March 28, 2024, 12:08:07 PM

Author Topic: Earthquake in Trinidad  (Read 21094 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake in Trinidad
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2006, 11:23:04 AM »
Glad everyone is okay

just called home to hear meh mudda heart in she hand still
she good china break but she say is materialitic ting....now ting like dat does confused me
cause when ah break she coffee cup when ah was small, she cut meh ass and ask meh if i didn't know how much it cost >:(

ah hang up yes >:(

:rotfl:  U harsh woman.. ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2006, 11:42:32 AM »
Rock and Roll people! Sounds like everyone is ok - hope so.

Heard from my mother-in-law in Point-a-Pierre, so they still have phone down there. Looks like it was centered closer to North though.

6.1 is pretty good - can do some damage if centered in the right place. I've been through a couple of those -including the 89 Loma Prieta quake here in California - that was even a 7.1 or something.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 11:51:14 AM by e-man »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2006, 11:53:36 AM »
Things mus be Ok .. here is a recent exchange between an ex-pat and his cousin

> >To: "<***@hotmail.com>
> >Subject: Earthquake
> >Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:04:24 -0400
> >
> >You OK?.
> >
> >
> >
> >Your cousin overseas
> >
-----Original Message-----
>From: [***@hotmail.com]
>Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 12:28 PM
>To: xxx@yyy.com
>Subject: RE: Earthquake
>
>
>Just a little shaken, but otherwise fine.
>
>Your cousin in T&T
>

>To: "'***@hotmail.com>
>Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:05:26 -0400
>
>
>How shaken were you cousin?
>
>I know you said 'just a little shaken', but with a 6.0 magnitude, the
>effects may remain for a while.  I hope the shock will not sway you and the
>country from remain stable in the days to come.  On the other hand, if you
>tremor any time you feel the earth move under your feet, that will
>inevitably leave you on shaky ground.  But I suspect that mentally, you are
>as solid as a rock and few bumps along the road will not be unlike the
>gentle rocking of the motion of the ocean, assuming of course that the
>tides >remain in your favour.
>
>Trusting that all is in order and you do not feel like every thing is
>falling down around you,
>
>I remain your faithful cousin overseas
>

Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 1:42 PM
To: xxx@yyy.com
Subject: RE: Earthquake

Thanks for the nice vibrations you are sending us. It has stopped us from
quaking and the walls from tumbling down. It seems that some shifting plates
caused the whole plate-shifting experience. And all the commotion excited
the pictures on my wall and they all started swinging, but they quickly came
back down to earth. But I won't let it sway me. This whole experience has
left me rocking to the song "I feel the earth move under my feet."

Your shaken but not stirred cousin in T&T

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2006, 11:56:38 AM »
Glad everyone is okay

just called home to hear meh mudda heart in she hand still
she good china break but she say is materialitic ting....now ting like dat does confused me
cause when ah break she coffee cup when ah was small, she cut meh ass and ask meh if i didn't know how much it cost >:(

ah hang up yes >:(

Oh gaaawwddd...ah like that one dread...LMAO.. :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2006, 11:57:45 AM »
Things mus be Ok .. here is a recent exchange between an ex-pat and his cousin

> >To: "<***@hotmail.com>
> >Subject: Earthquake
> >Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:04:24 -0400
> >
> >You OK?.
> >
> >
> >
> >Your cousin overseas
> >
>From: [***@hotmail.com]
>Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 12:28 PM
>To: xxx@yyy.com
>
>
>Just a little shaken, but otherwise fine.
>
>Your cousin in T&T
>

>To: "'***@hotmail.com>
>Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:05:26 -0400
>
>
>How shaken were you cousin?
>
>I know you said 'just a little shaken', but with a 6.0 magnitude, the
>effects may remain for a while.  I hope the shock will not sway you and the
>country from remain stable in the days to come.  On the other hand, if you
>tremor any time you feel the earth move under your feet, that will
>inevitably leave you on shaky ground.  But I suspect that mentally, you are
>as solid as a rock and few bumps along the road will not be unlike the
>gentle rocking of the motion of the ocean, assuming of course that the
>tides >remain in your favour.
>
>Trusting that all is in order and you do not feel like every thing is
>falling down around you,
>
>I remain your faithful cousin overseas
>

Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 1:42 PM
To: xxx@yyy.com
Subject: RE: Earthquake

Thanks for the nice vibrations you are sending us. It has stopped us from
quaking and the walls from tumbling down. It seems that some shifting plates
caused the whole plate-shifting experience. And all the commotion excited
the pictures on my wall and they all started swinging, but they quickly came
back down to earth. But I won't let it sway me. This whole experience has
left me rocking to the song "I feel the earth move under my feet."

Your shaken but not stirred cousin in T&T

Humour does run in yuh family ah see.   ;D
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2006, 12:29:38 PM »
Just had an aftershock around 2.25pm that was kinda heavy and i in bago

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2006, 12:36:43 PM »
yeah .. meh cuz jes told me as well

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2006, 12:38:19 PM »
Buh wha dee ass is this...ah jus call me mom home in TnT and she tell me there was another one AGAIN not more than 5 minutes before I called...ah tell her "like ah goh have to stop calling, ah seem to be causing it"?   ;D

Streess yes

Offline warriorchic

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »
Yeah we had an aftershock at around 2:24 PM tt time. It was not as intense as the first one though

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2006, 01:02:18 PM »
Earthquake Details

Magnitude   5.5 (Moderate)

Date-Time   ·  Friday, September 29, 2006 at 18:23:09 (UTC)= Coordinated Universal Time ·  Friday, September 29, 2006 at 2:23:09 PM = local time at epicenter

Location   10.790°N, 61.870°W

Depth   89.7 km (55.7 miles) set by location program

Region   OFFSHORE SUCRE, VENEZUELA
Distances   40 km (25 miles) WNW of PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad55 km (35 miles) ENE of Guiria, Venezuela130 km (80 miles) WSW of Scarborough, Tobago140 km (90 miles) S of SAINT GEORGE'S, Grenada

Location Uncertainty   horizontal +/- 8.9 km (5.5 miles); depth fixed by location program

Parameters   Nst=109, Nph=109, Dmin=899.6 km, Rmss=0.89 sec, Gp=122°,M-type=body magnitude (Mb), Version=7

Source   USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID   ustfbp

Offline dyansie

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2006, 01:43:14 PM »
it had a second one

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2006, 01:51:19 PM »
Well I ain't calling home again fur dat nah  >:(

Ah really don't wanna hear "look chile - I push ya ass out, ah could push ya back in easy"  ::)

So allyuh keep meh updated.  :devil:

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2006, 01:58:55 PM »
ONLY IN TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

* earthquake on ah Friday just in time fur weekend and early start tur after work lime
* earthquake in full swing and everybody headin fur Western Main Road St James and early bird special by Bunty
* earthquake happening on pay day - so excuses tur dey wife is, girl steups, dey line long at dey bank, so I ain't worry tur join in...
* god is a trinidadian so nothing ain't go happen tur we....so girl trus' in dey lord and pass dey drinks :beermug:

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2006, 02:20:29 PM »

* earthquake on ah Friday just in time fur weekend and early start tur after work lime
* earthquake in full swing and everybody headin fur Western Main Road St James and early bird special by Bunty
* earthquake happening on pay day - so excuses tur dey wife is, girl steups, dey line long at dey bank, so I ain't worry tur join in...
* god is a trinidadian so nothing ain't go happen tur we....so girl trus' in dey lord and pass dey drinks :beermug:

Brodder yuh give me a serious Tabancca dey with that talk...I outside for 5 years and ah does still ketch the vibe to hit a lil Pelos on a Friday (ah know Pelos gone through now)....[sigh] nothing like sweet TnT  when it come to impromptu limes especially on a Friday afterwork.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2006, 02:28:51 PM »

Brodder yuh give me a serious Tabancca dey with that talk...I outside for 5 years and ah does still ketch the vibe to hit a lil Pelos on a Friday (ah know Pelos gone through now)....[sigh] nothing like sweet TnT  when it come to impromptu limes especially on a Friday afterwork.

Ah jus waiting for Cana to reply to dis one...in anodder thread she jus boast about finally proving to be ah ooman and now dis  :o  :rotfl:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2006, 03:59:39 PM »

DeSoWa ya whatless - but ah like it ;D

Dear Phensic

Welcome to dey bestest forum it have on dey internet. Here you would meet all kinda people. Man, Woman, Boy, Girl and Animal.  Some, treat you like family and invite you to their house for Sunday callaloo, others well let me just say brace ya back. Lemme introduce meh self. I am dey one dey call TriniCana aka MuFF PuFF aka Rookmin V. Maharaj....some does call meh whatless and slacker, others call meh bitch.  :'(

Anyways, if you look closely at my profile you will notice that there is nothing to reflect that I am a Brodder...infact Sir Phensic if you look down at my signature; let me post it for you to understand where I'm coming from.
"Milk, Milk, Lemonade around the corner Fudge is made". This should be able to rectify any mis-understanding in your mind that I am man. Unless you know of Men that have man boobs. Just point me in their direction, because I'll have ah view words for them.

I look forward to your continued support and ole talk in the forum and I hope you enjoy your stay. So introduce yourself to the rest of us nah. Like what part of the world ya sitting in, Chinese ?

Brest Regards
Cana  ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 04:02:24 PM by TriniCana »

Offline d1onlysexysugar

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2006, 04:04:36 PM »
it was the strongest i've ever felt ... (after 9 a.m.) numerous parents  San do Girls' started callin, askin if we gonna over school early cuz other schools in town were over ...d aftershock was round 2.00 p.m. thank God there weren't any reported deaths so far ... have a safe wk. end folks... go 2 church...  :angel:
ADM

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2006, 04:06:02 PM »
Ah feel after reading dis, he go have to take 2 Phensic and go lie down oui  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2006, 04:07:06 PM »

Dear Phensic

Welcome to dey bestest forum it have on dey internet. Here you would meet all kinda people. Man, Woman, Boy, Girl and Animal.  Some, treat you like family and invite you to their house for Sunday callaloo, others well let me just say brace ya back. Lemme introduce meh self. I am dey one dey call TriniCana aka MuFF PuFF aka Rookmin V. Maharaj....some does call meh whatless and slacker, others call meh bitch.  :'(

Anyways, if you look closely at my profile you will notice that there is nothing to reflect that I am a Brodder...infact Sir Phensic if you look down at my signature; let me post it for you to understand where I'm coming from.
"Milk, Milk, Lemonade around the corner Fudge is made". This should be able to rectify any mis-understanding in your mind that I am man. Unless you know of Men that have man boobs. Just point me in their direction, because I'll have ah view words for them.

I look forward to your continued support and ole talk in the forum and I hope you enjoy your stay. So introduce yourself to the rest of us nah. Like what part of the world ya sitting in, Chinese ?

Brest Regards
Cana  ;D

Cana, I was visualizing but never would I call yuh names other that MuFF PuFF, Trinicana, Cana Rookmin.  De las ting I need if for two oman here in London to have me in dey cross hairs .. Dat eh good for life.

Now Phensic calling yuh "Brodder"  ..... Phensic, doh call she names or yuh go live to regret it.

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2006, 04:40:07 PM »

Dear Phensic

Brest Regards
Cana  ;D

Dear TriniCana aka MuFF PuFF aka Rookmin V. Maharaj (whatless, slacker, etc...)

I was hoping to post a reply before yuh get a chance rest it on meh but the browser end up crashing and I had to get back to wok anyways...*grin*...but alas I am back now fair maden and your chastisement proved to be more Cordial than Coarse, for which I humbly thank thee [Phensic takes a bow].  Thank you for your engaging welcome and acceptance...and I appreciate the humor too.  ;)

Good people don't let my stars misguide you, I have actually been on this site since June 2005 (that may not be long compared to most of you, but its not like yesterday), its only within the last three months or soo that I decided to actively post. Before that I was only a reader (obsiously not a critical one else I would have discovered Madame Cana's gender before my error). However, I am new to the General Discussion area as I have spent more of my time in the SocaWarriors Forum.

I am located in Boston Massachusetts, been here for the last 5 years. I am really loving this site more and more and actually had the good fortune to meet Flex and TallMan(I believe)  in person at the TnT vs USA game back in 2005 in Connectecut via my old padner Samo.  Ah think dey posted a pic of all of us somewhere on this site...anyways...

Thanks for the warm, sincere and humorous welcome TriniCana and ditto to the rest of you..."folks" (ah doh have time to read all ah allyuh profiles to the genders correct).  ;D

Cheers

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2006, 05:05:09 PM »

Dear Phensic

Brest Regards
Cana  ;D

Dear TriniCana aka MuFF PuFF aka Rookmin V. Maharaj (whatless, slacker, etc...)

I was hoping to post a reply before yuh get a chance rest it on meh but the browser end up crashing and I had to get back to wok anyways...*grin*...but alas I am back now fair maden and your chastisement proved to be more Cordial than Coarse, for which I humbly thank thee [Phensic takes a bow].  Thank you for your engaging welcome and acceptance...and I appreciate the humor too.  ;)

Good people don't let my stars misguide you, I have actually been on this site since June 2005 (that may not be long compared to most of you, but its not like yesterday), its only within the last three months or soo that I decided to actively post. Before that I was only a reader (obsiously not a critical one else I would have discovered Madame Cana's gender before my error). However, I am new to the General Discussion area as I have spent more of my time in the SocaWarriors Forum.

I am located in Boston Massachusetts, been here for the last 5 years. I am really loving this site more and more and actually had the good fortune to meet Flex and TallMan(I believe)  in person at the TnT vs USA game back in 2005 in Connectecut via my old padner Samo.  Ah think dey posted a pic of all of us somewhere on this site...anyways...

Thanks for the warm, sincere and humorous welcome TriniCana and ditto to the rest of you..."folks" (ah doh have time to read all ah allyuh profiles to the genders correct).  ;D

Cheers

Well...welcome Phensic...ah like de name. :beermug:
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2006, 05:07:27 PM »
Oh look another man with ah excuse...but you are most welcome Phensic :beermug:
But you forget one important detail in your reply.

Chinese ? ;D

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2006, 05:10:27 PM »

Chinese ? ;D

Thank you...but dahlin, you loose meh on the chinese ting  ???

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2006, 05:11:39 PM »
Thank you too cocoapanyol  :)

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2006, 05:13:11 PM »

Chinese ? ;D

Thank you...but dahlin, you loose meh on the chinese ting  ???

Daise because yuh wasn't hanging out in dis area.  But ah go let Cana answer dat.  She could talk fuh sheself.   ;D

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2006, 05:13:43 PM »

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2006, 07:37:04 PM »
That second one catch meh. I not call that no aftershock nuh... especially at 5.5 that was a proper piece of quake in we craw! The office get quiet quiet when it hit we... not a person made a sound except for a muttered "oh gawd!"  :D

Meh Jamaican bredren sent me a text message after each (he lives and works here in Trini):
Msg1 - "Bomboclat earthquake in Trinidad wa fi kill de Jamaican! Mi no use 2 dem ting de. Mi nearly piss mi pants!"
Msg2 - "Aftrschks! Mi heart is flipping weak! Mi can't tek d pressure! Mi nerves! Cho bombo!"

:rotfl: I call him and if yuh hear how shaky he voice was sounding. He say he accustomed to hurricane where yuh does get the warning it coming.  ;D

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2006, 07:45:17 PM »
Rock and Roll people! Sounds like everyone is ok - hope so.

Heard from my mother-in-law in Point-a-Pierre, so they still have phone down there. Looks like it was centered closer to North though.

6.1 is pretty good - can do some damage if centered in the right place. I've been through a couple of those -including the 89 Loma Prieta quake here in California - that was even a 7.1 or something.

Wait nuh! Why San Juan in central Trinidad? The government move it and eh tell nobody or what? I sure the maxi drive past the Croisse this afternoon.  ;D

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2006, 09:09:50 PM »
 tv6 news said there was one casualty. some man was on a ladder painting a house when d aftershock hit. d neighbour said after d after shock , he hear dis loud noise. on checkin he see d man lifeless body on d ground. didnt ketch d man name though. Sad!!

bless!!!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2006, 08:59:08 AM »
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 19:47:05 +0000

EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE "TRIANGLE OF LIFE", Edited byLarry Linn for MAA Safety Committee brief on 4/13/04.

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager ofthe American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake. The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under their desk.  Every child was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have survived by lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene, unnecessary and I wondered why the children were not in the  aisles. I didn't at the time know that the children were told to hide under something. Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a space or void next to them.

This space is what Icall   the "triangle of life". The larger the object, the stronger, the less it   will compact. The less the object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured. The next time you watch collapsed buildings,  on television, count the "triangles" you see formed. They
are everywhere. It is the most common shape, you will see, in a collapsed building. They are everywhere.

TEN TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY

1) Most everyone who simply "ducks and covers" WHEN BUILDINGS COLLAPSE, arecrushed to death. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are crushed.

2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal position. Youshould too in an earthquake. It is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a smaller void. Get next to an object, next  to a sofa, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave a void next to it.

3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake. If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created. Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply roll off the bed. A safe void will exist
around the bed. Hotels can achieve a much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a  sign on the back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down  on the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.

5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by getting out thedoor or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to a sofa, or large chair.

6) Most everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapseis killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb fall forward or backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!

7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different "moment of frequency" (they swing separately from the main part of the building).The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each other until structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair threads - horribly mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse,stay away from the stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety, even when the rest of the building is not damaged.

8 Get Near the Outer Walls Of Buildings Or Outside Of Them If Possible - It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be blocked.

9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls inan earthquake and crushes their vehicles, which is exactly what happened with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway. The victims of the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were all killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and sitting or lying next to their vehicles. Everyone killed  would have survived if they had been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had columns fall directly across them.   

10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices andother offices with a lot of paper that paper does not compact. Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.

SPREAD THE WORD AND SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE...

1]; } ?>