive' bandwagon  :-\ Can't agree with that one. Beenie was more defensive in the latter WC qualifiers when he started packing a 5 man midfield and playing Stern alone up top (after the US away loss). He reverted to a more attacking formation in the 2nd leg do or die Bahrain..and those are the same attacking formations he used against England and Paraguay.

You could criticize him for not playing Latas enough, but the players he brough into games instead of Latas were all attacking in nature (Jones, Wise and Glenn)..If Beenie was so defensive, he would have started pakced the middle every game and played one man up top. He would have locked up shop against England well before the 80th minute when it looked like we could get a tie..he didn't.

Paradoxically, the most atacking formation in the WC (Brazil), played the most boring 'defensive' football. Furthermore, three of the four WC semifinalists (France, Italy and Portugal) and both finalists, played with a  packed 5 man midfield..2 defensive midield destroyers and 1 forward.

Beenie was not defensive..T&T just defended alot because our opposition was  a little better than us for the most part. Also, Latas does not light up every game he plays. There is not telling if he would have changed anything against England or Sweden (I have seen him completely shut down by lesser teams like the US and Costs Rica). But go ahead..blame Beenie for many things, blame him for not playing Latas enough..that is fair...but being defensive? Time to get over it. All the attack and talent T&T has had over the years and cannot make a note on the World Stage. All of a sudden we should have played a different type of football than what got us to the WC...steups. T&T was just not good enough to attack the teams we played against with any consistency. I tink we woulda colleck some rotted cutass if we tried to play to open anyway. Not even the WC finalists were that naive. Where did out so called T&T football taeke us in previos WCs...oh yeah..nowhere :-[

Doh study it Loenson..you still my favorite. Respect for bigging up the league and the T&T youths. I want you and Latas to take the reins of the senior team for WC 2014. Leonson Lewis..BIG BIG Player

I had a similar post when the criticism had started. The fact is we aren't good enough. We played against World Class players and seasoned professionals of top European leagues. As much as we love our team and our players in order for us to really go to next level we need to acknowledge our current position. Our players simply do not compare with most of the other teams at that level. There are very few exceptions.

I looked at that Sweden game and tried to be objective as possible. All the shit men talk about Stern in the end he performed a role that was necessary. No other foward on that side ,except Yorke who was needed elsewhere, would been able to control and distributed as well as Stern. That said he is too easily neutralised because of his lack of mobility.

If you're a heart patient you can't bare to watch Glenn run. As fast as he is, that running style is so unorthodoxed and wild I'm not surprised that he injured so often.When he's running he looks like he could trip and fall on his own accord at any time. I ent trying to bring down the team we just need to realise how far we have to go. Denzil didn't make 2 good successive passes in the whole game. Not even the defensive effort at the back was up to standard with the world game. We spent half that game clearing the ball back into the hands of the Swedes. Look at any Spanish or Italian league game and see the process of interception at the back to redistribution the ball to launch an attack. Our players did their very best. Carlos, Yorke and Hislop were outstanding. Apart from that we scraping by in terms of quality. The real story about this team is the heart not the quality.

England could have scored 5 on us on another day. Most of our attacks came from set pieces. And it wasn't as if we weren't trying. Lennon came on killed us on the right. All Cyd could do was foul.

I've said all this to show how flawed the reasoning is for their criticism is. We just don't have the quality yet. Let us work hard to build a team that can compete at the world stage technically and physically.I'm glad that Leonson sees the importance of future development. 2014 is the team I'm excited about. Knox, Paul, Cyrus,O'neil will be there I'm sure.

Regarding his criticsim of the coach's decision not to play the games because of a lack of foreign based pros , I support him. However one of the things Corneal said was that the level of intensity in the pro-league is so much lower than international football that the foreign based players automatically make the transition more easily than locals. The claim about the Pro-League improving deserves some scrutiny. Is he referring to the competitiveness of the league or of technical improvement ?Is he talking about increased levels of fitness and speed of play or is just referring to the fact that there is still a title race ? The  Pro-league in my view is still very slow. There good players yes but we need to play faster.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 08:48:51 AM »
Leoson Lewis talking rel sense...We have talent in the PFL..and I think it moving in the right direction...We were very defensive in the WC but small thing...Toussaint supposed to make National long time...I don't know how he not getting pick...But we will see...The PFL will improve...As long as they develop young players and youth leagues like they are already doing then it only have up to go...Overall I wouldn't say pick all local talent but at least give a man who deserve it a chance...Now is the time to bring out local players and try to get them in Europe or a high standard league...They will only get that from caps...There is opportunities for players to go overseas but look how many does get turn down because of lack of caps...Then our selection is based on who know who and things of that nature...therefore a man will stay home because even though he good and could make the national team,which he not getting pick for because a coach don't like him or know him or something, therefore no caps...We supposed to be scheduling lots of games against weak opposition, then progressively play better teams, but in the process take local young talent and integrate them so that more opportunities will open for them and we will have more experienced players ...who ever could make the grade moves on....Go T&T
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 09:01:39 AM by Ponnoxx »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 08:54:29 AM »
Leoson Lewis talking rel sense...We have talent in the PFL..and I think it moving in the right direction...We were very defensive in the WC but small thing...Toussaint supposed to make National long time...I don't know how he not getting pick...But we will see

Is becuase he from south 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 09:05:31 AM »
Leoson Lewis talking rel sense...We have talent in the PFL..and I think it moving in the right direction...We were very defensive in the WC but small thing...Toussaint supposed to make National long time...I don't know how he not getting pick...But we will see

Is becuase he from south
  :rotfl:...triniman allyuh good yes...This is not even a hardest case...the man prove himself better than the players home..Now no one wouldn't really rate the PFL but if that is the case then they shouldn't pick no PFL men if they can't pick the best ...that is all I saying...I does say they don't pick men from south because THAT could be the only reason he not getting pick

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 09:11:11 AM »
I respect Lewis but not some of his view points....

Secondly...Skeene left a bad taste in my mouth after that interview.....with Skeene's attitude...I don't think he is making the type of contribution somone else could make..... :thumbsdown:
Warrior For Life !!

TrinInfinite

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 10:10:52 AM »

Is becuase he from south
:rotfl:...triniman allyuh good yes...This is not even a hardest case...the man prove himself better than the players home..Now no one wouldn't really rate the PFL but if that is the case then they shouldn't pick no PFL men if they can't pick the best ...that is all I saying...I does say they don't pick men from south because THAT could be the only reason he not getting pick

allyuh laughin, touissant fall otu wit JW about 2 years ago and has been black listed, thats the only reason andre not on de team, he could more than make that team, one of the most talented players in trinidad but cant make the team, is other reasons that would make real fellahs mad on here and has made me mad also...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 10:21:10 AM »

Is becuase he from south

allyuh laughin, touissant fall otu wit JW about 2 years ago and has been black listed, thats the only reason andre not on de team, he could more than make that team, one of the most talented players in trinidad but cant make the team, is other reasons that would make real fellahs mad on here and has made me mad also...

which striker would you put toussaint ahead of that went to the WC?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 10:23:03 AM »

Secondly...Skeene left a bad taste in my mouth after that interview.....with Skeene's attitude...I don't think he is making the type of contribution somone else could make..... :thumbsdown:

How you could form an opinion of the man based on some interview...you don't even know the medium.  You doh think it make more sense to judge him based on his work instead of "ah doh like him."
Allyuh went way overboard with that interview blowing it out of proportion.
I respect yuh opinion but i jut doh think the interview is any gauge of what he is doing.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 10:47:59 AM »
The Same old Strike squad story- Good post about the Pro League. He should have stopped there- If , what was, Too defensive.
 Forgetting what lies behind we move on to what lies ahead.
 The Good is often the enemy of the Best.
 We should be moving from good to great. The strike squad had its day, the curtain is closed- please Gally tell the boys to get on with their lives.
 What next a remembrance Game?

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 10:52:52 AM »
 Triniman...The man could play other positions... Theobald was a left link? Nope...So how he make the team...You ever see this man play?

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 11:03:41 AM »
When i see posts like this i feel good,this is coming from someone who is involved with T&T Football on a daily basis,has the knowledge and experience to say the things he is saying.

Although i'm not in T&T but i'm an advocate for the local guys and it's nice to hear our Football is on the rise,is the second person in a week i heard say that Shabazz/Lewis,i pray for the day when our Pro league can stand with the best in the world just like our national team did,some people are just so quick to criticize/bring down  what ever going on at home.  

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 11:11:13 AM »
It always amaze me how we does take ah whole positive thread and make it into ah fight down. The man talking about our local league and how it improving, which augers well with the future of our football. I fully agree with him in that aspect, all that missing now is the support from the people. I guess it is easier to jump on the last 6 lines of the article and talk about an issue that was debated ah hundred times on here already. Lets move on and work on the future and big up we local league for once nah..

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 12:32:17 PM »
Triniman...The man could play other positions... Theobald was a left link? Nope...So how he make the team...You ever see this man play?

well leo see him play may times over at pro league games  i know fuh sure  and he was in the selected squad that lincoln picked to try out for leo when he first came  and he was not picked maybe it is becuase leo was not impressed  , maybe he not good enough or maybe he is from south as you say... because they  prefer to pic a so so north player than a real good south player

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 12:37:27 PM »

How you could form an opinion of the man based on some interview...you don't even know the medium.  You doh think it make more sense to judge him based on his work instead of "ah doh like him."
Allyuh went way overboard with that interview blowing it out of proportion.
I respect yuh opinion but i jut doh think the interview is any gauge of what he is doing.

Okay DCS......so what did YOU think about the interview ??
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 01:01:37 PM »
It always amaze me how we does take ah whole positive thread and make it into ah fight down. The man talking about our local league and how it improving, which augers well with the future of our football. I fully agree with him in that aspect, all that missing now is the support from the people. I guess it is easier to jump on the last 6 lines of the article and talk about an issue that was debated ah hundred times on here already. Lets move on and work on the future and big up we local league for once nah..

Big Up!

because it is a free medium and I can choose to agree or disagree with any aspect of the article. I could care less what the general gist was...Leonson made some points I felt like taking issue with. It's not a fight down..it is a debate and you can add to it or ignore it. I don't like this attitude of '95% of it was nice..leave the other 5% alone, nah'. I 'm free to discuss any point I'd like...why are people so afraid to here someone disagree with somebody

besides..I saved the positivity for the end. I did big up Leonson and the parts of the article I thought were great. he is my favorite all time T&T player too. You can find many threads where I make that clear, including this one. Don't be so afraid of a debate. Every point of what is said is open to discussion...not just the general tone

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 01:31:05 PM »
I hear you brother Filho ;D, but my point was not really to say doh debate, but it was about what you started with, something we rundown and thrashed talk about plenty plenty already..and your point is well noted..all I was saying is why turn this one into another "why we played so defensive in the WC" thread and whether Bennie was right or wrong....by no means ah trying to stiffle you or prevent ah debate..because me know me can't do that..I was just like you expressing myself about an issue and I stated where I stand. Mucho respecto filho!  :)

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 01:48:38 PM »
I hear you brother Filho ;D, but my point was not really to say doh debate, but it was about what you started with, something we rundown and thrashed talk about plenty plenty already..and your point is well noted..all I was saying is why turn this one into another "why we played so defensive in the WC" thread and whether Bennie was right or wrong....by no means ah trying to stiffle you or prevent ah debate..because me know me can't do that..I was just like you expressing myself about an issue and I stated where I stand. Mucho respecto filho!  :)

Big Up!

Respek breds...I hear yah loud and clear. I will let dat one res' den. Big up Leonson Lewis. When we seeing a next one like him?????

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 10:14:16 PM »
Okay DCS......so what did YOU think about the interview ??

Dat it wasn't the best interview in the world.  I doh know if it was because of the medium or if he is just not a big marketing person (like LP).  According to this he does in fact have the credentials.
Skeene appointed CEO of T&T Pro League

In any case I believe he is doing a good job so I really didn't care if he had a bad interview so I don't think I commented on that thread.  People brought up valid points about the need for more marketing and it is true alot can come from him.  But the top position in the Pro League is not paying no big set of $$ so I have respect for people who are brave enough to step up to the plate with whatever skills they have and give it their best shot regardless of the inevitable nit picking.
If he can get the league to improve and there is more income then more talent can be bought on board to help boost attendance.

As for Leonson's interview.  After Wim's challenge it is not surprising that many people involved in the local game are going to be making statements that the league is in fact strong yada yada.  It doh really matter what anybody say...the quality will be on the field for everyone to see.  That make Touches and dem match report that much more important. :beermug:
That will have a bigger impact on the success of the league than any marketing tactics or smooth talking from a CEO.

As for being more attacking .....  if Leonson and his peers can get their players to play the game a little faster   ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:25:36 PM by dcs »

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 11:03:13 PM »
Playing against Leo in his youth days when he was the leader of The Bionic Bunch and I was leading   Santos, I would always manners Leo, I also remember when Jack Warner gave Leo and myself the award for best players in South. I am very pleased to see Leo is working with the youths. Leo is so Right about Beenie not allowing our guys at the WC to play our game. I can understand a coach wants to play a defensive system, but when you have possession of the ball at least allow the guys to try and play their game and not have then running around like chickens without a head. Leo just keep working with our youths because there is where the future of TT fooball lives.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2006, 06:00:08 AM »
Playing against Leo in his youth days when he was the leader of The Bionic Bunch and I was leading   Santos, I would always manners Leo, I also remember when Jack Warner gave Leo and myself the award for best players in South. I am very pleased to see Leo is working with the youths. Leo is so Right about Beenie not allowing our guys at the WC to play our game. I can understand a coach wants to play a defensive system, but when you have possession of the ball at least allow the guys to try and play their game and not have then running around like chickens without a head. Leo just keep working with our youths because there is where the future of TT fooball lives.

what is our game??? ???

Trinidad is not an all out attacking team. Which team we ever run over and with our "attacking flair" building up to the WC pre Beenie. Wat we see at the WC was T&T at their best.

Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 06:16:03 AM »

you all does suprise me yes :rotfl: how long did they have the ball against England and Sweden to play "our" game  ;) i believe our warriors were trying to win the ball against england and Sweden but you call that running around ;D.  you actually think leo prevented us from playing "our" game when we had the ball  ??? BTW explain "our" game is "our" THE game  we have been playing over  game fuh years that bring people like you  me and all the die hard fans  tears  heartache and pain :'( ?  just asking  ;D

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2006, 06:44:36 AM »

r u really a coach

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2006, 07:26:42 AM »
To those of you who love T&T football -Why? Is it only because yuh from T&T, and yuh patriotic, or is it because we have players in Europe, or is it because of the style of play we have exhibited over the years? Or finally is it because we make de WC?

Those of us who have been T&T fans over the years know about the offensive style of play that have allowed most of us to become fanatics of OUR game.  :devil: :rotfl:

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2006, 07:44:50 AM »

you really think we were doing what has (been underline and put in bold above), during Beenie tenure as coach?

TrinInfinite

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2006, 09:41:45 AM »
Playing against Leo in his youth days when he was the leader of The Bionic Bunch and I was leading Santos, I would always manners Leo, I also remember when Jack Warner gave Leo and myself the award for best players in South. I am very pleased to see Leo is working with the youths. Leo is so Right about Beenie not allowing our guys at the WC to play our game. I can understand a coach wants to play a defensive system, but when you have possession of the ball at least allow the guys to try and play their game and not have then running around like chickens without a head. Leo just keep working with our youths because there is where the future of TT fooball lives.

good point, i guess only a few people see trinidad's ability, the rest stuck on the advice a foreign coach who has seen for the most 2 years of our football and we did run over teams in our past, from the 70's till now, of recent we havent but we have in the past, i dont understand when fellahs talk and say we have no attacking flair in we football, from what i remember as a child flair was our middle name, trinis dont like broing football, what makes allyuh think all of a sudden we are now and hgistorically a defensive team with no attack, allyuh livin in a bubble or juss being ignorant...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 10:23:34 AM »
Playing against Leo in his youth days when he was the leader of The Bionic Bunch and I was leading Santos, I would always manners Leo, I also remember when Jack Warner gave Leo and myself the award for best players in South. I am very pleased to see Leo is working with the youths. Leo is so Right about Beenie not allowing our guys at the WC to play our game. I can understand a coach wants to play a defensive system, but when you have possession of the ball at least allow the guys to try and play their game and not have then running around like chickens without a head. Leo just keep working with our youths because there is where the future of TT fooball lives.

good point, i guess only a few people see trinidad's ability, the rest stuck on the advice a foreign coach who has seen for the most 2 years of our football and we did run over teams in our past, from the 70's till now, of recent we havent but we have in the past, i dont understand when fellahs talk and say we have no attacking flair in we football, from what i remember as a child flair was our middle name, trinis dont like broing football, what makes allyuh think all of a sudden we are now and hgistorically a defensive team with no attack, allyuh livin in a bubble or juss being ignorant...

TI, please go back and read the posts without a biased agenda and realize that noone is saying we don't want or aren't capable of playing attractive football, or that we don't have talented players. When someone talks about 'our football' try to look at the entire picture...the good and the bad. I believe that Beenhaker was able to improve some of the bad..tactical discipline, organization, mental concentration. I also think the team was not as defensive as some say..that is all.

Ironically..u seem to be the only one living in a bubble. The past is over with and the football of the past is dead. The game is quicker, more technical and tactical. So let us deal with the present and the future. U r prone to use the past to rate T&T football but the game is evolving, and our players are in danger of falling behind the curve. It makes me feel good when my favorite T&T player of all time says he believes we have some deadly youths coming through the ranks...but the past is the past, We can all be proud of it, but it not doing any thing for us right now. Of course aspect of our football culture will always be important to us...but we have evoleve with the modern game and that includes shoring up the weakness inherent in 'our game' as well.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2006, 11:46:57 AM »

I'm all for good football- Its the only football I believe in. However it is important to understand that in order to play that type of football at the highest level today requires a certain type of player.

In previous threads I criticised some posters for comparing Ghana's to ours at the world cup. It just isn't a fair comparison. We are not on the same level technically or physically as Ghana. At our present level it would be impossible to look as good as they did with the players we have. Look closely at Ghana play and what is evident is that as much as the players have skill and played with flair, they also possess rather impressive athletic qualities. Their endurance,strength, agility, acceration and top speed are generally superior ours. Add to that the fact that virtually the entire first 11 comprises of starters in top division teams in Europe. We don't have Essien, Appiah and Muntare.

Consider the fact that Otis and Denzil where 2 of the best products of the Pro- League and were both ineffective at luanching attacks. Stern was immobile and Glen is all speed and very little else. We did not play the football you are talking about becuase we could not. You need to focus on function before you can deal with form. The flair you speak about is a natural part of the Trinidadian game. It is worth noting that the Trinidadian game has only recently entered the world stage.  There is a great need for the Trinidadian player to improve technically and athletically. The pro-league is doing its part by creating an environment of professionalism. But the real change must come from the youth. Until we can run with the best consistently we can't worry about flicks and tricks.

This is where the Americans are beating us. Look at the MLS - boring and ugly as shit yet we would struggle against a USA  team of MLS players. The pass and move better than we do. They may not be are creative or have an eye for the pretty but they'd probably beat us nonetheless. And that's just USA. They aren't even a 2nd tier team.

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2006, 09:14:05 PM »
I can understand when you say that they are somewhat better physically, but can you explain in specific terms what you mean by they are better that us technically.

As I see it, when you have 11 of the best players in TT on field, you can't say that they don't have technical skills. When players are not playing as a team they will look scrapy and less technical, but this where a coach must bond a team and have players use their skills to make this game simple.

1]; } ?>